Dogma - BrewDog

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.80% ABV

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 03-04-2009)
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a healthy sized head. Color is a rich amber.

My my my, this really does come off as a sweeter beer, with a lot of honey character coming right out at you. Usually, beers that have honey added to them have so much of the original ingredient metabolized away that you'd doubt it was ever there to begin with. This, on the other hand, is quite different.

First sip is yum, not only because I'm a sucker for honey, but because it's got a nice hop bitterness to it that keeps this from turning into a mead. Spices bring it together to make a very satisfying beer. And I'm pretty sure that the guarana is giving me a little caffeine buzz.

My first beer by BrewDog, this one goes down as one of the best so far.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brew Dog Dogma 7.8% alcohol poured from 22.4oz bomber batch 99.

A- Pours a dark amber colored fluid with orange glowing rims of the glass in light. Patchy lacing sticks to the glass with light vigor.

S- Sweet honey and spice upfront. Guarana and slightly grassy hops are noticeable in the nose.

T-M- Taste is one of a kind but in a way that is a very strange experimental brew flavor. Upfront thick grassy and Guarana dominate with a estery alcohol heat. Second is a dark malty backbone. Finishes lighty carbonated and wet on the tongue.

D- It's a decent mixture of strange stuff that makes this a good taster not long-term drinker.

Sampled on 7-1-10
Batch 099
Best before 12-16-10

Pours a cloudy red/orange color with almost no head, no matter how hard you try. Lacing is a thin ring around the edge.

Smell is extremely herbal, notes of honey and brown sugar. Subtle but sweet, complex quite enjoyable.

Taste is just like the smell, lots of herbal flavors followed by sharp hops. Very earthy, almost peaty, with a fruity finish and lemon hops. Very complex and original.

Mouthfeel is thick but almost completely flat, and somehow suits the herbal flavors.

Drinkability is surprisingly good, the odd flavors form a nice combination and go down smooth.

Overall, different and definitely worth trying.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a fairly clear amber orange color with a small bubbly light tan head. Head falls to nothing, not much lace. I've had 2 Brew Dog's now and have had a hard time getting a head out of either of them.

Spicy hop aroma with a malt background. Bit of musty grass and flowers.

Taste starts with the hops and flavors of spice and heather. Malt come in next with a nice robust nut flavor and a nice sweetness. Ends with a mild hop bitterness.

Medium bodied and rather smooth in the mouth. Slight bite.

Pleasant, easy drinking brew.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

I've been curious of Brew Dog ever sicne I've enjoyed Paradox on tap. I figured I'd try the Dogma.

A- Very amber with a reasonable white foamy head.

S- I can smell honey and something that smells like... bread?! I'm guessing the poppy seed has alot to do with that.

T- Tasty. Surprisingly hoppy, very sweet. An odd beer to get a handle on.

M- Moderate carbonation, slight raspiness from the hops.

D- I had a couple glasses and was done. I think it would be better with food than to kcik back a few.

Overall it isn't bad at all, but I think I like other Brew Dog beers over Dogma.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 22.4 oz bottle into a pint glass. Had it a nice warm temp (50 degrees) to ensure that all of the taste opened up.

Pours a honey orange with a white sticky head that almost has a merangue quality to it. As the head dies down, it laces down the sides. This one looks sweet even before I've had a sip or a sniff!

Smells of hops, honey and spice, like corriander or cardamon, with notes of flowers. Very interesting smelling, unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

Has a sweet honey malt taste with definite orange and cane sugar notes. I also detect bit of rosewater underneath. There's a very slight bitterness that rounds it out, that remains like an echo on the tongue.

Very smooth, very drinkable beer, though also very sweet. I could certainly have one bottle by myself; after that, it may be sweet overload.

A very unique beer that I recommend you try. Tastes like something that DFH would have brewed.

Rich orange color with an off-white head. Head retention, not great, but decent lacing.
Smell is sweet and fruity
Taste is spicy with a bit of pepper. Good finish with a hint of hops at the end.
mouth feel is medium, with a bit of creaminess.
A drinkable beer at any time of the year

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dogma is the second beer I've had the pleasure of trying from Brewdog and I definitely have to say it was a pleasurable experience over all.... Very Unique.

Poured a nice rich reddish amber tone. Not too crazy of a head but some nice light lacing.

The spicy aromas definitely play a major part... The kola nut combined with the guarana and poppy give the beer very rich peppery notes....

The aroma continues throughout the taste. Nice smooth spiciness, almost feels like a little ginger taste is in there too...

The mouthfeel is good. very smooth and has its own complex feel to it.

I really drinkable beer, though I'm not sure what sort of effects the Guarana might have if I were to drink it in excess

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

- Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppyseed and guarana. Batch 196. BB 03/03/10. Consumed 6/08/10.

A: Poured a ice-tea color with rustic orange tones. The head was flat, fizzy, and sandstone in color. Isolated instances of carbonation rise at a moderate pace. Despite the pancake sized head, it seemingly paved the way and managed to create a respectable thin film coating that covered much of the glass.

S: Heather honey and oranges are most dominant sweetening the nose from the start. Buttermilk and a fresh bagel breadiness is also evident (which may have been contributed by the poppy seeds). Things conclude with some honey nut bread.

T: Sweet creamy oranges and honey gets things off to a rather sweet and sugary start. The flavor transcends to sweet grains, pancakes and French toast with dried maple syrup, toasted grains, and some sweet and tart oranges. There was a proper amount of alcohol warmth with some spicy alcohol notes of cinnamon rounding things out. I didn't pick up on the contributions of poppy seeds flavor wise as well the guarana which I was unsure of as well. Overall the flavor was decent, nothing great, but ultimately a bit sweet.

M: Medium body with a watered down honey consistency with a bit of creaminess. A bit heavy on the tongue but ultimately lazy from the lack of effervesce. Brings a bit of tart orange alcohol warmth to the table upon the swallow.

D: Think the overbearing sweetness of the drink makes this a hard one to handle by ones self bomber wise. Best shared with a friend or friends.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Dogma arrives at my table reddish medium amber with a creamy white head that leaves sticky lace. The aroma is very different and very nice. Peppery fruit, sweet honey and an enticing mixture of spices and herbs. I am intrigued. The flavors in this beer are all very different, but seem to blend well. Malt and mead like sweetness blends with pepper, pear, green apple, floral notes and some spice. This beer is dry overall, and I think that helps a lot. Generally spiced beers like this I can take or leave, this one is definitely one to take. The body is medium and surprisingly smooth with a nice clean finish. Quite drinkable and unexpectedly, one of the better Brewdog beers I have had so far.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Beer is yellow and clear with a thin white head with small bubbles.

Sweet mild aroma. Kind of fruit.

Beer is thin in the body, very complicated flavors. The description with kola nuts, tropical fruits, very gruit ale like. Not really my style but this one was quite interesting. No aftertaste, does not finish dry. I probably wouldn't drink it again but I would recommend it to the right person.

Appearance: From a 22 ounce bomber is a dark copper color with a frothy and thick off white head that is a little chunky. The head rentention is very good.

Aroma: A little bit of dryness in the nose. A nice amount of floral hop. A little bit of clove, cinnamon. Mild banana chips. From the malt side releases a little bit of sweetness.

Taste: Quite a smooth mouthfeel. A little bit of carob and black licorice. A floral hop dryness which only adds to the tasty flavor. A pleasant hint of clove wtih a buttery finish with hints of hop oil.

Notes: This is my first offering from this brewery it is definately a very good start. Picking up more is something I must do. Cheers.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a rich copper with an off-white head that dies to a film, leaving some light lace behind. Floral, slightly spicy nose, with some caramel and honey in the background.

Tastes like an ESB with a bit of a spicy kick (which it may well be). Certainly a nice floral hop bite upfront, with a biscuity malt middle, and caramel and spicing becoming evident in the finish. It had that same mix of caramel and spice that I found beguiling in Southern Tier's discontinued Cherry Saison. Perhaps the spice could have been more evident given that this was the intended focus of the beer, but I thought it worked well. Medium body and carbonation rounds things off.

Of the Brewdog beers I've had so far, I think this is one of the better ones, and I'd be tempted to call it sessionable, but at this ABV you'd be stupid, and stupid-drunk in no time. Definitely a pleasant beer, and worth buying.

Thanks to Jeremy and Karen for sharing.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 5-6-10. Thanks to hophead101 for sharing this one.

A - Pours a rusty orange brown with no bubbles at all, almost flat, hard pour releases 1/4 inch of foam that faded fast

S - Lots of thick honey with some hops, sort of a nutty or wood, brown sugar, very heavy aroma

T - Alot lighter than expected, some brown sugar, lemon, light malts and faint hops

M - smooth & lightly carbed, sort of spicy mouthfeel

D - ok flavor, nothing amazing, its ok to drink, but I don't think I will search this one out again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours a nice amber orange color with a medium sized and medium bodied off-white colored head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of my favorite Jeopardy category, "Potpourri" really. It has a mix of a lot of different aromas at once, there's a distinct spiciness to it - the kola nut, poppy seed, and guarana probably have something to do with this. It does have an underlying sweet smell from the honey though.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts and honey mixed with a whole mess of spices that are really interesting more than anything. The poppy seed is detectable by my palate but I don't think I could detect the other ones used in the brewing process.
M: Very smooth, full bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, and certainly full flavored.
D: Pretty drinkable, the spices which I described as potpourri made it a little less drinkable than I was hoping but still pretty good.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Nice golden brown hue, with an ever so slight lace on the edge.

Smell: Very sweet smelling...must be the honey coming thru. Does have a high cola scent that hits at the very end.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This one is bold. Thought for sure, by way of the smell, that this was going to be all sweet., but no way! Starts off smooth and slightly sweet with the honey and cola taste, but then it leads up to a "gritty" and "bold" ending, with a slight bit of the guarana seeping in. I would say that sweet and spicy pretty much sum up this very interesting beer. Nice!

Drinkability: This is not for everyone, but if your a bit adventurous, then it just might be something you might like to try. The combination idea is great and the execution was commendable. Nice one, my Brewdog!

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a crystal clear dark amber color with reddish orange hues and a huge bubbly/sticky head that slowly recedes but paints my glass white. Smell is herbal bordering on medicinal with hints of patchouli and pepper. Sweet caramel malts, a touch of corn, hints of dark fruit round out the aroma. Taste is dry and spicy. Starts off peppery followed by some darker fruits and honey. Lingering herbal, menthol taste in the finish. Medium to high level of carbonation, medium body, sticky herbal mouthfeel. This one just didn't agree with me. I love the way Brewdog likes to push boundaries and try new things, but I disliked the herbal medicinal character of this one. One and done for me.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

16.9 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: A mix between amber and copper, with a raucous off-white head that bubbles all over the place, then dissipates, then leaves thick and thin ringlets all over the glass.

Smell: There's an initial charred grain and earthy presence with some bright sweetness of tropical fruit peaking through, and I think as it warms I can detect some of the poppy seed, but I don't know what kola nut is. That said, some nice and complex sweetness comes through, but nothing seems to be nuanced as much as I'd like, and it seems like there may be too many ingredients in the mix for something harmonious to really take place here.

Taste: What I like here is the balance between sweetness and an earthy hop and grain presence, as it doesn't really go too far to either side. That said, I have a hard time distinguishing what's going on here, except for the presence of honey, which thankfully isn't too terribly sweet, but is definitely noticeable. Some mild fruit ester sweetness and big charred grain flavors at the end, though I'm not sure what this is from. Lingering earthy grains with mild fruit.

Mouthfeel: I'm not sure what's going on here; it may be too many ingredients, or too much honey possible, but it's definitely a little oily and heavy-bodied, because not enough carbonation comes through to balance the slightly syrupy nature of the brew.

Drinkability: This beer is certainly an experiment, and for the relatively cheap price tag -- considering how high the prices are for some of the BrewDog catalog -- I'm glad I picked up a bottle. I got to try, whether in a beer or not, something I've never had, which is always pretty cool. I wouldn't purchase it again, but I did enjoy my time with it.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 660mL bottle into a pint glass. Best before date is 3/3/2010, but I'm drinking it anyway.

Appearance: hazy body with a tawny hue and a thin finger of compact white foam. Looks like it could be OK.

Smell: a pungent aroma; almost like an aftershave. It's very heady, like walking through a field of wildflowers in the height of summer. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the individual spices used in brewing, but it's definitely an interesting mix. Points for uniqueness.

Taste: pretty much exactly like it smells, but with a thick syrup of caramel malt as a substrate. It is an interesting flavor; it reminds me of heather-flavored gruits. It's something I'm glad I've had, but I don't see myself drinking much more of it.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a good carbonation. It's not precisely creamy, but it is rather silky. This is pretty good, without qualification.

Drinkability: this is simply a challenging beer to like. As I said, I doubt I'll seek this out again in the future but I'm glad to have tried it once.

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

This one looks great, a deep and bright rusty amber with a glow, nice bubbles, and a massive, 2" high, a tan, thick-froth head, sticks around in impressive fashion, lots of lace and a solid cover of thick foam at all time's. Healthy.

The aroma has a sharp black pepper, earthy aroma with some metallic heat and soft, English-style maltiness. right on. i like a very herbal, spicey aroma in a beer, very belgian-like yeastieness.

The flavor is really unique and interesting to say the least, sharp, crispy black pepper-like yeastieness, light to medium, ultra crisp feel, very nice. English malt, bready with mellow heather honey in the backdrop. good balance, even with all the crazy herbs added, it builds complexity in flavor in this case. kola nut could possibly be that nutty, English-malt effect I'm getting, poppy seeds adds a drying effect in the feel and a dry, earthy flavor and I have no idea how the guarana is effecting the flavor but with any luck I might get a slight speedy buzz too!! The heat is pretty mellow but really adds some nice depth.

I'm really enjoying this puppy!! I'm also really 'into' crispy, simple beers right now so this one hits the spot and is a bit unique.

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of honey and hops with sweet malt backing it up

T - Pretty good and different I like how the hop work with the sweet malt

M - This beer has a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is one of the good beers from BrewDog for a brewery thats hit and miss to me this was a hit a very enjoyable beer to me thats worth picking up to try

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

22oz bomber, $6.49 from the Lebanon Co-Op Food Store. Batch --4, Best before 23/02/11. Served chilled in a standard pint glass. Ingredients: barley, hops, yeast, water, honey, kola nut, poppy seed, guarana.

Clear reddish-orange brew. A rigorous pour gives 2" of rocky tan head that settles slowly and leaves thick lacing. Highly aromatic. Nose is spicy, hoppy, herbaceous, sweet all at the same time, pretty complicated... caramel, pineapple, cinnamon, biscuit, green raisin, berries, teak, leather, green apple, honey. Taste is much hoppier than anticipated, good tanniny mixed hop bite, and not as complicated as the smell. Strong bergamot and grass hops on a moderate malt background. Medium bodied, slick, with a bit too much carbonation. Finish is extremely long... lingering bergamot, resin, cola, and a slight EtOH burn. Hops come to dominate the nose as it breathes. Head never settles to less than 1/2" and generates continuous lace.

---

Sampled another bottle from the same batch on Sep 25 2010, so this one's 5 months older. Just as good but in general everything is predictably more rounded and mature. The smell is much less complex (the individual notes are less distinct) and the taste has a bunch of cola. Tropicals are mostly gone and hops are significantly muted/ mellowed to a nondescript bitterness.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Pretty clear slightly reddish amber color with a quickly vanishing off-white head out of a 660mL bottle. Has a nutty honey and caramel aroma. Definitely a new taste experience. I can't really pick out distinct flavors, but it's sweet up front and then has a tart citric jolt. There's the slightest hint of piney hops and some sweet toffee, but other than that it's spices that I can't really place. Pretty smooth and kinda light on the carbonation. This type of beer really doesn't suit me, but I'm glad I tried it and I applaud Brewdog for doing something different.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a pretty neat beer. I have to say, it has got some original flavors and aromas.

A lot of honey jumps out in the nose, red fruits, and sort of a cracked pepper seediness. Not the best smelling beer, but it's still fun to roam around in there.

The taste brings more of a wildflower character up front, herbs, honey, cherry, and it's slightly nutty in the fade well after the swallow.

I would enjoy this more if the body just had a little more heft, it is a little on the light side. The carbonation is on the lower end of the spectrum, but it seems to fit.

This is a fun beer that I would recommend sharing with a friend or two and having fun picking out the unusual notes.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

A: amber. Chestnut reddish is a decent way to describe the color. Thin, subsiding head.

S: hoppy, honey and smell some strawberry

T: Def taste the honey at the start and transitions into the hoppy notes.

M: A bit thin on the mouth, very light carbonation.

D: It doesn't taste 7.8%. Def a nice beer, first brewdog beer, though its not one of the more popular beers they offer that I have heard of, I wanted to try it. Lots of nice flavors here. Probably wont be buying again right away, but it was a nice beer. Left me satisfied.

Dogma from BrewDog