BrewDog Paradox Speyside (Batch 010) - Smokehead - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Speyside (Batch 010) - SmokeheadBrewDog Paradox Speyside (Batch 010) - Smokehead

good

to view more.
Ratings: 42 | Reviews: 30
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Scottish Malt Whiskey casks rock! Their ruggedly robust beauty, character, captivating aromas and unique Scottish heritage had us completely spellbound. This edition sees our Imperial Stout aged for several months in specially selected Speyside whisky casks. This maturation process results in the whisky flavours and aromas being infused deep into our beer." Part of a limited release series dedicated to whisky cask infusions, available in single 12 oz. bottles.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a tulip glass. Served above 64 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a thin, creamy head of a toasted cream shade over a deep maple brown body. Retention is very low and the lacing is very light. 3

(Smell) Stout notes of moderately roasted barley, toasted caramel grain and earthy molasses and licorice are infused with delicate whiskey aromas of the Speyside Whiskey casks, imparting residual oak, smooth grain alcohol with a delicate sweetness. Not a whiskey drinker myself, I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the whiskey character integrated into this beer. Potency is moderate. 3.75

(Taste) The impact of whiskey is somewhat more pronounced up front in the flavor, with dry oak flavor, wet grain, mellow peat smoke and thick syrupy fruit notes, finishing lightly sweet with a lingering note of roasted barley, the strongest note of the stout. The stout as well as the whiskey base are both fairly mild in their presence for this beer, not hardly over-the-top for a whiskey-infused stout. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is lightly chewy, oily smooth and moderately dry. Carbonation is flat to none, passing this beer more as a whiskey on the flatness alone, it does manipulate the mouthfeel to make the beer seem to have a heavier body. The body is shy of medium for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is slightly grainy, peat smokey and earthy bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is moderate and there are no off flavors. This beer is unusually flat, and I am unsure of whether that was the brewery's intention for this beer or not. 3.5

(Overall) An interesting and appreciated experiment on stouts paired with whiskey casks. I found the stout base unusually shallow to be an ideal candidate to age on whiskey, but perhaps the intent was to call to attention the impact of the whiskey casks themselves rather than how they work with a stout. As for the whiskey cask itself, it generates a notable impact, although I think the stout could have been aged in the cask longer for stronger flavors without imparting excessive harshness. The flavors created from the brief time spent in the cask are far from harsh, grainy or sharp but rather generate more appreciated characters of smoke, syrups and oak. I'd like to see more experiences with whiskey cask/stout infusions, as the results from this beer alone seem promising: if the whiskey and stout profiles pair just right, the results could be phenomenal. 3.5

BrewDog's
Paradox Speyside Batch 10: Smokehead
3.53/5.00

1.56/5  rDev -55.3%

On tap at the Dark Lord Day. There were many beers that I sampled, but I only felt compelled to take review notes for a few of them.

This beer was messed up. Not in a "whoa that's wild!" way, neither. In a "something bad happened during fermentation" way. I was amazed to see that this was only 10% ABV, because its harsh nodes of gasoline made me think that maybe it was something along the lines of Tactical Nuclear Penguin and was therefore supposed to taste genuinely dangerous.

But along with the gas nodes, you had smoke nodes. But you know how most smoked beers resemble smoked meat or cheese? This smelled like smoke, alright, only like the smoke that comes off a burning plastic bag, like the kind of thing you shouldn't inhale without wearing a mask, like after drinking too much of this you're no longer legally allowed to donate blood.

Seriously, some tastes and aromas are viscerally, chemically repellant. This is a survival mechanism, your body's way of telling you to not put some things into it. Paradox Smoke is an incredible melange of several such nodes.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%

A: No head, though it seemed to try. Brownish black with some purple and only barely translucent at the edges.

S: Strong, and thick, almost syrupy. Definitely smelling whisky. Nice.

T: Malty and some roasted bitterness towards the end in the back of my throat. Alcoholic and whisky. A little creamy.

M: Flat. But I suppose the bottle being 2 yrs old I shouldn't be surprised.

O: A pretty good beer that didn't age particularly well. Wouldn't have another, but hey, BrewDog is still awesome.

3.64/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an Albemarle Ciderworks glass. Batch 010. Best by 01 January 2010. So two years late on this one.

A: Some bubbles; no head. It pours thinly. The not-quite black body is unexpectedly translucent, but only just.

S: It smells good. Strong and liquor-like, the whisky influence is obvious. Such sweet elixir! Little to no smoke.

T/M: Thin (old?) but perfectly palatable. An almost creamy sweetness fades slowly into a more noticeably smoky finish. Malt-heavy, with a touch of oaky dryness. Light, chalky, roasted bitterness on the aftertaste reminds me of dark chocolate. The mouthfeel isn't exactly thin as...flat? Insubstantial? It's the most disappointing facet of this Paradox, but I suppose my fair dues for being so late to the party.

O: Overall, a good beer that hasn't aged remarkably well. Increasingly whiskyish as I drink more of it, especially the finish. Very bourbon sweet-strong. I wouldn't go out and buy one again, but I'm glad I had one and the price ($3.49) seems reasonable. I still like BrewDog.

2.29/5  rDev -34.4%

Bottle and label high quality, gold and black. Black dark. Strong and persistent foam. On the nose, it smells the smoke and acrylic paint.

In the mouth, such as Tokyo *, in the same style and in the same brewery, it is difficult to perceive that it is an imperial stout because not thick, not strength, not roasted malt. No traces of whiskey either, so it makes sense to marinate. Finally, it was just a taste of the cigarette in the mouth and it's not really appetizing. The finish is reminiscent of barbecue ash and can be persistent, which suggests that foul taste in the throat.

Okay, that's unique in taste but should not exaggerate by suggesting anything like taste. To drink this drink as much juice banging a cigarette ash. Then where is the stout apart in color?

3.87/5  rDev +10.9%

09 vintage poured into a snifter. Barely below room temperature.

Pours black with brown along the edges. Half a finger of head that fades into a ring. Solid lacing along the glass.

Smell is more of bourbon than beer. It is incredibly smokey, reminiscent of when you use a charcoal grill.

Bourbon, oak flavor is very present. Still, plenty of smoke and barbecue. However, there is a lot of malt and chocolate in there to balance the flavors.

Carbonation is on the medium side for the style. It isn't terribly drinkable. I wouldn't want more than one in a sitting.

This beer is definitely "outrageous" as it says on the bottle. If it cost less than $10 per 11oz bottle, I could see myself drinking it again.

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this beer on cask at khyber pass in Philly. This beer is pitch black with a nice ring of off white head. The aroma is ok. It has a mild scotch oak smokey roast aroma. It is really nice, but this beer really shines in th flavor. It's like a drier toasty coco stout mixed with some smokey peaty scotch. Really amazing beer. Mouthfeel is a little on the light side, but when it comes down to it this is a really amazing beer.

1.6/5  rDev -54.2%

I should start by saying that I enjoy a good whisky. The smoky flavor that comes from peat is something that I really enjoy. I also like smoky beers as long as there is some balance and complexity to it. Hopefully, that information provides some context when I review this unspeakable error of a beer.

The problems with Smokehead are evident before you take your first sip. It appears thin and clouded in the glass and the wall of smoke hits you before you even approach the rim with your nose. No other smells are allowed to shine. There is no complexity or subtlety here. Just an unrestrained wave of peat smoke.

Things get worse once you raise the glass to your lips. The smoke is not just overwhelming. It has an astringent chemical quality that made me wince. The mouthfeel is thin and no other stout flavors are allowed any space on the palate. No chocolate. No coffee. No anise. Nothing. It tastes like a five-alarm fire blazed through Brewdog's facility and - rather than accept their losses -- they sold the charred remains to the unsuspecting public.

I've had some of the whisky barrel aged beers that Brewdog has to offer and some are not bad. This, on the other hand, is a near-instant drainpour.

3.02/5  rDev -13.5%

A- pour a deep brown porter, very little head and no carbonation not even from opening the bottle. I know i'm not at smell yet but I can smell peat wood just from opening this.

S- Smell like wood and smoke, very strong scotch smell, very smoky like most islay speyside smell of scotch. Moving beyond that there is hints of coffee not much by the over power. Smelling more there is a chewy bourbon almost cherry vanilla that remains in the background. Also of smoked meats, like I'm about to base some ribs before the smoker. In fact it smells like i'm about to smoke some ribs with a coffee base sauce over speyside wood.

T- The taste, the taste a total let down,a BIG let down from the more complex smell. The taste is one sided, smoke it taste like someone poured scotch into a Guinness. There is almost no carbonation. There is a burn of alcohol lots of smoke hints of coffee but very little. I think I said it best with the Guinnes. Did I mention the smoke?

M- Runny, falls through the palette, little carbonation and overwhelming smoke

O- I had herd of smokehead and it sounded often, I was so stoked to see my beer store had some so I spent the 10 bucks and bought the 12oz. Little did I know I bought the worst one. I like the idea, but this one is a R&D project that went wrong and should have stopped when the brewer took the first sip.

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Pours pitch black with a thin light brown head. Settles to a ring around the glass and left a decent amount of lacing.

S: You get dark malt, chocolate and caramel on the nose with a bit of alcohol in there but not much.

T: There’s chocolate and caramel initially when you take a sip but then it moves to more of a smoky taste and finishes pretty smoky.

M: Light carbonation medium body.

O: In all the beers I’ve had by BrewDog they seem to play it safe. The beers aren’t too extreme. I still enjoyed this beer a lot but it didn’t make me think twice about it. All in all still a good beer.

3.91/5  rDev +12%

I got this one the other day, and I hope I'm reviewing it in the right spot. Paradox Smokehead, batch 15.

It looks great. Dark as the night with little bits of brown around the edges. Definitely looks like a imperial stout.

Smell is out there... I've never smelled something like this before in a beer, and it's quite good. Sweet and spicey notes are mixed together with an almost mesquite, smokey flavor.

Taste follows up well with the smell. Light on the tongue at first, then a medium body fills in the gap with those same smokey notes. Overall, it's well balanced and leaves slightly dry.

All in all, I like this beer, and I want to get a few more for the next BBQ I attend. The only thing I think that could be improved on is the smell. It hits the right notes, but I want them to be more prevalent and more bold.

1.56/5  rDev -55.3%

dark brown beer with a 1 finger tan head.

smelled of burnt nasty things. tasted of burnt nasty things.
i'm going to keep this review short and to the point: i felt like i was drinking an ash tray.

immediate drain pour. would not touch again.

i already know smoked beers are not for me, but i can at least still finish them.

2.54/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very Dark brown beer with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving a small amount of lacing.
Smell: First impression is the smell of burning brakes from a truck going down a steep incline.
Taste: Heavy smoked oak, like the inside of a newly charred whiskey barrel. Aftertaste lingers for a long time.
Mouthfeel: Little carbonation, but smooth.
Overall: Not a drainpour, but would not even be considered for a second chance.

2.64/5  rDev -24.4%

Hits the glass black, soapy head. Not thick, quick to dissipate. Swirling leaves light syrup on glass. Smell is smoky campfire, peat, medicinal.

Gads. This could almost be a Rauchbier. Yeesh. What is up with this ashtray. I llove this brewery too. Gresh.

Two sips and its to the sink.

My bad for not believing the name. Think fireman's pants after a 3 alarm blaze, a pack of Marlboros, a campfire and burning tar on the road.

Cheers guys, this has to be someone's favorite style.

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

A - one finger of tan brown foam, dissipate to a nice thin lacing covering the top of the beer. A black/dark brown color.

s - strong alcohol aromas, smokey.

T - alcohol, dark malt, woody, smokey flavor. nice complexity, a bit of coffee at the finish. the more I drink it the more i like it.

M - nice smooth, medium body, dryness.

D - at first i wasnt sure if i could finish the whole bottle, but halfway through it became quite drinkable I think partly due to the ABV and also because it took a bit for my palate to adjust to the very strong flavors.

Should go well with my buffalo wings that I'm about to pull out of the oven during the next commercial break of the SuperBowl...

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%

Grabbed a glass of this off the cask at Churchkey in DC. Served in a snifter, this beer is about as unique as you can get, and seemed to have struck out in some ways. I've had this in bottle before, and much preferred it - likely because of the temperature in my opinion.

Pours a maroon brown, dark with reddish hues. Head is basically non-existent, but there is a tinge of lacing. Nose blows me away, blind this could be a peaty scotch, a very unique and enjoyable aspect of this brew.

Taste could be so much more to me, but beyond the overwhelmingly smoky character, this beer really lacks a lot of flavor. No sweetness, maltiness, etc - its like a beer scotch, but without the bite. Mouthfeel is actually a bit watery for the style and the drinkability is hindered by the lack of flavor combined with the higher abv.

2.47/5  rDev -29.2%

I went into drinking this beer with very high hopes; despite the fact every Brewdog offering I've had so far has left my high hopes unfulfilled...

Appearance: For an "imperial stout," the appearance is quite misleading. The body maintains a dark brown to maroon color, with quite a bit of translucence which seems strange for the style. Pours with no head whatsoever, even after a rather vigorous pour, and carries no lacing either.

Smell: I opened the beer a bit under room temperature, anticipating to see it's transformation as it warmed. Initially, i picked up some strange astringent wood-glue characteristics along with some chocolate and peat aroma. As it continued to warm, hickory, black licorice and metallic aromas all worked with the overall smoke and peat aroma.

Taste: Smoke!!! I went in expecting this, and ended up finding a pretty unidimensional taste. For an imperial stout, albeit "whiskey cask matured," i got nothing taste-wise that excited me.

Mouthfeel: Dry and thin...

Drinkability: Well I tried it, and was let down. This beer seems quite unbalanced, and relatively undrinkable. For the eleven or twelve bucks I dished out on this, I could have found a superior barrel aged imperial stout.

Overall this beer was a letdown. I'm not going to give up on Brewdog because I like their philosophy and business model, i just simply haven't had a beer of theirs that I've liked yet...

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

Small capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Nearly pitch black, small, short lasting tan head, minimal lacing.
Aroma is roasted grains, lightly, some chocolate, coffee, and a well balanced contribution from vanilla, whisky and wood notes.
It is unfortunately a bit thin for an imperial stout, but the flavors are well blended together, and quite nice, with bittersweet chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and whisky.
A little bit more body, and a better presentation would make this a stellar beer. Good as it is, but in this price range, not worth it.

3.37/5  rDev -3.4%

not off to a good start. the beer level barely made it to the neck of the bottle (>12 oz.) and no carbonation was released when I popped the cap.

dark cola color with no head and no lacing.

for a stout aged in scotch barrels, not much on the nose. malts, molasses, smoke & faint scotch. everything seems light. hope things improve or this was a $10 flop!

starts with dark chocolate, malts and then fades to burnt wood & peat. ends with bitter hops and scotch to give a not bad aftertaste. best part of the beer.

light body (almost watery) that's low on carbonation. again, strange for a very dark stout aged in scotch barrels.

drinkable? not really. glad I tried it? yes but would never go back to it for such a high price point. novel at best.

3.12/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a very thick texture. There was a small amount of foamy, tan-colored head, but that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing at all.

S: Once you open the bottle the whiskey smell hits you. It dominates the aroma, but there are traces of malt and coffee.

T: Tasted of malt, whiskey, and some coffee in the finish, but mainly this is a thin, watery beer with not much character. Very average.

M: An OK amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A decidedly average beer.

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this on-tap as a cask-conditioned ale at the Beer Engine in Lakewood on 4/10/10.

Served warm in a snifter, this brew is black as night with a brown, bubbly head.

Smells of burnt firewood -- no, really, like burnt firewood, the same smell you smell on your clothes after hanging around a fire pit all night. How did they capture that smell in a beer?

Tastes like liquid smoke. It wouldn't surprise me if there was ash in here. Beyond the smokiness, there is faint malt smell, and enough hops to end it with some bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and rich.

Drinkable? Well, I finished it, and am glad I had it, especially on tap from a cask, as it seems to be a rare presentation for this beer. Would I have it again? It is expensive on tap or from the bottle, plus it is a little much. As such, I don't see me getting this again,

4.32/5  rDev +23.8%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Big thanks to monsterzero for this bottle!

At VDubb's behest, I dive into another Paradox batch. This one, like the others, pours a straight obsidian, with a chapeau of short-lived brown bubbles floating on top. The nose has a strong whiskey bent, along with the necessary oak; these are joined by lesser notes of roasted malts, dark chocolate, a touch of smoke, and some brown sugar suspended in molasses. "How very nice!" my overtly proper (and apparently slightly effeminate) 'strils proclaim. The taste mirrors the smell, though the smoke lends itself more toward a blackened biscuit flavor. Like the other Paradoxes, this is a mighty tasty barrel-aged brew. The body is a firm heavy, with barely any carbonation and a smooth, nearly chewy feel. Another bit o' barrel-aged stouty goodness from those wacky Scots.

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours with a small, half finger head of light brown foam on dark brown body with chestnut highlights. The loose bubbles dissipate rapidly and leave little lace.

S - A rich, nutty aroma of chocolate and espresso. Some caramel and molasses as well as a bit of boozy smoke.

T - Creamy chocolate up front with a strong phenolic note of smoke and roast grain quickly appearing to cut through. Astringent, grassy hop bitterness washes over the palate in the middle and highlights the spicy, increasingly medicinal phenolic notes. Finishes with a black coffee roast character that imparts significant malt bitterness. Lingering phenols and astringency with just a hint of the chocolate and boozy smoke from the aroma.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, and a relatively dry finish.

D - This is my second beer from Brewdog's Paradox series, and I am shocked at how different it is from the first (the other was a batch 008 Islay). This beer has a rich, malty aroma with a very nice infusion of moderately smoky Scotch character; darker and more nutty than the Islay, but comparably enjoyable and complex. Unfortunately, the flavor is not nearly so nice and it is where this beer really begins to fall apart. It is oddly thin and dry with a strong astringency and phenolic character throughout. This is a contrast to the sweet caramel and smoky peat that dominated in the Islay. It has a definite Scotch note, but it is too woody and sour for my taste and it really doesn't seem to bring out the best in the base beer. One might be inclined to say that the Paradox beers are hit and miss, which they are, but I think the more important lesson to take away from the experience is just how important barrel selection is when aging beer in spirit barrels. There is a stark contrast between the beer aged in the Bowmore cask and the beer aged in a Smokehead cask and it shows that to get the most out of the barrel aging process, the brewer must be careful in selecting the ideal barrel. I would expect that this is as true of Bourbon barrels and Brandy casks as it is of Scotch.

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Polished onyx with rust and russet highlights along the bottom edge of the glass. The pale caramel colored head is small despite a vigorous pour, reaching just one finger at its apex. Very little lace isn't surprising for a barrel-aged stout with a double digit ABV.

The aroma is nice, although it doesn't have as much whisky character as expected. Each sniff delivers dark chocolate, dark caramel and a hint of cold coffee. Maybe these barrels weren't as leaky as some of the others.

Batch 010 is roughly the same level of quality as the rest of the Paradox series of stouts. That isn't surprising since the only difference, as far as I can tell, is the particular spirits that formerly occupied the barrels used for aging.

Despite a serious shortage of malt, the beer has the power that only a 10.0% ABV can provide. A snifter and sips is definitely the way to go. As in the nose, the flavor isn't as whisky-soaked as I recall. That said, it's becoming more so as the beer gains a few degrees.

Specifics include dark chocolate-covered coffee beans, anise seed, a faint dark fruitiness, and the iodine-like seaweed quality that Scotch lovers crave. If that doesn't sound very good to you, then stick with American double stouts and Russian Imperials. There are plenty of good-great ones out there.

The mouthfeel had a lock on an average score... until the past few ounces. It's too light, but manages to firm up just enough to avoid being disappointing. At least it isn't fizzy. More malt please.

Paradox Speyside (Batch 010) is good stuff if you love both big stouts and Scotch whisky. I'm more than content to keep drinking 'good stuff' from BrewDog Ltd (ridiculous prices notwithstanding), but I'm still waiting for that lightning bolt that heralds the arrival of something world-class from these blokes.

4.52/5  rDev +29.5%

I love working at a liqour store, had this for free.

A: Reddish brown/black. No active carbonation, no head. Looks like a well aged stout should.

S: Roasted malt, some cherry and other dark fruits. A little whiskey is evident. Yum.

T: Warm tasting. Some very mild roasted game tastes. A little bitter. Cooked fruit for sure. A definte whiskey after taste.

Mouthfeel is too light.