Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) - BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

poor

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

2.75/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

3.24/5  rDev +17.8%

Review from 1/2011 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a murky orange amber, very little carbonation; no head nor lacing. Woody, smoky light fruit aroma. Flavor is dominated by wood smoke, with light malt and fruit in the background. Smoky finish with some non-descript bitterness. This beer needs stronger background flavors, some carbonation and balance. An interesting but flawed attempt.

2.75/5  rDev 0%

1.96/5  rDev -28.7%

Serving Type: Bottle
A: Amber in color

S: Big hints of wood, smoke, hops and has a boozy character to it.

T: Sweet mailty tones with an overpowering boozy and smoke quality to it.

M: Light body to the beer, with big alcohol taste to it. Beer is flat.

O: I felt like this beer was a waste of the 5 dollars I spent.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%

A - Hazy (murky)golden body, no head on vigorous pour. No lacing, close to no carbonation visible.

S - Faint whiffs of floral hops and whiskey. Not intense at all.

T - Malty sweetness to begin with. Then the whiskey starts to take over. I get strong tastes of oak, moderate tobacco, and faint smoke. Finishes oaky.

M - Medium bodied, flat as can be. Moderate alcohol warmth.

O - Seems to me more like a whiskey diluted with beer than a beer aged in a whiskey barrel. The underlying style of a Double IPA doesn't really seem to come into play much at all which is unfortunate. It's not a terrible beer, just a different type which I think missed its mark.

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%

No head, blah cloudy amber. No big deal. Nose is that sea salty peat of Islay scotch. It's there, whether you want like it or not. It's acquired, I imagine this would be significantly different if it was any other type of barrel, maybe they should have done a lowland to get a fuller smoke flavor. But I digress, I wasn't thinking about what was in this at first and the taste was awful, like first time I tried I sauerkraut, second sip however like the second time I tried sauerkraut; I understood the flavor. Still not amazing, fruity, peaty slightly salty, and slightly sweet. Good and interesting, but I feel it was a swing and a miss and they had to bottle their mistake anyway. I don't blame brewdog, I would do the same thing. Better luck next time.

2.12/5  rDev -22.9%

Wow, wish I hadn't wasted almost $9 on this. This beer poured out with basically no head at all on it. There were just a few bubbles that came to the top from the rough pour I gave it. The color is a muddy orange gold. The smell is smokey and I personally can't get much hop aroma out of this one. The taste of the beer tastes like one of their Paradox brews. It's heavily smoked with the lack of much hop flavor doesn't really spark my interest. The mouthfeel is flat and watery. Overall I feel that the IPA stlye doesn't blend well with the Islay Casks like their Stouts do. I am bummed that I'm not enjoyin gthis more. I normally enjoy what BrewDog does but this one is not a success.

4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

3.03/5  rDev +10.2%

amber coming out of the bottle with a nice level of carbonation and a smooth, rich look to it. Nice head, maybe an inch of white comes up and over the top, settling down nicely with minimal side glass lacing. A very interesting profile. Piney hops up front but there is definitely some balance to be had here as the bready malt notes are very easily picked up here. Nice grassy and herbal quality to it as well. Smooth flavor, not much going on in the way of overpowering anything, it was much more mellowed, subdued even then I thought it would be

2.38/5  rDev -13.5%

The date on the bottle says best before 02/02/10 and it is now 10/25/11.. A guy at work said this kind of beer is ok to drink like this because it ages. I guess I will find out.

Appearance - Pours a very cloudy, pale yellow color. Seems to have no carbonation (probably because it's so old lol).

Smell - Has a strong smell of whiskey, oak wood, and I can't really point out anything else. The smell is VERY strong though.

Taste - It also taste kind of like whiskey.. I can taste hints of wood and smoke as well. Very bitter.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with light carbonation.

Overall - In my opinion.. this beer is pretty gross. I'm guessing it's just not my style. I can't imagine anyone who would want to drink this though lol.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%

11.2 ounce bottle into snifter, batch 150, best by 12/12/09. Here we go, I have been afraid of trying this because of the reviews. Pours hazy orange amber color with a small forced white head with ok retention that reduces to a paper thin cap. A bit of lacing clinging to the glass as well. Aromas of strong whiskey, caramel, wood, cardboard, and a bit of smoke. Interesting and decent aromas here with good strength. Taste of tons of woodiness, cardboard, smoke, caramel, and a bit of spices and whiskey. Almost no taste in the front of the tongue, which was odd. Lingering notes of smoke, wood, cardboard, whiskey, and a bit of spicy bitterness on the finish. Pretty much no carbonation with a medium-full body. Very slick and odd mouthfeel thanks to the lack of carbonation. It drinks fairly easily however. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming on the finish noticed. Overall certainly an interesting tasting beer, but this was a tad difficult to finish.

3.05/5  rDev +10.9%

BrewDog Storm, malt beverage aged in an Islay Scotch Whiskey barrel.
"At BrewDog we are selfish; we only make beers that we want to drink.
This is not an unerring, despondent, half-hearted compromise. This bottle contains our IPA which has been aged in Scottish islet whisky casks.
The combination of Islay whisky casks and New Zealand hops is one of polar opposites on so many levels.
Drinking this beer is like being caught in the eye of a force 12 North Atlantic storm. Heavily peated demonic smoked Islay whisky and the fruity hop flavors of our IPA should not go well together. Nor should mild pretentiousness and exponential cool. However at BrewDog we are pretty sure we can rock it out and make both admirable combinations work reasonably well.
Zeitgeist in a bottle.
Brewed and Bottled by BrewDog Ltd, Fraserburgh, Scotland."

So, I'm giving BrewDog yet another try, and I'm greeted by more gobbledygook. Look at that second sentence, and try to make sense out of it. When do those three things happen at once? "An unerring compromise?" Huh? Whatever.

Let's pop 'er and see.

Pale golden coloration, smallish cloud-white head. Unassuming, yet inviting.

Aroma: Boom! There's that heavy peated malt right off the bat, Flinty, malty, nothing but whisky, nothing found below.

Taste: whisky is still in charge, with no flavors of the IPA tasted yet. Frankly, I don't see the point in drowning out a beer of real character with so much of the islay malt. Perhaps a lighter ale would be best served in this cause. Nonetheless, the smoky peat of Islay dominates everything.

Medium bodied, but a bit of a challenge, if you aren't up for all the smoke and peat. I'm fine with it, but I wish more of the IPA would actually, as promised, rise up to match the whisky. If it's a Storm, it's one that carries away any other flavors than those in the barrel they mixed the IPA with. This is a beer for whisky fanatics only, and as that, it's not bad, maybe even good. I'm on the fence and on the verge of jumping off, based on that promise of a marriage that never came through. It's a beer awash in whisky. Some may like that. Not I.

2.71/5  rDev -1.5%

appearance: pours a cloudy yellow-brown, carbonation is on the lighter side, very little foam and no lacing.

smell: hops and oak are predominant, hops yield a floral nature and the oak yields notes of scotch malts; reminds me of a subdued and less complex 'Sink The Bismarck!'.

taste: begins oakey and smokey, but whatever stimulation that is brought forth is quickly subdued and undermined by the peaty-malty taste, hops clash and are surprisingly bitter compared to their smell, finishes with an unpleasant combination of bitterness and oak-peat.

overall: disappointing; either I was mistaken thinking that an oak-aged IPA may have kept fairly well beyond its best by date (maybe a 2/2/10 date drank in August 2011 is a little too far past best before), but it still seems that the IPA characteristics are far too subdued to be enhanced by oak. Brewdog has had many successes with infusing scotch-like qualities in their beers, but I guess they all can't be winners.

2.24/5  rDev -18.5%

Bought this bottle because it was the only one left in the store and i wanted something different and boy did i get it.

A-poured a cloudy yellow with a hint of orange.

S-Smelled fantastic with a scotch/bourbon-esque smell.

T-Smokey- very smokey. Bitter with a final taste of some scotch. don't know if my bottle was bad, or improperly stored prior to my purchasing it or if it should taste this way.

the mouthfeel was a bit sticky and the smokiness wouldn't leave me. End result i didn't even finish it, poured out about a third of it.

2.06/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a tasting glass. Served cool.

A-cloudy yellow body, big soapy head.

S-very scotch peat like smell. lemon.

T-tastes like carbonated scotch.

M-light carbonation, dry finish

D-very scotchy. It was a nice try but I think I will pass next time. Peat too much to appraise further.

3.06/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer poured from bottle into Tulip shaped glass

A - Beer poured with no head and little white bubbles; absolutely no lacing; very thin and watery in appearance; body has a dull peachy orange color with lots of bubbles forming on the bottom of the glass

S - Sour notes mixed with oak and chestnut; I smell a little bit smokey and whiskey

T - Very harsh smoked wood and chestnut flavor; some malt sourness; all i really taste is smoked flavors or oak and chestnut; barely any whiskey

M - Smoked chestnut flavor lingers for a long time; very thing and no body; watery in texture; dry aftertaste

D - Unique and different; I have to say it doesn't meet the qualifications of a healthy Belgium beer, but I liked the unique tastes and very strong flavor; be careful, not for the faint of heart

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog