Dogma - BrewDog

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.80% ABV

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 03-04-2009)
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 5-6-10. Thanks to hophead101 for sharing this one.

A - Pours a rusty orange brown with no bubbles at all, almost flat, hard pour releases 1/4 inch of foam that faded fast

S - Lots of thick honey with some hops, sort of a nutty or wood, brown sugar, very heavy aroma

T - Alot lighter than expected, some brown sugar, lemon, light malts and faint hops

M - smooth & lightly carbed, sort of spicy mouthfeel

D - ok flavor, nothing amazing, its ok to drink, but I don't think I will search this one out again.

mikereaser, May 20, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a nice amber orange color with a medium sized and medium bodied off-white colored head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of my favorite Jeopardy category, "Potpourri" really. It has a mix of a lot of different aromas at once, there's a distinct spiciness to it - the kola nut, poppy seed, and guarana probably have something to do with this. It does have an underlying sweet smell from the honey though.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts and honey mixed with a whole mess of spices that are really interesting more than anything. The poppy seed is detectable by my palate but I don't think I could detect the other ones used in the brewing process.
M: Very smooth, full bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, and certainly full flavored.
D: Pretty drinkable, the spices which I described as potpourri made it a little less drinkable than I was hoping but still pretty good.

erosier, May 20, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Nice golden brown hue, with an ever so slight lace on the edge.

Smell: Very sweet smelling...must be the honey coming thru. Does have a high cola scent that hits at the very end.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This one is bold. Thought for sure, by way of the smell, that this was going to be all sweet., but no way! Starts off smooth and slightly sweet with the honey and cola taste, but then it leads up to a "gritty" and "bold" ending, with a slight bit of the guarana seeping in. I would say that sweet and spicy pretty much sum up this very interesting beer. Nice!

Drinkability: This is not for everyone, but if your a bit adventurous, then it just might be something you might like to try. The combination idea is great and the execution was commendable. Nice one, my Brewdog!

July2Nov, May 12, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a crystal clear dark amber color with reddish orange hues and a huge bubbly/sticky head that slowly recedes but paints my glass white. Smell is herbal bordering on medicinal with hints of patchouli and pepper. Sweet caramel malts, a touch of corn, hints of dark fruit round out the aroma. Taste is dry and spicy. Starts off peppery followed by some darker fruits and honey. Lingering herbal, menthol taste in the finish. Medium to high level of carbonation, medium body, sticky herbal mouthfeel. This one just didn't agree with me. I love the way Brewdog likes to push boundaries and try new things, but I disliked the herbal medicinal character of this one. One and done for me.

johnnnniee, May 08, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

16.9 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: A mix between amber and copper, with a raucous off-white head that bubbles all over the place, then dissipates, then leaves thick and thin ringlets all over the glass.

Smell: There's an initial charred grain and earthy presence with some bright sweetness of tropical fruit peaking through, and I think as it warms I can detect some of the poppy seed, but I don't know what kola nut is. That said, some nice and complex sweetness comes through, but nothing seems to be nuanced as much as I'd like, and it seems like there may be too many ingredients in the mix for something harmonious to really take place here.

Taste: What I like here is the balance between sweetness and an earthy hop and grain presence, as it doesn't really go too far to either side. That said, I have a hard time distinguishing what's going on here, except for the presence of honey, which thankfully isn't too terribly sweet, but is definitely noticeable. Some mild fruit ester sweetness and big charred grain flavors at the end, though I'm not sure what this is from. Lingering earthy grains with mild fruit.

Mouthfeel: I'm not sure what's going on here; it may be too many ingredients, or too much honey possible, but it's definitely a little oily and heavy-bodied, because not enough carbonation comes through to balance the slightly syrupy nature of the brew.

Drinkability: This beer is certainly an experiment, and for the relatively cheap price tag -- considering how high the prices are for some of the BrewDog catalog -- I'm glad I picked up a bottle. I got to try, whether in a beer or not, something I've never had, which is always pretty cool. I wouldn't purchase it again, but I did enjoy my time with it.

asabreed, May 07, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 660mL bottle into a pint glass. Best before date is 3/3/2010, but I'm drinking it anyway.

Appearance: hazy body with a tawny hue and a thin finger of compact white foam. Looks like it could be OK.

Smell: a pungent aroma; almost like an aftershave. It's very heady, like walking through a field of wildflowers in the height of summer. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the individual spices used in brewing, but it's definitely an interesting mix. Points for uniqueness.

Taste: pretty much exactly like it smells, but with a thick syrup of caramel malt as a substrate. It is an interesting flavor; it reminds me of heather-flavored gruits. It's something I'm glad I've had, but I don't see myself drinking much more of it.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a good carbonation. It's not precisely creamy, but it is rather silky. This is pretty good, without qualification.

Drinkability: this is simply a challenging beer to like. As I said, I doubt I'll seek this out again in the future but I'm glad to have tried it once.

flagmantho, May 07, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

This one looks great, a deep and bright rusty amber with a glow, nice bubbles, and a massive, 2" high, a tan, thick-froth head, sticks around in impressive fashion, lots of lace and a solid cover of thick foam at all time's. Healthy.

The aroma has a sharp black pepper, earthy aroma with some metallic heat and soft, English-style maltiness. right on. i like a very herbal, spicey aroma in a beer, very belgian-like yeastieness.

The flavor is really unique and interesting to say the least, sharp, crispy black pepper-like yeastieness, light to medium, ultra crisp feel, very nice. English malt, bready with mellow heather honey in the backdrop. good balance, even with all the crazy herbs added, it builds complexity in flavor in this case. kola nut could possibly be that nutty, English-malt effect I'm getting, poppy seeds adds a drying effect in the feel and a dry, earthy flavor and I have no idea how the guarana is effecting the flavor but with any luck I might get a slight speedy buzz too!! The heat is pretty mellow but really adds some nice depth.

I'm really enjoying this puppy!! I'm also really 'into' crispy, simple beers right now so this one hits the spot and is a bit unique.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 01, 2010

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of honey and hops with sweet malt backing it up

T - Pretty good and different I like how the hop work with the sweet malt

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is one of the good beers from BrewDog for a brewery thats hit and miss to me this was a hit a very enjoyable beer to me thats worth picking up to try

armock, Apr 23, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

22oz bomber, $6.49 from the Lebanon Co-Op Food Store. Batch --4, Best before 23/02/11. Served chilled in a standard pint glass. Ingredients: barley, hops, yeast, water, honey, kola nut, poppy seed, guarana.

Clear reddish-orange brew. A rigorous pour gives 2" of rocky tan head that settles slowly and leaves thick lacing. Highly aromatic. Nose is spicy, hoppy, herbaceous, sweet all at the same time, pretty complicated... caramel, pineapple, cinnamon, biscuit, green raisin, berries, teak, leather, green apple, honey. Taste is much hoppier than anticipated, good tanniny mixed hop bite, and not as complicated as the smell. Strong bergamot and grass hops on a moderate malt background. Medium bodied, slick, with a bit too much carbonation. Finish is extremely long... lingering bergamot, resin, cola, and a slight EtOH burn. Hops come to dominate the nose as it breathes. Head never settles to less than 1/2" and generates continuous lace.

---

Sampled another bottle from the same batch on Sep 25 2010, so this one's 5 months older. Just as good but in general everything is predictably more rounded and mature. The smell is much less complex (the individual notes are less distinct) and the taste has a bunch of cola. Tropicals are mostly gone and hops are significantly muted/ mellowed to a nondescript bitterness.

BeerNinja007, Apr 22, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Pretty clear slightly reddish amber color with a quickly vanishing off-white head out of a 660mL bottle. Has a nutty honey and caramel aroma. Definitely a new taste experience. I can't really pick out distinct flavors, but it's sweet up front and then has a tart citric jolt. There's the slightest hint of piney hops and some sweet toffee, but other than that it's spices that I can't really place. Pretty smooth and kinda light on the carbonation. This type of beer really doesn't suit me, but I'm glad I tried it and I applaud Brewdog for doing something different.

alkemy, Apr 17, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a pretty neat beer. I have to say, it has got some original flavors and aromas.

A lot of honey jumps out in the nose, red fruits, and sort of a cracked pepper seediness. Not the best smelling beer, but it's still fun to roam around in there.

The taste brings more of a wildflower character up front, herbs, honey, cherry, and it's slightly nutty in the fade well after the swallow.

I would enjoy this more if the body just had a little more heft, it is a little on the light side. The carbonation is on the lower end of the spectrum, but it seems to fit.

This is a fun beer that I would recommend sharing with a friend or two and having fun picking out the unusual notes.

brownbeer, Apr 14, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

A: amber. Chestnut reddish is a decent way to describe the color. Thin, subsiding head.

S: hoppy, honey and smell some strawberry

T: Def taste the honey at the start and transitions into the hoppy notes.

M: A bit thin on the mouth, very light carbonation.

D: It doesn't taste 7.8%. Def a nice beer, first brewdog beer, though its not one of the more popular beers they offer that I have heard of, I wanted to try it. Lots of nice flavors here. Probably wont be buying again right away, but it was a nice beer. Left me satisfied.

jslern, Apr 09, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A: a nice orange/amber color with a thin off white colored head. The bubble are moving slowly through the beer.

S: A strong honey, grain and noble hop aroma coming off of the beer. There is a floral sweetness to the smell that is really nice.

T: The initial taste is very sweet with honey and malt. The flavor then transitions into the fresh grassy and herbal hop which slightly takes the sweetness out of the beer. There is also a bitterness and sort of a toasty, maybe nutty, flavor.

M: An average feel. To me it might be a little watery, which is strange considering the beer looks thick.

D: It's a better than average beer. I'm not sure if I can taste all of the other additives in there, just mainly the honey, malt and hop and no real alcohol presence considering its 7.8%. Worth a try....

Kromes, Apr 01, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

Red to orange pour. Very little head. Nice lacing, but thin.

Definitely picking up the spices in the nose. Weak citrus, but lots of poppy. Interesting, but not very beery.

Thin, watery hit. Takes well into the finish before the hops kick in. Even then, weak and more the essence of hops than the true flavor.

Feel is much thinner than desired.

Ok, but nothing to get terribly excited about.

beer2day, Mar 29, 2010

I poured this average beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. the beer was a amber color like a bock. The beer had a fair head at first but then soon dissipated into oblivion. It did leave fair lacing however whoop di doo. The smell was a little hoppy and so was the taste. The beer was watery though and just nothing to really get excited about. I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Mar 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Clear, deep copper color with off-white head that settles quickly. Nice lace.

Sweet bready malt in the aroma. Interesting spice and herbal notes. Reminds me a bit of a pumpkin ale. Faint hazelnut.

Excellent flavors, controlled spice- poppyseed is evident. slight hoppy dryness on finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with nice carbonation.

An interesting, flavorful brew. Would buy again.

endincolorado, Mar 24, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mid sized bottle, with best before dating on the label. Pours typical amber, lightly hazed/cloudy, loose and minor lite tan head, leaves adequate low sheeting and heavy handed lace. Mild malt nose with perhaps a hint of fruit. Malt here outweighed with heavy handed hops, I'm not able to pick out any of the strange fruit/spice/whatever is in this beer, sort of mushy in the midsection, not my cup of tea, highly doubt I'd go for this one again real soon...

Billolick, Mar 19, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured an amber brownish red into my DFH Signature glass. Soapy head with sparing strands of lace. The head, even though its not the heartiest, does stick around for the entire beer (not sure if the beer or the amazing glass is to thank for that).

Smell is very pleasant; honey, spices, and a little kiss of hop. The honey is such a smooth, warming scent.

Taste is of green herb and other spices that catch you off guard. The honey definitely hits the palate in a good way. Almost feels like it covers your tongue. I wanna say that I can taste the poppy seed's bitter, toasty spice come through in the back of the mouth, but at the same time don't think I would have suggested so if I had not read the bottle, haha. But wow! You definitely get that green herb sensation when you breathe out after a gulp.

Mouthfeel is bubbly and almost spicy. This beer definitely leaves my mouth differently than it found it. There's some real aftershock of spice and honey.

Drinkability-- considering the alcohol content and ambitiously unique blend of unorthodox ingredients-- is surprisingly inviting. I'm tackling this bomber by my lonesome and will certainly be sad to see it leave. Oh well... plenty of beer in the fridge.

ClassicBrad, Mar 19, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass a cloudy hazed burnt orange with a minimal head that left shotty lace as it settled quickly.Aromas are mainly of caramel malt,a faint herbal hop not shows through after awhile.Like others have noted to me its like an English bitter anod or an English Pale,its malt driven with big caramel and biscuit notes,finishes with a bit of green herbal hop.The poppy seed,guarana,and kola nut cant really be found,at least not on my palate.Its very easy to drink,and the alcohol is very well hidden.Not bad,but also nothing to search high and low for either.

oberon, Mar 18, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap at the other side, boston into tulip glass. Deep copper reddish color with small white head and visible carbonation bubbling up. Mainly floral smell with hints of pleasant mustiness. Nicely complex taste with floral tones, brewed tea, slight alcohol. Overall thin feel. Kind of tastes like an alcoholic fruity floral iced tea, in a good way. More than pleased to have one but not more.

EtOHMD, Mar 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Had on tap tonight (3/10/10) at ChurchKey in DC.

a - Pours a dark amber color. Inch of white head, no carbonation evident.

s - Smells of some honey and spices. Also getting a little bit of what smells like soap to me.

t - Tastes of honey, nuts, and some spice. The nut taste is nice, but interesting mix.

m - Medium body with no carbonation.

d - Wasn't the biggest fan of this one. The smell was a little weird to me, and althought the nutty taste was nice, the honey/nut/spice combo was a mix I wasn't a huge fan of. I wouldn't really look to try this one again.

mdfb79, Mar 11, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: A brownish-orange body capped by a little less than a finger of off-white head that fades quickly and leaves only the patchiest of lacing.

Aroma: A sweet malt body accompanied by nutty, spicy, and floral notes. As bizarre as it sounds, I have to say I'm reminded a little of antiques here.

Flavor: At first it seems a bit muddled, but as you study it various elements announce themselves one by one. It's a mix of fruity, nutty, mildly metallic, herbal, musty, and floral notes over mildly bitter hops and a nondescript sweet malt body. I get a few hints of the heather honey, and it adds another layer to an already complex profile. The flavors all mix together and produce something that is balanced and sort of a mish-mash (in a good way). The alcohol is hidden well, only making a lightly spicy appearance from time to time. Biscuity malt, dark fruit, lingering bitterness, and some mild notes of honey in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A lightly creamy medium body with medium carbonation. Dries nicely in the finish.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, especially considering the medium-high alcohol content.

Verdict: Well, this is certainly a different beer, and I have to say it's intriguing to me--it's complex, yet simple at the same time. BrewDog seem to march to a totally different drummer, and this time I've found a lot to like.

BeanBone, Mar 07, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Peach colored pour. There are some bubbles here and there, but no real head.

Sweet aroma. The honey is the only one of the listed ingredients I immediately identify, largely because I can't recall ever smelling or tasting any of the others. There's some spice in there that I guess would be the poppy seeds?

Flavor is sweet, fruity, and herbal. Someone else described it as having a pot-like flavor, which I guess I could see. Lots of honey and caramel.

Medium bodied with light carbonation. A different beer, for sure. Like HaandBryggeriet Wild Thing, I would definitely share this rather than try to take on the entire bottle.

Gyle41386, Mar 04, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance:

Again tonight I reached for another workhorse in my glassware collection my Unibroue Belgian tulip glass. As I popped the cap on this beer I did not get much of the typical hissing noise. I tilted my glass and poured slowly and soon realized that I was not getting much of a head so I leaned the glass back and poured straight on. When all and all was done I ended up with a very thin bone white head that hung around for quite some time. The color that I am getting is almost a dark gold/ light toasty brown color. (Almost like orange blossom honey) With a hazy undertone this beer still is letting some light pass through and as I give a nice swirl I am seeing a medium amount of lacing slide down the glass wall.

Smell:

Right off the start it smells like a fresh jar of honey, almost mead like. It has a very sweet aroma with some kind of raisny smell that reminds me of a Belgian dubbel. As I take a final whiff after a generous swirl I'm picking up something peppery or spicy on the back.

Taste:

OK, this is really strange. Upon my first sip it was almost sensory overload of kinda bad but kinda good. It has a really watery start with some honey that passes real quick then finishes with some lingering spice that I cant quite put my finger on, but from reading the label I'm guessing it's probably the heather or the guarana because now that I think about it, it is giving me a slight energy drink taste. So far I am not impressed by this beer, in fact I am only half way through my glass and dreading the fact that this came in a 22oz bottle. As I let it warm up a little bit more the spice and unfamiliar flavors start to come front even more. I think I can taste more of the kola nut which is rather bitter , almost like sucking on a tea bag or something in that nature. I did a little research on the kola nut and I found out that it contains a significant amount of caffeine in it and usually has a evergreen taste to it. (I can agree with that since its kind of gin tasting).

Overall, Glad I tried it but I probally will never reach for it again.

Bmoyer0301, Mar 04, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

A: copper in color, no head at all. slightly hazy.

S: honey, caramel, hops, and malt

T: upfront is almost like a scottish ale but then you get this rush of exotic flavors. Not sure what a guarana is but i'm thinking that is what is lending the tropical fruit flavors to this beer. Great balance of hop bitterness and sweetness. get a little bit of lingering astringency possibly from roasted grains.

MF: fairly light to moderate mouthfeel.

D: a fun to try beer but not a session beer by any means. For the gravity it is very smooth, I don't get any alcohol warmth.

rmolledo, Mar 04, 2010