Tokyo* - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.20% ABV

Beer added by: PartyBear on 08-29-2009

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle spells it "Tokio*". Batch 002, best before date of 14/12/19. Label reads: "intergalactic fantastic oak aged stout: malt beverage brewed with cranberries and jasmine".

This is a damn good Imperial Stout. I was skeptical about whether I'd enjoy it due to the super-high abv. Lately it seems that some brewers just go to extremes to get the hype and sell more beer, and the quality often suffers. Not so with Tokio. Thick and rich, very enjoyable as a dessert (or on it's own too I'm sure, I just happen to be enjoying one after a big pasta dinner).

A: Pours pitch black with a surprisingly thick head for a high abv brew. Lacing is minimal.

S: The aroma at first was a little bit funky, oaky, and not terribly pleasant. However, as it warms the cranberries and roasted malt aromas start to shine through. The alcohol aroma is well hidden.

T: Rich, roasted malts and dark fruit. The cranberries are detectable, but blended nicely with coffee/chocolate flavors. The taste is like chocolate covered raspberries. Very pleasant. As with the aroma, the alcohol is very well masked.

M: Thick and a little bit sticky. Little bit of an burn from the alcohol in the back of the through, but pretty smooth overall.

D: For the style and the high abv it is extremely drinkable. Definitely a sipper, and to be consumed in moderation, but delightfully enjoyable after a heavy meal as a dessert. (1,395 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%

Appears a dark, dark black, with dark caramel around the edges. Pours like a liquor, no head whatsoecer

This beer smells incredible. Dark roasted flavors & plums dominate, with a hint of booze. My wife says it smells like umeshu, a Japanese plumwine!

The taste matches the smell. A sweet, sultry mouthfeel gives way to the alcoholic burn, then waves of dark fruit follow. The flavor gets more intense as the beer warms. You gotta man up for this one.

Overall, this is a great offering by the nuts over at Brewdog. Keep it coming! (532 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%

11 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours pitch black with a minor crimson tint when held up to the light. Frothy tan head that fades to light lacing around the outside of the glass.

Smells like alcohol, dark chocolate, and roasted malt. Maybe caramel or molasses and more alcohol.

Tastes really sweet and fruity. Syrup, brown sugar, chocolate, oak flavors and a lot of hot alcohol lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is strong and heavy with very light carbonation. Very sweet and warm with booze.

Overall is a great beer and really drinkable for such a strong abv beer. I love this beer and I say at $12 it's worth the price. (634 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured on-tap at the Green Dragon, Portland, OR.

A - The color is a deep mahogany with a small cream colored head lacing.

S - The smell is overpowering making you think, "what did I get myself into here." The smell of alcohol hides any taste expectations to come.

T - Sour cherries, molasses, some smoke, and surprisingly not as much booze as you expect from the smell.

M - The mouthfeel takes a sip to get used to due to the acidity but after that it is amazingly drinkable for 18.2% and delicious.

O - This is a great unique beer and I'm extremely happy I walked into. This is a must try for anyone who indulges in this style of beer. It doesn't compare to anything

Cheers to BrewDog for another successful extreme beer venture. (741 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Pours a three finger brown head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Good carbonation and heavy bodied. Black color, no highlights, some yeast left in bottle. Dark fruit, alcohol nose and flavor is molasses, dark fruit and alcohol. Nice IS. Best by Dec 2019, couldn't wait! Expensive at $13.95 for a 330ml bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH. (367 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

A – Dark chocolate brown with cola highlights. Creamy cap of khaki foam has low-to-moderate retention and low lace.

S – Nose is sweet and surprisingly supple. Maple syrup, molasses, raisins, and milk chocolate.

T – Opens with an interesting interplay of textures: a silky body overlaid with warm booze and lively carbonation. Cream and caramel emerge from the warmth to take center stage over a back drop of charred oak. Milk chocolate, brown sugar, and raisins lead a sweet center before the alcohol resurges to showcase raw wood and jasmine. The botanicals mellow out the sweetness through a light maple syrup finish.

M – Boozy warmth with a creamy texture.

O – Complex, with well executed balance and restraint. Pour 2-3oz servings from a chilled bottle into a wide bodied snifter as you drink it; keeping the bulk of the contents cool as you warm each serving to just under room temperature as you enjoy them throughout the night.

P – Outrageous pairings with seared steak, authentic Mexican mole, pulled pork, lamb shank, venison, creamy blues like gorgonzola dolce, or sweet deserts like flan, crème brulee, cheese cake, and dark chocolate cakes. (1,171 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Tokio pours a midnight black with a firm beige finger of foam leaving more "legs" than lacing. Nose is bourbony booze, oak, vanilla caramel, along with nougat, dusty spiceand roasted malts. The taste hits you with pleasant booze, dark chocolate, red fruit, spice and more bourbon barrel. Finishes warming with a nice tannic grip and a balancing acidity. I wanted to hate this beer and really enjoyed, my ba palate is not completely tuned but this ba stout is my favorite so far which is amazing at this abv. (507 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%

Shared with Cavery. Poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Darkest red possible with an impressive head that only lasts seconds. The beer looks like an alcohol bomb.

S: Hot whiskey with cloves, juniper and jasmine invading the nostrils. Intensity seems to be the backbone.

T: Sweetness! Sweetness dominate this with honey and syrup but no heaviness or sugar overload. Shockingly over the top on the sweetness with no negativity about it. Barbecue sauce and plums in the aftertaste. Incredibly original and amazingly flavorful for the ABV! Brewdog has really surprised me with this one.

M: With this ABV I think you can't expect much with the mouthfeel. Even with that said, the mouthfeel was much better than I imagined it would be. Carbonated but creamy.

O: Such an unexpected delight. Brewdog doesn't fear its critics and it shows. This is an amazing beer, embodying boldness, courage, and extremity. How they could go so extreme in ABV but so extreme in the opposite direction with such a sweet taste is beyond me. I would absolutely have this again and hold it high against the classic 'greats' out there. (1,105 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%

Had a 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The first thing I noticed upon opening the bottle was the overwhelming scent. It smelled very strongly of Whiskey (Jack Daniels probably), presumably from the oak chips.
A- Poured with a 1 finger head reduced to a thin, nicely laced head. Overwhelmingly dark, almost entirely opaque. Could only see the tiniest bit of red around the edge.
S- Strong whiskey scent, I was quite partial to it. Bit of soy sauce.
T- The oak is apparent in it's taste. Hint of jasmine is there. Couldn't really pinpoint the cranberry. There wasn't much to mask the flavor of the alcohol.
M- Carbonation was perfect. Brought out the flavor without overpowering it. Warming (and it would be at 18.2 percent
O- I was stunned at the first sip and the finish followed through. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. (827 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter. The color is an opaque dark brown with a thick tan head; a classic looking stout. The smell features malt, chocolate, and dark fruit. There is also something very sweet - vanilla or brown sugar. You can also smell the alcohol. It is a strongly fragrant beer. The first taste to hit you is the cranberry; this may be the sweetest stout I've ever sampled. You also taste the maltiness. There is absolutely no bitterness but the alcohol burn hits hard. It has a pleasant mouth feel. Overall, this is a stout lover's delight. I just wish the AVB were lower. This packs a wallop! It also dents the wallet at $12.99 for a 12 oz. bottle. I'm glad I tried it and wouldn't turn it down in the future, but it's a bit over the top to be part of my regular rotation. (790 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

poured into duvel tulip

A: pouring it looks like strong coffee in color, in glass its brown black, not as dark as many other RISs. also the head was a bit lacking, only a finger thick brown and didnt last very long.

S: coffee is first noticed, followed by cranberry and chocolate. there is the very noticeable alcohol.

T: cranberry sweetness and coffee are first, then chocolate of dark roasted malt. the cranberry gives a nice balance to the coffee and chocolate. the alcohol is very noticeable as well.

M: not as thick as other imperial stouts, it is thick and coating, low carbonation.

D: more like "sippability" very boozy, flavors are well balanced and the cranberry plays well with the coffee and chocolate. only odd thing is the bottle is spelled TokIo* (768 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

I got this beer at the recommendation of the guy at Spec's a couple weeks ago. He "warned" me as I was picking it up that it was over $10 a bottle...and I felt like "duh"...a beer this huge that has made it over the water costs that much just to meet cost. Anyway, I guess this guy has a lot to learn about the business of beer...so let's hope that his palate doesn't need as much work...

Appearance: The beer looks really dark in the glass, but as I was pouring it I could see that the beer itself was actually quite clear with a deep red tint. There isn't a whole lot of head on the beer, but the foam is in there...almost menacingly. Every time I swirl the beer or put it down or something, the foam will rise up to about 1/8" and then fade back down into the beer as if it is some kind of "hexed" brew that is alive and just waiting for a chance at my gullet. Interesting...I have never thought to be intimidated by a beer before, but this is almost what I would call "beer attitude". Extremely Nice!

Aroma: My initial impression of the aroma what that it was hugely complex and something that I am going to have to evaluate over a long period of time. There is dark fruit galore, along with a plethora of alcoholic spicy notes. Dark sweet toffee, and liquorish are hard to miss along with everything else. I don't really get any hops to speak of, except for that subtle quality that you get in some of the Belgian Strong Darks that is subtly fruity and floral but let the malt be the showcased element. Overall, that is a very nice addition to this already bold and complex beer. As the beer is starting to warm there is an aromatic that is really huge that I just can't put my finger on and will probably have to go back and read a bunch of reviews after this to find out what it is...but it is really nutty...like a toasted pecan or something like that...maybe almond butter?...Hell, I don't know but the aroma is really complex to say the least.

Taste: Now this is a bold beer! The first part of the flavor profile is hugely malty and almost syrupy sweet, but then there is this alcoholic attenuated and almost solventy punch that kicks the daylights out of your palate a few seconds after the sip and warms you up into the finish. The finish itself has lots of sweet dark candy with hints of coffee and chocolate with some pepper from the alcohol and a clearly defined warming that sits on your palate and doesn't have any intention of leaving anytime soon. Man, this flavor is complex! The toasted pecans and nutty notes come out in the flavor as well, but it really comes across as a dessert. Somehow among all of this hodge-podge of flavor that is going on, the beer ends up being medium to full bodied with ample carbonation. I can't recall when I have had a beer this big with this approachable of a mouthfeel. Of course, you have to subtract from the drinkability as you shouldn't be able to "slam" a 18+% ABV beer...but I would say that this beer would score as high as you can, considering.

Opinion: Well, I can say that I have been blown-away by this beer! It is incredible and one of the better ones that I have reviewed to date. I would say that this beer is better suited in the Belgian Strong Dark category as that is where the flavors lean toward. Either way, this holds up to some of the greatest beers that I have had in my life and that is the 1000's by this point (Logged over 700 in BA). Even though this is one of the best beers that I have tried, I can't score it much above where I am because I think of the "all 5's" as being the "holy grail". This beer is close, but I would consider the "ultimate" beer to be next to an orgasm. This beer is NOT an orgasm, but damn-it, it is a very well crafted brew and one of the best I have had in a long time. The short and sweet it that I will definitely be drinking this beer again, so I guess the Spec's guy knew "what was up" with this one.

Batch #4 - Best Before 24/03/20 (3,952 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Wasn't too sure what to expect when I finally tried this last night. But it has complexity, depth and flavour which I'd not experienced in any beer prior eh. Not even other imperial stouts like Pranqster or high-end IPA's even come close. Obviously not a session beer due to high ABV but worth a try. (300 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Bottle, 330 ml. Wow, this is a great one. Brown-black colour, pours a dark red head, that doesn't hold much. Smell of coffee, figs, pepper, vanilla, licorice, with toasted notes, maybe wood... and pure alcohol, maybe too much ethanol. Thick body, it seems to "weight" in your tongue, and dumb it. Taste is the same of smell, plus oranges and definitely wood. Maybe too agressive, even more when it warms, but a pleasure to your senses. It may be hard to drink for most people, even for beer lovers, but it's really great. (521 characters)

330ml bottle 18,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Batch 10.
BB: 04/04/2022

I was really in the mood for a massive beer today, so I cracked open my last Tokyo* - I hope its as good as I remember.

Appearance: Hmmmm, I thought high alcohol content was meant to kill head formation, retention and lacing? Brewdog clearly lost their rule book!
Pitch black body (there is a tiny hint of red at the bottom of the glass when backlit), topped by a massive, creamy, tan coloured head that displays good retention and leaves great lace.

Smell: As should be expected from an 18% beer the nose is absolutely massive. Mountains of dark fruit (raisins, currents, plums), lots of port, sweet molasses, charred notes, a little chocolate, burned Christmas cake and distinct toasted oak note. There is some alcohol noted in the nose, but it is very pleasant.

Taste: Absolutely delicious! The flavour is pretty sweet with the perfect amount of bitterness in the finish. Sweet molasses, dark fruits, port, light oak, charred notes, dark chocolate, dark rum and a very faint herbal hop character are all noted. The alcohol is very well hidden, warming and a light rum flavour is all that shows of the 18%.

Mouthfeel: Wow this seems quite a lot fuller than I remember. Full body, quite sticky with mild, smooth carbonation.

Overall: Stunning beer; I love these big stouts and this is one of the best. I will certainly continue to buy this in the future.
On a side note, my mother loved this beer! She is not a drinker, but oddly loves these massive beers! (1,571 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

This beer was a very dark black color with a tan colored head on it. The head last for a good amount of time despite the abv. The smell of the beer was roasted, boozey, it had a fantastic herbal spice to it and a hoppy aroma in there too. The taste of the beer was really complex, there was some dark chocolate, some herbal spices the cranberry was hidden, and some hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was pretty thick and had a good carbonation. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this stout, a really good brew. (521 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a really good beer considering the really high ABV, and is hard to accurately rate due to that fact in my opinion. If you like high ABV IPA's/ Stouts, then you should try this. If you like pilsners/wheat beers/light beers, then I'd say you probably won't like this. Its boozy, complex,and in my opinion worth the $12.00 USD price tag for a 12 oz bottle ( only once I might add). (386 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a snifter

A: This brew is almost pitch black with just a hint of brown when held up to a light. There is no head or lacing to speak of, although there was about half a finger of large brown bubbles during a vigorous pour which disappeared within seconds of finishing the pour.

S: The first thing I notice and the backbone of the smell are roasted malts and molasses. This quickly gives way to a medley of scents including oak, licorice, dark fruits, coffee and, last but certainly not least of all, alcohol.

T: There are so many flavors going on here that it’s hard to get them all put down. There is a moderately strong oak flavor and a very powerful taste from the alcohol which combine to give the beer an interesting spiciness. The roasted malts I noticed in the smell are here again but milder, acting more as a platform for bitter dark chocolate and coffee flavors. This is balanced a bit by some fruits. There is definitely the more standard group of dark fruit flavors that one finds in imperial stouts, but I can also make out some lighter fruit flavors, likely from the added cranberries. Also adding to the sweetness are notes of vanilla and maybe even a little bit of bourbon. There is a noticeable amount of hops that add a light floral flavor. The finish is long, bitter, and heavy on the coffee, hops and especially the alcohol.

M: Pretty thick without being syrupy or unpleasant. Though it seems like there is next to know carbonation, there are some light small bubbles with give an enjoyable effervescence which complements the spicy burn of the alcohol.

O: A fantastic brew but not for the faint of heart. This cost me 13 dollars for an 11.2 ounce bottle and it was worth every penny. I’ll probably be buying two more bottles to cellar. I think cellaring might help temper the strong alcohol flavor and make it easier and more pleasant to drink. (1,911 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

batch: indistinguishable
best before: 04-04-21

poured into brandy snifter. Minimal head to be expected from a 18.2% abv. No lace in the traditional sense. Lots of tiny bubbles that cling to the glass. A bunch of dots. Strange. Interesting.
Aroma is wonderful. Like a good brandy only better if you like complexity. Lots of flavors especially chocolate build expectations of things to come.
Liked the taste a lot. A very good sipping beer. Don't want it to end.
Mouthfeel? No problem here. Extends the overall experience nicely. No cloy. Nothing to detract - except for the quick buzz.
Given its limited release, I only hope I can snag a few more of these if I get the opportunity. (681 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours thick midnight black with rich coffee head. smelly pretty strongly of alcohol as is to be expected, also a lot of floral smell some hops and cranberry. Very very sweet flavor, not what I was expecting at all, super high alcohol taste and huge barley flavors. This one bombards the taste buds and I am very impressed, I know that BrewDog is known for their outlandish brews and I though this would be one, and I must say that this has caught me off guard as have all their other beers. I really like the treat of having a BrewDog when I can. It still is quite hard to down because it is so strong. (602 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

• 12.26.14 – Boxing Day, Chelsea win
• 4.5 - Look - Slightly translucent with a red / brown color that surprised me as I was thinking of this beer as a stout – and given the ABV, thought it would be more of a sludgy black, limited head and lacing, but there is some
• 4.25 - Smell - Can’t get much smell but never really can
• 4.25 - Mouthfeel – Chewy, not overly thick or thin, just well balanced, low carbonation
• 4.75 - Taste – Tasty and sweet, I got raisins and figs out of this one more along the lines of a quad, rather than a stout. There was a hint of some darker roasty malts but there is really less stout character in this beer than there is quad or barley wine. Lots of alcohol burn – but not as much as one might expect for the strength – enough to let you know it’s there, but not enough to be overpowering. Just right.
• 4.75 – Overall – spectacular! This is hands down my favorite Brew Dog I’ve tasted yet! (965 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: For such a high abv beer, this one sure has good head retention and lacing. Pitch black. Mocha colored head.

S: Oak-y, chocolate, dark berries way out in the open, coconut and licorice. Awesome.

T: Wood chips, dark berries, sweet milk chocolate, surprisingly light roasted malts. A pleasant dry, earthy bitterness on the aftertaste.

M: Sweet, almost bordering on cloying, but luckily never getting there. This is really 18% abv? It's not that noticeable until the very end.

O: A great beer experiment, these guys are brewing some of the best 'extreme' beers right now. (577 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%

Dark chocolate brown, inky black body. Even my table lamp can't penetrate. Very thin beige head that leaves foamy rings on the glass.

Rich, fruity bourbon; raisins; dark chocolate; wine; vanilla all linger in the scent. Winey, almost brandy-like with strong vanilla and bourbon notes. Mocha and fruit in the background. Very rich and complex. The hops aren't immediately noticeable, but they certainly lend to the intricate taste. Even at 18.2% there is a very very light alcohol burn.

Rich and thick with a very mild carbonation. An excellent dessert beer, well worth repeating if you can get it. The only real problem is the high ABV, especially since you can hardly even taste it. (685 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%

330ml bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast...

Poured almost pitch black even when held up to the light... Dirty mocha brown head poured quite very loose and bubbly and faded instantly to thin covering... light lacing..

Aroma - Very strong sweet oaky bourbon to the fore straight away, very woody and earthy, lots of fresh vanilla, roasted malts, hints of tar, cigar smokiness, rich stewed dark fruits (blackcurrents and prunes), molasses and burnt brown sugar, alcohol is just noticeable, fresh black pepper

Taste - Tons of roasted and charred malts mixed with strong molasses / black treacle sweetness followed closely by warming alcohol, lots of vanilla, liquorice, defnite cigar / tobacco smokiness, rich dark sweet fruits (black cherries, prunes, figs, raisins, blackcurrents), very earthy, espresso, light soy notes, alcohol definitely comes through, dark chocolate...

Feel - Smooth, slick and full bodied... incredibly drinkable for a 18% brew although you definitely notice the alcohol after one bottle..

Overall - An amazingly complex stout... highly recommended. By far the best Brewdog beer i've had... (1,117 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal, might be better than Guiness, destroys 2015 Miller Chill. Hint of cranberry on the nose, taste is that feeling when you find out your ex husband tripped on a banana peel and landed on a stale hot dog. Incretzi! (222 characters)

Tokyo* from BrewDog