Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,395 | Reviews: 503
4.41/5  rDev +82.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I rated this beer against other light lagers. It is good lager !

Appearance: Yellow straw beer

Smell is good compared to an AA Lager. It was grassy hoppys and grains smell to it.

Taste;: It taste of grains and gassy notes to it, unlike other light beer it does have some beer taste. Amstel basically taste like light of version to a European light lager.

Mouthfeel: Light with moderate carbonation

Overall: It enjoyed this beer. It beats out 95 percent of light lagers out there. It beats out bud light , coors light , natural light but the price is to high for my pocket book . I will drank Amstel Light in the future from a break from the norm but I will stick Miller Light from now.

4.22/5  rDev +74.4%

Bright yellow straw color with a decent to low white head and decent-good carbonation. Light hop, light adjunct, and light malt aroma and flavor ... see a theme here ? :-) Tastes like a baby Heineken. LIght-medium bodied and fairly smooth with a decent finish for a lighter beer.

Call me a choad but I reviewed this for what it was ... a light beer... A very nice low calorie alternative to the light American varieties... only drawback is $.

Per label: Since 1870. 95 cal, 5g Carb, 1g Prot, 0 Fat.

4.21/5  rDev +74%

Out of all the light beers Amstel does a great job of providing the calorie concious drinker a great alternative.

Unlike many light beers that try to emulate their full-calorie counterparts amstel does not try to be a "full" beer.

There is a pleasant initial aroma followed by a mellow taste and decent mouth-feel for a light.

This beer does not offend(as many lights do) and instead provides an unassuming gardening beer.

4.18/5  rDev +72.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As lager, I really like it. Much more than some of the other light beers. Tastes great and isn't as filling as the others.

4.07/5  rDev +68.2%

I am very surprised to see the highly negative reviews for Amstel Light. As usual, the BA crowd likes to tear down a beer just because it is a light beer. It is said, over and again, that a beer should be reviewed based on its category. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't do that. Amstel Light has a nice full flavor for a light beer with an awesome mouthfeel.

I was surprised to see how this beer got such low ratings! I think people need to understand that this is a LIGHT beer! There is no way it can compete with a full bodied lager..just no way. BA should start creating classifications for beers to be review.

However, this beer in the light category has no peers..none that I know of anyway...and feel it pretty closely is brewed in accordance with the purity law.

I certainly CAN NOT say that about any of the other light beers we all know of: Miller Light, Bud Light, etc...which is made with corn and GMOs... Amstel Light is real beer...

It maintains a head, decently all the way down, and laces the sides of the glass just like a real beer. It's flavor is pretty typical Euro-Lager, but just a lighter version with less taste. It also can be spoiled by light as well..even more illustrating it's close proximity to the purity law...

Be sure you buy fresh supplies as you would with any import beer that is brewed in accordance with the purity law!

Always remember: 'If it's skunk, it's junk'...

3.9/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is definitely a good beer.

3.9/5  rDev +61.2%

Good Beer that starts well. Has good clean balance. Clean refreshing finish. Great after hard work. (I am drinking one now...) It is a little weak, but still a good AVAILABLE beer. Also noteworthy, the third beer is as good as the first! That quality, plus the fact it is rather cheeper than other good beers, makes it a staple at any bar.

3.8/5  rDev +57%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - light straw yellow color with a white head that thins out leaving a few spots of lacing.
S - smell isn't half bad for a light beer. I smell malt and a hint of Euro hops.
T - decent taste, the more I drink it, the more I like it. Malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.
F - light bodied with crisp carbonation.
D - at 3.5% abv I could drink quite a few of these and I have. Goes great with bbq'd brauts and/or seafood.

3.8/5  rDev +57%

After pour, there was a good head on it, which remained for most of the duration. Good amount of bubbles. A very light golden color, almost too light. Smell was pretty good, malt and wheat are present (also present in taste). A traditional lager flavor. The flavor does not tend to linger on the tongue for very long, though. Very crisp and light. Best served on a hot summer day in a Pilsner glass - very refreshing.

For a light beer, this one is very tastey!

3.77/5  rDev +55.8%

what did you expect? It's not bourbon barrel aged. There are no IBUs listed on the bottle.

It's a light beer.

When you're counting calories or just want a lower ABV beer to drink, and doesn't taste terrible, this is what you want. Isn't it?

I remember in college we always thought this was the best tasting light beer.

Isn't it still?

3.77/5  rDev +55.8%

I'm really surprised how low of a rating this beer has received. It is my favorite light beer out there. I guess beer advocates just don't like light beers. Anyway, I've really liked this beers for many years. I think it's got a good enough taste and doesn't overdo so you can enjoy it with a meal. I also hear it's got the lowest amount of calories for those who care (besides the MGD and ultra crap)

3.76/5  rDev +55.4%

Believe it or not the comercials you see about this stuff aren't lying. To date, Amstel Light (all 95 calories per 12 oz serving worth), is the best most beerlike light beer I have had. I include cheater Sam Adams Light (they stretch the definition of "light" with like 125 calories vs I think 150 for a regular bottle of Boston Lager) in that statement. Appearance is kind of odd because on the one hand it has a nice deep brown color, but on the other it is obviously a little watery looking, the result being that dark brown color is nearly transparent. It does manage to maintain a surprisingly stable head for a light beer. Smell is pleasant, you know hoppy, a bit of malt, a bit of yeast, basically what a normal beer is supposed to smell like. Taste is quite good. Some sweet malt, balanced presence of hops that are of decent quality, if not too exciting. A little yeast is in there too, and obviously this is a very clean tasting beer. Mouthfeel IS a bit on the watery side, but not to the point where you actually think you are drinking water whenever you take a sip without looking right at the glass. Drinkability is excellent since not only does this beer taste pretty good, but it obviously does not weight you down, plus you're packing on fewer calories and not getting as drunk either. Is this going to fool you into thinking you just drank an oatmeal stout, an extra bitter, or a dopplebock? Of course not. It is still a bit on the watery side in fact. But it does a better job of hiding the fact that its a light beer than any other I've tried yet. And that slighty watery liquid at least has some real beer flavor present, if not as much richness as even I would like. Take it from me, you are not likely to find a better light beer in a regular bar. In fact, I could definately see ordering this over some regular beers that don't even make me wretch when I think about drinking them (MGD, Beck's, Rolling Rock, and Corona for example)

3.75/5  rDev +55%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is essentially a Heineken that's light (not to be confused with Heineken Light). I like Heineken quite a bit and this tastes just like it for the most part. Not sure why it's considered awful by so many people on here.

3.69/5  rDev +52.5%

A nice beer for a lite. Pleasent hops taste, nice color. It purs with a weak head on my glass. Low carbonation. It has a nice palate for being a light beer. Better by far than most american light beers. I would drink it anyday of the week. I have not tasted the regular version, soon I am going to do it

3.68/5  rDev +52.1%

Probably the best light beer available in the US.. it is smooth and maltier than any other Lite beers and has a nice malt finish and balance throughout... if you want to drink a light beer without sacrificing taste than this is the one. Very well made for a macro but being an import Henieken seems to push this beer and with good reason..Low ABV makes this highly drinkable as well as the well rounded taste.

3.66/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to love this stuff... well, love is a strong word but I used to drink a lot of it. I was young and didnt know any better.
For a light beer, this is pretty good.
One downside, something I never noticed (or managed to pay attention to) when I was drinking this regularly is a soapy thing going on in the finish of the mouthfeel/flavor.
Light and watery all around but you can't expect too much for a light beer.
It's very easy to suck these down because of watery and generally inoffensive characteristics.
This has a bit more character than many other light beers out there.
Nothing worth dreaming about here, but a viable option depending upon your options.

3.66/5  rDev +51.2%

Appearance: Pours with a crystal clear golden body and a white head. Some retention of foam and some bubbly can be seen.

Smell: Whoa! Never stopped to smell this stuff.. skunky, maybe some vague malt wiffs.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts with maltiness that's not sweet at all. The hops seem a bit weak with a short finish, but there's almost no aftertaste as a result.

Drinkability: High. A beer for people who don't really like beer? Hey, say what you want about Amstel Light, I'd rather have one of these at a bar without craft brews than most of the other corporate products out there.

3.65/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yet another beer that snobs love to rip on. I tend to like beers that I don't have to chew on, taste like coffee or chocolate or fruit. Amstel Light fits my tastes. A tasty refreshing beer I can drink anytime. This beer does not deserve so many terrible ratings, get over yourselves people.

3.6/5  rDev +48.8%

12 oz bottle served in pilsner glass.

Appearance: pours a thick, pillowy white head that drops slowly with little to no lacing. Color is clear pale straw with moderate streaming carbonation.
Aroma: surprising bit of aroma for the style. There is a definite breadiness and some grass as well.
Mouthfeel: very light and watery, with a quick, drying finish.
Flavor: mirrors the aroma. Breadiness and some sweetness from the barley, a mild bit of grassy hops.
Overall: for light beers, probably the best I have tried. It actually has flavor and aroma. Essentially tastes like a watered down Euro lager.

3.57/5  rDev +47.5%

Appearance: Very pale yellow with not much carbonation or foam for me. It's hard to say I'm impressed but it's not gross.

Smell: A bit of a sweet breadlike smell that I've not experienced in many other beers. Overall, boring.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nothing too memorable either way, except for the same sweetness in the smell. Watery as it warms. I kind of like this but there aren't distinct flavors. No hops and only a bit of malt.

Drinkability: Amstel is definitely one of the more drinkable European beers, along with fellow Dutch beer Heineken. You could drink a volume of this stuff that would equal a 40oz of say...King Cobra...and not feel a thing.

Overall: I like Amstel better than Heineken, although I feel like most people view oppositely. Either way, this beer is definitely decent, not too exciting, and has no bad qualities.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amstel Light brewed by Amstel Brouwerij B. V., with an ABV of 3.50% This brew pours out a Light amber color, with a nice white head. It has the look of a light lager. The smell is rich with sweetness. You also pick up on some grains and malts. Nothing bad so far now for the taste , it is mild with flavor. You also pick up on the watery taste in this brew. Not saying that is a bad thing. There is also grains and malts, in the taste of this brew. Amstel Light has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about it. The mouthfeel of Amstel Light is mild, but bold and rich with flavor. I like the taste of this brew. Overall I'm giving Amstel Light a 3.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. This brew would go down good on a hot summer day.

3.57/5  rDev +47.5%

I typically avoid light beers, but this one I'll make an exception for. A rather typical light pale yellow color with not much of a head that lingers a bit. A light grainy smell and a hoppy grainy flavor, quite pleasant really. It's well carbonated but is clean and good. It's good with a heavy meal or when you are trying to watch your calories.

3.56/5  rDev +47.1%

I got interested in light beer again when I got even more health conscious and wanted to augment my weight loss regimen with a lower calorie beer.

Amstel is an excellent choice for those who want to continue drinking beer while attempting to be calorie conscious.

I realize a lot of people do not like this particular beer or light (weak) beers in general, however, you as a consumer need to realize that this beer is attempting to compete in the low calorie arena, and well, there's only so much that can be done there, both in body, mouthfeel, taste, and alcohol content.

Realizing that this beer is not Lucifer or Chimay will go a long way for one to appreciate it's characteristics; I absolutely enjoy the taste of the beer, given it's mildly hoppy, but very beer-like taste and aroma and can almost forget that I'm drinking a light beer, when contrasted to other similar non-light beers (Bud, Miller, etc.)

In the end, I highly recommend this as a choice for those who want to be more sensible in what beer they drink, yet still have a very palateable beer.

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

A - yellowish tint, very little head

S - Slight skunky smell at first but passes quick, light smell of hops

T - Crisp taste at first sip but light and smooth going down

M - Crisp or full flavored but mellows out as it sits in your mouth

D - Good beer to have when you want something more from your light beer. Crisp flavor at first but won't push you away.

Price is a little high for a light beer but it tastes better then your normal light beers

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.