BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - SmokeheadBrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Onslow on 01-12-2009

Identical to Batch 010 as the casks were re-used.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

Oh this is tasty! I am drinking it at room temp and poured it from a bottle into a pint glass. I am a big fan of Brewdog's concept and I love whisky. Yeah, no "e" means I am refering to Scotch by the way.

For me this is the best of both worlds. Why wouldn't a Scots brewery age it's brews in whisky barrels? The US breweries have been doing it so it only makes sense and I am glad they have been utilizing various regional whisky casks.

Islay is my favorite region that produces whisky because I love the smoky and peaty qualities it yields. As far as colour it is nothing like a KBS as it reveals a deep cherry red when held up to the light. It has a tan head that evaporates quickly and there is no retention which I think is due to the alcohol presence.

This beer smells like I am by a creek full of fallen trees as I stand over a fire whilst I am near a bog. Like I said, best of both worlds. Febreeze could learn from them.

This beer tastes so lovely. The smoke and peat stick to the sides of my mouth as a spicy, tobacco sweetness runs down the thoroughfare of my tongue, titilating my taste bids. I have a propensity to slam this beer but the Scot blood in me causes me to take my time and savour.

Given the style this is such a drinkable beer! It is so smoothe and well balanced. My tongue is left with a sense of vanilla, oak, moss, and maple syrup..

I know what they say about opinions but all in all this beer is fantastic. I will most definitely be trying more varieties of the paradox series. I couldn't ask for anything better than having a beverage that encapsulates the world of whisky and stout beer. (1,626 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Served on cask at Pizzeria Paradiso. Ksak's choice and my share...

A: Another dark stout, midnight with no moon. The head is lighter than Black Force One, more of an off-white color that has the consistency of a cask pour.

S: The nose is wickedly interesting, combining sea salt, peated whisky and the deep underlying power of a BrewDog stout. Very interesting, especially the barrel and the briny Scotch that it delivers. One helluva pairing.

T: Again, the briny Scotch delivers all that it promises, with sea salt and peat competing for attention. Good news is that both win out, a mouthfull in each sip. As advertised, bittersweet chocolate is below the surface, adding just a bit of depth. Truth be told though, the whisky aspect is what makes the stout sing. The brine lingers in each sip.

M: A stout, a few barrels and Islay? Sign me up any time. The one differs from JW Lee's Lagavulin but still delivers a good punch.

To each his reach and I'll cop this one again. (977 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Batch 015, Best before 09/08/10, Pouted 5/10/2011
Served cooler than room temperature, tried to let it warm gradually.

An aggressive pour yields a thin head, but retains well with fine delicate lacing. Dark body with yellowy highlights.

Smell is powerful, with plenty of peat and malt. This is what Islay smells like, to put it concisely.

Taste is a ton of smoke. Straight up smoke, then some oaky flavor. There's the salt and iodine that you'd expect from an Islay scotch, and it's quite representative of the region.

Mouthfeel is thin... almost watery. This could really benefit from a creamier mouthfeel.

I hope you like scotch; the mouthfeel is thin enough that this is more like a dark, malty (watered down) scotch than a beer. Still quite nice. (755 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours an almost black body with a huge 3-finger khaki head that's rocky and pillowy. Shows decent retention and awesome lacing.

S- At first, it kinda smells like a Sharpie. A little peat and smoke shows through, but sadly, mainly that magic marker aroma. Not bad, but then again I kinda like that smell. No alchohol shows through.

T- The smoked flavor really stands out, alomst bacon-ish. Not too much here that I expected. A little roasted malt flavor, but again, magic marker.

MF- Medium bodied with flavor that sits well on the palate.

O- A good beer, but was expecting much more in terms of whiskey flavors and a stronger malt flavor, but it seems like it just can't shake that magic marker smell/flavor. (715 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Style: whiskey cask aged imperial stout
Brewed by: Brewdog Ltd.
Location: Fraserburgh, Scotland, UK
Rating: 3.8
First had: bottle, special ordered from Scotland

Pours dark opaque brown to black with a tan head. Earthiness in the nose with scents of alcohol and whiskey. Tastes similar, with whiskey, earthiness, and smoked wood. Lots of character. Medium mouthfeel with a bit of filminess and a somewhat harsh aftertaste. Strong, but moderately drinkable. (456 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

330ml bottle.

Not exactly black out of the bottle and shows some ruby hints around the edges. The head is short lived and bubbly, leaving no lacing, just some boozy legs on the sides.

The scotch just jumps out of the glass with tons of smoked peat and alcohol in the nose. The underlying stout doesn't stand a chance vs. the huge Scotch presence. Maybe some roasted chocolate malts but not much.

The taste is just crazy with Scotch. All kinds of smoke and peat right off the bat. Light chocolate malts I the background, but let me emphasize the "background". Dry barrel-heavy finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and pretty much feels like sipping on Scotch.

This is a full-on Scotch bomb. If you're a big fan of smoke-heavy Scotches, this is your beer. If you're looking for well balanced BA stouts, you'll probably want to pass on this one. (870 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter. Black. 1/2 dark tan head, fades quickly. Sticky looking lacing. Aroma is of slight nuttiness, lots of smoke, and very medicinal bitterness. Mouthfeel is of a medium body. Taste is like someone took a half cup of burnt campfire embers and beef jerkey shavings and mixed them into a glass of the worst possible cough syrup. Overall, I love smokey beers, but I very much dislike the medicinal taste here. Very good smokey aftertaste though. (482 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

from a bottle, poured into a wide mouth tulip. I've been cellaring this a few months.

Appearance: almost pitch black. forms a one finger head that dissipates into a lacy layer of bubbles on the top. leaves a good lacing pattern on the glass.

Smell: More like an Islay Whisky than a beer without smelling boozy, heavy scents of earth and peat

Taste: Carmel sweetness and woody bitterness without a real hop profile but lots of grain. smells like a whisky, tastes like a beer with lots of smoke. The finish is long and complex with lots of stout-like flavors and an oakey bitterness that lasts a long time

Mouthfeel: The carbonation comes out in the mouth to give it a smooth texture but heavy bodied mouthfeel

Overall: a very expensive bottle and a very good drink. my first brewdog beer and only my second review on BA. would gladly drink again if somebody else were buying, I'll spread my money around for more good beer. (927 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Very dark, but with absolutely no head or appearance of carbonation when poured

S: It smells just like a smoky & peaty scotch, but maybe has a touch too much sweetness coming off of it. Perfect if you are a scotch & beer drinker. You can really pick up the alcohol coming through

T: Very interesting and unique. I've never had a beer that actually captures the essence of great quality scotch. The smoke and the peat are very forefront on the taste.

M: Extremely thin and acts more like a scotch and not at all like a beer. There is no essence of carbonation at all, but I think if the carbonation was there it might ruin the beer.

O: You really have to love a smoky and peaty scotch to love this beer... and for me its wonderful. The only negative I can find with this beer is the overly sweet smell and somewhat of a sweet taste. (840 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

It is a little hard for me to keep track of which Paradox beers I've tried, but I knew that "smokehead" was never in my vocabulary before, so here we are:

Appearance: Pours dark as oil with a small head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head was gone pretty quickly, and left some scattered lacing on the glass after the whole swirling thing and all that.

Aroma: The hops are a pretty big player in the initial part of the aroma, but the sweet malt is unmistakable as is a Peat presence, so Islay Whiskey is a scotch of some sort which would make sense in hindsight. There are dark fruit like raisins in here, but they are reserved when compared to the peat and hops. As the beer warms up, it is taking on a definitive "liquid smoke" aroma.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely but is less Peat oriented than I thought that it would be. The peat is playing a supporting role to the malty and roasty flavors that make up this beer. As the beer warms up, the "liquid smoke" presence that is in the aroma is coming out in the flavor big-time. It is actually taking over the flavor from the roast or anything else "stout" like. There is alcoholic warming setting in that plays a pretty big role in the finish. The body is medium with low carbonation, so it sits on the palate pretty heavy.

Opinion: This is an alright beer, but falls short from others this brewery produces. The flavors are a bit out of balance, and I don't know if they will ever come around if the beer is cellared. I would say to try this beer if you are a big fan of smoke beers, but I am a casual connoisseur of smoky brews, so this one is a bit of a stretch for my palate. (1,661 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 015, Best Before 04/04/2011, so I guess it was best before today. I'm sure this one will have really gone downhill since yesterday, but I'll grade accordingly.

A - Pours black as night with zero head. A ring of bubbles surround the edge all the way around the glass, but they are gone shortly after pouring.

S - A strong, but not overwhelming, whisky smell. Some dark roasted malts are hiding in there, but peat is the star of the show.

T - Starts off with the roasted malts before the peat takes over. Some notes of chocolate, coffee, and smokiness are also present. More peat comes in at the back end.

M - A bit disappointing for an imperial stout. Very thin body. I would have expected more given the fairly intense smell and taste.

O - A fairly enjoyable beer, but I doubt if I would buy it again. I bought this in Minneapolis last September and I don't remember how much the bottle was, but BrewDog beers aren't typically known for their reasonable prices, so it is probably safe to say this one isn't worth the price. If you can find a bottle for a reasonable price, it's worth a try, but not something that will blow your mind. (1,145 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a black color with chocolate head. Minimal head and mild lacing. Huge pete aroma with a musty dank malt charachter. Overwhelmingly scotchy and the mildewy pete is very forbidding at a taste of this brew. Crazy warm phenol and perfuming burnt charchoal fill your palate. As it aired out a bit the flavors were not as intense. Very nice aftertaste but was missing balance. (377 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -52.7%

Smokehead

This one promises intense peat, lets see. A HUGE nose of smoke, and I mean smoke. Smoked porters best bend over to the new king. This is smoke! I mean suffocating smoke. That said who wants to take a whiff of smoke? It's like being in a burning building. The flavor is far more acceptable. Dominated by vanilla sweetness with far more subtle smoke finish. Brew Dog's IPA that was barrel aged has more peat flavor or at least the flavor is more overt, but this is a fascinating beer.

Don't let my score scare you off from this beer. It isn't great and it is extremely overpriced but it is such a different beer, so unique that I simply can't help but tell people to seek it out and sample it. The port Dundas is a vastly better beer, but there has to be points for unique work like this. (799 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm breaking the rules a bit here with a review well past the best before date (noted on the bottle to be August 2010, and it's now March 2011 - always disappointing when you buy something well past it's best before). I'm thinking that if anything should be able to age (beyond a Barleywine) something this dark and powerful should have a shot. It was pretty impressive, so I'm reviewing anyway!

A - deep black with little accumulated head, but lots of big bubbles that resolve after a few minutes. Little tiny points of lace on the glass.

S - stunningly familiar (to an Islay Scotch fan) - pure peat and iodine so like many of the classic Islay Malts. Some elements of dark fruit as well, but really lots and lots of peat!

T - lots of peat and smoke up front resolving into some dried fruit and almost sweet malts. An interesting paradox (ha ha). The finish also has some really earthy tones the appear well after a sip.

M - very light; in a sense too light for the flavor. I really expected something with more body to complement to powerful flavors. It's not bad, but it doesn't seem quite right.

D - truly shocking drinkability; it's listed as 10% but there's just the smallest hint of warmth. It's a spellbinding drink that gets more and more interesting.

Very happy to have tried this, albeit a little late in its lifespan; regardless, it was pretty special. (1,370 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

One finger brown head with big bubbles that fades quickly, though there's always a ring around. Black colour. Smell of dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, whiskey. Strong body, you can feel the weight in the tongue. Taste of chocolate, liquorice, coffee, whisky, fruits. (281 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

The beer is dark, black with red tones, a small tan head, little lacing but good curtains.

The smell is burned and earthy forest, a sunny tar bridge with some old concrete foundation.

Initially sweet burnt sugar, smoked sausages, charcoal and a zesty bitterness.

A rather small carbonation, a heavy and complex body, some syrup traits, a slightly dry finish.

A nice tasty smoke bomb! (387 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

I was excited to try this, as I'm a fan of all things Islay. The beer which I compare this to is the Black Hole scotch barrel.

It pours a dark black but still has a beautiful ruby hue when held up to light. No head noted.

Aroma is full of characteristic peat peat peat ... LOVE IT!!! Not much else past the peat.

The taste top notch, however I think with a year or two of age this beer would have been INSANE! It still burns a bit as it goes down. There was a bit of dark fruit and smoke ... not too much though.

I'm glad I got this ... worth the $12.99 price tag. (572 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Cask at the Brick Store.

Pours black with dark brown highlights and a one-finger tan head. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy peat and earthy smoke backed by smooth roasted malts. Also present are hints of dark chocolate.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not quite as well-integrated. Lightly roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by heavy peat with a slight saltiness. Earthy smoke flavors come in midway through the sip and temper the peat. Very slight hints of semi-sweet chocolate come into play near the end of the sip before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's a bit on the thin side with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I thought this beer suffered from the cask conditioning. The peat was allowed to shine a tad more but the body and overall complexity in the flavor profile was lessened. Still, worth a shot however you can get it. (1,042 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

freezing cold outside, and I have no power... so might as well go out, buy a beer and review it.
Bottle from local bottle shop, says best before 15/08/14.
Pours a dark brown, much lighter than I expected, with almost no head... and what does form seems to have massive bubbles... looks like Coke. And, almost had to complain about the amount, but 330 ml is a wee bit over 11oz...
Smells a very peaty vinegar (which could be explained by the smoke, I guess) with some chocolate hints... not sure if this is off or not, by the smell, I give this 50-50 chance.
Taste is very smoky and a bit sour with a heavy alcohol presence. A lot of ash and char in this one as well, I was hoping that the smoke would be downplayed a lot more after this has aged as a lot of others do, but doesn't seem to be the case.
Mouthfeel is actually quite nice, the large coke carbonation is not present. Has a nice oily medium/thick consistency.
Overall, not too bad for a beer on a freezing day with no power, but I wouldnt get this again. (1,017 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Black forest cake with no highlights on this overcast late January morning. A modest escape of CO2 was followed by a slim slice of beige foam that is no longer completely covering the beer. Minimal lace makes it to the snifter. Not the best looking of the lot.

The aroma is three parts peaty Scotch whisky to one part roasted malty stout. It may be because the 'best by' date is a mere three months away, but this iteration doesn't seem as pungent as the others. More of the stout would have been nice.

Smokehead 015 brings it on the flavor front, as all of these Paradox brews do. This is my sixth one and all six have earned 4.0 for both flavor and drinkability. That makes sense since they only vary by the whisky that was previously in the cask.

Even though the Scotch used in this batch is unknown to me, it tastes like something from the Islay region. The beer has that classic phenolic, bandage-like, seaweedy character that some aficionados of the world's greatest spirit crave.

The stout plays a bigger role on the palate. Chocolate malt dominates, with hints of roasted coffee bean peaking in at the edges. The rest is all whisky, in a wonderfully balanced kind of way. Maybe it's age, but this is definitely not boozy beer.

Too bad the mouthfeel has taken a hit, although it's obvious that it was nowhere near Dark Lord thick and chewy to begin with. Enough bubbles have survived to keep things reasonably well-expanded, which helps keep the score at average.

This bottle of BrewDog Paradox Smokehead Batch 015 is more enjoyable than the final score will indicate. Time won't do it any favors, so if you're cellaring a bottle, crack the crown before warmer weather rolls around. (1,695 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Small capped beer, kept in my controlled cellar, poured into a snifter.
Pitch black, tan head that is kind of small, but holds well.
For a rauchbier and stout lover, this is a great beer. The aroma has coffee, chocolate, mild vanilla and whisky notes, and a lot of smoke. It is not Aecht Schlenkerla, but it has a lot more smokiness, burnt wood notes than most smokes beers out there.
Full bodied, heavily malty, with again lots of smoke alongside the more classical coffee, chocolate notes.
Very very interesting, wish I could get my hands on more.
Discontinued and very expensive would be the significant issues. (619 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +30.1%

A: Served in a brandy snifter, Smokehead is deep black with a faint head that dissipates quickly.

S: Wow... If you like Islay scotch, this is definitely for you. Deep peat is backed by faint coffee and caramel.

T: Dry, with notes of caramel, toast, and peaty iodine. The smoke is far different than that of a Rauchbier. You really have to have had a peaty scotch to know this smoke.

M: Medium body, which complements the heavy smoke nicely, allowing it to coat the mouth as long as possible before becoming too much.

D: I have been meaning to try this beer for over a year know, and am thrilled that I have before it was too late. This is truly an experience. I definitely recommend this to any Scotch drinkers, or those who are interested in an original brew. (764 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

BrewDog Paradox Smokehead on cask at ChurchKey, DC.

Appearance: Served in a small brandy snifter, comes with a deep-auburn color, not quite black. Like a Pedro Ximenez old sherry. Perfect winter beer, ideal to watch the snow falling outside in the streets of DC. Absolutely no carbonation, no bubbles, no lacing. Nothing. Dead like a corpse.

Smell: This feels like the BBQ sauce they put on chicken nuggets you'd buy at a McDonald's in Europe. Honey and molasses. Above all, smoke and more smoke. Booze. Soy sauce, whiskey.
'
Taste: Smoke through and through. Disappointingly one-dimensional, compared to the nose and mouthfeel. Very nourishing, like and outdoor BBQ-party in North Carolina.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely no carbonation, feels like water and old wine. "Diluted waterness", my friend said. More liquor than beer.

Drinkability: I got only four ounces so it was fine. Sure, it is super whiskey-y, but not overtly boozy. A pleasant sipper, but only for smoke and whiskey lovers. I enjoyed it. (1,005 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance -
Dark liquid with a thick, frothy head which lingers for a while before dissipating. Frothy ring clings to the glass throughout.

Smell -
A dominant peated whisky smell - very heavy and smokey.

Taste -
A powerful overall taste, strong alcohol bitterness. Starts with the sensation of the Imperial stout with the characteristic roasted barley, but soon this is replaced with the strong smokey taste from the Islay Whisky casks and the lingering taste is a bitterness on the back of the tongue associated with the Whisky.

Mouthfeel -
Heavy but smooth. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability -
This is a fantastic beer for Whisky fans. It has the characteristic smell and taste of Islay Whisky with the underlying imperial stout taste which carries it. If you're not a fan of peated Whisky you might want to give this one a miss as it is the overpowering feature of this beer. Saying that, it is definitely one of the more unusual beers I have drank of late and certainly one that I will remember fondly. However, it is definitely not to be drunk in quantity, this is a beer which you would really only want to drink in small quantities, either a single bottle or shared with a friend.

(Price - £4.60 for 330ml Bottle) (1,230 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Batch 15 bottle with a best by date of 08/08/10... I guess I missed it's freshness by six months. But since it's a stout and a 10% one, aged in whiskey barrels, I am sure the extra time in bottle won't hurt.

Then again maybe it will as the pour is unimpressive. The beer is dark brown with red in the deep end and yellow towards the highlights. The head is thin and not showy at all.

The nose is very distinct. The best description I can give is imagine pouring your favorite deepest, darkest stout into a glass and drinking it gone. Then fill that un-rinsed glass with some scotch and that's the nose of this beer. Heavy peated scotch wIth the muted stout in the distance. Personally I can't wait to try this beer. I'm as much of a fan of scotch as I am of beer and this is the best matchup since you got your peanut butter on my chocolate.

The nose might be all scotch but the taste sure isn't. In fact the only thing scotch-ish here is the peat flavor. The stout is muted compared to the smokiness of this brew. There isn't much dark toasty flavor and it's kind of overly smoked for my taste. This is more a campfire tasting beer then an oak aged stout.

The feel of this beer is my favorite part. It has a smooth and coating mouthfeel that really invades every square centimeter of your mouth. The carbonation is light and the body not to heavy or syrupish for an imperial stout. Alais it all comes back to taste and this one is poor. It tastes the same as sucking on a half burnt stick of oak (don't ask how I know that, just trust me.) That and it was $12 for one bottle! WTF? This is a novelty beer and I'm a sucker that fell for the buzz and hype around it. Pass it by. (1,684 characters)

BrewDog Paradox Smokehead (Batch 015) - Smokehead from BrewDog