Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,355 | Reviews: 485
2.68/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from glass into a pint glass.

A - Poured clear pale golden color with medium head that dissipated very quickly leaving almost no lacing.

S - Hint of grains and skunkiness but other than that nothing more can be detected.

T - Watered down grains with slightly bitter finish.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Easily consumed light beer but definitely not enjoyable. Would not recommend to anyone.

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

Clear golden color with a white head with fair retention. The aroma has grain and some earthiness, with a little bit of sweetness. Not impressive.

This beer taste like it smells. Not much going on here. Some grain, a small amount of sweetness, and some earth just don't cut it.

Light bodied. high carbonation, and not too interesting. This is not something I will seek out again.

1.2/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured this very light colored lager into my glass and it produced a broken bubble head of one finger which vanished in seconds. Mild lacing but no real body or cling to that. The color is a 3 on the SRM chart. Smell is weak corn, more like the stalks, wheat chaff, and malt. Taste is harsh, sour bread, the rest I can't really identify, just not good. A little buzz on my tongue, but leaves the back of my throat sort of sticky and dry. Not at all worth the price. Glad I don't have any more of this to drink.

2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz bottle

A pale macro yellow with a fizzy white head and some streaky lacing.

Grain and straw in the nose, along with a familiar "imported beer" funkyness.

Toasted grain and wheat tendencies quickly disintegrate into metallic barley flavors. Swirls with mealy tastes before finishing fairly clean.

Lighter body, watery, quick, clean drinking, but definitely not pleasurable. It's not horrible for light beer, but if you consider the price, buying this is pretty much ludicrous.

1.96/5  rDev -19%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Another Quizzo beer entry. It ours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose comprises soap, flowers, and corn syrup. Normally, these macro-ish types don't smell so goofy, but, frankly, as they smell bad, it's hard to really say this is entirely unusual. The taste follows closely, though some funky wheat slithers its way in there as well. Coulda done without that. The body is light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a sad beer, one I would definitely never call a damn good beer (even with spelling errors intact).

2.3/5  rDev -5%

I used to drink this a lot before I discovered Heineken light, before I knew what good beer was.

A- Pale golden in color.

S- Grains, a little skunk.

T- Not much going on, slight metallic, watery grains with mild bitterness.

M- Very carbonated and thin.

D- Because the taste isn't much, I guess its another easy pounder, but not something I enjoy anymore.

2.11/5  rDev -12.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Quite clear with visible carbonation. Smells mostly of grain. Taste brings grain and some husks along with the faintest hint of hops. Mouthfeel is light with loads of carbonation. Overly carbonated without much flavor, not too drinkable.

2.73/5  rDev +12.8%

Smell is almost non-existant. What is present seems to be a bit of an adjunct aroma. But it's very faint.

The taste....well, it's one of the most watery and flavor devoid beers I've ever had. There is no crispness up front, nor are there any hops I can detect at all. The body is of a somewhat watery cereal grain taste....which leads into a finish with more cereal sweetness mixed with a bit of grassiness and hay. It certainly isn't much.

Is it drinkable?? Sure. But, with all the decent beers out there, I'm not sure why I should seek this one out.

2.4/5  rDev -0.8%

I wanted to try one of the more common beers and review for comparison.

A - Very light golden color. Generates a good amount of foam.

S - Kinda bland. What I did smell was a bit of skunkiness and a little of the grain.

T - This is why I don't prefer the light beers. It seems muted and watered down. There is very little taste to it.

M - Nothing major, but it did feel heavier than most light beers I recall.

D - I didn't find this all that drinkable. After I had the one I wasn't looking foward to the taste of another. There are bettewr light beers if that is your preference.

2.13/5  rDev -12%

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

and here we go with the winners of the night. i have ha this one more times then i can count and it just never gets any better. the classic light golden almost water colored pour with a small fizzy head and lots of carbonation.

aroma is light grains, muted hay, just a watery almost none existent taste and smell, really just not at all what you are looking for in a good beer. clean and crisp, it really is just about like water from beginning to end.

overall not the worst tasting, just the least tasting i had this evening.

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz into a pokal glass.

pours a pale, crystal clear yellow. gives me 2 fingers of coarse foamy head that dies down quick and leaves a few legs of lace.

smell is grainy with a hint of spice.

what little taste it has comes through as stale bread. no hop character at all, not even enough to taste balanced. the body on this is watery with way too much carbonation, which sort of gives it a spicy feel. goes way beyond prickly.

i suppose you could argue that this is super drinkable, but the mouthfeel really hurt this for me. also, with no flavor, why would anyone _want_ to drink this? even a cheap 40 of malt liquor is better than this.

3.35/5  rDev +38.4%

Despite the bad ratings, I kind of enjoy this beer. It is not overly carbonated, it does not have too strong of flavoring, and it is easy to find. It's not a preferable beer, but it surely has nothing wrong with it. Not watery at all. I think it deserves better than it has been given

2.43/5  rDev +0.4%

I can smell this beer as soon as I open it but I always like to start with the pour. In the pint glass it pours a bright, golden, crystal clear yellow. The head is not impressive. Just a plain white that doesn't hang out very long. The nose is quite pungent with a lingering skunkiness. The taste is similar to the nose but with less skunkiness. It was replaced with some bitterness. I wouldn't say it's bad especially compared to some of the other ultras and lights available if you're watching calories. However, like my friend Travis says, "Watch what you eat, not what you drink."

1.43/5  rDev -40.9%

this was my first taste of imported beer at a robust age of sixteen, I was stepping up in the world. I didn't like this gargage 14 years ago and I don't like it now. Its funky, skunky, way to bitter and almost impossible to drink. The bottle does not help, this should be canned and served next to carlsberg.

1.23/5  rDev -49.2%

I'm only reviewing this because my parents had some friends over a couple weeks ago and they left some beers behind in my aging fridge that I leave at their house, because they don't drink. This beer poured watery and had a billowing white head that took about two minutes to fade before lacing the glass. It is the palest of yellow, actually kind of looks urine. It isn't skunked but smells as if it is. Horrible smell. The taste is weak and somewhat metallic. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I've ever had. The mouthfeel is watery and ultra light, pretty flat really. This beer is awful. I don't even know why they make beers that're 3.5%, it's only for show.

3.15/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Very, very pale straw color with a small, think white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no sign of lace.

Smell: Actually has a strong smell for a light beer- sweet grain maybe some corn hints, and grassy hops.

Taste: Begins with grassy hop flavors, finishing with sweet grains and a hint of corn.

Mouthfeel: Thin with sharp carbonation and a watery, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: This is one of the better, more flavorful beers for its style, actually. A beer I wouldn't seek out, but I'd drink it again if it were offered. Of course this doesn't stand up to the best craft brews, but it is a good beer for its style- though there are better light beers out there.

1.91/5  rDev -21.1%

A- Golden straw with just a faint head to it after it disappates. Standard light lager appearance.
S- Smell is of that import skunk with a bit of grain backbone.
T- Husk, grain, faint hops. very little going on.
M- Light, but not more so than most light lagers.
D- It's a light lager. It's made to be drank copiously. Altogether there's little going on with this beer other than a slap to the wallet.

1.54/5  rDev -36.4%

Beer served in an imperial pint glass out of a bottle. Beer is yellow and clear, very light. Appears to have moderate carbonation, head is thin and white of medium and small bubbles. No lacing on the galss. Looks like beer.

Aroma is strong like boiled vegetables and corn, really strong a little gross.

Does not have a flavor, except for a slight after taste. Kind of gross really. Thin mouthfeel, harsh almost stringent mouthfeel. Really gross.

2.98/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear, light yellow with a tall, fluffy, white head that had decent retention and no lacing.

The aroma had a bit of skunk up front, with a nice grain scent and some gentle hops providing the main features. In the taste, the skunk was less noticeable, but still present. That light grain and hop was also still there.

The body was, as expected, light and clean. Drinkability was OK for a style that's not really my thing. Overall, a decent beer, for what it is. If you're in the mood for a "Lite" beer, you could do worse.

2.91/5  rDev +20.2%

A - Very pale, stripped of color, fizzy

S - Weak odor but smooth

T - slight crisp, mild flavor but enjoyable. My beer hating fiance' didn't mind it. take that for what it's worth

M - Very bubbly, it left my mouth feeling clean & refreshed

D - Great on a warm day or a cool night. smooth with a great crisp after-tone.

3.8/5  rDev +57%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - light straw yellow color with a white head that thins out leaving a few spots of lacing.
S - smell isn't half bad for a light beer. I smell malt and a hint of Euro hops.
T - decent taste, the more I drink it, the more I like it. Malty taste with a slightly bitter finish.
F - light bodied with crisp carbonation.
D - at 3.5% abv I could drink quite a few of these and I have. Goes great with bbq'd brauts and/or seafood.

2.46/5  rDev +1.7%

A Very plain with a thumb of head. Little to no carbonation, dissipates fast. Clear golden color. Decent lacing. Looks like any light beer.

S Not good. Grainy and earthy.

T Quite odd. People in Amsterdam have a different taste than me. A little wheat and not a lot of hops. Dry taste similar to coors or bud light.

M Very light. Not much to it, kinda like water. Even so, it is somewhat drinkable.

D Kinda drinkable but nothing I would have for an entire session.

Overall dry and bland. Not worth what I paid for a case of it. Honestly, I would rather have bud light.

2.89/5  rDev +19.4%

One of the better light beers. But that's like saying one of the more polished turds right?

A darker appearance, preppy aroma. Taste, teh carbonation probably makes you think there's more of the Euro hop than is really there. Very easy going down, it is a very light beer, but its decent enough in a pinch on a hot day. Tons of carbonation, plenty of water, but it does the trick, especially with some smoke.

3.77/5  rDev +55.8%

I'm really surprised how low of a rating this beer has received. It is my favorite light beer out there. I guess beer advocates just don't like light beers. Anyway, I've really liked this beers for many years. I think it's got a good enough taste and doesn't overdo so you can enjoy it with a meal. I also hear it's got the lowest amount of calories for those who care (besides the MGD and ultra crap)

2.25/5  rDev -7%

Had straight from the bottle but poured a little bit to take a look at it. Had that classic light beer head that dissipates rapidly, lots of carbonation bubbling out. Pretty much like every other light beer I've had, save Sam Adams Light. Maybe slightly darker than the usually Coors/Bud Light.

Smells .. eh, pretty nondescript. I had two bottles. The first actually smelled ok, and tasted ok too. A little hoppy on the finish, without any hint of sweetness. The 2nd bottle was pretty bad. Skunky smell, skunky taste. Is it possible for a beer to get worse as you have more of it?

Decent enough mouthfeel, but given that bottle two was worse than bottle one, the drinkability must be judged as weak.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.