Punk IPA - BrewDog

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 508 | Hads: 1,517
4.71/5  rDev +27.3%

A: Appears to have some chill-haze. Hazy light amber in color. Medium head retention. Some lacing evident.

S: Brilliant! Grapefruit galore! Very ripe dark citrus (tangerine?) with a hint of pine. Something else there that I can't quite place....

T: Berries and pine upfront. Very unique hop profile. Bright, floral/fruity flavors followed by a deep, rich, complex finish (honey/pine). Bitterness is present but no unpleasant. Fantastic!

M: To style. Medium body, not particularly heavy, not particularly light. Very enjoyable.

This is one of the most unique beers I've tried in awhile... really glad I ran across one at the LCBO. Will definitely grab it again. For an 8-9% IPA it's extremely drinkable! (706 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, the pine and grapefruit are even more forward, and punch up an already almost perfect beer drinking experience that much closer to pure perfection. Talking to the bartender, BrewDog seems to be playing with the recipe. I hope they keep this one. Otherwise, my review is consistent with the last Scottish bottle I drank:

Pours a beautiful cloudy straw towards golden: the color of clover honey. Half inch bone-white head streaks the glass. Lingering head.

Smell is wonderfully fruity: unripe guava and tropical fruit with pineapple, grapefruit and pine. Fruit is forefront. This fruit is what's missing from my US bottles.

Nicely medium-bodied and assertively drying; ends long and slow, unfolding through tropical fruit esters, then grapefruit, pine, and finally bitter dryness. Overall, this fresh bottle is wonderfully rich and complex: I'll be looking for an opportunity to enjoy it on tap. (Dare I hope for nitro somewhere?)

I'm enjoying this Punk from the bottle in Scotland, so I feel lucky. Had a couple before I left the states trying to make this very comparison. Here's my quandary: is this hoppier to me in comparison because British beer tends to be sweeter and have less alcohol, or does something happen in transit? It takes time, certainly, but this beer is richly hoppy and complex, and I just don't remember the taste being so vibrant in the US. We might never know, but it's worth putting it out there, methinks. (1,442 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%

L: Poured this very attractive bottle of IPA in to my chalice glass and it came out light amber with a medium to large head. There was a bit of haziness too it when the beer settled.

S: This smelled quite inviting with both citrus and floral hops almost making my mouth water. So far very very good!!

T: Wow theyre not just saying that theres and explosion of taste in your mouth there really is! Lovely grapefruit, caramel, pineapple and some other tropical fruits!

F: Not too heavy and definitely not too gassy for me... just perfect!

O: A very nice IPA (one of my faves) but be warned the alcohol content is high and does not show when consuming. (656 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.5%

Pleasantly bitter pale ale. Very nicely balanced. Was extremely satisfying. Perhaps this is because we were drinking this while on a train ride, so our expectations were different than if were were at a beer bar drinking it out of the proper glass. But it was extremely satisfying. Hoppy but not overpowering. Extremely refreshing. Definitely something we'll look for again. (374 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +23.5%

33 cl bottle poured into a Pint glass

App/ light yellow colour with a white head (1 finger)

S/ pine resin, malt and grapefruit. Strong smell, very nice.

T / fresh and herbal sweetnes that ends in a bitterness very well balanced.
Long aftertaste.

M/ medium body and medium/light carbonation.

O / personal IPA, very nice even for me (a fan of ‘classic UK IPA’) !!
To repeat. (382 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +23%

i never do reviews on here - this is actually my wife's login - but i just HAD to make a comment on this one.

what a fantastic beer.

a good hard pour (not much in the way of carbonation) delivers a decent frothy head.

smell is quite citrussy.

taste - man, when i first sipped this there was a wave of hoppy bitterness that just overwhelmed my tastebuds. i thought for a second that it might have been off, but the initial wave of flavor receded and subtler tastes were revealed.
there are some very interesting flavors at work here, and i dont think i can really desribe them - but its an intriguing combination of citrus, dry grains and extreme hoppiness that is just so much more subtle than the initial wave of hops predicts.

6% ABV and dangerously drinkable - i could easily get into trrouble with a crate of these.

highly recommended for anyone looking for an interesting new twist on an IPA. (903 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Unfiltered, blond ale with 2 fingers of head and sticky lacing left on the glass. This is how a brew should look

S - Citrus hops. Pineapple.

T - Citrus, hop juice. Damn refreshing and tasty!

F - Well carbonated, medium body

O - An awesome well balanced IPA. On the citrus side. Really good. (303 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +21.9%

Got it in Romania.

A - Honey dark orange color,nice white tick foam.lasting less then minute. high carbonation.

S - Excellent aroma of figs,honey,jam, quince. So good!

T/M - Maybe a bit more carbonation,but the rest is like you drink paradise nectar. Similar aromas as smell,very good balanced beer. Highly drinkable,refreshing bitter aftertaste.

O - One of the best i ever had. Want this one every day! (407 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This can was straight from the brewery by courier so should be in top condition.

Pours a perfectly clear golden colour with a large, smooth white head. Fair head retention and nice lacing.

A bright, citrus hop aroma with some light Nelson Sauvin notes. This fades into a dank, redolent hop resin note with some very light malt.

Crisp pale malt with a hefty dose of grassy and citrussy hops. These guys have toned down the bitterness in this version but made the hop character longer lasting and more pleasant. The fruity hop notes are really good here.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Good.

A really solid American IPA. The fruity hop character comes across as fresh despite being 4 months old. Really, really good. (733 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

You ever take the first sip of a new beer, only to suddenly discover just how thirsty you were, and you start chugging it, and it's so good? That's what happened here.

I swear I'm not TRYING to be UK biased, but I like this more than most of the American-brewed American IPAs I've had recently.

Love the hazy look, and the soft white head, that lasts at least to some extent for the whole time.

Taste is perfectly balanced, with a suggestion of grapefruit. And I love grapefruit.

Overall there is something "soft" about this beer that I really enjoy.

Also, I am fond of the packaging. (589 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while I was in Scotland and I was pleased to find it on tap as I have wanted to try this beer for sometime. I made sure to take some notes as I wanted to remember what it tasted like when I returned home.

As a big fan of IPAs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer as I had some assumption it would let me down in some way. (mainly due to all the kudos it gets) In every catagory, this IPA excelled. The hop flavor was strong but not so much so that it was overpowering like some. It was extremely smooth for a for an IPA but still really hoppy. I also was pleased that the alchol content wasn't up in the 7's but it didn't taste weaker as I expected. No way to describe this beer other then pretty close to perfect for an IPA. (756 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer, great flavor, too pricey to be my everyday beer, but I wish it could be.

Appearance: hazy yellow orange with a white head leaving white lacing.

Smell: Strong Citrus aroma with hints of caramel

Taste: Not quite as bitter as the California IPA's but still distinct hop flavors along with citrus and tropical fruit flavors, biscuit notes linger past the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, Little alcohol essence, very drinkable.

http://dtbrewreview.blogspot.com/2011/03/punk-ipa.html (498 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazing smell of herbal crisp grapefruit from the hops. On the taste its very smooth with the hop flavors mostly consisting of grapes from the Nelson sauvin hops they use as well as the herbal qualities from the other hops.

The bitterness isn't big but it evolves on the back of your tongue as you progress through the beer. So it does remind you of an IPA most definitely. The hop flavors are what shine through this though and not the bitterness.

The malts come through with the smoothness as soon as you sip it and then it melds with the hop flavor so well on the rest of the sip. Great beer I can't wait to try their Hardcore IPA now that my beer stores are starting to carry their beers more, which I'm grateful for because this beer is awesome. (754 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pale orange with a golden tint. The head is big and made up of many different bubbles

S- Fresh bouquets of sweet flowers glazed in a spicy orange sauce

T- Smooth with a light malt body that focuses on the hops. My kind of IPA. Simple with one straight-forward hop not supported by basic malts

M- Light but with a syrupy texture and a touch of tang

D- All-around good IPA without a single flaw (399 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden pour, with a white medium large head that leaves rich lace after it dissipates.

S: WOW!!! American floral hops hits the nose - pine and even roses. The hoppy smells dominates but there is also citric notes and a faint dry maltyness.

T: Very much like the smell, but the pale and caramell malt is more present.

M: A very long bitter, dry aftertaste that holds some sweetness as well. The body is full and the carbonation is moderate.

D: A very nice brittish (scottish) version of one of my favourite beer-styles. Very nice... (538 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank at BrewDog Bar Birmingham England. Served cold at commercial lager temperature in a Punk IPA Tulip Glass.Typical IPA colour with half inch of bubbley white head. Big strong aromas of garapfruit and spruce, matched by flavours of the same accentuated by lively carbonation which brings on the dry bitter American hop flavours. Quite a shock to the taste buds if you're not used to American Style IPA's but this Brew soon has you coming back for more!... Beware if you're on a sesh though! as the flavour does hide the 5.6 ABV. (531 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

660ml bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Lightly hazed golden color with a white head that thinned out but still left some sticky lacing.
Aroma is tropical fruit with a malt background.
Taste starts out fruity, pineapple, grapefruit, mango and citrus, a toffee malt flavor comes in before the crisp, dry finish.
Medium bodied with good carbonation.
Goes down very easy and I found it to be quite tasty. (408 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +19.2%

It pours a really light golden colour... closer to the colour of a lager. It does have some nice head and leaves a bit of lacing though.

It has a nice smell of piney hops. When I take a sip, I first think it is too thin, without enough of a malt backbone. Then my 2nd and 3rd sips... then my 4th and 5th, and I'm almost done. Ya, I don't seem to mind the lack of malt backbone. This is just delicious. I love the piney hop taste and I could drink this beer all day.

I couldn't believe how fast I finished this beer. I think I've just started and my glass is just about finished. I usually drink beers fairly slowly, but not this one. (635 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a wonderful addition to the industry, in my opinion.
see the website at: http://www.brewdog.com/micro_brewery.php

The label reminds me of "Arrogant Bastard"'s marketing harangue: 'You're not worthy', they say.
This one says 'This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. But we don't care' (words to that effect)

So I bought it and loved it.
It is aggressive. However, the color, in a tall glass, makes it look like an average lager would- very deceptive.

The bitterness is up front and persistent, and totally in keeping with the IPA style. This is the best British version of an IPA that I've ever had. I would normally choose a NW USA IPA over most anything, but this was a very nice surprise.

Highly enjoyable. (736 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The new standard in basic IPA.
Smooth, hoppy but not too bitter.
Its just really good beer, its the sort of thing you take to a party to impress people that you like good beer, then make sure noneof the losers get any cos its too good for them.
They dont deserve it
Entry level Brewdog, go do it tday (300 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem at BeerTemple in Amsterdam, on-tap in a pint glass for 5.50 Euro. They had it listed on their beer board as a "Post Modern Classic Pale Ale".

A: Pours a fairly clean (especially for a European IPA) golden, slightly copper hue with a massive head and good lace.

S: Sweet and malty, bready yeast, sour fruit and a somewhat tame hop smell. The hop is nice, just somewhat dominated by the yeast and malt.

T: Luckily the hops are much more prevalent in the flavor than they are in the nose - grassy and resinous, somewhat floral and citrusy. The malt is there too but balances rather than dominates the overall flavor of this tasty IPA.

M: On the lighter side of a medium-bodied brew, with a mellow carbonation that really lends nicely to the creamy finish of this beer.

D: Extremely drinkable - this beer brought me back to BeerTemple in Amsterdam nearly every night for a couple to cap the night. I am a huge "hop head" and this brew definitely scratched my itch! (985 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is exactly what I want in an IPA. I'm not an overly big IPA guy and this might be sacrilege to my IPA-loving friends who always obsess over the hop character of every beer, but this one pretty much tops the list for me. It is full of flavor without going overboard. It is balanced between hops of a vaguely pine or pineapple sort, malts which taste like good bread, and an altogether pleasant medium between the two. It's an IPA which doesn't just taste like an IPA. It tastes like a beer too, and a very good one at that. It was my first introduction to BrewDog's brand of no-nonsense, punk-styled offerings and it will not be my last. So far I have found this to be good in bottles purchased here in the states as well as on tap at their Edinburgh location which I was fortunate to visit last week while vacationing there. This beer goes well with cheese and will forever occupy a place in my palate as the perfect example of hops that aren't over the top. (963 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured out with a strong sweet aroma that’s distinctly says “I’m an IPA”. This is a cloudy IPA, but it’s a nice soft golden color and is topped with a nice thick (three fingers thick) and bubbly head. It gives off a really pleasant aroma; I picked up some orange, grapefruit and pair. Hops and some wheat are present as well along with a slight banana bread smell. It’s light and crisp when it first hits your tongue, it does leave a mild film in your mouth. It’s mildly bitter on the sides of your mouth and tart as you swallow, it reminds me of a very sharp cheddar. It’s very smooth and leaves a slight alcohol aftertaste too! Very nice lacing too! The bitterness calms down after it warms up a bit, but so does the flavor, this is better tasting when its chilled.
...Word of caution, this beer should be drunk with a hot naked babe next to you! (864 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Leffe Chalice glass and a Skansen Footed Pilsener. Best before 10/10/13.

Pours an amber colour and forms a small head which didn't last too long.

It smells like passionfruit and tastes like passionfruit too. There is a nice balance of bitterness to the sweet fruit flavours. The mouthfeel is pleasant and fresh but otherwise unremarkable.

I would happily drink this again. (411 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.8%

Enjoyed a bottle in a Red Hook cylinder? (I don't know how to describe this glass haha!) Best by 12/12.

A - Pale and lager-like yellow with little complexity. Fair sized white head with fair retention.

S - Pine, hops, grapefruit, and some bread nicely blended together. Simply fantastic on the nose.

T - A wet and chewy sensation. Follows the nose with flavors in addition to a hop profile that contains some bitterness on the back end and some nice aromatic hops up front. Rather delicious I must say.

M - Prickly is the best word I can use to concatenate this brew. Carbonation sets off the tastes and finishes rather crisp.

O - I was very impressed with this one and it makes 2/2 brews from BrewDog that I would be pleased to encounter again. Pass me another! (767 characters)

Punk IPA from BrewDog