BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2008

Port Dundas 1966 barrels
to view more.
Ratings: 105 | Reviews: 65
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cellared for many years. Poors pitch black without any head worth mentioning. Leaves some lacing on the sides. Smell is pretty much what you would expect, sweetness with all the standard aromas. The taste is where the magic happens, complex and multidimensional. The whiskey comes through great and the beer has developed well. Time well spent, this beer is ripe and ready to come out from the cellar. Loses points for loss of looks and watery mouthfeel.

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

I popped my cellared bottle after reading several reviews below (tl:dr version, it's going downhill at this point) and I 've had pretty much exactly the same experience as the general consensus describes. Only they are much better with words than I am.
So if you've got one of these in your cellars... I'd also recommend drinking now rather than later.

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 fl oz. bottle, Batch No. 013, bottled on 02/02/2008, aged nearly seven years. My first of any of the Paradox beers from BrewDog, this one their "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dundas 1966 cask". My 1000th beer review on BeerAdvocate, and I couldn't be more excited. Acquired this gem from the local Ardmore Station Liquors.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Served cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption; it pours a dark chocolate brown; opaque in the glass with hardly any conjuration of head, merely some mocha colored bubbles. The beer has clearly lost a lot of carbonation over the course of time, and appears much more watery and less viscous than I had imagined.

S - The aroma comes through nicely, but it has also noticeably fallen off. Notes of chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, oak wood, some indistinct raisin / plum / fig dark fruitiness. I suppose very minor alcohol fumes are still detectable.

T - The taste follows the nose - notes of chocolate, vanilla, oak, cream, raisins. A very nice flavor profile, but a bit too tamed by time it seems. No alcohol warmth or presence is noted at all.

M - Smooth and mellow at this point. The carbonation has fallen off ridiculously; the beer is watery at this point.

Overall, like others have said: this beer's best days have come and gone. Glad to have tried it, but it wasn't worth what I paid for it at this point. If anyone is still holding down bottles of this, I'd recommend drinking them ASAP, because this beer is not improving with age. However, I look forward to trying other variants of this beer.

BrewDog Paradox Port Dundas -----3.5/5

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Picked up a bottle for on site consumption at Highland Stillhouse pub the other day. Was curious to see what a "few" years in bottle has done for this beer.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty decent head retention and lacing. Considering the age, carbonation seemed to be OK in this beer, which was a concern. The nose is the best feature at this point in the beer's life, as I pick up light vanilla, considerable peat, some coffee and light chocolate. On the palate, the flavor profile has softened considerably. I still picked up all the same characteristics I noticed in the nose, but there really is nothing like the intensity of flavor I was getting from Paradox beers back when they were first released. Mouthfeel is now very soft and creamy, and the finish was a bit short. Alcohol is still very well integrated into the flavor profile, and there was no heat on the finish.

This was a fun beer to try (prices were reasonable as well - I think Stillhouse prices are the same for this beer as they likely were 5 or 6 years ago), but on the other hand, it's pretty clear that the beer's best days are behind it. If I owned any more Paradox beers (which I don't), I would want to drink them up ASAP, as it seems fairly apparent they are not going to improve further with age (at least that was my impression, based on this beer).

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Paradox Port Dunas Americam Double imperial Stout from BrewDog. This brew did not do well in our tasting finishing dead last in 12th with an average
rating of 3.50. Although the age of this bottle was likely the reason. It was 6 years old. The other
BrewDog we tasted (Tokyo) finished 4th with an average rating of 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Digging the Smokehead and Arran batches, I continue to search out more batches of this series. This one pours a very dark and murky black-brown (imagine pouring chocolate syrup into your favorite cola) topped by a minimal covering of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises whiskey, roasted malts, booze, old oak, and a sprinkling of vanilla here and there. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey so far front and center that everything else is left in its shadow and wake. It's a bit much at times, but it somehow still works to some degree. The body is a stolid medium, with a rather light carbonation and a sorta/kinda slick and fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough entry, but it lacks the character of the other barrels. Perhaps this particular whiskey is of the more mellow variety?

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BrewDog rocks, but I had no idea this beer was hard to find. A few weeks ago someone on Facebook said that an AJ's Fine Foods had a few bottles of it. I asked him about it, know it was on the "list,", and he said to hurry as the beer is not only limited but also hard to find. So I left work, headed to AJ's and grabbed a bottle. I haven't had this before, but I do like scotch. I am not sure what bottle we have, but I am sure they are all similar. I am not even sure the bottle says. I will look in a little bit when I open the bottle.

I was hoping to review a bomber tonight, but we only have 3 cold and nothing sounded good. I hope I made the right decision with the BrewDog. Cheers!

In the Glass: Flat. The beer is flat. There is no head at all, and no lace to speak of. Granted, the bottle says, "best before 02/02/10," but it's 10%. It should cellar well. This makes me nervous. I hope, for $10, we didn't get a bad bottle. This is not a beer I can just run to Total Wine and grab. I hope it smells good. Let's see.

Nose: Booze. Then sweet. Then back to booze. Holy cow, that smells like straight alcohol. That puts me at ease that it will taste OK. I like big beefy stouts like this, and I am on a whiskey kick lately. I hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Smelling this I want some ice cream and a spoon. If I didn't know what this was, I would think it was a spirit before I would consider it a beer. Here we go… I am still nervous, you know!

Flavor: Whoa. It's flat, but that doesn't affect the flavor. I know it's only 10%, but it smelled like booze. It's quite balanced, and while there isn't much carbonation, it still has a great flavor. I am not getting as much whiskey as I wanted, but it is a stout that will get great as it heats sup.

Oh, the label says, "Port Dundas." This is batch 013… Not sure what that means, but BeerAdvocate has them listed as separate beers. I would love to do a vertical of them all, but I fear that day has passed.

Mouthfeel: It's flat. There is nothing going on here. It drinks like water. If you move it around in your mouth, you get SO much more flavor. The whiskey flavors really come out, and it puts just enough carbonation in it to make it enjoyable. This isn't the best beer I have had, but it is a good example of an American double stout. I do want more whiskey flavor, though.

Aftertaste: The finish is sweet, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to. It almost becomes drying, but after a few swallows, it gets really mellow. For a beer that has 10% ABV it is drinkable and offers a lovely experience. I just saw on the label, "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dunas 166 cask." I guess that explains it!

It's good, but it's not worth writing home about. I am glad it wasn't bad considering what it looked like in the glass. I do like BrewDog, and we have a few more beers from them on the list. Challenge accepted! Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Batch 13. This was bottled on 02/02/08 which is a little over 5 years ago as of this review.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown (just a shade lighter than black) and leaves no head whatsoever.

Smell: Sweet vanilla, oak and whiskey lead the way along with dark chocolate and malts.

Taste: Follows the nose, but the flavors are a bit subdued. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, malts, plums and figs. All are very balanced and surprisingly light. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouth-feel: Nearly completely flat which I'm not a huge fan of. Medium bodied and this one goes down really smooth.

Overall: This was an interesting stout. The lack of carbonation didn't help it though - the flavors were all great and so well balanced, but the lack of carbonation was very noticeable. Definitely still an enjoyable stout and the age has really mellowed this one out.

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%

The aroma of this beer is far better than the taste. It smells of sweet, sugary alcohol, whiskey, chocolate and cola.
A lot of this is not present in the flavour. It is surprisingly thin (which I enjoyed, but diminishes its ability to have flavour intensity, I'm sure). It is a very sweet stout with a nice whiskey smoothness. It's not as hot as I would expect from the smell. The alcohol is not really up front. There's chocolate flavour, but its masked a lot by the whiskey and sweetness. The cola I smelled is not in the flavour profile. It's enjoyable because I like strong, sweet beers, but I wouldn't buy it again considering the high price tag. It's the oldest beer I've ever had. Over 5 years old. Damn. I wasn't old enough to buy this when it was bottled. It was a nice experience, but I can get better sweet alcohol from Blithering Idiot at a much more reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a snifter, bottled on 2/2/08 (I didn't realize how old this was when I bought it). This pours a pitch black color with absolutely no head, completely flat. The smells are of dark roasted malts, oak and vanilla. The feel is medium almost no carbonination. The taste is okay , milder than I expected, you get the roasted malts and vanilla, but far more subdued than I expected (this isn't bad, but not worth the $14 per bottle).

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

I am guessing this is the Port Dundas 1966 barrel version since the back of my label says batch 13...

Have to say that I had middle of the road expectations on this one, but I was really pleased with what I got. The touch of vanilla on the back end of the flavor ride is really nice. It lingers in a way that I have rarely seen in other barrel aged beers, if ever, and it seems to echo the whiskey characteristics I'd most like to see in a production like this. Smooth drinker with a great profile.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Review from 9/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours pitch black with a hint of dark tan head and little carbonation, surprisingly the tiny foam around the glass forms a slight lacing. Very faint aroma of dark malts and whiskey. Nice mouth feel. Very light taste of dark malts, chocolate, molasses and faint whiskey. Mellow dark malt and whiskey finish. Well balanced and integrated, maybe a bit too much so, there is little to get excited about. A smooth, pleasant, but rather subdued barrel aged stout.

3.94/5  rDev +1%

11.2 ounce bottle into snifter, best by 2/2/2010. Pours hazy very dark brown color with almost no head that recedes to a thin foam cap on the top. Hardly any hiss upon opening. Minimal lacing, small bubbles of carbonation on the glass. Aromas of big caramel, brown sugar, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, whiskey, raisin, oak, and light smoke. Damn nice aromas here with nice complexity and balance. Taste of big chocolate, caramel, vanilla, toffee, molasses, light whiskey, roasted malt, oak, toasted biscuit, clove, and light herbal spices. Light bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, vanilla, toffee, roasted malt, and molasses on the finish for a good bit. Great balance of flavors with nice complexity; and no cloying sweetness. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel. Drinks very smoothly for 10%, with only a slight alcohol warming after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice barrel aged imperial stout! Very well blended flavors with nice complexity. This has aged very nicely indeed.

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Was able to score this beer at my local bottle shop for a special toast for NYE. A bit pricey at $13/bottle but I figured it might be worth it for ringing in the new year as it came highly recommended by my local's resident beer geek. I was under-impressed with this Paradox and think that some of the better reviews might actually stem from the rarity of the brew instead of the actual overall quality.

I was excited with the pour as this Imperial bellowed into our glasses a perfect jet black. I imagined fanciful aromas from the 1966 Port Dundas barrels as the thin head materialized and then... collapsed under the alcohol's weight. Dark khaki bubbles skim the surface of this black lagoon but no bouquet flung itself into my nostrils as I had hoped.

A bit of green wood, a bit of roast, a touch of vanilla, a touch of bourbon... a touch of this... a touch of that... If noses could cry...

Flavor echoes bouquet. Not much here. A bit of smokey/charred oak, a bit of baker's chocolate, a touch of sweetness and maybe some vanilla. Under everything there is a slight taste of bourbon. I had gone in expecting too much. I wanted a flavor explosion but received a sparkler.

Body is much to thin for a double or imperial anything. Medium-light. Almost borders on light enough to take shots of it...

I'm not really for ticking, but this would really be the only reason why I could see someone buying a bottle of this Paradox. Sure, it's rare. Sure, your friends probably have never had it. But, when you could use the same money to buy 2 or 3 great brews, why bother?

2.72/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Pours nearly opaque black. Just a bit of brown around the edges. A tiny, bubbly tan head forms on a very vigorous pour. That vanishes in a second, and no lace.
S: Burnt toast, moldy wood, chocolate, light dark fruits. Just kind of blah, and not very well incorporated.
T: Again, burnt toast, charred wood, chocolate, and dark fruits. Soured lactic milk. Hot alcohol.
M/D: The body is way to light and thin. Under carbonated as well. Plenty of alcohol, a very slow sipper.

Not the worst that BrewDog has to offer, but still not something I am going to revisit. Just ho hum and below average.

3.29/5  rDev -15.6%

2/8/08
Dark brown with no retention. Light chocolate and vanilla aroma. Light fruit with molasses and chocolate ending in a light vanilla sweetness. Fairly robust, smooth mouthfeel.

Not as complex as the Isle of Arran but pleasant although a little to the sweet side a pleasant beer all around.

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%

Best by 2/2/10

A - Pours very deep brown with almost no head. What little head there was fades very quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - Nice vanilla and oak whiskey notes, along with some nice dark fruits. A bit of chocolate and faint coffee. Smells very nice.

T - Unfortunately, taste doesn't live up to the smell. Has many of the same elements, just a bit watered down. Not bad, there are some nice flavors and the touch of whiskey on the finish is nice, but a bit of a let down after the smell

M - Thin mouthfeel takes away from what is a promising beer.

O - Decent, but not a real standout. And the price point only adds to the sense of disappointment.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%

Batch 013 Bottled 02/02/08

A - Pours extremely dark brown, almost black into my snifter with just a thin later of head that dissipates into a thin ring around the glass, virtually no retention or lace.

S - The bourbon notes are just fantastic, nicely balanced with the sweet roasted malts, notes of oak, vanilla, caramelized sugars, cocoa, and a little smokiness as well.

T - Rich and malty, smoke is more present in flavor, dry cocoa/espresso bitterness, molasses, oak, vanilla, tobacco, and some dark fruit notes.

M - Don't know if it's just the age or how it was made but really lacks carbonation and any kind of creamy balance that comes from it.

O - This smells and tastes delicious, it just really falls short in the mouthfeel and body department. Still would recommend trying if given the chance though.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a dark brown color with not much head, ultra thin head, and mild carbonation.

S - Aroma is thick and syrupy (like a port wine), oaky, dates, vanilla, elderberries, and boozy.

T - Petey, earthy, woody with strong oak tannins, vanilla, and a slight shot of whiskey goodness. Leaves the mouth with a wet blanket coating and bitter chocolate, with whiskey dancing on the tongue (in a subtle way), but still makes its presence known.

M - IMO, too thin, but velvet smooth on the tongue and leaves a coating of oak tannin and mild bitter chocolate.

O - Glad I had the opportunity to try it it, not worthy of the price and wouldn't buy it again.

3.86/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a Sam Adams Lager glass. Light black color with dark caramel highlights. No carbonation bubbles or head at all. Kinda looks like Coca Cola. There is some stickiness hanging onto the glass from the alcohol, but no lace.

Smells like any well barrel aged stout should. Big notes of vanilla, and whiskey. There is some coffee, and cocoa. Some subtle smokiness. It really smells fantastic.

Tastes like a very thin version of Victory at Sea, which isn't a bad thing. The coffee really comes out in the taste. Followed by vanilla, and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is pretty flat and watery. This is where I am most disappointed. But the bottle does say "best before 2/2/10" So maybe I am just getting to it late, but not surprised I was disappointed.

Overall, I am happy to have tried this. Thanks to matttYCE for this great extra. This is by far the best stout I have had from across the pond by a long shot. A must try if you can get your hands on this.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

I have drank a lot of good beer, but this is my first review.

Bottle says best before 2/2/2010. Poured into my Bell's tulip glass at cellar temperature.
A: Dark as night. No light shines through
S: Chocolate with a slight hint of alcohol.
T: This is a lot less intense than I would have guessed from the description. I would use the term weak. Chocolate and whiskey are the two tastes I can really pick up on.
M: The feel is disappointing. it is very thin for my expectations of a barrel-aged stout.
O: This is an average barrel-aged stout. I have had better and worse. The smell is the best thing going for it.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Brewdog Paradox Port Dundas

Appearance: dark brown, no head, and no lacing.

Smell: caramel and toffee.

Taste: caramel, toffee, and a slight cocoa.

Mouthfeel: medium-light and smooth.

Overall:
This is much lighter than anticipated. The flavors are subtle and rich.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

A- dark coffee black. No head. served in a sniffer glass.

S- lots of malts and alcohol. You know this is potent from the start.

T- the taste is more refined than you would expect from the smell. You get all the hints from the nose. A little bit fruity with a hint of coffee.

M- smooth. Doesnt stick around on the palate as long as you would expect.

O- this is a great beer. I am Thoroughly impressed. It's nice in the middle of a session.

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Best buy 2/2/2010 so not sure when this was bottled but there's a touch of age on it.

Flat, created a quick head that vanishes promptly. Not much body. Sweet to the tongue. Amazingly smooth, the alcohol is non existent. The whiskey flavors here are amazingly subtle though I'd assume the whiskey they made was pretty darn smooth.

I'm not normally impressed by such a thin/watery beer, but this tastes wonderful. This bottle has just vanished, amazingly drinkable. A failure in many aspects but a success where it matters most.

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

Sent from Bosse. Thanks.

This beer has a different label than the version seen in the States as far as I can tell. The one from Europe just says Paradox Grain. But on the back it says Batch 13. Here in the US I have seen it say Port Dundas.

Poured aggresively, the beer renders itself headless. Mostly dark, dark brown with little light getting through. Smell is roasted grain and little else although a little of the cask shows through. Taste is same. This beer is fairly blah and I have let it warm up to give me more flavor. Mouthfeel is like most others...flat. Drinkability is average at best. Pass...especially at $15 for a 12oz. bottle.

to view more.