BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2008

Port Dundas 1966 barrels
3.58/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BrewDog rocks, but I had no idea this beer was hard to find. A few weeks ago someone on Facebook said that an AJ's Fine Foods had a few bottles of it. I asked him about it, know it was on the "list,", and he said to hurry as the beer is not only limited but also hard to find. So I left work, headed to AJ's and grabbed a bottle. I haven't had this before, but I do like scotch. I am not sure what bottle we have, but I am sure they are all similar. I am not even sure the bottle says. I will look in a little bit when I open the bottle.

I was hoping to review a bomber tonight, but we only have 3 cold and nothing sounded good. I hope I made the right decision with the BrewDog. Cheers!

In the Glass: Flat. The beer is flat. There is no head at all, and no lace to speak of. Granted, the bottle says, "best before 02/02/10," but it's 10%. It should cellar well. This makes me nervous. I hope, for $10, we didn't get a bad bottle. This is not a beer I can just run to Total Wine and grab. I hope it smells good. Let's see.

Nose: Booze. Then sweet. Then back to booze. Holy cow, that smells like straight alcohol. That puts me at ease that it will taste OK. I like big beefy stouts like this, and I am on a whiskey kick lately. I hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Smelling this I want some ice cream and a spoon. If I didn't know what this was, I would think it was a spirit before I would consider it a beer. Here we go… I am still nervous, you know!

Flavor: Whoa. It's flat, but that doesn't affect the flavor. I know it's only 10%, but it smelled like booze. It's quite balanced, and while there isn't much carbonation, it still has a great flavor. I am not getting as much whiskey as I wanted, but it is a stout that will get great as it heats sup.

Oh, the label says, "Port Dundas." This is batch 013… Not sure what that means, but BeerAdvocate has them listed as separate beers. I would love to do a vertical of them all, but I fear that day has passed.

Mouthfeel: It's flat. There is nothing going on here. It drinks like water. If you move it around in your mouth, you get SO much more flavor. The whiskey flavors really come out, and it puts just enough carbonation in it to make it enjoyable. This isn't the best beer I have had, but it is a good example of an American double stout. I do want more whiskey flavor, though.

Aftertaste: The finish is sweet, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to. It almost becomes drying, but after a few swallows, it gets really mellow. For a beer that has 10% ABV it is drinkable and offers a lovely experience. I just saw on the label, "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dunas 166 cask." I guess that explains it!

It's good, but it's not worth writing home about. I am glad it wasn't bad considering what it looked like in the glass. I do like BrewDog, and we have a few more beers from them on the list. Challenge accepted! Cheers!

3.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Batch 13. This was bottled on 02/02/08 which is a little over 5 years ago as of this review.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown (just a shade lighter than black) and leaves no head whatsoever.

Smell: Sweet vanilla, oak and whiskey lead the way along with dark chocolate and malts.

Taste: Follows the nose, but the flavors are a bit subdued. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, malts, plums and figs. All are very balanced and surprisingly light. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouth-feel: Nearly completely flat which I'm not a huge fan of. Medium bodied and this one goes down really smooth.

Overall: This was an interesting stout. The lack of carbonation didn't help it though - the flavors were all great and so well balanced, but the lack of carbonation was very noticeable. Definitely still an enjoyable stout and the age has really mellowed this one out.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

The aroma of this beer is far better than the taste. It smells of sweet, sugary alcohol, whiskey, chocolate and cola.
A lot of this is not present in the flavour. It is surprisingly thin (which I enjoyed, but diminishes its ability to have flavour intensity, I'm sure). It is a very sweet stout with a nice whiskey smoothness. It's not as hot as I would expect from the smell. The alcohol is not really up front. There's chocolate flavour, but its masked a lot by the whiskey and sweetness. The cola I smelled is not in the flavour profile. It's enjoyable because I like strong, sweet beers, but I wouldn't buy it again considering the high price tag. It's the oldest beer I've ever had. Over 5 years old. Damn. I wasn't old enough to buy this when it was bottled. It was a nice experience, but I can get better sweet alcohol from Blithering Idiot at a much more reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a snifter, bottled on 2/2/08 (I didn't realize how old this was when I bought it). This pours a pitch black color with absolutely no head, completely flat. The smells are of dark roasted malts, oak and vanilla. The feel is medium almost no carbonination. The taste is okay , milder than I expected, you get the roasted malts and vanilla, but far more subdued than I expected (this isn't bad, but not worth the $14 per bottle).

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

I am guessing this is the Port Dundas 1966 barrel version since the back of my label says batch 13...

Have to say that I had middle of the road expectations on this one, but I was really pleased with what I got. The touch of vanilla on the back end of the flavor ride is really nice. It lingers in a way that I have rarely seen in other barrel aged beers, if ever, and it seems to echo the whiskey characteristics I'd most like to see in a production like this. Smooth drinker with a great profile.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Review from 9/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours pitch black with a hint of dark tan head and little carbonation, surprisingly the tiny foam around the glass forms a slight lacing. Very faint aroma of dark malts and whiskey. Nice mouth feel. Very light taste of dark malts, chocolate, molasses and faint whiskey. Mellow dark malt and whiskey finish. Well balanced and integrated, maybe a bit too much so, there is little to get excited about. A smooth, pleasant, but rather subdued barrel aged stout.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

11.2 ounce bottle into snifter, best by 2/2/2010. Pours hazy very dark brown color with almost no head that recedes to a thin foam cap on the top. Hardly any hiss upon opening. Minimal lacing, small bubbles of carbonation on the glass. Aromas of big caramel, brown sugar, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, whiskey, raisin, oak, and light smoke. Damn nice aromas here with nice complexity and balance. Taste of big chocolate, caramel, vanilla, toffee, molasses, light whiskey, roasted malt, oak, toasted biscuit, clove, and light herbal spices. Light bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, vanilla, toffee, roasted malt, and molasses on the finish for a good bit. Great balance of flavors with nice complexity; and no cloying sweetness. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel. Drinks very smoothly for 10%, with only a slight alcohol warming after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice barrel aged imperial stout! Very well blended flavors with nice complexity. This has aged very nicely indeed.

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

Was able to score this beer at my local bottle shop for a special toast for NYE. A bit pricey at $13/bottle but I figured it might be worth it for ringing in the new year as it came highly recommended by my local's resident beer geek. I was under-impressed with this Paradox and think that some of the better reviews might actually stem from the rarity of the brew instead of the actual overall quality.

I was excited with the pour as this Imperial bellowed into our glasses a perfect jet black. I imagined fanciful aromas from the 1966 Port Dundas barrels as the thin head materialized and then... collapsed under the alcohol's weight. Dark khaki bubbles skim the surface of this black lagoon but no bouquet flung itself into my nostrils as I had hoped.

A bit of green wood, a bit of roast, a touch of vanilla, a touch of bourbon... a touch of this... a touch of that... If noses could cry...

Flavor echoes bouquet. Not much here. A bit of smokey/charred oak, a bit of baker's chocolate, a touch of sweetness and maybe some vanilla. Under everything there is a slight taste of bourbon. I had gone in expecting too much. I wanted a flavor explosion but received a sparkler.

Body is much to thin for a double or imperial anything. Medium-light. Almost borders on light enough to take shots of it...

I'm not really for ticking, but this would really be the only reason why I could see someone buying a bottle of this Paradox. Sure, it's rare. Sure, your friends probably have never had it. But, when you could use the same money to buy 2 or 3 great brews, why bother?

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Pours nearly opaque black. Just a bit of brown around the edges. A tiny, bubbly tan head forms on a very vigorous pour. That vanishes in a second, and no lace.
S: Burnt toast, moldy wood, chocolate, light dark fruits. Just kind of blah, and not very well incorporated.
T: Again, burnt toast, charred wood, chocolate, and dark fruits. Soured lactic milk. Hot alcohol.
M/D: The body is way to light and thin. Under carbonated as well. Plenty of alcohol, a very slow sipper.

Not the worst that BrewDog has to offer, but still not something I am going to revisit. Just ho hum and below average.

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 from BrewDog