Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother fucker of a pale ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg bopping around India and the sub continent. Quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist.

God save the Queen and all who sail in her. Raising a Stiff Little Finger to IPAs that have come before and those it is yet to meet.
Turn up the volume Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, fucked up outlaw elite.

Never Mind the Bollocks this is the real shit.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a clear solid deep golden color with a full two finger creamy bright white head that sticks itself to everything on the way down. First pop of the cap I thought I smelled sewage coming from the bottle, but after I poured into my glass I couldn't find that aroma again thank you jebus. The nose gives off lots of spicy pine, a hint of lemon, light caramel, sweet candied sugary malt with a bit of a grainy edge. The taste is bitter, pine and resinous bitterness consume and conquer every taste bud I can muster. Slightly sweet caramel and malt try their best to balance, but wither under the sword of the almighty Humulus. Relatively dry finish with a lingering resinous bitterness. Light to medium body, resinous, dry mouthfeel, medium level of carbonation. This is a decent IPA, I would have loved some more aroma hops personally as I think the aroma is bit lacking. No shortage of bitter hops in this brew.

johnnnniee, Jun 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: slightly hazy light orange in color with a 2" head. Moderate lace develops.

Smell: lemon zest, mild bitterness, and some soft caramel tones are easy to detect.

Taste: caramel, lemon zest, bits of grapefruit, golden apple sweetness, and a moderate bitterness makes up a well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, lighlty crisp and a bit dry at the finish.

Drinkability: this is nice IPA you can quaff all night long. Definitely worthy of a try.

Gavage, Jun 11, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

You ever take the first sip of a new beer, only to suddenly discover just how thirsty you were, and you start chugging it, and it's so good? That's what happened here.

I swear I'm not TRYING to be UK biased, but I like this more than most of the American-brewed American IPAs I've had recently.

Love the hazy look, and the soft white head, that lasts at least to some extent for the whole time.

Taste is perfectly balanced, with a suggestion of grapefruit. And I love grapefruit.

Overall there is something "soft" about this beer that I really enjoy.

Also, I am fond of the packaging.

dionisio, Jun 11, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Beer on draft at a local beer bar. Beer is yellow and really hazy for an IPA. Bith white head of small and medium bubbles and the head leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks pretty good.

Aroma is sweet and piny hops. Smells like a great IPA.

This is quite good for an IPA. James told me that they weren't going for a West Coast IPA with it but they are pretty close. The malt character is light and the hop character is clearly the star. There are nice citrus and pine flavors and strong growing bitterness at the back of the mouth. Overall nice.

drabmuh, Jun 10, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

An attractive foamy and thick appearance, and an equally nice thick and foamy mouthfeel. The texture is one of the best things about this beer. The head dissipates after a while, but the remnants keep that foamy appearance (instead of looking lacy or whatever).

The smell isn't all that noticeable, it's obviously an IPA, but not in your face.

At first the taste is an interesting mixture of sweet caramel and somewhat delicate but still fairly up-front hop bitterness. Despite being labeled an American IPA, there's not so much of a citrus or piney character. After a while, however, the hoppiness fades, and the taste changes to a fruity sweetness, kind of like pineapple, and that's the taste one is left with.

Kind of interesting, and definitely drinkable and refreshing, but maybe a little too sweet for someone that's into American IPAs. Worth a try just to experience the lovely mouthfeel though.

snogglethorpe, Jun 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours a very attractive yellow colour with a generous head. 4

S: Earthy hops, a bit like something like Spitfire (but not skunked like I think the Spitfire I had was, because it was undrinkable). There's also a few flowers and honey-malt in there. 4

T: Nuts, bitterness. At first I'm thinking: it is kind of bitter but I'm honestly underwhelmed, I expected more from an American style IPA, I get about the same amount of bitterness from Mac's Hop Rocker Pilsener (in retrospect this beer is probably substantially more bitter). I don't think I like these Earthy hops that much either, I would definitely opt for the floral, citrusy hops of Little Creatures' or Redoak's IPA. But then I notice the bitterness on the end of the palate accumulates after each sip and is actually very wholesome, leading to a nice aftertaste. Bit of malt in there too. 4

M: The carbonation is really right on the money. 5

D: Really quite good, but considering the alcohol and price has to be a 4.

I find myself liking this beer quite a lot but I'd prefer if the hops were less earthy. Oh well. This is satisfying based on my limited Australian experience with American IPAs (I'm pretty sure this is actually my first). But yer, I definitely enjoyed this one and really wish there were more beers with this or greater amounts of hoppiness readily available in Australia.

Daniell, Jun 04, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had several interesting encounters with this brewery. Therefore I wanted to try this one too, as I've heard some good things about it.

Clear dark golden, good carbonation, good creamy head and lacing.

Smell of hops, pine, grapefruits.
Taste is bitterness from a lot of hops indeed. Powerfull stuff, that leaves no room for any malty or fruity sweetness at all.
Bitter aftertaste too.

A demanding brew again. For hopheads it's a great experience.
Brewdog beer drinking seems to be extreme experience every time. This punk ipa, allthough quite normal % abv, isn't average by any means.

RuudJH, Jun 01, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear yellow amber color with an average off-white cover and decent lacing. The aroma is malty grain, sort of karo syrup bread. Hops are not evident. The flavor says lots more malt and yeast. Pretty intense but the hops seem to be a muted grassy kiss at best. It's easily medium bodied with almost cask brewed sort of carbonation. A bit dishwatery. The hops seem to build a bit more notable and likeable. Fairly drinkable but this might be a little less than great to a lot of folks. I find it OK. Reading some of the other reviews makes me wonder if this is the same beer.

Durge, May 31, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Had poured from a bottle at Novare Res in Portland, Maine on May 2, 2010.

Suggested by bartender when they were out of Dogfish Head 90. My first BrewDog brew.

Dark (cloudy) gold color. Big smells of citrus.

Super grapefruity, strong hop structure but not overly bitter.

Great drinkability.

Everything you'd expect from a quality IPA.

bceagles39, May 21, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -15%

I went into this a little skeptical considering it's an English IPA (haven't been too fond of the ones I've had so far). The color is somewhat clear and slightly golden. The head is very bubbly like a lager of some sort (not very full or frothy). The smell is bitter with a hint of sweetness...not that American hop smell I'm used to. The taste is not bad...but it's not great either. I think someone who really enjoys non-American IPAs would be better suited to rate this beer. I don't think I would buy this again, but I respect it for what it is.

DovaliHops, May 14, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

On draft at Delilah's. Pours pale golden with a fluffy white and long-lasting head. Nose of bitter hops and citrus including grapefruit and orange. Fairly light on the front of the palate with some lemon. The grapefruit and bitter hops dominate the back of the palate. There is something slightly metallic on the middle palate as well. The carbonation is very lively with an oily, coating body. The finish is long with bitter hops. This is a classic IPA.

wedgie9, May 12, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

At brew on quay, in Auckland.

Appearance: Somewhat hazy golden color, uninspired one finger head leaves some lacing on the glass as it subsides. Label rips off arrogant bastard, deriding the drinker and proclaiming the beer's superiority

smell: given the arrogance of the label, actual aroma is disappointingly mild. Hops are discernible but not "aggressive"

taste: confirms my growing conviction that no Aggressively hopped American-style IPAs are brewed
anywhere on the British isles. Better than the nose, with a well-balanced bitterness that suggests pine needles. Still, when you brag that much on the label you had best be prepared to back it up and this falls short

mouthfeel & drinkability: medium body and moderrate carbonation. Drinkability is good.

hunteraw, May 08, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Great website from the BrewDog crew. It should be a requirement to view their video as you consume their beer.

Pint glass pour and I am met with a hazy straw colored ale with a cream colored foamy head and major lacing. The aroma consists of malts in the forefront and some nice honey, biscuit and orange rind in the mix. The taste is interesting and unique. A nice citrus splash followed by an intensely BITTER swallow and aftertaste. Even though it is very bitter and different than the "normal" IPA's, I find myself drinking more of it to figure out this unique brew. Full bodied mouthfeel. Almost like a meal in your mouth. Drinkability I game somewhat lower due to the pallet heavy taste. This would go great with a spicy dish or noshing on some pretzels that make you thirsty. Interesting and worthy of a try.

kaseydad, Apr 29, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into my Isle of Arran imperial pint glass a clear light golden with a fluffy two finger craterous white head that clung like glue to the glass never completely subsides.English malt and floral hop aromas,biscuity with a tinge of iron.Not nearly as brash as the label might tell you but its a decent English IPA,its floral and leafy in its hoppiness,full on biscuit/caramel malt pretty much keeps this beer even in its hop to malt ratio on the palate.Its a nice beer not a big American IPA in style more of a slightly more brash English IPA.

oberon, Apr 28, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Comes in a tiny 330 ml bottle with some rather silly blurb printed on the label which can hardly endear the beer to a casual customer.
I was expecting something much more spectacular but it really fights well below its weight.It's got a fair hoppiness and bitterness about it but no more than many other UK IPAs (and even a few UK beers not marketed as IPAs) and at 6% I expected a stronger backbone to the beer.
I spend a lot of time praising and supporting the British brewing industry and wish that Brewdog would match their words with deeds and become what they claim to be.They don't lack ideas at all.

marquis, Apr 23, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Looks like a blonde ale as its poured and the smell is on the weak side. Not off to a good start.

Hmmmm I think the Scotts got it wrong with this brew. Its nowhere near an American IPA. Rather this is more of a slightly spiced pale ale at best. Crispy mouthfeel with no resinous texture at all. Sharp carbonation. This is sessionable as its right down the middle without much edge.

Notes: I'll pass for the price as there are much better options without the import charge.

DogFood11, Apr 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Cloudy, pale gold in color, with a big billowy, eggshell-white head of foam
Aroma-Citrus, earthy hop notes
Taste-Big onrush of bitter hops, subtle citrus notes and a citrus-rind, lingering bitter finish. Earthy hops in the background-Taste belies pale appearance- full on resinous hops throughout, with bread and biscuit notes.
Overall, complex, snappy and full of character. Reminds me of a Victory Hop Wallop in its pale color and big hop flavor. Very nice.

hosehead83, Apr 04, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Stopped in at the Pub in Pembroke Pines and they had this on cask.

Glassware - Small snifter

Appearance - Pours a hazy amber color, one of the most beautiful colors I've ever seen in a beer. Had a solid foam of white head that was about 3/4″ high on top with very tight bubbles. Very nice stringy lacing down the whole glass.

Nose - Smell is soft and herbal, very spicy noble and british hops. This is classified as an American IPA on BA but I'm not sure I agree with that. Everything about this made me think English IPA. The hops were clean and herbal, not slightly harsh or citrusy.

Taste - Very piney with a nice herbal touch, it feels like I'm drinking the woods. Starting to see why this could be an American IPA but it really doesn't have the citrus/fruit character I expect in one. It is really really tasty however.

Mouthfeel - Soft, smooth, creamy. Cask-conditioned smoothness.

Overall - Very easy to drink and its great on this hot and humid day.

mullenite, Apr 03, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a pint bottle into a pint glass.

A- Poured a orangish yellowe color with a small head that disappears rather quickly. Lacing is less than desirable but at least somewhat seen.

S- Bitter hop oil laced with citrus and a malty sweetness. Decent balance, could be a little stronger though.

T- Slight bitterness from hops, but not as strong and full as one would like. The back end provides a little more of the hop taste, but still not enough. Citrus especially lemon, grapefruit, and maybe even a little bit of orange is added to the fold. All together, the taste isn't exciting, very aspect seems to be more subdued than need be.

M- Thin mouthfeel, nice for a warm day. Lacks carbonation that surely takes away from the experience.

D- Can drink this, but don't know if I would like to grab another bottle of this.

All in all, if you want an I.P.A. I would suggest going with a fresher American I.P.A. that packs a bigger hop punch.

Lolli1315, Apr 02, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Hazy weak gold pour. No head. None. Nice lacing developing, though.

Nose is very weak for as much as I was anticipating this beer. Grapefruit, esters, and a tad bit of pine resin finish it out. Not easy to pick things out, though.

Very thin, almost watery hit. Hop flavor comes in midway through, but weak. Mild citrus taste and slightly oily. Finishes with some nice bitters, though.

Feel is thinner than expected.

Ok to drink, but nothing special. Worth a try, though.

beer2day, Mar 29, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Single bottle (best by 12/18/10) poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Hazy straw yellow with plenty of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom. Poured a 1/2" thick white foam that died down to a persistent 1/4" head. Crazy lacing all over the glass - kinda messy there's so much of it, but I'm enjoying looking at it.

Smell: Hint of yeast, citrus (lemony) and earthy hops.

Taste: Strong bitterness up front - hoppy. Some grapefruit towards the end of the bitterness. Chalky finish and aftertaste in the mouth. It's too unbalanced towards the bitterness....and yet I like it.

Mouthfeel: Just right carbonation on the tongue, goes down real easy and coats the whole throat and doesn't linger. Not too thick, not too watery.

Drinkability: While I'm glad I tried it, towards the end the bitterness gets to be too much. So I finished it, but I cannot reach for another one. I'd have to pair this with the right meal to have it again - too strong in bitterness for me to have as a stand alone.

damndirtyape, Mar 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a very pleasant and well hopped American style IPA from the great brewers from Brewdog. The taste is dominated by the hop bitterness, true to the style. It is reminiscent of the Victory's Hop Devil, albeit not as insanely hopped, which adds points to drinkability. A great starter bear if hops is your treat.

Kristing, Mar 27, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A quality UK IPA with an American accent.
A hell of a drinkable brew. Very aromatic and heaps cooler than so many UK beers that are 5% bitters called IPA for kudos.
I agree with the reviewer Brent bellow, the bottle blurb is a bit of a Stone Arrogant Bastard steal.

. The ale is very pale/golden and resembles a Pilsener , with foam from some rave as it beer head.

Nose is aromatic and floral. Grass,pine and hop buds. Some fruit like mango and pineapple.

Very dry and raspy , with waves of bitter hops inprinting your tounge. Spicy and fruity, again with pineapple ester as the aroma. Its actually a bit brash and relentless on the bitterness.
This beer is meant to resemble an American IPA and so I'd add that they often have a syrupy ,sweet malt backbone, this quality is lacking in Punk IPA , and it could use it to give some ying 2 the yang. All in all though, I like this IPA . I drink it often & you should too.

GaryKing28, Mar 26, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Does anyone else think the blurb on the label about "this isn't your ordinary yellow beer" sounds an awful lot like a re-written Stone Arrogant Bastard label? Oh well, on to the beer . . .

Poured a slightly hazy yellow gold. No head even after a hard pour. Hops were fairly subdued, but my bottle was past the "best by" date, and I got the sense the would be brighter if it was fresh, so I won't penalize on that count. Interesting undercurrent in the malt - a touch of funkyness that faintly echoed a Belgian take on an IPA, but, at the same time touched on a Scottish peaty note. Overall, an interesting but not entirely engaging beer.

Brent, Mar 26, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

This is made with Chinook, Ahtanum and Nelson Sauvin hops. This poured a cloudy wheat yellow with very thick foam. It smelled of: funk, yeast, a hint of wet blanket and a ton of citrus. It tasted of a light honey, pine, grapefruit and it had a fantastic sweet to bitter ratio. Fantastic drinkability.

femALEist, Mar 25, 2010