Dogma - BrewDog

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.80% ABV

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 03-04-2009)
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Tried a bottle at UC's international beer tasting.

Pours a cloudy amber color with no head at all. The smell is odd. According to the bottle it is made with guarana, kola nuts, honey, poppies, and other spices. I could have been picking up any of these, the smell was just odd. The initial taste reminds me of an APA. Lots of hops up front with a huge honey aftertaste. There is almost no discernable alcohol taste which is an accomplishment at 7.8%. Too much honey for my taste and probably wouldn't get it again. Still, its my first brewdog and I'm glad to have tried it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a healthy sized head. Color is a rich amber.

My my my, this really does come off as a sweeter beer, with a lot of honey character coming right out at you. Usually, beers that have honey added to them have so much of the original ingredient metabolized away that you'd doubt it was ever there to begin with. This, on the other hand, is quite different.

First sip is yum, not only because I'm a sucker for honey, but because it's got a nice hop bitterness to it that keeps this from turning into a mead. Spices bring it together to make a very satisfying beer. And I'm pretty sure that the guarana is giving me a little caffeine buzz.

My first beer by BrewDog, this one goes down as one of the best so far.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

660 ml bottle from batch 159, best before 29-06-11.

A creamy, thick head develops when poured, with a rush of pent-up carbonation that continues to feed the foam as the head settles to a thick carpet of mottled complexion. It leaves respectable trails of lacing stuck to the sides of the brandy snifter as the hazy red-brown brew descends from consumption.

The light smell of tart cherries mixes with citrus notes and some yeast in the aroma.

Woody bitterness is the first impression of flavor, followed by some roasted walnut or chestnut, massaged and slightly mellowed by a good dose of hops and the creamy carbonation, which helps escort the bitterness through the palate. One is left with a curious dryness, akin to sucking on an apricot pit.

An interesting experiment in high energy beer, but not an overwhelming success, at least to my palate.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

2.55/5  rDev -29%

A- Hazy orange amber color. decent retention, with some lacing.

S- A mess of spices and yeast characteristics.

T- Bitter and unbalanced. Too many spices jumbled together at once.

M- decent med body, kinda thin on the backend.

O- not my cup of tea

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

appearance isn't what i'd like to see from a scottish spruce ale...too carbonated but the nice full white head

the appearance is what i like to see from this type of ale....although i don't think there is a particular color associated with spruce ales...

smell is incredible a wild herbal scent...the spruce is light yet noticeable....i think the poppys come up very well...the honey is also present

the taste is a little medicinal...but not from it being spoiled...it may be coming from the kola nut or poppys

the feel is nice a little thick but not as thick as it pours

overall this is an ok or nice take on a Scottish spruce ale

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured into a 16 oz goblet.

Deep orange copper with a two inch frothy white head that dissapates to a 1/2 inch frothy wisp.

Smells of caramel malts, cola syrup and fresh wet grass and earth; Amarillo hop. Very inviting.

Taste is surprisingly well blended malts and hops; earthy with a slight oily mouthfeel. I can detect the guarana which is similar to a coffee bean without the acidity goes quite well with the Amarillo hop profile. There is a wonderful lingering aftertaste unlike anything I have ever enjoyed. I really enjoy the complexity of this brew; the 7.8% ABV is undetectable. As it warms I can detect even more eqarthy spice. Not overwhelming spice character. It is very subtle. The guarana, Kola nut and poppy seed are all stimulants much like coffee. These ingredients are often found in energy drinks. As funny as it sounds I feel a bit energized after quaffing down my first bottle of this stuff. I wish I had another bottle to sample!
THis was very drinkable. Uniqueue and enjoyable I would recommend sharing a bottle with someone who also enjoys a creative craft brew. Loved it!Will buy more.

Cheers!

Rich orange color with an off-white head. Head retention, not great, but decent lacing.
Smell is sweet and fruity
Taste is spicy with a bit of pepper. Good finish with a hint of hops at the end.
mouth feel is medium, with a bit of creaminess.
A drinkable beer at any time of the year

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

BrewDog talks a lot and has a great imagination when it come to brewing different styles. A vibrant golden amber with a pretty good head. All the ingredients that went onto this and not one of them stand out. They blend together well though. The taste is similar but at the same time has lots if character. Tastes like an IPA with funky, tasty profiles. Medium body with a full flavor. As it warms in the glass, flavors expand and grow into their own. The honey is a bit more noticeable.
I have had other BrewDog beers and most are decent. This is comparable. Worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo NY.

A - clear honey brown...no foam.

S - not much smell...something of a weakly fragrant IPA. upon warming, some hemp-like qualities. people walking into the room kept asking "what is that smell" I'd reply "does it smell like marijuana?" they'd say "yes" I'd say "it's this beer"

T - bitter, yet sweet. i don't know what kola nuts taste like, but this tastes a bit like marijuana to me. not that i've eaten it before.

M - fair, not notable mouthfeel.

D - ABV not detectable, so drinkability is OK

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Dogma...Wow. What can I say. Honey, kola nut, guarana, and poppy seed. Quite an adventurous brew.

Pours out as a nice amber red color. Pretty.
Head is about half and inch and last a decent amount of time before fading to a nice lacing.

Smells of caramel and...pepper? Not much there. Very faint.

Now here we go! Lets give it a whirl!

Mouth feel is OK. Not bad. Nothing special. About what I would expect.

Taste is very unique...Obviously. I can tell the honey and guarana are there, but you really have to look for them. No Idea what kola nut tastes like. Every flavor you can pick out up front is quickly overpower by the poppy seed. The poppy lasts a loooong time. Finishes with a decent bitterness.

Very different.
Very interesting.
Wouldn't drink it every time I hit the pub, but it's one I would ave here and there.
It's one I would recommend.
Put it one your bucketlist or whatever.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

A - Pours a translucent amber with a white head. Doesn't appear to be many carbonation bubbles.

S- Smells very strongly of sweet honey. Some undertones of spice are there too. A really nice aroma.

T- Sweet, flavorful honey gives way to a very spicy and fairly complex finish. I really enjoyed the progression from sweet to spiciness.

M - Low carbonation level and low to medium bodied. Smooth and silky.

D - A flavorful and smooth brew makes for a very drinkable beer experience. A nice session beer.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

From Notes

Well I am not an expert of spiced beers, so I will try my best with this review. I thought this beer was interesting to say the least. It has a lot going on flavor wise and I am not sure that all these flavors should be contained in the same bottle. The beer was different and unique, and I would drink it again with some friends, but I could not do another bomber alone. I will try this one again down the road and see if things have changed.

Dogma from BrewDog