Tokyo* - BrewDog

Tokyo*Tokyo*

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.20% ABV

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

(Beer added by: PartyBear on 08-29-2009)
2.9/5  rDev -26%

At first sip, I enjoyed it, because of its bold flavor, but as noted elsewhere, it became just overbearing and alcoholic, which increased as it warmed in the glass.

Rich mahogony in color, nearly black, with a pale white head that dissipated quicly. Sticky sweet aroma with obvious notes of alcohol.

Dominated by roasted sweetness, almost burnt, there are hints of the smoke and oak, but they're overwhelmed by the bitterness and alcohol.

2.28/5  rDev -41.8%

So I picked up this black labeled bottle and gave it a cursory glance. I'm a nut for good barrel aged stouts, which this beer contradicts. This beer hedges on something like a port wine. Its sweet, sweet taste over-accentuates the subtleties of a quality stout.

A- Standard for a high quality stout, leveled out with minimal head and par for the course.

S- Pungent smell of sweet cranberry in the background coupled with a strong alcoholic backbone. I did not expect this, despite my great expectations.

T- Right in line with the smell. This beer (which, to be honest I did not realize was made with cranberries and Jasmine prior to purchase) resonates with sweetness and alcoholic abrasiveness. I was offended by the lack of subtlety and smoothness. I was reminded of the port wine I tried at Thanksgiving, regretting my obligation to try.

M- While I was looking for something much more subtle and calm, this struck me as much more abrasive. I cursed the price as I let it ruin my taste buds.

D- My mantra: You only have so much sobriety to waste on sub-par beer (okay, beer that you don't really love).
My thoughts: I'd pour this out if I didn't shell out around 10 bucks for this 12oz bottle. After a short debate, I realized that I had much bigger and better beers to understand and I exposed a good friend to the other half of this bottle. He shared my sentiments, but thanked me for my "generosity".

Overall: you can't combine these ingredients for a great, quality Imperial Stout. Too far outside the box for my taste. This needs its own style. I'm sure it seemed like a great idea at the time, but leave the cranberries out. If you are seeking out a sweet, uncharacteristic stout, go for it. If you enjoy Port wine, maybe this is up your alley. If you are used to great, smooth, barrel aged stouts (Bourbon County, Parabola, or even a Firestone anniversary blend), then this probably isn't your cup of (tea).

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into a Delirium snifter glass at Amsterdam

A: Dark dark black. It poured with no head, but it did leave a tan brown medium light lacing.

S: The aroma was chocolaty, malty, almost savory sweet with some dark fruits.

T: There is a definite alcohol that leaves a lingering heat in my mouth, on my tongue, and on the back of my throat. I can pick up on the cranberries in the start, sugar sweet. There's a light tart/bitter towards the finish. Some chocolate notes. I can pick up a very subtle floral from the jasmine that lingers on my tongue after I swallow the beer.

M: A crispness with a nice silkiness and creamy.

D: I think it's nicely drinkable for being an 18.2% abv beer...but of course with a beer of that level, it's not as drinkable as a scrimshaw would be. I can have one in a sitting; but I have to switch it up after that. A really nice sipper though.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's Cold Beer for $6.75. I was expecting something along the lines of World Wide Stout, but this was much more like port. I'd be interested to see what this tastes like in a few years, but right now it's a surprisingly smooth mix of dates, cranberries, chocolate, and roasted grains. There's a bit of warming alcohol. It's not offensively strong, but I'd expect it to cool with time. There's a tart and bitter undertone and for the strength, the body is fairly reasonable. It's a beer you probably should split, but wouldn't need to. Be warned.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before 03/03/20. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head that went away quickly. There's a small amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is booze (brandy-like), dark fruit, molasses, oak and roasted malt. It's a sweet and boozy smelling brew. The brew tastes like dark fruit, molasses, smoke, licorice, roasted malt and booze. The first sip was very boozy, but the booziness eased up after that and the sweet flavors became more noticable. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit thin for a stout but it's also slick and syrupy with moderate carbonation. For a beer as strong as this one is, I think the drinkability is good. It's smooth and goes down easy enough. I think this is a good overall brew, I'll have to age my other bottle for a while and see how it turns out after a few years.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Brewdog Tokio served into a Sierra goblet. Bottle bought for $15 bucks at a pizza-beer joint in Baltimore, MD.

Appearance: Dark chocolate/burnt cherry color, like an aged barleywine of sorts. Deep brown but not black. Barely any head, disappears super quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Dark fruits, pureed. Intense booze and heat. Oakiness, but not too pronounced. Barbeque sauce and lighter fluid, mixed with molasses. Some red wine aromas too. Crystallized sugars.

Taste: Follows nose. More molasses, sugar, old-wine, oak. Some chocolate and cherry (cranberry). The oak in which this brew was aged is almost imperceptible in the mouth. Alcohol is massive.

Mouthfeel: Huge body, enormous booziness, more so as it warms up. Sticky, syrupy, gigantic. As it warms up, it is like drinking straight-up fire.

Drinkability: Low. Even if it is your first beer, it will hit you. It burns. I like it, but I'd be fine with six ounces. Or a sip or two. Glad I tried, though!

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

330ml bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast...

Poured almost pitch black even when held up to the light... Dirty mocha brown head poured quite very loose and bubbly and faded instantly to thin covering... light lacing..

Aroma - Very strong sweet oaky bourbon to the fore straight away, very woody and earthy, lots of fresh vanilla, roasted malts, hints of tar, cigar smokiness, rich stewed dark fruits (blackcurrents and prunes), molasses and burnt brown sugar, alcohol is just noticeable, fresh black pepper

Taste - Tons of roasted and charred malts mixed with strong molasses / black treacle sweetness followed closely by warming alcohol, lots of vanilla, liquorice, defnite cigar / tobacco smokiness, rich dark sweet fruits (black cherries, prunes, figs, raisins, blackcurrents), very earthy, espresso, light soy notes, alcohol definitely comes through, dark chocolate...

Feel - Smooth, slick and full bodied... incredibly drinkable for a 18% brew although you definitely notice the alcohol after one bottle..

Overall - An amazingly complex stout... highly recommended. By far the best Brewdog beer i've had...

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle, 330 ml. Wow, this is a great one. Brown-black colour, pours a dark red head, that doesn't hold much. Smell of coffee, figs, pepper, vanilla, licorice, with toasted notes, maybe wood... and pure alcohol, maybe too much ethanol. Thick body, it seems to "weight" in your tongue, and dumb it. Taste is the same of smell, plus oranges and definitely wood. Maybe too agressive, even more when it warms, but a pleasure to your senses. It may be hard to drink for most people, even for beer lovers, but it's really great.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into Affligem goblet...

A: Pours a jet black body with a two finger head of mocha foam, retention was decent especially for a stout of this abv, the retention is really good.

S: Smell is a huge aroma of booze, molasses, candied fruit, oak, maple sugar, vanilla, the warmer it gets the more aroma jumps out and the more complex it seems to get. Only knock is that it smells a little sweet, needs a bigger roasted malt presence.

T: Wow!!! Massive flavors that are incredibly complex and surprisingly balanced. Everything that was smelled in the nose along with added booze and molasses.

M: Thick heavy body, faint carbonation, heavy booziness that creates a heat in the back of the throat, fairly smooth though despite the high abv.

D: Surprisingly drinkable for 18.2%, the intensity of the flavor and slight booziness are the only drawbacks. Really incredible beer and a great example of how far the boundaries of beer can be pushed.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Batch --3
Best Before 16/02/20

poured into glass. jet black. lots of carbination on pour. reminded me of pouring cola into a glass. loud fizzy carmel two finger head that dissipated into nothing. no lacing. light sugar coating to the sides of glass upon a swirl; reminiscent of a fine wine.

smell is a little boozy, cranberries, oak, jasmine.

taste: hot (alocohol 18.2%) rich and creamy. lots of cranberrie, dark fruit and lite oakiness. chocolaty dark carmel malts. sweet like a good bourbon. a light tart and sourness to the brew.

mouthfeel is heavy. smooth hop finish that lingers into a cranberrie wine.

drinkability. think of drinking five beers in one 12oz serving. one and done.

great brew to cellar. very limited availability. definately a sipper. great drinking experience. this is the second bottle i have had and very much enjoyed.

Pints Up!
Jake

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance - Pitch black with a large tan head that won't let go of the glass.

Smell - It smells like hard liquor, almost like a dark rum. Sweet and extremely alcoholic, with a little bit of oak as well.

Taste - Sweet and alcohol assault the tounge. Molasses, vanilla, rum, and fruit that I guess must be cranberries. It immediately numbs your mouth and warms your throat. There's a barely discernable glimpse of hops at the beginning. They must have used quite a bit of hops to get even that much flavor in this monster.

Mouthfeel - Very thick with medium carbonation.

Notes - I really wasn't expecting to like this, but it's actually pretty good, for what it is. It's really not my type of beer becaue of the huge alcohol flavor, but at least that flavor meshes well with the others. I really dig the oakiness, and I love the mouthfeel, too. I would recommend this to any fan of extreme beer or imperial stouts. As for me, I don't think I'd want to drink a whole bottle again, but I wouldn't mind splitting one with someone.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Opaque but not thick with a Carmel head, not much lacing just circles of head few and far between trailing down the side I drank from.

Smell: It smells like this stuff from when I was a kid (http://www.funforalltoys.com/products/just_for_fun_6/plastic_bubbles/plastic_bubbles.html) which is why I gave it a 5.0 there is a 1.0 nostalgia factor. If the link does not work its that stuff that came in little tubes that you could blow bubbles with I think its called Blipo. But I think what they are going for was chocolate and jet fuel.

Taste: Holy shit cranberry with a subtle but distinguished tart flavor chocolate dark Carmel malts oh god this is so sweet. but not in the chewy way not what I was expecting at all. A lot of heat up front and on the swallow

Mouth feel: heat out the yin yang Like chocolaty napalm. it stays in your chest like drinking straight Liquor.

Drinkability: No surprise here. One and done, the heat and the ABV are quite intense the kind of thing you only have more then one of if you are cellaring or if you want to bet a freshman he cant drink a four pack in an hour so you can watch him pee himself in front of all the hot foxy ladies at your super cool party

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

L- pours a dark black, only just lets the tiniest amount of light through, with about an inch and a half of brown head, which slowly subsides, some lacing.

S- the Jasmine addition really comes through, smells very sweet with a lot of alcohol heat. touch of cranberry as well. overall the smell is very sweet and spicy, reminds me a little bit of a hot cross bun.

T- Sweet malts, cranberry and Jasmine, lots of raisin, sultana, cinnamon, orange peel, again slightly like a hot cross bun, both sweet and spicy. alcohol taste comes through again but it is pleasant. a whole heap going on here, lots of flavors and would make a great winter warmer.

M- on the thicker side, but not as thick as i was expecting. little bit of carbonation.

D- could never have more than one in an evening. not highly drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Tokio pours a deep dark brown/near black into the glass. On top, a small, creamy tan head forms. The foam dissolves slowly to a sheet on the surface leaving behind a fair amount of spots and lines of lace on the glass.

The rich, malty aroma has notes of alcohol, oak, chocolate, raisins and roast malt.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is soft on the palate, velvety with a fizzy feel on the tongue. The flavor is very rich and malty. It begins with chocolate and toffee, followed by dark fruit (raisins, cranberries) and finishes with light spice flavors, almost like mint. Throughout the sip is a presence of alcohol. Once gone the rich, dark malt flavor lingers on the palate.

This is a very tasty complex beer. Lots going on, but the alcohol makes it a sipper. I wish I had a bottle or two to age in the cellar for a few years.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Hazy (almost dirty) brown color. Poured no head, outside a tan skim that stayed to the edges. A few thin rings of lacing.

S: Sweet cranberries. Coffee and chocolate. Jasmine and floral notes intensified as the beer warmed. Definitely the smell of alcohol, but less than expected in a beer of this strength. Intriguing and complex; very good overall.

T: Toasted malts (like the nose); coffee, chocolate and maybe a little raisin. Cranberries and wet wood come through in the middle and are a little sweet. Bitter hops and warming alcohol in the finish.

M: Light to medium body. Low carbonation. Sweet, warm and dry.

D: Masks the alcohol amazingly well. That, coupled with full, rich flavor, makes it a sipper.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

A-Absolute black with a tan head that leaves decent lacing.

S-I knew it was brewed with cranberries but the nose still surprised me. Lots of sweet cranberries, oak, roasted malts, burnt chocolate.

T-Cranberries, oak, chocolate with some heat on the finish.

M-Full bodied, well carbonated. I would say it has a smooth mouthfeel.

D-the small sample I had was more then enough. It was too sweet for me and I don't think the cranberries mixed well with the stout.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to dscheuster for this brew (and many others).

Poured a very short pour and got nearly zero head. Color is black as I expected with little to no head. Surprised that there are some bubbles coming up.

Smells: heat with sweet, malty, a bit chocolatey and hint of fruitiness.

Taste is fruity, very sweet, but the heat becomes an overpoweringly alcohol. Hard to taste the jasmine, or the cranberry for that matter, but do pick up a definite fruit taste throught the big Heat.

Brew dog has done it again - taken an over the top extreme idea n made a BIG, big ale from it. Of course with a lot of heat. They are marketing whores but im not hating them for it! Thanks for the crazy ones!!

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Very deep brown, opaque and dense. Tan head of half a finger sticks around.

Sour cranberries, oak,bourbon,cherry, jasmine, dark chocolates, alcohol, and other nice fruity esters emanate from the goblet.

Well form reading the reviews I thought I may not like this but I guess this is why we review. I actually think it's quite pleasurable especially considering the ABV. Vanilla oak, hints of bourbon, Roasty malts, with dark burnt chocolates on the finish that leave a long tannic finish. Alcohol burns the chest but isn't overly offensive. Residual sugar levels are pretty high in this bordering on cloying. The sourness of the cranberries shine through at the mid palate onto the finish. Hints of floral notes, and bitter hop character.

Mouth is a bit thin but is expected with this high of ABV.

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes. Thanks, Max.

Pours black with no head or lacing. Nose brings quite a bit of pungent herbs and some booze. The taste is smilar, win the booze and gin-like characteristics taking over. No cranberry detected. Feel is somewhat light all things considered. Lots of booze. Interesting, but not highly drinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

There's nothing Stout-like about this beer. No roast/coffee/bready qualities. Not even that characteristic old world Porter/Stout funk. Methinks they should have called this a barleywine or just strong ale.

In a nutshell, it basically tastes like cheap fortified Port. Maybe it will smooth out in a few years, but then it might just taste like syrup.

The aroma smelled strongly of brandy soaked prunes. Color was a hazy brown with red highlights. Besides the hot alcohol notes, the taste had some pleasant sherry/port qualities which got better as the beer warmed. As it warmed one could also pick out a vague burnt sugar note.

To give this beer a chance, serve and consume near room temperature. At typical bar tap temperature it was way too hot and thick.

Overall... meh.

Good idea, bad execution.

EDIT: Serving size was a "sample" at about 4-5 ounces. Like wine, this was plenty.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'd like to point out if you're hoping to find barrel/oak notes, dry hop character, or anything else described on the label of this beer, you will be sorely disappointed. It basically tastes nothing like the description will lead you to believe. That's not a bad thing, just be ready for it.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle

An 18.2% oak aged stout brewed with cranberries and jasmine? I'm game!

A- Poured into a sniffer. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is dark and roasty with a good amount of oak and a touch of chocolate. I'm also picking up a good amount of the cranberries as well. I'm not picking up the jasmine a whole lot, but there is definitely some floral notes going on in the background. For a beer this strength, the alcohol is not a huge part of the aroma. I'm digging this beer so far!

T- The taste like the aroma is dark roasted malts with some chocolate. I can pick up on the cranberries a little bit in the taste as well. The finish is roasty with some bitterness from the hops and a warming slightly boost finish from the high alcohol. I'm also picking up on some of the oak in the finish as well.

M- The mouthfeel is a little lighter than expected but has a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, the strength of this beer makes this one unquestionably a slow sipper. I really enjoyed this one and think that it has the potential to turn into a really special beer after some extensive aging. Recommended!

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks goes out to spycow for this brew.

11.2 oz.
Batch: 3
Best Before: 16/02/20

Poured into a chalice a thick black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, which leaves minimal sticky lacing behind, with a few small islands. The nose is malty, with lots of chocolate, toffee, figs, raisins, plums, jasmine, cranberries, nice oak note. The taste is malty, with some hops, lots of dark stuff. Full body, this one is kinda hot, but very tasty and very drinkable, very complex brew. For being this high in ABV, it's hidden pretty well. Very Drinkable, I like this one, hit's the spot. Thanks Chris.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer is nuts. Almost not a beer at all. Frankly, its elements are good, but its sum total is hard to drink.

Pours super black with a slight tan head. The aroma is sharp and boozy, like a beer-flavored cognac. Taste is chocolatey and super hot and boozy, with lots of plum and raisin, maybe even pruny. This is so hot and alcoholic, with a currant or cherry character. It is so rich, it is almost hard to describe. There is a slow spread of warmth across my chest, like a great brandy. The mouthfeel is sticky, with a boozy, brandy-like finish.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

11.2 oz bottle, batch 002

A: Dark black under a good sized brown head. Some spotty lace, small amount of retention.

S: Roasted malt, some chocolate, some cranberry, alcohol, toasted. Pretty complex.

T: Caramel, roasted malt, alcohol, some cranberry, sweet, mild bitterness in the finish. Again, complex.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation is high, a bit slick on the tongue. Drinkability is OK for such a big beer, would definitely do well with some age.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Batch ..3
Best by 16/02/20
Oak aged stout brewed with cranberries and jasmine
In a snifter the beer was a very dark brown, almost black color, with a miniscule tan head.
Strong aroma of alcohol, also tart fruit and chocolate.
More of a chocolate taste than anything else. Could appreciate the cranberries, but couldn't find the jasmine. Alcohol noticeable.
A bit on the hot side, but not as much as I guessed from the aroma.
Interesting beer.