1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,069 | Reviews: 458 | Show All Ratings:
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Bland, a bit corny, a bit adjuncty, may have some hop flavour.... i couldn't tell. A touch bitter i suppose. Tastes like sparkling mineral water. Just an even lighter version of Amstel (the normal stuff), which sounds dissapointing, and it is dissapointing, but, to be truthful, i wasn't expecting much in the first place, its hard to right something about it in detail, boring.

04-01-2003 01:15:44 | More by rastaman
walleye

1.08/5  rDev -55.2%

poured a light yellow white head.aroma I think I smelled somthing. maybe some hops, corn flavor next to none I just wish you did'nt have to have 250 characters to rate a beer here how many time can one say this beer is bad, how about 7 awful, terrible,dreadful, appalling, shocking, horrific, unpleasant

10-25-2004 13:24:02 | More by walleye
crossovert

1.08/5  rDev -55.2%

Randomly found this in a cooler in my garage.

At first it was like hm this is sort of like carbonated water, not beery but not bad, but then it just flew off the rails.

It is a clear gold. Taste and flavor are near nil. Watery, not as good as mineral water. Crappy beer. Not worth buying, it sucks.

09-01-2011 03:30:10 | More by crossovert
Rifugium

1.1/5  rDev -54.4%

First had: ?

A: Clear, pale gold color. Quickly dissipating head.

S: Rotten and skunky.

T: Grainy, dilluted, watery, with an unpleasant aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with some carbonation.

D: Goes down easy, but the taste and aftertaste ruin any possibility of good quality drinkability.

12-10-2010 19:58:34 | More by Rifugium
KoG

Nevada

1.15/5  rDev -52.3%

Looks almost clear with a slight yellow tint and no head at all.

Smells like a skunk, even with the brown bottle. At least it had some sort of aroma.

Taste is awful. Watered down hops with a strangely stinging mouthfeel. This was not good at all.

At 3.5%, if low alcohol is your aim get a bitter. I will never ever touch this again. Guess the comercials are right by saying the "Lite beer drinkers lite beer." I guess I'm not a lite beer drinker.

07-19-2005 01:55:25 | More by KoG
rye726

Colorado

1.15/5  rDev -52.3%

Lets see how close we can get to making a 3.2% beer and still sell it at liqour stores. Poured a pale watery yellow with a white head that goes quickly. Very corny smell, skunky. The taste is a bad mixture of hop and barley. Too light to pick too much up. Watery body and pepsi like carbonation. Not the worst, but not worth the relatively high price tag.

05-06-2008 23:23:56 | More by rye726
ForWhatAlesYou

1.15/5  rDev -52.3%

12 oz can out of a minibar hotel fridge (this was a $7.00 mistake. Should've opted for the $9 Chivas Regal...)

A: Really clear and chicken broth-like.

S: Smells somewhere between the spent grains at a BMC brewery tour and the pile of old beer cans your neighbor leaves out behind their house on a hot summer day.

T: Tastes like the smell, but cold.

M: Carbonation is welcome as it seems to move the awful flavors off of your tongue as quickly as possible.

D: No.

11-27-2011 16:54:57 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.18/5  rDev -51%

Poured this very light colored lager into my glass and it produced a broken bubble head of one finger which vanished in seconds. Mild lacing but no real body or cling to that. The color is a 3 on the SRM chart. Smell is weak corn, more like the stalks, wheat chaff, and malt. Taste is harsh, sour bread, the rest I can't really identify, just not good. A little buzz on my tongue, but leaves the back of my throat sort of sticky and dry. Not at all worth the price. Glad I don't have any more of this to drink.

10-26-2010 18:20:42 | More by beerprovedwright
TheDM

1.2/5  rDev -50.2%

Another weak pea colored brew with a white head of small to large bubbles that leaves very little lacing. It has a low quality aroma that reminds me of getting sick to my stomach. Oh not another one of these brews! It has a very small hoppy flavor smooth and with no fore or after bite. Its low alcohol content is also not a plus for me. Can I have a stout please! GF rating said it smells like cheap beer, looks like cheap beer, so it must be cheap beer! LOL.

07-11-2003 14:49:09 | More by TheDM
larryi86

Delaware

1.23/5  rDev -49%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass, got a bottle in a holiday beer exchange

A- Very pale clear gold color with a white head that fades quickly.

S- Watered down sweet malts and corn.

T- Watery, light sweet malts and grains, a little bitter in the end, but not a good hoppy bitter, more like a skunked bitter.

M- Crisp, very light, and watery.

D- Drinkable like flavored water is drinkable. I guess if you wanted to chug watery beer this will work, but you want to drink a beer for the flavor this is not worth having.

12-12-2010 18:37:52 | More by larryi86
cncbofh

Colorado

Ugh.

Smells skunky. Pours with soda pop carbonation.
Tastes rotten. How does one review a beer such as this?
It's just really really bad. Are there any redeeming qualities? Sure! You can drink about 100 of these things without killing yourself (why anyone would want to is beyond me).

Just not a good beer. Thank god there was only 1 left in the cooler.

12-02-2004 17:02:53 | More by cncbofh
alysmith4

District of Columbia

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

To this date, this is the only beer that I simply cannot stomach. I think it tastes awful, like burnt grass and straw. The smell is horrible too, like putrid sour mash.

The beer tastes extermely watered down, and has no flavoring what-so-ever. The one I tried didn't even pour like a regular beer, had no head and very little carbonation. If you're watching your calories and drinking "light," you may as well save on taste and have a glass of water.

11-14-2006 03:22:00 | More by alysmith4
MNJR

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Absolutely a horrible beer. I had 12 of these in the fridge my girlfriend bought, and after one, it was time to put my boots on and go out to get something else that night. The flavor is like making a hybrid tea with old cardboard and selzer water - it literally tastes like wet paper mixed with some kind of glue. How they could make a beer this bad and sell it for $9.99 a 6-pack (price at my corner store in Chicago) is truly miraculous. ANY cheap light beer I've tried (Busch, Miller, etc.) is better than this.

01-04-2009 01:31:15 | More by MNJR
aasher

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

I'm only reviewing this because my parents had some friends over a couple weeks ago and they left some beers behind in my aging fridge that I leave at their house, because they don't drink. This beer poured watery and had a billowing white head that took about two minutes to fade before lacing the glass. It is the palest of yellow, actually kind of looks urine. It isn't skunked but smells as if it is. Horrible smell. The taste is weak and somewhat metallic. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I've ever had. The mouthfeel is watery and ultra light, pretty flat really. This beer is awful. I don't even know why they make beers that're 3.5%, it's only for show.

08-09-2010 03:30:12 | More by aasher
TheKingofWichita

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Looks, smells, and tastes like watered down Bud Light. Enough said right???

Pours a sickly watery straw color with a thick boisterous white soapy head that doesn't dissipate and no lacing. Smells like corn and horse piss (like Stella Artois) Tastes really nasty like Corona and death had a baby beer -- like rotten corn and old egg. Mouthfeel is watery and has a heavy carbonation. Overall it is one of the worst light beers I've tried. If you are in a trashy mood, take a Natty Light over this dog piss.

03-25-2011 04:24:59 | More by TheKingofWichita
jimilayne

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Drank from a bottle, several times unfortunately.

This is the one beer I absolutely do not like. Sometimes I order it out of spite, just to remind myself why I don't like it.

I don't mind light beers, but this one tastes awful. I can't tell you why. It's bitter and disgusting.

I'd rather have a no-taste Coors or Bud Light than an Amstel.

11-21-2012 01:11:09 | More by jimilayne
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

If you have ever wondered what liquified styrofoam injected into Budmillercoorslite would taste like, then you should try an Amstel Light.

This is an absolutely repulsive beer. It looks & smells like your average Bud/Miller/Coors clone, but the taste! Dear lord! At first it tastes like the aforementioned macro-filth, but then it hits you - a noxious cardboard-box-complete-with-packing-materials flavor. It blows my mind as to how the brewers of this beer could possibly find it acceptable.

I mean, at least you can swallow other light beers without really tasting anything - just like water down the throat - and then forget about them, but Amstel Light makes sure to rip a blazing trench through your tastebuds, assuring you that you wont forget it's abhorrent "taste" any time soon.

06-27-2005 21:19:54 | More by chOAKbarrell
pmcadamis

1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

This was about the only beer on my cruise ship that I hadn't reviewed yet, so although it's not something I would normally spend five bucks on, I had to review it. I tried this brew in the Schooner Bar...my favorite bar on the Enchantment of the Seas.

A - Clear, light yellow, dull with a decent but short lived one finger head and some soptty lacing. A swirl brought the head back to a finger.

S - Gritty and macro-lagery adjunct-laden nose. Peppery acrid sweat-like hops. Smells alot like Heineken. Pretty nasty aroma really.

T - Very faintly peppery with alot af saaz characteristics. The flavor is very weak, but shat I can taste is sour, funky, acrid, and peppery. This is not at all pleasant.

M - Medium bodied for a light lager, but still quite watery. Highly carbonated with an absolutely clean finish which in this case is a blessing.

D - Pretty nasty stuff. I haven't tried the full flavored Amstel, but I won't touch this light crap ever again.

06-24-2007 15:06:22 | More by pmcadamis
blackc5

Washington

1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

What more really needs to be said about this beer? Obviously nobody here at BA reads this really wondering if Amstel is a decent beer or not. We all know it isn't. It is boring, bland but apparently pleases the masses. It doesn't necessarily offend, but my one complaint is the premium price you sometimes see it for. Why pay for this when there are so many crafts available for about the same price or maybe $1 for a sixer more - and infinitely more enjoyable. Hopefully more of the masses will catch on to that reality soon.

08-21-2009 07:00:53 | More by blackc5
ChicagoHopHead

1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

I bought a 12 pack based on their motto that it is a beer drinkers light beer. It took me over a month to drink the 12'er. It became my beer of last resort. God awful front end and back end taste. This is garbage. I would not recommend this beer and have told many to avoid.

09-15-2011 21:54:04 | More by ChicagoHopHead
Jfriz25

Wisconsin

1.33/5  rDev -44.8%

My best review ever...got this at an open bar at a wedding. It is truly awful. Makes bud light seem tasty. I'm am just writing this sentence to get to 250 characters. Seriously still not 250 characters? How about now? Holy shit still not at 250, but this beer is still unbelievably terrible almost beyond explanation

07-15-2012 03:51:38 | More by Jfriz25
bobhits

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -44%

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow water like color. A head of just forced almost fake like carbonation which is amazingly off putting.

Sweet grain cereal, a touch and I mean a touch of perhaps bananas and cloves? This has the subtle aromas of a hef but extremely subtle. I’m actually rather ok with this aroma. High hopes going from here. That said I may just be looking for aromas when they aren't there.

Well so much for that. There’s virtually nothing to even speak of in this beer’s flavors. It is bland just hints of grain and water.

Weird over carbonated….well it is a light lager I suppose.

This beer is terrible. I’m not sure what a light lager can do to make itself good, but this beer made no effort.

12-16-2011 02:41:14 | More by bobhits
Bumpon10s

1.38/5  rDev -42.7%

Labeled as "The beer drinker's light beer". We'll see I suppose, haven't had it before, but I think I know what to expect.

A - Pours a fizzy, thin straw color, a typical macro lager big head that dissapears instantly, an effervecent beer.

S - I smell the corn and alcohol, kind of skunked too.

T - I honestly taste nothing, absolutley nothing. This is the "lightest" beer I've ever had. Far more tasteless than even something like rolling rock or michelob ultra.

M - Goes down like water, because frankly, it is. I get the slightest touch of carbonation, thats it.

D - Well, I suppose this category isn't terrible, because you could drink a TON of these and not get drunk or full, and at sub 4% ABV, they go down real fast.

09-27-2005 07:14:34 | More by Bumpon10s
CervezaMesa

1.38/5  rDev -42.7%

I was excited about this beer when it came out! The bottle looked neat and the commercial made it seem tasteful! This was not the case.

MGD 64 tastes way better than Amstel light.
What did they do w/ the taste! Seriously this is most tasteless light beer my palet has brought down!

Color looks nice though! LOL!
Aroma is shit
Everything about this sucks!

Next time you buy a six pack of this remember that there is 6 pack of o'douls light for way cheaper!

08-21-2009 02:30:25 | More by CervezaMesa
hotstuff

1.4/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. The lacing was fair with this beer. The body was clear and had a straw yellow hue. It had a light hoppy aroma. The carbonation was lively in this beer. The flavor was bitter tasting from start to finish. The mouthfeel was light to medium, thin and watery.

07-01-2003 13:14:05 | More by hotstuff
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.