BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Port Dundas 1966 barrels

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2008)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by erz316:
erz316

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

batch 013 with a best before of 02/02/10, served into la chouffe snifter.

A - christ almighty! have they even bothered to prime any of these goddamn beers?! the head is nothing more than the offspring of the increasingly hard pour i made. the colour is a light cream. the body is super pitch black. looks pretty much like the islay one I just had. I dont really know what to say, they all pretty much look the same disappointing way. these oak casks must be fucking magical because they suck out all the carbonation and body from these brews, except for the very first one I had.

S - this one, however, does smell a bit different. a little less smokiness, less peat, and a bit more malts. there is this a odd caramel-port/sweet wine note that is slightly fruity; maybe even a touch of cocoa powder. the only problem with all of this is that the brew doesn't smell very strongly, it is quite weak and one has to search for the aromas; but they smell pretty good, so i'll bump up the score.

T - the taste is the best so far of the recent ones had. the initial is a huge amount of malts, raisins, figs, some brown sugar, and whiskey spiciness and alcohol. I really enjoy this flavour but I cant find much that makes me think 'stout!'. the fig raisin thing it has going on is quite good; the sweetness from this sensation is most like a brown sugar, with a touch of raw molasses. the finish is much sweeter than would be expected: there is a distinct prune taste, quite very much pruny. the aftertaste is a bit astringent , but mostly malty and charred oaken whiskey. a nice finish for a questionable stout.

MF&D - that is not the texture of an imperial stout, yet again. this one might be the thickest yet of all the recent ones i've tried, but at best it is a medium. the carbonation is still lacking enough to really bring down the score. the drinkability is alright, but I want something big, carbonated, and thick (much like my penis, sans the carbonated aspect)!

I have to approximate what I thought the ratings are, because the goddamn site crashed when trying to submit a review.

09-18-2009 13:52:50 | More by erz316
dsshuck

Delaware

05-20-2014 00:22:53 | More by dsshuck
John_M

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked up a bottle for on site consumption at Highland Stillhouse pub the other day. Was curious to see what a "few" years in bottle has done for this beer.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty decent head retention and lacing. Considering the age, carbonation seemed to be OK in this beer, which was a concern. The nose is the best feature at this point in the beer's life, as I pick up light vanilla, considerable peat, some coffee and light chocolate. On the palate, the flavor profile has softened considerably. I still picked up all the same characteristics I noticed in the nose, but there really is nothing like the intensity of flavor I was getting from Paradox beers back when they were first released. Mouthfeel is now very soft and creamy, and the finish was a bit short. Alcohol is still very well integrated into the flavor profile, and there was no heat on the finish.

This was a fun beer to try (prices were reasonable as well - I think Stillhouse prices are the same for this beer as they likely were 5 or 6 years ago), but on the other hand, it's pretty clear that the beer's best days are behind it. If I owned any more Paradox beers (which I don't), I would want to drink them up ASAP, as it seems fairly apparent they are not going to improve further with age (at least that was my impression, based on this beer).

05-15-2014 15:32:43 | More by John_M

02-14-2014 03:32:42 | More by hopley
ricknelson

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Paradox Port Dunas Americam Double imperial Stout from BrewDog. This brew did not do well in our tasting finishing dead last in 12th with an average
rating of 3.50. Although the age of this bottle was likely the reason. It was 6 years old. The other
BrewDog we tasted (Tokyo) finished 4th with an average rating of 4.25

bigbeers84

09-24-2013 01:47:44 | More by bigbeers84
TMoney2591

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Digging the Smokehead and Arran batches, I continue to search out more batches of this series. This one pours a very dark and murky black-brown (imagine pouring chocolate syrup into your favorite cola) topped by a minimal covering of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises whiskey, roasted malts, booze, old oak, and a sprinkling of vanilla here and there. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey so far front and center that everything else is left in its shadow and wake. It's a bit much at times, but it somehow still works to some degree. The body is a stolid medium, with a rather light carbonation and a sorta/kinda slick and fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough entry, but it lacks the character of the other barrels. Perhaps this particular whiskey is of the more mellow variety?

08-18-2013 07:49:51 | More by TMoney2591
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BrewDog rocks, but I had no idea this beer was hard to find. A few weeks ago someone on Facebook said that an AJ's Fine Foods had a few bottles of it. I asked him about it, know it was on the "list,", and he said to hurry as the beer is not only limited but also hard to find. So I left work, headed to AJ's and grabbed a bottle. I haven't had this before, but I do like scotch. I am not sure what bottle we have, but I am sure they are all similar. I am not even sure the bottle says. I will look in a little bit when I open the bottle.

I was hoping to review a bomber tonight, but we only have 3 cold and nothing sounded good. I hope I made the right decision with the BrewDog. Cheers!

In the Glass: Flat. The beer is flat. There is no head at all, and no lace to speak of. Granted, the bottle says, "best before 02/02/10," but it's 10%. It should cellar well. This makes me nervous. I hope, for $10, we didn't get a bad bottle. This is not a beer I can just run to Total Wine and grab. I hope it smells good. Let's see.

Nose: Booze. Then sweet. Then back to booze. Holy cow, that smells like straight alcohol. That puts me at ease that it will taste OK. I like big beefy stouts like this, and I am on a whiskey kick lately. I hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Smelling this I want some ice cream and a spoon. If I didn't know what this was, I would think it was a spirit before I would consider it a beer. Here we go… I am still nervous, you know!

Flavor: Whoa. It's flat, but that doesn't affect the flavor. I know it's only 10%, but it smelled like booze. It's quite balanced, and while there isn't much carbonation, it still has a great flavor. I am not getting as much whiskey as I wanted, but it is a stout that will get great as it heats sup.

Oh, the label says, "Port Dundas." This is batch 013… Not sure what that means, but BeerAdvocate has them listed as separate beers. I would love to do a vertical of them all, but I fear that day has passed.

Mouthfeel: It's flat. There is nothing going on here. It drinks like water. If you move it around in your mouth, you get SO much more flavor. The whiskey flavors really come out, and it puts just enough carbonation in it to make it enjoyable. This isn't the best beer I have had, but it is a good example of an American double stout. I do want more whiskey flavor, though.

Aftertaste: The finish is sweet, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to. It almost becomes drying, but after a few swallows, it gets really mellow. For a beer that has 10% ABV it is drinkable and offers a lovely experience. I just saw on the label, "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dunas 166 cask." I guess that explains it!

It's good, but it's not worth writing home about. I am glad it wasn't bad considering what it looked like in the glass. I do like BrewDog, and we have a few more beers from them on the list. Challenge accepted! Cheers!

08-17-2013 05:40:38 | More by rickyleepotts

Kentucky

07-09-2013 16:37:33 | More by mrfrancis
Resuin

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Batch 13. This was bottled on 02/02/08 which is a little over 5 years ago as of this review.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown (just a shade lighter than black) and leaves no head whatsoever.

Smell: Sweet vanilla, oak and whiskey lead the way along with dark chocolate and malts.

Taste: Follows the nose, but the flavors are a bit subdued. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, malts, plums and figs. All are very balanced and surprisingly light. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouth-feel: Nearly completely flat which I'm not a huge fan of. Medium bodied and this one goes down really smooth.

Overall: This was an interesting stout. The lack of carbonation didn't help it though - the flavors were all great and so well balanced, but the lack of carbonation was very noticeable. Definitely still an enjoyable stout and the age has really mellowed this one out.

05-18-2013 23:01:15 | More by Resuin
guezarka

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

05-03-2013 00:57:18 | More by guezarka
kjkinsey

04-22-2013 00:29:50 | More by kjkinsey
ElCommodoro

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

The aroma of this beer is far better than the taste. It smells of sweet, sugary alcohol, whiskey, chocolate and cola.
A lot of this is not present in the flavour. It is surprisingly thin (which I enjoyed, but diminishes its ability to have flavour intensity, I'm sure). It is a very sweet stout with a nice whiskey smoothness. It's not as hot as I would expect from the smell. The alcohol is not really up front. There's chocolate flavour, but its masked a lot by the whiskey and sweetness. The cola I smelled is not in the flavour profile. It's enjoyable because I like strong, sweet beers, but I wouldn't buy it again considering the high price tag. It's the oldest beer I've ever had. Over 5 years old. Damn. I wasn't old enough to buy this when it was bottled. It was a nice experience, but I can get better sweet alcohol from Blithering Idiot at a much more reasonable price.

04-09-2013 05:47:59 | More by ElCommodoro