Dogma - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: seaoflament on 03-04-2009

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.
2.16/5  rDev -40%

Not sure of the style but it seems to fit a type of herbed/spiced beer category. The description on the bottles states: "Ale brewed with Scottish heather honey, kola nut, California poppy seed, and guarana." Sounds interesting. Got to try this one at La Bella Pizza thanks to Danny.

Pours a golden color with a half inch of foam, good retention.

Hints of kola nuts, honey, maybe guarana, toasted malts, sort of a rusty nail aroma too (in a bad way). Some grape fruitiness and a few minutes later I got a sweaty and armpit aroma, not appetizing at all.

Argh! Rusty nails again! Metallic in flavor, like sucking on a penny. Some herbal hoppyness, honey, but horrible mixture of flavors!

Decent carbonation but the aroma and flavor ruin everything else.

This bottle was split between 3 people and neither of us could finish our taster glasses. (845 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%

Shared by Ryan011235. Best by 29-08-11

Appearance
Hazy and rusty in color with a twinge of orange. Short, dotty lacing from a small head.

Aroma
There seems to be a slight bit of oxidation here, but the papery smells could be coming from some of these weird spices. There is a decidedly annoying, energy drink, bro-dude herbal nonsense smell to this.

Taste
Sweet with a lot of weird spices and fruity herbal stuff. A short flash of anise-like flavors could be from the poppy seeds. A honey-like sweeter finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium body with a nice dry finish.

Overall
This stuff is obnoxious. I feel like this is the guys a Brew Dog's personalities in pure liquid form. Trendy, bro-dudey, self-centered and obnoxious. (721 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -31.7%

A: Off white head stacks up high, billowing, creamy, and extremely sticky. Pours a hazy brown/amber hue body.

S: Honey! Hints of caramel malts and some spices & herbs.

T: A little chocolate malts, honey, spices, & pepper. However, kind of tasted like what I would think paint chips would taste like (here's to Tommy Boy).

M: Medium body with light carbonation and a lean texture.

D: I had a hard time drinking this one. Not a huge fan. I would not recommend this to anyone. (477 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

Huh. Teaser beer that don't deliver. Poured with a great off white to tan colored head and lots of lace. Color is a slightly hazy medium amber. Aroma is interestlingly different. Then the taste is where it all goes to hell. Shallow. chemical. Who decided that this is good? Flav is so off that it's hard to think about body. Carbonation is ok. Finish is too long for the flavor. Glad it's now only a weird memory. (413 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

A- Hazy orange amber color. decent retention, with some lacing.

S- A mess of spices and yeast characteristics.

T- Bitter and unbalanced. Too many spices jumbled together at once.

M- decent med body, kinda thin on the backend.

O- not my cup of tea (250 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a crystal clear dark amber color with reddish orange hues and a huge bubbly/sticky head that slowly recedes but paints my glass white. Smell is herbal bordering on medicinal with hints of patchouli and pepper. Sweet caramel malts, a touch of corn, hints of dark fruit round out the aroma. Taste is dry and spicy. Starts off peppery followed by some darker fruits and honey. Lingering herbal, menthol taste in the finish. Medium to high level of carbonation, medium body, sticky herbal mouthfeel. This one just didn't agree with me. I love the way Brewdog likes to push boundaries and try new things, but I disliked the herbal medicinal character of this one. One and done for me. (685 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

Cloudy red-brown appearance. Finger of off-white head.

Nose is herbal and spicy. Different and fairly enticing.

Flavor is overwhelming herbs and spice. What worked for the nose is too much of a good thing on the palate. Tastes like it was dry hopped with potpourri. Blecchhhh!

Mouthfeel is OK. Hard to evaluate over the train-wreck that is my palate right now.

Overall is severely impacted by the flavor. Just a bad idea, BrewDog... (436 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a hazy dark amber/copper color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a one finger frothy white head that very quickly fades into a lasting ring that leaves

Sweet and spicy aroma with light fruit notes, peppery spice and subtle sweet honey. There is also an earthy herbal presence that blends well with these other aromas. Maybe even a touch of mint.

There are a lot of complex flavors going on here. There is a very strong floral/herbal minty feel along with some spicy peppry notes, subtle sweet honey, clove, light fruit notes and syrupy medicinal notes. Very complex and interesting but the problem is that it doesn't taste very good. I appreciate the experimentation but this beer should only be sought after by people who are curious to sample it once or those looking to tic. (807 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy, golden amber pour. Half finger white head.

S: Certainly some honey sweetness, spice, yeasty fruit. The rest of the aroma is indescribable. A slightly boozy mish mash.

T: Initially peppery and bitter, probably a combination of hops and maybe the poppy seed? Mid palate is quite herbal, sort of sweet. Specific flavors are nondescript. A bit boozy.

M: High carbonation, "medium" thickness.

O: An odd and somewhat distasteful combination of flavors. (460 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -24.7%

The colour is brown-amber (25 ECU), the liquid clear. The compact warm beige four-finger head is uneven. Good head retention. Thick lacing.

The smell is almost perfumed with lots of fresh fir tree and mahogany. Some mild Christmas spices and heavy sweet flavours.

The taste is bitter-sweet and spicy. Some metal and hints of sour fruits. Sweet notes; coconut and toffee. Passing notes of mahogany. I can feel the alcohol in the back of my mouth, but not taste it. Full body. The aftertaste is surprisingly one-handed and flat. Alcohol, metallic bitterness and odd stale-frowsy spices.

The carbonation is strong; the very small bubbles fresh. The liquid is smooth and sticky.

A very odd beer, this one. It starts off with lots of flavours, but they don’t get together very well. And the aftertaste is just flat and sticky. (830 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Batch 4, best by 2/23/11.

A- pours a nice shade of amber. Looks exactly like honey. Head is 2 fingers, slightly offwhite, very puffy. Lacing is overall spotty

S- honey. Lots of honey. Very sweet smelling...well, its unique, thats for sure. Smells good, though

T- I'm not sure what the hell I'm drinking. Its really sweet, as you'd expect from the honey...and quite frankly, that sweetness is all I'm really getting. Maybe a little of the poppy in the finish...but mostly, sickly sweet honey. Ugh

M- the body is...average. Maybe a little on the thin side...but with a style like this, its tough to set a baseline for what you're looking for. Whatever

D- too sweet. Too overwhelming. Won't buy again (742 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -23.3%

A - kind of looks like a glass pg dark honey. Tiny foam.

S - extremely light honey and a tiny bit of kit.

T - a light beer with a touch of honey.

M - thin with a slight tingle in sides of tongue and back of throat.

D - nothing would prevent you from drinking this, except hundreds of other better options. (309 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -23.3%

A: The color is deep orange, almost red. I can see small bubbles in the liquid. The head is thick, about one finger high and white. The head slowly dissolves and leaves lots of lacings on the glass.

S: Smells strawberries, a bit of alcohol, wheat and maybe some honey. I can smell spices and lots of different hops. Maybe Sorachi Ace?

T: A bit peppery at the start. Almost like they have added black pepper. I can feel a lot of honey after the second sip. Wheat bread and toffee is also present. Finishes off with a lot of alcohol. Surprisingly since the ABV is not extremely high.

M: Medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Slightly oily. It's almost too carbonated to my liking.

O: I'm not very fond of this beer. It seems unbalanced. (741 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an orange/brown three finger head dense head.

Aromas of honey - yep...

Taste is honey. But dull, Really dull. Not sweet, just dry n dull... Mixed with a hop-bomb for good measure. Except it isn't a good measure. It needs to be a lighter base.

Mouthfeel, nix to report really.

Oveall, a mismatch between a hoppy beer and a sweet beer. (343 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured out dark orange. Head was a little weak with the poor. There was no expiration date or batch date on the bottle. Don't know if that lead to my sub par experience with this beer. 7.8% ABV and when served cold the beer hides the alcohol pretty well. The aromatics where nice. Definitely smelled the honey and also got a strong citrus smell. You could taste the kola nut as well and I really don't think the ingredients worked well together. Is was a highly complex taste that really overpowers your palette. The warnings are posted all over the bottle. It is called a "flavored ale" and I will quote the back of the bottle, "This ale is not cool. You may think it is, but that is just a beautiful lie fabricated by clowns and gypsies." I should've read their disclosure on the back label. It is a literal discription of what you imagine clowns and gypsies drinking; it would be this "flavored ale" and it tastes like a highly glorified malt liquor. I was expecting at least a bigger presents of a hop flavor, yet it was non-exsistent.
WARNING!!!! It is a highly adventurous beer made by highly adventurous and innovative brewers. People are going to like it and then there will be people like me who can't finish the glass. I have huge respect for Brew Dogs and what they have done for the craft beer community, but this beer just didn't connect with me. (1,360 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hazy dark golden beer, great lacing from this one. Aroma was woody, with clove, it gave me a "bleh" reaction.

Taste, sweet, herbal. Made me think it was one of those batches where the brewer just wanted to make the beer as unconventional and exotic as possible by throwing a ton of different stuff into the batch. Seems to be driven by a Belgian yeast strain and a weird bitterness not derived from hops.

Really didn't care for this beer, glad I knocked it out at the SDIBF and didn't pay some ridiculous price for this down the road. (538 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle: Poured a slightly hazy color amber ale with a medium foamy head with average retention and not much lacing. Aroma of weird and not common spice mix is quiet particular. Taste is also quite particular with some weird spices which I am not particularly fond of. Body is about average with average carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Weird spices and not something I would wish to try again necessarily. (409 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a pint glass. Batch 247. Best before 02 September 2011.

A: Pours light honey-brown, with two fingers of creamy head and countless bubbles rising from the bottom. Clearish.

S: Slightly vegetal (reminiscent of Magic Hat's Wacko) with what is presumably heather in the foreground.

T: Weird, and not entirely pleasant. Thick, with strong, conflicting flavours. This beer allegedly contains guarana, poppy seeds, kola nut, and heather honey. To be honest, I'm not sure what guarana or kola nuts taste like, but there is a strong herbal flavour to the main body that could potentially be either of those things (or heather), lighter tastes like ground poppy seeds, and almost no trace of honey. The aftertaste is bitter...not a pleasant hop bitterness, but like you've chewed too many unsalted almonds.

M: Carbonated, chewy, thick, a bit biscuity. Nice mouthfeel.

D: This beer is not to my taste. It's an interesting beer, and I could see someone liking it, I'm just not that person. It's not bad, and I'm definitely finishing my glass, but I won't ever be buying another. Still, give it a go if you like...maybe you'll like it more than I did. (1,174 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Brown with tons of white head. Looks like a brown ale. Spicy in the nose, boozy, aged malts too.

Taste is overly bitter. Hard to differentiate the ingredients, not a particularly balanced brew. Thin body, plenty of carb, more alcoholic warmth than expected. This one just isn't for me. (286 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

From Notes

Well I am not an expert of spiced beers, so I will try my best with this review. I thought this beer was interesting to say the least. It has a lot going on flavor wise and I am not sure that all these flavors should be contained in the same bottle. The beer was different and unique, and I would drink it again with some friends, but I could not do another bomber alone. I will try this one again down the road and see if things have changed. (455 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a hazy dark amber with a two finger dull light tan head, good retention, moderate lacing.

Aroma was slightly sweet with honey and an overwhelming floral and herb scent.

Taste was bread, malt, honey sweetness, ending with the herbs and a bitter after taste.

Mouth Feel was medium leaning light body, with moderate carbonation, slightly crisp and bitter with a very different floral and herb character.

Overall an interesting beer, however, once was enough for me. (472 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance:

Again tonight I reached for another workhorse in my glassware collection my Unibroue Belgian tulip glass. As I popped the cap on this beer I did not get much of the typical hissing noise. I tilted my glass and poured slowly and soon realized that I was not getting much of a head so I leaned the glass back and poured straight on. When all and all was done I ended up with a very thin bone white head that hung around for quite some time. The color that I am getting is almost a dark gold/ light toasty brown color. (Almost like orange blossom honey) With a hazy undertone this beer still is letting some light pass through and as I give a nice swirl I am seeing a medium amount of lacing slide down the glass wall.

Smell:

Right off the start it smells like a fresh jar of honey, almost mead like. It has a very sweet aroma with some kind of raisny smell that reminds me of a Belgian dubbel. As I take a final whiff after a generous swirl I'm picking up something peppery or spicy on the back.

Taste:

OK, this is really strange. Upon my first sip it was almost sensory overload of kinda bad but kinda good. It has a really watery start with some honey that passes real quick then finishes with some lingering spice that I cant quite put my finger on, but from reading the label I'm guessing it's probably the heather or the guarana because now that I think about it, it is giving me a slight energy drink taste. So far I am not impressed by this beer, in fact I am only half way through my glass and dreading the fact that this came in a 22oz bottle. As I let it warm up a little bit more the spice and unfamiliar flavors start to come front even more. I think I can taste more of the kola nut which is rather bitter , almost like sucking on a tea bag or something in that nature. I did a little research on the kola nut and I found out that it contains a significant amount of caffeine in it and usually has a evergreen taste to it. (I can agree with that since its kind of gin tasting).

Overall, Glad I tried it but I probally will never reach for it again. (2,077 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance - dark amberish, orange tint. resembled an IPA possbily. low head retnetion

Aroma - did not smell much, sublte honey

Taste - a taste of grain sweetness at the front with an uncomfortable metal taste. I did not pick up anyhting other than some honey. Finishes dry, a touch of sweetness.

Mouthfeel - fairly crisp, about medium body

Drinkability - disappointing (374 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a spicy looking brownish orange. Looks 'rich.' The head is slightly offwhite and fleeting.

Malt forward in the nose with both a spicy and sweet scent. Very slightly floral.

There is an herb/spice taste, though I can't quite distinguish them so I'll stick with what the bottle says...poppy seed and guarana. Almost has a pale ale taste, but not quite.

There's an earthiness to this drink, a bitterness that's slightly unusual. It's light bodied and has a slightly loose feel. Lacks any of the sweetness of the nose and focuses mostly on the bitter. Alcohol is there, but very well hidden

A strange beer, it doesn't really work for me. It's unusal, so I'm happy to have it checked off my to-do list, but not something I'll likely have again. (750 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Glass: nonic

Hazy dark orange body, certainly unfiltered. Nice rich and thick 1 finger head, full splashy lacing.

Seems like an amber ale base on the aroma. Nice light toasted malts with very aromatic notes of rose, orange, grape, mint and alcohol.

Substantially more bitter than i expected but rightfully so, this beer is pretty darn sweet. Its got a thick and almost syrupy body that quickly becomes a bit much. The amber ale base makes it's way into the flavor profile, lightly toasted malts, some candy-like sweetness but the redeeming quality seems to be the guarana and poppy seed that gives it an interesting herbal quality.

Not exactly my go-to beer. Its too sweet and as i drank further, the bitterness was completely overtaken by a cloying sweetness. I'll pass on Dogma next year. (794 characters)

Dogma from BrewDog