Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,490 | Reviews: 536

best beer i have ever tasted

Uma belíssima cerveja com aroma(lembra maracujá) e sabor impecável.

4.98/5  rDev +30.4%

Best ipa ever i taste

4.89/5  rDev +28%

The Punk IPA has a great grapefruit smell. It is very smooth and well balanced. This is a beer I could drink all day.

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%

Outstanding ipa from the amazing brew dog.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Uma de minhas preferidas . Vale a pena .

4.71/5  rDev +23.3%

A: Appears to have some chill-haze. Hazy light amber in color. Medium head retention. Some lacing evident.

S: Brilliant! Grapefruit galore! Very ripe dark citrus (tangerine?) with a hint of pine. Something else there that I can't quite place....

T: Berries and pine upfront. Very unique hop profile. Bright, floral/fruity flavors followed by a deep, rich, complex finish (honey/pine). Bitterness is present but no unpleasant. Fantastic!

M: To style. Medium body, not particularly heavy, not particularly light. Very enjoyable.

This is one of the most unique beers I've tried in awhile... really glad I ran across one at the LCBO. Will definitely grab it again. For an 8-9% IPA it's extremely drinkable!

4.71/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It was first beer by Brewdog and I was amassed

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, the pine and grapefruit are even more forward, and punch up an already almost perfect beer drinking experience that much closer to pure perfection. Talking to the bartender, BrewDog seems to be playing with the recipe. I hope they keep this one. Otherwise, my review is consistent with the last Scottish bottle I drank:

Pours a beautiful cloudy straw towards golden: the color of clover honey. Half inch bone-white head streaks the glass. Lingering head.

Smell is wonderfully fruity: unripe guava and tropical fruit with pineapple, grapefruit and pine. Fruit is forefront. This fruit is what's missing from my US bottles.

Nicely medium-bodied and assertively drying; ends long and slow, unfolding through tropical fruit esters, then grapefruit, pine, and finally bitter dryness. Overall, this fresh bottle is wonderfully rich and complex: I'll be looking for an opportunity to enjoy it on tap. (Dare I hope for nitro somewhere?)

I'm enjoying this Punk from the bottle in Scotland, so I feel lucky. Had a couple before I left the states trying to make this very comparison. Here's my quandary: is this hoppier to me in comparison because British beer tends to be sweeter and have less alcohol, or does something happen in transit? It takes time, certainly, but this beer is richly hoppy and complex, and I just don't remember the taste being so vibrant in the US. We might never know, but it's worth putting it out there, methinks.

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very balanced IPA. Recommend to everyone

4.66/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taste at brewdog firenze. Incredible

4.66/5  rDev +22%

L: Poured this very attractive bottle of IPA in to my chalice glass and it came out light amber with a medium to large head. There was a bit of haziness too it when the beer settled.

S: This smelled quite inviting with both citrus and floral hops almost making my mouth water. So far very very good!!

T: Wow theyre not just saying that theres and explosion of taste in your mouth there really is! Lovely grapefruit, caramel, pineapple and some other tropical fruits!

F: Not too heavy and definitely not too gassy for me... just perfect!

O: A very nice IPA (one of my faves) but be warned the alcohol content is high and does not show when consuming.

4.61/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Superb hop nose but taste is very restrained - lively color, lacy head

4.57/5  rDev +19.6%

Pleasantly bitter pale ale. Very nicely balanced. Was extremely satisfying. Perhaps this is because we were drinking this while on a train ride, so our expectations were different than if were were at a beer bar drinking it out of the proper glass. But it was extremely satisfying. Hoppy but not overpowering. Extremely refreshing. Definitely something we'll look for again.

4.57/5  rDev +19.6%

33 cl bottle poured into a Pint glass

App/ light yellow colour with a white head (1 finger)

S/ pine resin, malt and grapefruit. Strong smell, very nice.

T / fresh and herbal sweetnes that ends in a bitterness very well balanced.
Long aftertaste.

M/ medium body and medium/light carbonation.

O / personal IPA, very nice even for me (a fan of ‘classic UK IPA’) !!
To repeat.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

i never do reviews on here - this is actually my wife's login - but i just HAD to make a comment on this one.

what a fantastic beer.

a good hard pour (not much in the way of carbonation) delivers a decent frothy head.

smell is quite citrussy.

taste - man, when i first sipped this there was a wave of hoppy bitterness that just overwhelmed my tastebuds. i thought for a second that it might have been off, but the initial wave of flavor receded and subtler tastes were revealed.
there are some very interesting flavors at work here, and i dont think i can really desribe them - but its an intriguing combination of citrus, dry grains and extreme hoppiness that is just so much more subtle than the initial wave of hops predicts.

6% ABV and dangerously drinkable - i could easily get into trrouble with a crate of these.

highly recommended for anyone looking for an interesting new twist on an IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Unfiltered, blond ale with 2 fingers of head and sticky lacing left on the glass. This is how a brew should look

S - Citrus hops. Pineapple.

T - Citrus, hop juice. Damn refreshing and tasty!

F - Well carbonated, medium body

O - An awesome well balanced IPA. On the citrus side. Really good.

4.51/5  rDev +18.1%

Got it in Romania.

A - Honey dark orange color,nice white tick foam.lasting less then minute. high carbonation.

S - Excellent aroma of figs,honey,jam, quince. So good!

T/M - Maybe a bit more carbonation,but the rest is like you drink paradise nectar. Similar aromas as smell,very good balanced beer. Highly drinkable,refreshing bitter aftertaste.

O - One of the best i ever had. Want this one every day!

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This can was straight from the brewery by courier so should be in top condition.

Pours a perfectly clear golden colour with a large, smooth white head. Fair head retention and nice lacing.

A bright, citrus hop aroma with some light Nelson Sauvin notes. This fades into a dank, redolent hop resin note with some very light malt.

Crisp pale malt with a hefty dose of grassy and citrussy hops. These guys have toned down the bitterness in this version but made the hop character longer lasting and more pleasant. The fruity hop notes are really good here.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Good.

A really solid American IPA. The fruity hop character comes across as fresh despite being 4 months old. Really, really good.

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

You ever take the first sip of a new beer, only to suddenly discover just how thirsty you were, and you start chugging it, and it's so good? That's what happened here.

I swear I'm not TRYING to be UK biased, but I like this more than most of the American-brewed American IPAs I've had recently.

Love the hazy look, and the soft white head, that lasts at least to some extent for the whole time.

Taste is perfectly balanced, with a suggestion of grapefruit. And I love grapefruit.

Overall there is something "soft" about this beer that I really enjoy.

Also, I am fond of the packaging.

4.47/5  rDev +17%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Good balance, tasty, refreshing, without any outstanding feature. Very nice!

4.46/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while I was in Scotland and I was pleased to find it on tap as I have wanted to try this beer for sometime. I made sure to take some notes as I wanted to remember what it tasted like when I returned home.

As a big fan of IPAs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer as I had some assumption it would let me down in some way. (mainly due to all the kudos it gets) In every catagory, this IPA excelled. The hop flavor was strong but not so much so that it was overpowering like some. It was extremely smooth for a for an IPA but still really hoppy. I also was pleased that the alchol content wasn't up in the 7's but it didn't taste weaker as I expected. No way to describe this beer other then pretty close to perfect for an IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer, great flavor, too pricey to be my everyday beer, but I wish it could be.

Appearance: hazy yellow orange with a white head leaving white lacing.

Smell: Strong Citrus aroma with hints of caramel

Taste: Not quite as bitter as the California IPA's but still distinct hop flavors along with citrus and tropical fruit flavors, biscuit notes linger past the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, Little alcohol essence, very drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazing smell of herbal crisp grapefruit from the hops. On the taste its very smooth with the hop flavors mostly consisting of grapes from the Nelson sauvin hops they use as well as the herbal qualities from the other hops.

The bitterness isn't big but it evolves on the back of your tongue as you progress through the beer. So it does remind you of an IPA most definitely. The hop flavors are what shine through this though and not the bitterness.

The malts come through with the smoothness as soon as you sip it and then it melds with the hop flavor so well on the rest of the sip. Great beer I can't wait to try their Hardcore IPA now that my beer stores are starting to carry their beers more, which I'm grateful for because this beer is awesome.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pale orange with a golden tint. The head is big and made up of many different bubbles

S- Fresh bouquets of sweet flowers glazed in a spicy orange sauce

T- Smooth with a light malt body that focuses on the hops. My kind of IPA. Simple with one straight-forward hop not supported by basic malts

M- Light but with a syrupy texture and a touch of tang

D- All-around good IPA without a single flaw