Big O Organic Pale Ale - Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

pDev: n/a
Laurelwood Public House & Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: jdense on 03-21-2011)
3.5/5  rDev n/a

3/5  rDev n/a

3.4/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Laurelwood Public House, Portland, OR

Not a bad APA. Typical profile, no big surprises here. Slightly hazy amber color, small cap of fizzy white head with decent retention. Not too much captured in the aroma; good balance of sweet malts and floral hops. Similar taste, with a sweet malt base and a moderate floral and citrus hoppage. Slightly bitter in the aftertaste. Light-medium body, and easily drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev n/a

Clear golden colour with a small off-white head. Fair head retention.

Crisp, grassy hop character with some nice citrus notes. Good.

A big, fresh hoppy flavour with some nice fruitiness. Good grapefruit flavour and moderate bitterness.

Medium light body with moderate carbonation. Crisp and delicious.

A very nice APA with great hop flavour. Really solid.

3.5/5  rDev n/a

22 oz bottle from Roth’s Sunnyside Market, S.salem. $4.99 Clear copper ale with a nice creme colured head..loads of lace down the glass as i drink Nice fresh floral hop aromas..touch of spruce. Taste is more cirtic/lemony hop..with a pleasant bready malt backing. Palate is exceptable for style.OK. Nice simple Pale..maybe even more of a hoppier lighter English bitter?

4.03/5  rDev n/a

Pours a very nice one and a half finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is very fluffy and pillowy, and bascially completely white in color. Can't really tell about lacing, I'll see how it goes once I drink the beer. The body is for sure on the lighter side for a pale ale, but still it's a pretty standard look, and not a bad color at all. The color is pretty much completely orange, with a lot of yellow when held up to the light. The beer is pretty clear, I can see a good amount of things on the other side of this beer. Pale ales aren't supposed to be super cloudy, but I would hope for something just a little less clear than this. The carbonation looks very high, maybe too high, but we'll see. Head retention is freaking awesome, I still have an entire finger of fluffy, creamy head. We'll see how the lacing goes, but for now, the appearance looks pretty good, decent body, and an amazing looking head. The smell is really awesome, it's just such a perfect balance. So often you find a pale ale that is skimping out on the hops and should really be called an amber ale, this beer isn't, at least on the smell. It has a really good amount of hops on the nose, and just an equally balanced malt note. I think in terms of hoppy beers, I expect pale ales to be the most balanced, and this beer is perfectly balanced, 50/50. A little sweetness, and maybe some pine on the nose, but overall it's just a solid balance between the hops and malts. It doesn't smell like this beer is taking any huge jumps, it doesn't smell very complex, it just smells really balanced and flavorful. I want to maybe give this beer a 4.5 on smell because it's such a big, bold, and balanced smell, but it's not too complex. I'm not saying that a pale ale should be super complex...but adding things is always nice. It's a really great smell, but I think I'm gonna stick with 4, even though it maybe deserves a 4.5. The taste is very nice, pretty much what I expected, maybe not quite as flavorful as I was expecting, but still very nice. Great balance with the malts and the hops. A tiny bit more watery than I was expecting. Maybe some grapefruit, or other lighter fruits in here, it for sure has some some of a fruit essence, so I guess so much for it not being complex, it definitely has more than just hops and malts. Yeah, it has a really nice fruit flavor, it's a really refreshing and sessionable beer, but it's not skimping out on flavor, too much. It's really hard for me to grade this beer, because it does taste just a tad watered down, but it has a perfect balance between hops and malts, and it does have a bit of a complex taste with the fruit, and just the overall refreshing flavor. This beer is so close to a 4.5 for taste, because it's really great in every category, but it's just missing with the watery flavor. The mouthfeel is hard to grade too, just because it's a pale ale, and I guess I'm not a specialist in mouthfeel for pale ales. The carbonation is just about perfect, and the body is a little thin due to the watery feel, but it's big enough for the style. I'm tired of giving this beer 4's, instead of giving them 4.5's for just one tiny reason, so I'll give the mouthfeel a 4.5. The drinkability is fantastic, it's a super sessionable beer, low alcohol content, light, and pretty dang tasty. Overall it's a really awesome beer, and in almost every category I was about one hair away from giving the beer a 4.5. It's a solid beer, and I think it deserves better than a 4.5 in just one category, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Great beer, and just a hair away from being outstanding.

The appearance turned out to be just like everything else, almost amazing. I mean this head is out of this world, creamy, fluffy, pillowy, and to the bottom of the glass I still have a half a finger of head, unbelievable. However, there was zero lacing, ZERO! I don't why these beers do this to me, I have never EVER had a beer with this amazing of a head with no lacing. This is easily in the top 3 or 4 beers in terms of head, and it's also in the bottom 3 or 4 beers in terms of lacing...I'm screwed here. On a side note, the body continued to be good, but nothing too amazing looking. I'm gonna have to give this a 4 just because of the zero lacing, if it had any lacing at ALL it would be a 4.5, and good lacing would be a 5. Just like with every other category, it was just a hair away from being amazing.

Screw it, on the second half of the 22oz, I got some ok lacing out of this beer, so 4.5 for appearance. Which means I don't need to give the mouthfeel a 4.5, so 4 there.

4/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Blitz Ladd SE 11th/Sherman PDX poured during Brewpublic Division Street Pub Crawl 3.19.11.

One finger white head small bubbles good amount of visible carbonation in light gold clear body. Aromatic hops dominate the nose, floral, some citrus notes, dry bready malts. Taste mirrors nose, a bit fruity, grapefruit pith, dry in the middle, but not bitter on back end, easy drinking. Mouthfeel is just on the light side of medium, good effervescence. Lacking in the complexity of the Wry Pale, but I can see this as very sessionable summertime brew. Worth a try.

Big O Organic Pale Ale from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.