Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) - BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

poor

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

4.07/5  rDev +48%

Unusual and pleasing IPA aged in Islay Whisky casks. Actually far more drinkable and subtle than what might have been suggested, but sure enough it is best suited for Islay aficionados.

Presentation: 33 cl brown capped bottle. Standard Brew Dog design with the worn graphics, blue lettering over dark blue. Braggy side narrative goes over main intent, brewing, ingredients, Notes batch 013, best by date ( 02-02-12), and 8% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

A - Lightly hazy deep golden pour, short struggling bubbles triy to show some head, fading quickly to leave a minimal surface memory ring, with small touches of lacing. Actually for a cask aged brew it is quite all right.

S - Gently Islay nose: typical smoked, peaty, and salty notes. Sweet fruity hint, less citric sense than what will touch the mouth later.

T - Smooth and soft notes of Islay, peat, weed, a bit salty. The hops are there slightly subdued like a second layer providing a nice soft lemony undertone. A sweet boozy warmth with a hint of caramel under the Islay character picks up the finish rather nicely.

M - Medium body, feeling a bit thinner at times, and with minimal carbonation. At one early point it does not seem so appealing, but as the flavor builds up in the back of the palate, and lingers, it flows remarkably well.

D - Great sipper, soft, long with a nice combination of nuances. Without much of an assertive character, if one enjoys peaty whiskies, how the brew takes a twist to support the range is quite remarkable.

Notes: This might be unfairly derided, at least on this incarnation. Sure enough, it is unusual, and not matching style, which is part of the point. And while some of the criticisms are interesting those that simple showcase the dislike of Islay or Whisky offer a misunderstanding which is a bit poor and lame. It is actually subtle, with plenty of nuances, and sure enough it will disappoint anyone hoping for a pungent DIPA, but the IPA undercurrent actually works well providing surprising undertones. Pricing feels steep but with these barrel agings they typically are... Caol Illa barrels in fact I was told, which I like, but precisely it is one of the most approachable Islays, and I could have done with a bit more character. But overall no complaints.

1.69/5  rDev -38.5%

After reading reviews, I was scared to try this...but I did it anyways. Pours an ugly yellow color with almost no head. This beer looks like it's gonna be still...ughhhh...Not off to a good start. Scent is lookin a little better. Scents of whiskey and leather with a hint of smokiness. Not too bad. Taste is where it goes completely downhill. Absolutely disgusting IMO. Tastes like barrel aged sweat socks and smoked plastic. I needed to pour this one down the drain. I think this beer would have to be my second drainpour ever. Mouthfeel was flat and disappointing. Drinkability is... DRAINPOUR. I've like Brewdogs beers up until now. Just plain gross...I don't know what they were shooting for with this one.

3.15/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Pours with a tiny covering of wide, fish eye bubbles that fade away rapidly and leave no lace. The body is a muddy, dark yellow color and very hazy. This might be the ugliest beer I have ever seen.

S - Lightly smoky, solventy whiskey. Light, sugary notes of plum, raisins, and pipe tobacco in the background.

T - Grainy malt notes up front with some spicy leather notes. The whiskey notes really start to come out in the middle with more leather as well as phenolic smoke and some greek olive notes. Things get a bit plastic-like in the finish with strong bitterness that accentuates the harshness.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation (though it isn't quite flat), and a slightly sweet finish.

D - It says on the back of the bottle that they only make beer that they want to drink, but I have a hard time believing that even the guys at Brewdog could enjoy this. Like some other Brewdog beers that I have had, this has immense potential, but in the end it is fatally flawed. The aroma is really quite excellent with a smoky, fruity, scotch character that is totally unexpected in a beer of this color but somehow matches it perfectly. The flavor is, unfortunately, no where near as successful. The smoke becomes excessively harsh and phenolic towards the finish and the strong bitterness of the hops only makes it worse. The last straw is the very low carbonation, it just leaves the beer flabby and dull with the afore mentioned harshness lingering on the palate. This could have been so much better...

3.35/5  rDev +21.8%

Despite the poor reviews for this beer, I find this to be a fun beer to drink. Storm is smooth, dry and easy to drink. I usually prefer a strong hoppy aftertaste from my IPA's but the smoke and whiskey flavor does make up for the lack of a strong hoppy taste. It is just an average beer, but different from anything else that I can find here in Canada, therefore it is a nice treat to have. Worth trying, maybe not worth the 6$ we charge for it here in Alberta Canada for the 330ml bottle.

1.41/5  rDev -48.7%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a very pale yellow orange with a minimal white head. Maintains nice lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of wood and mothballs (holy crap). The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall, HOLY SHIT! This thing is horrible. I was warned by another BA not to drink this in a LNBA thread, I should have listened. Drank around 4 ounces and the rest went down the drain. This thing is just plain nasty...

3.38/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very hazy. Pale light, yellowish orange color. No head, no bubbles. Some bright citris in aroma. Aroma very saturated in oak; very clean, almost sterile smelling aroma. Also, pick up some subtle smokiness. Very floral and grassy flavor. Clean oak finish. Moderate carbonation. Comfy fry finish, not overpowering or too dry. Also, citris peel found in lond aftertaste. Not super fruity with citris. Beer grows on me with each drink. Sterility of oak in flavor fades with warmth. With warmth also comes sweeter fruit notes come out, slightly Garbo gummibearish. Almost a belgiany breadiness when much warmer. The dryness of the finish also increases with the warmth. Probably wouldn't buy again unless I got it overseas at the source.

2.58/5  rDev -6.2%

Storm pours a flat, cloudy straw yellow into the glass with a tiny white bubbly head on top. The foam dissolves quickly to a thin ring around the surface leaving no lace behind. The appearance reminds me of an imperial IPA.

The aroma is filled with peaty smoke with a touch of alcohol and whiskey thrown in.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is slick on the palate with a mild carbonated snap on the tip of the tongue. Low carbonation. The flavor is much like the aroma, lots of peaty smoke. As the beer warms, some citrus hop notes and some malt sweetness are noticeable. It finishes bitter and once gone the peaty smoke lingers on the palate.

If you like Scotch or smokey beers you'd like this one. For my taste though I thought there was way too much peat and smoke.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

Keep in mind we started drinking this an dthen saw that the bottle said best before 02-02-2010 and we tasted it 11-1-2010..

My wife and I opened this even though we saw the rating and wanted to see what a "C" tasted like, and it was much worse more so of an "F" rating.

No carbinaion, golden yellow in color, taste was all smoke from the whiskey, very dry. First thought when I took a wiff was beef jerky. Maybe this was because the bottle was so out of date. but we were not fans. I wish I would have looked the bottle over before buying this.

This bottle was not finished, we took maybe four sips each thinking it might get better as you go.. that was not the case..

would not recommend

3.31/5  rDev +20.4%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark golden orangish color with very little carbonation in the glass.

S- The aroma is dominated by the smokey whisky barrel smells. Behind all the smokey whisky notes you can faintly pick up on some hops but they are just a faint hint.

T- The taste like the aroma carries a lot of the whisky flavors from the barrel aging with some faint watered down hops and malt in the background.

M- The mouthfeel is very faintly carbonated and watery. Almost like a soda that has been left out for a few hours and has just a little bit of carbonation left.

D- Overall, this is an interesting beer that is worth a try. I think the barrel aging took over the beer a little too much, I would like it more if the barrel aging and the IPA flavors were a little more balanced. Definitely worth a try though.

2.1/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i don't have enough hair on the bottom of my man parts for this one, i really gave it a chance... it did get better after 4-5 sips. very smokey, very bad initial impression after pouring with zero head, resembles urine . i'm glad i had one, but probably not going to purchase another

1.88/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Pale amber color, slightly muddy. Almost no carbonation. I have to literally dump it into the glass to get any kind of head. The head quickly subsides but leaves a thin layer of dishsoap-sized bubbles on the surface until the very end. Thin lacing.

S - PEAT! As soon as I start pouring I can smell the peaty, woody, scotch aromas. I can almost smell the ethanol. Smells like a scotch whiskey, but something's off.

T - Wow! I have to admit, after the first sip, I want to pour it out. After the second, I literally have the glass tilted over the sink, but I decide to ride it out. I take smaller sips and wait longer in between. The peat flavors and wood from the scotch barrel totally overpower the beer and sit at the front of my brain. I can think of nothing else. I give it a minute or two, and it starts to grow on me (not too much, though). Eventually I get past the initial shock of it all and I keep sipping.

M - Very thin, very little carbonation to tingle the tongue.

D - Definitely not for gulping, that's for sure. Baby sips.

I don't think I'll be trying this one again any time soon, but I'm glad I didn't end up dumping it out (especially at $8.99 for a 12oz bottle!). An interesting style, and I congratulate the creativity, but overall, I'm not impressed with this as a beer.

3.46/5  rDev +25.8%

A - Pours a very hazy gold into my pint glass with only a few large bubbles, no real head. Minimal carbonation. No lacing.

S - Aroma is very unique and inviting. If you enjoy scotch that is...
Very peat and smokey, some hops coming though and a bit of sweet malt and citrus.

T - This is a really tough rating for me because I do love scotch and appreciate the fusion of whiskey notes and IPA that has taken place here. With that being said, this has a very unique combination of bitter hops, smokiness, and peat. It almost a little too bitter, but not too surprised from Brewdog.

M - Medium in body, really lacking carbonation which I think could liven this one up a lot.

D - What a surprising brew! But even for the beer lover I can't say this is an easy drinker, but it is a nice sipper. Something really different that in my opinion is totally worth trying.

1.97/5  rDev -28.4%

Batch 012
Best by 02/02/12
I thought I had a bad bottle, but reading previous reviews, I guess this is what the beer is meant to be. Warning: Don't drink this beer.
It is a limpid yellow color with no head to speak of.
It has a bit of citrus aroma. No note of the whiskey barrel in which it is aged.
Slight grapefruit taste.
Flat.
Crappy beer.

1.29/5  rDev -53.1%

Wow. Shoulda known better when I saw them on sale. Zero carbonation, rotten egg aroma, tasted like the barrel and looked like something scraped from a pond bottom. What a horrible beer(?). If you see this beer on the shelf, don't pick it up even if it's free. A seriously flawed product, that frankly, reeked of contamination, and the obligatory drain pour followed. Ugh, I want my money back.

1.35/5  rDev -50.9%

11.2 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Off-centered pint glass. On sale at Specs for $1.99 a bottle!

A gentle 'hiss' when the cap is popped has me worried. Yep, another under-carbonated BrewDog beer, just as I feared. Storm looks like dirty dishwater with a soapy, unconsolidated head of spittle-colored bubbles. Cloudy body the color of muddled iced tea. The aroma is equally as unimpressive, with sharp, medicinal notes of booze singeing the nostrils with each sniff. Green, unchecked Islay whiskey notes smell peaty and harsh. The hops are OK, with a hint of banana, citrus, and tropical fruits, but the malts are almost non-existent.

Ugh. This stuff is awful. Thin on the front with a bit of piny hops and toasted caramel malt, but then the whiskey, charcoal, and peat assault the palate without remorse or balance, lingering long into the finish with a boozy spice. Mouthfeel is as watery as the appearance suggested, with little-to-no carbonation and a near-putrid, slick consistency. I've always tolerated BrewDog's antics, even though their beer never really struck a chord with me. But this takes the cake. Storm is absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted. I'm not swearing off BrewDog for good, but it's close.

Now if you'll excuse me, I hear the drain calling.

2.21/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle: Poured a hazy hay color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of Islay is quite dominant with some light traces of dry hops. Taste is totally dominated by Islay scotch which is enjoyable though dry aftertaste is a very weird mix. Body is quite full with low carbonation and no alcohol was apparent. While I really enjoyed Islay scotch I can't say that this was a really good mix. I couldn't finish the bottle and had to drain pour that one.

4.88/5  rDev +77.5%

Served from a 12oz bottle.

I should say that I am a huge fan of Ardbeg, Lagavullin and Laphroig so this is right up my alley.

A- Pours rich hazy gold with little head and no lacing.

S- Ardbeg supernova mixed in with some sugary hop water.... Its not a good thing... Its an amazing thing. Depp rich and smokey with tons of peat and a hidden citrus sweetness.

T-Up front it is a nice balanced slightly hoppy IPA with some nice citrus and pine notes. A good sweet malt backbone of toasted cereal grains and caramel honey. Then the back side slides in with a long tarry rope, smokey, peaty tobacco and smoky onslaught. Flat out amazing, maybe the perfect beer....for me at least.

M-The mouth feel is perfect for the beer. Not too much gas so it stays viscous and heavy with just enough Co2 to keep it slightly lively. The thick nature of this beer makes the long finish seem longer and better.

D-High, too high, the highest I can imagine a beer like this have. I love this beer, I could easily drink a few on a session and love every sip.

This is not for everyone. If you love big peat bombs; if Isle of Jura superstition is as light of peating you like in your dram; if you know the Ardbeg line in and out, this is your beer. This is without a doubt my favorite sipping beer, it is the perfect balance of my two favorite drinks. Much Respect....

2.21/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a cloudy golden color.
Smells like Islay scotch. The issue with this is, it is not a scotch.
The taste is just about the same, an islay scotch.
My issue is that this is not really much like a beer, and more like its barrel.

Not very drinkable.

2.35/5  rDev -14.5%

I hate when this happens. I see an expensive beer at a store that I've never read about and think it sounds like it would be awesome. Why do I never learn? This stuff was over $7 for one bottle and I could have easily averted the situation just by taking a look at the BA rating. When a beer is rated C overall...there's pretty much no chance I'm going to enjoy it. Warning to anyone who hasn't yet tried this stuff: it sucks. I wouldn't drink it if it cost $1.

Poured into a snifter, Brewdog Storm pours a golden-honey colour. The head consists of a ring of large bubbles around the glass. There's some visible carbonation and an apparent thin body.

Smells of peat, whiskey, Five Alive (yes, the cheap fruit juice blend) and Garfield fruit snacks (they haven't been around for a decade or so, it took me a while to remember what that specific smell was). Whiskey and Five Alive? I'm not sure how well those go together. Interesting, to be sure.

What the hell is this? Cardboard, cheap tropical fruit juice, cheap whiskey, alcohol, smoke. Smoked peat finish. Much too watery and all out of balance. I was intrigued by the idea of an Islay whiskey barrel-aged DIPA, but they didn't pull this off at all. Poorly executed attempt. What a waste of a scotch barrel.

You can see it on the pour, the body is much too thin. Low carbonation. Not good.

This stuff is horrible. Who would think this is good? I shared this with my dad and he thought it was terrible too. Not drinkable at all.

1.74/5  rDev -36.7%

This is one of the worst beers I have ever drunk. Hot, plastic, very weird off taste. Perhaps if I would have given it a chance to warm up a bit, something more MIGHT have come out, but after two sips of this, down the drain it went.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

2.3/5  rDev -16.4%

Apearance - Pours a dull and cloudy golden yellow with barely a cap of carbonation.

Nose- Lots of peat, smoke and some oceany smell that I have only smelled in islay scotches, but it seems over powering here. No normal beer smells evident.

Palate- Starts with a slight malt sweetness before a watered down islay scotch flavor drowns all.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and under-carbonated.

Drinkability- I like DIPAs and i like scotch, I won't be buying this beer again.

Overall- I would love to try this again if the base beer was more assertive.

1.83/5  rDev -33.5%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a smell head that faded pretty quickly. Very slight lacing as I drank it.

S - Smell is almost entirely whiskey. There is some smokey smell along with slight hops and malts. To me the whiskey smell is very overpowering.

T - Taste is very strange. Off the bat I am not enjoying this beer very much. There is a very strong but off whiskey flavor. I generally enjoy a good whiskey or scotch, but this flavor is off. Doesn't taste much like either. There is some smokey flavor along with hops at the end.

M - Mouthfeel is very thin with very little carbonation. But it is smooth and feels alright in the mouth.

D - Well considering I had a lot of trouble drinking this single beer. I don't think I would drink another. Tastes and smells to much like bad whiskey and is hard to put down.

Overall I guess I am glad to try the beer. But I really did not enjoy, this to strong of whiskey, not at all balanced. Maybe it was because I got this beer a little out of date 02/21/10 was the best buy date. Its a very strange beer and not to my tastes I can see why some would like it, but not something I would ever drink again. I would like to rate this beer higher for creativeness from BrewDog but it doesn't seem like a good DIPA to me or very tasty IMO so I just can't

3.61/5  rDev +31.3%

Pours a clear golden orange/amber color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source with a very thin fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

Smokey malt aroma with a very prominent whiskey/peat character. Earthy oak in the with slight citrus hops but the nose is overwhelmingly dominated by whiskey. I wish that the hops were more evident but this beer still smells pretty good.

Medium bodied but on the lighter end. Very unique combination of smokey malt, earthy oak, peaty whiskey flavors and citrus/piny hops. Subtle hints of pine needle and lemon/orange peel. Decent amount of alcohol warmth but along with the peat and whiskey it adds to the flavor. Sweet yet dry finish.

3.55/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours dingy orange/yellow with a nonexistent head. Hazy, almost cloudy appearance. Smells somehow off, lots of wood from the whiskey barrel but without any of the malt or hops that would balance that. Smells much like... scotch.

Flavor is weird. Tastes woody and astringent at first, bitter and unpleasant, but after drinking for a few minutes this gains some complexity. Still lots of smokey wood, but a nice wallop of hops and smoke on the back of the tongue. Finishes very dry and somewhat astringent. No significant carbonation or hoppiness on the tongue, moderate thickness, slightly chewy.

I feel somewhat underqualified to review this beer, to be honest. I've never had an Islay Scotch, so if this is what they taste like then obviously this is within the brewer's intention for the beverage. If so, I think I'd prefer to get the real thing straight up in Scotch form than masquerading as an IPA. In any case, the casual fan of India Pale Ales looking for a hop fix should shy away from this, as it has few if any of the characteristics they're looking for. Worth a shot, though, if only to put it in the "love it or hate it" category.

3.32/5  rDev +20.7%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before 2/2/10 so it's a bit past it's best by date. Served in an oversized wine glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about a 1/4 inch white head. Not much head retention, but there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is pretty nice, it smells like peat and smoke, just like a good smoky scotch whisky. I don't notice any other aromas, the smoke/peat is pretty overpowering, not that I'm complaining. However, the taste isn't quite as good as the aroma. I can still taste the peat and smoke, but there's also a weird plasticy taste noticable. It's not bad tasting, but it's a weird enough taste that I can't rate this beer above average on taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is average, but I probably rated this higher than most overall because I like smoky scotch whiskies. It's not great, but I thought it was worth a try.

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog