Tokyo* - BrewDog

Tokyo*Tokyo*

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.20% ABV

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

(Beer added by: PartyBear on 08-29-2009)

asparkoflife, Dec 05, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Not this one, that one..Tokio* A beer that was dedicated to Thanksgiving style festivities last weekend. Popped the top and poured the viscous liquid out in clumps..maybe not quite..Thick, though, low carb..Boozy but not out of control with higher alcohols, just what it should be 18% of ridiculous ethanol pushing some cranberry and chocolate notes forward..Not really getting much jasmine or oak or French..For what this ridiculous beer is, it's pretty solid and probably would age well. A bit pricey, but whatchoo goin do? Good work, gentlemen..

dragonWhale, Dec 04, 2011

Rollzroyce21, Nov 24, 2011

mikereaser, Nov 24, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm generally not a high ABV guy, but I've been reading alot about BrewDog pushing the envelope, so I figured I'd give this one a try. Purchased from the relatively new Beer Pantry, located in the Graybar Passage of Grand Central Terminal. This place is great...but CRAZY expensive. $19 for this 11.5 oz bottle of goodness. This brew is over-the-top in so many ways. Smell, appearance and taste are all going to be a love it, or hate it endeavor. Lots of fruit, sweetness and of course the booziness. I enjoyed it, but be prepared. It will kick your friggin ass.

Ralphs66, Nov 23, 2011

Brueghel, Nov 18, 2011

sampx, Nov 18, 2011

codynevels, Nov 18, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by January of 2021 - Wow... you can't write jokes like that.

Special thanks to Huhzubendah (Matt), for getting my Cigar City snifter back to me so that I could enjoy this beer. Or did I really enjoy it?

A: This definitely didn't pour out like the ink bomb I was expecting. Actually, there were quite a few brown notes as the liquid was pouring, and more than enough spritzy carbonation to go around. The small beige head was subtle, yet it effectively stayed around for a good bit.

S: Strong booze.... jeez! Did something die in my glass? No chocolate, oak, or anything of that nature. After I warmed up to it, I managed to get a hint of jasmine and dark fruit.

T: In this very rare instance, I actually dug the fact that this was a VERY sweet beer. No chocolate, soy sauce, or anything of that nature (or things typically attributed to extreme stouts) could be found. I got a tremendous amount of the jasmine on the back end, and lots of uber sweet fruit sugar. To be fair though, this got substantially better the longer I let it warm and got used to its taste profile. I started to grow some affection for the way it made my tonsils stick together, and the way it made every cut that every even thought about forming in my mouth miraculously heal.

M: You know how sweet fruit gets after you put it in a dehydrator for several hours? Well, multiply that times 10.... then add another 5 tablespoons of sugar. I will say this though.... the sweetness worked miracles in terms of hiding the intense alcohol that I got on the nose. The lacing on the glass was used car wash stuff, and not only was there a substantial amount of lingering, but I believe my throat and esophagus are completely clean now... not to mention my stomach, which is now devoid of its lining.

O: Stout, my ass... this is a straight up spirit. My suggestion would be to bury this in the ground until about the year 4000.

Maybe this isn't just my thing... or maybe Huhzubendah pissed into my Cigar City snifter one two many times while it was in his possession.

Chaney, Nov 15, 2011