Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) - BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

poor

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i don't have enough hair on the bottom of my man parts for this one, i really gave it a chance... it did get better after 4-5 sips. very smokey, very bad initial impression after pouring with zero head, resembles urine . i'm glad i had one, but probably not going to purchase another (283 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -32.4%

A - Pale amber color, slightly muddy. Almost no carbonation. I have to literally dump it into the glass to get any kind of head. The head quickly subsides but leaves a thin layer of dishsoap-sized bubbles on the surface until the very end. Thin lacing.

S - PEAT! As soon as I start pouring I can smell the peaty, woody, scotch aromas. I can almost smell the ethanol. Smells like a scotch whiskey, but something's off.

T - Wow! I have to admit, after the first sip, I want to pour it out. After the second, I literally have the glass tilted over the sink, but I decide to ride it out. I take smaller sips and wait longer in between. The peat flavors and wood from the scotch barrel totally overpower the beer and sit at the front of my brain. I can think of nothing else. I give it a minute or two, and it starts to grow on me (not too much, though). Eventually I get past the initial shock of it all and I keep sipping.

M - Very thin, very little carbonation to tingle the tongue.

D - Definitely not for gulping, that's for sure. Baby sips.

I don't think I'll be trying this one again any time soon, but I'm glad I didn't end up dumping it out (especially at $8.99 for a 12oz bottle!). An interesting style, and I congratulate the creativity, but overall, I'm not impressed with this as a beer. (1,300 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +24.5%

A - Pours a very hazy gold into my pint glass with only a few large bubbles, no real head. Minimal carbonation. No lacing.

S - Aroma is very unique and inviting. If you enjoy scotch that is...
Very peat and smokey, some hops coming though and a bit of sweet malt and citrus.

T - This is a really tough rating for me because I do love scotch and appreciate the fusion of whiskey notes and IPA that has taken place here. With that being said, this has a very unique combination of bitter hops, smokiness, and peat. It almost a little too bitter, but not too surprised from Brewdog.

M - Medium in body, really lacking carbonation which I think could liven this one up a lot.

D - What a surprising brew! But even for the beer lover I can't say this is an easy drinker, but it is a nice sipper. Something really different that in my opinion is totally worth trying. (866 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -29.1%

Batch 012
Best by 02/02/12
I thought I had a bad bottle, but reading previous reviews, I guess this is what the beer is meant to be. Warning: Don't drink this beer.
It is a limpid yellow color with no head to speak of.
It has a bit of citrus aroma. No note of the whiskey barrel in which it is aged.
Slight grapefruit taste.
Flat.
Crappy beer. (343 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -53.6%

Wow. Shoulda known better when I saw them on sale. Zero carbonation, rotten egg aroma, tasted like the barrel and looked like something scraped from a pond bottom. What a horrible beer(?). If you see this beer on the shelf, don't pick it up even if it's free. A seriously flawed product, that frankly, reeked of contamination, and the obligatory drain pour followed. Ugh, I want my money back. (393 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -51.4%

11.2 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Off-centered pint glass. On sale at Specs for $1.99 a bottle!

A gentle 'hiss' when the cap is popped has me worried. Yep, another under-carbonated BrewDog beer, just as I feared. Storm looks like dirty dishwater with a soapy, unconsolidated head of spittle-colored bubbles. Cloudy body the color of muddled iced tea. The aroma is equally as unimpressive, with sharp, medicinal notes of booze singeing the nostrils with each sniff. Green, unchecked Islay whiskey notes smell peaty and harsh. The hops are OK, with a hint of banana, citrus, and tropical fruits, but the malts are almost non-existent.

Ugh. This stuff is awful. Thin on the front with a bit of piny hops and toasted caramel malt, but then the whiskey, charcoal, and peat assault the palate without remorse or balance, lingering long into the finish with a boozy spice. Mouthfeel is as watery as the appearance suggested, with little-to-no carbonation and a near-putrid, slick consistency. I've always tolerated BrewDog's antics, even though their beer never really struck a chord with me. But this takes the cake. Storm is absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted. I'm not swearing off BrewDog for good, but it's close.

Now if you'll excuse me, I hear the drain calling. (1,276 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle: Poured a hazy hay color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of Islay is quite dominant with some light traces of dry hops. Taste is totally dominated by Islay scotch which is enjoyable though dry aftertaste is a very weird mix. Body is quite full with low carbonation and no alcohol was apparent. While I really enjoyed Islay scotch I can't say that this was a really good mix. I couldn't finish the bottle and had to drain pour that one. (488 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +75.5%

Served from a 12oz bottle.

I should say that I am a huge fan of Ardbeg, Lagavullin and Laphroig so this is right up my alley.

A- Pours rich hazy gold with little head and no lacing.

S- Ardbeg supernova mixed in with some sugary hop water.... Its not a good thing... Its an amazing thing. Depp rich and smokey with tons of peat and a hidden citrus sweetness.

T-Up front it is a nice balanced slightly hoppy IPA with some nice citrus and pine notes. A good sweet malt backbone of toasted cereal grains and caramel honey. Then the back side slides in with a long tarry rope, smokey, peaty tobacco and smoky onslaught. Flat out amazing, maybe the perfect beer....for me at least.

M-The mouth feel is perfect for the beer. Not too much gas so it stays viscous and heavy with just enough Co2 to keep it slightly lively. The thick nature of this beer makes the long finish seem longer and better.

D-High, too high, the highest I can imagine a beer like this have. I love this beer, I could easily drink a few on a session and love every sip.

This is not for everyone. If you love big peat bombs; if Isle of Jura superstition is as light of peating you like in your dram; if you know the Ardbeg line in and out, this is your beer. This is without a doubt my favorite sipping beer, it is the perfect balance of my two favorite drinks. Much Respect.... (1,351 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a cloudy golden color.
Smells like Islay scotch. The issue with this is, it is not a scotch.
The taste is just about the same, an islay scotch.
My issue is that this is not really much like a beer, and more like its barrel.

Not very drinkable. (252 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -15.5%

I hate when this happens. I see an expensive beer at a store that I've never read about and think it sounds like it would be awesome. Why do I never learn? This stuff was over $7 for one bottle and I could have easily averted the situation just by taking a look at the BA rating. When a beer is rated C overall...there's pretty much no chance I'm going to enjoy it. Warning to anyone who hasn't yet tried this stuff: it sucks. I wouldn't drink it if it cost $1.

Poured into a snifter, Brewdog Storm pours a golden-honey colour. The head consists of a ring of large bubbles around the glass. There's some visible carbonation and an apparent thin body.

Smells of peat, whiskey, Five Alive (yes, the cheap fruit juice blend) and Garfield fruit snacks (they haven't been around for a decade or so, it took me a while to remember what that specific smell was). Whiskey and Five Alive? I'm not sure how well those go together. Interesting, to be sure.

What the hell is this? Cardboard, cheap tropical fruit juice, cheap whiskey, alcohol, smoke. Smoked peat finish. Much too watery and all out of balance. I was intrigued by the idea of an Islay whiskey barrel-aged DIPA, but they didn't pull this off at all. Poorly executed attempt. What a waste of a scotch barrel.

You can see it on the pour, the body is much too thin. Low carbonation. Not good.

This stuff is horrible. Who would think this is good? I shared this with my dad and he thought it was terrible too. Not drinkable at all. (1,491 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -37.4%

This is one of the worst beers I have ever drunk. Hot, plastic, very weird off taste. Perhaps if I would have given it a chance to warm up a bit, something more MIGHT have come out, but after two sips of this, down the drain it went.

I would not recommend this to anyone. (272 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Apearance - Pours a dull and cloudy golden yellow with barely a cap of carbonation.

Nose- Lots of peat, smoke and some oceany smell that I have only smelled in islay scotches, but it seems over powering here. No normal beer smells evident.

Palate- Starts with a slight malt sweetness before a watered down islay scotch flavor drowns all.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and under-carbonated.

Drinkability- I like DIPAs and i like scotch, I won't be buying this beer again.

Overall- I would love to try this again if the base beer was more assertive. (547 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -34.2%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a smell head that faded pretty quickly. Very slight lacing as I drank it.

S - Smell is almost entirely whiskey. There is some smokey smell along with slight hops and malts. To me the whiskey smell is very overpowering.

T - Taste is very strange. Off the bat I am not enjoying this beer very much. There is a very strong but off whiskey flavor. I generally enjoy a good whiskey or scotch, but this flavor is off. Doesn't taste much like either. There is some smokey flavor along with hops at the end.

M - Mouthfeel is very thin with very little carbonation. But it is smooth and feels alright in the mouth.

D - Well considering I had a lot of trouble drinking this single beer. I don't think I would drink another. Tastes and smells to much like bad whiskey and is hard to put down.

Overall I guess I am glad to try the beer. But I really did not enjoy, this to strong of whiskey, not at all balanced. Maybe it was because I got this beer a little out of date 02/21/10 was the best buy date. Its a very strange beer and not to my tastes I can see why some would like it, but not something I would ever drink again. I would like to rate this beer higher for creativeness from BrewDog but it doesn't seem like a good DIPA to me or very tasty IMO so I just can't (1,365 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a clear golden orange/amber color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source with a very thin fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

Smokey malt aroma with a very prominent whiskey/peat character. Earthy oak in the with slight citrus hops but the nose is overwhelmingly dominated by whiskey. I wish that the hops were more evident but this beer still smells pretty good.

Medium bodied but on the lighter end. Very unique combination of smokey malt, earthy oak, peaty whiskey flavors and citrus/piny hops. Subtle hints of pine needle and lemon/orange peel. Decent amount of alcohol warmth but along with the peat and whiskey it adds to the flavor. Sweet yet dry finish. (687 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +27.7%

Pours dingy orange/yellow with a nonexistent head. Hazy, almost cloudy appearance. Smells somehow off, lots of wood from the whiskey barrel but without any of the malt or hops that would balance that. Smells much like... scotch.

Flavor is weird. Tastes woody and astringent at first, bitter and unpleasant, but after drinking for a few minutes this gains some complexity. Still lots of smokey wood, but a nice wallop of hops and smoke on the back of the tongue. Finishes very dry and somewhat astringent. No significant carbonation or hoppiness on the tongue, moderate thickness, slightly chewy.

I feel somewhat underqualified to review this beer, to be honest. I've never had an Islay Scotch, so if this is what they taste like then obviously this is within the brewer's intention for the beverage. If so, I think I'd prefer to get the real thing straight up in Scotch form than masquerading as an IPA. In any case, the casual fan of India Pale Ales looking for a hop fix should shy away from this, as it has few if any of the characteristics they're looking for. Worth a shot, though, if only to put it in the "love it or hate it" category. (1,146 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +19.4%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before 2/2/10 so it's a bit past it's best by date. Served in an oversized wine glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about a 1/4 inch white head. Not much head retention, but there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is pretty nice, it smells like peat and smoke, just like a good smoky scotch whisky. I don't notice any other aromas, the smoke/peat is pretty overpowering, not that I'm complaining. However, the taste isn't quite as good as the aroma. I can still taste the peat and smoke, but there's also a weird plasticy taste noticable. It's not bad tasting, but it's a weird enough taste that I can't rate this beer above average on taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is average, but I probably rated this higher than most overall because I like smoky scotch whiskies. It's not great, but I thought it was worth a try. (923 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +46.4%

pours a very hazy dark yellow. Very low carbonation, no head.

Smell is amazing - peaty scotch, some smokiness, dank hops, musty wood and stick malt sugar, with some hoppy fruitiness. Mouth watering, what an amazing combination.

taste is good too - a little too sweet for me, but the hop/peat/smoke combination really works here - it's hard to explain, but the sharp pungent bitterness of the hops really pairs nicely with the peat and smoke. Slight alcohol warming

Mouthfeel is too big for my tastes, I'd personally make this a 6.0 abv beer instead of 8, and go for as thin a body as I could manage, to accentuate the hops and peat.

Drinkability is good - though you really have to be in the mood for something smoky and bold like this. (740 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%

So I bought this bottle when I saw it in one of my normal craft beers spots. It has so many things that I love...BrewDog brewing, strong IPA and whiskey cask aged!!! What could be better?

look:Pours a deep gold. A decent amount of head on the glass with minimal lacing.

smell:Still a little bit on the cold side, lots of citrus and smoked peat. With primarily peat! Not necessarily in a bad way... but not in a good way either. I can already tell this beer is going to be "different".

Taste: holy crap...did I just drink a fire pit? A quick flash of citrus and fruit go across the mouth being chased by a billowing smoke a peat flavor. Very interesting...again not in a bad way, but not in a good way either.

Aftertaste: the peat lingers. is followed by a slight whiskey bite to it.

overall: I am glad I tried it and got to share it with some friends. Most likely won't buy it again. (888 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%

A- Poured this beer fairly hard and it comes out a fairly hazy golden color. The head was quite thin, although it has big frothy bubbles, settling down to a bubbly/creamy looking film. There is quite a bit of carbonation upon looking at it....quite a few columns are sticking to the glass. Decent sticky lacing clings to the glass.

S- The first thing I notice is a heavy peaty smoky aroma that is very dominant...it almost smells like smoked meat. There is a noticeable malt aroma followed by some bitter hops on the finish. I was surprised but I don't smell much in terms of alcohol A very unique smelling brew, that's for sure.

T- This is probably one of the most interesting beers a person will come across. If I thought it almost smelled like meat....I really think it tastes like smoked beef! It's the combination of sweet malt, very smoky wood, hops and a touch of whisky that makes this a truly uniquely taste experience.

M- This beer feels like I've sucked in a mouthful of ash from a bonfire. It's medium bodied, not as heavily carbonated as I thought it would be...

D- Interesting as it is, I don't see myself getting this beer again. It's a very powerful beer and a little too smoky for my likning. It's much more likely better suited to be a meal beer, or with a 6yr old cheddar, possibly older. I wouldn't be able to have more than 1 serving of this brew before wanting something else...very unique though. (1,423 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +10.1%

Aroma is the only thing going for this beer. Pours a hazy dark golden color with virtually no head, even with a vigorous pour. Nose is reminiscent of Islay whiskies, perhaps Laphroaig comes to mind right now. Palate has an herbal, grassy, and off-flavored peatiness to it. Finish has some sourness. Challenging to drink. (320 characters)

Appearance:

I must say by taking a look at it, its a very pretty orange/ honey color with minimal head...so far so good.

Smell:

Holy shit, all I can get is smoke, watery scotch, and plastic / icy hot smell. Really overpowering on the peat smoked whiskey cask smell.

Taste:

All I can think of is Lebanon bologna and sweet sasuage lunch meat taste with burt plastic. I usually am very descrpitve and feel creative to write about beers I taste but this one makes my brain shut down quicky. Not very good at all...

Drinkability:

I am glad I got a chance to try it and more thankfull I got to split a bottle with a freind becuase if i wasted $9 on this I would be pissed.
It may be a hard rather unpleasent beer to most but its worth try it just to see peoples and your own reaction. Do it for the experience not the taste. (826 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

first off, judging this beer along the DIPA standard seems a little wacky; so i'm going to deviate a little in my rating

a: hazy yellow orange; effectively headless which is normally super sucky but can be common in long aged beers

s: tart sour yeasts; almost a raw rubber smell; smoky peat; some sweetness underneath but the smokiness is definitely most prominent

t: ummm....intensely smokey, i mean intensely so; light tart and citrus hops; just crazy smoky, almost too much to drink; and not a lot of hop character for an ipa

d: a little watery and basically carbless

m: hmmm...t the price that i got it at and that most people seem to have it is so not worth it (670 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours hazy, golden, copper color with very little carbonation. Faint aroma of the sea, peat, and lemons are pleasing of the nose. No trace of hop aroma to be found, if there, they are masked by the whisky cask. Sharp, acidic up front with peaty, iodine, almost salty flavors. Once again the hops aren't there. Very weak and thin on the palate. After on of these I have no desire for more.

IPA and Islay Whisky do not come together well on this brew. Crank up the hops and you might have something. (499 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -50.4%

Appearance: It poured cloudy and yellow with very little carbonation.

Smell: Skunky, smoky, some lemony citrus. Has strong over tones of the smell of ink and duplication fluid.

Taste: Sadly, the flavor was even stronger than the smell. I've read others talking about smoke and peat, but I taste ink and Windex. The bitter finish got stronger over time.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and acidic.

Drinkability: I found this beer undrinkable. I paid $8.99 and poured it down the drain after my wife concurred that it was very bad. I almost never do that.

SO glad I bought two bottles... not. Anyone wanna trade? ;) (607 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my double bastard glass. The pop of the cap lets off very little of a pop, and the low carbonation level is reasserted as I pour into the glass and receive little to no head. I'm definitely a little worried at this point that I may have a drain pour on my hands. Smell is very light...a little smoky and a little peat. I can't really pick up an aroma from the "New Zealand" hops, but I can't really pick up anything other than smoke and peat. The taste is a little shocking at first, but I definitely warm up to the uniqueness of the smoky flavor. Again, there isn't much there but smoke and peat, but the interestingness really keeps me sipping more. Drinkability is pretty low with the smokiness overwhelming the palate. Overall, probably not worth the 7.99 I paid, but I'm definitely glad that I tried this beer. It's absolutely unlike anything else I've had. (895 characters)

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog