Bashah - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Black Ale |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: PartyBear on 10-14-2009

A collaboration brew by BrewDog and Stone Brewing Co.

2.19/5  rDev -43.6%

Paid $6.00 for a 12oz bottle...after drinking this I wondered how I go scammed so badly. Imagine $64.00 USD a gallon...for beer.

I'm reviewing this as a "black belgian IPA"....so I'm trying to keep an open mind as to what a black ale and a IPA would be like.

Pours stout black, little head and little lacing.

Smells...being honest here the smell reminds me of a tire store, it has a rubberish smell (very slight but there) that seems more on the black ale versus the IPA side. Taste is strange, has some hops (nothing like some people are saying) and as if I had in fact licked a tire.

Mouthfell is ok...if you like the taste of a tire.

Drinkability is LOW on this for me, struggled to get this $6.00 bottle down the pipes. But again at this price for this beer I forced it down.

Might I ask why this beer cost $6.00?

Damnit.

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

A: Pours a pitch black color. At first a bubbly tan head slowly rises to a finger. The foam recedes in an instant, with little lace.
S: A little odd in the nose. Sweet malt that is lightly toasted. Charcoal and leather, maybe rubber? Really strange. Dank nondescript hops.
T: Sweet malt and a strange nondescript hoppy bitterness. Some charcoal that leaves a really bad aftertaste, and alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A little thin and watery though. Hot alcohol and a strange bitterness makes this hard for me to drink.

I am not a big fan of this. There is not much here, just an odd mesh of flavors. I would not recommend this, and am not that interesting. Another sub par offering from BrewDog.

2.39/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - The scents do not come together to create an overall good smell there's roasted malt that smells like rubber and hops

T - Things don't get any better in the taste department it's like I'm drinking my shoe with some citrus hops added

M - This beer has a watery body with medium carbonation to it

D - I am not impressed at all with this beer the hype train had me really wanting to like it but I'm having trouble drinking my glass of this stuff because it tastes so bad I say say away from this one

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

A black Belgian Double IPA? What, we couldn't fit an imperial stout in there too?

Black yes, but tranlucent enough to allow ruby highlights in multiple areas. Topped by a light beige ball of micro bubbly foam.

A deep sniff pulls out some roasted coffee, and maybe a hint of candy sugar. That's the black Belgian portions, where is the DIPA?

Rich roasted coffee with some melted dark chocolate coats the tongue. There is a general hoppy buzz riding the wave. But I'm not getting anything that says, much less screams, DIPA.

Enjoyable thick lush mouthfeel. Good drinkability.

A nice little imperial stout. A black Belgian Double IPA? The pieces just aren't there. A major victim of its own hype. At $6.99 for 11 ounces, it will not be revisited. And between this and Hardcore, I think I'm done with Brewdog.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.52/5  rDev -35.1%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a chestnut edge. The dark tan head and lacing is moderate, and fades to a persistent 1/8".

S- Roasted malt and chocolate are equally mingled with grapefruit/piney hops.

T- Dark over-roasted malt and oily fragrant hops. The finish is bitter and lacking in sweet balance. The char and big hops are an unappealing combination.

M, D- Medium bodied with a bitter, drying effect. For the simple reason that this beer conveyed little pleasure, I found it accordingly limited in drinkability.

2.66/5  rDev -31.4%

A sunny day on campus, quiet sneaks of a bottle while the kids rage about budget cuts. Someone hits the fire alarms, building by building, a forced walkout. We make our way to the roof and watch the dougfir sway in the sun.

This beer is confused like those kids in the square. It's yeasty, dark, smells like a barnyard, and hoppier that a yakima bootlick. It needs to grow up and see the world. Balance may come, it may cut its hair and take out those piercings, hide the tattoos and wear a sweater vest. It may, but I doubt it. Unlike those kids standing on red bricks, this beer wont last. It will leave a taste though, a pleasant one upon my palate, quiet memories of youthful transgressions and silly ideas.

Thank you brewdog, stone, and all you little hippy gals.

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hunahpu Day pour #12. Pours dark brown with big kahki head. Smells floral with a bit of citrus, hints of roast perhaps, and a little sour. Flavor is heavy scotch and dark fruits, comes in hotter than expected and not much depth in flavor. A bit boozy though only medium on the palate. Not my favorite. Blegh.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark black color with a darker tan head on it.

Smell is malty with some hops coming through. Not as much as you'd expect. Some stout-like aroma coming through.

Taste is bitter coffee. Not a great flavor. This is my first black IPA but not what I expected. Some hops in the finish but the coffee flavor is overpowering it.

Mouthfeel is very thick. Pretty heavy for an IPA but it's alright.

Overall it's ok but not one of my favorites at all.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

Beer pours the color of black olive brine. Thin and black with ruby highlights. The head is almost non-existent, consisting of only a few off white bubbles and a thin skin of foam.

Smell is quite exactly what I expected from the bottle style description. A black Belgian style double IPA. Yes, yes and yes. Strong citrus hops that are in the grapefruit family and a little flowery. Behind that are deep roasted malts.

The taste is thin like the pour. The flavor is chocolaty and a little malty but watered down. The hops all but disappear in the flavor leaving nothing but a piney residue and a dominating cheap roasted grain note. What happened?

Mouthfeel is best described as weak. This beer is a letdown from the initial nose. There isn't even a great bitterness just a recycled used hops feel. This brew tastes like an afterthought made with a bunch of spent ingredients left over from a good beer. At $6.99 a 12 ounce bottle this is one of the biggest rip offs out there. Avoid.

2.91/5  rDev -25%

pour was deep black with a light cream head

mostly muted with most barnyard funk. maybe some light chocolate and coffee.

again, mostly muted with barnyard funk really dominating. no real hop flavor and very very muted roasted malts and really no sweetness, some bitterness maybe a dark chocolate bitterness. pretty bland

medium body, medium carbonation, decent body

i thought this was a black IPA? i do not see any IPA in this at all, and NO black IPA. i would have a very hard time classifying this as a strong ale. i could not finish this, it was just too off base. give i like both of these breweries and loved the black pilsner, i was VERY let down by this.

2.91/5  rDev -25%

Overall: An interesting beer, not really what I was expecting. I don't get as much of a belgian quality as I was hoping for nor as much hop flavor. I was fairly disapointed as I was really hoping for a knock your socks off BIAP.

Appearance: Very black, completely opaque. Thin head swirled up during the pour but quickly receded with virtually no head and minor lacing.

Smell: Some coffee but mainly bittersweet chocolate. A little bit of roasted barley in the background.

Taste: A lot of chocolate, a little bit of funkiness but not enough for my tatste in something labled "belgian". A little bit of burnt malt flavor too(?), some bitterness but not enough for a double IPA and not enough hop. Not too bad a taste overall though.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin, but not crisp at all.

Drinkability: Average. I could drink more of this beer without feeling bad. But it really doesn't taste or drink like a double IPA.

2.95/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A: Black with dark brown edges when held up to the light. Thin light tan covering with virtually no lacing on the edges of a DR snifter.

S: Interesting blend of pungent grassy hops and roasted malt. Notes of dirt, brown sugar (faint), pecans.

T: Big grassy, earthy hop bite meets burnt malts. Charcoal edges combine with the hops to give an overpowering bitterness. While these flavors mesh rather seamlessly, I'm a bit bored after a few sips. Not a lot of complexity to this one.

M: Medium bodied, but rather thin considering the ABV.

D: Flavor is an interesting combination, but needs a touch of sweetness to round out the flavors. Despite the flavors, it's actually not that difficult to drink...but it's just not that interesting to drink. Especially at 8.6%.

Not sure if my palette is just off, but I'm really not getting the subtle flavors some other seem to have picked up on.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours an impressive jet black. Smells like bread, citrus, a little sour. Tastes a little watery and sour, hints of toast. My girlfriend says it reminds her of soy sauce, which I agree with just a little bit. Like a cross between a weak IPA and a stout but not very impressive either way.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Consumed Feb 7th, 2010 at Stone World Bistro.

Very dark brown with cola colored highlights. Plenty of bubbles crawling up the sides of the glass, replenishing the very fine head.

Oddly, beer has a light, sweet aroma of roast grain. Reminds me of wort. No hop presence.

Smoky, nearly burnt malt flavor. Some charcoal. Woody and bitter on the finish. Porterlike. Again, no hop presence.

Thick in the mouth.

Not really a fan of this one; there's really nothing to balance the smoke and charcoal. Hops must have died in the time since beer was packaged, though I'd expect it to have lasted longer. Come on, I drank it AT Stone on draft!

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

12oz bottle poured into cervoise.

A - Pours a nice dark black with dark brown edging against the light. Nice light tan head retention and good lacing

S - Bitter piney hops with a nice coffee roast. Some belgian yeast like smell as well. A roasty smoke is also present

T - What? Did I just drink firepit coals? This beer tastes like ash. However, the piney hops do come through a bit at the end in an attempt to save this one, hardly is working though.

M - Good carbonation, medium, drying

O - The ash flavour totally took away from this one but there is some good hop balance hidden in there. Will not be having this one again.

Bottle: Poured a deep clear black color ale with a medium size dark brown foamy head with average retention. Aroma of roasted malt is more powerful and dry then expected. Taste is dominated by dry roasted malt notes with light subtle coffee notes. Body is somewhat light with OK carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I can’t say I was truly impressed by that one – hops profile was more subdued then expected and dry roasted malt was overly dominant.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It poured a very dark, almost black color but with very little to no head. I usually expect Belgian-style beers to be quite carbonated (due to the bottle conditioning) so I started pouring carefully. But when there were no bubbles I tilted glass back upright and just went right down the middle. Even then I still got a very small head, about 1/8″. There is almost no lacing.

After it was poured, I tried like hell to get some aroma out of it. I don’t know if I’m stuffed up or what but I got almost no aroma, other than beer, and even then it is faint. Not a good sign for something that claims to be a double IPA, let alone something from Stone. I would expect a face full of hops here.

The initial taste is actually quite good. You get a some bright hop flavor at the front, which gives way to a more roasted taste in the middle. As the beer finishes, you swear you’re drinking a porter, with a pronounced coffee aftertaste. There is little to no “Belgian” in the flavor. I like a beer that has different flavors like this.

As the beer warms up though, it really starts to shine. The hops become a little more pronounced and what I assume to be a Belgian yeast strain starts to come out more. The flavors become more intense but also more blended. (Does that make sense? It does to me.) At this point the 8.6% abv starts to make its presence known as well. The aroma becomes a bit stronger too. But then, as it continues to warm, nearing room temperature, the flavors start to soften and become even more muted than at the beginning. Or maybe my taste buds are starting to become desensitized. Either way the middle third was the sweet spot on this one.

The mouthfeel of the bashah is not that of your typical double IPA. It’s not nearly as viscous or resiny. That’s not to say the beer is bad, just not typical. Again, there is little to no carbonation present.

According to the label, the beer was bottled on 12/25/10. But that doesn’t sound quite right as all the web research I could find had this being brewed in August 2009. Moreover, nothing I could find online says anything it being aged at the brewery or being brewed on more than one occasion. Additionally, it was made with 7500 kg of hops, as you can see in the “recipe” BrewDog posted. But the hops just aren’t there. This all leads me to think the date on the label is wrong. Assuming I’m right, the age on the bottle would explain how hops have mellowed. Another interesting tidbit is the bottle is 11.2 fluid oz. I was cheated out of .8 oz of beer! Must be a Euro thing.

Overall, this is a good beer, but not a great beer. It just seems to be trying to be too many things. Is it a Belgo-IPA? Is it a DIPA? Is it a Black IPA? Either way, it doesn’t do any of it all that well. The Black IPA or Cascadian Dark American Ale or American Black Ale or whatever the hell you want to call it style is very trendy right now. But it’s a style that doesn’t seem to deliver very often in my opinion. They don’t generally have any balance. It’s either all toasted malt or just it just takes like an IPA. The idea of Black IPA really intrigues me. But the execution is often lacking. This would be an example of such a beer coming up short. Again, that’s not to say it’s a bad beer. It just misses what I think is its intended mark.

Bashah from BrewDog