Organic Free Range Red - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

good

Laurelwood Public House & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: dragonWhale on 02-12-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
MaltsOfGlory

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours slightly over a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is maybe just a hair off white and looks pretty darn fluffy, and maybe a little creamy too. Can't tell about lacing yet, I'll know once I drink the beer. The body is a dark red with hughes of orange and yellow, it's very dark and extremely cloudy for a red ale, I can barely see through it at all. The carbonation looks medium, maybe medium-high. Head retention is pretty excellent so far, something that is becoming pleasantly common from this brewery. I still have almost a whole finger of head left. We'll see how the lacing goes, but so far the beer looks almost perfect, the head is amazing, and I never dislike a cloudy body. The smell on the other hand does not smell like my kind of beer, it smells like a Sam Adams Irish Red, that's how malty it is, and whatever malts they are using, I'm not a fan of. The smell is very malty, pretty sweet, maybe some light caramel, sweet flavors. It's hard to describe, but basically it's all malts, and I don't get any hops on the nose, which is unacceptable for a red ale. We'll see how this tastes, but I don't think I'm going to be impressed. It might be a little ungenerous to give this beer a 3, because it doesn't smell terrible, but I can really just tell I'm not going to like it. Which isn't necessarily the brewers fault if I don't like the malts they use, but it is their fault that they seriously seemed to have skimped out on the hops, in a red ale. So 3 might be a little bit low, and I considered giving it a 3.5 for smell, because it's not a terrible smell, but I'm gonna stick with 3, cause it really doesn't smell all that great. Well, the flavor wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still not that amazing of a beer. First off, there are some hops, not quite as much as I would like for a amber ale, but it's a lot more than I thought there would be. There is also a big malty flavor, but it's not gross like I thought it would be, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does actually fit the beer pretty well. I also do get some spices, maybe cinnamon, nutmeg, or something else. I dunno, those aren't common in red ales, but I'm for sure getting another exciting flavor that isn't just the hops. There is a bit of a creamy flavor to it too. Perhaps some fruit, apples, mangoes, etc. The more I drink this beer, the more complex it seems, and the more I get out of it. I'm also maybe getting a bit of brown sugar? It's a sweet flavor, but not just like they overdid it on the malts or alcohol, or just dumped sugar in the kettle, it's different. It's really not your standard taste, and frankly I would usually extremely penalize a beer for having low hops for the style, which this does, it should have more hops for a red ale. But really, it's only in need of a tiny bit more hops, and actually...the amount of hops they used, and the malts, and just everything....it works. They made a pretty unique beer and they made it work. I'm not jumping out of my seat, maybe because I'm just not ready to fully appreciate what they did, I dunno. Either way, it's a pretty darn good beer. When I first took I sip I thought for sure 3.5, now I'm thinking at least 4, maybe more, well see. The mouthfeel is just fantastic, it's just like the rest of the beer, unorthodox. The carbonation is just perfect for an amber ale, just a hair under medium, it's spot on. The interesting thing about the mouthfeel is that the body is very thick and really creamy, which is not only unusual for a red ale, but it's really crazy that it fits this carbonation. It's the body of a porter, and the carbonation of a red ale, and they somehow made it work together amazingly! Drinkability is very good, it's not too heavy of a beer, you don't get the 6.1% ABV at all. On top of that it's tasty and it has a great mouthfeel, why wouldn't it be easy drinking? Overall I'm really shocked that I ended up liking this beer, granted it did have a fair amount of hops, but it still had a crap loud of malts that I'm usually not a fan of. It's a beer that is really unorthodox and it's fair to say that they took a leap when making this beer, they didn't score a 100, but they got close, it's a very good, and very unique beer.

The appearance turned out to be just fantastic, the entire glass was laced with magnificent foam, from top to bottom, I could hardly even see through the glass that was once clear. The body was good the whole way through, and the head hung around, even if it was only a small rim by the time I got to the bottom of the glass.

When I was getting close to finishing the 22 I was drinking, I somewhat changed my opinion on this beer. Not a big change at all, but I do think that it needed some more hops, the malts did become a little irritating. I'm not gonna change my ratings, but let it be known that a 4 for the taste may be a little generous.

08-31-2011 11:45:24 | More by MaltsOfGlory

Finland

08-19-2013 04:31:18 | More by Arborescence
Fatehunter

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a finger of head on a red body.
The aroma is bright citrus and pine. A little bold but nice.
The taste is moderately bitter throughout with a lemony bitter/sweetness to balance it.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It is a nicely hopped up red ale.

07-02-2013 02:08:36 | More by Fatehunter

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

06-08-2013 09:46:12 | More by praxis16
brentk56

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color capped by an impressive head of foam; the retention was good and it left behind a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Sugary caramel malt combined with piney hops

Taste: The sweet caramel tones hit the tastebuds first, with some apple and stone fruit flavors arriving to keep the sweetness in check; by mid-palate, the piney hops add quite a nice, bitter dimension and they dominate the finish, with a bit of pith, though there is some residual lingering caramel flavor in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Another one of those ambers that gives me hope for the style

Thanks, kemoarps, for the opportunity

06-03-2013 22:05:25 | More by brentk56

Iowa

05-07-2013 20:58:16 | More by markcp
Hoptometrist

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Served on tap into a shaker glass

A- Poured a very dark red/brown color, very clear, white frothy head that chunky lace

S- Kind of faint, but some really nice rich toffee, juicy fruit, and red malts in the aroma

T- Very rich toffee and red malt notes, some chocolate, juicy fruit notes, and finishes with a light citrusy hop bitterness

M- Semi-dry, medium to light bodied, quite smooth

O- Really nice rich malt character with a nice subtle hoppiness on the finish. Really nice red ale with lots of flavor.

05-04-2013 02:08:07 | More by Hoptometrist
zackb

04-14-2013 02:33:11 | More by zackb
Hopmodium

02-21-2013 03:53:34 | More by Hopmodium
Murrhey

Montana

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured on-tap into a pint glass at Good Foot's in Portland, Ore. Reviewed from notes.

A- One finger white head over red coloration with nice clarity.

S- Piney hops forward. Caramel malts. Clean and crisp smell.

T- Hop-forward and sweet. Tasty and smooth. Nice beer.

M- Smooth and dry.

O- Just about average. Decent amber.

02-09-2013 22:34:49 | More by Murrhey