Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance: A light golden color with a decent head that lasted for a while.

Smell: Smelled like your typical Light Lager with some weak malt and corn, but it seemed to have some other spice that I couldn't quite place, and I can't say I liked.

Taste: Some wheat and corn, but all-in-all, pretty bland. Could taste a hint of that spice I thought I smelled, but still couldn't place it.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: Not exactly something I would go searching for, but it could be good on a hot day with some food.

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in a New York restaurant on June 3rd, 2009.

C: pale yellow with some carbonation and thin head that disappear.

S: Wheat and Corn mainly. Very similar to a Heineken.

T: Nothing much. Mainly wheat, probably some malt but very faint.

D: Easy drink for hot summer day. However, not my typical type of beer.

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Translucent yellow color, very carbonated. Very small, bubbly head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Bubbles constantly rise to the top throughout the entire drink.

S: Sweet malts, corn, grains, metal, some skunk aroma, alcohol... not much going on in the aroma. Overall sweet but not pleasant.

T: Taste isn't much better: corn, grains and water with a sweet malt finish. Tastes like your typical European lager, though slightly more watery and less flavorful because it's a light. I have heard this is the best light beer, and I must say I am not impressed.

M: Very smooth, watery; not as carbonated as it looks. Very light bodied. I prefer a little more body from my beers, though you can't expect much from this style of beer.

D: Yes, it is very drinkable, very smooth and watered down, but at 3.5% alcohol you'd have to drink a lot of these just to get a buzz... but I guess that's the point. Overall, absolutely nothing spectacular here. VERY overpriced, I'm glad I got it on sale. Who would pay regular price for this?

3.43/5  rDev +41.7%

Appearance: big head, light yellow, high carbonation, and clear

Smell: lemon and wheat

Taste: lemon and wheat

Mouthfeel: sweet, smooth, and watery

Drinkability: For a light lager I think this is highly drinkable, especially in warmer weather. While not the first thing I would go for, it is more sessionable than a lot of beers in its class.

2.4/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Pours out a white gold/ pale as hell yellow. A smidge of head dissapears instantly and leaves nothing to suggest this is anything other than soda.

S- Sulfury and corny- really corny actually. Not so much fun to smell- this one almost reminds me of malt liquor.

T- The taste is significantly better than the smell. There's some hop bitterness, in sort of a dusty or dirty earthy kind of way. And while the corn flavor is there, it's way toned down from before, giving the chance to at least notice some malt flavor.

M- Also not awful in this department. The bittereness makes an attempt at balancing out the corny sweetness, though it does fall far short. If the carbonation was higher I might even give this one a 3.

D- Drinkable? Well I could probably chug a couple of these. Now would I want to? A much better question, and the answer is no. Though in a pinch I would take this over a BMC lite.

2.15/5  rDev -11.2%

This really seems more like an american adjunct light to me, I am not impressed at all. This is a common 'premium' option in bars, I would avoid. Crystal clear, as pale as pale can be, the smell is skunk and cereal. There is some corn floating around in the taste...unimpressive at best...I would stay away....next time I'll just grab a dollar High Life and be done with it.

2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Brilliant yellow color, urinary type, the head of foam live for less than 10 seconds;

S: A few essences of fresh malt and lots of carbonation;

T: Good to be light, some malt too;

M: Watery, fizzy, light bitterness and light body;

D: Easy to drink, Now it's my second favorite light beer, dominating still Modelo LIght.

2.88/5  rDev +19%

The old throwback import for me... I've drank many of these over my lifetime when nothing else was available. It was sorta my standby for a while... I realize now it wasn't as good as I thought but I still have one every now and then for old times sake.

1.95/5  rDev -19.4%

A: thin pale gold with near clear watery edges. No head and no lace. I caught a glimpse of white fizz after the pour and that was it

S: watery grains of corn and barley with a light sugary syrup sniff. Soft metallic whiffs as well

T: in most regards I would say "artificial." There is some cooked grains with maybe a dusting of hops, or so I like to think. Hops may come across with a vegetable type flavor

M: bubbly with a somewhat medium style body within the light category

D: not really much to this, I mean nothing at all

3.18/5  rDev +31.4%

Appearance:
On the plus size the beer was star bright and a beautiful straw/golden color. True to style. On the negative side the bright white head was small to moderate and it went away quickly. Only a thin broken white foam was left on top and there was no lacing.

Aroma:
Not good. Winey, solvent like almost with some grassy and grainy aromas in there. If that's where it ended then it would have been okay. But I got some catty aromas and the dreaded DMS. Gross.

Taste:
Slight malt sweetness in the aftertaste was the best part of this beer. Very pleasant. Slight hop bitterness tries to contribute but is drowned out by the general nothingness of this beer. However, true to style! A low calorie light lager! No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel:
Light bodied with medium to medium high carbonation. Lively enough.

Drinkability:
Very high. However, what could you pair this beer with? Any food I can think of would dominate this light lager.

Bottom Line:
It smells bad but doesn't taste bad. It doesn't taste like much of anything. I think my grade for this beer is higher than most others because I tried to judge it within its style category. I would never buy this beer again however.

1.75/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a pale straw color. The head is a half an inch in height, and recedes quickly leaving no lacing. The aroma is of nothing. When I try really hard I can detect some extremely faint malt. The taste is little easier to detect that the aroma, but it is still mostly nothing. The mouthfeel is light bodied with nice carbonation. It is actually pretty good for a light lager. Overall, this beer tastes too much like water for my likings. I will not be having this beer again.

1.9/5  rDev -21.5%

The color of chardonnay with about as much head as a glass of wine.

Aroma is initially a bitter skunky funk, some grassy straw notes, but if you concentrate you can pick out some bready honey malt lying way beneath.

Flavor is similar to the nose, initially skunky, but some notes of corn and honey malt emerge as it rolls through the mouth.

Mouthfeel is slick and watery, but finishes tingly, very crisp. Very low drinkability. I know a lot of people like this as a low calorie lighter import, but there really is not much flavor, and what flavor is there is funky and skunky.

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%

As far as looks goes It definitely looks like a Light Lager, so you can't put it down for that.

Smells like DMS and water, with maybe the hint of some hops. Horrible, a bud smells much better. wow I just said that.

Tastes ok for a light lager, easy to drink, not hops no malts, your typical light lager, maybe a bit worse actually.

Mouthfeel is light and no alcohol or suprises.

Drinkability is not quite as good as other light lagers. Should go down like water and it doesn't.

1.55/5  rDev -36%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

"Sickly yellow" is the only way I can describe the color of this beer. The head lasts for about 5 seconds before disappearing completely. The only thing I can discern from the nose is that this beer is probably skunked. Tastes of grains, corn and some kind of hop--very unbalanced. Watery and extremely carbonated, reminiscent of a club soda. Maybe this beer has some sort of defining flavor, but I can't find it through the excess carbonation and unappealing aroma. I couldn't even finish this one bottle. It's too bad macrobrews have to be like this.

1.78/5  rDev -26.4%

In a pint glass:

More head than i expected, but it did not stick around. Almost no lacing. Not going to lie, based on looks alone I was not looking forward to trying this. Smelled of farm, which was not unpleasant, but there was just nothing else in there. Tasted a little citrus. Again, nothing else. No body at all. Too much carb, even for the style.

Overall: maybe all the marketing has clouded my judgment a bit. I was hoping this would stand up a little better than its American macro peers... but... eh. Pass on this one.

2.15/5  rDev -11.2%

The color is a pale yellow, while the head was virtually nonexistant after a minute or so.

Smell? There's only a hint of an aroma, but it mostly smells of nothingness.

Taste, a bit grainy at first, but soon becomes a watery nothingness with a bit of a metal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It's as if they heard of carbonation, and this was there best possible guess as how it should manifest itself in their beef. If mouthfeel could equate to knives, Amstel Light would be a butter knife.

Drinkability: I do see how some people could defend this beer on a hot summer day - after all, it is mostly water. But there has to be a better light beer out there than this.

1.6/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Pale, straw yellow without much head.

S: Not much to speak of. From what I detect, mainly a random assortment of grains with a touch of grain alcohol, just to spice things up.

T: Primarily watered down adjunct malts. There's a slight twang of hop bitterness, but the odd effect it creates is very off-putting. It's similar to the bitterness you get if you (somehow) bite into a bar of soap.

M: Crisp and clean; but which macro lager isn't?

D: I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle.

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Well, here we have yet another light lager that just isn't up to snuff. There's almost no aroma to speak of. It is crisp, but the taste is rather acidic and slightly offensive. I do not approve.

If you see the international beer pack at World Market, buy something else. They put more of an emphasis on number of countries, not quality of beverages.

2.8/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this on-tap at Flip and Bailey's in Rosemont, PA where it came in a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear dark golden color, topped with nothing but air.
Smell: The aroma is completely absent as well.
Taste: The taste is fresh and a bit hoppy with a hint of pale malt that acts as a backbone.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very crisp and refreshing.
Drinkability: I don't believe this is as bad as the other reviews make it seem.
Don't drink and review.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Gold color. Fizzy white head that didn't last very long. not much lacing either.

S: A little malty..maybe a little bitters...

T: Weak as far as taste. Clean finish..some bitter in the middle..

M: Light with a little carbonation

D: better than most american lights, but not much

1.45/5  rDev -40.1%

A buddy of mine bought a 6-pack of this thinking it would be similar to the non-light version he likes. Since I had never had any Amstel beers, I tried one. I was not pleased.

App: It has a dingy water look as if not really a beer at all.

Smell: It smells like any other low grade beer. When it gets a little warm, it starts to smell slightly skunky.

Taste: It was terrible. One of the least tolerable things I have ever put in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Very frothy and light. Not too bad here.

Drink: It was a little tough getting past much more than half of a bottle.

Overall: I would not recommend this beer to anyone. It is awful cold and even worse warm. There is room for improvement, however.

2.13/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light straw amber with moderate carbonation and a hint of lacing. Smells like straw, hops, bitterness, and skunk. Tastes like watery straw with lots of skunk. Pretty light mouthfeel with average carbonation. This beer was not very drinkable, in my opinion - especially given that it is marketed as a "premium" quality beer here in the US.

3.23/5  rDev +33.5%

Almost too clear when poured, very little head and watery taste. It's very easy to put down a few in a short time because of the lack of overall "beer taste." It has a lighter feel and taste than typical American light beers but has a better drinkability

2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Notes Nov 2, 2008
Poured a pale gold with a moderate fizzy head,lots of carbonation. A grainy,corn aroma with a faint wiff of hops. Some flavor,little malt,little hops,with a crisp finish,thin body,kind of watery. Not bad for a light beer,but kind of steep in price, Drinkable

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours clear, light and golden with no head. Bizarre. Almost no aroma also. The taste is not offensive, just very faint. The mouthfeel is light and watery. Almost no bitterness to balance no malt. Not a bad beer, but barely a beer. Leaves a lasting impression of water.

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.