Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

Had straight from the bottle but poured a little bit to take a look at it. Had that classic light beer head that dissipates rapidly, lots of carbonation bubbling out. Pretty much like every other light beer I've had, save Sam Adams Light. Maybe slightly darker than the usually Coors/Bud Light.

Smells .. eh, pretty nondescript. I had two bottles. The first actually smelled ok, and tasted ok too. A little hoppy on the finish, without any hint of sweetness. The 2nd bottle was pretty bad. Skunky smell, skunky taste. Is it possible for a beer to get worse as you have more of it?

Decent enough mouthfeel, but given that bottle two was worse than bottle one, the drinkability must be judged as weak.

3.1/5  rDev +28.1%

Okay, so I'm trying to cut back on some calories and drink a little leaner (beer, and myself), and I used to enjoy this one some 25 years ago (talk about palate development), so I grabbed a sixer.

A -- Clear, pale as pale yellow can be, frothy white head that slowly settles to a nice cap.

S -- Well, I can smell a "beery" smell from the pour, sort of grainy with some meager noble hops back. I've had good lagers that have had lesser aromas, but there isn't anything terribly enticing in this nose.

T -- Hmm, graininess washes over, settles into an odd, almost burnt grain flavor, finishes with some slight bitterness and is gone -- though there's some lingering hop spiciness -- maybe even some green fruit acetaldehyde biting through. Eh.

M -- Light body (go figure) with a very crisp and dry mouthfeel, barely there.

D -- Well, what can you say? It isn't an offensive beer, it certainly doesn't make you think too much about silly things like flavor and character, and goes down real easy. If you understand what you're getting into when you pop the cap, you shouldn't be expecting a Fullers ESB. I could down a few in a sitting... before I got really bored.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served by a friend at a BBQ. Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Poured into a Duvel Belgian beer goblet. Has a white head and looks alot like most other crap pilsners sold en mass in USA. Crip golden color that is appealing, but the color is a bit deceiving. Nose is grass and straw mixed with skunk. Maybe I got an old bottle but i doubt it.

Taste is light. Not very hoppy or malty. Kind of bland. There is skunk mixed with light banana and tart acid from the high carb. Not very good. Mouth feel is watery. Overall I am unhappy with this beer. Maybe on a hot day when I was very very thirsty, this might go down better.

But today was pretty hot and I was a little thirsty so the prospects are not good.

I will not be going here again unless I have no choice.

2.73/5  rDev +12.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Pale yellow as expected. Not much head or lacing.

Smell: Light hay-like malts, slight spicy hops.

Taste: Very light malts that have grainy characteristics with a touch of hay and grass. Slightly spicy and bitter at the end, although it seems oddly out of place - can't quite explain why.

Feel: Pretty high carbonation, light body, surprisingly dry finish.

Drinkability: The best characteristic about this light beer (it's dry, spicy finish) also seems to be it's biggest detriment. Overall, not bad for a light beer. But it's still a light beer.

2.9/5  rDev +19.8%

A-Watered down Light Orange
S-Not sure
T-Light carmel and hop flavor.
M-Carbonation with Light Body
D-Must be deprived of beer for weeks to truly enjoy this...Ok I know this beer is lacks true flavor, but has a better taste than other light beers out there, and that is what it is a Light beer... and one of the better ones in my opinion.

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle, never had the Amstel Light before,

A: Pours gold with a light fizzy white head, fair retention.

S: Euro lager husky grain, light noble hops, big aroma for the style.

T: Extremely light, even for this style. Club soda, very mild malt.

M: Watery, thin, fizzy. Clean finish is the one high quality.

D: I was hoping this imported effort would be a more interesting effort of this style. It's not, and certainly not worth the extra buck or 2 a sixer over a domestic light beer.

3.6/5  rDev +48.8%

Appearance: Very pale yellow with not much carbonation or foam for me. It's hard to say I'm impressed but it's not gross.

Smell: A bit of a sweet breadlike smell that I've not experienced in many other beers. Overall, boring.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nothing too memorable either way, except for the same sweetness in the smell. Watery as it warms. I kind of like this but there aren't distinct flavors. No hops and only a bit of malt.

Drinkability: Amstel is definitely one of the more drinkable European beers, along with fellow Dutch beer Heineken. You could drink a volume of this stuff that would equal a 40oz of say...King Cobra...and not feel a thing.

Overall: I like Amstel better than Heineken, although I feel like most people view oppositely. Either way, this beer is definitely decent, not too exciting, and has no bad qualities.

1.6/5  rDev -33.9%

This was a freebie.

Pale gold with a big white head--what a pleasant surprise! My mirth doesn't last long however as said head quickly fades and vanishes. Sigh.

Smells like a lager..and canned corn. I may be imagining this but there may be a hop cry for help in here somewhere.

Tastes like obscenely light , watered down grains, fish tank chemicals and some kind of vegetable potion. Has a buttery "eew" in back. I'm not going to try and determine exactly what said eew is because I'm trying with all my might not to focus on it. Eew.

If people think Bud represents American brewing the way that I believed that Amstel represents the Netherlands, I understand our bad rep. That said it appears there's bad beer all over the world.

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

Amstel Light poured a bright yellow color, with a rich head. It smelt awful and just offensive, it smelt almost skunked. There wasnt much in the taste either, it simply didnt have a taste, which might be good; it didnt taste like the smell. It was light and easy to drink. Overall its not the worst beer in the world, and its a better light beer, it wasnt good, but at the same time its not really bad.

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of white head. It is straw colored and clear. I could smell the skunked aroma as I poured it. I is basically tasteless and has some biting carbonation. It doesn't taste skunky, which is nice. It is just a watery, tasteless, skunky smelling beer.

Proost!

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Amstel Light pours a bright sunny yellow, crystal clear with a fizzy white head which quickly dissipates.

The aroma has a bit of grainy malt and a slight sour note.

The flavor is grainy and lacking in much flavor, there is a lightly bitter pungency and a metallic astringency. Lightly lemony as well, with a vague European hop character. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel is completely lacking in body, thin and watery with fizzy carbonation.

As far as light beers go I suppose this one is as drinkable as they come, however I'm glad a friend gave me this single one to try. If I were at a party or a cook out and this was the beer they had, well I could at least drink it. Probably even refreshing on a hot summer day.

2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, goldenrod-colored body with a medium-sized, frothy, white head.

Smell: Lightly sweet-scented impression of malts and a little whiff of hops. While it doesn't elicit any excitement, I sure as hell have smelled far, far worse in a beer.

Taste: Excruciatingly thin flavor of ultra pale malts imparting a touch of sweetness and a hint of sourish grains. Sparsely spicy hops with just enough light bitterness to be noticed. The finish is both dry, clean, and crisp, but somewhat short, so Amstel Light is a lot like life, really. One minute it's there, and the nex---

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation. Bordering on being watery.

Drinkability: Sure, it's uninteresting and comes up a tad watery, but it IS a light lager. Harmless and forgettable, if it weren't for these humble notes, I'd be hard-pressed to recall the details.

3.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Clear, straw color with a fluffy white head that ends up staying a thin layer.

Notes of grain (corn) and grass in the aroma.

Fairly clean and simple taste with a fairly dry finish. Not particularly exciting but not foul by any means.

Considering that this is a light beer, it's not the worst. But I'll never drink it again.

1.95/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Pours a light, brilliantly clear pale yellow color. The medium-sized white head has a foamy texture and a somewhat brief lifespan. There is a respectable smattering of weblike lacing.

S: The nose is one-dimensionally vegetal, with hints of rough grain husks and lightly herbal/floral hops. A touch metallic as well.

T: An extremely thin grainy malt presence up front. A definite cooked vegetable flavor is quite apparent, unfortunately. There is a hint of herbal hop bite towards the finish.

M: Typically thin-bodied. Carbonation lends some crispness, but not enough to really be appealing. A dry finish.

D: This beer's popularity is about as damning an indictment of the light lager style as I can find. An expensive European import that is sadly lacking flavor, character, or any sense of refreshment.

1.7/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 ox bottle into Mug.

This beer pours a straw yellow pee like color hmmm i wonder...

Smells like nuts and new leather with a hint of sneaker as well

Tastes kinda like it smells minus the nuts.

mouthfeel is nothing impressive

being an import this beer is kind of lagging a lot of flavor. Lets go amsterdam we know your good for weed lets get to the beer.

1.93/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours light pale straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention.
I have had this beer numerous times and I don't remember getting as strong skunk smell as I got this time. Probably some grain and corn husks in there but the skunk dominates.
Taste is thin, slight tart and dry.
Mouthfeel is also thin, watery.
This is a pricey beer and on a value scale there are many light beers at half the price that are every bit as good and in many cases better.

2.25/5  rDev -7%

Pours a light straw color and has somewhat of a head.
Smells of yeast and a bit of what I seem to smell in most imported beers, which is probably the yeast.
Tastes like a bit of an average beer, nothing special. Yeast and malts... not much else. Has an interesting aftertaste similar to grass.

Not something I would buy again.

2.3/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Clear gold in color, with a small white head

S: Light graininess and a definite, although not that distinct, hop aroma, which I am glad it has, since I wasn't expecting it to, doesn't have that skunkyness of green bottled dutch beer

T: Nothing great here, just again that standard graininess of a light lager, however, I was expecting something a little different out of an import beer, tastes very bland and macro

M: Light, but very carbonated

D: In terms of being able to put down quantity, pretty good, not great, in terms of wanting to drink, low

Notes: I drank this right after I had a Heineken Light, and this beer tasted so much better. However, after trying this by itself, I had to lower my scores. I guess being better than Heineken Light isn't saying much.

2.15/5  rDev -11.2%

12.30.09 at The Ambassador.

A: glad I couldn't see light, flat yellow through the brown glass

S: even gladder I couldn't smell the (bad) skunky scent

T: definitely tastes like something is missing; the flavor isn't all there

M: tighter carbonation could have balanced the light body

D: Had it at $2 Tuesdays. What did you expect?

2.85/5  rDev +17.8%

Joining in with the fiance on a low carb diet before our wedding so this was worth a try. It pours nearly completely clear with a 1/4 inch head which quickly vanishes. Its not ALL that bad. Its drinkable. Throw a lime in there with it and that will give it a little extra boost. God, I miss my porters.

2.68/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Darker than most light lagers but still with a quickly dissipating white head.

Smell- Not terrible. Grains with a few hops, fairly faint but present.

Taste- Slightly skunky and screams macro. Other than that not the worst beer in the world and it actually has some character to it. Definitely not too bad when you take the style into account. Also warms up pretty well for a light lager.

Mouthfeel- My only complaint here is its fairly watery and could perhaps use a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability- Not something I'd ever buy for myself but I'd take it over a lot of beers. Good as far as generic light lagers goes.

2.55/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a pale straw color, crisp white head, minimal lacing. Smell is of faint corn and typical lager-like skunk. Taste is of faint dried grains, mostly corn like. Nothing really off. Light body, very carbonated. Nothing to write home about, just another cheap light lager.

For a long time, i was convinced this was a big step up from the BMC lights of the world. I though it always had just enough flavor to justify that claim, now im feeling like i bought into hype. Maybe not, did have a little flavor to it. Meh.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours clear and quite pale from a 12 oz. bottle. A hard to obtain cap of foam settles quickly as large bubbles pop away. A light carbonation from the bottom of the glass weakens in short order.

Nose is light overall, offering uncooked grain sense to it yet without metallic or vegetal notes to speak of. Slim hint of hops.

Flavor is thin, light, watery. Particularly as the carbonation dissipates. Tastes better directly from the bottle with a touch of carbonation and a light grainy/fruity finish. Feel is flat and watery in either case. Fairly drinkable as it doesn't offend yet has not character whatsoever to justify the concept.

3.43/5  rDev +41.7%

Never mind me - I'm just doing the CAN CAN on Veterans' Day! CAN you dig it?

My pour netted a little better than a finger's worth of bubbly, rocky bone-white head with low retention. The color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a slight grassiness underlain by a cereal quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a lightly sweet vanilla taste in the mouth. Very different from many of the CANned light beers that I have drank of late. Finish was slightly dry, kind of refreshing. It would probably be more satisfying on a hot day.

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer surprised me! Had it at a party at work--bottle on ice, poured into a plastic cup. Yeah, I know.

Golden colored--slightly darker than most similar mass-produced lagers. No head to speak of. Meh.

Smelled just a hint of skunk, not much else.

Tasted better than I'd imagined. It wasn't skunky at all (which is what I expected). It wasn't great, but hey, who's counting? (Oh, we are. Oh well.)

Mouthfeel was a step above water, and not a big one. It was a little too carbonated too.

Drinkability? I'd have it again, but I'd never buy it. Don't think it would pair well with anything...

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.