BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - SmokeheadBrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Identical to Batch 010 as the casks were re-used.

(Beer added by: Onslow on 01-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead Alström Bros

mhenson42, Dec 01, 2011

guytyping, Mar 25, 2013

trixdout, Nov 14, 2011

rkasten1, Jan 25, 2012

christopheraknox, Dec 31, 2011

This beer is amazing. It is smooth and has a great finish. The aroma is smooth yet smokey. For a strong beer it is not as over powering as one would expect.

Its dark caramel color is exceptional and the beer only gets better with each sip you take!!

JerseyDevil980, Aug 09, 2009

Discordian, Dec 15, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +32.8%

Thanks to Reakt for this amazing gift.... where do i begin? ... amazing amazing aroma's, from earth, burnt toast, toffee, smoke, more earth, peat, iodine, whiskey, , truly crazy and dry and delicious ... is almost to complex to fully comprehend... this brew was made for special occasions, like a day off from work after an amazing sunday off watching man utd thrash chelsea 3-0 ...

Onslow, Jan 12, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +31.4%

A: Served in a brandy snifter, Smokehead is deep black with a faint head that dissipates quickly.

S: Wow... If you like Islay scotch, this is definitely for you. Deep peat is backed by faint coffee and caramel.

T: Dry, with notes of caramel, toast, and peaty iodine. The smoke is far different than that of a Rauchbier. You really have to have had a peaty scotch to know this smoke.

M: Medium body, which complements the heavy smoke nicely, allowing it to coat the mouth as long as possible before becoming too much.

D: I have been meaning to try this beer for over a year know, and am thrilled that I have before it was too late. This is truly an experience. I definitely recommend this to any Scotch drinkers, or those who are interested in an original brew.

Avagadro, Jan 24, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

Although I'm not a huge whisky fan, I have to admit that I do have a taste for the stuff from Islay (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, etc.). So, when I saw this batch-only brew, aged in Islay whisky casks, I had to give it a try. Wow is an appropriate word. Although the appearance is reasonable for an imperial stout (black, thick, thin tan head), it's not particularly remarkable. The smell, however, blew me away. It's a fantastic mix of peat smoke (akin to the Islay whisky) and well made imperial stout. Lots of smoke, wood, char, charcoal, raisins, malt, alcohol, plums, and so it goes. Incredibly complex and powerful aroma. The taste follows suit. Spot on with with aroma. The smoke is wonderfully matched with a big malt flavor and plenty of roasted, burnt grain flavors. Lots of roasted barley, bitter chocolate, oily, thick sensations are abundant. This is one complex and very well balanced beer. It's sweet as well, but not cloying. It also hides it's alcohol quite well, except for a nice warming and the noted scent. Wonderfully drinkable and incredibly complex. Great stuff!

Suds, Mar 15, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +29.5%

On-cask at Nicholson's, Cincinnati - 6/30/09

A: Pours a dark brown, almost purplish, with no head or lacing.

S: A very strong, pungent scotch aroma with a huge smoky character.

T: Big and complex. Lots of smoke - peat, mesquite, campfire - with hints of chocolate, molasses, and vanilla. The aging in scotch barrels is unmistakable, and this one is nearly like drinking a glass of whiskey.

M: Full-bodied, thick, and viscous. A lasting smoke character lingers on the throat.

D: If you like scotch, then this one is for you; if not, then don't bother. Frankly, I love the stuff.

klewis, Jul 01, 2009

tln13, Apr 20, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

Oh this is tasty! I am drinking it at room temp and poured it from a bottle into a pint glass. I am a big fan of Brewdog's concept and I love whisky. Yeah, no "e" means I am refering to Scotch by the way.

For me this is the best of both worlds. Why wouldn't a Scots brewery age it's brews in whisky barrels? The US breweries have been doing it so it only makes sense and I am glad they have been utilizing various regional whisky casks.

Islay is my favorite region that produces whisky because I love the smoky and peaty qualities it yields. As far as colour it is nothing like a KBS as it reveals a deep cherry red when held up to the light. It has a tan head that evaporates quickly and there is no retention which I think is due to the alcohol presence.

This beer smells like I am by a creek full of fallen trees as I stand over a fire whilst I am near a bog. Like I said, best of both worlds. Febreeze could learn from them.

This beer tastes so lovely. The smoke and peat stick to the sides of my mouth as a spicy, tobacco sweetness runs down the thoroughfare of my tongue, titilating my taste bids. I have a propensity to slam this beer but the Scot blood in me causes me to take my time and savour.

Given the style this is such a drinkable beer! It is so smoothe and well balanced. My tongue is left with a sense of vanilla, oak, moss, and maple syrup..

I know what they say about opinions but all in all this beer is fantastic. I will most definitely be trying more varieties of the paradox series. I couldn't ask for anything better than having a beverage that encapsulates the world of whisky and stout beer.

Motladiwa, Jun 09, 2011

tabitha, Jun 03, 2013

speak72, Oct 20, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours opaque, almost black beer without head, only some bubbles on the surface. Outstanding aroma of peat whisky, coffee, smoke and drugstore's phenol. Taste is peaty, chocolate, slightly bitter, dry, alcohol well hidden. Owing to cask-maturing, wood is easy distinguished in taste. More than moderate carbonation. Very drinkable beer, lukewarm liquid with hot embrace. Unique kind of beer from recent weird brewery.

Dentist666, Mar 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +27.4%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before 8/8/2010. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with about a 1/2 inch tan head after a vigorous pour. Head retention is low, but lacing is good. The beer smells like peat, smoke, oak/wood, and a bit like Band-Aid bandages. The taste is big, it's strong on the smoke and peat flavors with with some vanilla, oak, bittersweet chocolate and salt noticable. Mouthfeel/body is medium. It is a bit thin for a stout, but the relative thinness works well for this beer. Drinkability is good too, it's very smooth and the low carbonation makes this pretty easy to drink. Even with the price (around $12-13 a bottle I think), I would definitely buy this brew again. If you enjoy Smokehead or other Islay whiskys, I think you'd like this brew a lot. Out of the 4 Paradox beers I've tried, I have to say that this one is easily my favorite. Looks like I'll have to try some Smokehead Scotch now!

bluejacket74, Jul 05, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +24.7%

Thanks to my brutha Onslow for this tastey mid-afternoon snack.

this brew pours up solid black with a quickly fading bubbly tan head. great retentive lacing. the nose is scotch, pale roasted malts, nicely smokey. the taste is very salty, seaweed, scotch, smoke, peaty. A very dry beer and not boozy at all! medium bodied, low carbo, a thin head lasted through the whole ride. Amazing beer....

stumac, Jan 13, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark chocolate coloring

S - Oak, Peat, smokey, Carmel, chocolate in that order.

T - peat, and smoke dominates the front end taste with a smooth Carmel chocolate flavor following though at the very end.

M - very viscsous and full.

O - a fantastic beer, one of the best I have ever had. In the same category as rochefort 10.

BelgianBeerHog26, Feb 11, 2012

jwat, May 13, 2014

Grebdioz, Dec 28, 2011

kkdowning, Jun 16, 2014

kmatlack, Feb 22, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Small capped beer, kept in my controlled cellar, poured into a snifter.
Pitch black, tan head that is kind of small, but holds well.
For a rauchbier and stout lover, this is a great beer. The aroma has coffee, chocolate, mild vanilla and whisky notes, and a lot of smoke. It is not Aecht Schlenkerla, but it has a lot more smokiness, burnt wood notes than most smokes beers out there.
Full bodied, heavily malty, with again lots of smoke alongside the more classical coffee, chocolate notes.
Very very interesting, wish I could get my hands on more.
Discontinued and very expensive would be the significant issues.

brdc, Jan 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best before 03/08/10. Huh? for a RIS?

A: bottle opened with a slight CO2 release - almost a still beer with just a whisper of carbonation - opaque
S: probably one of the more unusual noses with a dominating Islay Lagavulin-type, peaty backbone
T: to a lover of Islays (Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Uigeadail, etc.) this is a phenomenal beer, a marriage between two of my great loves (big ballsy beers and Islays), peaty, smokey, but with a subdued alcohol bite and well-balanced malt backbone, well-done
M/D: very good, highly drinkable for alcohol content, almost like a single malt with tons of malt and a lot less alcohol!

wisrarebeer, Feb 06, 2010