Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother fucker of a pale ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg bopping around India and the sub continent. Quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist.

God save the Queen and all who sail in her. Raising a Stiff Little Finger to IPAs that have come before and those it is yet to meet.
Turn up the volume Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, fucked up outlaw elite.

Never Mind the Bollocks this is the real shit.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Golden yellow colour, neutral smell, normal sized head. I bought a multi-pack of Brewdogs to sample and this is the last one. I would say that this is the best of the bunch. Although it is quite rough at first (reminded me of a Tenants Super I once drunk!) it soon settles down and is quite quaffable. I'd say it is not better than the market leading pale ales and for the price it is not worth the additional for me. However for a 5.6% beer it is surprising refined.

Rossi, Jun 03, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

this is a good beer -- it needs to be drunk really cold though. which for me makes it more like a lager than an ale. not quite an IPA.

pours a cloudy but translucent, deep, straw yellow with a good head that leaves some lacing on the glass. good frothy brew -- definitely well made. the smell is muted but does have a trace of citrusy hops and the malts lend a fine sweetness.

the first taste is very dry and bitter, but the beer does open up as you drink it and juicier textures and sweeter flavors come out. but predominantly it is dry with a pleasant bitter burn, slightly peppery. a fairly straight forward Pale Extra Bitter -- the yeast tastes lager to me -- and it makes this:

sort of an in-between but worth trying brew. would be good at the beach.

colforbin73, Jun 02, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: This has a real nice golden,hazy color to it. NIce white half inch head.

Smell: The smell is one of the reasons I buy this every so often. It has a very distinct light tropical smell to it with pineapple being the most dominant to me which makes it unique. It does have a slight sweet malt smell at the end as well.

Taste: This follows the nose in the tropical type of taste. There is some apricot and pineapple flavors followed by a little malt after taste. Very dry after taste and not much bitterness to speak of which again is nice and different.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation and quite thin in the mouth.

Overall: One of the reasons I like this is its a different IPA than most and not real typical. I like the unique smell and the dryness after taste to it. Its goes down damn easy and one beer that my fellow Scotts are putting a unique spin on. I like it as long as its fresh and brewdog does have bottle dating.

Rampage1, May 30, 2011
4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

330 ml bottle 5,6 % ABV
BBE 21-04-12

Appearance: Punk IPA pours with a beautiful golden-orange body and a really nice sized off white head that displays excellent retention and leaves great lace.

Smell: Wow, gotta love the smell off a fresh IPA.
Tropical fruit are immediately noted - pineapple and kiwi. This is followed be a great resiny pine aroma. As the beer warms the tropical fruit fades and the pine takes over along with grapefruit pith and a slightly dank note.

Taste: Immediate blast of wonderful piney hops. I really need to get hold of more IPA's. Grapefruit, floral notes and just a bit of caramel malt are also well noted.
The finish is superb, great lasting bitterness and hop flavour.

Mouthfeel: Just shy of a medium body with good crisp carbonation.

Overall: My first beer from Brewdog and I must say, I am very impressed. People moan about their hype and advertising etc. but if they brew good beer like this, who cares...

Thehuntmaster, May 28, 2011

A: golden yellow, great 2 finger white pillow, sexy lacing!

S: intoxicating orange jam, fresh summer pine, malt

T: sweet orange, firm malt, mild sticky pricky pine finish

M: med/light body, slight tongue prick, tad sticky

O: Another delicious exploration with my palate from Scotland.
Brew Dog continues to surprise me. What a splendid
powerhouse of a session brew! I know it's technically
not sessionable, but I want to gulp more and more.

AMAZING, GET SOME!

BeerLover99, May 24, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a pale orange with a one finger white head. Head sticks around for awhile. Looks nice

S- faint grassy hops...not a lot going on here. Weak

T- just like the nose...faint grassy hops. A slight kick of bitterness. Very faded and weak

M- body is at about even thickness...not much of a body to it, but it's not paper thin

O- I'd like to try one fresh, on tap. The ride across the ocean has killed the flavors...shame, because I can see there's a good IPA underneath here

bigfnjoe, May 24, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Reviewed from notes: thanks goes out to DeadTerry.

appearance: copper orange with a 1 finger head

smell: bread, bisquit, malts, little hops,

taste: very malty, some hop finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: definitely a beer I don't think is worth the hype or the money. Prefer to drink American IPA's they have more byte and hop flavor.

Cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, May 21, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

22.4 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden copper color. Big foamy white head, with visible carbonation.

Smell: Mellow citrus flavors and a fair amount of biscuit.

Taste: Nice orange flavors, a bit of lemon too. One of the more biscuit-y beers I've had too, particularly up-front. Some light, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and fairly light, with minimal carbonation.

Drinkability: Rather easy to drink.

One of the milder BrewDog beers that I've had. It is an enjoyable IPA, though nothing spectacular. I'm happy to say that it lacks the overly sweet/alcohol flavor that I've experienced in many other beers from this brewery.

mithrascruor, May 19, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

appearance: pours a pale yellow that is right on the verge of a light orange (it looks almost as if it is transforming in color), slightly hazy with moderate carbonation, white bubbly foam which reduces to similar lacing.

smell: hops are mild yet piney with and lightly floral, notes of citrus are also recognizable.

taste: mild yet with character, begins clean, with piney-ness of hops coming out first, but the floral notes are just as notable, again with notes of citrus undertones, the combination of which leaves a tangy-bittersweetness in the finish.

drinkability: for a basic IPA, all of the elements are on-point and complement each other well, abv is adequate enough and not too overpowering as to bar one from enjoying more than one, very drinkable.

weller1js, May 19, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

22 oz bottle

poured into a pint glass

Nose: Plenty of citrus and sweetness. You also get a nice floral bouquet on the forefront of this beer with hints of vanilla, grapefruit, and kiwi. Yum!

Palate: A balance of of hop and sweet malt. The fruit hits you from beginning to end but in balance with the hop. This beer is complex and intoxicating on the palate.

Finish: Long and amazing! Nice amount of hop and the fruit really shines as it goes down. A thirst quencher!

schmoopsbeer, May 18, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

*Just a side note: There was a weird bubble underneath the rubber in the bottle cap, nothing looked rusted or strange, just interesting because I have never seen that before, I believe it was strictly cosmetic and did not effect any of the characteristics of the beer.

A. Light amber in color, slight cloud of color difference when first poured. A tickle of head, and thats about it!

S. Slight malt, a little yeast and that my friends is about it.

T./M. I'm gonna go with a big blank, literally. There isn't much going on for an IPA here. Starts like a Pilsner in taste and feel ends on a very blank generic bitter. Almost tastes like a roasted barley after taste (not horrible, just completely underwhelming!)

Overall. You be the judge, but for the hype that this brewery receives, even though this is on the low end of their spectrum of beers, it is very unimpressive. Steer clear or try it for some serious disappointment.

alexhahn82, May 17, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +10%

Visual: Slightly cloudy looking orange-ish color. SRM of 7-9 maybe. Pouring 9 ounces into a pint, I was able to eek out a finger of foamy white head, that dissipated to about 1/8 inch within minutes. Somehow this still left decent lacing up the glass though.

Aroma: I smell a lot of sweetness, reminding me a little of things brewed with Belgian yeast. I'm getting citrus but also something that smells like tutti frutti baby food. I'm sure there is a better description of that smell since I've picked it up on many different beers, typically those from Great Britain.

Taste: I have to admit, I read other reviews the other day that had me thinking this was going to be more hoppy than it was. I get a good bit of sweetness and a bit of a bisuity taste. Yes there is a little bitterness that gets you in the back of the throat... but it doesn't linger that long. I like this beer!

Mouth Feel: Has an appropriate amount of carbonation. And leaves you mouth a little wet... Again, I like it!

Drink-ability: I probably would not settle down with a 6-pack. But I definitely would keep a 6-er in the fridge. One or two of these is going to be a good way to end the day.

Impressions: Maybe it's just because I'm new to IPA's... but I was expecting something far more hoppy than the Pale Ales I've been drinking lately. I'm guessing this is going to be on the low end of the IBU scale... And I see they lowered the bitterness from about 70 down to 45 this year. Maybe it is less IPA and a bit more PA?

Serving Type: Out of a bottle, 3 oz in a brandy snifter, the rest in a pint glass.

Zaradog, May 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours pale amber with a small head.
Nose shows lots of hops with big piney, resinous, fruity and floral notes. Malt is not forgotten, with a huge caramel character.
Same story with the flavours, lots of piney, resinous hops and plenty of sweet malt.
Carbonation could be higher.

CrazyDavros, May 11, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

$3.99? ok I'll bite and give it a try. Pours orange into my Lagunitas glass. I get aromas of something sour. Is it supposed to be like that? this is an IPA and the best before date isn't until the end of May so I know it's supposed to fresh. I get sour hops that cling to your taste buds when I take a sip. Would of been nice if it was fresh tasting hops that were clinging to your taste buds instead of this sour taste that is so pungent. Other than the notes of sour I can't really get anything else out of this which is disappointing since this is my first Brewdog beer I have tried. I have the hardcore IPA in my fridge too and if that's anything like this one then these will be the last Brewdog beers I have.

BigB415, May 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Well this is a first for me Brewdog from a can i gotta say im very entrigued and it pours a nice murky apricot hue with decent carbonation that leaves behind a frothy,fluffy two finger head and spporadic lacing,the smell is beautiful with hints of pungent floral hops,bubblegum and zesty lime,it has a medium bodied well carbonated mouthfeel that has tastes of boiled candy,bubblegum,citrus zest,light toffee and finished off with a floral hoppy bitterness and overall one of the best examples of how a brew can be sometimes better in a can and i will buy this again and again cheers.

ADZA, May 07, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

What a strange beer but good beer this is. I am not sure who gave me this beer, Apophis666 or Zimbo. Thanks anyway....Best before march 2012.

Poured in a dutch beerglass this beer looks ok, no carbonation and that is a pity. Good smell, some citrus and pumpkin and pineapple. Good taste but there is a bit of a strange aftertaste which slows the beer down a bit. That will be the punk in the beer i think.

Brabander, May 06, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours an absolutely brilliant bright cloudy orange, with a huge bubbly perfectly white head, that sinks down to maybe a inch. Leaves an amazingly sticky lace. Love the look of this.

On the nose. Fresh, vesty, citrus hops, mixed in well with the balance of the biscuity malts.

The malts come through first ... bready into toasted biscuit, but the hops come in and knock them off quickly, and don't relent. The taste backs up the big orange colour, with some less dominant fruits in there too. The hop biterness doesn't knock you over, but you know they're there. Finishes tight and dry.

Very refreshing. Very solid IPA. Would love to taste this fresh.

edonovan0, May 06, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -15%

Tasted April 30th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip

A - rusty champagne, one finger white head and minimal lacing

S - malty, almost sour smelling, sharp hops, yeast, wheat and some fresh cut grass

T - slight resin, pine, floral and citrus hops, bitter malt, very pungent with hops and malt. No sweetness at all

M - very dry, carbonated and long finish. Very bitter

D - drinks like a European style IPA. Nice but not excellent

Final thought - If you love european IPA. This one is for you. Price isn't awesome though

whatthehull, May 03, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

The bottle says batch 462 and that it expires 18/12/10, which I am assuming is December of 2010...so this beer is about 5 months expired. Since it is an IPA, they are designed to age in barrels originally, so I doubt that this has hurt the beer too badly. Let's find out:

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow gold color with a 1/2" of creamy white foam on top after a pretty quick pour. There are numerous bubbles rising to maintain the head, so it doesn't look that much different after a minute. There is some solid chunks of lace left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: The aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but this isn't a bad thing. My first impression was that there was a subtle funkiness going on here, but a few seconds later, there was some lemon zest and some crusty bread aromatics, but it is a bit reserved in the cold beer. I don't really pick up the wild character anymore unless it is a subtle leather from Brett or something, but it is mixing into the blend well. Again, the aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but we don't get many IPAs outside of The States, so I guess this can be expected.

Taste: The flavor has much more hop presence than the aroma suggested. There are lots of bittering hops in here that hit your palate quickly...while the flavoring hops are still there, and this obscures the malt impression. The finish is quite dry and hoppy, and the water is playing on the hops too, to make the beer feel drier in the finish. The carbonation being high and the body medium causes the beer to further alienate itself from your palate.

Opinion: Well, I have liked a lot of other BrewDog products better than this one, but it may really appeal to a hop-head. The bittering are too overdone in this beer for my taste, and to top it off, there are some unusual hops used to get there, so the taste left on your palate is foreign (no pun intended). I will drink the other three in the 4-pack that I got, but I won't be coming back to this one anytime soon.

SkeeterHawk, May 03, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark orange/almost amber color with minimal amount of quickly dissipating head. Armoma is of citrusy hops, maybe a little piney. Mouthfeel is medium bodies, very carbonated. Taste is very dry, which I like, but not very flavorful: tastes of yeast, hops, grassy, some bitternes. This is not a great IPA.

surprenant1138, May 03, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I am clearly a victim of marketing. After I heard about Tactical Nuclear Penguin, I've wanted to try it. When I heard the cost, I decided to settle on something else from Brew Dog. I'm not big on IPAs but this and the Hardcore IPA are the only two I've found locally. Might as well give it a shot!

Appearance: A light golden yellow color, good white head that dissipates fast and leaves good lacing

Smell: Biscuity malt, piney, resinous and citrus hops

Taste: Resinous hops hit the palate first, followed by some pine and citrus, with a biscuity malt finish. Some spice to it too. A respectable level of bitterness, but not overdone. Not the most balanced, but balanced enough for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation, feels appropriate for the beer.

Overall: A highly respectable IPA. Not the best, not the worst, but certainly is an excellent choice, especially if you are in the UK and it will be fresher than whatever American IPAs are available. I was expected this to be more in your face, but was pleasantly surprised. If I find other beers from Brew Dog, I will certainly try them.

MadCat, Apr 29, 2011

426th review on BA
Bottle to pint
500 ml

App- A very cloudy orange with a few yellow highlights. A very bubbly and frothy head. A one and a half finger head. Not much cling.

Smell- A little bit of a mix of light pine with some earthy notes and some fresh citrus. A little fresh grapefruit with mangos maybe some tangerine. My nose is a bit off today.

Taste- A very spicy IPA. The hops really shine through and are pretty well balanced by the slight malts I get.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a spicy pine aftertaste.

Drink- A good IPA but needed to be a bit more balanced IMO. A great rep from across the pond for our American tastes.

FosterJM, Apr 26, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Got this from SuperNova777 for winning a beer poker league tourney. Thanks buddy!

Pours a golden color with a nice big light beige head on it with some good lacing as well.

Smell is light with a slight hop aroma to go along with the citrus.

Taste is not as hoppy as I'd expect, it's good though. Nice bitter finish on this well balanced beer.

Light bodied beer that goes down smooth and easy.

Really good tasting beer. Glad I got a chance to try it. I've never seen it in the stores I've been to bud I'd definitely drink it again.

richkrull, Apr 26, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

12 ozer into a tulip.

A - A hazy opaque golden color of a body. The head is very resiliant and sticky. Pure white with the consistency of whipped egg whites in some places.

S - Not a ton going on, but there is some nice soft mild hops with light citrus leaning towards fruity notes.

T & M - This IPA is medium bodied with a slight level of carbination. Very light taste which is crisp and refreshing with a good light hop bitterness and mild citrus fruit notes. I also notice a slight chewyness on the back end of this beer that linger a little on the palate.

O - A nice fresh crisp IPA with a little attitude. Good beer but it is pushing the price tag limit. I would try one for sure.

-Cheers

CuttDeez, Apr 25, 2011

Drank my first ever can of the new Punk IPA against the bottle to compare. The can had a BB Date of 24 Dec 11 making it two and and half months older. Both poured into its own identical high tumbler

Obviously similar to the bottle in appearance but the can has put forward a clearer more sparkling looking beer with a pretty fresh aroma. Somewhat thinner in body too but the backbone and slight carbonation seems to support it better making it more rounded and supportive of the flavour. Again, ginger at the end after some fairly reasonable bitterness. This sure seems fresher.
Not bad at all. Certainly merits the B+

Round one to the can. Looks like I'll need to buy some more!

Zimbo, Apr 23, 2011