Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
kajerm

2.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Yeah, seriously.

Pours pale, almost colorless gold with a finger of head. I think my glassware is helping it out here. Lacing is minimal (but not entirely nonexistent.)

The aroma is Pilsen malt, a little sulfurous, but it doesn't smell like corn chips the way some beers do. Maybe a little Saaz hops-- or maybe I'm giving these guys too much credit. Still, it's a Euro lager, so I could be right.

The flavor profile consists of a 0.1% suspension of Pilsen malt in water. No Saaz. No nothing. Except water, with this obnoxious beer taste that makes it harder to drink.

The mouthfeel is like flat seltzer, or slightly fizzy water.

Drinkable but pretty insipid.

08-27-2007 02:28:09 | More by kajerm
bushbeer75

2.85/5  rDev +17.8%

12 oz brown bottle

Amstel Light Lager poured a clear pale straw color with a white head that is rather impressive for a light beer. The lager is light in taste as well as aroma. Amstel light has a thin mouth feel with carbonation that is a little light for the style. The after taste is clean with slight bitterness at the finish.

Amstel light is easy to drink, and is an all around average light beer. For the money, there are just as good American light lagers at a lower price.

08-04-2007 22:21:48 | More by bushbeer75
Rainintheface

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%

It was in the fridge, might as well taste.

A: light yellow with a 1 finger white head that quickly disappeared into a thin lace. lightly carbonated. Appearance would have rated higher if I judged on the first 5 seconds b/4 head disappeared

S: slight malt and corn

T: lightly carbonated, slight hop taste

M: crisp with a clean finish

D: easily drinkable. tastes better than most macro lights

12 ounce can poured with vigor.

08-01-2007 20:43:31 | More by Rainintheface
dmamiano

West Virginia

1.98/5  rDev -18.2%

The only reason I had this beer was a friend bought it for me at the beach side lounge at Hilton Head so I thought, what the heck?
Almost clear beer with a slight yellow tint. Big head, no lacing and carbonated high.
Absolutely no smell or distiungishable characteristics.
Flavor was very weak and mouthfeel was lousy.
Glad I didnt have to pay for it, I would have wanted my money back!

07-31-2007 01:17:31 | More by dmamiano
Padron4KM

Arizona

2.42/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle. Factory date code on back of label.

Clear light yellow with a steady stream of forced carbonation bubbles.
Head is fluffy white and short lived, but does leave decent lacing.

Aroma is corn and metal and wet grain

What little flavor there is s consists of light graininess, and some lightly grassy hops.

Decent light lager, better than BMC, but is it worth the extra $? I don’t think so.

07-22-2007 07:47:50 | More by Padron4KM
kevman527

2.45/5  rDev +1.2%

From a clear bottle, apperance was that of a light gold color.

Smell was clean, nothing really that stood out.

Taste was minimal, nothing much to it, though better than most light beers.

Mouthfeel was a light fizzy feeling.

Easy to drink, smooth with no aftertaste.

I didn't mind it, I wouldn't drink it that often but it was somewhat refreshing.

07-21-2007 22:10:05 | More by kevman527
DoubleJ

2.08/5  rDev -14%

What's with all the fuss over this beer? Well, I'm going to see if I can find out. On to the beer:

A lighter blonde in color with a pretty thin head. Retention is okay. It has a smell of cooked veggies, some grain, and sulfur. So far, it's not living up to the hype, and no, it won't. The taste is mildly astrigent with husk...wait, is that corn I'm also tasting? That's not very European to me. The bitterness is light and rides in the form of the carbonation and a touch of hop. Finishes pretty dry.

It might be a shade better than the Big 3 Lights. but that doesn't justify the high prices this costs. In the category of light beer, Michelob Light tastes better and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

07-16-2007 17:32:16 | More by DoubleJ
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

1.98/5  rDev -18.2%

ABV listed at 4%, 355ml brown bottle, courtesy of the TBS Fund.

I knew that light travels faster than sound, and apparently so does smell. Almost instantaneous to the sizzling sound after prying the cap I could smell the stale, malty aroma with distinct skunk overcoat that is character of so many (dare I say all?) Dutch macro lagers. I know this bottle was hidden from light during it's journey from Amsterdam so I don't mean to say it's "skunked" so much as it just is (used as an adjective) "skunky" smelling.

The beers acts the way a beer should, that is to say I could observe a stream of carbonation rise up the neck of the bottle once opened. The head is frothy (not enough bubbles to call soapy) but very, very frothy. The head clings tightly, coating the sides in a soapy, white residue. The colour isn't quite generic - it's a dusty, sandy colour. Even more unattractive than bland.

The mouthfeel is immensely creamy (more so then some of the CO2 induced, widget cans). The texture doesn't even closely resemble that of any other style beer (except perhaps the Guinness cans). Alongside the overly creamy texture is very low carbonation - and for these reasons the beer certainly doesn't quench.

The mouthfeel might not hinder the beer so much if it weren't for the fact that it has no taste either. While the mouthfeel/texture remind me nothing of beer, the taste does little better. Any malt is difficult to pick out and placing it within a style according to its flavour would lead me to associate it only with non-alcoholic offerings.

I'd had Amstel Light before and remembered it for being an equal substitute to Heineken. After today's sample I can think of few beers I would prefer this over...

07-15-2007 02:55:30 | More by biegaman
tempest

3.48/5  rDev +43.8%

Wow, the best light beer I've had. But maybe I'm just easily impressed by hops in a light lager. The pale malt was weak, but there was an actual hops profile of spicy European hops. The aroma was actually quite big for a light beer, and while it hinted at it's light lager style with adjuncts, the pale malt and hops still showed through. Really, this has to be one of the only light lagers that actually leaves some bitterness in your mouth. Still, this beer is only good for the style.

06-27-2007 23:57:21 | More by tempest
pmcadamis

1.3/5  rDev -46.3%

This was about the only beer on my cruise ship that I hadn't reviewed yet, so although it's not something I would normally spend five bucks on, I had to review it. I tried this brew in the Schooner Bar...my favorite bar on the Enchantment of the Seas.

A - Clear, light yellow, dull with a decent but short lived one finger head and some soptty lacing. A swirl brought the head back to a finger.

S - Gritty and macro-lagery adjunct-laden nose. Peppery acrid sweat-like hops. Smells alot like Heineken. Pretty nasty aroma really.

T - Very faintly peppery with alot af saaz characteristics. The flavor is very weak, but shat I can taste is sour, funky, acrid, and peppery. This is not at all pleasant.

M - Medium bodied for a light lager, but still quite watery. Highly carbonated with an absolutely clean finish which in this case is a blessing.

D - Pretty nasty stuff. I haven't tried the full flavored Amstel, but I won't touch this light crap ever again.

06-24-2007 15:06:22 | More by pmcadamis
BeerBelcher

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer is significantly better than other import lights like Beck’s Light (utterly wretched) and Heineken Light (stinks). Truth be told, I thought this was better than Sam Adams Light. The brown bottle of Amstel Light appears to do its job; this beer is in no way skunky in flavor or aroma which for a European mainstream pale lager should be celebrated as some kind of achievement! This beer has a light grainy aroma and flavor which is very light and watery, but not at all unpleasant. Color is somewhere between a Heineken Light and a Sam Light, but in no way remarkable.

To be honest, I don’t get any of these up-priced light beers. I do drink light beers at times, but when I do I drink Miller Lite...and of the ones I’ve mentioned in this review, I can’t say I will be switching from that preference for Miller Lite any time soon.

06-16-2007 18:15:01 | More by BeerBelcher
dacrza1

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle in a Boag’s Premium pilsner glass…barnacles of bubbles cling to the bottom third of the glass after an overly effervescent head dissipates…for how many Amstels I’ve had, I’ve never sessioned it before (I hear some snickers from my serious drinking friends)…still, here goes…the tint is urine yellow…the aroma is unmistakable Northern European mass production, although some slivers of nostalgia are embedded in that smell…and then, the tin-swift rush through the mouth. No palate to speak of. The consolation—and insult—of this lager is simply that it cries for some sort of bar food to interact with. Like ketchup, this beer shouldn’t be enjoyed alone…oh well…

06-16-2007 00:49:39 | More by dacrza1
Atron67

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a yellow watery looking clear with light white foam that faded pretty quickly

S- Smells like corn, maybe a little malt, not much else
T- very simple, watery corn very light body, no complexity
M- very light
D- could drink alot but because there isnt much there,

06-09-2007 23:49:20 | More by Atron67
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%

Color is a typical amber-gold, not much head. Smell is fairly substantial and malty. Flavor is malty and pleasant, not complex, a little watery but still palatable. For a light beer, this actually tastes pretty good - considerably better than any other light beer I've ever had. At least one feels as though one is drinking beer and not beer-flavored water!

05-27-2007 00:41:34 | More by Cyberkedi
Byeast

2.93/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a clear pale gold, mild carbonation. Smell is of light grains and a hint of lime like smell, almost light struck. Taste is of course very light, but there is some light strawish grain and a hint of citrus zest. Its not a bad beer, quenched my thirst and did not offend. I probably won't be buying it though because of the price, and the low ABV.

05-26-2007 17:10:16 | More by Byeast
KiltedCulinarian

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a light golden colour with just a little too much head. Lacing was a tad spotty. A lot of carbonation up front, finishing out smooth with just a hint of bitterness at the very end. Went well with my bratwurst. Essentially omnipresent; if there is nothing better, i.e. at a baseball game or other such venue, this is my beer of choice.

05-14-2007 00:43:49 | More by KiltedCulinarian
sleazo

1.83/5  rDev -24.4%

A-Pale golden yellow. Small head which leaves a soapy slick atop the beer. There is a steady stream of bubbles but no head.

S-Not much smell to speak of.

T is more of the same. Slightly bitter. Not much different than other mass produced euro light lagers. Defininite metallic twang.

M- is seltzer like. Sharp bite to it.

DJust uninteresting and boring though inoffensive.

05-03-2007 03:36:15 | More by sleazo
coalcracker

2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: light golden color that may be a shade darker than your Bud/Miller/Coors lights.
Smell: 'Skunky' aroma with corn present.
Taste: Grainy with corn as well. Tastes bolder than your usual light beer- think 'Heineken light'. Aftertaste is clean.
Mouthfeel: A bit thin and astringent.
Drinkability: Very drinkable for its ABV, though its signature taste turns me off just a bit for a session brew.
Overall: A tad better than your usual lights.

04-28-2007 19:38:39 | More by coalcracker
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.15/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a little pungent with the typical macro smell of grain, corn and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is sweet and bready with flavors of light malts & corn. However, overall there really isn’t a lot to it, which, I guess is what appeals those that drink it regularly as they can drink a beer without feeling like they’re drinking a beer.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very tasty simply because there’s not much to taste, goes down very easily, not filling at all, with a 3.50% ABV there’s almost no kick but that’s essentially what this style is for. However, there are definitely better light beers out there.

04-05-2007 02:26:10 | More by TheManiacalOne
Drew966

2.3/5  rDev -5%

Amstel Light pours a light yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is skunky. Light body and a skunky flavor, but not as intense as I would have imagined. Doesn't taste like much really, a little skunk toward the end. Not recommended.

04-01-2007 01:20:42 | More by Drew966
Schwarzbart

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Very, very pale straw color. Almost looked watery. Luckily the head was a little creamy and appealing.
Smell: Like all light beers. Adjunct malts and a corn smell.
Taste: Like many light beers, but not annoying. Not much to taste, but it goes done easy, almost like water.
Mouthfeel: Light and creamy. A nice texture.
Drinkability: If I want to drink a lot, I could drink some of these.

02-21-2007 02:28:47 | More by Schwarzbart
jaydanahy

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz brown bottle-

Amstel Light was a pale yellow color with a white head. The head was around briefly. The aroma was typical mass-market light beer malt and grain. The taste was light and and had a dry finish. It had medium carbonation. Drinkability was average. It's very average overall for mass-market beer, an acceptable alternative if at a sporting event or bar that lacks interesting inventory.

02-18-2007 13:35:25 | More by jaydanahy
pumarocks

2.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A average light beer. Can you believe it retails at nearly $8/sixer? Not really worth it to me. Anyway, it is a drinkable beer with a bright white head and a skunky smell akin to Grolsch or Heineken. Mouthfeel is near water levels. Not abad for a light beer but nowhere near Sam Adams Light.

01-30-2007 19:59:00 | More by pumarocks
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

1.48/5  rDev -38.8%

What can I say about this one? A little malt and a little hop bite, but skunk and cooked vegetable dominate both the aroma and the flavor, and the drinkability suffers as a result. The mouth feel is a bit better than many light lagers, though not much. Honestly, you'd be better off getting a Bud Light. I'd rather have something that tastes like water than something that tastes this bad. I'd say I had a bad bottle, but the last bottle I had of this a couple years ago was just as bad. I figured my palate has changed a bit since then, so perhaps I'd re-try it. I'm glad I did, but I was not impressed with this brew (still), unfortunately.

12-24-2006 03:38:20 | More by MrHurmateeowish
mmmbeer

2.35/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. It pours into the pilsner glass a crystal-clear pale gold with light carbonation and a finger of white head that leaves little lace. The aroma is quite light and macroish with maybe a touch of hops and the flavor is just as bland, with maybe some corn but no trace of hops.The body is light and tingly, drying, with a short finish. Overall not much more than carbonated alcohol water. Might as well drink something from BMC instead of paying for this import.

12-21-2006 08:20:32 | More by mmmbeer
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.