Punk IPA - BrewDog

Punk IPAPunk IPA

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

(Beer added by: bark on 11-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punk IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +10%

Visual: Slightly cloudy looking orange-ish color. SRM of 7-9 maybe. Pouring 9 ounces into a pint, I was able to eek out a finger of foamy white head, that dissipated to about 1/8 inch within minutes. Somehow this still left decent lacing up the glass though.

Aroma: I smell a lot of sweetness, reminding me a little of things brewed with Belgian yeast. I'm getting citrus but also something that smells like tutti frutti baby food. I'm sure there is a better description of that smell since I've picked it up on many different beers, typically those from Great Britain.

Taste: I have to admit, I read other reviews the other day that had me thinking this was going to be more hoppy than it was. I get a good bit of sweetness and a bit of a bisuity taste. Yes there is a little bitterness that gets you in the back of the throat... but it doesn't linger that long. I like this beer!

Mouth Feel: Has an appropriate amount of carbonation. And leaves you mouth a little wet... Again, I like it!

Drink-ability: I probably would not settle down with a 6-pack. But I definitely would keep a 6-er in the fridge. One or two of these is going to be a good way to end the day.

Impressions: Maybe it's just because I'm new to IPA's... but I was expecting something far more hoppy than the Pale Ales I've been drinking lately. I'm guessing this is going to be on the low end of the IBU scale... And I see they lowered the bitterness from about 70 down to 45 this year. Maybe it is less IPA and a bit more PA?

Serving Type: Out of a bottle, 3 oz in a brandy snifter, the rest in a pint glass.

Zaradog, May 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours pale amber with a small head.
Nose shows lots of hops with big piney, resinous, fruity and floral notes. Malt is not forgotten, with a huge caramel character.
Same story with the flavours, lots of piney, resinous hops and plenty of sweet malt.
Carbonation could be higher.

CrazyDavros, May 11, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

$3.99? ok I'll bite and give it a try. Pours orange into my Lagunitas glass. I get aromas of something sour. Is it supposed to be like that? this is an IPA and the best before date isn't until the end of May so I know it's supposed to fresh. I get sour hops that cling to your taste buds when I take a sip. Would of been nice if it was fresh tasting hops that were clinging to your taste buds instead of this sour taste that is so pungent. Other than the notes of sour I can't really get anything else out of this which is disappointing since this is my first Brewdog beer I have tried. I have the hardcore IPA in my fridge too and if that's anything like this one then these will be the last Brewdog beers I have.

BigB415, May 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Well this is a first for me Brewdog from a can i gotta say im very entrigued and it pours a nice murky apricot hue with decent carbonation that leaves behind a frothy,fluffy two finger head and spporadic lacing,the smell is beautiful with hints of pungent floral hops,bubblegum and zesty lime,it has a medium bodied well carbonated mouthfeel that has tastes of boiled candy,bubblegum,citrus zest,light toffee and finished off with a floral hoppy bitterness and overall one of the best examples of how a brew can be sometimes better in a can and i will buy this again and again cheers.

ADZA, May 07, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

What a strange beer but good beer this is. I am not sure who gave me this beer, Apophis666 or Zimbo. Thanks anyway....Best before march 2012.

Poured in a dutch beerglass this beer looks ok, no carbonation and that is a pity. Good smell, some citrus and pumpkin and pineapple. Good taste but there is a bit of a strange aftertaste which slows the beer down a bit. That will be the punk in the beer i think.

Brabander, May 06, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours an absolutely brilliant bright cloudy orange, with a huge bubbly perfectly white head, that sinks down to maybe a inch. Leaves an amazingly sticky lace. Love the look of this.

On the nose. Fresh, vesty, citrus hops, mixed in well with the balance of the biscuity malts.

The malts come through first ... bready into toasted biscuit, but the hops come in and knock them off quickly, and don't relent. The taste backs up the big orange colour, with some less dominant fruits in there too. The hop biterness doesn't knock you over, but you know they're there. Finishes tight and dry.

Very refreshing. Very solid IPA. Would love to taste this fresh.

edonovan0, May 06, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -15%

Tasted April 30th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip

A - rusty champagne, one finger white head and minimal lacing

S - malty, almost sour smelling, sharp hops, yeast, wheat and some fresh cut grass

T - slight resin, pine, floral and citrus hops, bitter malt, very pungent with hops and malt. No sweetness at all

M - very dry, carbonated and long finish. Very bitter

D - drinks like a European style IPA. Nice but not excellent

Final thought - If you love european IPA. This one is for you. Price isn't awesome though

whatthehull, May 03, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

The bottle says batch 462 and that it expires 18/12/10, which I am assuming is December of 2010...so this beer is about 5 months expired. Since it is an IPA, they are designed to age in barrels originally, so I doubt that this has hurt the beer too badly. Let's find out:

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow gold color with a 1/2" of creamy white foam on top after a pretty quick pour. There are numerous bubbles rising to maintain the head, so it doesn't look that much different after a minute. There is some solid chunks of lace left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: The aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but this isn't a bad thing. My first impression was that there was a subtle funkiness going on here, but a few seconds later, there was some lemon zest and some crusty bread aromatics, but it is a bit reserved in the cold beer. I don't really pick up the wild character anymore unless it is a subtle leather from Brett or something, but it is mixing into the blend well. Again, the aroma is a little unusual for an IPA, but we don't get many IPAs outside of The States, so I guess this can be expected.

Taste: The flavor has much more hop presence than the aroma suggested. There are lots of bittering hops in here that hit your palate quickly...while the flavoring hops are still there, and this obscures the malt impression. The finish is quite dry and hoppy, and the water is playing on the hops too, to make the beer feel drier in the finish. The carbonation being high and the body medium causes the beer to further alienate itself from your palate.

Opinion: Well, I have liked a lot of other BrewDog products better than this one, but it may really appeal to a hop-head. The bittering are too overdone in this beer for my taste, and to top it off, there are some unusual hops used to get there, so the taste left on your palate is foreign (no pun intended). I will drink the other three in the 4-pack that I got, but I won't be coming back to this one anytime soon.

SkeeterHawk, May 03, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark orange/almost amber color with minimal amount of quickly dissipating head. Armoma is of citrusy hops, maybe a little piney. Mouthfeel is medium bodies, very carbonated. Taste is very dry, which I like, but not very flavorful: tastes of yeast, hops, grassy, some bitternes. This is not a great IPA.

surprenant1138, May 03, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I am clearly a victim of marketing. After I heard about Tactical Nuclear Penguin, I've wanted to try it. When I heard the cost, I decided to settle on something else from Brew Dog. I'm not big on IPAs but this and the Hardcore IPA are the only two I've found locally. Might as well give it a shot!

Appearance: A light golden yellow color, good white head that dissipates fast and leaves good lacing

Smell: Biscuity malt, piney, resinous and citrus hops

Taste: Resinous hops hit the palate first, followed by some pine and citrus, with a biscuity malt finish. Some spice to it too. A respectable level of bitterness, but not overdone. Not the most balanced, but balanced enough for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation, feels appropriate for the beer.

Overall: A highly respectable IPA. Not the best, not the worst, but certainly is an excellent choice, especially if you are in the UK and it will be fresher than whatever American IPAs are available. I was expected this to be more in your face, but was pleasantly surprised. If I find other beers from Brew Dog, I will certainly try them.

MadCat, Apr 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

426th review on BA
Bottle to pint
500 ml

App- A very cloudy orange with a few yellow highlights. A very bubbly and frothy head. A one and a half finger head. Not much cling.

Smell- A little bit of a mix of light pine with some earthy notes and some fresh citrus. A little fresh grapefruit with mangos maybe some tangerine. My nose is a bit off today.

Taste- A very spicy IPA. The hops really shine through and are pretty well balanced by the slight malts I get.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a spicy pine aftertaste.

Drink- A good IPA but needed to be a bit more balanced IMO. A great rep from across the pond for our American tastes.

FosterJM, Apr 26, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Got this from SuperNova777 for winning a beer poker league tourney. Thanks buddy!

Pours a golden color with a nice big light beige head on it with some good lacing as well.

Smell is light with a slight hop aroma to go along with the citrus.

Taste is not as hoppy as I'd expect, it's good though. Nice bitter finish on this well balanced beer.

Light bodied beer that goes down smooth and easy.

Really good tasting beer. Glad I got a chance to try it. I've never seen it in the stores I've been to bud I'd definitely drink it again.

richkrull, Apr 26, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

12 ozer into a tulip.

A - A hazy opaque golden color of a body. The head is very resiliant and sticky. Pure white with the consistency of whipped egg whites in some places.

S - Not a ton going on, but there is some nice soft mild hops with light citrus leaning towards fruity notes.

T & M - This IPA is medium bodied with a slight level of carbination. Very light taste which is crisp and refreshing with a good light hop bitterness and mild citrus fruit notes. I also notice a slight chewyness on the back end of this beer that linger a little on the palate.

O - A nice fresh crisp IPA with a little attitude. Good beer but it is pushing the price tag limit. I would try one for sure.

-Cheers

CuttDeez, Apr 25, 2011

Drank my first ever can of the new Punk IPA against the bottle to compare. The can had a BB Date of 24 Dec 11 making it two and and half months older. Both poured into its own identical high tumbler

Obviously similar to the bottle in appearance but the can has put forward a clearer more sparkling looking beer with a pretty fresh aroma. Somewhat thinner in body too but the backbone and slight carbonation seems to support it better making it more rounded and supportive of the flavour. Again, ginger at the end after some fairly reasonable bitterness. This sure seems fresher.
Not bad at all. Certainly merits the B+

Round one to the can. Looks like I'll need to buy some more!

Zimbo, Apr 23, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Golden, hazy colour, with a foamy, thick head. Good head retention, leaves a fine lacing.

S: Tropical citrus fruits are most prominent, but a floral, conifer-like hoppiness is also more than noticeable.

T: Hops galore! A strong initial bitterness fades into grass and grapefruit. Very dry, with a lingering, bitter aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and a bit too dry. Good carbonation.

O: The bitter, cumulative aftertaste takes away from the drinkability, but it works well as the odd bottle. The hop profile might not be everyone's cup of tea, though.

Rubyroth, Apr 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

I picked this up today at Monument Wines and Spirits.

Appearance- golden color, thick foamy head

Smell- very nice aroma, citrus, piney hops

Taste- a little bit of a bitter hop bite, pretty good, some malt in there too

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, very refreshing

Drinkability- very good, I was very impressed.

jeffjeff1, Apr 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a soft gloden color that thins out as you go down the bottle. Had a soft bread-looking head on top that dissipated into an oily white.

Smells wonderful! This brew has a caramel and grapefruit nose that is deep and fulfilling.

What a hop monster! This guy is all bitter, which is awesome imo.It's very light, not much of a malty backbone, and has a piney flavor of hops. It's good, but it's not as complex as some other US IPA's.

Overall, this is a brew that I'd order if I was at the pub, but isn't one that I would buy a case of. Not bad, not amazing.

pavandal, Apr 14, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer is slightly hazy, golden, a white head that leaves little lacing.

The smell is citric and floral, grape-fruit with pine resin.

The brew has an initial caramel sweetness, then freshly squeezed grape-fruit juice, pine needles and resin.

Medium carbonation, small bubbles, soft, a medium body, a dry finish.

This version is very clean and nice, better balanced and more enjoyable - for me.

rarbring, Apr 12, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance:

Pale (well it should be). Hazy. Too weak head for an IPA, at least according to my tastes. 3.0.

Smell: Tones of grass, clay, a hint of conifer trees and citrus fruits. Overall very pleasant and heartwarming.

Taste: See smell. Tastes a little worse than it smells though. Slightly too bitter and sour for my tastes.

Mouthfeel: Enjoyable, fresh, refreshing. Very good. No bad aftertastes.

Overall: I recommend this beer, simply put a quality Pale Ale it is.

grapetonix, Apr 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Can@Home

Apperance: Golden orange witha huge, airy, head and lots of sticky lacing.

Smell: Caramel, Citric notes, Tropical fruits, Hint of pine and malt.

Taste: Tropical fruits, Hint of marmalade, Peach, Hint of malt, Pine.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp and dry with a medium bitterness at the end. More balanced than the old recepie.

A very drinkable APA/IPA and pretty good one at that. I'd prefer a bit more agressive hopping but this will do nicely as a lighter hopfix during the warmer months.

baggio, Apr 08, 2011

I found this beer to be kind of weak BrewDog. I was hoping for something more I guess with this, but I suppose they saved that for the Hardcore IPA. This beer is golden yellow in color and has a nice solid head on it. The smell was nice a hoppy which made me really excited for the first taste. The taste however is a little bit on the lighter side, almost too light for an IPA. The other flavors in it were some hints of earth and malts. The mouthfeel was bubbly and refreshingly light. I'd like a little more hops here but there are Imperials and Doubles for that.

Knapp85, Apr 08, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Half pint from the Market Porter. Small head, very cloudy, only the bottom is transparent. Mangos dominate the smell, there are also some flowers there. Mango dominates the taste of this beer, definate curry in the aftertaste. This is a beer with serious hop content, at least for european standards. It's a sipper rather than one to chug. Good.

jonb5, Apr 07, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Impressive off-white head. Lots of stringy lace. Head recedes in a lumpy fashion. The brew is golden with the lightest of hazes.

I reminded of the hop pellets I have used for my home brews. It is a smell I truly love.

Great pale malt start that quickly succumbs to the hop bomb. Far more balanced than the last sentence indicates. Good body with a low level of carbonation. Overall, a bitter beer with a long aftertaste

smcolw, Apr 03, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Teasie bought a 4 pack of these on her way home from work. Gotta love Justin Lill's!
Poured into a goblet, hazy bright yellow colour, tall stark white foamy head that takes a long time to drop whilst drinking.
First aroma had very little hop to start with, mostly grainy and bready. I let the Punk warm up as I watched the kids play, and then the mild hop aroma came through. Citrus, grapefruit, kiwi and the like, not as hoppy on the nose as I'd have expected seeing these Scots are so full on with their hopping on their vlogs, more a pale than an IPA.
Taste was good, malty, clean, a hint of yeast, then bitterness and hoppiness, balanced, but not too extreme. Finishes dry, which I like, carries on the bitterness well.
Medium body.
Overall, a great beer, but not an awesome IPA, I'm not sure if it's just me, am I too underwhelmed when it come to hoppy beers, do I expect too much? I dunno. I'd still be up for another four.

revdrjbob, Mar 26, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer, great flavor, too pricey to be my everyday beer, but I wish it could be.

Appearance: hazy yellow orange with a white head leaving white lacing.

Smell: Strong Citrus aroma with hints of caramel

Taste: Not quite as bitter as the California IPA's but still distinct hop flavors along with citrus and tropical fruit flavors, biscuit notes linger past the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, Little alcohol essence, very drinkable.

rwalker87, Mar 25, 2011