Dogma - BrewDog

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.80% ABV

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 03-04-2009)
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright, orange red colour with a fluffy, tight ivory head. The head dissipates to a thick but consistent film.

Sweet with some floral hop character. A hint of orange. A light herbal note plays out but I can't identify it. Slighly woody.

Hmmmm, I don't really know what to say. There is definately some light malt, a bit of hops and some 'herbs' but the whole thing sort of fails to come together. It is a bit watery with a strong lingering bitterness. The toffee maltiness only lasts for a few seconds. That said it seems to do what it says it does.

Lightish body with moderate carbonation. A bit watery.

As a whole it doesn't work for me. It is perfectly drinkable and doesn't put me off but it lacks direction and clarity. It seems like Brewdog have tried too hard to be extreme and in the process failed to make a good beer. I normally really like these guys but they can't make it work here.

Reconsideration: A second bottle (this time the 660ml format) proves nicer. Bigger, toffee malts, less harsh herb flavours and a better mouthfeel all make this beer a better drink.

dgilks, Dec 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +10%

Batch #99, best by 16/12/10. Poured from bomber into a Unibroue tulip. One finger of off-white head relaxes on the surface of the body for a decent length of time before fading. Soapy lacing sticks to the side of the glass for quite a while. Aroma is sweet, pleasant, refreshing, unique, almost like honey-butter. Actually, very much like honey-butter. Taste is moderately sweet with some interesting spices. I assume I'm tasting guarana, since I don't think I've ever tasted it before. I get the kola nut taste but poppy seeds I don't taste. Interesting mixture of flavor, that's for sure. Style points and creativity points must be added. Remarkably well hidden ABV, almost no trace of alcohol. Interesting and tasty brew.

KickbacksSteve, Dec 05, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance - a darkened tengerine color. Conservative head, not able to whip up much. Some spotty lacing, a partial cover of rather large bubbles, and a fairly sticky collar.

Aroma - light, but spicy, like something from the kitchen you'd use for beef or chicken. A faint touch of standard sweetness but this one isn't giving away any details.

Taste - a taste of grain sweetness at the front, some indistinct flavors following. I didn't know what to expect from kola nut and guarana going in, and I'm no closer to understanding them at this point. There's something there, I just can't figure it out. The swallow goes hoppy, dry and nearly medicinal, but stays interesting too. Finishes dry, a touch of sweetness, about the same as during the swallow, though I did eventually get a taste of the poppy at the very end, at the beer's warmest.

Mouthfeel - fairly crisp, about average body and weight.

Drinkability - okay stuff, just not all that endearing.

brewdlyhooked13, Dec 05, 2009

Presentation: 660 ml bottle into a nonic. "batch 099 best before 15/12/10" stamped onto back of label.

A- Color is a slightly hazy amber. Pours with ~1 finger of light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving ample lacing.

S- Spicy, slightly piney hoppiness followed closely by sweet, malty notes.

T- A barrage of herbs and spices, followed by a distinctly honey sweetness. Quite unique to my experiences, and a bit difficult to individually pick out the various flavors. Bitterness is moderate. Alcohol is not particularly noted.

M- Moderate carbonation with a bit of crispness to it. Medium to medium-light feel, with a bit of oily slickness.

D- Good. I probably wouldn't want to make a session out of this beyond a 660ml, or even to have it with any real regularity- but it was a pleasant, interesting, easy enough drink that was an enjoyable diversion from the beaten path.

Future outlook: Dunno. Was good, and a quite unique experience...might have to pick up again and see how it wears the second time.

DoctorDog, Nov 28, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

The beer pours a dark amber, almost red color with a 1/2" offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice crystal/roasted malt character along with a strong peppery aroma. I'm not detecting any guarana or kola, although I have no idea what a kola nut is. The taste is decent. It has a dry, fruity flavor that boasts of honey and the guarana fruit. It has a light pale and crystal malt base as well as a mild cracked pepper finish. The taste is unique in that the fruit is so pronounced, but the poppy seed squashes it in the finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. These guys make so damn funky beers. I like strange brews like this one. It's not something I'd drink all the time, but in small doses it quite enjoyable.

WesWes, Nov 27, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance was orange with a large white head and tremendous lacing.
Aroma was very subtle, but had notes of licorice and anise, with a hint of black pepper.
Taste was similar to apple juice and sand, very subtle almost to the point of being bland. Little finish.
Medium body. Too light for my taste.

Travlr, Nov 14, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours a sparkling copper color with excellent head and great lacing. Nice deep malt scent with wonderful honey tones. Excellent taste; deep and malty, very rich; nice honey flavors with a bit of cola zing to it. Very rich, thick, and flavorful brew that goes down well and only has the slightlest tinge of it's high ABV.

JamesS, Nov 11, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

With a fairly vigorous pour, I managed to get a small head on this, though it faded soon. The color is orange-red, a bit hazy. The nose offers some moderate caramel malt, some earthy hops, and an unidentifiable spiciness--actually, it makes me think of a wet tea bag. The taste is pretty ESB-like: light caramel malt, earthy hoppiness, and a bit of diacetyl at the end, with a rounded fruitiness. I can't tastes any of the other spices mentioned. Body is definitely a bit on the watery side, though that too feels a like a traditional English draught beer.

allengarvin, Nov 09, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Well this truly tasyes like a herbed/spiced beer but is somewhat on the bitter side.

There is little balancing malt character but the herbs are quite pleasant and NOT medicinal.

I liked the beer OK overal but the mouthfeel is a bit thin and not as refreshing as it could be.

The drinkability suffers from the slightly unbalanced taste and the thinnish mouthfeel.

DerBayer, Nov 08, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Nose is oddly spicy, like an old easy chair, or a straw hat, or my parent's attic, or it actually kind of reminds me of fertilizer or insecticide... That's probably the worst description I've written, and I'm very interested in taking a sip. Reading the label, that must be the kola nut and/or poppy seeds, and I now recognize the guarana from my high school energy drink days. Smells unusually interesting.

Pours supremely clear ruby caramel color with mild head. Looks good.

Taste follows the nose, oddly enough, and has lots of odd things going on. Part of me wonders if this is fit for human consumption, but I'll keep going. Tart and fruity, plastic and chemical, malty and bizarre. Mild bitterness and sweetness. Moderately tea-like. There's definite notions of guarana, or what I assume must be guarana from the unusual likeness to Bawls energy drink. Tastes pretty good. Feels pretty good. Good drinkability.

Dogma doesn't really taste like a beer, it tastes like something I've never tasted before and it's pretty good.

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 05, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

330ml bottle, served chilled

Pouring with an amber body, little maroon hints on the edges. Bubbly fluffy head, settling to a fine whisp. Not overly carbonated a might add

Spicy honey sweetness on the nose, almost some malt extract before it goes in the boil. Oily almost buttered toast along with fresh lavender and some beefy hops.

Taste is herbal with a touch of heather followed by a good wallop of meaty, dry hops followed once again by a chunky malt character. When I first tried this it had reminders of Stone's Arrogant Bastard and I noted that Amarillo hops are big on the bill in this ale also. A slightly vinous note and a little bit of sweetness and caramel on the finish.

A warming strong ale. The additions are noticeable but certain don't push this into 'heather ale' territory, the hops make sure they have their rightful place.

cypressbob, Nov 03, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a medium copper color with a cream colored head. There is a strong spice characteristics to the aroma, with a hint of grassy/pine. Overall though the aroma is very subtle, and bordering mild.

Medium amount of lacing as the head dies down.

Initial taste is that of spices, followed by a sweetness similar to honey, and ending with a strong pine/hop bitterness. The spice characteristic persists as the hop characteristic dissipates, and has an exotic feel to it.

Taste overall is fairly mild, making it easy to drink and fairly enjoyable to sit down with for the evening. though the spices can be overpowering at times.

Unique tasting, definately would be something I would try a second time, or share with friends. Recommended if you want to try something outside of the norm.

Twitchsey, Nov 03, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a copper color with very little head. A very lightly carbonated beer. Smell is a bit of a mess, with some malt, spice and honey. Taste is more of the same, with some sweetness from the honey and then a taste that I can only describe as pine needles. Not the smell you would get from piney hops, but pine needles. Never had anything like it before. Not a bad beer, but not sure if I would have it again.

Mora2000, Nov 01, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

550ml bottle purchased at Tully's in Wells, ME. Pours a hazy red-amber body with virtually no head. Smells nutty with caramel and brown sugar. Tastes nutty with some vegetal hops, some caramel and brown sugar with notes of licorice. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Not sure what to make of this one. Odd mesh of flavors... Not bad, just very unique. Not bad, but not sure if I'd get again.

MrHurmateeowish, Oct 11, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the 1 pint 6.4 oz. bottle that I bought at Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood, Ohio a few weeks ago. Stamp on label suggests Batch "C 99" and "best before" date of 16/12/10. I do not recall the price.

A Very light brown one inch head over a glowing orange brown translucent body that is a bit basic really. 3.0

S I get some bourbon like notes but I think that this could be because of the unique collection of the spices and scents that come together to mimic a bourbon smell. Honey, Kola Nut, poppy seed and gaurana are the spices that I refer to. I certainly also get an alcohol kick (part of my perceived bourbon scent). I like this smell. 4.5

T Well, there is a sweetness gained from the honey but is in the same taste spectrum as maybe some maple syrup, some alcohol and then a strong grain presence as well which gave it a bit of a burlap bag (or maybe that should be a Triscuit) feel of grainy roughness but the grains are in the back, behind the sweet malt and alcohol. This beer is nothing if not interesting. 4.0

M Moderate to big beer with that grainy feel near the end and the reasonably high ABV. 4.0

D Well I will finish the bomber but this is a big beer, one that no one would drink repeatedly, if not just for the bigness of it the likely cost (I vaguely recall something in the $7.99 to $9.99 range). 2.5

Notes: Interesting beer from BrewDog with a bourbon like smell, big malt sweetness, some grainy roughness but an ABV level which is not well hidden. This is the "biggest" spiced beer that I can recall drinking.

adamette, Oct 07, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Ruby amber pour (nice hue!), small head though.
Honey is quite noticeable on the aroma, along with treacle-like malty notes. Theres some spicy herbal hints, not sure if that's poppy or guarana? Some syrupy kola hints and peppery goodness. Very nice!
Flavours are similar, with creamy honey, toasty dark malts, a fair bit of toffee and some peppery and herbal notes.
Good velvety smooth body, great moderately low carbonation. Works perfectly!
Pretty damn sessionable, hardly any hint of the alcohol.

CrazyDavros, Oct 05, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Deep red amber with a minimal head that consisted of larger light bubbles and foam.

S - pretty faint aroma's of citrus (lemon), honey, herbal notes, and a bit of earthiness.

T - Citrus hops, pine needles, cola, a bit of alcohol warmth and a nutty (Kola nut) finish.

M&D - A bit of a heavy feel to it, moderate carbonation and smooth. I feel like the honey somehow is noticeable here, but maybe that's just in my mind. I could drink a couple but will not go out of my way.

Very interesting mix of flavors. Just not sure if it is what I am looking for. Either way I love the experimentation and applaud Brewdog for having balls and taking chances.

thepeter, Oct 04, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

Huh. Teaser beer that don't deliver. Poured with a great off white to tan colored head and lots of lace. Color is a slightly hazy medium amber. Aroma is interestlingly different. Then the taste is where it all goes to hell. Shallow. chemical. Who decided that this is good? Flav is so off that it's hard to think about body. Carbonation is ok. Finish is too long for the flavor. Glad it's now only a weird memory.

drpimento, Oct 01, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

From Notes

Well I am not an expert of spiced beers, so I will try my best with this review. I thought this beer was interesting to say the least. It has a lot going on flavor wise and I am not sure that all these flavors should be contained in the same bottle. The beer was different and unique, and I would drink it again with some friends, but I could not do another bomber alone. I will try this one again down the road and see if things have changed.

earthboundagain, Sep 29, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a hazy dark amber/copper color with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a one finger frothy white head that very quickly fades into a lasting ring that leaves

Sweet and spicy aroma with light fruit notes, peppery spice and subtle sweet honey. There is also an earthy herbal presence that blends well with these other aromas. Maybe even a touch of mint.

There are a lot of complex flavors going on here. There is a very strong floral/herbal minty feel along with some spicy peppry notes, subtle sweet honey, clove, light fruit notes and syrupy medicinal notes. Very complex and interesting but the problem is that it doesn't taste very good. I appreciate the experimentation but this beer should only be sought after by people who are curious to sample it once or those looking to tic.

corby112, Sep 28, 2009

A: poured from a bomber into a tasting glass. Light amber, somewhat cloudy (though not from sediment, just the opacity of the liquid). Small white foam didn't last.

S: not too different from a Latin American soft drink (where guarana is a common ingredient) - sweet, spicy, and earthy

T: disappointing. to me it tasted more like an English bitter ale than anything exotic. the sweet honey dominating the smell is mostly gone, giving way to a mostly bitter brew. it's not a /bad/ bitterness -- there's some depth to it, kind of like roasted coffee -- but it's not what I expected. the spicy ingredients are pretty much absent. on the plus side, the ABV is very well hidden.

M: average to below-average carbonation; fairly light body for a high gravity beer

D: pretty drinkable, especially for a 7.8%. But for all the wrong reasons: once sniffed a few times, there's not much going on. I'd almost prefer a beer of this type to be /less/ drinkable because it floored me with unusual one-off flavors.

Richardberg, Sep 25, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured into a 16 oz goblet.

Deep orange copper with a two inch frothy white head that dissapates to a 1/2 inch frothy wisp.

Smells of caramel malts, cola syrup and fresh wet grass and earth; Amarillo hop. Very inviting.

Taste is surprisingly well blended malts and hops; earthy with a slight oily mouthfeel. I can detect the guarana which is similar to a coffee bean without the acidity goes quite well with the Amarillo hop profile. There is a wonderful lingering aftertaste unlike anything I have ever enjoyed. I really enjoy the complexity of this brew; the 7.8% ABV is undetectable. As it warms I can detect even more eqarthy spice. Not overwhelming spice character. It is very subtle. The guarana, Kola nut and poppy seed are all stimulants much like coffee. These ingredients are often found in energy drinks. As funny as it sounds I feel a bit energized after quaffing down my first bottle of this stuff. I wish I had another bottle to sample!
THis was very drinkable. Uniqueue and enjoyable I would recommend sharing a bottle with someone who also enjoys a creative craft brew. Loved it!Will buy more.

Cheers!

GordonQuid, Sep 23, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Batch -099, best before of 16/12/10, poured into old speckled hen glass.

A - the beer pours well, giving a big head with good retention. the head is probably a little over 2 fingers, coming in a lightly orange cream colour. lacing is also quite abundant. the body is a completely clear orange copper, a bit on the dark side. I dont know what a perfect, or even a good looking herb beer should look like, so I am going to settle on a solid four points.

S - i'll be damned if i know what kola nut or gaurana smell, let alone taste like. the nose is quite hoppy, in a more spicy than grapefruit, but more grapefruit than pine, kind of way. there is also decent malt presence, quite caramel-ish. oddly enough I even smell a pinch of fresh marijuana, though that could be the neighbors. the brew smells fine, I just can smell any of the special ingredients, so i think bumping down the score is appropriate.

T - I dont know how I should feel about this beer; its not bad, but its no knock out either. the initial taste is quite malty, caramel, and a more sweet than not. there is a distinct hop flavour in the background but it does not contribute enough to curb this quite potent sweetness. I guess I might taste some of that kola nut, and maybe the honey is making that very identifiable sweetness, but the poppy seeds and the gaurana, well, who the hell can tell. the sweetness is the most noticeable thing about this beer, seems almost out of place. the finish is bitter like piney hops, I don't know, maybe if i knew what these spices and herbs tasted like i would notice if there is a lot of kola or poppy. but I dont, so I cant. the aftertaste is malty and slightly hoppy.

MF&D - everything is pretty good in this department. ample carbonation, a heavy-light or real light medium body; its hard to tell because the carbonation thickens the body out really quickly.

erz316, Sep 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

From a pint bottle it pours into my glass a light copper hue with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head with subtle lacing,the aromas are honey,herbs and some strong malty guarana quite a different smell altogether but very nice,the palette is dominated with malty honey at first then finishes with a herbal twist and a little touch of alcohol with an average mouthfeel quite a pleasant beer thats very interesting and could drink it again but wouldnt drink it all night.

ADZA, Sep 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a black and pink labeled bottle that is an odd amount as it isn't a full bomber, but bigger than a 12 oz. 660 ml
The label informs me of the following:

Dogma is an innovative, enigmatic ale brewed with guarana, poppy seeds and kola nut all blended together with Scottish heather honey. A conspiracy of transcontinental ingredients infused with some devastatingly BrewDog imaginative thinking.

The flavours, intricacies and nuances of this beer are best enjoyed while musing over some obscure 17th Century philosophical meanderings, such as:

"If we disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things we will do much, what as wisely as he who would not use his wings but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly."
John Locke.

This beer is not cool. You may think it is, but that is just a beautiful lie fabricated by clowns and gypsies.

The pour is a deep clear amber with a white large bubbled head that dissipates somewhat fast leaving some lacing.

Aromas are plenty of maltiness with some caramel and bready sweetness in there. Overall, malt dominant in the nose.
Not really picking up all the added ingredients. Even the honey is hard to find. It is there, but in the background.

The flavor is malt dominant as well with some residual sweetness on the tongue. The honey is a bit more present in the flavor. Poppy Seed? I can't tell. Guarana? What the hell does guarana taste like? Perhaps like an energy drink. Kola Nuts? Again, never had them so I can't say.

One thing I can say is the 7.8 abv is really hard to tell. This beer hides it rather well.
Overall, The spices do add some character that is unique and unlike anything I've had before.

Dogma is the Roman Catholic understanding of what is right belief. This bottle of Dogma has me believe I'll have another sip.

rtratzlaff, Sep 08, 2009