Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Tasted April 30th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip

A - rusty champagne, one finger white head and minimal lacing

S - malty, almost sour smelling, sharp hops, yeast, wheat and some fresh cut grass

T - slight resin, pine, floral and citrus hops, bitter malt, very pungent with hops and malt. No sweetness at all

M - very dry, carbonated and long finish. Very bitter

D - drinks like a European style IPA. Nice but not excellent

Final thought - If you love european IPA. This one is for you. Price isn't awesome though

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

The bottle says batch 462 and that it expires 18/12/10, which I am assuming is December of 2010...so this beer is about 5 months expired. Since it is an IPA, they are designed to age in barrels originally, so I doubt that this has hurt the beer too badly. Let's find out:

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow gold color with a 1/2" of creamy white foam on top after a pretty quick pour. There are numerous bubbles rising to maintain the head, so it doesn't look that much different after a minute. There is some solid chunks of lace left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: The aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but this isn't a bad thing. My first impression was that there was a subtle funkiness going on here, but a few seconds later, there was some lemon zest and some crusty bread aromatics, but it is a bit reserved in the cold beer. I don't really pick up the wild character anymore unless it is a subtle leather from Brett or something, but it is mixing into the blend well. Again, the aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but we don't get many IPAs outside of The States, so I guess this can be expected.

Taste: The flavor has much more hop presence than the aroma suggested. There are lots of bittering hops in here that hit your palate quickly...while the flavoring hops are still there, and this obscures the malt impression. The finish is quite dry and hoppy, and the water is playing on the hops too, to make the beer feel drier in the finish. The carbonation being high and the body medium causes the beer to further alienate itself from your palate.

Opinion: Well, I have liked a lot of other BrewDog products better than this one, but it may really appeal to a hop-head. The bittering are too overdone in this beer for my taste, and to top it off, there are some unusual hops used to get there, so the taste left on your palate is foreign (no pun intended). I will drink the other three in the 4-pack that I got, but I won't be coming back to this one anytime soon.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark orange/almost amber color with minimal amount of quickly dissipating head. Armoma is of citrusy hops, maybe a little piney. Mouthfeel is medium bodies, very carbonated. Taste is very dry, which I like, but not very flavorful: tastes of yeast, hops, grassy, some bitternes. This is not a great IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

I am clearly a victim of marketing. After I heard about Tactical Nuclear Penguin, I've wanted to try it. When I heard the cost, I decided to settle on something else from Brew Dog. I'm not big on IPAs but this and the Hardcore IPA are the only two I've found locally. Might as well give it a shot!

Appearance: A light golden yellow color, good white head that dissipates fast and leaves good lacing

Smell: Biscuity malt, piney, resinous and citrus hops

Taste: Resinous hops hit the palate first, followed by some pine and citrus, with a biscuity malt finish. Some spice to it too. A respectable level of bitterness, but not overdone. Not the most balanced, but balanced enough for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation, feels appropriate for the beer.

Overall: A highly respectable IPA. Not the best, not the worst, but certainly is an excellent choice, especially if you are in the UK and it will be fresher than whatever American IPAs are available. I was expected this to be more in your face, but was pleasantly surprised. If I find other beers from Brew Dog, I will certainly try them.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

426th review on BA
Bottle to pint
500 ml

App- A very cloudy orange with a few yellow highlights. A very bubbly and frothy head. A one and a half finger head. Not much cling.

Smell- A little bit of a mix of light pine with some earthy notes and some fresh citrus. A little fresh grapefruit with mangos maybe some tangerine. My nose is a bit off today.

Taste- A very spicy IPA. The hops really shine through and are pretty well balanced by the slight malts I get.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a spicy pine aftertaste.

Drink- A good IPA but needed to be a bit more balanced IMO. A great rep from across the pond for our American tastes.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Got this from SuperNova777 for winning a beer poker league tourney. Thanks buddy!

Pours a golden color with a nice big light beige head on it with some good lacing as well.

Smell is light with a slight hop aroma to go along with the citrus.

Taste is not as hoppy as I'd expect, it's good though. Nice bitter finish on this well balanced beer.

Light bodied beer that goes down smooth and easy.

Really good tasting beer. Glad I got a chance to try it. I've never seen it in the stores I've been to bud I'd definitely drink it again.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

12 ozer into a tulip.

A - A hazy opaque golden color of a body. The head is very resiliant and sticky. Pure white with the consistency of whipped egg whites in some places.

S - Not a ton going on, but there is some nice soft mild hops with light citrus leaning towards fruity notes.

T & M - This IPA is medium bodied with a slight level of carbination. Very light taste which is crisp and refreshing with a good light hop bitterness and mild citrus fruit notes. I also notice a slight chewyness on the back end of this beer that linger a little on the palate.

O - A nice fresh crisp IPA with a little attitude. Good beer but it is pushing the price tag limit. I would try one for sure.

-Cheers

Drank my first ever can of the new Punk IPA against the bottle to compare. The can had a BB Date of 24 Dec 11 making it two and and half months older. Both poured into its own identical high tumbler

Obviously similar to the bottle in appearance but the can has put forward a clearer more sparkling looking beer with a pretty fresh aroma. Somewhat thinner in body too but the backbone and slight carbonation seems to support it better making it more rounded and supportive of the flavour. Again, ginger at the end after some fairly reasonable bitterness. This sure seems fresher.
Not bad at all. Certainly merits the B+

Round one to the can. Looks like I'll need to buy some more!

3.2/5  rDev -16%

A: Golden, hazy colour, with a foamy, thick head. Good head retention, leaves a fine lacing.

S: Tropical citrus fruits are most prominent, but a floral, conifer-like hoppiness is also more than noticeable.

T: Hops galore! A strong initial bitterness fades into grass and grapefruit. Very dry, with a lingering, bitter aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and a bit too dry. Good carbonation.

O: The bitter, cumulative aftertaste takes away from the drinkability, but it works well as the odd bottle. The hop profile might not be everyone's cup of tea, though.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

I picked this up today at Monument Wines and Spirits.

Appearance- golden color, thick foamy head

Smell- very nice aroma, citrus, piney hops

Taste- a little bit of a bitter hop bite, pretty good, some malt in there too

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, very refreshing

Drinkability- very good, I was very impressed.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a soft gloden color that thins out as you go down the bottle. Had a soft bread-looking head on top that dissipated into an oily white.

Smells wonderful! This brew has a caramel and grapefruit nose that is deep and fulfilling.

What a hop monster! This guy is all bitter, which is awesome imo.It's very light, not much of a malty backbone, and has a piney flavor of hops. It's good, but it's not as complex as some other US IPA's.

Overall, this is a brew that I'd order if I was at the pub, but isn't one that I would buy a case of. Not bad, not amazing.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is slightly hazy, golden, a white head that leaves little lacing.

The smell is citric and floral, grape-fruit with pine resin.

The brew has an initial caramel sweetness, then freshly squeezed grape-fruit juice, pine needles and resin.

Medium carbonation, small bubbles, soft, a medium body, a dry finish.

This version is very clean and nice, better balanced and more enjoyable - for me.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance:

Pale (well it should be). Hazy. Too weak head for an IPA, at least according to my tastes. 3.0.

Smell: Tones of grass, clay, a hint of conifer trees and citrus fruits. Overall very pleasant and heartwarming.

Taste: See smell. Tastes a little worse than it smells though. Slightly too bitter and sour for my tastes.

Mouthfeel: Enjoyable, fresh, refreshing. Very good. No bad aftertastes.

Overall: I recommend this beer, simply put a quality Pale Ale it is.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Can@Home

Apperance: Golden orange witha huge, airy, head and lots of sticky lacing.

Smell: Caramel, Citric notes, Tropical fruits, Hint of pine and malt.

Taste: Tropical fruits, Hint of marmalade, Peach, Hint of malt, Pine.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and dry with a medium bitterness at the end. More balanced than the old recepie.

A very drinkable APA/IPA and pretty good one at that. I'd prefer a bit more agressive hopping but this will do nicely as a lighter hopfix during the warmer months.

I found this beer to be kind of weak BrewDog. I was hoping for something more I guess with this, but I suppose they saved that for the Hardcore IPA. This beer is golden yellow in color and has a nice solid head on it. The smell was nice a hoppy which made me really excited for the first taste. The taste however is a little bit on the lighter side, almost too light for an IPA. The other flavors in it were some hints of earth and malts. The mouthfeel was bubbly and refreshingly light. I'd like a little more hops here but there are Imperials and Doubles for that.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Half pint from the Market Porter. Small head, very cloudy, only the bottom is transparent. Mangos dominate the smell, there are also some flowers there. Mango dominates the taste of this beer, definate curry in the aftertaste. This is a beer with serious hop content, at least for european standards. It's a sipper rather than one to chug. Good.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Impressive off-white head. Lots of stringy lace. Head recedes in a lumpy fashion. The brew is golden with the lightest of hazes.

I reminded of the hop pellets I have used for my home brews. It is a smell I truly love.

Great pale malt start that quickly succumbs to the hop bomb. Far more balanced than the last sentence indicates. Good body with a low level of carbonation. Overall, a bitter beer with a long aftertaste

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Teasie bought a 4 pack of these on her way home from work. Gotta love Justin Lill's!
Poured into a goblet, hazy bright yellow colour, tall stark white foamy head that takes a long time to drop whilst drinking.
First aroma had very little hop to start with, mostly grainy and bready. I let the Punk warm up as I watched the kids play, and then the mild hop aroma came through. Citrus, grapefruit, kiwi and the like, not as hoppy on the nose as I'd have expected seeing these Scots are so full on with their hopping on their vlogs, more a pale than an IPA.
Taste was good, malty, clean, a hint of yeast, then bitterness and hoppiness, balanced, but not too extreme. Finishes dry, which I like, carries on the bitterness well.
Medium body.
Overall, a great beer, but not an awesome IPA, I'm not sure if it's just me, am I too underwhelmed when it come to hoppy beers, do I expect too much? I dunno. I'd still be up for another four.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer, great flavor, too pricey to be my everyday beer, but I wish it could be.

Appearance: hazy yellow orange with a white head leaving white lacing.

Smell: Strong Citrus aroma with hints of caramel

Taste: Not quite as bitter as the California IPA's but still distinct hop flavors along with citrus and tropical fruit flavors, biscuit notes linger past the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, Little alcohol essence, very drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy deep yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, a mellow mixture of citrus and pine. In the taste, mellow pine hops upfront and a gingerbread like maltiness backing that up. A small hop bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry mellow pine hop in the aftertaste. A bit thin, not extremely hoppy, almost like a pale, but it is nice.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Lighter than I expected it to be, with a rich, thick head. Bit cloudy.

S: No floral/hoppy smell in my nose that I would expect with a Pale Ale. Mostly malt smell.

T: Pretty balanced, initially, with a bitterness that sits on the tongue and increases with time.

M: Balanced mouthfeel. It feels light and refreshing.

Overall, just not really enjoying this. I expected big flavors from BrewDog for an IPA, and this didn't deliver. Setting aside my expectations, it is enjoyable but not an amazing beer. Just about average. It doesn't do much to stand out, which isn't a bad thing, but not a beer I would purchase again.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a cloudy gold, with a luxurious white foam. Thick and detailed lace. Definitely points for presentation!

Nice hoppy aroma...mild, but it's there.

Flavor is piney, citrus...Nice sharpness, though nothing over the top. Hop-heads may not be too interested, but this is really a solid and tasty IPA that I'd repeat again, if it weren't so expensive!

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-Nice golden yellow colour with a nice thick head

S-Smells of lemon and grapefruit

T-Very nice hop flavours, lemon, grapefruit. With hints of floral. behind all the hops I get toffee and biscuit poking through.

M-Medium to low carbonation

D-Very drinkable goes down smooth with lots of flavour flowing over you tongue

Definitely will be buying more of this next time I see it

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours with one finger of bone-white head on top of a hazy, dark copper colored body. The foam sticks around for quite a while before settling out and leaving moderate lace behind.

S - A strong lemony aroma with notes of black pepper and grapefruit. Some bready malt hiding in the background with just a hint of toffee.

T - Sweet grapefruit hops up front with a bready note of toffee. More juicy grapefruit comes out in the middle with a hint of orange and some pithy bitterness. The beer finishes with lots of rich, toffee malt and grapefruit juice as well as strong, sharp bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - This is quite a distinctive take on an American IPA. The grapefruit hop character is strong and very convincing with a seedy, pithy quality to the bitterness that reinforces the impression. There is more than a little bit of malt in the background lots of toffee that adds depth over and above the hops. It is very well balanced in the finish with a sweetness that keeps the bitterness in check. I am quite impressed with this one, Brewdog is very much a hit and miss brewery, but this beer is right on the mark.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

11.2 oz poured into my new Piraat tulip, a birthday gift from five points bottle shop. The IPA was my gift to myself.

The beer pours a light orange/ yellow color that bubbles up quickly with two fingers of thick bubbly head. The lacing is nice as the head fades. A pretty good looking beer. The smell is resinous hops with a strong musky damp basement scent and a large tart fruit aspect as well. Smells like an IPA closer to the DIPA, but still not as strong as many of the DIPAs I've smelled.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is hoppy, and very bitter. The first thing and last thing about this is bitter hops. An herbal, pine flavor is the dominate aspect, with a citrus flavor riding just underneath. There almost no hop or malt sweetness coming through here. The more I drink it the more pronounced the other hop aspects become, but as of now this a kind of an unbalanced bitter bomb, but considering the ABV and malt profile, it doesn't over do it. It simply comes close to over doing it. The mouth feel is fine and the drinkability suffers because of the bitterness. I think if brewdog had shot for a bit more balance and complexity in the hop profile, this would be an absolutely stellar IPA.

Punk IPA from BrewDog