BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Port Dundas 1966 barrels

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2008)
View: Beers (125) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
champ103

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Pours nearly opaque black. Just a bit of brown around the edges. A tiny, bubbly tan head forms on a very vigorous pour. That vanishes in a second, and no lace.
S: Burnt toast, moldy wood, chocolate, light dark fruits. Just kind of blah, and not very well incorporated.
T: Again, burnt toast, charred wood, chocolate, and dark fruits. Soured lactic milk. Hot alcohol.
M/D: The body is way to light and thin. Under carbonated as well. Plenty of alcohol, a very slow sipper.

Not the worst that BrewDog has to offer, but still not something I am going to revisit. Just ho hum and below average.

12-03-2011 20:43:57 | More by champ103
seedsofchaos

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

Was able to score this beer at my local bottle shop for a special toast for NYE. A bit pricey at $13/bottle but I figured it might be worth it for ringing in the new year as it came highly recommended by my local's resident beer geek. I was under-impressed with this Paradox and think that some of the better reviews might actually stem from the rarity of the brew instead of the actual overall quality.

I was excited with the pour as this Imperial bellowed into our glasses a perfect jet black. I imagined fanciful aromas from the 1966 Port Dundas barrels as the thin head materialized and then... collapsed under the alcohol's weight. Dark khaki bubbles skim the surface of this black lagoon but no bouquet flung itself into my nostrils as I had hoped.

A bit of green wood, a bit of roast, a touch of vanilla, a touch of bourbon... a touch of this... a touch of that... If noses could cry...

Flavor echoes bouquet. Not much here. A bit of smokey/charred oak, a bit of baker's chocolate, a touch of sweetness and maybe some vanilla. Under everything there is a slight taste of bourbon. I had gone in expecting too much. I wanted a flavor explosion but received a sparkler.

Body is much to thin for a double or imperial anything. Medium-light. Almost borders on light enough to take shots of it...

I'm not really for ticking, but this would really be the only reason why I could see someone buying a bottle of this Paradox. Sure, it's rare. Sure, your friends probably have never had it. But, when you could use the same money to buy 2 or 3 great brews, why bother?

01-03-2012 16:50:42 | More by seedsofchaos
oso

03-13-2014 05:17:09 | More by oso
TheKingsOfHop

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Batch 013 with a best before of 02/02/10;
Poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: Black body with a tan foam edge around the top.

S: Strong vanilla with a whiskey and butterscotch aroma. Undertones of dark fruit, molasses, and oak.

M: Light to medium body, warm chest from the ABV. No carbonation at all.

D: Expensive, and not at all what we expected. This seems to be the road Brew Dog has been taking lately. Very Unfortunate...

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

11-02-2009 04:52:27 | More by TheKingsOfHop
GoGriz

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Sent from Bosse. Thanks.

This beer has a different label than the version seen in the States as far as I can tell. The one from Europe just says Paradox Grain. But on the back it says Batch 13. Here in the US I have seen it say Port Dundas.

Poured aggresively, the beer renders itself headless. Mostly dark, dark brown with little light getting through. Smell is roasted grain and little else although a little of the cask shows through. Taste is same. This beer is fairly blah and I have let it warm up to give me more flavor. Mouthfeel is like most others...flat. Drinkability is average at best. Pass...especially at $15 for a 12oz. bottle.

01-25-2011 23:22:32 | More by GoGriz

Bfarr

Washington

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

2/8/08
Dark brown with no retention. Light chocolate and vanilla aroma. Light fruit with molasses and chocolate ending in a light vanilla sweetness. Fairly robust, smooth mouthfeel.

Not as complex as the Isle of Arran but pleasant although a little to the sweet side a pleasant beer all around.

11-17-2011 20:32:09 | More by Bfarr
jzeilinger

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a dark brown color with not much head, ultra thin head, and mild carbonation.

S - Aroma is thick and syrupy (like a port wine), oaky, dates, vanilla, elderberries, and boozy.

T - Petey, earthy, woody with strong oak tannins, vanilla, and a slight shot of whiskey goodness. Leaves the mouth with a wet blanket coating and bitter chocolate, with whiskey dancing on the tongue (in a subtle way), but still makes its presence known.

M - IMO, too thin, but velvet smooth on the tongue and leaves a coating of oak tannin and mild bitter chocolate.

O - Glad I had the opportunity to try it it, not worthy of the price and wouldn't buy it again.

09-28-2011 06:21:59 | More by jzeilinger
warnerry

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Best by 2/2/10

A - Pours very deep brown with almost no head. What little head there was fades very quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - Nice vanilla and oak whiskey notes, along with some nice dark fruits. A bit of chocolate and faint coffee. Smells very nice.

T - Unfortunately, taste doesn't live up to the smell. Has many of the same elements, just a bit watered down. Not bad, there are some nice flavors and the touch of whiskey on the finish is nice, but a bit of a let down after the smell

M - Thin mouthfeel takes away from what is a promising beer.

O - Decent, but not a real standout. And the price point only adds to the sense of disappointment.

11-11-2011 00:50:30 | More by warnerry
ricknelson

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Paradox Port Dunas Americam Double imperial Stout from BrewDog. This brew did not do well in our tasting finishing dead last in 12th with an average
rating of 3.50. Although the age of this bottle was likely the reason. It was 6 years old. The other
BrewDog we tasted (Tokyo) finished 4th with an average rating of 4.25

01-27-2014 19:37:19 | More by ricknelson
dsshuck

Delaware

05-20-2014 00:22:53 | More by dsshuck
DavidST

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a snifter, bottled on 2/2/08 (I didn't realize how old this was when I bought it). This pours a pitch black color with absolutely no head, completely flat. The smells are of dark roasted malts, oak and vanilla. The feel is medium almost no carbonination. The taste is okay , milder than I expected, you get the roasted malts and vanilla, but far more subdued than I expected (this isn't bad, but not worth the $14 per bottle).

12-26-2012 04:18:50 | More by DavidST

Colorado

03-06-2013 02:56:01 | More by RuckusDu
TMoney2591

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Digging the Smokehead and Arran batches, I continue to search out more batches of this series. This one pours a very dark and murky black-brown (imagine pouring chocolate syrup into your favorite cola) topped by a minimal covering of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises whiskey, roasted malts, booze, old oak, and a sprinkling of vanilla here and there. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey so far front and center that everything else is left in its shadow and wake. It's a bit much at times, but it somehow still works to some degree. The body is a stolid medium, with a rather light carbonation and a sorta/kinda slick and fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough entry, but it lacks the character of the other barrels. Perhaps this particular whiskey is of the more mellow variety?

08-18-2013 07:49:51 | More by TMoney2591
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BrewDog rocks, but I had no idea this beer was hard to find. A few weeks ago someone on Facebook said that an AJ's Fine Foods had a few bottles of it. I asked him about it, know it was on the "list,", and he said to hurry as the beer is not only limited but also hard to find. So I left work, headed to AJ's and grabbed a bottle. I haven't had this before, but I do like scotch. I am not sure what bottle we have, but I am sure they are all similar. I am not even sure the bottle says. I will look in a little bit when I open the bottle.

I was hoping to review a bomber tonight, but we only have 3 cold and nothing sounded good. I hope I made the right decision with the BrewDog. Cheers!

In the Glass: Flat. The beer is flat. There is no head at all, and no lace to speak of. Granted, the bottle says, "best before 02/02/10," but it's 10%. It should cellar well. This makes me nervous. I hope, for $10, we didn't get a bad bottle. This is not a beer I can just run to Total Wine and grab. I hope it smells good. Let's see.

Nose: Booze. Then sweet. Then back to booze. Holy cow, that smells like straight alcohol. That puts me at ease that it will taste OK. I like big beefy stouts like this, and I am on a whiskey kick lately. I hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Smelling this I want some ice cream and a spoon. If I didn't know what this was, I would think it was a spirit before I would consider it a beer. Here we go… I am still nervous, you know!

Flavor: Whoa. It's flat, but that doesn't affect the flavor. I know it's only 10%, but it smelled like booze. It's quite balanced, and while there isn't much carbonation, it still has a great flavor. I am not getting as much whiskey as I wanted, but it is a stout that will get great as it heats sup.

Oh, the label says, "Port Dundas." This is batch 013… Not sure what that means, but BeerAdvocate has them listed as separate beers. I would love to do a vertical of them all, but I fear that day has passed.

Mouthfeel: It's flat. There is nothing going on here. It drinks like water. If you move it around in your mouth, you get SO much more flavor. The whiskey flavors really come out, and it puts just enough carbonation in it to make it enjoyable. This isn't the best beer I have had, but it is a good example of an American double stout. I do want more whiskey flavor, though.

Aftertaste: The finish is sweet, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to. It almost becomes drying, but after a few swallows, it gets really mellow. For a beer that has 10% ABV it is drinkable and offers a lovely experience. I just saw on the label, "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dunas 166 cask." I guess that explains it!

It's good, but it's not worth writing home about. I am glad it wasn't bad considering what it looked like in the glass. I do like BrewDog, and we have a few more beers from them on the list. Challenge accepted! Cheers!

08-17-2013 05:40:38 | More by rickyleepotts
bobhits

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Best buy 2/2/2010 so not sure when this was bottled but there's a touch of age on it.

Flat, created a quick head that vanishes promptly. Not much body. Sweet to the tongue. Amazingly smooth, the alcohol is non existent. The whiskey flavors here are amazingly subtle though I'd assume the whiskey they made was pretty darn smooth.

I'm not normally impressed by such a thin/watery beer, but this tastes wonderful. This bottle has just vanished, amazingly drinkable. A failure in many aspects but a success where it matters most.

03-09-2011 23:01:35 | More by bobhits
ShadesOfGray

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter tasting glass. Pours a semi-dark brownish black, fills the glass dark as night...with no head at all, just a couple bubbles around the outside edge. No lacing either.

Aroma is wine-like. Bourbon like notes, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, and of course...very malty.

This came highly recommended, but I'd have to say I'm a little let down. There's definitely some sweet and bitter dark chocolate notes, a strong booze flavor and warmth in the mouth and down the throat...and semi-medium body and smooth. Although, there's a complete lack of carbonation and it's killing the mouthfeel and taste slightly. Overall though, there's some great flavors associated with this beer...even a little oak, just was expecting more.

04-20-2010 20:16:02 | More by ShadesOfGray
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz brown glass pry-top.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown/black, virtually no head with tan bubbles.

Nose: Toasted grain, banana liqueur, "white cherry," some aged vanilla bean, banana leaves, peach and light chocolate.

Palate: Medium bodied and slightly boozy. The alcohol lifts out of the beer. Lots of old vanilla, medium toast, some smoked malt, medium caramel, bitter chocolate. Moderately long finish which switches between bitter stout and lifted old whisky flavors.

Notes: Alcohol cleans up the finish and leaves the mouth with a lighter-bodied impression. Not bad, prefer the Isle of Arran batch.

04-04-2009 02:05:08 | More by SFLpunk
camil1mj

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

I have drank a lot of good beer, but this is my first review.

Bottle says best before 2/2/2010. Poured into my Bell's tulip glass at cellar temperature.
A: Dark as night. No light shines through
S: Chocolate with a slight hint of alcohol.
T: This is a lot less intense than I would have guessed from the description. I would use the term weak. Chocolate and whiskey are the two tastes I can really pick up on.
M: The feel is disappointing. it is very thin for my expectations of a barrel-aged stout.
O: This is an average barrel-aged stout. I have had better and worse. The smell is the best thing going for it.

05-30-2011 00:17:22 | More by camil1mj
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. A thin, off-white, film rests on top of a fairly dark body. Light lacing.

The nose is filled with sweet malts, chocolate, cherries, honey and a touch of sea salt. Nice floral honey notes. Plums and figs. Nice depth. Hint of alcohol.

Vanilla, dark roasted malts, light honey and a touch of dark fruit. Some saltiness and oaky wood. There are some nice notes going on here, but Brewdog has done better than this. Still a tasty brew though.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but unfortunately flat. Some lingering bitterness from the malt and wood. I think the lack of bubbles is hurting this beer the most.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is the third beer in the Paradox series that I've had and it seems that Brewdog knows how to use there barrels. However, the Isle of Arran is still my favorite. Looking forward to trying some of the others.

10-07-2010 01:21:31 | More by sisuspeed
IBUnit63

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

Room temperature into Duvel tulip. Batch 13 with BBD 2/2/2010.

Head of dried ginger comes and goes quickly, leaving wisps up top. Body is slightly turbid yet dark brown - root beer/espresso brown.

Nose is very subtle for malt texture - port and whiskey, along with vanilla oak, dominate here. Oh yeah...the booze is there, too. Big time. Brings out milk chocolate notes. Hops? Noble at most - very mild...grass? Pine? Too mellow to make an impression.

Port shows up here but it's slightly watered down against the oak/vanilla backdrop. Now the roasted chocolate malt comes out more clearly and counters the booze. Even some hop grass shows up.

Palate isn't bad - tight with coffee, booze and a little hoppy grass. A little clammy up front. Not a lot of Beautiful Chemistry here. Pretty disjointed, and finish is sort of tepid.

2 Brewdog offerings sampled so far, with 2 disappointments. This one is OK but there are much better. There's really no synergy to speak of, and that's the real issue. Good individual components and they just don't connect. None have real power to me, either, so I can't imagine age helping too terribly much.

02-12-2009 15:21:17 | More by IBUnit63