1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother fucker of a pale ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg bopping around India and the sub continent. Quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist.

God save the Queen and all who sail in her. Raising a Stiff Little Finger to IPAs that have come before and those it is yet to meet.
Turn up the volume Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, fucked up outlaw elite.

Never Mind the Bollocks this is the real shit.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 903 | Reviews: 461 | Show All Ratings:
badandy

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +26%

A: Appears to have some chill-haze. Hazy light amber in color. Medium head retention. Some lacing evident.

S: Brilliant! Grapefruit galore! Very ripe dark citrus (tangerine?) with a hint of pine. Something else there that I can't quite place....

T: Berries and pine upfront. Very unique hop profile. Bright, floral/fruity flavors followed by a deep, rich, complex finish (honey/pine). Bitterness is present but no unpleasant. Fantastic!

M: To style. Medium body, not particularly heavy, not particularly light. Very enjoyable.

This is one of the most unique beers I've tried in awhile... really glad I ran across one at the LCBO. Will definitely grab it again. For an 8-9% IPA it's extremely drinkable!

Serving type: can

08-31-2012 00:39:35 | More by badandy
salvo

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, the pine and grapefruit are even more forward, and punch up an already almost perfect beer drinking experience that much closer to pure perfection. Talking to the bartender, BrewDog seems to be playing with the recipe. I hope they keep this one. Otherwise, my review is consistent with the last Scottish bottle I drank:

Pours a beautiful cloudy straw towards golden: the color of clover honey. Half inch bone-white head streaks the glass. Lingering head.

Smell is wonderfully fruity: unripe guava and tropical fruit with pineapple, grapefruit and pine. Fruit is forefront. This fruit is what's missing from my US bottles.

Nicely medium-bodied and assertively drying; ends long and slow, unfolding through tropical fruit esters, then grapefruit, pine, and finally bitter dryness. Overall, this fresh bottle is wonderfully rich and complex: I'll be looking for an opportunity to enjoy it on tap. (Dare I hope for nitro somewhere?)

I'm enjoying this Punk from the bottle in Scotland, so I feel lucky. Had a couple before I left the states trying to make this very comparison. Here's my quandary: is this hoppier to me in comparison because British beer tends to be sweeter and have less alcohol, or does something happen in transit? It takes time, certainly, but this beer is richly hoppy and complex, and I just don't remember the taste being so vibrant in the US. We might never know, but it's worth putting it out there, methinks.

06-22-2011 19:41:19 | More by salvo
phunkykim

4.6/5  rDev +22%

i never do reviews on here - this is actually my wife's login - but i just HAD to make a comment on this one.

what a fantastic beer.

a good hard pour (not much in the way of carbonation) delivers a decent frothy head.

smell is quite citrussy.

taste - man, when i first sipped this there was a wave of hoppy bitterness that just overwhelmed my tastebuds. i thought for a second that it might have been off, but the initial wave of flavor receded and subtler tastes were revealed.
there are some very interesting flavors at work here, and i dont think i can really desribe them - but its an intriguing combination of citrus, dry grains and extreme hoppiness that is just so much more subtle than the initial wave of hops predicts.

6% ABV and dangerously drinkable - i could easily get into trrouble with a crate of these.

highly recommended for anyone looking for an interesting new twist on an IPA.

09-10-2009 01:28:50 | More by phunkykim
DoreenAndDave

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Pleasantly bitter pale ale. Very nicely balanced. Was extremely satisfying. Perhaps this is because we were drinking this while on a train ride, so our expectations were different than if were were at a beer bar drinking it out of the proper glass. But it was extremely satisfying. Hoppy but not overpowering. Extremely refreshing. Definitely something we'll look for again.

06-15-2009 20:57:49 | More by DoreenAndDave
Jetulio

Spain

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

33 cl bottle poured into a Pint glass

App/ light yellow colour with a white head (1 finger)

S/ pine resin, malt and grapefruit. Strong smell, very nice.

T / fresh and herbal sweetnes that ends in a bitterness very well balanced.
Long aftertaste.

M/ medium body and medium/light carbonation.

O / personal IPA, very nice even for me (a fan of ‘classic UK IPA’) !!
To repeat.

11-05-2012 11:27:58 | More by Jetulio
dionisio

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

You ever take the first sip of a new beer, only to suddenly discover just how thirsty you were, and you start chugging it, and it's so good? That's what happened here.

I swear I'm not TRYING to be UK biased, but I like this more than most of the American-brewed American IPAs I've had recently.

Love the hazy look, and the soft white head, that lasts at least to some extent for the whole time.

Taste is perfectly balanced, with a suggestion of grapefruit. And I love grapefruit.

Overall there is something "soft" about this beer that I really enjoy.

Also, I am fond of the packaging.

06-11-2010 01:51:30 | More by dionisio
dgilks

Australia

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

This can was straight from the brewery by courier so should be in top condition.

Pours a perfectly clear golden colour with a large, smooth white head. Fair head retention and nice lacing.

A bright, citrus hop aroma with some light Nelson Sauvin notes. This fades into a dank, redolent hop resin note with some very light malt.

Crisp pale malt with a hefty dose of grassy and citrussy hops. These guys have toned down the bitterness in this version but made the hop character longer lasting and more pleasant. The fruity hop notes are really good here.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Good.

A really solid American IPA. The fruity hop character comes across as fresh despite being 4 months old. Really, really good.

Serving type: can

08-31-2011 08:19:52 | More by dgilks
melindasrq

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while I was in Scotland and I was pleased to find it on tap as I have wanted to try this beer for sometime. I made sure to take some notes as I wanted to remember what it tasted like when I returned home.

As a big fan of IPAs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer as I had some assumption it would let me down in some way. (mainly due to all the kudos it gets) In every catagory, this IPA excelled. The hop flavor was strong but not so much so that it was overpowering like some. It was extremely smooth for a for an IPA but still really hoppy. I also was pleased that the alchol content wasn't up in the 7's but it didn't taste weaker as I expected. No way to describe this beer other then pretty close to perfect for an IPA.

07-05-2013 13:59:01 | More by melindasrq
Sunnanek

Sweden

4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden pour, with a white medium large head that leaves rich lace after it dissipates.

S: WOW!!! American floral hops hits the nose - pine and even roses. The hoppy smells dominates but there is also citric notes and a faint dry maltyness.

T: Very much like the smell, but the pale and caramell malt is more present.

M: A very long bitter, dry aftertaste that holds some sweetness as well. The body is full and the carbonation is moderate.

D: A very nice brittish (scottish) version of one of my favourite beer-styles. Very nice...

10-09-2009 17:42:39 | More by Sunnanek
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +18%

It pours a really light golden colour... closer to the colour of a lager. It does have some nice head and leaves a bit of lacing though.

It has a nice smell of piney hops. When I take a sip, I first think it is too thin, without enough of a malt backbone. Then my 2nd and 3rd sips... then my 4th and 5th, and I'm almost done. Ya, I don't seem to mind the lack of malt backbone. This is just delicious. I love the piney hop taste and I could drink this beer all day.

I couldn't believe how fast I finished this beer. I think I've just started and my glass is just about finished. I usually drink beers fairly slowly, but not this one.

02-16-2010 15:15:01 | More by kwjd
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pale orange with a golden tint. The head is big and made up of many different bubbles

S- Fresh bouquets of sweet flowers glazed in a spicy orange sauce

T- Smooth with a light malt body that focuses on the hops. My kind of IPA. Simple with one straight-forward hop not supported by basic malts

M- Light but with a syrupy texture and a touch of tang

D- All-around good IPA without a single flaw

07-27-2010 02:10:26 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
rwalker87

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer, great flavor, too pricey to be my everyday beer, but I wish it could be.

Appearance: hazy yellow orange with a white head leaving white lacing.

Smell: Strong Citrus aroma with hints of caramel

Taste: Not quite as bitter as the California IPA's but still distinct hop flavors along with citrus and tropical fruit flavors, biscuit notes linger past the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, Little alcohol essence, very drinkable.

03-25-2011 00:26:18 | More by rwalker87
thebrood1987

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazing smell of herbal crisp grapefruit from the hops. On the taste its very smooth with the hop flavors mostly consisting of grapes from the Nelson sauvin hops they use as well as the herbal qualities from the other hops.

The bitterness isn't big but it evolves on the back of your tongue as you progress through the beer. So it does remind you of an IPA most definitely. The hop flavors are what shine through this though and not the bitterness.

The malts come through with the smoothness as soon as you sip it and then it melds with the hop flavor so well on the rest of the sip. Great beer I can't wait to try their Hardcore IPA now that my beer stores are starting to carry their beers more, which I'm grateful for because this beer is awesome.

12-24-2013 02:13:32 | More by thebrood1987
JoeyBeerBelly

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

660ml bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Lightly hazed golden color with a white head that thinned out but still left some sticky lacing.
Aroma is tropical fruit with a malt background.
Taste starts out fruity, pineapple, grapefruit, mango and citrus, a toffee malt flavor comes in before the crisp, dry finish.
Medium bodied with good carbonation.
Goes down very easy and I found it to be quite tasty.

08-29-2009 00:49:36 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
MAB

Alberta (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a wonderful addition to the industry, in my opinion.
see the website at: http://www.brewdog.com/micro_brewery.php

The label reminds me of "Arrogant Bastard"'s marketing harangue: 'You're not worthy', they say.
This one says 'This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. But we don't care' (words to that effect)

So I bought it and loved it.
It is aggressive. However, the color, in a tall glass, makes it look like an average lager would- very deceptive.

The bitterness is up front and persistent, and totally in keeping with the IPA style. This is the best British version of an IPA that I've ever had. I would normally choose a NW USA IPA over most anything, but this was a very nice surprise.

Highly enjoyable.

03-28-2008 19:03:11 | More by MAB
DeanMoriarty

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem at BeerTemple in Amsterdam, on-tap in a pint glass for 5.50 Euro. They had it listed on their beer board as a "Post Modern Classic Pale Ale".

A: Pours a fairly clean (especially for a European IPA) golden, slightly copper hue with a massive head and good lace.

S: Sweet and malty, bready yeast, sour fruit and a somewhat tame hop smell. The hop is nice, just somewhat dominated by the yeast and malt.

T: Luckily the hops are much more prevalent in the flavor than they are in the nose - grassy and resinous, somewhat floral and citrusy. The malt is there too but balances rather than dominates the overall flavor of this tasty IPA.

M: On the lighter side of a medium-bodied brew, with a mellow carbonation that really lends nicely to the creamy finish of this beer.

D: Extremely drinkable - this beer brought me back to BeerTemple in Amsterdam nearly every night for a couple to cap the night. I am a huge "hop head" and this brew definitely scratched my itch!

11-16-2010 19:04:00 | More by DeanMoriarty
Hawk345

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The new standard in basic IPA.
Smooth, hoppy but not too bitter.
Its just really good beer, its the sort of thing you take to a party to impress people that you like good beer, then make sure noneof the losers get any cos its too good for them.
They dont deserve it
Entry level Brewdog, go do it tday

08-30-2012 23:24:56 | More by Hawk345
djura

Serbia

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got it in Romania.

A - Honey dark orange color,nice white tick foam.lasting less then minute. high carbonation.

S - Excellent aroma of figs,honey,jam fruit,quince. So good!

T/M - Maybe a bit more carbonation,but the rest is like you drink paradise nectar. Similar aromas as smell,very good balanced beer. Highly drinkable,refreshing bitter aftertaste.

O - One of the best i ever had. Want this one every day!

04-04-2013 14:07:27 | More by djura
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Light bronze colour, and small head that leaves rather quickly. Not very carbonated

S: It has a fruity and hoppy smell to it. It's quite pleasing to the nose.

T: When taking a drink the hops don't pop right into your mouth, but they follow a nice fruity taste. After the hops finish their course, a pleasing bitter taste stays around.

M: The beer is thin, but in a good way. Rests nice in your mouth.

D: Quite drinkable and it's not filling so I would like another, though I find the bitterness stays around too long to drink it fast.

This is best described as a mix between an American IPA and a English IPA. It has less of a hoppy flavour than most American IPAs, but still way more than an English IPA. This is highly recommended for hop lovers in England.

02-24-2008 22:16:24 | More by swizzlenuts
mscudder

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Enjoyed a bottle in a Red Hook cylinder? (I don't know how to describe this glass haha!) Best by 12/12.

A - Pale and lager-like yellow with little complexity. Fair sized white head with fair retention.

S - Pine, hops, grapefruit, and some bread nicely blended together. Simply fantastic on the nose.

T - A wet and chewy sensation. Follows the nose with flavors in addition to a hop profile that contains some bitterness on the back end and some nice aromatic hops up front. Rather delicious I must say.

M - Prickly is the best word I can use to concatenate this brew. Carbonation sets off the tastes and finishes rather crisp.

O - I was very impressed with this one and it makes 2/2 brews from BrewDog that I would be pleased to encounter again. Pass me another!

08-09-2012 08:04:45 | More by mscudder
thomasausud

France

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Leffe Chalice glass and a Skansen Footed Pilsener. Best before 10/10/13.

Pours an amber colour and forms a small head which didn't last too long.

It smells like passionfruit and tastes like passionfruit too. There is a nice balance of bitterness to the sweet fruit flavours. The mouthfeel is pleasant and fresh but otherwise unremarkable.

I would happily drink this again.

02-12-2013 19:47:20 | More by thomasausud
IPAIsaac

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving was bottled & tap... in London, UK (Camden Town) and Edinburgh, UK. Bottled only in US (22oz)

This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had to date.

Everything about this beer, I like.

I wish they shipped more to the states. When I was living in the UK this was my go to. (4mo.) Most places I find around me do have this in usually a larger bottle but almost all are 2yrs+ !!! I don't know how places can sell this like that. ??

When fresh, this beer is badass.

I will always miss this beer and Brewdog.

06-22-2013 01:05:08 | More by IPAIsaac
JamesS

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very pale copper, near straw yellow color, uncommonly light for an IPA, but it has fantastic head and wonderful lacing.

Great scent, a very strong floral/hoppy aroma with slight vanilla hints.

Wonderful taste, the hops hit you softly at first, giving hints of butterscotch and vanilla, but then the aftertaste just has a great hoppy/bitter kick at the very end. There's even a wonderful touch of citrus left on the palatte and lips after.

This goes down smooth; it's a 'lawnmower' beer, even given it's higher than yard work usual ABV. This is a fantastic beer.

07-28-2008 22:25:47 | More by JamesS
hosehead83

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Cloudy, pale gold in color, with a big billowy, eggshell-white head of foam
Aroma-Citrus, earthy hop notes
Taste-Big onrush of bitter hops, subtle citrus notes and a citrus-rind, lingering bitter finish. Earthy hops in the background-Taste belies pale appearance- full on resinous hops throughout, with bread and biscuit notes.
Overall, complex, snappy and full of character. Reminds me of a Victory Hop Wallop in its pale color and big hop flavor. Very nice.

04-04-2010 21:57:18 | More by hosehead83
Metalmonk

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Batch 482.

Pours a remarkably creamy, frothy head, white as snow, firm, long-lasting. The color is peach yellow with a slight bit of haze.

Aroma is on the fruitier side of hoppy; pithy and citrusy. Sugar cookie dough. Clean and light grassy greenness.

Total grapefruit peel explosion in the mouth. Very much a rip-roaring West Coast-ish IPA, in that the hops are big, clean, bright and citrusy. Malt has a nice candy-meets-sugar cookie dough sweetness. A ginger-like spiciness offers added depth. Maybe not super-complex, but I get the feeling it's not supposed to be.

Spritzy, bright, lightly sticky, yet also creamy... just right for the kind of flavor this is delivering.

At a very reasonable 6%, this delivers a ton of flavor, most of it being incredibly vivid and fragrant hops. While it's not a total hop bomb, it's close. Definitely not for the faint of palate. A hop-lover's go-to-beer dream.

09-29-2010 22:13:39 | More by Metalmonk