Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) - BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

poor

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

Was very curious about this beer. The appearance was similiar to any IPA-golden and a little hazy. Smell was huge on the scotch and smoke. The taste was big on the smokey, peaty, scotch. barely picked up a note of hops, but it tasted like a scotch on the rocks that had melted. Mouthfeel was dominated by the smoke and was certainly very mildly carbonated. Drinkability was a huge issue as a normal human probably can handle about 3 oz. or less of this beer. Overall, it's a weird beer, but unique enough to try once. (517 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -53.2%

Really wanted to like this beer - I love Islay whiskies, DIPAs, and barrel aged beers, so go figure right? Unfortunately, upon pulling this out of the cellar after two months and eagerly cracking it open with some friends, here is what we found:
Appearance: pale yellow and slightly murky, no sediment
Smell: little to no hop character or malt, just vaguely smoked whiskey,
Taste: stale, acrid taste of an old burnt barrel with residual bitterness but little malt to balance; any smooth subtlety of a well aged scotch or similar beer was completely absent,
Mouthfeel: very thin for a supposed double,
Drinkability: poor, three sips was all anyone would take before we had to throw it out.

Hopefully you're reading the reviews before buying a bottle. Save your beer money for something (anything) else. (803 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +33.8%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer, but what I got isn't like anything I could have imagined.

It pours a hazy golden colour like an unfiltered wheat but a shade or two darker, and with no head whatsoever. The aroma is immediately peaty and oh so redolent of an Islay malt. I like that in a whisky... not so sure about it in a beer. The peat comes through in spades (no pun intended) in the flavour, along with some malty sweetness up front and a nice bitter finish. There are definitely hops in there but the peat overpowers everything. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

The score I give this might end up lower than it really ought to be. It's... an interesting beer. Not one that I could drink all night but worth the occasional purchase. I think a more subtle peat character would be better. More power to BrewDog's elbow for giving it go. (853 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +9.7%

Still having a hard time believing this is a DIPA instead of a mediocre flanders or beligan pale ale or something of that kin. Poured a clear gold body with some fizzy head on top of a sour, almost skunky smell with little hoppiness present. Taste is more of the same as it's murky and the hops are subdued. A sour citrusy flavor with hints of woodiness but it comes across a little flat and watery and the finish is rather unpleasant, hence the low drinkability. (463 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, gold colour with absolutely no head.

The aroma is mostly smoky Islay scotch. Peaty with some light sweet malt notes coming through. Definately no hops. Interesting and not unappetising for a scotch lover.

Burning rubber, overdrawn, overroasted coffee. This is really smoky and over done. The smoke overpowers everything. I get just a hint of sweetness on the start and finish to make this drinkable. While I think that Islay whisky should be generally left to the stouts I can sort of get this as I drink more. If I look at this less as barrel aged IPA and more as a Strong Ale I think this sort of works as a form of Islay scotch that I can drink (almost) a pint of.

Medium body with moderate carbonation is fine and works okay.

This is a tough one to judge. I can drink it. Will I buy it again? Probably not. Is it worth the alcohol units? Arguably not. Nonetheless a drinkable beer given the time in Islay casks and if you look at it in the right light. (983 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -9%

The beer pours cloudy yellow and looks about like a hefeweizen. The aroma is like a very peaty scotch. I know it was aged in scotch casks but I expected more of an IPA aroma. The flavor is similar to the smell, as it tastes like cheap scotch. No real apparent hop or malt flavor, just peaty, smokey scotch. The beer poured almost flat with little to no carbonation. I appreciate the effort of aging an IPA in scotch casks, but the casks took over the beer instead of accenting it. This is a miss for me. (503 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

Appearance: A hazy, golden orange body with only the very barest hints of white head. It looks strikingly like a glass of warm... well, it doesn't look like the style standard.

Aroma: Juicy citrus, something herbal (almost medicinal), and a big alcohol component. There's sweetness beneath it all, but it's not well defined. As different as this is, it's either going to be very good or very bad.

Flavor: Unfortunately, it's the latter. At first, it tasted like a barbeque sauce soda. Lots of soggy, musty wood notes over a bizarre, beer-like base. There's a hint of something citrusy up front, but the wood almost instantly overwhelms it. The aftertaste is smoky and woody, and after a few minutes, could almost be described as pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: I'll be charitable and just say "poor." The majority is destined for the drain.

Verdict: Holy shit, this is bad. At first, I was tempted to blame everything on this being an old bottle, but the bottle claims it's good for months to come. Combine that with how odd the other BrewDog "IPA" I've tried was, and I have to conclude this is not a fluke. Avoid like the plague, especially at the exorbitant price. (1,222 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +10.4%

Nose is smoky/porky like rauchbier, fruity like a rich macerated fruit pie filling, and floral/perfumy like an old lady's house. So it kind of smells like my grandparents house on thanksgiving. Smells good.

Pours clear pale straw, mild head. Looks pretty good.

Very thin and bitter, bitter like over-extracted tea that's too old, with strong smoked character suggesting that where other brewers use charcoal filters they filtered through used charcoal... kind of ashy and cigar-butt-like, and it finishes with a kiss of floral perfume / medicinalness that reminds me of Lysol. Tastes weird. Feels okay. Doesn't have drinkability, but it is fucking interesting.

Zeitgeist in a bottle... I'll vouch for that. Seriously though, this is quite awful, but interesting. Stay weird BrewDog. (786 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed 8/15/2009 (Bottle Batch 013 BB 02/02/10):

Pours an nearly no head, white, diminishing. Cloudy orange-colored body. Hoppy aroma, somewhat citrusy, but more lime than grapefruit. Woody aroma, some earthiness and spice to it. Some fruit. Interesting aroma, not like anything I've tried, might be the Islay whiskey aging. Some dark fruit and spiciness. Spicy taste,strong smoke flavor, sweet. Sweet smoky aftertaste, somewhat ashy. Very flat tasting. Interesting combo of smoke and bitterness and fruitiness. I don't like it too much. (540 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz bottle from Calgary, best before of 2011. Pours a hazy light wheat/golden, certainly lighter than your average IPA or DIPA. Finger of creamy white foam, maintains a decent lacing, good retention, a few small wisps stick to the glass.

Nose is all Islay - wet wood smolders atop a bed of Scottish moss and peat. Very woody, slight hints of a hop in there somewhere, certainly not standing out.

This is certainly a very interesting concept and I think, while this one misses the mark, there is some potential here. Strong smoldering wood, peat, smoke, earth, wood - light pale malt base with just a hint of hop brightness and bite in the finish. I feel this would work really well with a nice sharp hop bite to counter the bold peat smoke of the Islay, could be dangerously good. This one however is one-dimensional, all smoke and wood. Light body, without the Islay it would be bland. Light carb but there.

Not all that drinkable at this point, a sipper that takes time for your buds to acclimatize. Still, not as terrible as some of the reviews make it out - you just need to know what you're getting into before buying this bottle. Islay = smoke. Storm = Islay. Storm = smoke. Too bad it wasn't more balanced and more of an IPA. No hint of the ABV. Nice long dry finish. (1,278 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +19.1%

This beer is ridiculous. It taste like licking a spatula after grilling a really seasoned whiskey marinated piece of meat. So much smoke in the smell and in the taste. No carbonation at all. A tiny bit of head that laced a bit of the glass. So much whiskey smoke flavor, words can't describe. I like it one sip then I don't like it the next. Crazy crazy brew complements of Brewdog. Will never drink one again but I'm glad I got to try it. (439 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.6%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A very minimal bubbly white head forms and sticks around as a small cap. No lace.
S: Malty, dry, moldy wood. Dry dark fruits, maybe some citrus aromas as well. Though mostly a very odd musky, moldy, wood.
T: This is not good at all. Dry moldy wood. Some smoke, more like charcoal. Bread and biscuit. It literally tastes like moldy bread.
M/D: A medium body and low on the carbonation. Sticky, oily, and soapy. This is plain awful to drink. I can not take more than a few sips without cringing. This will be a drain pour.

Just bad. That is all I have to say. Avoid at all costs. (608 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +27.3%

Sampled on 8-30-09
Batch 13
Best before 2-2-10

Pours a very cloudy yellow color, no head, almost no carbonation at all, and just a hint of lacing. Looks kind of like pee.

Smell is odd, a distinct band-aid quality, and a slight fruitiness. Wood and peat, that's what it is. The dirtiest, earthiest beer I've ever smelled. Very interesting, if not particularly pleasant.

Taste is extreme peat, at an almost disgusting level. Once you get past it though, the bitter hops come through and really create a fascinating beer.

Mouthfeel is almost completely flat, much like a cask beer. Somehow it suits the experience.

Drinkability is poor, the crazy flavor and mouthfeel could be a major turn-off.

Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had. Try it if you have the opportunity. (786 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Good Lord, are they trying to kill me? Is the combination of a lightly flavored IPA and a Scotch Whisky barrel a good idea? Whatever the answer, the exploration proves challenging and ballsy.

A serious whiff of peated whisky barrels raise from the glass in aggressive smokey, woodsy, and boozy fashion. Any reminescent of beer is suppressed but a tobacco, fruity, agave (tequilla) note rises from the glass making me quesiton which aisle of the store I bought this bottle.

A glance at the pour gives a deep straw, moderately golded color with a significant haze. A mild head formation gives loosely knit bubbles and a sparse lacing on the glass. Not exactly the most appealing looking beverage.

Flavors of smoked grains, vegital additions, and fruity esters are all over the place. Again tobacco and tequilla combine with the heavy peated barrels to give a grainy, boozy concoction that proves too difficult for my beer-oriented palate. However if complexity is what you are after, knock you socks off with this one.

Textures are medium with some barrel-tannins but the light grains (is that pilsner) provides the softest of maltiness that helps to buffer the surfaces of the mouth from the woodsy whisky textures. A bit more carbonation would further lift the beer from the mouth giving a much needed repreive from the aggression of non-beer elements of this brew.

The individual flavors are acutally quite pleasant, but combined this beer suffers greatly. I love bacon. And, I love ice cream. I'm just hoping that Baskin Robins doesn't gain any inspiration from this post. (1,579 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +15.5%

A-A hazy light orange liquid with some yellow highlights. A bubbly, splotchy white head gives it some character. Doesn't look too bad.

S- Whoa man, the scotch character really jumps out with a big hit of peat and smoke. I can get a hint of hoppiness in there as well, but overall this smells like watered down scotch whisky.

T- Loads of smoke and peat with some oak as well. That is about all I can get out of this. At least it hides the alcohol really well.

M- Rather creamy and smooth at first but seems a tad watery on the tail end.

D- Well, this beer was a great idea, but something fell apart and the scotch barrel characteristics completely overrode the beer. Drinks rather nicely for the alcohol content though. (722 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%

Storm pours a light amber/golden color that is almost glowing when held to the light. The head it small on this one, akin to those beers with super high alcohol content. Once everything settles down this is a very appealing pour and a beer that begs to be enjoyed (hopefully).

Wow, the nose on this one is SMOKE-Y! Lots of the smoked peaty notes coming from the barrel aging that is for sure. There is some saltiness and some ocean type smells that really set this one apart as one of the most unique beers I've ever smelled. The smokey/peaty whisky smells really dominate and I've not been able to get anything else from the nose.

The taste is...unique. Plenty of smokiness going. Plenty of peatiness going on. Sort of metallic and barbecue-esque as well. There is a sliiiight hint of some citrus and hoppiness in the finish but you need to wade throw quite a bit of smokey whisky flavor to experience it. Very interesting...I like it but I don't love it.

Why a strong IPA? That is my question...a smokey strong porter would be so great! Age a nice hoppy porter in some of these barrels, that would be amazing! The hops in this are so far gone and the smoke just dominates the delicate IPA flavors.

Worth a try just to experience this beer for what it is. This is definitely one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. It is NOT bad by any means, but its almost as if BrewDog just chose the wrong style for the barrel...next time lets do something darker! (1,465 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased for $7.99 from Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio last week into my Murphy's Irish Red pint glass.

A Absolutely no head despite a moderate effort to get one with a vigorous pour. Body is a boring looking translucent orange/light brown. 2.0

S Well thank God we don't just stop at the appearance when we rate beers. What a great smell! There are smoky touches, whiskey notes and a nice malt presence. The smoke I believe predominates as it reminded me of a Rauchbier and I was even reminded of smoked bacon. Great smelling and inviting. 4.5

T Wow...the smell really carries over into the taste...in a good way. Smokiness of this beer is so prominent it is a bit too much (like when you are sitting near a campfire and you get blasted with a breeze of hot, pungeant smoke in your face. I also taste the whiskey which to me is not that far removed from the smoky taste. Interesting, big and bold.

M As stated, a huge beer but no carbonation at all. I will take points off for that. I think significant carbonation would compete too much with the taste (that was my problem with other beers that I recently tasted/reviewed) but a nice creamy carbonation would really do this beer well.

D Not all that high due to the big tastes, ABV.

Notes: Certainly an interesting beer. Try this if you love Rauchbiers or huge, bold beers (or both). The whiskey barrel aged aspect really worked. (1,433 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +47.1%

I am a big Islay fan- Laphroaig being my favorite. Heard alot of abd things about this beer- roudy, hard to drink, etc. I found it complex and smooth, albeit lacking much carbonation...

A- Cloudy copper-orange with just a few bubbles of carbonation; no head, but a thin halo around the top of the pour. Like most cask ales, this is an obviously unfiltered offering, excusably cloudy.

S- Initially the smell is dominated by earthiness, peat, wood, whiskey, and mainly near phenolic smoke. As the beer warmed more subtle complexities emerged- vanilla, white pepper, apricot. After sipping and getting into the beer, the smoke dissipated and left just the woody, vanilla, pepper and hints of fruit in the nose.

T- Again, the first several sips were dominated by smoke and wood, as is to be expected. It was not as shocking to my taste buds as I expected from other peoples' reviews. I enjoyed the biting smoke flavor. After drinking for a few minutes, the smoke fades to the background and a caramel-malt, toffee-like flavor comes forward, some vaguely fruity hops in the background and some peppery quality from the wood emerges.

M- Very light, thin mouthfeel, as can be found in most wood-aged beers (save for Imp. stouts). Carbonation is light, almost non-existent, and would be my only complaint. Most cask-ale is fairly light on carbonation, so I looked past it. The smoke lingers in the mouth the first few sips, and the bite of wood and alcohol coats the mouth.

D- Not an every day beer by any means, but definitely something worth trying, and something I will revisit often. (1,587 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +11.9%

I love the Islay whiskeys and I love beer so why wouldn't I like this, well here is why. Barely any head, what was there was white. The body was a clear gold with some orange hues. I love the smell of an Islay whiskey so this smell was up there for me, peaty smoke, a hint of biscuit malt, and some orange peel. The taste - mouthfeel was way off. Very little carbonation in this beer, I think if there was more carbonation the flavors would bite a little more. There is a woody smokey malt flavor with an ending of some piney bitterness, but the flatness kills the flavors. (573 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked this beer up at the Atascocita Spec's since it was a new addition. I have never tried anything from Brewdog, but they are pretty proud of their beers as they are pretty costly. Let's hope that it stands up to the price.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat burnt orange color with very little head. It is pretty cloudy, and it looks like it has no intention of clearing up.

Aroma: The aroma of the wood is all over this beer. It has a rather dry fresh wood aroma it is so strong. This beer sat for a while in the cask, no doubt. Other than this, I get some evident hops, though they are not citrusy at all and add a somewhat grassy note to the aroma. There is a peat thing in here that is becoming more evident as it is starting to warm up some.

Taste: Well, the aroma is not as assertive and woody as I would have thought from the aroma. The wood is there, and it is not really adding a vanilla or anything, but more like saw dust or something. There is some serious complexity to the flavor, and I would almost call it a blend of phenols as much as malt, hops and such. The beer comes across quite bitter in the finish, and there is some hops along with the phenolic-like wood notes that sits on the back of the throat and makes sure that you don't forget that you drank this beer for quite a few minutes. There is little contribution to the mouthfeel from any carbonation, and the alcohol is noticeable...but gets washed out by the other flavors that linger in the finish.

Opinion: Overall I didn't think that this was the best beer that I have ever tried by any means. I applaud their liberal use of wood, and the other beer I got from them was a wood aged beer as well. I have to say that I am not a big fan of IPA's in the first place, but I don't really think that the wood is helping this beer. It is making it come across to me almost like it is infected...especially with the peat coming out more and more as it warms. Unfortunately, this beer is a little rough to drink. (1,987 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -4.3%

Tasted again with very different feelings than my first few bottles.

Pours a clear amber orange with a very thin white head that rapidly fades.

Nose is all Scotch...period. Some fruit character and a lot of peat, (latikia tobacco) in the nose. You'll love it or hate it; I love it.

Mouthfeel is a disappointment. It is thin and lacking in body and lacking carbonation.

Flavors are just off-putting and the disappointment continues. Tastes like watered down Scotch mixed with a lightly hoped beer and with no integration, elegance or grace. Flavors go from watered down fruit/smokey Scotch to a grapefruit bitter finish that's not bad. Unfortunately, flavors are just not pleasant; beer is not balanced and not particularly attractive in the mouth
* * *
FIRST REVIEW; BETTER BOTTLE?
(This review was a "B.") Honey amber in color with a quick white head. Great smokey, peat nose followed by like flavors of smoke, peat and citrus.

Very nice mouthfeel, body and balance. A very full peat grapefruit hop finish. Leaves a peat/smokey finish.

This is a nice "different" brew. Not sure how it pairs with food but it's worth the taste as it has something pleasant going on for it.
* * *
Perhaps this strange beer needs yet a third serious tasting. We'll see.... (1,264 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I've been more or less avoiding the Islay cask offerings from this brewer, but today I was presented an opportunity to try it, alongside a 12-year-old Lagavulin, no less...

This beer pours a clear golden yellow hue, with a whiff of thin soapy white head, that leaves limited spotty lace around the glass. No need to lean into the glass to guess what this is going to smell like - I can discern that quite readily by holding the freshly-poured glass at a full arm's length: that acrid, eye-burning, been camping all week stench that is embedded peat smoke. No surprise, I suppose, it does say 'Islay' and 'Whisky' on the label, but wow, is it intense. Leaning closer to the actual glass, the smoke just gets denser, but in the deepest dark, there is but a light! A weird, unexpected light, but light nonetheless - the distinct calling card aroma of the DIPA - grapefruit and pine hops, blended with a caramel malt. Thus begins the Jekyll and Hyde experience that is this freak show...

The taste is much like the smell: big peat smoke right off the bat, but I'll admit, the smoke dissipates after a spell, to reveal the underlying malt and fruit, just like in its well-made Island Malt cousins. The caramel malt and citrus hops are there, but battered and singed by the remains of the sinus-clearing smoke. I can't call the taste, or the smell, 'good' - 'accurate', maybe, but not good. The carbonation is moderate, essentially there to remind you that what you're drinking is beer, the body is a wee bit thin, and it finishes as it started - peaty.

In case it isn't clear, my tastes in Scottish whisky tend toward Speyside, so peat isn't my thing. Set next to a dram of the big peaty Islay Malt, this beer holds its own. That's not my issue - it's just as advertised. However, not all good things are meant to be mixed together, and this is a prime example. Any of the intense hops and malt character of the supposed base DIPA are lost under the assault of smoke. If you like the thought of burnt tropical fruit, be my guest. (2,027 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +21.6%

From a 330 ml brown bottle. Bright, translucent honey-like amber in appearance, very brief frothy white head on the pour.

All I can really pick up in the aroma is the smell of peaty whisky, which isn't all that bad as I enjoy the stuff greatly, however it tends to leave a very one-dimensional impression.

Once again, mostly smokey, peaty whiskey in the flavour, while some herbal hops manage to break through in the finish, and struggle to stay on the radar in the aftertaste over the smokey peat. Only when it is practically room temperature does the peat and hops tend to blend amicably in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, not much carbonation.

I give Brewdog credit for the experiment, however at least with this batch the peat is too overpowering to do this IPA any justice for what it potentially may have to offer. If you enjoy smoke and peat then this is right up your alley, otherwise there isn't really anything else being offered. (959 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +38.5%

11.2 oz. bottle for $8.99. I could get a 6-pack for that price.

Hazy blonde, light and thin white head kicks around for a long time, settles down fast with good remaining coverage.

The nose is very strange and unique. wine-cork, soft vanilla, tangerine, wet cedar wood, slight cardboard, sugar coated grapefruit & heather honey. The hops give off the fruitiness and the cask aging brings out some of the crazy aroma's like vanilla and cedar wood. i've never smelled another brew like it.

this is a tangy-fruity IPA with a huge amount of cask-aging effects like, vanilla all over the place, oak wood and a decent amount of heat that is reminisant of whiskey. Then a dry, and bitter hop flavor rolls in with acorns and mellowed by the fruitiness of pineapple. sure the flavor is odd, but with it being aged in cask just like a traditional IPA would be i'm enjoing the oddity. This brew makes you think about what's happeing, bonus points for originality. An herbal, slightly bitter hop effect comes back and acidic fruits roll in, cedar, oak is back with a heck of a lot of heat. The vanilla from the barrel aging is a sweet current and a rather smooth effect. The feel is soft and relaxed as it should be after being layed down for a while. no zip, no bite here, it's pretty mellow.

The vanilla and woody aspects makes this one tough to achieve a decent balance, but hey! it's different. complexity is good but it's trade-off with the weirdness.

If you don't mind spending a 6-pack worth of $$$ on a single, i say try it out, you only live once. (on this plane) (1,571 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance - pours a slightly cloudy straw, deep and golden in color. Pretty much zero head save for a few watery bubbles around the collar. Meh.

Aroma - smoky, peaty malts, through and through. No hop presence at all. Is this really a double IPA? Doesn't smell like it. Smells pretty interesting though.

Taste - instant bitterness and smoke, everything the beer has to show, it does so immediately. The hops are raw, harsh, and unpleasant. The malts are smoky like a rauchbier, which I like. The aftertaste and finish, though, are a 2nd act for the hops. I'll get through it by focusing on the barreling, but I don't care for this beer.

Mouthfeel - a little smooth, medium-body and weight.

Drinkability - one of the most unpleasant beers I ever spent eight bucks on. Live and learn. (787 characters)

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog