Tokyo* - BrewDog

Tokyo*Tokyo*

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.20% ABV

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

(Beer added by: PartyBear on 08-29-2009)
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Super dark brown colour - not jet black as I'd expected. A tan coloured head which was about 1 finger but fades pretty quick. Light doesnt shine through this sucker.

Insanely rich nose. Super strong bittersweet chocolate smells there. Almost like distilled 90% cocoa chocolate. Dried fruits are present too for sure. Smells boozy as hell. This is the strongest beer I've had yet and it's letting me know. The additions of jasmine and cranberry are noticeable as a kind of herbal bite, though I wouldnt have picked the cranberry in a million years if i didnt know it was there.

Monsterous beer. Almost unbelievable. Rampant fig, date and plum flavours run amok on the tongue amongst tastes of pudding, chocolate and roasty, roasty malts. Insanely sweet, but also a deep bitterness present along with some big herbal sorts of flavours. Unbelievably boozy, vodka like in its warmth and back-of-throat feeling. This is an outrage. I like it, but its a huge shock to the taste buds.

Feels luxurious in the mouth. Cloying, but could be MUCH more so. Probably the most deserving of the term 'sipper' of any beer I've had.

Shit.... What is this monster?!

jbowers56, Apr 20, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Who would have thought I'd run into this beer on-tap? I already bought two bottles for myself, but maybe I'd be better off tasting a small amount before I dive into my bottles. On-tap at 38 Degrees in a 4½ ounce taster glass, on to the beer:

Creamy black color, not the super dark jet black I've come to expect from the style. A little bit of lacing stay on top the beer and on the glass. There's a lot of chocolate fudge in the aroma. I didn't really smell a lot of booze. The cranberry starts to come out and add another dimension to the nose. A really pleasant nose, and not harsh at all.

Ok, here we go. There is some good flavor, and yes, there is quite a bit of alcohol. Chocolate liqueur is the most dominant of the flavors. I like how the jasmine and cranberry additions are melded into this strong beer; it's not just a strong cloying stout. Strong vodka-like booze hits towards the end, but the boozy element is short lived. Body is more medium bodied than full, aftertaste isn't very intense, which helps get this beer down faster.

Tokyo* isn't just another high ABV stout; the spice and fruit really add to make this beer unique in its category. Personally, I've been dissapointed with the BrewDog beers I've sampled in the past, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this beer come out without being a train wreck. Now, the hard part will be saving a bottle for long-term aging.

DoubleJ, Apr 19, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Glad they got this one at the local brew store...

A: Hmm, a little lighter looking than expected. Dark, but just pours a lot lighter than the motor oil brews. Not as thick. 1 inch off-white head that quickly fades. Good.

S: Smells of sweet apples upfront with a roasty booziness in the middle and oaky roast on the backend. Decent.

T: Holy big beer! Nice dark fruit, oak, and thick booze upfront. Hot brew! Sweet malts in the middle with a hint of roasty oak on the backend. Good.

M: Thick for sure. Misleading appearance. Sticks heavily to your palate. Good.

D: Goes down a little harder than normal brews, hence the 18% ABV. Not much different than what I expected.

All in all, this is a good sipping brew to try at least once. Not a whole lot special going on in this brew. Very hot and dry. Some good flavors bouncing around, but age would probably serve this one well.

steve8robin, Apr 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

While I am probably in the minority with this beer that is okay. I realize why this has some lower rankings and I hope that people that see my review see what I am able to see here.

A - a very dark apperance no light is gettting through a small wispy dark chocolate head.

S - Dark chreries wonderful aroma.

T - Sort of harsh but with the abv to be accepted at the same time.

M -strong cherries with a bit of pucker it is strong.

D - I really liked this and should be retried for the style and abv.

Casey10, Apr 18, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Poured with a small head of orange-brown foam on top of an opaque, black body. The foam dissipates quickly and leaves nice lace.

S - An aroma of caramel and roasted malt with some sweet toffee and bread.

T - Dark caramel and molasses up front. Some soy-like malts and cola in the middle. Complex notes of alcohol and dark sugar including boozy fruit flavors of cherry and fig with thick molasses. Finishes with more dark chocolate and burnt sugar.

M - Thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Like all of the super high ABV beers that I have had, drinkability isn't a word that belongs in any description of this beer. The six oz serving that I had was as much as I needed, and I would have had a hard time drinking any more. It has a soy sauce character that seems to be tied to the molasses flavors and that threatens to overwhelm the other elements of the beer. There are some nice notes of caramel and fruit that help create a level of complexity and counter the excessive molasses. In my experience, it seems like anything over 14 or 15% ABV develops a level of syrupy sweetness and alcoholic heat that cannot be balanced out and that begins to turn it into something other than beer. While Tokyo is relatively complex and balanced for a beer of this strength, much of its appeal is novelty.

nickfl, Apr 13, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle from the brewery. Black with reddish hues, a bit of lace, a thin head. Floral and roast aroma, a contradiction. A mild amount of carbonation. Initially, a good chocolate hits the tongue. Serveral sips later, very boozy, more vodka-ish. Below average mouthfeel.

Sammy, Apr 12, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle, $12.99, best by 12-14-19. Cute.

This beer is clear, with a dark brown body that has ruby red highlights if I shine my LED light through it. There was a very thin layer of hear, which quickly disappeared. Not even a ring.

Aroma started out as sweet fruits, mostly cherries and berries. Then dark malt followed, with some tannins and indeterminate hops. I couldn't tell if they were piney, floral, grassy, citrusy, or just plain resinous. Because they were overpowered by a boozy smell, like whiskey.

Taste was bitter at the forefront, followed by some very dark malt. Then came a blast of alcohol, followed by tannins from the oak. Finish was roasted malt, with a little bitterness.

Mouthfeel was most definitely oily and slick. Nowhere near as viscous as I would have expected from something this heavy on the malt.

Drinkability has to take a big hit, however. I had to struggle to get through it. If ever a beer was a true sipping beer, well, this is it. Based on what I have had so far, of course. I still plan to have a few thousand more kinds over the next few decades. I am starting to rethink whether I should buy a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin or not.

connecticutpoet, Apr 11, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

12oz bottle poured into some glasses, courtesy of oglmcdgl, thx 4 the shot.

Not as dark as expected for a ris, tokyo pours out of the bottle with a dark reddish/brown color and some black. Once in the glass, it appears black, but is not quite there. A finga of tightly coiled tannish foam that left no lace.

Wow, this is a booze monster, boozy as hell with some dark fruits resembling bum wine. This reminds me of a certain fruit beer brewed in delaware. I can't even get chocolate or other familiar smells out of this, just booze

The booze is in the way, it's large and in charge, the oak aging barely comes through and you have to look for it. All the crazy ingredients used form some type of odd taste that I can't break down. Port wine and licorice makes sense.

Boozy and hot on the mouth. This does not have the biggest body for a 18 percent ris, on the thicker side of medium. The hotness makes this seem bigger than it is. Carbonation is not a problem, it's there but it does not liven things up that much.

No way in hell that I would drink an entire bottle of this to the head, hell, I had a time with my six ounces or so. Very similiar to dfh wws fresh out the gate which I was expecting so I was not totally dissapointed, just aware of what it was before I dove in. Sure I could lay a bottle down for five years to mellow the booze, but where it's at now, what's the point?

BARFLYB, Apr 07, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Bottle split with onix1agr, poured into snifters.

A- pours a deep ruby brown with a finger or two or tan dense head. Spots of lace with minimal stickage.

S- licorice and port wine. Booze soaked dates and a mild chocolate touch. Some burt malt in there as well.

T- yikes! That's hot, lots of alcohol. Sweet and slightly burnt. Lots of port and cream sherry. Licorice root and chickory. But its the sweetness and booze that wins.

M- mild carb and on the viscous side with a burn from the heat.

D- not there yet maybe with some time its going to be something but this 7 or so oz is going to be tough. Not quite what I was expecting from an ris more like a giant old ale.

oglmcdgl, Apr 07, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A-pours a dark brown, almost black colored liquid that lets some deep ruby red hues shine through. The head is a lighter tan in color and pretty tight and thick. The retention is decent, lingers for about a half a minute, with a slowly falling lace that is thick but does fall behind the head

S-the nose is light especially for an RIS. Slightly burnt malts with dark chocolate are there first. A good bit of molasses acts as the inbetween as the cranberries sweetness seems to come through towards the back. Not really sure what Jasmine smells like but there is a light almost sweeter spice mixed in there with the molasses and cranberries. Rum soaked raisins and figs lie underneath in the back

T-huge flavor! Wow is this big! Roasted malts and dark chocolate are right in the forefront. Booze in the middle with a big sweetness following. Cranberries, plum, figs, rum soaked raisins and some bitter dark chocolate in the very back. Heat from the alcohol is definintely there in the back.

M-very full bodied and chewy. This is quite rick and soft, smooth on the palate with a creamy syrup like texutre. Nice carbonation, present and low, soft and inviting.

D-this is a very big RIS, the nose wasn't quite so big; but the flavors are huge. It is a little sweet and lacks the roasted qualities of a dominant RIS; but the size alone makes me really like this. The booze was there and it was a little hot, but 18% alc is going to be. Sometimes bigger is better and for me this is one of those cases.

cpetrone84, Apr 03, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

11.2 oz. bottle, batch 002, best by Dec. 14, 2019, but I think this will be able to last for far longer than that,

A: Pours black with a 1/2 finger of tan head, nice retention with spots of lace on the glass.

S: Has some nice aromatics, but not particularly pungent as I tend to find on beverages with a lot of ethanol. Baker's chocolate/chocolate covered cherries, roast with a hint of charcoal, and a wildflower feel/violets - that's the jasmine I'm assuming, it's quite light on the back end. I got a bit of root beer too. A definite molasses/dark sugar undercurrent throughout.

T: Dark flavours - chocolate and roast again with almost a hint of honey. Some residual sugar, but it's pretty well attenuated, at least in the taste. The cranberries used are light in the flavour, but evident. This is boozy for sure, but for me it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the beer as a lot of ethanol bombs can; for 18.2% it was fairly well balanced.

M: Full-bodied, viscous - what I expected. Nice warming alcohol going down which I liked. It's like a spirit in the very end of the finish, but not rough as some liquor can be.

D: This is a sipper, an after dinner drink for sure. It's definitely still raw. The ethanol is too high in the overall scheme of things, but that will go away with time. This is a beer that is fun to drink now, it's definitely an experience, but is something to put in a hole in the ground until 2025, dig it up, and you're going to have an incredible elixir.

Halcyondays, Apr 02, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

11.2 oz bottle for $12.99 am i nuts?? Best before 12/14/19 ha.

Almost totally void of light, only a slight bit is seen around the edges in direct light. a slow pour appears pretty heavy with a brown mocha head, forms...spazes out a bit and settles in with plenty of foam around. As the liquid swirls my view from above looks much like a photo of the earth from the moon. a relaxed, aged look but not flat.

A really big aroma here, chocolate brownies, tangy cranberries along with a vodka-heat, herbal sharpness with the jasmine, a bit of wet cardboared, slightly sweet, huge complexity, chalky, grainy, gritty earthy aroma too and a bit of old leather.

A big and sweet chocolate malty taste, cranberries and a sharp tang effect from the combo of alcohol heat, vodka-like taste but not very hot for 18%. The hefty malt is followed by a grainy, earthy, dry and herbal flavor that has a slighty fruity-sweet edge, the hops are earthy, bitter to provide good balance believe it or not! this is a very unique stout, rightously balanced but a bit thin in flavor and feel in the middle, the heft goes away and becomes more medium-bodied with a dry LONG and slick finish. This slight weakness at the end will improve as this one gets older, I see this one maturing very well.

Sip, sip, sip...stretch this one out!! Get your money worth out of this puppy!!

GratefulBeerGuy, Apr 01, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

My bottle says Tokio*, but I'm assuming it's the same beer. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Hard pour yields a on finger tan head that quickly becomes a bubbly splotchy layer of foam concentrated on the edge of the glass. Dark brown to the point of blackness. Little bits of lacing pulled down by nice legs. Pretty impressive for the abv. Agitation brings back a half finger of head that settles in a mostly uniform layer of foam concentrated towards the edge of the glass.

The smell is intensely sweet in a syrupy/dark fruit way. Picking up the jasmine and cranberry. Some licorice. Definitely some alcohol. The smell alone was somewhat overly sweet.

Intense dark fruit. Jasmine, cranberry, plumbs and figs. Licorice that is pretty intense as well. Maple syrup. A hint of oak and vanilla. Bitterness that seems to come from the cranberries. Some resin-y hops. Alcohol is pretty well hidden, but noticeable. Somewhat cloying and too sweet for me.

On the high end of medium bodied, surprisingly only semi-viscous/syrupy. Medium carbonation, tight and fairly assertive bubbles. Slightly hot in the mouth and on the way down.

Pretty drinkable for the abv (18.2, what a doozy), however the taste is kinda of cloying despite an attempt at balance with some bitterness. Reminded me of Bell's Batch 9000 in some respects. If you like Batch 9000, then maybe worth a try.

Honestly, I'm starting to lose my interest in Brewdog. Their prices are high, and most of their beers I've tried (with the exception of some of the Paradox series) don't justify the purchase price.

billshmeinke, Mar 30, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

A: This one pours a deep very dark brown color. It is very opaque but not quite black. There is an aggressive yet poorly retained tan colored head atop the beer.

S: Chocolate and tangy cranberry come through on the nose... smells very nice. I keep going back in for another sniff... not too hot on the nose there is a mild boozy quality with a little vanilla present too but i would never guess just from the smell that this beer is 18.2%

T: rich coco is the first thing that grabs my palate. wow this is actually very balanced and quite good... I cannot believe how well the alcohol is hidden! there is a burning after taste which lingers but the flavors are not disrupted by the strength. I don't get very much fruit but i suppose there is a little going on.... not quite as much complexity as id like to have. But there is a nice thing going on here I like this beer! Im excited to age one!

M: Excellent!!! very high points... velvety and prickly all at once... also this beer has an extremely long finish bonus!

D: very high points for the abv!

flannelman808, Mar 27, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Had this on-tap at the Goat. I missed the brewers, but managed to score some of the goodness they brought.

Appearance- Very deep brown. A hint of chestnut. But, almost black. Only 1/4 inch of tan head. Little bit of mocha head. It caps nicely. Minimal lacing.

Smell- Boozy raisins. Seriously. Smells like a rum fruit cake. It's hot, for sure.

Taste- Sweet chocolate off the bat. It's boozy and hot. But it settles down as you get used to it. Tastes like sweet cherries and whisky. It's like a digestif. Whisky + beer = interesting.

Mouthfeel- Fairly thin. I expected more body.

Drinkability- It's a big, hot beast. It tastes every ounce of the 18%. I've had beers of this strength that really hid the fact, but this one does not.

Initially, I thought it was a poor experience. But as I got used to it, I began to appreciate that it was surprisingly smooth. And certainly interesting. I thought it was hard to finish a small pour, but when it was gone I almost wanted another. Definitely interesting, and definitely worthwhile.

callmescraps, Mar 26, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Turns up a one finger medium looking tan head with decent retention. Black body, though it's relatively thin and clear for the big ABV, with basically no carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a wisp and a ring. Only the ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the sides. A little lack luster, and not quite thick enough for what it is.

SMELL: Roasted malts are there, with some dark chocolate notes too. A bold bourbon presence with some oak notes and hints of vanilla. A nice bold nose with some well integrated boozy qualities.

TASTE: Roasted malts with heavy bourbon notes and alcohol all over the place. Some oak shows through with hints of bitter chocolate at the finish. The aftertaste is bold and longer lasting with some hop bitterness and caramel sweetness, as well as lots of bourbon and booze. A very boozy imperial stout; lots of heat.

PALATE: Thinner body and kind of airy. Not creamy or smooth enough, goes down decent but with lots of heat and a good alcohol scratch at the finish. Feel wasn't what it needed to be for this. Not quite awful, but close.

OVERALL: This one just didn't work out for me. The taste profile was pretty big, but there was far too much booze and heat than there needed to be. The booze was just too dominating. Combine that with a relatively thin and airy body, and this one was a chore to drink. The nose was enticing and the taste profile showed some real promise, but perhaps a few years on it will mellow out the alcohol and make it more enjoyable. Moreover, a bigger body to compliment the bold taste profile would go a long way in helping this one. I have another bottle, but I think I'll sit on it for a while and hope it mellows out.

Jeffo, Mar 22, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brackish brown with a light white head.

Light chocolate a sweet malt in the nose, a little bit of dark fruit.

Intense sweet malt, intense sweet, little bit of dark chocolate and malt behind all the sweetness.

Desserty, and a sipper, glad I got to try it not sure I want anymore.

SShelly, Mar 21, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours very dark with some foam
S: Can smell a bit of chocolate in the nose
T: Interesting mix of sweetness and other flavors with a chocolate aftertaste
M: Very full bodied beer; the alcohol is evident, but more like that in a 10% abv beer
D: There's no way anyone could plow through these; it's a night cap beer to sip and next to a fireplace

metter98, Mar 14, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours an opaque brown color. A two finger, wispy, tan head forms with good retention. Impressive for the high alcohol content.
S: Sweet malt and chocolate. A light fruity aroma lingers. Nothing much in the nose. Kind of bland.
T: Sweet malt with brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate up front. A sweet fruitiness linger that is slightly bitter. Is that the cranberries? Some alcohol as well. Interesting.
M/D: A medium body and thin, in a relative way for a RIS. Really, not hard to drink considering the alcohol. There is a bit of hotness towards the finish, but does not overpower at all.

This is probably the best Brewdog I have had so far. The flavors meld well together, and it is not over barring hot alcohol. For the massive ABV, this is pretty drinkable. Not bad at all. I don't know if I will get this again because of the price tag, though worth at least one try.

champ103, Mar 09, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Had to open this guy after Rip Tide let me down so much. Can this brew redeem the Dog?
Pours a cloudily opaque black-brown with a highly transitory head of tan bubbles that leaves no lacing at all behind. There's a heavy pall of alcohol in the nose covering notes of oak, coffee, caramel, and roasted malts. This pattern is renewed on the tongue, as notes of vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, and roasted dark malts are o'ercovered by a heavy alcohol burn. Luckily this burn rolls in after the other flavors have a chance to grab hold of the tongue, but they are nearly forced off the cliff when the ill wind starts a-blowin'. Things look better in terms of the body, which is a nice bit o' husky with active carbonation and a relatively smooth texture. Unfortunately, the drinkability takes a good hit with the alcohol and its burn, which turn this brew into a languidly slow sipper. I must say that this is indeed a step up from the Rip Tide, but not much of one; the Paradoxes stand head-and-shoulders above them both. Still, an admirable attempt and an intriguing could-have-been.

TMoney2591, Mar 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Max's today. Have to say I was bit surprised to see this on tap here today.

The beer pours the expected blackish brown color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. The nose is definitely pretty boozy, with a pronounced nose of coffee, chocolate and calvados. This beer smells as if it's seen some serious barrel aging (which I assume it has). Regardless of the abv., there's no getting around that this beer smells pretty good. The flavor profile is profound, and reminds me somewhat of the World Wide Stout (including the alcoholic kick in the finish). This stout is pretty sweet, but with a considerable amount of vanilla, cherry, chocolate and coffee. There's also a bit of an alcoholic burn in the finish, but given the abv., that's hardly a surprise. Mouthfeel is full, intensely rich, and very long. It doesn't have that mouthfeeling creaminess I like to see in bettter stouts, but is still pretty impressive. Drinkability is the one area where this beer completely falls apart. The alcohol is very noticeable in this beer, and the sweetness only adds to it. While delicious, I found myself starting to wince each time I took a sip (of course, I do the same thing every time I try something by Cantillon).

Interesting beer... but not one I'm sure I can ever see myself ordering again.

John_M, Feb 27, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Nose is malty sweet with significant alcohol, rich roasted chocolate, and some spicy floral tones. Smells quite good.

Pours very black, clear, moderate head with good bit of last for the abv. Looks good.

Dark, rich, and stoutish yet ripe with spicy alcohol. Odd fruit character, must be the cranberry, which adds significant and pleasant depth. Good bit of sweetness. Soft cola character - in body mostly, with less carbonation. Slight tartness. Mostly dark malt and alcohol. Tastes good. Feels quite good. Good drinkability.

Nice. One of the better BrewDogs I've tried.

MrHungryMonkey, Feb 24, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good hefty sipper, a bit too obvious on the boozy profile and short on the fruitiness but with a fair range.

Presentation: 10 oz draft serving. Menu notes style, country, serving temp (48º), and Alc. by Vol. (8.2%). Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour with brown edges, minimal head and retention, no surface memory or lace.

S - Slightly perfumy, which might be the jasmine but it is not evident with a tiny fruity note, and alcohol pulling the malt.

T - Dark fruits, sweet malts with a predominant boozy structure.

M - Medium-full body with a slightly sticky finish, and a warming alcohol rhythm.

D - Nice sipper, the alcohol does not hinder so much the drinkability as a bit of a dull note in the sense that it feels like it could reach a more pronounced character.

Notes: Too similar to some hefty offerings but while decent at times it feels a bit too generic despite the rich mix of ingredients. Brewdog is riding the hype quite a bit but they can do better than this.

Daniellobo, Feb 23, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Beer on tap at a local beer bar. My wife ordered this and we shared it. Beer is black with a brown thin head made up of big soapy bubbles. There is some lacing on the glass but I can't see any carbonation. It looks fine (served in a snifter btw).

I did not look at the menu until after I took a sniff of this beer. I immediately asked my wife what the ABV was, 18.2 %. Shit. The beer kind of smells like nail polish remover. Its sweet and really really hot. Lots of alcohol in the nose. Really knocked me over and made me fearful to drink it. Bring on the extreme.

Beer is primarily sweet and thin. The description on the menu says that it was made with jasmine and cranberries. If you say so Brewdog, I don't get any of that and I'm usually pretty good at picking stuff out like that. Drinkability is fine for such a giant beer but mouthfeel is too thin and there's not a lot going on in the taste department. The liquor quality of this beer overwhelms any subtly and any flavors you may have wanted / been expecting.

I didn't order this beer but it represents a "new" trend in brewing and by brewers, especially this brewer and others like DFH. Bigger isn't always better, more ethanol doesn't make you some brewing genius. How about a session beer everyone? How about something with some flavor other than malt and ethanol? How about making a beer with cranberries and making the cranberries the star? I'm sick of it.

drabmuh, Feb 05, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

1/24/2010

12oz bottle shared by John (wetherel). Thanks! The beer is dark brown with a small light brown head. The nose is of molasses, dark fruits, cola, peat, oak, and a little chocolate. The taste is of peaty dark fruit chocolate oak with a big brown sugar midpalate section and a high level of booze heat. It's reminiscent of a liqueur. The mouthfeel is smooth and viscous. Tokyo* is a sweet and alcoholic sipper.

HopHead84, Jan 26, 2010