2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gudeløs - Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS

GudeløsGudeløs

Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.90% ABV

For every sold beer, a small sum is donated to the Danish Atheistic Society.

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 02-20-2009)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 127 | Reviews: 81 | Show All Ratings:
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Man, is this good beer! I let the bottle warm a bit out of the fridge. Poured with a large, tan, foamy, frothy, thick, billowy head and some lace. Color is an absolutely opaque black brown with lots of little bubble trails. Aroma is roasty, malt, dirt, barnyard, licorice, toffee, dark, coffee, leather, cherries. Flavor is very similar and is very well balance between all main components of sweet, bitter, sour in proportions that fit this style. Body is full, round, lush with a few sharp points and perfect carbonation. Finish is like flavor and is long with some alcohol at the end. Session for slow drinking. A superb beer, even if it is godless.

08-02-2011 21:25:08 | More by drpimento
DersOne

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A-Pours midnight black with a small, frothy, toffee-colored milkshake-like head. Lovely.

S-Big wafts of dark fruits, grap/raspberry/cherry, roasted coffee and sugars. Reminds me of a nice mocha with some fruit on top.

T-Roasted coffee, lots of sugar and booze wake up your palate, very long and complex development from coffee to sweet cherries to smoky tobacco bitterness. A ton of flavor here without being overwhelming.

M-Thick, very similar to a milkshake, very smooth. Everything I love in a great chocolate IS.

O-4.75/5, one of the best I've had of the style to date.

06-14-2012 01:45:22 | More by DersOne
CaptDavyJones

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Writing my 250th BA review, and decided on the Gudeløs to be the beer I want to review.
Poured an almost motor oil consistency pitch black color from a 500 mL bottle into a snifter. Absolutely no light penetration whatsoever. Wicked sense of humor in the name of the beer and the tongue in cheek of donating a Danish krone to the atheist society for every bottle sold; adds a fun touch.
Massive three finger head that dissipates very slowly. The head actually looks to have two shades, the upper film is a lighter shade of mocha whereas the lower half is a much darker shade.
Aroma is all chocolate. Feels like a blend of different kinds and forms of chocolate with hints of malt and some roasted coffee.
Taste upfront has hints of sweetness before the espresso coffee like bitterness mixed with dark chocolate flavors from the malt takes over. The finish is on the drier side with hints of lingering bitterness. Very robust, yet very smooth. The warmth from the alcohol is not very noticeable.
Creamy and silky mouthfeel, coats the palate so very well. Almost full bodied stout. Perfectly balanced with very good mouthfeel and very good drinkability.
Brilliant lacing all along the insides of the glass. This is a visually stunning beer.
One of the best imperial stouts I have had in a long time, and possibly one of the finest imperial stouts from Europe. I am glad I got my hand on a bottle and would not hesitate to get another one if the chance arises.
Very highly recommended, and a 'must-try' for every dark beer (stouts/porters) lover. If you see a bottle, get it, you will not regret it. Cheers !!!

11-19-2011 05:55:17 | More by CaptDavyJones
avalon07

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick texture. There was a huge amount of tan-colored, long-lasting, creamy head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of chocolate, malt, coffee, and maybe a little vanilla.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some spices. Extremely well-balanced and vibrant.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Full-bodied, but not in an oppressive way.

D: Excellent. One of best American doubles out there. Drinkable.

06-28-2010 12:59:49 | More by avalon07
Khazadum

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ahh, the moment I saw this beer brought up I knew I had to have one. Big thanks to Adam of Lincoln Park for bringing it to his store and West Lakeview for having a second bottle for me.

Vision
Inky darkness with that senna head. Lots of head! I love it! Two fingers that lasts and leaves a broad lacing all down my glass. Finally a stout that handles itself appropriately after so long. There are milk chocolate hues when light attempts to penetrate. Not much known about the carbonation other than it sure has it.

Bouquet
Ooo tasty aroma. Its quite well blended, although a little fainter than I'm used to. The black licorice, anise, is present on the tip of the outflow. The burnt grains are not blasted up my nose like so many stouts seem to do, bravo on that. There is a faint sweetness, different the previous candy notation, that reminds me of bourbon, but I know it can't be that.

Flavor Profile
Definitely something different in this ever-growing craft beer world. Right at the moment this flips onto the tip of my tongue I find myself delighted to have purchased this beer.

There is black licorice that doesn't cause me to be nauseous. It is a flavor to be appreciated because it is molded and folded into the greater mass. The burnt grains as a finish are distinct without being carcinogenic. The chocolate malts are not bitter dark chocolate but milk chocolate ones in the middle that don't sicken me as I continue to drink.

Oral Sensations
Perfectly tingly, clingy where I want it to be, and one of the smoothest beers I have ever drank. There is an unbelievably quality of being velvet and liquid at once.

I rarely find a Russian imperial this fulfilling. I just can't believe it. When I find it hiding on my lips or palate, I gratefully lap it up.

Conclusions
I would drink this every night of the week for months at a time. I don't know of many beers that I could or would want to drink day after day, but this is it. It is the best compromise you can have without actually compromising. To continue being a cliche, it is the best of both worlds!

The nine percent isn't even a problem. This beer begs to be sipped thus keeping you from going down a slippery slope.

09-08-2010 04:07:50 | More by Khazadum
CMB2012

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this one on-tap at the Local Option. Poured into a 10oz snifter.

Pours a dark roasted coffee color with a nice two finger mocha head.

The brew smells of dark bitter chocolates, reminiscent of a Mexican cafe mocha; mixed with some sweet milk sugar and dark roasted malts.

The taste matches the smell closely, there is some spice and very slight alcohol burn, but mostly just a very smooth, full and velvety beer that if I didn't know the actual ABV I would say I could drink all night long.

I would love to find this beer bottled, and I would definitely drink it again.

02-02-2011 00:47:40 | More by CMB2012
larryi86

Delaware

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle poured into a tulip

A- Black with a three finger mocha head.

S- Dark fruits, licorice, smoky, roasted coffee, chocolate, well balanced.

T- Bittersweet chocolate, some roasted coffee, licorice, some fruits and some nice smokiness, great balance and complexity.

M- Smooth, good carbonation, creamy, full body.

O- A very nice stout, gets even better as it warms, love the smokiness it has, and the chocolate is great too. Can't wait to pick up another bottle.

01-03-2014 17:55:42 | More by larryi86
davod23

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Drink a good beer and support the godless masses? Fantastic then! Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

The pour is fairly thick and quite black. Holding it to the light reveals a slight ruddy edge to the beer. Beautiful sandy cap on top, initially three fingers, but recedes to about a half-finger and stays there for most of the beer. Good lacing. A swirl produces beautiful, cascading tiny bubbles down the sides of the glass... truly an excellent-looking imperial stout, one of the best I've seen.

Aroma is lovely. Requisite roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Anise and some smoke - though I tend to be very sensitive to both of these components, this beer gets it right on the level. I think that's impressive, because I've hurt other beers because of their anise (e.g., Ten Fidy) and smoke (30th Anny SN beers). Damned impressive. Perhaps a touch of vanilla in there somewhere too, but the dominant aroma is darker in nature.

Taste is also quite nice. A little sweetness. Again, the chocolate plays more in the background, opening up the way for roasted malt and coffee flavors. Anise is there, but as a supporting player instead of the star. Smokey, maybe only very slightly peaty. Touch of bittering hops at the finish, balancing this brew out nicely.

Nice full mouthfeel, excellent level of carbonation, finish is dry-ish. Slightly warming. Drinkability is great for this beer, I'm sorry that my half of the bottle was gone so soon.

I will need to get more of this beer to support my heathen friends in Denmark. This beer is seriously, seriously good. It's not over-the-top craft insanity with booze or crazy flavors (though I like those kinds of beers as well)... however, it is an expertly crafted example of the style. Highly recommended.

08-27-2010 22:26:03 | More by davod23
pastradul

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time. Was able to have it a chocolate and beer dinner at stone brewery!!!!

Heavy pour (asked th server if I could keep a finished bottle and he finished the bottle into my glass... resulting in a more the double sized pour compared to every one else' glass!) into a brandy snifter resulting in a thick big bubble head.

Appearance is dark brown in the body with a light mocha head.

The nose is lots of medium to dark roast coffee with some dense chocolate and booze.. slighlty sweet booze.

The taste is wonderfull... lots of coffee upfront with a great oaky vanilla cream flowing over the mid to back palate. finishing with just a slight warmth.

The mouthfeel is so silky as it warms up... like a thin milkshake.

This was the highlight of the dinner for me beer wise!

09-27-2010 05:59:27 | More by pastradul
Czez

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

a. warm black with lingering, fine tan head

s. strong dusky licorice, cocoa, caraway

t. licorice, coffee, dark chocolate, with nice hoppiness

m. chewy, with medium carbonaation

d. lovely, balanced

Sat well. Would go out of my way to drink this one again, and not just for the Atheists.

03-16-2011 04:24:09 | More by Czez
mountsnow1010

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Beautiful thick mocha head that leaves tons of lacing, nice thick black body.

S - Deep coffee, chocolate and some spice. Maybe a cinnamon like smell? It's hard to tell. All I know is that I really like it. Not overbearingly pungent, either.

T - Nice thick stouty flavors. Chocolate, with a nice thick malty backbone. Very tasty. I'm having trouble describing this.

MF - Super creamy, no alcohol burn. Very nice!

O - Delicious beer, but pricy. Still worth having at least once, or more.

Searched all over Lund, Sweden and Copenhagen for this beer.

Found it 6 months later at State Line Liquors in MD.

07-26-2011 00:41:46 | More by mountsnow1010
jegross2

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Reviewing the Gudeløs from Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS (a brewery from Denmark).
Score: 94

9 oz tap pour served in a St. Benardus Watou snifter glass at the Lincoln Park beer geek bar The Local Option (located on the DePaul campus, more or less)

Appearance: Pours a 100% opaque, ink black color with two fingers of soapy mocha head that slowly settles into a thin layer. Amazing lacing. 4.5/5

Smell: Roasted chocolate and dark fruit. Some roasted coffee, lots of roasted malts. Caramel and light vanilla too. Burnt sugar, milk chocolate and hints of marshmallow. The aroma is loaded with chocolate 4.5/5

Taste: Roasted unsweetened chocolate throughout. Just tons and tons of roasted chocolate here. Some dark fruit and light caramel on the mid-palate. Some chewy raisins and fig on the mid-palate and in the finish. Lingering unsweetened bitter chocolate finish. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with light-medium carbonation. Finish is extremely dry and bitter. This is very thick and viscous stout that coats the palate with chocolate flavors. 4.5/5

Overall: A top notch imperial stout. I recently traded for a couple of bottles of this European beer, and I can't wait to try this one again. I would not be surprised if I enjoyed this brew even more in a non-bar setting, where I can serve it at my preferred temperature without "environmental" aromatic distractions.

Recommendation: A must-try stout for both beer geeks and casual beer drinkers alike. All must revel in the chocolaty goodness.

Food pairings: Warm chocolate cake.

Cost: $9 for a 9 oz pour at the bar.

12-30-2011 22:01:14 | More by jegross2
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Absolutely black with a medium chocolate foamy head like the froth on a glass of chocolate milk. A bit craggy on the surface, the head stays greater than two fingers thick for several minutes; great retention. This looks terrific.
Smell is a bit lactic and reminds me a little of chocolate milk, too. Some whiskey-like alcohol notes are certainly detectable, but nothing too offensive or overpowering. I suppose if there were such a thing as an "imperial milk stout", this would be it. Smells wonderful.
Begins with sweet chocolatey, coffee-like malts turning slightly boozey in the middle accompanied by a slightly "burnt sugar"-like flavour, then going moderately bitter with delightful, earthy hops, the sweet malts still vying for attention.
While certainly a thick, heavy stout, I could have actually taken this a little thicker still. Carbonation was quite modest and just enough to tickle your palate. Still very nice, indeed.
Given the 8,9% abv ( well concealed ) and how thick this is, I personally feel that for a stout of this calibre, this is very drinkable.
A very well crafted stout that I will certainly seek out in the future! Very, very well done!!

08-15-2010 21:55:08 | More by SilentSabre
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

16.9oz bottle. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours dark brown/black with a large 3 finger light brown head that is quite dense and foamy. Leaves a ring of lacing and a few drips but holds a nice creamy cap.

Aroma is premium coffee, chocolate, smoke, peat, vanilla, some dark fruits, roasted malts. Great strength, particularly the chocolate and coffee. Everything comes together perfectly, wonderful aroma.

Flavor is more premium coffee, espresso, fancy-pants chocolate, roasted malts, plums, figs, raisins, a bit of cherries, vanilla, a light hop presence as well with some citrus, fair sweetness, mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, low to medium carbonation.

I've been waiting for this for quite and while and damn was it worth the wait. Scary drinkable for an Imperial Stout as the body isn't too heavy and it's not boozy whatsoever. Almost somewhere between an IS and a Baltic Porter. Damned good stuff and for a great cause too!!!

01-20-2011 03:45:49 | More by elgiacomo
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

500ml bottle poured into tulip 8/9/11

A pretty darn black with a giant mocha head that retains fairly well leaving some random patches of lace

S heaps of coco powder with a little smoke, licorice, molasses, faint coffee and booze with some candied cherry

T as it smells but the coco powder is replaced by dark bakers chocolate, just a little sweetness and the coffee has a darker roast then the smell, perhaps some raisin I couldn't smell too. The nose picks up the smoke but the mouth can taste the charred wood, a great tasting beer for sure

M a little oily and slightly sticky on the lips, pretty thick and lingering flavors let me know I drank a real beer recently, barley detectable heat and for 8.9% were doing pretty well

O this one lacks nowhere, rich and flavorful for sure, seek this one out because it's awesome

A great addition to the already stacked Alberta shelves, I'll be picking up a few more of these to drink and perhaps age depending on my willpower. I like the fact I'm supporting Danish atheists although I myself may be only agnostic, I'm fairly confident that it's much more likely that all religions are mistaken opposed too correct. I've yet too determine if a "God" exists and with my feeble human mind I doubt I ever will.
"Since no one really knows anything about god those who think they do are trouble makers"
"Rabi'a Al-Basri"

09-09-2011 03:14:27 | More by wordemupg
SammyDavisJrJrJr

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into the GLBC Christmas Ale Snifter, while listening to First Aid Kit's "Hard Believer" (seemed appropriate...) No date code that I can find. Hope the Danish Atheist Society uses my Danish Crown well.

A - Very dark brown body topped by a mocha head. Good retention and lacing. Looks like a tasty stout, if you believe in such a thing.

S - Nice upfront smokey, roasty aroma. Undertones of anise and dark chocolate seem very appropriate. The aroma does not overwhelm, but still maintains good expressiveness. Textbook aroma.

F - Rich baker's chocolate and whiskey-like smoke balance each other out in the entry. Hints of esters and prickly alcohol start out mild and build to the swallow. The finish starts out grainy, then lingers with whiskey smoke and sweetness, plus anise-like herbal qualities lingering. Nice complexity, with the exception of the sweet smoke, no particular flavor seems to dominate, and I feel like I am picking up something new and different with each sip.

M - Not as intensely viscous as it's American counterparts, but the body is on par with most other Scandinavian Imperial Stouts I've had. Carbonation is creamy, but the alcohol provides enough prickles to give this beer some scrubbing power.

D - For me, this falls under the Nøgne ø category of fantastic textbook RIS's. They have all the right flavors, great balance, wonderful complexity. They might not be as over-the-top as some of our favorite American Stouts, but are great examples of brewing. Not just a cute marketing ploy, this is an excelent Russian Imperial Stout.

08-27-2010 03:59:00 | More by SammyDavisJrJrJr
ChrisPro

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF #4.

16? oz. bottle poured into my Victory tulip.

Huge molasses and caramel pops out of the bottle and tells me I'll be dealing with an english barleywine or old ale. As it pours, the dark mahogany is telling me I've got an old ale on my hands.

Pours dark brown with a huge 3 finger mocha head. This pillow of foam receded into the glass over minutes, leaving some crater-filled froth and hints of lace on the glass.

Nose of molasses, caramel, and a lot of vanilla. Possibly some slight oak? Not incredibly complex, but what it has is fantastic.

What a punch of flavor in my mouth! This beer is incredibly well-made. Some huge sweetness up front with a perfect balance of roasted bitterness on the finish. Still am not 100% sure if this is in oak at all. As it warmes, there's some more fruit notes that come out, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a big belgian quad...but only for a second.

Very full-bodied beer with just slight carbonation (even with the ridiculous head) perfect for the style. This beer is not hot at all and I would not be surprised if this beer had a couple years on it, though I don't pick up any good (or bad) oxidation notes making me think this is lower in ABV or just a well-made 10% old ale.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer! It somewhat reminds me of adam and I'd kill for a side-by-side. Whatever this beer is, I'll be seeking it out again since I just can't stop drinking it. Still set on this being an old ale.

4.5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

The Reveal: Gudeløs Imperial Stout by Bryggeriet Djaevlebryg

Wow! I remember reading about Godless before it got imported here but completely forgot about it. What an awesome curve ball. After seeing that it's an imperial stout, I do get a little more roastiness, but i'd still call this an old ale. Great beer regardless.

03-03-2011 04:36:30 | More by ChrisPro
notchucknorris

4.45/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours pitch black with a monster khaki colored head and tremendous lacing.

S: Some fantastic dark flavors. Powdery dark chocolate, licorice, molasses and hints of charred wood. Traces of tobacco. A hint of some fruit in there as well which I can only attempt to identify as lychee. Smells pretty great.

T: Lots of dark chocolate and roasted malt. A ton of rich chocolate sweetness throughout. Rich chocolate cake and brownie. Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Smooth and velvety, really bringing out the sweeter elements. Finishes with some bittersweet chocolate and charred oak. I almost never say this, but this would be fantastic with ice cream.

07-06-2012 01:39:47 | More by notchucknorris
detlefchef

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

For starters, you've got to love the story behind this beer. The name translates to "godless" and a portion of the proceeds are donated to the Athiest Society of Denmark.

That said, it also happens to be a damned fine beer. It pours a deep, walnut color with toffee colored head that lingers. It smells of ripe olives and dried herbs and tastes of roasted meats and cocoa. Though there's certainly some RS, it has an unmistakable savory nature that I really dig. The finish lingers and is reminiscent of the Chinese sweet black bean sauce I just tasted on roast pork.

Nothing about this beer is out of balance and it drinks so well.

07-19-2010 00:49:31 | More by detlefchef
Sigmund

Norway

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

500 ml bottle, from Voldby Købmandsgård. ABV is 8.9%. Ingredients include 6 kinds of barley malts, roasted barley, 3 kinds of hops, demerara sugar, black syrup and raisin syrup (+ water and yeast, of course). Pitch black colour, huge brown head. Roasty and somewhat sweetish aroma, notes of dark malts, syrup, bakery, coffee and chocolate, hints of liquorice. Sweet and roasty flavour, notes of strong coffee, dark and pale malts (with a good deal of residual sugar) and dark syrup, with a distinct hoppy and roasty bitterness in the aftertaste, hints of English liquorice. Regard it as an atheist product or as a gift of God - this is under any circumstance a mighty powerful beer!

08-24-2010 17:40:22 | More by Sigmund
GbVDave

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a Hommelbier snifter.

A: Pours an appropriately sinister shade of black. Sitting on top, initially, was about 3 fingers of creamy, dark khaki foam. Retention was incredible. Those three fingers slowly melted down to a mottled, 1/4 finger layer of skim that stuck around for the long haul...possibly to keep the evil contained within the glass. Lace started with a couple of rings, some webbing, and finally, full-on sheets.

S: Killer nose here. TONS of drunken dark fruit, fudge, vanilla bean, blackened malt, milk chocolate covered cherries, char, and finishing with a touch of fresh ground espresso.

T: Incredibly close to the smell. I did, however, notice a bit more charred oak/campfire in the taste. The chocolate covered cherries are a bit more pronounced, as well.

M: I loved the fact that this wasn't like drinking a stout milkshake, yet I didn't think it to be thin or slight in the least. Nice levels of sweet that layer almost perfectly with bitter, dry, spicy, and finishing with a suggestion of citrus tang. After the slight fruitiness of the finish, a long and dry spiciness settles in and tingles for ages.

D: A fantastic Imperial Stout that achieves all of this with relatively down-to-earth abv. Only towards the very end of the bottle does the spiciness become a bit too much. I'm thinking an 11.2oz serving size would've netted this another .5 in the drinkability score.

09-28-2010 00:39:38 | More by GbVDave
PEIhop

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Gudelos pours a deep, motor-oil black with a very foamy two-finger head. As the heads reached its final retention levels, it created a film covering across the beer's surface. Around the bottom of the head, ruby-red highlights are accentuated when the glass is held up against the light. There are many streams of small-bubbled carbonation that rise to the surface in straight lines. After consuming half a pint, there are lacings that remind me of organic molecules all over the glass.

The aroma of this beer is full of dark-bitter chocolate. To complement the chocolateness of the Gudelos are subtle black licorice notes with a hint of burnt sugar or molasses. To my surprise, this stout, for its very dark color, did not contain a prominent roasted quality.
The taste profile was very layered. The first wave washed chocolate all over the palate...so delicious. The second wave contained the black licorice that is present in the aromatics of the beer. The third and final wave (very subtle) of the taste profile reminded me of saturated coffee grains.
I appreciate the lighter mouthfeel of dry stouts, but I truly enjoy the higher viscosity and medium-bodied silkiness of imperial stouts. The Gudelos exudes these qualities exceptionally well. The silkiness contains just the right amount of carbonation leading to a impressively crafted beer.
The is a great imperial stout! If you are as fond of stouts as I am, The Gudelos is a must-try. At 8.9% ABV, I can see myself enjoying many of these devilish stouts during cold New England winter nights.

12-02-2011 03:09:52 | More by PEIhop
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

From a 500 ml brown bottle. Massive head development on the pour, a solid foamy mocha coloured entity with amazing retentio that settles very slowly. It takes a few attempts and some patience to fill the glass. The body is deep pitch opaque black, faint almond nimbus when held to light. Thick patches of lacing left behind.

Rich cocoa, molasses and rummy raisins greet the nose, along with figs and a present alcohol warmth to round it out.

The first sip tricks the mind into thinking that this is dessert. A cross between lava cake, devil's food cake, and piece of high quality dark chocolate. Rich dark chocolate up front in the flavour, while notes of roasty and smoky malt, plus coffee rise up from behind that in the middle. Subtle plums, Concord grapes and black cherry also joins the party around that point, then finishing with a dry roasty char, woody and smoky notes lingering into the aftertaste along with some spicy and herbal hops.

Medium-full mouthfeel, Full silky slick texture,a bit oily at times, with low carbonation.

This RIS is a serious contender on several levels. Intense but not overwhelming, complex yet cohesive, and practically dessert on its own if you wish to serve it that way. Definitely worth going back for more, this is definitely a brewery to watch.

01-02-2012 07:12:41 | More by IronDjinn
RblWthACoz

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Just so you know, a whole $0.18 cents of the money you spent on this beer will be donated to the Danish Atheist Society. Give me a break already. Any beer that's heavily promoting a defined religious agenda is bringing too much of the shit in the mix that I drink good beer in order to get away from. It's inflammatory, idiotic, and pointless. At least in a fruitful sense. And if it were supposed to be promoting allowing people not to believe in God, why exactly is this the Devil's Brewery? Soooo...we don't believe in God, but we're going to promote the Devil? God damn, this just sounds so contrived and stupid. I don't want any religion mixed in with my craft beer. This is partially my escape from the taxing realities of the world. Don't be bringing it to me on my free time. (That being said; I don't care how good the beer is, I'll never buy it again.)

So, on to how good the beer is. It's very good. Saying it's smooth is doing it a disservice. It's extremely smooth. Really excellent chocolate malty tones. This beer seems well balanced on numerous aspects. The carbonation is mildly high, but it all still comes together beautifully. This is an easy drinking imperial stout, which sounds like it might be a deadly concoction, considering the style. Overall, it's pretty smooth and a good beer.

05-09-2012 05:30:26 | More by RblWthACoz
rarbring

Sweden

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

The beer is dark brown, almost black, a nice firm head with small bubbles, leaving good lacing.

The smell has a honey sweetness, roasted bread, coffee and cocoa beans, nuts.

A lot of roasted tones, brown sugar, dark toast, coffee and chocolate but a good balancing bitterness.

Medium low carbonation, smooth, slightly oily, a complex body.

A very enjoyable stout, especially after six sour bombs ... at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

11-21-2010 14:54:33 | More by rarbring