Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev +23.1%

Right out of the bottle this beer seemed light...since it is. Fortunately not skunked. Smell of grains, some malt, some grass and something else.
A light taste of malt, pear and a bit of hops. The lightness fits the beer, refreshing on a summer day, but not very flavorful.
Finishes dry and empty.

3.03/5  rDev +25.2%

This beer poured one of the ugliest colors I’ve ever seen in a beer. It’s a straw yellow that has some sort of brown, or mossy green tint to it. Made me think of mold.

Smelled lager-like with a soft and sweet nutty malt.

Tasted of big grainy barley, a honey sweetness and a smooth pasty nut. There was also a dry floral and citrus hop.

The mouth feel was thick for a light beer with a little too much carbonation.

3.1/5  rDev +28.1%

A beer from the netherrlands; i´m happy for the heineken group thet introduce this beer in my country this year, i waiting for the 1870, meanwhile in the first the taste is like a kolsch, very pretty yellow color, hops, and rice are present in its smell, little lacing, mouthfeel like a genuine holland bier, but is still present the kolsch taste; good for mexican and snacks, drink from a bottle, 79% recommended.

2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearence-A yellow color. Little head that does not last.

Smell-Not much and not certain that I can describe it.

Taste-A little watery and somewhat thin taste.Out of fairness to the beer, the taste does fit the style

Mouthfeel-Not much.

Drinkability-I am not a fan of light beers but I would take this over a Coors light. I had a half Amstel Light last night (poet?) from my wifes glass and did not hate it. Its just not for me.

3.18/5  rDev +31.4%

Review by the style... review by the style... review by the style...

Disclaimer: I'm not into light beers, but I have in mind that we have to review according to the style.

Pours a straw yellow, white and short lived head. No lacing at all.

Smell is faint, some malts, though; maybe even hops.

Taste is, well, light. Refreshing and crisp, just as a Lager is supposed to be. I tasted some corn, maybe.

Mouthfeel is fuzzy, and aftertaste is mildly dry.

Drinkability is good, since this light beer isn't as light as I thought. Perhaps good enough for a barbecue in a hot Mexican Summer afternoon.

¡Salud!

3.8/5  rDev +57%

Believe it or not the comercials you see about this stuff aren't lying. To date, Amstel Light (all 95 calories per 12 oz serving worth), is the best most beerlike light beer I have had. I include cheater Sam Adams Light (they stretch the definition of "light" with like 125 calories vs I think 150 for a regular bottle of Boston Lager) in that statement. Appearance is kind of odd because on the one hand it has a nice deep brown color, but on the other it is obviously a little watery looking, the result being that dark brown color is nearly transparent. It does manage to maintain a surprisingly stable head for a light beer. Smell is pleasant, you know hoppy, a bit of malt, a bit of yeast, basically what a normal beer is supposed to smell like. Taste is quite good. Some sweet malt, balanced presence of hops that are of decent quality, if not too exciting. A little yeast is in there too, and obviously this is a very clean tasting beer. Mouthfeel IS a bit on the watery side, but not to the point where you actually think you are drinking water whenever you take a sip without looking right at the glass. Drinkability is excellent since not only does this beer taste pretty good, but it obviously does not weight you down, plus you're packing on fewer calories and not getting as drunk either. Is this going to fool you into thinking you just drank an oatmeal stout, an extra bitter, or a dopplebock? Of course not. It is still a bit on the watery side in fact. But it does a better job of hiding the fact that its a light beer than any other I've tried yet. And that slighty watery liquid at least has some real beer flavor present, if not as much richness as even I would like. Take it from me, you are not likely to find a better light beer in a regular bar. In fact, I could definately see ordering this over some regular beers that don't even make me wretch when I think about drinking them (MGD, Beck's, Rolling Rock, and Corona for example)

2.9/5  rDev +19.8%

poured a pale yellow color with large white puffy head. Smell is very minimal, so as to almost nothing. Taste follows through, being very light with not much taste to be found. Finished cold and refreshing with no lingering aftertaste. Advertising is the biggest thing about this beer, With the low alcohol content, a nice expensive spacer.

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Aroma is like a Corona Light without the urine element. Color is an attractive champaign yellow with good yet somewhat diminishing head. I am having trouble even distinguishing the hops in this beer, as it is bland and simple. However, the taste is crisp (although weak) and the mouthfeel is smooth.

I am glad I tried this beer due to my Dutch heritage but it doesn't have unique traits from my perspective. I would drink it in place of most American macro lagers but wouldn't pay for it.

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

This bottle is another in a series of attempts by this brewer to antagonize it's core constituents, following the reworking of the label for Heineken Lager. A clear label, some form of plastic, rather than paper, is tightly and firmly affixed, leaving the loyal drinkers frustrated in their normal routine of tearing of the labels and affixing them, still wet to bartops and tables. Or folding them, tearing at them, any number of inane time-wasting activities that cause consternation to the pitiful bar worker who has to bend down to pick them up, or scrape them off the bar surface.

This loss of a common, long held tradition cause the drinker to feel an emptiness inside his very soul, and crushes his spirit.

Something like how I feel when I drink the beer.

Yes, about the contents...

Clear, faded yellow, wiuth a large, puffy white head that dies down in the wink of an eye. Fierce carbonation, bubbles rises up to the now naked surface.

Aroma isn't "skunky", but comes close to it. Mainly bare, with inoffensive vegetal sweetness.

Taste: not much to speak of, but, nothing to disturb one in any way. Wet and clean. Lightness in the body, and shortness in the finish. Slightly grainy texture, gives just the smallest premise of flavor. Carbonation continues running high, with a brisk refreshing burst every time you put it to the lips, with sprinkle of hops just barely tasted.

I admit, it's not bad for a light beer, but I don't much see the point. Alcohol + water, with a great void of taste.

Oh, well...

2.13/5  rDev -12%

This pours a straw color with a small head.The smell is almost nonexistent,with a very slight hop and cooked vegatable scent.The taste is light and weak.This is watery with a slight hoppish flavor.The m/f is also light,watery,and weak.I can't imagine ever trying this again.

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

I remember when this was actually a fairly well respected choice among beer pseudointellectuals. Not so much anymore. I blame those stupid Dennis Miller radio commercials rather than the beer itself but let's see.
The color is a predictable light gold with lots of visible carbonation and no head at all and a bit of lacing. The smell is very, very faint, almost nonexistant..maybe a little grain.
The taste is likewise not real strong but is pleasant in a wispy, watery kind of way. Maybe a little too much carbonation but not enough to really upset even someone who obsesses over bubbles like me. This is not a tasty, enjoyable beer but it is drinkable and good at the bar when the girls are staring at the gut. Not a real beer drinker's beer but does serve its purpose in a far less nauseating way than most of its American light counterparts. Knows its role and plays it.

1.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Hunstville, AL.

Pours a light yellow body with a thick, foamy white head. Other than the color, this beer looks almost perfect, nifty and inviting.

At first all I got from the nose was this vaguely skunked, grassy, pilsener-like quality. After the head settled and I put my nose a little deeper into it, I got a touch of an almost Belgian-like yeast funkiness. And of course the requisite corn and utter absence of hops.

Taste... it's like getting kicked in the face. The funkiness hits hard on the palate, puckering the lips and making the beer even harder to swallow. Very dry, astringent quality to the aftertaste. Cloying and nasty.

Weak and watery mouthfeel.

I can't even stand this stuff long enough to drink the single. Drain-pour.

3.45/5  rDev +42.6%

Here the bit. It’s a tasty brew with out a doubt, but….its got the same color as the domestics, the same mouth feel as the domestics, and not much of a head. To be honest the smell leaves a little to be desired, however that being said. Its got pretty good taste, and that my friend is worth overlooking the scent it leaves on my upper lip. Not sure its worth the 8 bucks a sixer though. Stick to the pub on this one to decide if its for you.

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

I feel the same about this stuff as I do corona light-sure, it may be sissy beer, or whatever disparaging name you want to call it, but for me, it has its place. I dont always want a heavily flavored, thicker beer. Sometimes something light and crisp does the trick. If that's what I feel like I go for one of these.

a-nothing super special. Bottle has a bit of a refined appearance in comparison to similar domestic brews, what with its gold seals and fancy non-NASCAR-ish decor. Well worth the extra 2 clams at the bah, right?

s-this stuff smells kinda shitty. nothing great here, usual light beer smell.

t-light, crisp, refreshing. I love drinking this stuff with pizza. Washes the pie right down. ooo yeah.

M-much like sparking water. Very light, even taste. No heavy flavor of any kind. I don't know if I'd say balanced, since there is not much to balance here, but I like it. If you want something light with a bit of flavor, here you go.

D-another all nighter candidate. This stuff goes down like water if you have a stomach for light beers. I do, and so it does. Call me a wimp, I won't deny it.

1.75/5  rDev -27.7%

The guy who runs the local macro joint gave me a six of this as thanks for buying a lot of beast for a party... free beer :)

Pours with a sizable head full of ugly large bubbles that drops fast, although it leaves a good layer on top of the beer. Color is yellow with a hint of green or brown. This is one of the clearest beers I've ever seen (not in terms of color, but opaqueness).

As soon as I opened the bottle the nasty smell hit me. Smells strongly of skunky lager... eww. This bottle was definitely in the light at his store, and sat out in my room for a bit. The nose is stinky rice, maybe other adjunct grains, and a hint of hops.

Tastes first of sourness, then reveals rice and corn graininess. Faint, faint hops on the finish. Yup, sour grains... that's about all I'm getting. No aftertaste really.

Mouthfeel is really weak. Undercarbonated for a light lager, needs a little boost to compensate for the pure water of the texture. The watery feel probably correlates with how clear this beer is.

I don't know what the pricing on this is like, but I imagine it's more expensive than macro light lagers. I'd take Miller Lite over this anyday. Maybe it wouldn't be skunky under other circumstances, but I feel that enough of these taste this way that I'm not rating an "off" sample. Even rated within the style this still has problems. Even though it's watery and low-alcohol, I couldn't drink many more due to the sourness.

1.38/5  rDev -43%

Labeled as "The beer drinker's light beer". We'll see I suppose, haven't had it before, but I think I know what to expect.

A - Pours a fizzy, thin straw color, a typical macro lager big head that dissapears instantly, an effervecent beer.

S - I smell the corn and alcohol, kind of skunked too.

T - I honestly taste nothing, absolutley nothing. This is the "lightest" beer I've ever had. Far more tasteless than even something like rolling rock or michelob ultra.

M - Goes down like water, because frankly, it is. I get the slightest touch of carbonation, thats it.

D - Well, I suppose this category isn't terrible, because you could drink a TON of these and not get drunk or full, and at sub 4% ABV, they go down real fast.

3.73/5  rDev +54.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to love this stuff... well, love is a strong word but I used to drink a lot of it. I was young and didnt know any better.
For a light beer, this is pretty good.
One downside, something I never noticed (or managed to pay attention to) when I was drinking this regularly is a soapy thing going on in the finish of the mouthfeel/flavor.
Light and watery all around but you can't expect too much for a light beer.
It's very easy to suck these down because of watery and generally inoffensive characteristics.
This has a bit more character than many other light beers out there.
Nothing worth dreaming about here, but a viable option depending upon your options.

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Comes out of the bottle just fine ... CO2 gives a soft, medium head.
Oddly, the head condenses to 3-4 little foam islands.

A slightly skunky euro pils aroma I did not expect from a brown bottle.
(This might be a plus 'cuz there is no other smell).

Initially, like the aroma, there is some character- then, alas, watery thinness.

The finish is soo vacuous you can hear it sucking!

If you don't mind the negatives I've mentioned, you could drink a dozen of these- but why?

They also get my dubious award for the most illiegible production code- some raised white dots on a red background that appear to make no consumer sense whatsoever.

3.25/5  rDev +34.3%

A: Lightly golden. Decent head retention and lacing.
S: Low aroma...low hoppiness.
T: Not bad....better than most American light beers for sure. More towards hops than malt.
M: Very light...but you can actually taste it. OK here.
D: Good. Could throw many of these back. Problem is...low alcohol content. I mean..well..let's keep it over 4% folks. But hey.... did the best they could I guess.

Overall: I liked this beer as far as a light beer goes. Better effort that American Macrobrews I think.

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow strawish color with a little bit of white head and very minimal lacing. Smells lightly lemony and grainy. Nothing special. Tastes grainy and there's a bit of bitter hops in there, as well as a hint of lemon. More than your average light beer. Mouthfeel is watery and slightly soapy feeling. Fairly drinkable, a good thirst-quencher in the summer time.

Overall, a decent light beer- not the greatest tasting thing ever, but it has its purpose, and I'd rather have this than Coors.

3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

This is my "work in the yard all day" beer. I disagree with most reviewers: this is a good beer to have when you're having more than one...a lot more than one. It is not the best brew I have ever had, but far from the worst. I was never a lite beer fan until this one came around. Coor's light had been my preferred "beach beer", when all you want is something cold and wet, but not sweet, and water is just a little too, well, watery. So until a better lite beer comes around, I'll always have a case in the fridge.

3.85/5  rDev +59.1%

After pour, there was a good head on it, which remained for most of the duration. Good amount of bubbles. A very light golden color, almost too light. Smell was pretty good, malt and wheat are present (also present in taste). A traditional lager flavor. The flavor does not tend to linger on the tongue for very long, though. Very crisp and light. Best served on a hot summer day in a Pilsner glass - very refreshing.

For a light beer, this one is very tastey!

1.15/5  rDev -52.5%

Looks almost clear with a slight yellow tint and no head at all.

Smells like a skunk, even with the brown bottle. At least it had some sort of aroma.

Taste is awful. Watered down hops with a strangely stinging mouthfeel. This was not good at all.

At 3.5%, if low alcohol is your aim get a bitter. I will never ever touch this again. Guess the comercials are right by saying the "Lite beer drinkers lite beer." I guess I'm not a lite beer drinker.

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%

Why do breweries bother with light beer? I know, for the executive on the go who doesn’t want to feel filled up. Have a club soda instead! Appearance of this Light beer is almost clear water with a drop of yellow, not much foam and no lace. Aroma is that of the usual brussel sprouts and eau de skunk. Initial taste consists of watery malt, some grain, metallic alum in the middle, and a hint of some hops that strayed here accidentally. Way too expensive for the bitter aftertaste it leaves behind.

3.08/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours pale straw with a foamy two finger head and decent retention. Noteworthy patchwork of lace. Pilsener malt and euro-hop nose. Husky grain flavor with a solid pilsener malt backbone. Some light grain and skunk in the aftertaste, but still decently balanced for a light lager. Active streaming carbonation gives this light bodied brew a crisp, refreshing mouthfeel. Finishes clean and drinks easy if you don't mind the light-struck flavor. Good choice if you want a low-carb beer with some character; otherwise just an overpriced imported macro.

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.