Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
1.41/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow water like color. A head of just forced almost fake like carbonation which is amazingly off putting.

Sweet grain cereal, a touch and I mean a touch of perhaps bananas and cloves? This has the subtle aromas of a hef but extremely subtle. I’m actually rather ok with this aroma. High hopes going from here. That said I may just be looking for aromas when they aren't there.

Well so much for that. There’s virtually nothing to even speak of in this beer’s flavors. It is bland just hints of grain and water.

Weird over carbonated….well it is a light lager I suppose.

This beer is terrible. I’m not sure what a light lager can do to make itself good, but this beer made no effort.

2.3/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a bottle right to my mouth...

A: I did not pour this in a glass. I was at a social function and this was offered. The bottle is average. I felt because I was drinking an Amstel Light, I was drinking the higher end light beer and that my host had great beer taste. I was wrong.

S: Skunky. I literally smelled the carbonation. Lacked a pleasurable scent

T: There was a lack of taste. Very weak bitterness, texture, and all round flavor.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation overload. I did not care for this. Watery tongue feel. Many traits of a cheap beer here.

Overall: I hate to rip on this beer. It is pricey and I know that the host of this party meant well. I can see why light beer drinkers like this beer. It is not the worst. I've certainly had better light beers. Note: I rarely drink light beers. When I have one, it is due to situations like this where it was all that was offered.

To sum it up. Not the best but better than a handful.

When you want a light lager (yes, those times do happen), Amstel is an excellent choice. A nicely colored light lager, it goes down like most every other light lager, with little no aftertaste. If you are looking for a light lager, this is probably one of your best options.

I think this beer gets a bad rap because of the pricing. I am assuming it is because it is not a domestic, so it is usually priced in the region of far better craft European or domestic beers.

A quality beer....as long as someone else pays for it. If your paying and want a light beer, just go American and buy twice as much beer for the same price.

2.18/5  rDev -9.9%

All I can say is this is somewhat popular because its an import.
Over-priced swill - just as soon purchase a domestic.

Pours clear golden with little to no head or lace.
Smells somewhat grainy.
Taste is a bitter tastelessness, nothing terrible but not good either
Mouthfeel is what I consider the low point, very watery.

Overall, not worth purchasing at its price. Save your hard earned $$'s.

1.5/5  rDev -38%

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.