2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,070 | Reviews: 458 | Show All Ratings:
bbluemzbeer

4.41/5  rDev +83%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I rated this beer against other light lagers. It is good lager !

Appearance: Yellow straw beer

Smell is good compared to an AA Lager. It was grassy hoppys and grains smell to it.

Taste;: It taste of grains and gassy notes to it, unlike other light beer it does have some beer taste. Amstel basically taste like light of version to a European light lager.

Mouthfeel: Light with moderate carbonation

Overall: It enjoyed this beer. It beats out 95 percent of light lagers out there. It beats out bud light , coors light , natural light but the price is to high for my pocket book . I will drank Amstel Light in the future from a break from the norm but I will stick Miller Light from now.

11-04-2013 05:25:44 | More by bbluemzbeer
JGargano

Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev +75.5%

Out of all the light beers Amstel does a great job of providing the calorie concious drinker a great alternative.

Unlike many light beers that try to emulate their full-calorie counterparts amstel does not try to be a "full" beer.

There is a pleasant initial aroma followed by a mellow taste and decent mouth-feel for a light.

This beer does not offend(as many lights do) and instead provides an unassuming gardening beer.

03-20-2013 00:02:21 | More by JGargano
RBorsato

4.2/5  rDev +74.3%

Bright yellow straw color with a decent to low white head and decent-good carbonation. Light hop, light adjunct, and light malt aroma and flavor ... see a theme here ? :-) Tastes like a baby Heineken. LIght-medium bodied and fairly smooth with a decent finish for a lighter beer.

Call me a choad but I reviewed this for what it was ... a light beer... A very nice low calorie alternative to the light American varieties... only drawback is $.

Per label: Since 1870. 95 cal, 5g Carb, 1g Prot, 0 Fat.

06-27-2006 16:54:41 | More by RBorsato
BDIMike

4.08/5  rDev +69.3%

I am very surprised to see the highly negative reviews for Amstel Light. As usual, the BA crowd likes to tear down a beer just because it is a light beer. It is said, over and again, that a beer should be reviewed based on its category. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't do that. Amstel Light has a nice full flavor for a light beer with an awesome mouthfeel.

11-23-2007 21:52:54 | More by BDIMike
samsneed

Rhode Island

3.95/5  rDev +63.9%

Good Beer that starts well. Has good clean balance. Clean refreshing finish. Great after hard work. (I am drinking one now...) It is a little weak, but still a good AVAILABLE beer. Also noteworthy, the third beer is as good as the first! That quality, plus the fact it is rather cheeper than other good beers, makes it a staple at any bar.

04-07-2005 02:19:36 | More by samsneed
tobyandgina

Nevada

3.85/5  rDev +59.8%

After pour, there was a good head on it, which remained for most of the duration. Good amount of bubbles. A very light golden color, almost too light. Smell was pretty good, malt and wheat are present (also present in taste). A traditional lager flavor. The flavor does not tend to linger on the tongue for very long, though. Very crisp and light. Best served on a hot summer day in a Pilsner glass - very refreshing.

For a light beer, this one is very tastey!

08-21-2005 01:22:02 | More by tobyandgina
kneeland

3.83/5  rDev +58.9%

I'm really surprised how low of a rating this beer has received. It is my favorite light beer out there. I guess beer advocates just don't like light beers. Anyway, I've really liked this beers for many years. I think it's got a good enough taste and doesn't overdo so you can enjoy it with a meal. I also hear it's got the lowest amount of calories for those who care (besides the MGD and ultra crap)

05-17-2010 03:19:23 | More by kneeland
JoeyBeerBelly

3.83/5  rDev +58.9%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - light straw yellow color with a white head that thins out leaving a few spots of lacing.
S - smell isn't half bad for a light beer. I smell malt and a hint of Euro hops.
T - decent taste, the more I drink it, the more I like it. Malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.
F - light bodied with crisp carbonation.
D - at 3.5% abv I could drink quite a few of these and I have. Goes great with bbq'd brauts and/or seafood.

07-05-2010 21:55:20 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
casualbeerman

3.8/5  rDev +57.7%

Believe it or not the comercials you see about this stuff aren't lying. To date, Amstel Light (all 95 calories per 12 oz serving worth), is the best most beerlike light beer I have had. I include cheater Sam Adams Light (they stretch the definition of "light" with like 125 calories vs I think 150 for a regular bottle of Boston Lager) in that statement. Appearance is kind of odd because on the one hand it has a nice deep brown color, but on the other it is obviously a little watery looking, the result being that dark brown color is nearly transparent. It does manage to maintain a surprisingly stable head for a light beer. Smell is pleasant, you know hoppy, a bit of malt, a bit of yeast, basically what a normal beer is supposed to smell like. Taste is quite good. Some sweet malt, balanced presence of hops that are of decent quality, if not too exciting. A little yeast is in there too, and obviously this is a very clean tasting beer. Mouthfeel IS a bit on the watery side, but not to the point where you actually think you are drinking water whenever you take a sip without looking right at the glass. Drinkability is excellent since not only does this beer taste pretty good, but it obviously does not weight you down, plus you're packing on fewer calories and not getting as drunk either. Is this going to fool you into thinking you just drank an oatmeal stout, an extra bitter, or a dopplebock? Of course not. It is still a bit on the watery side in fact. But it does a better job of hiding the fact that its a light beer than any other I've tried yet. And that slighty watery liquid at least has some real beer flavor present, if not as much richness as even I would like. Take it from me, you are not likely to find a better light beer in a regular bar. In fact, I could definately see ordering this over some regular beers that don't even make me wretch when I think about drinking them (MGD, Beck's, Rolling Rock, and Corona for example)

01-01-2006 07:50:15 | More by casualbeerman
caskstrength

3.75/5  rDev +55.6%

what did you expect? It's not bourbon barrel aged. There are no IBUs listed on the bottle.

It's a light beer.

When you're counting calories or just want a lower ABV beer to drink, and doesn't taste terrible, this is what you want. Isn't it?

I remember in college we always thought this was the best tasting light beer.

Isn't it still?

12-16-2008 19:24:18 | More by caskstrength
ommegangpbr

3.73/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to love this stuff... well, love is a strong word but I used to drink a lot of it. I was young and didnt know any better.
For a light beer, this is pretty good.
One downside, something I never noticed (or managed to pay attention to) when I was drinking this regularly is a soapy thing going on in the finish of the mouthfeel/flavor.
Light and watery all around but you can't expect too much for a light beer.
It's very easy to suck these down because of watery and generally inoffensive characteristics.
This has a bit more character than many other light beers out there.
Nothing worth dreaming about here, but a viable option depending upon your options.

09-23-2005 06:43:51 | More by ommegangpbr
stan66

3.73/5  rDev +54.8%

A nice beer for a lite. Pleasent hops taste, nice color. It purs with a weak head on my glass. Low carbonation. It has a nice palate for being a light beer. Better by far than most american light beers. I would drink it anyday of the week. I have not tasted the regular version, soon I am going to do it

04-20-2012 18:33:46 | More by stan66
bierman2000

3.68/5  rDev +52.7%

Probably the best light beer available in the US.. it is smooth and maltier than any other Lite beers and has a nice malt finish and balance throughout... if you want to drink a light beer without sacrificing taste than this is the one. Very well made for a macro but being an import Henieken seems to push this beer and with good reason..Low ABV makes this highly drinkable as well as the well rounded taste.

07-15-2003 10:20:46 | More by bierman2000
MrSeth

3.68/5  rDev +52.7%

Appearance: Pours with a crystal clear golden body and a white head. Some retention of foam and some bubbly can be seen.

Smell: Whoa! Never stopped to smell this stuff.. skunky, maybe some vague malt wiffs.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts with maltiness that's not sweet at all. The hops seem a bit weak with a short finish, but there's almost no aftertaste as a result.

Drinkability: High. A beer for people who don't really like beer? Hey, say what you want about Amstel Light, I'd rather have one of these at a bar without craft brews than most of the other corporate products out there.

03-28-2006 22:27:05 | More by MrSeth
sinkr

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +51.5%

I got interested in light beer again when I got even more health conscious and wanted to augment my weight loss regimen with a lower calorie beer.

Amstel is an excellent choice for those who want to continue drinking beer while attempting to be calorie conscious.

I realize a lot of people do not like this particular beer or light (weak) beers in general, however, you as a consumer need to realize that this beer is attempting to compete in the low calorie arena, and well, there's only so much that can be done there, both in body, mouthfeel, taste, and alcohol content.

Realizing that this beer is not Lucifer or Chimay will go a long way for one to appreciate it's characteristics; I absolutely enjoy the taste of the beer, given it's mildly hoppy, but very beer-like taste and aroma and can almost forget that I'm drinking a light beer, when contrasted to other similar non-light beers (Bud, Miller, etc.)

In the end, I highly recommend this as a choice for those who want to be more sensible in what beer they drink, yet still have a very palateable beer.

03-23-2005 00:56:38 | More by sinkr
FreshmanPour77

3.6/5  rDev +49.4%

A - yellowish tint, very little head

S - Slight skunky smell at first but passes quick, light smell of hops

T - Crisp taste at first sip but light and smooth going down

M - Crisp or full flavored but mellows out as it sits in your mouth

D - Good beer to have when you want something more from your light beer. Crisp flavor at first but won't push you away.

Price is a little high for a light beer but it tastes better then your normal light beers

08-27-2009 17:46:10 | More by FreshmanPour77
tjsdomer2

3.6/5  rDev +49.4%

Appearance: Very pale yellow with not much carbonation or foam for me. It's hard to say I'm impressed but it's not gross.

Smell: A bit of a sweet breadlike smell that I've not experienced in many other beers. Overall, boring.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nothing too memorable either way, except for the same sweetness in the smell. Watery as it warms. I kind of like this but there aren't distinct flavors. No hops and only a bit of malt.

Drinkability: Amstel is definitely one of the more drinkable European beers, along with fellow Dutch beer Heineken. You could drink a volume of this stuff that would equal a 40oz of say...King Cobra...and not feel a thing.

Overall: I like Amstel better than Heineken, although I feel like most people view oppositely. Either way, this beer is definitely decent, not too exciting, and has no bad qualities.

04-10-2010 00:55:46 | More by tjsdomer2
zuggy9

3.58/5  rDev +48.5%

I typically avoid light beers, but this one I'll make an exception for. A rather typical light pale yellow color with not much of a head that lingers a bit. A light grainy smell and a hoppy grainy flavor, quite pleasant really. It's well carbonated but is clean and good. It's good with a heavy meal or when you are trying to watch your calories.

12-21-2006 04:40:57 | More by zuggy9
buxwheat

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

This is my "work in the yard all day" beer. I disagree with most reviewers: this is a good beer to have when you're having more than one...a lot more than one. It is not the best brew I have ever had, but far from the worst. I was never a lite beer fan until this one came around. Coor's light had been my preferred "beach beer", when all you want is something cold and wet, but not sweet, and water is just a little too, well, watery. So until a better lite beer comes around, I'll always have a case in the fridge.

Serving type: can

09-03-2005 18:25:59 | More by buxwheat
beerman207

Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

I had this beer for the first time at the Kentucky Speedway. Mullets abound and beer selection a bit on the low side!

A: light yellow appearance with a decent head.

S picked up some wheat and malt

T Malt is dominant and that's about it

M: Very light

D: It's definately drinkable. With the limited selection at the Kentucky speedway this past weekend, this was about as good as you could get other than Miller and Bud.

Serving type: can

06-15-2009 01:21:48 | More by beerman207
barknee

3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

I struggle to comprehend why this is called a light beer as it shares absolutely nothing in common with any other light beer I have crossed or tasted. Nevertheless, if this is "really" a light beer, then what do we call other light beers? Very light beers?
I was surprised of the flavor profile this brew offered; heady, doughy, singing of clear malts,and ultimately very refreshing. Judging this beer within it's rightful category,as a "light beer" it's a blockbuster by comparison. Don't let the "light" connotation dissuade you from trying it.

12-05-2010 03:31:50 | More by barknee
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

Poured into a 20 ounce Carlsberg pilsner-style glass. The beer is a clear golden color with small bubbles rising from the bottom. A thick foamy white head sits on top. It dissipates to a thin film of white, and nice lacing coats the glass. The beer smells metallic and of corn husks like most macro lagers. The taste is like the old motto, "It just tastes like beer" or whatever it was. It's corn-husk, grainy, and metallic. It tastes like macro beer. The mouthfeel is light bodied and carbonated.

Overall, I'll drink this beer any day of the week over any American Adjunct Lager. I was surprised at how good the appearance was, perhaps it was the glass I used. But anyway, a good beer to session during a sporting event. I actually like this macro.

06-09-2012 18:12:35 | More by JuicesFlowing
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev +44.4%

Pale light gold clear beer with a smallish white head that is rather attractive while it lasts.

Very little aroma (just a hint of grassy malt and some hops), but the flavor is more robust than expected. A nice crisp flavor that reminds me of grass and hay with a tiny bit of floral and bittering hops. The mouthfeel is also pretty crisp. Not a terribly substantial beer, but compared to other light offerings this isn't bad at all.

I should also say that this isn't my favorite style of beer, however since I'm on a low-carb diet right now I thought I would give it a try (at 5.8g of carbs, I can afford to drink two beers in a day instead of only one regular beer). For a light lager, it is definitely above average and was a pleasant surprise. I think the ads are right. It is the "beer drinker's light beer."

12-10-2006 20:33:43 | More by jmbranum
tempest

3.48/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow, the best light beer I've had. But maybe I'm just easily impressed by hops in a light lager. The pale malt was weak, but there was an actual hops profile of spicy European hops. The aroma was actually quite big for a light beer, and while it hinted at it's light lager style with adjuncts, the pale malt and hops still showed through. Really, this has to be one of the only light lagers that actually leaves some bitterness in your mouth. Still, this beer is only good for the style.

06-27-2007 23:57:21 | More by tempest
faubs

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev +43.2%

Here the bit. It’s a tasty brew with out a doubt, but….its got the same color as the domestics, the same mouth feel as the domestics, and not much of a head. To be honest the smell leaves a little to be desired, however that being said. Its got pretty good taste, and that my friend is worth overlooking the scent it leaves on my upper lip. Not sure its worth the 8 bucks a sixer though. Stick to the pub on this one to decide if its for you.

10-25-2005 07:23:21 | More by faubs
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.