1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Curmudgeon IPA - Grand River Brewing

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Cur·mud·geon (kər-ˈmə-jən)

1. A bad-tempered or surly person

2. An ill-tempered (and frequently old) person full of stubborn ideas or opinions.

The curmudgeon IPA is our ever changing seasonal hop muse. We change the recipe every year to whichever direction we feel we want to take our audience. The curmudgeon has been an American IPA, hybrid English/American IPA ranging from bitter to really bitter with light to dark toasty malts.

(Beer added by: Sammy on 02-22-2009)

evil_liver, May 24, 2014

nickfl, Apr 17, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Re-Review after picking up another bottle from LCBO the other day. Poured into a pint glass just out of the fridge.

Appearance - Nice dark orange / brown color with 1.5 fingers of head that subsides a bit then sticks around for half the pint. Some lacing left on the glass as well. Very clear beer as well, can still see details on my hand as it is wrapped around the glass and I look through the glass to the other side.

Smell - Mild hops and a faint sweetness was all I was picking up. Was about to write off the smell as pretty mediocre when took one more whiff and identified the sweetness as caramel and some bready malts in there as well that for whatever reason reminded me of bready Belgian beers. As such it was an interesting nose.

Taste - Fairly bitter, grapefruit and pine resin are most detectable here. Pretty standard of many of the IPA's and I was just a bit disappointed that I didn't taste anything in terms of breadiness that I faintly picked up on the nose. Nonetheless tasty.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, rich feel, tingly sensation in the mouth. Is a filling beer (to my stomach) but remains light enough and thin enough that you wouldn't have to twist my arm to quaff a couple more.

Overall - Really glad I retried this, since It was better than i had remembered and fairly complex for what it is as well as a good beer at its price point.

DenisKolkin, Oct 22, 2013

kinguy, Nov 03, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +23%

Molson2000, Sep 10, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; bottled on May 30 2012. Never had this one before, but my expectations are fairly high. One of my favourite styles meets one of my favourite Ontario craft brewers.

Pours a beautiful reddish-copper colour, quite deep in hue and with perfect clarity. Topped with a little more than one finger of creamy, light-tan coloured head with unremarkable retention. The sides of the glass are coated in lacing by the time it dies down, though, so overall this is one great looking brew. Nice aroma, but nothing spectacular - biscuity malts and caramel are fairly prominent, with some earthy hop undertones. A few notes of orchard fruit that remind me of a regular English pale ale.

Excellent flavour that changes throughout the sip. Malty flavours take over the palate at first - lightly toasted buttered biscuits, caramel sweetness, with a hint of strawberry or passionfruit. These are countered later in the sip by floral, earthy, grapefruit-citrus rind notes from the hops. Bittersweet finish, with lingering dryness. Medium-bodied, with subdued carbonation. Heavenly mouthfeel, and extremely drinkable for a bitter brew at 6.5%, but probably not something I'd want to drink more than one or two of in a night.

Final Grade: 4.13, a satisfying A-. All in all, Curmudgeon IPA is a remarkably well-balanced brew, and at least to me, a new gold standard for the English IPA style. There is some solid hop bitterness to this brew, but the strong malt profile means that this can potentially satisfy both hopheads and haters alike. I myself am more of an American IPA guy, but this is every bit as enjoyable for different reasons. What's not to like?

I would happily recommend this to someone looking for a good English IPA, and will certainly get it again some time. Well worth the price - once again proving to me that you just can't go wrong with Grand River. Cheers, and great work!

thehyperduck, Jun 21, 2012

mspang, Jun 18, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not a lot on the nose. Some sweet caramel, molasses,and a bit herbal. Beautiful clear copper color with a white frothy head which dissipates rather quickly but leaves spiderweb-like lacing. Sweet malty body is balanced perfectly by a rather generous amount of bitter hops. This one builds as the beer goes on. Beautiful English style IPA from one of Ontario’s best brewery’s

caporegimo, May 17, 2012

traumaqueen, May 15, 2012

MattPS, May 14, 2012

Wordslinger, May 06, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle received from a trade with Liam. Cheers BAmate!

Bottled on march 2, 2012. Drank on April 10, 2012.

Color is copper, very dark copper. No head, maybe due to my inability of pouring beer adequately! :) The aroma is very strong on the malts, lots of caramel malts, I get some small touch of burnt sugar too. Some hazelnuts. Nice. Very strong malty aroma.

The taste is again very caramel malts with a finish that has some bites. Maybe a little bit spicy. This is true English Style IPA if you ask me. Very nice and so easy to drink and refreshing. As it warms up, I notice that there is some woody notes in there. Nice again.

I really like this one. A very good IPA in the English Style... you don't find this quite often in those days of American IPA domination!

Seek this one.

ZorPrime, Apr 14, 2012

beerhunter13, Apr 09, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled March 17, 2012. Drank April 6, 2012.

A: A deep copper with reddish tones. Clear, with a thick, firm off-white head which doesn't show any signs of dissipating. Almost like the kind of head you get on a Guinness or Killkeny type of beer. It might be faulted for being a little too dark (almost like an ESB) for the style, but not by me.

S: Some toasty malts. A little dry earthy-ness from the hops. A little light floral, somewhat creamy smelling, like a strawberry ice-cream.

Flavour: Assertive hop bitterness. Very assertive! One of the finest bitters I've had in a while, actually. It's sharp, acidic (like a grapefruit in bitterness and acidy) and wraps around your tongue. The opening, however, is mild and pleasant. There are toffee, caramel, and bread notes. With the floral from the hops the malt sweetness is almost like strawberry. It finishes dry. The bitterness lingers in a really perfect way.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. The creamy head appearance does not betray the mouthfeel. It's creamy like it's from a nitro can but it was just a normal bottle. A medium body with a fairly light carbonation. A little alcohol warming which works with the lingering bitter.

Overall: An extremely well executed beer. It's earthy with a rich malt body, a killer bitter, and a creamy mouthfeel and head. One of the best English IPA's I've ever had. This would be absolutely awesome on cask somewhere. It would pair well with good pub food like (a good) fish and chips or meat pies. The bitter and the alcohol warming are strong enough to cut through heavy, greasy, rich foods. It's also perfect for on its own.

I understand that I have rated this beer high above the average. To my understanding of this style they have nailed it pretty hard. As much love as I have for the American style IPAs, this makes me want more English ones - especially more of this one.

Groulxsome, Apr 07, 2012

WeissBoy, Apr 06, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottled March 17th, 2012

A- Burnt copper with red highlights. Two finger soapy off white head with excellent lacing.

S- Sweet malts, nice biscuit and earthy floral hops. Slight grass and citrus rind.

T- Sweet malt, bittering hops (pine and floral) touch of strawberry and a long lingering bitter finish.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation.

O- This one really grows on me. I was never a English IPA fan (always a West Coast American IPA) but this is my favorite out off all I've tried.

korguy123, Mar 31, 2012