Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
doctorjoeyboey

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Aroma is like a Corona Light without the urine element. Color is an attractive champaign yellow with good yet somewhat diminishing head. I am having trouble even distinguishing the hops in this beer, as it is bland and simple. However, the taste is crisp (although weak) and the mouthfeel is smooth.

I am glad I tried this beer due to my Dutch heritage but it doesn't have unique traits from my perspective. I would drink it in place of most American macro lagers but wouldn't pay for it.

12-26-2005 05:48:52 | More by doctorjoeyboey
feloniousmonk

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

This bottle is another in a series of attempts by this brewer to antagonize it's core constituents, following the reworking of the label for Heineken Lager. A clear label, some form of plastic, rather than paper, is tightly and firmly affixed, leaving the loyal drinkers frustrated in their normal routine of tearing of the labels and affixing them, still wet to bartops and tables. Or folding them, tearing at them, any number of inane time-wasting activities that cause consternation to the pitiful bar worker who has to bend down to pick them up, or scrape them off the bar surface.

This loss of a common, long held tradition cause the drinker to feel an emptiness inside his very soul, and crushes his spirit.

Something like how I feel when I drink the beer.

Yes, about the contents...

Clear, faded yellow, wiuth a large, puffy white head that dies down in the wink of an eye. Fierce carbonation, bubbles rises up to the now naked surface.

Aroma isn't "skunky", but comes close to it. Mainly bare, with inoffensive vegetal sweetness.

Taste: not much to speak of, but, nothing to disturb one in any way. Wet and clean. Lightness in the body, and shortness in the finish. Slightly grainy texture, gives just the smallest premise of flavor. Carbonation continues running high, with a brisk refreshing burst every time you put it to the lips, with sprinkle of hops just barely tasted.

I admit, it's not bad for a light beer, but I don't much see the point. Alcohol + water, with a great void of taste.

Oh, well...

12-26-2005 04:46:26 | More by feloniousmonk
jmz62565

Connecticut

2.13/5  rDev -12%

This pours a straw color with a small head.The smell is almost nonexistent,with a very slight hop and cooked vegatable scent.The taste is light and weak.This is watery with a slight hoppish flavor.The m/f is also light,watery,and weak.I can't imagine ever trying this again.

12-04-2005 03:38:05 | More by jmz62565
daliandragon

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

I remember when this was actually a fairly well respected choice among beer pseudointellectuals. Not so much anymore. I blame those stupid Dennis Miller radio commercials rather than the beer itself but let's see.
The color is a predictable light gold with lots of visible carbonation and no head at all and a bit of lacing. The smell is very, very faint, almost nonexistant..maybe a little grain.
The taste is likewise not real strong but is pleasant in a wispy, watery kind of way. Maybe a little too much carbonation but not enough to really upset even someone who obsesses over bubbles like me. This is not a tasty, enjoyable beer but it is drinkable and good at the bar when the girls are staring at the gut. Not a real beer drinker's beer but does serve its purpose in a far less nauseating way than most of its American light counterparts. Knows its role and plays it.

11-26-2005 01:15:07 | More by daliandragon
danielharper

1.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Hunstville, AL.

Pours a light yellow body with a thick, foamy white head. Other than the color, this beer looks almost perfect, nifty and inviting.

At first all I got from the nose was this vaguely skunked, grassy, pilsener-like quality. After the head settled and I put my nose a little deeper into it, I got a touch of an almost Belgian-like yeast funkiness. And of course the requisite corn and utter absence of hops.

Taste... it's like getting kicked in the face. The funkiness hits hard on the palate, puckering the lips and making the beer even harder to swallow. Very dry, astringent quality to the aftertaste. Cloying and nasty.

Weak and watery mouthfeel.

I can't even stand this stuff long enough to drink the single. Drain-pour.

11-21-2005 22:06:14 | More by danielharper
faubs

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev +42.6%

Here the bit. It’s a tasty brew with out a doubt, but….its got the same color as the domestics, the same mouth feel as the domestics, and not much of a head. To be honest the smell leaves a little to be desired, however that being said. Its got pretty good taste, and that my friend is worth overlooking the scent it leaves on my upper lip. Not sure its worth the 8 bucks a sixer though. Stick to the pub on this one to decide if its for you.

10-25-2005 07:23:21 | More by faubs
johnshuster

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

I feel the same about this stuff as I do corona light-sure, it may be sissy beer, or whatever disparaging name you want to call it, but for me, it has its place. I dont always want a heavily flavored, thicker beer. Sometimes something light and crisp does the trick. If that's what I feel like I go for one of these.

a-nothing super special. Bottle has a bit of a refined appearance in comparison to similar domestic brews, what with its gold seals and fancy non-NASCAR-ish decor. Well worth the extra 2 clams at the bah, right?

s-this stuff smells kinda shitty. nothing great here, usual light beer smell.

t-light, crisp, refreshing. I love drinking this stuff with pizza. Washes the pie right down. ooo yeah.

M-much like sparking water. Very light, even taste. No heavy flavor of any kind. I don't know if I'd say balanced, since there is not much to balance here, but I like it. If you want something light with a bit of flavor, here you go.

D-another all nighter candidate. This stuff goes down like water if you have a stomach for light beers. I do, and so it does. Call me a wimp, I won't deny it.

10-21-2005 20:44:59 | More by johnshuster
semihobo

1.75/5  rDev -27.7%

The guy who runs the local macro joint gave me a six of this as thanks for buying a lot of beast for a party... free beer :)

Pours with a sizable head full of ugly large bubbles that drops fast, although it leaves a good layer on top of the beer. Color is yellow with a hint of green or brown. This is one of the clearest beers I've ever seen (not in terms of color, but opaqueness).

As soon as I opened the bottle the nasty smell hit me. Smells strongly of skunky lager... eww. This bottle was definitely in the light at his store, and sat out in my room for a bit. The nose is stinky rice, maybe other adjunct grains, and a hint of hops.

Tastes first of sourness, then reveals rice and corn graininess. Faint, faint hops on the finish. Yup, sour grains... that's about all I'm getting. No aftertaste really.

Mouthfeel is really weak. Undercarbonated for a light lager, needs a little boost to compensate for the pure water of the texture. The watery feel probably correlates with how clear this beer is.

I don't know what the pricing on this is like, but I imagine it's more expensive than macro light lagers. I'd take Miller Lite over this anyday. Maybe it wouldn't be skunky under other circumstances, but I feel that enough of these taste this way that I'm not rating an "off" sample. Even rated within the style this still has problems. Even though it's watery and low-alcohol, I couldn't drink many more due to the sourness.

10-18-2005 21:27:13 | More by semihobo
Bumpon10s

1.38/5  rDev -43%

Labeled as "The beer drinker's light beer". We'll see I suppose, haven't had it before, but I think I know what to expect.

A - Pours a fizzy, thin straw color, a typical macro lager big head that dissapears instantly, an effervecent beer.

S - I smell the corn and alcohol, kind of skunked too.

T - I honestly taste nothing, absolutley nothing. This is the "lightest" beer I've ever had. Far more tasteless than even something like rolling rock or michelob ultra.

M - Goes down like water, because frankly, it is. I get the slightest touch of carbonation, thats it.

D - Well, I suppose this category isn't terrible, because you could drink a TON of these and not get drunk or full, and at sub 4% ABV, they go down real fast.

Serving type: can

09-27-2005 07:14:34 | More by Bumpon10s
ommegangpbr

3.73/5  rDev +54.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to love this stuff... well, love is a strong word but I used to drink a lot of it. I was young and didnt know any better.
For a light beer, this is pretty good.
One downside, something I never noticed (or managed to pay attention to) when I was drinking this regularly is a soapy thing going on in the finish of the mouthfeel/flavor.
Light and watery all around but you can't expect too much for a light beer.
It's very easy to suck these down because of watery and generally inoffensive characteristics.
This has a bit more character than many other light beers out there.
Nothing worth dreaming about here, but a viable option depending upon your options.

09-23-2005 06:43:51 | More by ommegangpbr
brewQ

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Comes out of the bottle just fine ... CO2 gives a soft, medium head.
Oddly, the head condenses to 3-4 little foam islands.

A slightly skunky euro pils aroma I did not expect from a brown bottle.
(This might be a plus 'cuz there is no other smell).

Initially, like the aroma, there is some character- then, alas, watery thinness.

The finish is soo vacuous you can hear it sucking!

If you don't mind the negatives I've mentioned, you could drink a dozen of these- but why?

They also get my dubious award for the most illiegible production code- some raised white dots on a red background that appear to make no consumer sense whatsoever.

09-18-2005 01:51:50 | More by brewQ
alankwak

3.25/5  rDev +34.3%

A: Lightly golden. Decent head retention and lacing.
S: Low aroma...low hoppiness.
T: Not bad....better than most American light beers for sure. More towards hops than malt.
M: Very light...but you can actually taste it. OK here.
D: Good. Could throw many of these back. Problem is...low alcohol content. I mean..well..let's keep it over 4% folks. But hey.... did the best they could I guess.

Overall: I liked this beer as far as a light beer goes. Better effort that American Macrobrews I think.

09-17-2005 03:58:44 | More by alankwak
scooter231

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow strawish color with a little bit of white head and very minimal lacing. Smells lightly lemony and grainy. Nothing special. Tastes grainy and there's a bit of bitter hops in there, as well as a hint of lemon. More than your average light beer. Mouthfeel is watery and slightly soapy feeling. Fairly drinkable, a good thirst-quencher in the summer time.

Overall, a decent light beer- not the greatest tasting thing ever, but it has its purpose, and I'd rather have this than Coors.

09-06-2005 02:16:54 | More by scooter231
buxwheat

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

This is my "work in the yard all day" beer. I disagree with most reviewers: this is a good beer to have when you're having more than one...a lot more than one. It is not the best brew I have ever had, but far from the worst. I was never a lite beer fan until this one came around. Coor's light had been my preferred "beach beer", when all you want is something cold and wet, but not sweet, and water is just a little too, well, watery. So until a better lite beer comes around, I'll always have a case in the fridge.

Serving type: can

09-03-2005 18:25:59 | More by buxwheat
tobyandgina

Nevada

3.85/5  rDev +59.1%

After pour, there was a good head on it, which remained for most of the duration. Good amount of bubbles. A very light golden color, almost too light. Smell was pretty good, malt and wheat are present (also present in taste). A traditional lager flavor. The flavor does not tend to linger on the tongue for very long, though. Very crisp and light. Best served on a hot summer day in a Pilsner glass - very refreshing.

For a light beer, this one is very tastey!

08-21-2005 01:22:02 | More by tobyandgina
KoG

Nevada

1.15/5  rDev -52.5%

Looks almost clear with a slight yellow tint and no head at all.

Smells like a skunk, even with the brown bottle. At least it had some sort of aroma.

Taste is awful. Watered down hops with a strangely stinging mouthfeel. This was not good at all.

At 3.5%, if low alcohol is your aim get a bitter. I will never ever touch this again. Guess the comercials are right by saying the "Lite beer drinkers lite beer." I guess I'm not a lite beer drinker.

07-19-2005 01:55:25 | More by KoG
palliko

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%

Why do breweries bother with light beer? I know, for the executive on the go who doesn’t want to feel filled up. Have a club soda instead! Appearance of this Light beer is almost clear water with a drop of yellow, not much foam and no lace. Aroma is that of the usual brussel sprouts and eau de skunk. Initial taste consists of watery malt, some grain, metallic alum in the middle, and a hint of some hops that strayed here accidentally. Way too expensive for the bitter aftertaste it leaves behind.

07-13-2005 12:38:00 | More by palliko
PBRstreetgang

3.08/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours pale straw with a foamy two finger head and decent retention. Noteworthy patchwork of lace. Pilsener malt and euro-hop nose. Husky grain flavor with a solid pilsener malt backbone. Some light grain and skunk in the aftertaste, but still decently balanced for a light lager. Active streaming carbonation gives this light bodied brew a crisp, refreshing mouthfeel. Finishes clean and drinks easy if you don't mind the light-struck flavor. Good choice if you want a low-carb beer with some character; otherwise just an overpriced imported macro.

07-10-2005 03:28:00 | More by PBRstreetgang
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A good light lager, and that is saying a lot. It looks golden clear and highly carbonated, like a typical lager. Actually retains a white loosely knit head and laced a bit on the glass. Smelled lightly malty and cereal-like. Slight souring and grainy. Tasted also slightly malty and cereal-like. Exhibited some flavors of butter-popcorn, vegitive, and corn sugar. Body was light and clean. Finish was crisp and clear. No true flavors pronounced themselves, but this beer is good at washing down pizza and nachos.

07-07-2005 02:33:37 | More by BEERchitect
riversider76

1.68/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer has a lot of flavor for a light. Too bad its not a good flavor! Nothing impressive at all here. I'm not sure what they are putting in this beer but its not worth the 7.99 they are charging for a six pack. I would recommend Pabst Blue Ribbion over this any day!

07-05-2005 17:15:13 | More by riversider76
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

1.3/5  rDev -46.3%

If you have ever wondered what liquified styrofoam injected into Budmillercoorslite would taste like, then you should try an Amstel Light.

This is an absolutely repulsive beer. It looks & smells like your average Bud/Miller/Coors clone, but the taste! Dear lord! At first it tastes like the aforementioned macro-filth, but then it hits you - a noxious cardboard-box-complete-with-packing-materials flavor. It blows my mind as to how the brewers of this beer could possibly find it acceptable.

I mean, at least you can swallow other light beers without really tasting anything - just like water down the throat - and then forget about them, but Amstel Light makes sure to rip a blazing trench through your tastebuds, assuring you that you wont forget it's abhorrent "taste" any time soon.

06-27-2005 21:19:54 | More by chOAKbarrell
BrewMaven

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Another recent BBQ beer..No, I didn't buy it. Anyway, It would have been inconvenient to go in the house to get a glass for this so off came the cap and I take a slug....I don't know if it was skunked or not but it had the sharp taste I remember beer having when I was a kid and dad gave me a sip of the beer he'd have once every blue moon.

Looked pale and basic. Thin and watery with lots of bubbles.

I really can't call this anything better than just something to drink when you invite non B.A.'s over and they decide to "bring beer".

Also not really bad as an after mowing the grass beer to cool off. At least you won't get too buzzed from it.

06-10-2005 21:06:03 | More by BrewMaven
Frozensoul327

The true epitome of mediocracy. What a waste. If I wanted water, I would've bought water. Poured out to a nearly pathetic yellow clear color, with little head, no lace, and rather low carbonation. Scent? I think I smelled corn and hops, but it was so damn light it could've been a dog fart. Flavor was very weak, notes of corn and malt. Finished blandly, no aftertaste or anything. This beer is like a 90 Lb. Halfback. It's just not gonna cut it. Needs more flavor, much more flavor. Could be reviewed lower, but I was not repulsed by this brew (maybe only the inflated price). Not recommended.

06-01-2005 23:33:16 | More by Frozensoul327
whynot44

Missouri

2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

Light bodied, very pale straw color with a small white head that disappears quickly, leaving no real lace.

Aroma is mostly herbal hops, not too bad.

Taste is very light sweet malt and hops with a touch of soap, watery and thin.

Drinkable, but not inspiring.

05-29-2005 07:05:55 | More by whynot44
rousee

3.35/5  rDev +38.4%

Another one that I can enjoy that most BAs hate. I like Amstel mostly for its low abv. Its better than bud anyway. Pours a very golden macro-like yellow. Smell is a little skunky/grassy but it doesnt linger too much. Taste is very thin and watery malt but reasonably clean and fresh tasting. I call this stuff "bird beer" because it wouldnt get a bird drunk. Its still ok in my opinion.

05-12-2005 02:06:21 | More by rousee
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.