Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
4.46/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer while I was in Scotland and I was pleased to find it on tap as I have wanted to try this beer for sometime. I made sure to take some notes as I wanted to remember what it tasted like when I returned home.

As a big fan of IPAs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer as I had some assumption it would let me down in some way. (mainly due to all the kudos it gets) In every catagory, this IPA excelled. The hop flavor was strong but not so much so that it was overpowering like some. It was extremely smooth for a for an IPA but still really hoppy. I also was pleased that the alchol content wasn't up in the 7's but it didn't taste weaker as I expected. No way to describe this beer other then pretty close to perfect for an IPA.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Golden and ruby colored, quite cloudy aswell. Medium carbonation and a rather small head. Looks really mystical and makes me just wanna taste it.

S - A little bit of floral hops, fruity malts with a dash of grapefruit.

T - First hops, but after a while the beer grows and i get a aroma of rhubarb and grapefruit. Carbonation works perfect with the taste and brings out the flavors.

M - Feels rather light and smooth in the mouth. Carbonation is perfect the first 5 min after you've opened the bottle, then tend to fade away.

O - A great beer, would work for smaller sessions and I would definitely recommend it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving was bottled & tap... in London, UK (Camden Town) and Edinburgh, UK. Bottled only in US (22oz)

This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had to date.

Everything about this beer, I like.

I wish they shipped more to the states. When I was living in the UK this was my go to. (4mo.) Most places I find around me do have this in usually a larger bottle but almost all are 2yrs+ !!! I don't know how places can sell this like that. ??

When fresh, this beer is badass.

I will always miss this beer and Brewdog.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%

From a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A-A normal pour produces about two fingers of sticky, off white head. The head retention is moderate and there is some nice, chunky lacing left behind on the glass. The brew is murky and light apricot in color.

S-This brew has a serious bouquet of pineapple, sage, pine, and mango hops. The hops certainly dominate here, but there is a bit of pale malty bread crust and grain underneath.

T-The taste, like the smell, displays a good bit of fruity hops, but the pineapple notes that I detected on the nose have been mostly muted in favor of more earthy, dank, and bitter flavors, and a bit of chalk and soap. There is still a bread crust malt base and the whole packages is pretty dry.

M-The feel is mildly oily and dry. The carbonation is fine, but noticeable on the palate as it fizzes around. The heft is medium.

O-This is the most American-like IPA I have had from a European brewer, and an enjoyable one at that. Big levels of citrusy/tropical hops and an American dose of bitterness make for a nice beer. The smell, while a bit disjointed, is especially impressive for a beer with only 5.6% ABV. Only when you take your first sip do you realize that you're not drinking a IIPA, but only a single IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured in pint glass. Medium white ehad that disappears quickly. Color is a cloudy drak straw.

Smell is quite faint at first. Mainly some grapefruit and toast. Later some fresh herbs too.

Taste starts quite light with toast, apples and a touch of lemon. Then there's a nice hit of hops with a light grapefruit touch. Then more toast, a hint of roasted nuts, almost burned sugar and a nice sour citrus (lemon).

Mouth is medium, a little dry with nice carbonation. I can drink this all day...

Overall this is very nice. Good complexity, and not just one huge element that jumps out at you, but very balanced. I seem to remember having had better ones though, contents of this bottle seem slightly lighter then others I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%