Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hardcore IPA - BrewDog

Hardcore IPAHardcore IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-10-2008

This Imperial India Pale Ale rocks…hardcore! But don’t take our word for it...this little bottle has a grandiloquent story to tell.

2,204 malted Maris Otter grains gave all they had to offer the world to provide the robustly delicate toffee malt canvas for the ensuing epic. 4 Hop Cones willingly sacrificed themselves to ensure your mouth feels punished and puckering for more. 9,900,000,000 yeast cells frantically fermented their little hearts out as the sugars became alcohol in the depths of our fermentation tanks.

2 humans and 1 canine companion were relatively happy with the results.

Reviews: 531 | Hads: 1,419

Imperial IPA it says and an Imperial IPA it is. A cracking IPA. The after taste feels like you have been liking raw hops. If you are not a hop head stay well away.

When I'm not watching the Victoria Secret Angel's blow me kisses in their commercials I'm meditating on this beer to open my third eye into Nirvana, the one Tom Cruise always mentions. Did Prince Harry try this yet? I mean in his Apache helicopter?

my buddy klye shared a four pack with me best night ever

A- puffy off tan heady with the darkest almost red look

S- hops hops and more hops

T- a strong kick in the face with a smooth malty after taste couldn't wait for my next sip

M- fantastic almost as over bearing as the taste

O- literally the best ipa ive had i really wish i could get more of it

A: Bright orange, little haze
S: Amazing! One of the best smelling ipa's I ever had!
T:Follows smell perfectly. Well blended, citrus, toffee, just a treat.
M: Ahhhh! thick rich, perfect
O: I cannot understand why this doesn't get more love. Can't think of anything I don't love about this brew! Its just incredibly crafted. Cheers Brew Dogs!

4.94/5  rDev +29%

Picked up a single at ABC. Best before date 141 15-0?-14
Poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: Amber leaning towards orange. Off white rocky head with minimal retention and lacing.

S: Big on the piney hops. Very nice! It would make a great air freshener.

T: Big on the malts with biscuit and orange. Each sip left you wanting another. This was a hard beer to put down.

M: Medium to heavy, somewhat oily. Carbonation was on the lower side. Coated the tongue and taste buds with a lasting flavorful bitterness that left you wanting more.

O: This is my second offering from BrewDog. I wasn't impressed with the first one (punk IPA) so my expectations were not that high. What a surprise! One of the best DIPA I have had. Very well balanced between the malts and hops.
Damn that metric system, only 11.2 oz

4.93/5  rDev +28.7%

If you love IPA's... I mean love as in the more Hops the better, then this one does what you need.

It's somewhat cloudy, which I kinda liked because it reminds me of my brews. Smells fantastically hoppy. I'm guessing a lot of Cascade Hops maybe. Very piney. The taste is just the same. All hop and some sweetness actually. Being 9.2% you would think some alcohol flavor would slip through. But if it was there, I didn't catch it, and I've drank it several times.

I'm on the search for another place that sales it in my area. Unfortunately the liquor store I bought from burned down.... All that beer...

4.89/5  rDev +27.7%

A great beer. Poured into a pint glass. Had a copperish hue and was expected a golden hue instead. But it was a good smell good taste and over all mouth feeling was quit o refreshing not an overall bad beer. Love the taste of the Maris Otter Hops in the beer. Kudos

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

I'm reviewing this because i really didn't like the first hardcore, but this is amazing. Beautiful golden colour, great head with nice retention and the taste really stands up to the double IPAs i've had from the states. It's great to see a brewer go back to the drawing board with a beer and make something so great- this really gives me high hopes for future brewdog ventures!

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I’m not the one to go to when inquiring about IPA’s, and to be honest the only reason I tried BrewDog’s Hardcore out is because I became such a big fan of their Tokyo that I decided to try out any and all BrewDog products that I could get my hands on. Not being a fan of IPA’s much at all, I must note that this is one of the few that I found was more pleasant to drink that others of its kind.

Like all India Pale Ales, the Hardcore offers hops upon hops and packs a punch, but there is a nice malty aftertaste that provides a bit of a balance.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

Just like the Scottish - fucking hardcore!

This is one of my regular purchases at my local shop. It delivers boldly on flavours, with a sharp bitter note at the end.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I found this treasure in the $1 bargain bin at one of our local liquor stores!

It says it is "best before 01-02-14" but in April 2014, it is still outstanding.

Rich alcoholic hop-laden aroma.

Pours a bright hazy orange with a lingering light tan head.

Flavor is rich and balanced. Layers and layers of hops (almost oily with them) and malt. Some coppery notes (which I adore), some chewy wheat bread. A little bit of spices. The aftertaste starts sweet but then ends on a hoppy bitter note. Absolutely beautiful. Sunset in a glass.

Nice full thick mouthfeel. Very full with some almost oily elements (I mean this in a good way) but with a little bit of faint carbonation prickle. Almost like velvet.

An extremely good beer. The best I've had in awhile. Worth buying even if it isn't in the bargain bin. I almost wonder if the cheesy "HARDCORE" name and label design scares people off. This is a very tasty, thoughtful brew.

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

My wife bought me a bottle of this for Valentine's Day (how about that?!). Normally, this isn't a beer that I would buy as I have avoided the style lately. However, I was surprised by such a delicious, and well-crafted, beer.

Beer poured a cloudy dark blonde with a one inch head. It laced nicely around the glass as I drank it. It took me a long time to drink this and I was amazed at how the head managed to stick around.

The beer smelled of sweet citrus. I could make out a little pine in there too.

The taste?! Oh man! I really enjoyed it. It had hints of citrus and a nice hop presence. It tastes like a really good homebrew should.The type of homebrew that just piles in the hops. That maybe shouldn't come as a surprise. The blurb on the side proports this to be a small brewery. I probably won't ever find out because I don't have the money to visit Scotland anytime in the near future.

You can clearly taste the hops with a hint of pine that compliments it nicely.
Little bitter, but the perfect bitterness for the style.

For a 9.2 IPA, I was very surpised at how drinkable it is. It didn't burn going down and at the end I lamented how I did not have another.

Highly recommended!

4.69/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a just slightly hazy deep orange, almost a red. Decent 2 finger or so head with decent retention and lacing. Smells of pine and citrus as to be expected.

Wow this beer has great flavor and boldness. Big hop flavors up front, solid malt backbone. Great balance overall. I'm not sure if I believe it's 150 IBU's, at least not with the great balance I'm tasting here. You know the deal, it's big, it's hoppy, it's got a good malt profile as well. It is in my opinion a world class DIPA. It is what you'd expect it to be and then some. I could go on and on about the subtleties but I wont. Just try it. You won't be disappointed.

Mouthfeel is heavy, slightly sticky. Good carbonation. Overall just a great beer. A little high for the pricepoint so probably not something I'd pick up very often, but purely for cost reasons. I'd session this if it was cheaper.

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

I had this beer last night for the second time and i love this beer. I poured it out of a 750 btl into a glass and the color on it was beautiful. It was a nice amber color with not that much head on it in the glass. First sniff is just a overwhelming gorgeous smell of hops, and sweetness. It was a very bitter smooth taste on the pallet, and very light. Overall i think the beer was great but it is deff not for the week of hops this bad boy is overwhelmingly bitter and you better be ready.

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%

The Hardcore IPA has one of the best aromas I have smelt. The taste is amazing. It is the best IPA I have ever tasted. I work at Bayway Market as a beer specialist and I really recommend this IPA to people. Anyone in Coos Bay, Oregon that prefers a really good IPA then come into Bayway Market and pick one up. We have the best prices in town.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into english pint.
Pours copper-orange hazy beer with 1-finger off-white head, mediocre retention. Sticky aroma, malts and tons of floral hops. Massive body, noble bouquet of hops, masculine embodiment for gentry and blessed.

4.59/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Dark golden amber. A thin head. Amazing lacing leaves rings on the glass following each sip like rings in a redwood marking time.

S: Tropical fruits, apricot, passionfruit, tons of grapefruit hops. And a barleywine malt profile.

T: Follows the nose. A sweet (!) hop finish that really stays with ya. Lots of booziness that blends oh so well.

M: Creamy, bitter, and warm.

One of the top 5 DIPA's I've ever had. What a surprise. Top friggin notch.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Something happens to BrewDog as it crosses the ocean. On-tap, hardcore is vibrant and almost glows. It has elements that put any west coast American IIPA to the test. Otherwise, the Scottish tap snifter I had at the Edinburgh BrewDog bar is very close to the original bottle tasting review from January in the USA, only everything is heightened at the source:

Pours a beautiful amber from the bomber into my half pint taster with a half inch of Eggshell off-white head. Rich biscuity malt, honey sweet big malty nose gets completely displaced with the first hoppy sip. So big and buttery my instinct is to chew. Warm alcohol shines throu and cuts sweet malt with the citrus hops biting through. Hops turn to resin and pine as the beer warms in the mouth, and becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Unfolds on the palate: rich and rewarding. A worthy Scottish competitor for big American double IPAs, DIPA, or whatever. Tis is fabulous. The bottle is silly "Explicit Imperial Ale" and a catalogue of ingredients in each bottle, down to the brewers and the dog, but what's inside is worth any label-posturing. Great stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

550ml brown bottle purchased at The Liquor Shoppe in Tygsboro, MA. Pours a bit hazy golden amber body with a half inch of off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Grapefruit and toffee equally share the aroma, hinting at a good malt backbone for this DIPA. Orange, lemon, grapefruit hit the palate first, with toffee and chocolate malts shortly thereafter to help balance and bring some complexity to the show. Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. This is a very easy drinking DIPA and is disappearing much faster than I'd like. This beer is phenomenal - bold but balanced, complex yet approachable. I'm impressed.

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a light copper color with some decent head and lacing throughout. Great scent, very hoppy with great citrus (orange and slight melone) tones right up front. Great taste, a huge thick maltiness up front that goes into a citrus and pineapple flavor afterwards; great balance for a high ABV beer. Smooth for such a thick, high ABV beer. Excellent beer.

4.52/5  rDev +18%

On cask at The Pub in Lexington, KY.

Poured a beautiful deep reddish amber with plenty of nice creamy foam. Nose is big on citrusy, piney hop glory. The smell is terribly inviting and backed with some caramel sweetness and a bit of alcohol. What a flavor this beer has! Lots of thick chewy malt and a good bit of alcohol up front with an aggressive hop finish. This is quite complex and balanced. The cask adds a bit of spicy funk that is just delicious. Additionally, the cask temperature and light effervescence make for a wonderful experience. What a great beer on a breezy Sunday afternoon! Perhaps the cask added more than meets the eye based on the other (less than stellar) reviews here, because this was one of the better beer moments for me in recent memory.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

L: Pours hazy amber under a 1” cream colored foam cap that hugs the side of the glass. It clears up as it warms.
S: Spicy, earthy hop aromas are much more prominent that malt. Not much fruity ester aroma.
T: Fruit, big bitterness, citrus, malt toffee and light caramel, finishing with a lingering bitterness.
F: Creamy, medium full body, medium to medium low carbonation.
O: This is a DIPA with big bitterness with a balancing malt presence.

A. Beautiful amber color

S. Grass and hops

T. Hoppy, grassy, citrusy, then hoppy again and Bitter all the way through. Great taste.

M. Good carbonation, not too thick very solid

O. This is one of my go to beers, I love it and is my always in the fridge beer. If you haven't tried it, and you love hoppy bitter beers, then run to your local shop and buy it now.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this at the Gotham Cask Festival last week. I noticed that some pretty passionate negative reviews have been written about this beer, but I must say that the Cask I sampled...if only that batch...was divine.

The beer poured a nice orange/copper, with a thin head, expectedly no carbonation, and good lacing. The aroma was an inviting mix of pink grapefruit, mango, peach, and honey, with very subtle hop bitterness. The flavor progression impressively started with a round full-bodied bouquet of the aforementioned fruits, which dissolved to a nice hop-bitter finish, and a dry mouthfeel aftertaste. The body overall was medium, but the flavor progression with each sip made this an excellent experience. If I didn't want to try some of the other great Casks on hand, I probably would've drank this one all night.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into a large bubble glass, it pours a hazy deep orange colour with a decent head settling to a ring around the glass.

Massive amounts of citrus and resinous pine. Divine.

There is a definite malt sweetness at the very front of the mouth at the start, it gives way very quickly to a building bitterness which crescendos on the finish and stays at the back of the mouth for a long time. There are notes of citrus and pine through from the start to the middle. A very aggressive beer but if you are a fan of American hops in large quantities this beer will not disappoint.

Feels thicker than usual beers, almost like a very light syrup. Coats the mouth and ensures the flavour hangs around.

As a fan of American Double IPAs, this beer is a very good representation. Massive amounts of hops, a well balanced sweetness and a hefty alcohol content makes this a fantastic beer. I could quite happily recommend this as a session beer although your session won't last too long at 9.2% ABV! They've nailed this one, I'll be making sure to keep a regular stock of this one.

Hardcore IPA from BrewDog