Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, faint sweetness to a standard European lager. In the taste, dry malt and a small bite, but thin and not much going on. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry standard lager kind of aftertaste. Nothing too exciting here, I guess that is why I don't golf!

OWSLEY069, Jan 14, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Had last night while out with the wife and some friends.

A- I had this in the bottle with no glass. Why is that? Well I asked for a glass and none came my way and I wanted some so...oh well. Average is what I'll give it because I've seen it many times over in other people's glasses.

S- Skunked and more skunked. Light sweet grain bill to this with some hop presence (earthy) this gets all covered up with a skunked Euro Lager style nose. It made me kind of not want to try it to be honest. But I did of course!

T- Some sweet upfront to the beer with light grainy flavors. This gets put in background with a light mild bitter hop flavor. Although, this even get s covered up with a ton of musty skunky flavor. I meant this takes over the palate along with a light hop bite. It's not bad but I know it shouldn't be there.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was high but good for the beer. Light skunked flavor left on the palate and long into the aftertaste with a hint of hops and alcohol. Flavors were off balanced due to the skunked flavor. Not clean although overall it had a crisp hint to it. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was average in the drinkability. It wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Is it a great beer? Nope. Does it do it's job? For the most part. I would rather drink this than most offerings from BMC.

alleykatking, Jan 01, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +2.5%

A- pale yellow, with tint of gold, trace head on top

S- sweet corn and hint of malt.

T- light corn, grain taste with mild bitter finish.

M- dry, light body, big carbonation.

D- This is a very weak light beer, but isn't that the point. Honestly, if you want a light beer there are better, cheaper ones at your local store. Highly sessionable only because it is so watery and will not fill you up or make you drunk.

BeerLover99, Jan 01, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

126th review on BA
Bottle to pint

App- Straw yellow with a 1/2" head. Very little bubble activity. No lacing either.

Smell- Has that euro lager smell, just less skunky. More subtle. 1st Amstel in about 5 years.

Taste- A general pale lager with more of a wheaty taste. Very not mellow. Not overtly offensive. A good intro beer some would say.

Mouth- Thin but crisp and not too watery.

Drink- On a hot day in So. Cal 5 years ago probably a sixer while mowing the lawn. Today just 1. All I can do.

FosterJM, Dec 21, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -9.1%

A friend left a few of these at my place last night... might as well give it a proper honest review.

First off... only 3.5% abv? That's awful weak, I didn't expect anything higher than 5%, but am surprised it's that low.

It pours (into a pint glass) a clear golden color with a bubbly white head. It dissipates extremely fast and no lacing at all.

The smell is muted, but there is some straw present, a little bread notes.

The taste is more of the same... nothing offensive, but there's just not much there. Earthy notes, but nothing bold, straw flavors on the aftertaste. Not sure if it was hopped at all, but I'm not picking up any.

Very thin and watery, to be expected from a light lager... nothing to really enjoy here, other than a cold flavorless beer. It's easy to drink, but I wouldn't want to drink another one. Certainly not on my dime.

theboozecruise, Dec 18, 2010
1.23/5  rDev -49.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass, got a bottle in a holiday beer exchange

A- Very pale clear gold color with a white head that fades quickly.

S- Watered down sweet malts and corn.

T- Watery, light sweet malts and grains, a little bitter in the end, but not a good hoppy bitter, more like a skunked bitter.

M- Crisp, very light, and watery.

D- Drinkable like flavored water is drinkable. I guess if you wanted to chug watery beer this will work, but you want to drink a beer for the flavor this is not worth having.

larryi86, Dec 12, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Pale clear yellow straw color with thin white head, little retention, and no lacing.

S- Faint and weak grains and hops. Skunky and musty.

T- Musty water with a bitter skunk finish. Boring.

M- Light, watery and thin.

D- Easy as water until you get the terrible bitter skunk aftertaste.

JayS2629, Dec 12, 2010
2.42/5  rDev 0%

Appearance- Yellow and clear with very light thin head, moderate carbonation to be seen

Smell- very light to little smell of grain hop and malt

Taste- Very little flavor up front, followed by slight bitter finish, overall not the craziest most complex, very simple but kinda non offensive flavor, kinda bland and boring

Mouthfeel- very light not much going almost like water just very thin

Drinkability- it is easy drinking but just not super complex its nothing i would probably ever by again just such a boring beer its nothing id search out again, its better then alot macros from USA but still nothing incredible at all,

Stunner97, Dec 10, 2010
1.1/5  rDev -54.5%

First had: ?

A: Clear, pale gold color. Quickly dissipating head.

S: Rotten and skunky.

T: Grainy, dilluted, watery, with an unpleasant aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with some carbonation.

D: Goes down easy, but the taste and aftertaste ruin any possibility of good quality drinkability.

Rifugium, Dec 10, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +45.9%

I struggle to comprehend why this is called a light beer as it shares absolutely nothing in common with any other light beer I have crossed or tasted. Nevertheless, if this is "really" a light beer, then what do we call other light beers? Very light beers?
I was surprised of the flavor profile this brew offered; heady, doughy, singing of clear malts,and ultimately very refreshing. Judging this beer within it's rightful category,as a "light beer" it's a blockbuster by comparison. Don't let the "light" connotation dissuade you from trying it.

barknee, Dec 05, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from glass into a pint glass.

A - Poured clear pale golden color with medium head that dissipated very quickly leaving almost no lacing.

S - Hint of grains and skunkiness but other than that nothing more can be detected.

T - Watered down grains with slightly bitter finish.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Easily consumed light beer but definitely not enjoyable. Would not recommend to anyone.

taigor, Nov 04, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -26.4%

Clear golden color with a white head with fair retention. The aroma has grain and some earthiness, with a little bit of sweetness. Not impressive.

This beer taste like it smells. Not much going on here. Some grain, a small amount of sweetness, and some earth just don't cut it.

Light bodied. high carbonation, and not too interesting. This is not something I will seek out again.

hardy008, Oct 29, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -51.2%

Poured this very light colored lager into my glass and it produced a broken bubble head of one finger which vanished in seconds. Mild lacing but no real body or cling to that. The color is a 3 on the SRM chart. Smell is weak corn, more like the stalks, wheat chaff, and malt. Taste is harsh, sour bread, the rest I can't really identify, just not good. A little buzz on my tongue, but leaves the back of my throat sort of sticky and dry. Not at all worth the price. Glad I don't have any more of this to drink.

beerprovedwright, Oct 26, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz bottle

A pale macro yellow with a fizzy white head and some streaky lacing.

Grain and straw in the nose, along with a familiar "imported beer" funkyness.

Toasted grain and wheat tendencies quickly disintegrate into metallic barley flavors. Swirls with mealy tastes before finishing fairly clean.

Lighter body, watery, quick, clean drinking, but definitely not pleasurable. It's not horrible for light beer, but if you consider the price, buying this is pretty much ludicrous.

xnicknj, Oct 25, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Another Quizzo beer entry. It ours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose comprises soap, flowers, and corn syrup. Normally, these macro-ish types don't smell so goofy, but, frankly, as they smell bad, it's hard to really say this is entirely unusual. The taste follows closely, though some funky wheat slithers its way in there as well. Coulda done without that. The body is light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a sad beer, one I would definitely never call a damn good beer (even with spelling errors intact).

TMoney2591, Oct 21, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -5%

I used to drink this a lot before I discovered Heineken light, before I knew what good beer was.

A- Pale golden in color.

S- Grains, a little skunk.

T- Not much going on, slight metallic, watery grains with mild bitterness.

M- Very carbonated and thin.

D- Because the taste isn't much, I guess its another easy pounder, but not something I enjoy anymore.

Derranged, Oct 19, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Quite clear with visible carbonation. Smells mostly of grain. Taste brings grain and some husks along with the faintest hint of hops. Mouthfeel is light with loads of carbonation. Overly carbonated without much flavor, not too drinkable.

Thorpe429, Oct 07, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Smell is almost non-existant. What is present seems to be a bit of an adjunct aroma. But it's very faint.

The taste....well, it's one of the most watery and flavor devoid beers I've ever had. There is no crispness up front, nor are there any hops I can detect at all. The body is of a somewhat watery cereal grain taste....which leads into a finish with more cereal sweetness mixed with a bit of grassiness and hay. It certainly isn't much.

Is it drinkable?? Sure. But, with all the decent beers out there, I'm not sure why I should seek this one out.

NODAK, Sep 30, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -2.9%

I wanted to try one of the more common beers and review for comparison.

A - Very light golden color. Generates a good amount of foam.

S - Kinda bland. What I did smell was a bit of skunkiness and a little of the grain.

T - This is why I don't prefer the light beers. It seems muted and watered down. There is very little taste to it.

M - Nothing major, but it did feel heavier than most light beers I recall.

D - I didn't find this all that drinkable. After I had the one I wasn't looking foward to the taste of another. There are bettewr light beers if that is your preference.

socon67, Sep 23, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -12%

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

and here we go with the winners of the night. i have ha this one more times then i can count and it just never gets any better. the classic light golden almost water colored pour with a small fizzy head and lots of carbonation.

aroma is light grains, muted hay, just a watery almost none existent taste and smell, really just not at all what you are looking for in a good beer. clean and crisp, it really is just about like water from beginning to end.

overall not the worst tasting, just the least tasting i had this evening.

mikesgroove, Aug 23, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz into a pokal glass.

pours a pale, crystal clear yellow. gives me 2 fingers of coarse foamy head that dies down quick and leaves a few legs of lace.

smell is grainy with a hint of spice.

what little taste it has comes through as stale bread. no hop character at all, not even enough to taste balanced. the body on this is watery with way too much carbonation, which sort of gives it a spicy feel. goes way beyond prickly.

i suppose you could argue that this is super drinkable, but the mouthfeel really hurt this for me. also, with no flavor, why would anyone _want_ to drink this? even a cheap 40 of malt liquor is better than this.

divineaudio, Aug 23, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +39.7%

Despite the bad ratings, I kind of enjoy this beer. It is not overly carbonated, it does not have too strong of flavoring, and it is easy to find. It's not a preferable beer, but it surely has nothing wrong with it. Not watery at all. I think it deserves better than it has been given

VietPong, Aug 12, 2010
2.45/5  rDev +1.2%

I can smell this beer as soon as I open it but I always like to start with the pour. In the pint glass it pours a bright, golden, crystal clear yellow. The head is not impressive. Just a plain white that doesn't hang out very long. The nose is quite pungent with a lingering skunkiness. The taste is similar to the nose but with less skunkiness. It was replaced with some bitterness. I wouldn't say it's bad especially compared to some of the other ultras and lights available if you're watching calories. However, like my friend Travis says, "Watch what you eat, not what you drink."

claybeer, Aug 11, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -38.8%

this was my first taste of imported beer at a robust age of sixteen, I was stepping up in the world. I didn't like this gargage 14 years ago and I don't like it now. Its funky, skunky, way to bitter and almost impossible to drink. The bottle does not help, this should be canned and served next to carlsberg.

jrallen34, Aug 10, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

I'm only reviewing this because my parents had some friends over a couple weeks ago and they left some beers behind in my aging fridge that I leave at their house, because they don't drink. This beer poured watery and had a billowing white head that took about two minutes to fade before lacing the glass. It is the palest of yellow, actually kind of looks urine. It isn't skunked but smells as if it is. Horrible smell. The taste is weak and somewhat metallic. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I've ever had. The mouthfeel is watery and ultra light, pretty flat really. This beer is awful. I don't even know why they make beers that're 3.5%, it's only for show.

aasher, Aug 09, 2010
Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.