Amstel Light - Amstel Brouwerij B. V.

Amstel LightAmstel Light

awful

awful

Amstel Brouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amstel Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 476 | Hads: 1,401
2.63/5  rDev +8.7%

After reading a forum post about the “Best Light Beers”, I realized It had been a very long time since I had sampled an “Amstel Light”, over two years.

The beer pours archetypal lager color a translucent gold, the head impressive in size, brilliantly white in color, the texture creamy and the lace a nice fine clinging sheet to conceal the glass. Nose as expected, all malt, crisp, clean and lightly sweet as it the start. Top is skeletal, the finish is perkily acidic, the hops sparse, but at least present, dry aftertaste, and a decent if altogether to “Light” for me beer, but not at all bad. (605 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a clear pale golden straw color with a foamy white head that quickly fades away. Nose is very similar to American macros. Taste is quite bland with a bit of corn and a faint hop bitterness. Finish is crisp. A pretty boring beer. It’s a lot like drinking a glass of tap water. (282 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is definately not anything to write home about. I am drinking a beer that has less than 100 calories per 12oz. serving. I do have expectations, but I'm not demanding anything exceptional . I just want a drinkable, light beer. This one doesn't conjure up too much from the taste department. It's kinda fitting the bill. Huh.

It actually poured fairly nice; a very pale yellow accompanied by a decent white, fluffy head. Good carbonation throughout. There are faint smells of fruity, skunky malt and there is a slightly dry, bitter finish, which isn't enough to substantiate a good finish. It's kinda "blah" on the ol' tongue. Nothing shocking. No grace. But, it functions on a small scale.

Personally, if I were to choose a light beer, I think I would go with Sam Adams Light. It seems to have more of an aroma and a better overall body...well, as much body as a light beer can have. But, I will drink the Amstel and enjoy it for what it is. Even if it isn't much. (979 characters)

This was drinkable with the dinner i was having at the time. (salmon) Looked a little darker than an average light beer. Not much character, but no bad quality that really stuck out. I would drink it again if i had to.

el_mocoso (231 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Said it before and i'll keep saying it until they stop these "light" versions of beers. Light golden color with completely NOTHING special to offer. I see the "light" versions as experiments gone wrong and I can't really see the reason why they are distributing them to the public...

Cheers (293 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +10.3%

heineken light. it pours to a light golden color with a limited head. smells bitter like a heineken.

the taste is lacking, but it is bitter with some malts to it. it really does not have too little flavor for a light beer, but you know how it goes. the carbonation is also not overpowering which i find pleasing. you can drink it easy. (339 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +26%

Clear. Straw gold in color with a bright white head that holds well for a light beer. The aroma is of an herbal, lightly earthy, hoppiness. The body is light with a median carbonation. The mouthfeel is fairly crisp. The flavor expresses the same herbal hoppiness as the aroma, well entwined with a light, grainy and dryish malt. It lingers dryly in the mouth with more malt and hops than bitterness. Not bad for a light beer. (425 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Let me put it this way, I had a free bottle at a reception and dumped it. If I dump out a beer that I didn't pay for, you know there is a problem. No redeeming qualities whatsoever (unless you count not being an A-B product). (225 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

On pouring, it is slightly darker than other light beers, but the head falls flat quickly. There are no percievable hops in the nose, only that bad-beer smell. It's way too carbonated, and the condition is only made worse because the beer is really thin and watery. Slight bitterness from hops in the finish along with something else that can only be described as a grain related taste. The only reason I'd get this is because Dennis Miller did some ads for them. Otherwise, I'll leave it for those who believe Import = good. (525 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -19%

Know how you can jam 6 skunks in a bottle...me either, but Amstel knows how. It smells really skunky. Pours a really clear golden hue with a 1 1/2 finger white head that dissipates rapidly. Fortunately the flavor isn't as skunky as I first thought from the smell, but there's at least 1/2 of a skunk in there. Maybe a tad of corn taste in it as well. Extremely watery mouthfeel, that might be okay on a severely hot day. It is drinkable, but say PBR is way way better and for the price, why bother with this stuff. I can't believe I did. (544 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +33.1%

For a "light beer" this is excellent because it tastes like real beer. By that I mean it has a noticable hop nose and thirst-quenching hop bitterness, and a faint but discernable malt character with no noticable adjunct taste. This is what a light beer should be. Light, easy drinking and actually taste like a beer. I also appreciate the brown botttle. It does help reduce the formation of skunky flavors and I can tell a difference in Amstel Light. (451 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +17.8%

Not the worst beer I have ever had. Decent color. No aroma nor real flavor, and definately not my favorite brew, but when I feel concious about my figure, this is the direction to go! (185 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +34.3%

Light golden hue and clear, topped by a head that persists better than a typical adjunct - laden macrobrew light. There's actually a hint of a noble hop nose, while a mellow and clean graininess in present in aroma as well. Lightly bodied, but not as thin as Budmillercoors light. The hop bitterness is above the norm for style, and adds to the drinkability of this brew. As expected for such a light beer, malt complexity is lacking, but the lack of offputting adjunct flavor contributions make this beer quite drinkable and clean for a light. The grist is probably all barley malt. Although light beer is my arch nemesis, the Dutch managed to eek in flavor in Amstel light. (678 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -30.2%

Eurotrash. This beer looked fine and inviting, pale copper color, thin white head, that vanished. Then the awful skunky smell, metallic, bitter, harsh taste. Just bitter taste watery, and acidic, then nothing on the finish. I may have had a bad can, but this beer is lousy and sadly overrated. I can't agree with the "beer drinkers light beer slogan". It will be hard for me to try anything else from Amstel, despite the favorable reviews. I can't believe people ask for this. (477 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +27.7%

Not bad for what it is, and better than most for style. Aroma is quite pleasant. It has flavor with a nice European quality, just not enough. All light beers are too heavily carbonated for my taste and this is not an exception. It's a light beer, and understanding that I'd rather drink this than most any other, certainly any U.S. made one that I have tasted. (364 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -5.8%

They advertise this as the beer drinkers light beer. I don't know what they are talking about. This beer starts promising, with a nice amber glow, and moderate head. It quickly falls short. The flavor is bland, and somewhat spritzy. I just doens' t have much flavor! (268 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -5%

I am not much into light beers. I found this beer to be better than Heineken, which I am not a fan of due in large part to the skunky smell. That smell isn't as prevelant in this beer which makes it easier to drink. Would still tend to look for a different light beer than this one, however. (294 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -26.9%

I was disappointed with this beer. I guess I bought in to the TV adds, so Amstel, you got my $9.99 for this 12/pk, but don’t look for any more. Skunky smell hits you before the beer ever reaches the mouth. Then the skunk smell carries over to the taste, and I swear if I didn’t pour it myself, I would have thought I was drinking an aged Schlitz. (361 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -38.8%

First thing you notice when you lean in for a sniff is that it's kind of skunky. If you can keep your nose close enough long enough, you start to notice a little maltiness and hops peek out of that skunk's ass. Then the skunk high-tails it into the flavor. After a few sips you get used to ol' Mr. Skunk and don't notice him as much and you realize that the commercials are right: it doesn't really taste as bland as most light beers. It's got some definite malt presence with some citrusy notes but it also has that unpleasantness (separate from the skunk) that Heinekin also has, but I can't place it exactly. Basically, I wish it was a light beer so it wouldn't be so damn hard to drink fast because it becomes near undrinkable when it starts to approach anything resembling warm. (783 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +22.7%

This is usually the best choice of wedding beer swill. I like it in relation to the AB's and Coors products. it is overpriced and has a slight skunk overtone. But for a light beer it does have flavor. And that is what is usually lacking in this style any flavor at all. This past weekend a friend brought a twelve for the sailboat cruise and I found it quite drinkable. I would not be a regular customer, but will buy it as the "non-beer snob" alternative for my parties at the shore.... My wife along with my friends without taste will drink it..... (558 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -25.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, no freshness date.

Appearance: Pale straw in colour with a minimal white lace.

Smell: The usual imported lager aroma plus a touch of skunk or DMS a.k.a. cooked veggies.

Taste: Light bodied with a thin malt palate. Crisp and grainy ... husk flavours also. A little astringent grain in the middle. Hops are evident with a slight bite of bitterness. After taste is clean and seems to be the best part of the brew all together.

Notes: Not much of a beer to hoot about, just an other "run of the mill" light lager. At around $20-24 a case ... you are better off buying a domestic light lager for around half the price. Great marketing and riding with the imported lager trend have made this less than decent brew a big seller in the US. (777 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of the better tasting light beers, but still nothing too spectacular. If you are going to be drinking cheap light beer, you might as well go buy a case of Nattie or Beast for a few bucks less. Also, it seems every other case has a few skunky brews in it. (258 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -9.9%

I’ve never understood the popularity of this beer. If you want a light beer, why bother with an import that is always partially skunked, and not very good in any event. I am mystified when I see a male drinking this beer. The only message you are sending is that you are vain, worried about your “shape,” and not real bright: my feeling is if you’ve got a tool, you damn well better build a shed over it. If you are worried about the calories, get a Guinness, and get a life. Brown bottle, bad euro/skunk taste and aroma. (549 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Well...a hair better then the other light's; Coor's and Bud.
the only reason I bought this was becuase I didn't have the bottle yet.
Golden in color, very light taste, not as watered down as Coor's for sure! If I was weighing close to 300lbs, I would choose this over the other light's that I have tried. (307 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +19%

A very average beer, but good as far as light beers go. Some light malt taste is there, albeit very light and there are some discernable hops on the finish. Very drinkable, but for the same amount of money, you can buy so much better. (236 characters)

Amstel Light from Amstel Brouwerij B. V.