Atlantic IPA - BrewDog

Atlantic IPAAtlantic IPA

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  8.50% ABV

Based on a 210 year old recipe, loaded with classic English hops such as East Kent Goldings and Bramling Cross; 90 IBUs. Then aged for 2 months in oak at sea.

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-02-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Thanks to capra12 for sharing this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Troeg pint glass.

A: Standard pour produces a 2 finger, fine, yellowish-cream head with decent retention. Beer is a cloudy orange with a hint of brown. Lacing is frothy and sticky with a nice ring-like pattern.

S: Nose is boozy, caramel, roasted malts, and brown sugar, with a noticeably absent hop and citrus aroma.

T: Slightly sour opening with a boozy, rich caramel middle, hop at finish with brown sugar, caramel, and toffee. Finish lingers boozy and slightly dark fruit tartness.

M: Medium bodied, coarse and carbonated but smooths out as it warms in the mouth. Slightly oily. Watery with a messy finish. Finish is aggressive, lingers, and slightly sticky.

D: NOT an IPA as I know it but the grade is elevated for innovation. Mouthfeel doesn't really help the flavors (which aren't that impressive in the first place) meld. This is one and done especially including all factors such as availability and price.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed to admit to buying this, before I even crack the cap. While I like the concept, the price is outrageous, irrespectively of the currency markets, which I actively follow. That said, in spite of the obvious gimmick, I couldn't resist the pseudo historical replication (original IPAs obviously survived a brutal journey in casks with temps and time from the UK to India that were vastly differently from the few weeks this spent on a fishing boat in the frigid North Atlantic). I also admit to being partial to the very nice psychedelic label art. Annoyingly, the import sticker covers about 20% of what I assume is more art I cannot enjoy...like I care about the surgeon general's warning!

33cl bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Atlantic IPA is a ruddy, chill-hazed bronze with a very nice sized, creamy off-white head (with a 33cl snifter, I had to let the first pour settle a tad before pouring the final few ounces) leaving thick hunks of foamy lace. Impressive.

Smell is not too strong when served at fridge temp (where it's been for a week since I bought in, in an effort to preserve the hops that I didn't realize were borderline non-existant). My first impression a bit like crayon, or clay-like or something, with some herbal spice hop very faintly in the background. This is not something that tempts me.

Taste is muddled, not at all like an IPA, but at least pretty good. Most characteristically is chocolate, weird! There's also some alcohol spice and some hops on the lingering finish, but blindly, I'm thinking porter! No doubt my palate is skewed from living in Oregon, and in fact having been on the coast today, but regardless of the heady IPAs I'm accustomed too, this is really not in style at all, even as a strong English IPA. I'm happy to at least recognize (if not actually enjoy the experience of the) the saline, as it has an acrid, salty finish that lingers in the back of the throat, as well as on the tongue. I like porters, and this tastes like a bizarre version of one, so that is not a total disappointment to me, as it honestly, good. I will break protocol and not rate this to style.

Mouthfeel is slick and thick.

Drinkability is low, because this beer is a major rip-off. As an unabashed capitalist, I could care less about their production costs, my perspective is as a consumer - but how much would it really cost them to throw a few barrels on their buddies fishing boat? As a salty strong ale, it's smooth enough, but you'll feel so violated after drinking one, that you'd have to be a real asshole to have another, ever, again, in your life. Fuck, did I really just blow almost $30 on a beer....doh!

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Out of curiosity I picked up a bottle of this from West Lakeview Liquors. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of off-white foam. Poor retention and minimal lacing, but settles to a nice cap and ring. The body is a lightly hazed apricot color that has a few stray bubbles idly escaping the confines of the glass.

S - A lot of oak, as well as some salt and spiciness, both of which I'm guessing are derived from the barrel-aging. The base beer has light floral hopping over a malt-forward backbone of toffee. Smells quite sweet. A little muted.

T - The taste is also quite sweet, with a mixture of caramel and toffee malts with oaky vanillin. Thankfully it's a little less salty, but again there isn't much hoppiness left after the fairly extreme maturation process - the only place it comes through is a slow-mounting bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - Higher carbonation than would be unlikely for an "authentic" English IPA. Medium body, a bit gritty, with a very dry and tannic finish. However, there's almost no residual feel at all - no wood, oiliness, etc.

D - This is not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination - it was fairly enjoyable and had some unique elements. The bitterness and tannic elements are complementary and never get out of hand, and the alcohol is masterfully hidden.

As a musician it reminds me a lot of symphonic performances on "period instruments" - they give us perspective on what things were like when the music was written, but also caution us against romanticizing the past while taking our technical innovations for granted (and anyone who's heard how wussy Beethoven sounds on period instruments will know exactly what I'm talking about). I also speculate that this may even be too good a beer to accurately represent an 18th century English IPA, as the quality of ingredients and quality control has greatly improved as well.

If you're interested in the history of beer, and don't mind paying $28 for some "perspective" (i.e. learning that IPAs in 1780 tasted like oaky/salty versions of Landlord) then this may be a worthwhile endeavor. Otherwise, spend you money elsewhere.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.58/5  rDev -7%

11.2oz bottle poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: A fingers worth of white creamy head that evaporated leaving behind a thin white veil, revealing an orange/amber foggy body.

S: Salt taffy dipped in caramel with a very slight hoppy floral aroma.

T: Balanced, but bland... Though the alcohol goes unnoticed the hops are not pronounced at all for an English IPA. There is however a nice oak like flavor throughout the palate with a touch of saltiness, but not enough to really make a statement.

M: Light body, almost watery. No alcohol presence whatsoever. It really leaves us looking for more... but not getting it.

D: Easy to drink, but not enough flavor or complexities to make us come back for a second. Not to mention you need a second income to by this 11.2oz bottle.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Picked this up at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, CA.

Pouring into a small Firestone Walker nonic pint glass. This is a cloudy, dark orange. Formed a 2 finger off-white head that's retaining well.

Caramel, brown sugar nose. Floral, soft booze. Vanilla sweetness. Alcohol shouldn't be noticeable but it is.

Floral hops, an almost cookie-like sweetness. Vanilla and caramel notes remind of the oak aging.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth.

Unique spin on the style with some interesting barrel aged character. A bit hot, would like to have more restraint.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tis the season to be extravagant I guess. Available at Max's today, during their Brewdog promotion. Casey was selling the beer at his cost, so I got a veritable deal (if you want to call it that). This beer only cost me $20 in a bar.

The beer pours an amber orange color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. Not entirely surprisingly, things went down quickly from there. The beer smells as if it will be on the malty side, with no more then minimal bitterness from hops. There's also a hint of smoke and butterscotch, but in all seriousness, there's nothing unusual or special about the aroma profile. Flavors replicate the nose, with just enough hoppy bitterness to counter the sweet malt. The beer finishes on the dry side, but this is not a particularly hoppy beer. I guess the brewer was trying to make an English style IPA, but this doesn't taste like any Brit IPA I've ever encountered. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent length, and drinkability is OK. Alcohol is bit more noticeable then I normally like in an IPA, and the maltiness only makes it that much more prominent.

A nice enough beer, but needless to say, not worth even a fraction of the price Brewdog wants for it. So my curiousity has been satisfied; I feel fairly certain that no one ever orders this beer more then once. I know I won't be...

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear copper with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a better smell over taste in my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Well, here it is, finally. Into a Portsmouth snifter.

The head is absolutely perfect. Bready, doughy and with depth and muffin tunnels, it sticks around quite a bit, leaving pretty solid lacing. Bourbon-colored body displays very solid clarity while also showing slow, sparse bubble action through the viscosity of it all.

I get a lot of charred, expired oak and almost a roasted dark malt here. It definitely feels old school but it slightly off the radar for today's hop bombs. Speaking of hops...where are they? Seems the barrels and sea have washed them ashore, 'cause they're not really here. (later) With warmth, I'm getting a little more caramel oiliness and maybe a dash of hops. Interesting.

Well, this is a neat little experiment, yes...but again...where the hell did the hops go? Maybe some grass but that's about it. Sure, it's been at sea for a couple of months, aged in barrels...but that's all I'm really getting. Spent malt and oakiness. It tastes GOOD, but if I closed my eyes I'd get...
...OK, we're back on the reservation now. A little more warmth brings out the hop oils...at least some of them...Still a lot more smoky than the average DIPA these days, but it's quite smooth.

Palate feel works pretty well after a while. Sure, there's the dry BBQ char up front, but it gets oily after a while and generates enough pucker to keep it at least somewhat interesting. Dryness: good. Needs a little more oiliness and palate viscosity, though.

Well, it drinks just fine, mind you. Those who have taken a look at this on the shelf understand that it may not be cent-for-cent the best beer in style to say the least. But it's interesting, even if a gimmick. Do I buy another one for no other reason than novelty sake? No...fucking...way...

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a bottle adorned with a woodcut-lithograph looking label depicting iconic navel elements; I appreciate a good Jolly Roger reference. Hazy burnt amber body with a tall, foamy, almost ice-cream like head. Lots of silky ivory bubbles. It smells like a sourdough whole-grain bread is rising in the next room. I think I can sense the aroma of candied dates, and by the time I've put the glass back down, the previously towering head has dropped to two-fingers. A sour thin-film coats the mouth and turns bitter at some point. The hops emerge after you swallow with more of that whole-grain bread, but before that it's on the sweet side. The mouthfeel is thin as long as it's held in the mouth, but the bitter/sour lingers for as long as it takes to reach for another sip.

The story behind it is enticing, and I'm very glad I was able to catch a bottle, but I couldn't justify springing for another ... still, it's intriguing, subtle, and complicated, and overall has left me smiling and satisfied.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

For those of you that don't know the story behind this beer:

James was given an 1856 "Brewer's Handbook" as a gift last Christmas which contained an even older original IPA hoppy recipe - which provided inspiration for him to embark on BrewDog's latest voyage of creating waves in an otherwise flat beer market. The following month (January 2009), he set off on a journey on his fishing trawler in the North Atlantic with eight barrels on-board, each containing beer brewed from the original recipe. Atlantic IPA (and James!) survived two months on the North Atlantic, involving a tense barrel-rescue-mission, beatings from force ten storms, 60 foot waves and encounters with killer whales. Upon safe return to dry land, the IPA was bottle conditioned and is now available at www.brewdog.com and Uto Beer, Real Ale (both London), Cornelius (Edinburgh) Beer Ritz (Leeds).

This poured an orange copper with an off white with a touch of orange creamy head. This smelled like honey, spice, oak, malt and a touch of soy sauce. It tasted spicy, oaky, with roasted malt that turned to pine to bitter roasted coffee. It had a fantastic transition in taste. Glad I tried it, not sure if it's worth $28 a bottle.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Medium orange copper color with a nice full white head.

Light fruity ester nose; pears, sweet floral character.

Mouth is medium bodied with nice carbonation and good balance.

Flavors are primarily burnt toast and clean medium bold coffee bitter. A very roasted grain, roasted cereal character; BBQ character -very smokey; tastes like a chewed espresso bean.

A bitter grapefruit undertond and finish. Interesting story; good beer; actually very drinkable.

The rarity of this one and the high price leaves even the most open minded concluding that he/she is in for something really special. Not the case; just expensive very good beer.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

I have to say first thing, that this beer is WAY too expensive. I understand that the conditions under which it was made dictate a higher than normal price, but $26 for an 11.2 ounce bottle that bears a striking similarity to Sierra Celebration is ridiculous.

A:Pours a medium amber with a thin, tight head.Minimal lacing.

S. Smells like a dry, lightly citric,floral, well-balanced IPA. Nothing mind-blowing.

T: Very nice. Sticky, bracing hoppiness. Lightly sweet caramel malts and touches of pine. A little bit of soft oak. Well balanced.

M: Chewy, effervescent carbonation. Medium bodied.

D: I would drink a lot of this if it weren't obscenely overpriced. I don't think hanging the barrels off the side of a fishing boat for a few months added much of anything to the beer's character. As much as I appreciate the inventiveness and initiative of Brewdog, their beers have always been just okay, and too expensive.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Quite a muscular, airy head forms atop this hazed cinnamon-orange beer, though it quickly pops and pocks its way to a cratered, parchment-colored sponge. Lovely and spicy to smell, remarkably hop-forward despite its journey, but also slightly oxidized. Stale bread and glue bind together a malty melange of oatmeal, peanut butter, a hint of cocoa, peppery wood, and cornbread. Tea and pine and lemon and lime characterize the ever-present hop profile. Soft yet zesty on the palate, with a smooth and feathery mouthfeel supporting a lusciously overhopped flavor accented with gin-like herby alcohol. Mild caramel and walnut notes and grapey esters are more or less totally decimated by a hot mix of Angostura bitters, brandy, autumn leaves, and bitter lemon.

Interesting - but not interesting enough, not for £10. Having said that, I never expected to buy another bottle of this and I'm glad I tried it. It is a good IPA, quite hoppy and rather aggressive, but it doesn't have much going for it to distinguish it from other (American) offerings. I hoped their experiment had yielded more revealing results. It is worth a try, certainly - but it is not worth £10.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz inflatablechair brought to the weekend tasting... I forgot Sam scored a couple of these... damn glad you brought one amigo!

Lite copper.. very clear.. good head and retention.

Oak sorta leaps out of the glass at me... earthy too.. difficult to describe.. not any where near as hoppy as I was expecting.. instead it reminds me of hay and EKG's... but I could easily be imagining things.

Still again.. where are the hops.. some descent bitterness begins at the front and moves into a mildly tannic element I'm assuming is from the wood.. really tasty, but very very very hard to quantify.. I'm done... I'm enjoying it :-)

Smooth body with carbonation that is noticeable, yet it still seems in the background and pushes the flavors forward... The drinkability is fairly high for me because I really want to score a bottle of this an sit and try and find the nuances.

Thanks Sam for bringing this.. I seriously doubt I would have pulled the trigger on this one.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

As noted in the first review, this is quite the expensive beer. I poured it into my DFH glass. Swirled in the sediment, I want to get my money's worth. And it does look quite nice: hazy copper, head with some very good stick to it. Indeed, the retention here is excellent.

In the aroma, I pick up a good balance of earthy, flowery hop along with some slight caramelized sugar. It's probably just the power of suggetion, but I could swear I pick up some brine. As it warms, wood comes into the equation with some strength. Whoa, scrap what I said about balance, it's pretty woody.

Hmmm, I was expecting this to be disappointingly close to ordinary, given the maturation process this endured. There is definitely something unusual about this, though. At first, it doesn't taste like much. In fact, it doesn't even come off as all that bitter. Yet, with each sip, the bitterness does build, analogous to a deceptively hot chile pepper. It's a rather dry, flinty bitterness at that - not the juicy grapefruit or pine-resin bitterness of American hops. Beyond that, I find this very woody and powdery, with an underlying minor spiciness that almost comes off to me as cumin. The more I drink, the more woody this seems to get. My word for this beer is certainly "flinty." Again, I'm very sure this is power of suggestion, but I could swear I taste a little salt. All in all, I can't say it is the most lip-smackingly delicious IPA I've ever had, but there are some layers of complexity to it.

In the feel, I am used to some more stickiness out of IPAs. In fact, BrewDog's beers seem thin to me in general.

This was a fun experience, though not worth the money. As it stands, I would probably choose quite a few IPAs over this one, including Meantime's reproduction of the classic English IPA. Of course, I would never turn one down. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good, highly interesting beer....yet I'm sure 95% of you would choose any number of American DIPAs over this. I would count myself among that 95%. Oh, is it easy to drink? Yeah it is. Very easy to drink, though you might feel as though you are drinking pureed dollar bills.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Pour - Atlantic IPA pours a murky, slightly flat orangish amber color. The head is very slight and its looks fairly viscous in the glass with some streaks inside the glass.

Aroma - Earthy hops, caramel, a bit of smokiness, some vanilla and a surprising hint of chocolate. Very interesting.

Taste - Very much a sipping beer, especially since I've only got 5.5 ounces available to me. Lots of vanilla flavor along with some spicy hop bitterness. The sweetness from the malt does a great job of backing up the hop flavors. Its defintitely got the qualities of an English IPA however the barrel aging and time at sea do add some complexities. I'm trying hard to pick out any brininess but its tough. As it warms there is some hints of smoke and plenty of roasty/toasty flavors along with some sweet bread dough flavors.

Overall - It was unique and enjoyable. Quite tasty stuff but the characters from the voyage at sea were not too distinguishable unfortunately. That being said I don't believe the people at BrewDog had any way of knowing what to expect from their experiment and I still give them lots of credit for what they did. Cheers

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a dark burnt orange/amber color with golden orange/peach hues when held to a light source and a frothy two finger off-white yellowish head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a thick lasting cap that leaves chunks of soapy lacing in it's path.

Toasty malt aroma with hints of caramel, rye and biscuit. Subtle hops but they seem to have faded considerably during the journey. Oak is fairly prominent in the nose with a healthy dose of vanilla. Subtle pine and citrus notes.

Slightly resinous medium body with a good bit of dry bitterness up front followed by a slightly toasty malt backbone and dry piny finish. The hops have held up better in flavor than in the nose with some dry piny and sweet citrus character. Hints of grapefruit, mango and orange peel. The bitterness lingers throughout but is well balanced by a roasted caramel malt backbone with hints of sweet caramel and rye. The oak aging is evident but is subtle and not very earthy, resulting in a lot of vanilla character. Very well balanced and maybe a bit too sweet but this is an interesting experiment that worked out pretty well. Kind of gimmicky but definitely unique and flavorful. Not worth the outrageous price tag but I'm glad I had a chance to try it.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Atlantic IPA, bottle courtesy of a friend. Poured in to a traditional shaker pint.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber orange with a great deal of well-distributed, slow, and surprisingly large effervescence. The two-finger slightly tan head has average average to good retention and leaves nice lacing, streaky and continuous on the sides of the glass. A great start.

Aroma: Light fruity esters, spice, biscuity malts, slight caramel, and green woodiness accompany a slew of dry maltiness - very English IPAish.

Taste: Huge oak is the predominant note in this one, really, lending a lot of toasty, woody, earthen notes to a beer otherwise characterized by mild to moderate bitterness - less than I'd thought it would be - a minerally water quality, slight hay, grass, spice, and faint roasted malts - relatively dry, biscuity.

Mouthfeel: A moderate body, smooth yet still relatively crisp and spritzy, a feel that's complimented by the spicy, mild bitterness.

Drinkability: A novelty, but a tasty novelty - at 8.5%, it's not a novelty to take lightly, though. The oak may perhaps be a little too prominent, and the base beer not really what I expected it to be, but everything jives decently nonetheless. A solid brew.

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Because I had the monies and the ambition, I purchased a bottle of this with the intention of bringing it along to my first Dark Lord Day (2010) and sharing it with my friends. When the rains came, we were forced into my empty van, wherein lay the opportunity to finally crack this bad boy. It pours a cloudy amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises smooth caramel (it's actually amazing that you can smell the texture), flowers, dank greens, and a hint of buttercream. The taste brings in more of the same, with the caramel and greens melding beautifully, joined on occasion by what seems like fresh oak. There's still a bitter bite from the hops in there, and though some may call it dull, I'd say it's smooth, mellow. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light carbonation and a, well, smooth feel. Overall, a damn fine beer, one of the highlights of the day (including guest drafts, random bottles, and the Dark Lord himself). Makes me wonder why all of the hullabaloo regarding "peak freshness" persists so loudly in the BeerAdvocate zeitgeist...

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

thanks to HarvInSTL for picking this up for me and dragging it across the atlantic of the 2nd time.

hands down one of the coolest labels ever.

pours a murky brownish copper. slight hints of orange. massive pillow head that takes its dear sweet time.

light oak and boozy malts up front. light citrus and floral hops.

interesting. booze is present for sure. the malts are vibrant. the hops have bite, bits of floral and resin with hints of pine. the oak yields light vanilla and darker tones. bits of lemon zest and bitter citrus in the finish. hands down the oddest IPA i have ever had.

light, smooth, lightly sweet, mild carbonation.

i dig this, a lot. im assuming this is from the batch that was made last year. id love to try this fresh. great flavors, lots of complexity, something different. if this were available, i would drink this again.

kudos to Brewdog for taking this on!

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

I was very lucky to get to try this beer.

Poured into a tasting glass.

Pours 1 finger of slight off white head. Color is a copper gold. Good retention with sticky lace left.

Aroma: Interesting hop profile. Dry floral taste with lots of sugar flavors, vanilla. Bready malts and oak. There also seems to be some fruit in here maybe, more than the regular ipa citrus. Very interesting indeed.

Taste: A dry floral taste with vanilla and oak. The oak flavors are really nice in this beer. I also get citrus notes with some other fruit flavors.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but incredibly smooth. Very nice feel for an ipa. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and hoppy.

Overall, I wish I had more of this, but getting to try it was pretty cool. I thought this ipa was very unique as compared to any other I have had. It had a nice amount of oak and the fruit flavors that blended in were great. Definitely worth a try.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice clear ruby red/amber with a very small white thin head with no lacing. Nose. A bit musty and like a boat. It's very earthy with a light hoppiness.

Taste is fantastic, it's really malty and rich, there's a nice hoppiness but it's super balanced. Very good beer with a crazy story.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »