2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother fucker of a pale ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg bopping around India and the sub continent. Quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist.

God save the Queen and all who sail in her. Raising a Stiff Little Finger to IPAs that have come before and those it is yet to meet.
Turn up the volume Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, fucked up outlaw elite.

Never Mind the Bollocks this is the real shit.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Ratings: 905 | Reviews: 461 | Show All Ratings:
BradMacMullin

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Sometimes a beer just gets on your nerves. I tried this at island creek oyster house as it sounded interesting. I just saw the website and it said that they don't care if you like our beer. Thank god, as you wouldn't make anymore. This poured a standard pale ale color and a little head. It was a nice start. Trouble was I didn't know what this was going for. A bit malty and a hint of citrus....not overly hoppy which is fine. But after many drinks I was kind of hoping it was over soon. More of a farmhouse ale in my mind. I didn't like this, but of course, they don't care any way. Guess we both lose

01-12-2014 20:45:56 | More by BradMacMullin
Oakenator

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours yellow/orange/slight amber. Creamy head a d good lacing.

S: Aroma is definitely hoppy - strong line, nice.

T: Nicely hopped, piney and bitter for a UK IPA.

M: Pretty light and could do more than one.

O: EDIT: On tap at BrewDog Camden Town. Fresh. Hoppy. Nice. As expected.

11-15-2013 23:55:53 | More by Oakenator
melindasrq

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while I was in Scotland and I was pleased to find it on tap as I have wanted to try this beer for sometime. I made sure to take some notes as I wanted to remember what it tasted like when I returned home.

As a big fan of IPAs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer as I had some assumption it would let me down in some way. (mainly due to all the kudos it gets) In every catagory, this IPA excelled. The hop flavor was strong but not so much so that it was overpowering like some. It was extremely smooth for a for an IPA but still really hoppy. I also was pleased that the alchol content wasn't up in the 7's but it didn't taste weaker as I expected. No way to describe this beer other then pretty close to perfect for an IPA.

07-05-2013 13:59:01 | More by melindasrq
IPAIsaac

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving was bottled & tap... in London, UK (Camden Town) and Edinburgh, UK. Bottled only in US (22oz)

This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had to date.

Everything about this beer, I like.

I wish they shipped more to the states. When I was living in the UK this was my go to. (4mo.) Most places I find around me do have this in usually a larger bottle but almost all are 2yrs+ !!! I don't know how places can sell this like that. ??

When fresh, this beer is badass.

I will always miss this beer and Brewdog.

06-22-2013 01:05:08 | More by IPAIsaac
Hawk345

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The new standard in basic IPA.
Smooth, hoppy but not too bitter.
Its just really good beer, its the sort of thing you take to a party to impress people that you like good beer, then make sure noneof the losers get any cos its too good for them.
They dont deserve it
Entry level Brewdog, go do it tday

08-30-2012 23:24:56 | More by Hawk345
GONZALOYANNA

Spain

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap. Pint glass. Enjoyed on agt´11. Looks like amberish honey in color, chill haze. Off-white froth, rocky copious crown. Floral notes, cut grass, yeast to the nose. Hops are shown by overwhelm citric & piney aromas. Grapefruit tartiness combined with intense biscuit malts provides a complex but gentle bitter flavor. Dry mouthfeel . Medium body, moderate carbonation. Slightly buttery in the middle. Bitter hops on the aftertaste. Very easy drinkability & refreshing sensation. Perfect pairing with spicy fried chicken. Since I have enjoyed this well balanced huge beer many times on bottle I considered it a good one. Now, on-tap, I call her heavy gun.

04-19-2012 08:35:01 | More by GONZALOYANNA
spdyfire83

Ireland

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

172nd Review
Served in a glass
On-draft at The Black Sheep

A: Bright copper. Single (frothy white) fingernail head.

S: Not much of a nose here - simply a hint of dull hops and that's about it. I even asked my wife to take a sniff; unfortunately she can't stand the smell of IPAs, but she couldn't even place this one.

T: Wow - the smell is very deceiving because this beer taste really, really good. Hop explosion straight away! Pine, citrus, and earthy notes follow nicely. Loads of balanced hops and malt start-to-finish which is very enjoyable.

M: Medium/full bodied with moderate carbonation. Quite thick and coating.

O: I'll be honest here: 1) I was afraid that this beer was going to suck based on the smell, but the taste is just brilliant. 2) It is possible that my review is a bit skewed at the moment for this beer as I really miss "fresh" American IPA's and this one snuck up on me at the right moment. This beer drinks very nicely and is quite tasty all-around. If you don't have access to the classic "hop bombs" and this one is around, it will surely wet/satisfy your palate. Nice job BrewDog!

02-12-2012 08:49:18 | More by spdyfire83
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

2.98/5  rDev -21%

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with 1.5 finger white head. Stellar retention with loads of lacing from top to bottom.

S - Floral, buttery biscuits, cheesy sulphur yeast, lemon zest. Cheese dominates as it warms.

T - Floral hops with a buttery pale malt. Lemon zest starts opening up with a spicy bitterness. The buttery cracker pale malt is a strange mix with the lemon rind hops. Crisp finish with some lemon and leafy hop bitterness lingering.

M - Moderate carbonation, full side of medium body.

Great looking beer! A cracker based pale malt with lots of leafy and lemon zest hops. The light buttery flavor didn't help. It almost has a lager yeast character. Different but the perfume/lemon hops seems forced on top of the simple pale malt.

11-20-2011 21:42:38 | More by StaveHooks
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

An orangey, mango like colour that is very slightly cloudy and settles with a pinky sized head that has good retention & some lacing as well.

A fruity mango aroma with hint of pine although not as strong as that from the bottled version. A very nice and appealing smell, one of the best from a beer so far.

Again very simliar to the smell with a nice mango and blended fruit flavour that is quite sweet. There is a mildy bitter aftertaste that finishes the drink off nicely.

Medium bodied and very smooth, a little creamy too. A nice combination.

Has a lot less bitter, more sweet/fruity flavour than the bottle version with mango being the main taste & smell in this version.

08-04-2011 12:16:04 | More by flyingpig
Trizzle

United Kingdom (England)

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Clear golden pour. Nice fading head with only a little lace

Lovely piney nose full of US hops, orange an lemon peel, and a nice honey malt background.

Medium body dominated by piney & green peppercorn hops with a mild honey malt background.

A great "drinking" beer. I have said my bit re: brewdog on the forums here before but there is no denying that they do some great beer.

06-25-2011 17:07:51 | More by Trizzle
salvo

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, the pine and grapefruit are even more forward, and punch up an already almost perfect beer drinking experience that much closer to pure perfection. Talking to the bartender, BrewDog seems to be playing with the recipe. I hope they keep this one. Otherwise, my review is consistent with the last Scottish bottle I drank:

Pours a beautiful cloudy straw towards golden: the color of clover honey. Half inch bone-white head streaks the glass. Lingering head.

Smell is wonderfully fruity: unripe guava and tropical fruit with pineapple, grapefruit and pine. Fruit is forefront. This fruit is what's missing from my US bottles.

Nicely medium-bodied and assertively drying; ends long and slow, unfolding through tropical fruit esters, then grapefruit, pine, and finally bitter dryness. Overall, this fresh bottle is wonderfully rich and complex: I'll be looking for an opportunity to enjoy it on tap. (Dare I hope for nitro somewhere?)

I'm enjoying this Punk from the bottle in Scotland, so I feel lucky. Had a couple before I left the states trying to make this very comparison. Here's my quandary: is this hoppier to me in comparison because British beer tends to be sweeter and have less alcohol, or does something happen in transit? It takes time, certainly, but this beer is richly hoppy and complex, and I just don't remember the taste being so vibrant in the US. We might never know, but it's worth putting it out there, methinks.

06-22-2011 19:41:19 | More by salvo
jonb5

United Kingdom (England)

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Half pint from the Market Porter. Small head, very cloudy, only the bottom is transparent. Mangos dominate the smell, there are also some flowers there. Mango dominates the taste of this beer, definate curry in the aftertaste. This is a beer with serious hop content, at least for european standards. It's a sipper rather than one to chug. Good.

04-07-2011 15:17:42 | More by jonb5
titosupertramp

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Had on tap at the Holyrood 9A in Edinburgh.

A: Golden orange with thin white head..not a lot of lacing. Normally, I'd give this a lower score, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since this was in a bar and poured into a normal pint glass.

S: It's always hard for me to pickup smells in a bar, but the tropical/citrus hops are unmistakable. As the beer warms, you get quite a lot of caramel as well. Very enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose. Mango, orange, caramel. The caramel sweetness really helps to balance out the bitterness.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: I drank a couple of these in one sitting and could have easily drank a few more. Very good IPA.

02-27-2011 03:44:08 | More by titosupertramp
glid02

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy golden-copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of light citrus and floral hops. Also present are slightly bready pale malts and lighter leafy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Muted pale malt flavors with a decent amount of yeast-like breadiness kick things off. Joining in almost immediately are large amounts of citrus - half lemon pith, a quarter orange, and a quarter grapefruit. Midway through the sip hints of leafy hop flavors work their way into things and carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this was a very distinctive IPA, I can't remember the last time I had one with such sharp citrus hop flavors. Nothing special that's worth seeking out but if you see it around it's worth trying if for no other reason than how distinctive it is.

11-19-2010 02:51:40 | More by glid02
DeanMoriarty

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem at BeerTemple in Amsterdam, on-tap in a pint glass for 5.50 Euro. They had it listed on their beer board as a "Post Modern Classic Pale Ale".

A: Pours a fairly clean (especially for a European IPA) golden, slightly copper hue with a massive head and good lace.

S: Sweet and malty, bready yeast, sour fruit and a somewhat tame hop smell. The hop is nice, just somewhat dominated by the yeast and malt.

T: Luckily the hops are much more prevalent in the flavor than they are in the nose - grassy and resinous, somewhat floral and citrusy. The malt is there too but balances rather than dominates the overall flavor of this tasty IPA.

M: On the lighter side of a medium-bodied brew, with a mellow carbonation that really lends nicely to the creamy finish of this beer.

D: Extremely drinkable - this beer brought me back to BeerTemple in Amsterdam nearly every night for a couple to cap the night. I am a huge "hop head" and this brew definitely scratched my itch!

11-16-2010 19:04:00 | More by DeanMoriarty
AgentZero

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

A - Pours a cloudy orangish yellow with a one finger head that had nice retention and did stick to the sides in sheets.

S - Sweet malts mostly, smells slightly bready and also get some butter in there as well. Hops lean toward citrus, with a slightly resinous smell on the end of the nose.

T - Thin and empty taste, almost like diet sodaish in its empty quality. Bready malt backbone, the hops come through a bit sugary on the end, with a slight bite of skunked or chemical taste. Not a fan of this, got worse as I went.

M - Medium bodied and quite creamy.

D - This beer isn't super hard to get down, but I don't really like it and toward the end the taste was crappy enough I had trouble finishing my glass. I'd say it's average, better than most macros but that's one of the few things I'd drink this over.

10-10-2010 21:24:43 | More by AgentZero
boss302

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Brew Dog Punk IPA, draft

A Golden deep yellow, clear, nice head. Head didn't last and was gone at half glass, typical of IPAs. 4

S Earthy, a little piney, some tobacco aroma. Not sure where that comes from. 3.5

T Malty, with appropriate hop balance for an IPA. It's a little astringent in the finish. A bit like grapefruit, stings the tongue. 4

M Medium body, thick on the tongue, good carbonation. 4

D A good IPA, a little astringent compared to most IPAs. 4

08-25-2010 02:56:41 | More by boss302
brentk56

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear goldenrod color topped by a wispy head that sticks well; sheets of lace, too

Smell: More biscuity than hoppy, at first, though subsequent sniffs provide better citrus and tropical fruit definition

Taste: Fortunately, the taste moves this firmly into IPA territory as it opens with a biscuity flavor that is quickly superseded by the pithy citrus hops (orange and pineapple elements); after the swallow, the pithy character remains paramount, though the biscuit, which never totally disappeared, remains apparent through the finish; there is also a vinous edge to the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I ordered this with a little trepidation but found it to be an excellent, middle of the road AIPA; I particularly like the way the malt takes a back seat to the hops but hangs in underneath throughout; there is also a lot of interesting complexity to the hop bill

08-16-2010 23:19:09 | More by brentk56
jampics2

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. Served in a pint glass.

Looks decent - a cloudy straw color with nice head.

Smell is dull with minimum hops and more of an english malty smell. Just average.

Taste is full of more of a residual bitterness that I like in my American IPA's. Not too floral or perfumy, more of a lingering bitterness from boil hops.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a nice carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall, the beer is good but not the kinds of flavors I love. It's got some punk elements, but I'm just putting this in the middle of the pack at best. Not an american IPA I'd try again.

07-23-2010 18:31:02 | More by jampics2
BARFLYB

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at the Hulmeville Inn for Philly Beer Week, I love this city. There is no way I would of chanced this with a bottle, so the tap it is.

A crisp bright olympic gold medal in appearance with some slight haze. Rising bubbles within the body and a nice clump of white stuff on top creating sheets of lace going down. Smells include a maltier than hoppy IPA from the long voyage. Hops seem earthy with a touch of citrus including pineapple. A hint of bubblegum and malt extract. Taste includes the pineapple and a small amount of pine, very muted, not bitter. The malt gives off biscuit and bubblegum. There is a sweetness. Some grass and a touch of metsl. Light bodied in nature, a small bitter bite in the middle barely nothing, a malty sweet finish. Carb is up there though, very active. If this was at a bar at a good price I would drink it, but I won't go seeking it out though. The Brewdog guys seem to be on the right track for this style. With a little tweaking and quicker shipping this could be something, for now it's just another IPA.

06-15-2010 03:09:02 | More by BARFLYB
Gavage

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: slightly hazy light orange in color with a 2" head. Moderate lace develops.

Smell: lemon zest, mild bitterness, and some soft caramel tones are easy to detect.

Taste: caramel, lemon zest, bits of grapefruit, golden apple sweetness, and a moderate bitterness makes up a well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, lighlty crisp and a bit dry at the finish.

Drinkability: this is nice IPA you can quaff all night long. Definitely worthy of a try.

06-11-2010 12:19:53 | More by Gavage
drabmuh

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Beer on draft at a local beer bar. Beer is yellow and really hazy for an IPA. Bith white head of small and medium bubbles and the head leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks pretty good.

Aroma is sweet and piny hops. Smells like a great IPA.

This is quite good for an IPA. James told me that they weren't going for a West Coast IPA with it but they are pretty close. The malt character is light and the hop character is clearly the star. There are nice citrus and pine flavors and strong growing bitterness at the back of the mouth. Overall nice.

06-10-2010 19:39:09 | More by drabmuh
snogglethorpe

Japan

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

An attractive foamy and thick appearance, and an equally nice thick and foamy mouthfeel. The texture is one of the best things about this beer. The head dissipates after a while, but the remnants keep that foamy appearance (instead of looking lacy or whatever).

The smell isn't all that noticeable, it's obviously an IPA, but not in your face.

At first the taste is an interesting mixture of sweet caramel and somewhat delicate but still fairly up-front hop bitterness. Despite being labeled an American IPA, there's not so much of a citrus or piney character. After a while, however, the hoppiness fades, and the taste changes to a fruity sweetness, kind of like pineapple, and that's the taste one is left with.

Kind of interesting, and definitely drinkable and refreshing, but maybe a little too sweet for someone that's into American IPAs. Worth a try just to experience the lovely mouthfeel though.

06-05-2010 14:00:57 | More by snogglethorpe
wedgie9

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -9%

On draft at Delilah's. Pours pale golden with a fluffy white and long-lasting head. Nose of bitter hops and citrus including grapefruit and orange. Fairly light on the front of the palate with some lemon. The grapefruit and bitter hops dominate the back of the palate. There is something slightly metallic on the middle palate as well. The carbonation is very lively with an oily, coating body. The finish is long with bitter hops. This is a classic IPA.

05-12-2010 05:11:48 | More by wedgie9
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Pours a hazy light orange with a finger of extremely creamy, off-white foam on top; good retention and a bit of lace.

S: Very fresh floral hops come first, followed by some pronouncedly fruity esters and a bit of lightly sweet pale malt aroma toward the end. Nothing earth-shattering, but a mellow and pleasant-smelling IPA.

T: Follows the nose almost precisely, with a huge emphasis on the richly fruity esters in the middle; malt towards the finish, and a very bitter, clean aftertaste. Pretty solid, although not as hoppy as I would like.

M: Light-to-medium body with smooth, moderate carbonation. Not bad at all.

D: Very smooth, and just enough of a dry bitter finish to be fairly crisp as well.

Notes: This was my first experience with a BrewDog-only offering (I enjoyed Bashah quite a bit, though), and I pretty much got what I expected - a perfectly serviceable, fairly distinctive IPA. Nothing much to say about it, other than that it definitely is worth drinking, but not for what they charge.

Cheers!