Gudeløs - Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS

GudeløsGudeløs

Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.90% ABV

For every sold beer, a small sum is donated to the Danish Atheistic Society.

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 02-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a Hommelbier snifter.

A: Pours an appropriately sinister shade of black. Sitting on top, initially, was about 3 fingers of creamy, dark khaki foam. Retention was incredible. Those three fingers slowly melted down to a mottled, 1/4 finger layer of skim that stuck around for the long haul...possibly to keep the evil contained within the glass. Lace started with a couple of rings, some webbing, and finally, full-on sheets.

S: Killer nose here. TONS of drunken dark fruit, fudge, vanilla bean, blackened malt, milk chocolate covered cherries, char, and finishing with a touch of fresh ground espresso.

T: Incredibly close to the smell. I did, however, notice a bit more charred oak/campfire in the taste. The chocolate covered cherries are a bit more pronounced, as well.

M: I loved the fact that this wasn't like drinking a stout milkshake, yet I didn't think it to be thin or slight in the least. Nice levels of sweet that layer almost perfectly with bitter, dry, spicy, and finishing with a suggestion of citrus tang. After the slight fruitiness of the finish, a long and dry spiciness settles in and tingles for ages.

D: A fantastic Imperial Stout that achieves all of this with relatively down-to-earth abv. Only towards the very end of the bottle does the spiciness become a bit too much. I'm thinking an 11.2oz serving size would've netted this another .5 in the drinkability score.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time. Was able to have it a chocolate and beer dinner at stone brewery!!!!

Heavy pour (asked th server if I could keep a finished bottle and he finished the bottle into my glass... resulting in a more the double sized pour compared to every one else' glass!) into a brandy snifter resulting in a thick big bubble head.

Appearance is dark brown in the body with a light mocha head.

The nose is lots of medium to dark roast coffee with some dense chocolate and booze.. slighlty sweet booze.

The taste is wonderfull... lots of coffee upfront with a great oaky vanilla cream flowing over the mid to back palate. finishing with just a slight warmth.

The mouthfeel is so silky as it warms up... like a thin milkshake.

This was the highlight of the dinner for me beer wise!

3.33/5  rDev -20%

A - Clear very dark brown almost opaque. Big, quickly dissipating tannish head.

S - Coffee, dark malts, dark fruits (raisins, prunes). Lite alcohol.

F/M - Slightly acrid burnt malts, dark dried fruits, medium bitterness accentuated by the roasty malts. Lite solventy alcohol which is actually quite pleasant. Otherwise a little muddy. Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. A little astringent on the finish with a little warming in the belly.

D - OK. More than a glass of this would be too much. Thankfully I'm sharing this with a friend.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A - A nice deep black with a huge tan head. Head was a little too big and the bubbles not fine enough, but it was still a great looking beer.

S - Nice wood, a little bit of roasted malts, big brownie chocolate smell. This smells very appealing, with a slight undertone of some sort of sweet berries, very subtle.

T - Some dark fruit, more on the berry side though then the figs/raisins that typically are associated with that for me. Confectioners sugar seems mixed with chocolate, nice burnt malts and something buttery on the end. This has a somewhat milky taste to it.

M - Creamy, heavier side of medium bodied. Finished just the slightest bit thin and just a little too much carbonation.

D - Good stuff, feels a little bigger than it's 8.9%, which is not a bad thing. This is a good tasting stout that I could gladly drink again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Founders snifter. Got this one in a trade with BigSexy410. Thanks.

A - Black as a beer can be with a big brown/tan head that won't go away

S - Roasted malty goodness with a hint of dried fruits giving it a nice sweet aroma.

T - Follows the smell closely. Big roast taste mixed with a sweet dried fruit flavor. Remins me a lot of an Irish Dry Stout.

M - medium to heavy body with a good amount of carbonation. Really really dry for such a big beer.

D - Goes down real easy. I find it hard to believe this is an 8.9% beer, it drinks like a 5% Irish Dry Stout. I'm glad I got to drink this beer and support a good cause at the same time. I would drink this again.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to ShogoKawada for adding to my cellar of these guys - yum! Poured from a 500mL bottle into my Portsmouth tulip.

Deep seal brown, opaque body crowned by four fingers of camel/tan cream. Incredibly dense muscular saturn-ring lacing fed by a violent stream of upthrusting bubbles. Very impressive.

Medium-roast fine coffee, cocoa, molasses, chocolate malt, intensely inviting aromatics though with a certain freshness rather than lushness...faint berry notes underneath as well.

Ironic that the first words to escape my lips after tasting this were "Oh God" seeing how I'm basically an atheist myself. Truly decadent chocolate licqueur notes with multiple layers of roast malt, licorice, and esters. Rich clean bready finish, faintly herbal with leather, coffee, cream, charred currants, and light spice cake as well. Hops offer a light bitterness but not much flavor that I can perceive.

Chewey, thick, full-bodied, well carbonated, moderately astringent, but not slick mouthfeel. Very good.

A classic yet novel RIS - a suitable libation to be enjoyed while watching Häxan...

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ahh, the moment I saw this beer brought up I knew I had to have one. Big thanks to Adam of Lincoln Park for bringing it to his store and West Lakeview for having a second bottle for me.

Vision
Inky darkness with that senna head. Lots of head! I love it! Two fingers that lasts and leaves a broad lacing all down my glass. Finally a stout that handles itself appropriately after so long. There are milk chocolate hues when light attempts to penetrate. Not much known about the carbonation other than it sure has it.

Bouquet
Ooo tasty aroma. Its quite well blended, although a little fainter than I'm used to. The black licorice, anise, is present on the tip of the outflow. The burnt grains are not blasted up my nose like so many stouts seem to do, bravo on that. There is a faint sweetness, different the previous candy notation, that reminds me of bourbon, but I know it can't be that.

Flavor Profile
Definitely something different in this ever-growing craft beer world. Right at the moment this flips onto the tip of my tongue I find myself delighted to have purchased this beer.

There is black licorice that doesn't cause me to be nauseous. It is a flavor to be appreciated because it is molded and folded into the greater mass. The burnt grains as a finish are distinct without being carcinogenic. The chocolate malts are not bitter dark chocolate but milk chocolate ones in the middle that don't sicken me as I continue to drink.

Oral Sensations
Perfectly tingly, clingy where I want it to be, and one of the smoothest beers I have ever drank. There is an unbelievably quality of being velvet and liquid at once.

I rarely find a Russian imperial this fulfilling. I just can't believe it. When I find it hiding on my lips or palate, I gratefully lap it up.

Conclusions
I would drink this every night of the week for months at a time. I don't know of many beers that I could or would want to drink day after day, but this is it. It is the best compromise you can have without actually compromising. To continue being a cliche, it is the best of both worlds!

The nine percent isn't even a problem. This beer begs to be sipped thus keeping you from going down a slippery slope.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to Alistar for this one by way of IS BIF 2. Poured from a 16oz. bottle into a Blue Point snifter.

A: Gentle pour yields a slowly creeping 2.5 finger, fluffy, dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is wave-like. Thick and ample with great cling.

S: Nose is burnt malt, a slight coffee bean sourness, faint chocolate, and liquorice. Not anything out of the ordinary and not particularly aromatic.

T: Dark fruit flavors engulf my senses from the first sip. Prunes, raisin sweetness, anise, and plum are all present to some extent. Supported by a backbone of rich chocolate and sweet burnt malts. Hop bitterness is surprisingly noticeable but relegated to the back. Caramel and toffee creep in towards the end which is exceedingly sweet and a bit spicy. Aftertaste is one of brown sugar and butterscotch.

M: Medium to full bodied and a bit too carbonated. Feel is abrasive at first but smooths out considerably as this one warms. Finish is accented and aftertaste is sticky and lingers.

D: I'd definitely consider this one a hidden gem. Not talked about at all, this is a great representation of the Imperial Stout style. A bit overcarbonated in my opinion but the complexity and balance of this one make up for it. Worth a try!

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Drink a good beer and support the godless masses? Fantastic then! Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

The pour is fairly thick and quite black. Holding it to the light reveals a slight ruddy edge to the beer. Beautiful sandy cap on top, initially three fingers, but recedes to about a half-finger and stays there for most of the beer. Good lacing. A swirl produces beautiful, cascading tiny bubbles down the sides of the glass... truly an excellent-looking imperial stout, one of the best I've seen.

Aroma is lovely. Requisite roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Anise and some smoke - though I tend to be very sensitive to both of these components, this beer gets it right on the level. I think that's impressive, because I've hurt other beers because of their anise (e.g., Ten Fidy) and smoke (30th Anny SN beers). Damned impressive. Perhaps a touch of vanilla in there somewhere too, but the dominant aroma is darker in nature.

Taste is also quite nice. A little sweetness. Again, the chocolate plays more in the background, opening up the way for roasted malt and coffee flavors. Anise is there, but as a supporting player instead of the star. Smokey, maybe only very slightly peaty. Touch of bittering hops at the finish, balancing this brew out nicely.

Nice full mouthfeel, excellent level of carbonation, finish is dry-ish. Slightly warming. Drinkability is great for this beer, I'm sorry that my half of the bottle was gone so soon.

I will need to get more of this beer to support my heathen friends in Denmark. This beer is seriously, seriously good. It's not over-the-top craft insanity with booze or crazy flavors (though I like those kinds of beers as well)... however, it is an expertly crafted example of the style. Highly recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into the GLBC Christmas Ale Snifter, while listening to First Aid Kit's "Hard Believer" (seemed appropriate...) No date code that I can find. Hope the Danish Atheist Society uses my Danish Crown well.

A - Very dark brown body topped by a mocha head. Good retention and lacing. Looks like a tasty stout, if you believe in such a thing.

S - Nice upfront smokey, roasty aroma. Undertones of anise and dark chocolate seem very appropriate. The aroma does not overwhelm, but still maintains good expressiveness. Textbook aroma.

F - Rich baker's chocolate and whiskey-like smoke balance each other out in the entry. Hints of esters and prickly alcohol start out mild and build to the swallow. The finish starts out grainy, then lingers with whiskey smoke and sweetness, plus anise-like herbal qualities lingering. Nice complexity, with the exception of the sweet smoke, no particular flavor seems to dominate, and I feel like I am picking up something new and different with each sip.

M - Not as intensely viscous as it's American counterparts, but the body is on par with most other Scandinavian Imperial Stouts I've had. Carbonation is creamy, but the alcohol provides enough prickles to give this beer some scrubbing power.

D - For me, this falls under the Nøgne ø category of fantastic textbook RIS's. They have all the right flavors, great balance, wonderful complexity. They might not be as over-the-top as some of our favorite American Stouts, but are great examples of brewing. Not just a cute marketing ploy, this is an excelent Russian Imperial Stout.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

500 ml bottle, from Voldby Købmandsgård. ABV is 8.9%. Ingredients include 6 kinds of barley malts, roasted barley, 3 kinds of hops, demerara sugar, black syrup and raisin syrup (+ water and yeast, of course). Pitch black colour, huge brown head. Roasty and somewhat sweetish aroma, notes of dark malts, syrup, bakery, coffee and chocolate, hints of liquorice. Sweet and roasty flavour, notes of strong coffee, dark and pale malts (with a good deal of residual sugar) and dark syrup, with a distinct hoppy and roasty bitterness in the aftertaste, hints of English liquorice. Regard it as an atheist product or as a gift of God - this is under any circumstance a mighty powerful beer!

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Absolutely black with a medium chocolate foamy head like the froth on a glass of chocolate milk. A bit craggy on the surface, the head stays greater than two fingers thick for several minutes; great retention. This looks terrific.
Smell is a bit lactic and reminds me a little of chocolate milk, too. Some whiskey-like alcohol notes are certainly detectable, but nothing too offensive or overpowering. I suppose if there were such a thing as an "imperial milk stout", this would be it. Smells wonderful.
Begins with sweet chocolatey, coffee-like malts turning slightly boozey in the middle accompanied by a slightly "burnt sugar"-like flavour, then going moderately bitter with delightful, earthy hops, the sweet malts still vying for attention.
While certainly a thick, heavy stout, I could have actually taken this a little thicker still. Carbonation was quite modest and just enough to tickle your palate. Still very nice, indeed.
Given the 8,9% abv ( well concealed ) and how thick this is, I personally feel that for a stout of this calibre, this is very drinkable.
A very well crafted stout that I will certainly seek out in the future! Very, very well done!!

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Thank you Casey!!

A- Poured from the bottle with a substantial rocky, tan colored head (very proteinaceous); which slowly receded to a hazy layer and incredibly sticky lacing over a completely opaque jet-black body. No visible carbonation- although any carbonation present would be easily obscured by the opacity of the brew.

S- The nose, first and foremost, reminds me of black olive juice. Underneath that, you have some roasted malt, some Belgian-ish yeast aromatics... and that's pretty much the nose in it's entirely. Surprisingly lacking in the aroma department, but still above average.

T- Wow- incredibly complex flavor. Starts out initially sweet, with flavors of stewed or crystal malt. This is quickly overtaken by a strong moderate-alpha-acid hop bitterness, and a substantial roasty bitterness as well. In the finish, the drink is dried-out, and and the bitterness is further amplified; lingering on the tongue.

M- Medium-plus body with a slight creaminess imparted by a soft carbonation. Alcohol is exceptionally well-hidden. Mild astringency overall.

D- Quite drinkable for the strength, and the alcohol is very well hidden throughout.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours black with a one-finger brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts with good amounts of sweet molasses and hints of semi-sweet chocolate. As the beer warms the molasses aromas intensify.

Tastes similar to how it smells although the roasted malts are a bit lighter. Equal parts of roasted malts and dark molasses flavors kick things off. Midway through the sip the flavors turn slightly bitter with the addition of unsweetened chocolate flavors. The chocolate and roasted malt flavors carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was impressed with this bad boy - a very well balanced beer that's easy to drink despite the somewhat high ABV. Well worth a shot.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Thanks very much to garlicfire for sharing. Served in a tulip. Poured one shade shy of black with a quarter-inch, khaki-colored head. Nose reveals coffee, cocoa, lactose and coffee syrup. Flavor profile follows the nose; however, a roasty quality rounds it all out nicely. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and lightly carbonated. An incredibly easy-drinking IS. Really top notch.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

For starters, you've got to love the story behind this beer. The name translates to "godless" and a portion of the proceeds are donated to the Athiest Society of Denmark.

That said, it also happens to be a damned fine beer. It pours a deep, walnut color with toffee colored head that lingers. It smells of ripe olives and dried herbs and tastes of roasted meats and cocoa. Though there's certainly some RS, it has an unmistakable savory nature that I really dig. The finish lingers and is reminiscent of the Chinese sweet black bean sauce I just tasted on roast pork.

Nothing about this beer is out of balance and it drinks so well.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick texture. There was a huge amount of tan-colored, long-lasting, creamy head. Very good lacing.

S: A strong aroma of chocolate, malt, coffee, and maybe a little vanilla.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some spices. Extremely well-balanced and vibrant.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Full-bodied, but not in an oppressive way.

D: Excellent. One of best American doubles out there. Drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Bottle split on the F train on the way back home from a nice little sendoff. Thanks to Lubiere for the bottle.

Well we just so happened to have a couple Duck-Rabbit snifters on hand, so why not? As colorful & awkward drinking out of these where on a public train, we barely spilled a drop. :D

Latex black color with a solid amount of ashy/newspaper-colored head.

Smells of charred bread, unsweetened chocolate, lactose, & a little bonus of sweet unfermentables. Touch of smoke coming off it too.

Taste was pretty nice for what is considered a middle of the road imperial stout these days. Very nice mix of charred malt & sharp, bittersweet cocoa. Small trace of coffee grounds. Almost sooty with roast. Milky, but not syrupy. Lots of rich/caramelized sugars, but still cut & thinned by the strong carbonation. Finish was a little leathery, lingering with ash & earth.

The alcohol was totally overshadowed by the roast & stiff carbonation. Only showing itself going down, & occasionally, coming back up. *Burp*

Thanks Luke. :)

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium size light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet black chocolate with some light vinous notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet black chocolate with some light coffee and some lactose in the finish. Body is quite full with some creamy notes and good carbonation without much alcohol being perceptible. Well done from a fine brewery that I am glad to be discovering.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Well. When I received this a few months back I didn't know what it was, and when I pulled it out of the cellar I still didn't know what it was. Now that I examine the bottle and translate the Danish text I recall reading about this beer and am very happy to be trying it now.

Translated from the bottle: Danish: Bryggeriet Djævlebryg and the Danish Atheist Society have entered into an unholy alliance and the result is "Godless": This first batch is a somehow accessible imperial stout with its 8.9% abv. It offers burnt notes from the malt mingled with sweet nuances and a warming depth from the alcohol. This brew is primarily aimed at members of the Atheist Society, but it will also be available in selected shops and bars. In these times, when companies are expected to show social responsibility, we in the brewery have decided to follow suit: For each bottle or draft sold we donate 1 Danish Krone to the Danish Atheist Society.

Poured into my Alesmith tulip, the beer is black with a 2 finger head. The retention is very good, as is the lacing. This is quite dark and foreboding.

The strong aroma of roasted malt greets me as I inhale. There's low level of coffee in the aroma and just a touch of vanilla. Dark bittersweet chocolate, along with the other characteristics, do well in masking the alcohol in the nose. The alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor than it was in the aroma, but it's kept at bay and never overpowers. The roasted malt profile is strong, as it was in the nose, and the dark chocolate adds an enjoyable element. The finish is long, bittersweet chocolate and coffee with some warming alcohol.

Godless is full bodied with a high level of carbonation, and a dry, chewy mouthfeel.

A dark, rich, and complex Imperial Stout that may just plant the devilish seed of doubt in the most devout of men.

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »