Tactical Nuclear Penguin - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  32.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2009

Made by freezing Paradox to remove water.

Appearance: Brown and syrupy with "legs" running down the walls of the glass.
Aroma: Acrid. Unnaturally concentrated peat smoke. Solvent-like alcohol that'll curl your nose hairs.
Taste: Like chewing on the ashes of a peat-moss fire and washing it down with a shot of turpentine.
Overall: The only thing recommending the purchase of this beer is that you too get to take part in the "Highest Alcohol Percentage Wars." Most of my bottle went into a batch of vinegar. A delicious cider/lambic/peat-smoke vinegar--yum! (516 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -69.4%

Thanks (I think) to danielnovak3 for the share. Served in a mini taster snifter.

A: The pour is completely still with no head. It has the appearance of dark rum.

S: Ash trays, permanent marker, hard liquor and dark fruits. Simply stunning.

T: The taste is burning wood, embers, ash tray, hard liquor, burnt hair and salty leather.

M: Thin, extremely hot and down right horrible.

O: This now hold the distinction of the worst beer I've ever had. This is a complete gimmick and should never be brewed again. (510 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -65.9%

One of the worst experiences ever. There is a question: Is it still a beer? One of my friends told me, it tastes like soya sauce, but it is quite expensive soya sauce. Every components in TNP are over the top. It is too much alcoholic, bitter, coffee-like something which is really far from regular beer. (304 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -65.6%

Thanks to dpuia for sharing a 375ml bottle of this hyped-up beer on 2/1/11. Let's see how this turns out...

A - Emerged from the bottle as a menacing reddish brown murky mess with no head or carbonation, but plenty of oozy "leggings" (aka clear lacing) all over the glass.

S - Aroma is not appetizing at all. AT ALL. Some things that come to mind? Here's a list: beef jerky, dog treats, soy sauce, wet dog food and old shoes. Wow. I am afraid to put this in my mouth!

T - Oh my God! This is literally alcoholic soy sauce, or even moreso akin to Worcestershire sauce with rancid meat. TNP exhibits perpetual alcohol burn on the palate. Awful, or as the British might say... dreadful! I wish I could give this score a "zero". This is dis-freakin'-gusting!

M - Medium bodied with an oily, slick texture. Alcohol burn is akin to rubbing alcohol.

D - This beer had me longing for a Bud Chelada chaser! We saved this for the last beer of the night, and we actually had to drink something else (AleSmith Decadence) to get the flavor off our palates. To quote Bubbles: "You can barely get 'er in ya, but my fuck it'll get you some drunk!"

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"It smells like a box of old shoes." (1,204 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -63.3%

From notes.

It's 9am on Dark Lord Day, and I've been sharing bottles with people in line around me for about an hour. One of them decided to show his gratitude by opening his bottle of TNP and approaching me: "Hey, I really appreciate you sharing with us this morning. Try some of this!" He then drizzled a small pour into my tasting glass and awaited my thoughts on the brew.

Now, TNP is a beast I actively avoided for the longest time: I despise the base beer and haven't liked a single beer from BrewDog, ever. So although I was pretty sure this would cause my taste buds to cry mutiny -- not to mention that drinking a 32% beer in the early hours of DLD is just a bad idea all around -- how could I decline this gesture of goodwill?

Hey, it doesn't look awful. Ruby-brownish body, a little cloudy, no head or lace. About what I expect from an extreme beer like this. However, the smell reminds me why I hesitated to accept his offer: this stuff wreaks of rubbing alcohol, overly-smoked malt, tobacco, peat whiskey, used ashtrays, and more booze. Yuck.

My first sip brings no relief from the torturous aroma. It's a mouthful of ashtrays alongside relentless, burning alcohol. To replicate the taste of TNP, place a burnt chunk of wood in the center of a large mixing bowl. Using water, rinse out a few dozen heavily-soiled ashtrays into the bowl. Add rotting forest foliage, pure ethanol, a bottle of whiskey, liquified peat moss, and refined petroleum. Give the concoction a brisk stir, take a sip, then puke your brains out. Voila! Homemade Tactical Nuclear Penguin!

All the while, this generous BA was standing in front of me, awaiting my thoughts on the beer. I forced a smile, told him it was interesting (technically true!), but said it wasn't really up my alley. If you're reading this, please know that I truly did appreciate your generosity; I just really hated this beer :)

That said, I'm not a smoker, and I strongly dislike being around cigarette & cigar smoke. I also dislike whiskey & bourbon as spirits, so if you happen to enjoy the aforementioned you may find TNP only mildly offensively bad. For the rest of us, this stuff is putrid. And on the upside, at least it's ridiculously overpriced! (2,218 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -59.5%

Got this and split it with 4 friends. I pured about 3 ounces into a snifter.

We had been wanting to try this for a while, and while 2 of my friends thought it was ok, I was highly disappointed. The one thing that makes this beer overbearing is the peat/leather/smoke smell it leave in the aftertaste. And this had nothing to do with the ABV. You could smell the beer from nearly across the room. I can taste the smoke aftertaste hours later and is just too much to ever drink more than what I had. I love many of Brewdogs beers, but this beer is just way to over the top with stuff I didn't like. I would not recommend anyone waste their money on this unless you get drawn in by the shock factor like I did. (709 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -55.5%

Thanks to Mike for sharing this bottle. Reviewed from notes from a tasting event a few weeks back.

A- Solid black, your typical mediocre looking stout. A light head which dissipates rather quickly.

S- Eeek. Smells like straight alcohol mixed with some smoked wood. I've smelled vodka that is less boozy. Hard to make out much due to the heat.

T- Blech. Tastes much like the smell. Straight booze and some smokiness. Some malt profile, but everything is overwhelmed by the booze. It was difficult to finish a 2oz pour. Some notes of port and soy, but the flavors don't work well together.

M- Again, the booziness just hits your mouth so hard. Not inviting, infact makes my mouth unhappy.

O- I had some decent expectations for this beer, but knew it was going to be interesting. There were 5 of us, and we had 12+ bottles at the tasting. We all felt that despite being the most expensive, this was the worst beer of the evening. Even if someone gifted me some, I'm not sure I'd drink it again.

-GFunk (1,004 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -53.8%

Thanks for sharing this, Nick. My curiosity has been sated.

Dark mahogany brown in the glass, not quite black; on the light side for the world's strongest stout. It pours with surprising life, an inch of light tan head topping the amber body, though it quickly dissipates entirely. Swirling reveals thick, syrupy legs not unlike a spirit or liqueur.

It smells intensely of alcohol, peat, oak, faint roast - a hell of a lot like scotch. The alcohol is punchy and plainly noticeable, but not as stinging as I was expecting. That being said, there isn't much to this beyond peat and alcohol. It's simple and unimpressive.

On the palate it's much more harsh and boozy, with flavors of smoke, peat and a touch of oak. Not terribly sweet, just brutally strong. Tarry, ashy, ridiculously alcoholic and stinging. The body is somewhat full, but not as viscous as you would expect from a beer this big. I don't get much complexity from this, and it could really use more sweetness to balance the alcohol. More anything, really - it's lacking the depth of flavor you'd get from a good Scotch. It finishes harsh and solventy, like a charcoal and nailpolish remover cocktail. Have I mentioned that this is harsh? Holy fuck, what a trainwreck. (1,232 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Pours a dark brown with no head and just a few bubbles around the rim of the glass. Smells of Tar, dark dried fruits, and sweet sugar. The taste here is wretched. A mix of rubbery tar, molasses, and fusel alcohol dominate the flavor. Some faint raisin and prune come in to play as well, but are very distant. Mouthfeel is thin, as this drinks like a spirit, not a beer. Seriously, unless someone buys you a bottle, don’t do it. Its much worse than you even thought. (467 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -49.1%

Appearance -- Pours a translucent cola brown. Completely still.

Smell -- The predominant aroma is of solvent alcohol - incredibly harsh on the nose. Beyond that, a dab of chocolate, treacle, and smoke. Strange.

Taste -- Again, the beer leads of with harsh alcohol, akin to bargain basement grain alcohol. Beyond that, there is sweet chocolate, molasses, and smoky roast malt. Really minimal residual beer 'essence' left in this beer. I'll give them this: whatever amount of smoked malt they used lent a Scotch whiskey-esque note, which probably comprises the half point's worth of what I liked in this.

Mouthfeel -- Syrupy and still. So much burning...

Overall -- Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad to have tried it. I appreciate the experimentation, but for me, this just doesn't work. Perhaps my pour was especially sovent-y as some others at the tasting thought this was the highlight. Me, I just can't fathom it.

Your mileage may vary. (941 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -48.3%

Reviewed from notes. Sampled when James came to Houston a while back, and again at a BA Stout tasting.

A: Pours a dull, nearly opaque brown color. A tiny bubbly tan head forms, and in an instant is gone. No lace, and looks dead and lifeless.
S: Not as unpalatable as I was expecting. Sweet toffee with some figs and raisins. Plenty of smoke, and of coarse alcohol.
T: This is pretty unpalatable here though. Big and boozy. Ethanol and fusel like. Moldy dry wood, smoke, ash, and rubber. Cloying sweetness and some raisins try to make its presents known.
M/D: Really weak. Not very viscous, but thin and watery. Way under carbonated as well. Do I even have to say it? Not something I ever care to drink again.

The good news is I did not have to pay for either of my two oz samples. Both times I think it was a drain poor though. What was the point of this again? As harsh and unenjoyable a beer I have had in a while. (918 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer is just an exercise in stupidity, they need to learn extreme brewing from Sam Adams Utopias and find real yeast strains instead of icing their beers like they did with this one.

The beer is dark of course and looks like a healthy stout.

It's downhill from there. The smell is ok with lots of peaty malt and burned notes dominating...

The taste is like eating a piece of charcoal thats been used, its that smoky and peaty and carbony. Yikes! Really hard to drink, it scorches your throat and mouth, totally destroys your palate with peat and not in a good scotch way, in a way over the top kind of way, gross.

Overall this beer is one to avoid if you are a serious beer drinker. (693 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -42.5%

Huge thanks to Richard for this surprise beer at a recent tasting. Batch 002 bottle best before Christmas Day 2019. Pours amber brown with a couple of bubbles but no real head to speak of. The strong alcohol does produce some legs to please the eye. I was surprised that this iced imperial stout was not pitch black but instead rather clear copper.

The aroma is immense and ridiculously full of peaty smoke and alcohol. Beyond the nearly offensive smoke lay floral notes and rum raisin. Taste is sherrylike, oxidized, sweet malts. Midpalate is warming, excessively, to a point of physical pain. Smokey, earthy, herbal, and bitter alcoholic finish. The body was spiritlike, feels like hard alcohol and the carbonation is imperceptible.

I was grateful and thrilled to sample this beer, but unable to finish even a tiny sample. Simply put, this tastes nothing like an imperial stout, or even really anything like a beer. It does not taste like a spirit, either, just smokey, sweet, and generally offensive. While Brewdog pushed some boundaries with this beer, this is the only reason it exists. Brewing a tasty beer should take precedence before breaking records, and in this respect, unfortunately, I believe this paragon of brewing has been failed. (1,251 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -36.1%

Appearance: Probably the best part here. Rich dark mahogany all the way through. Sexy viscous legs. Looks flat.

Aroma: Vanilla, charred ass, smoke, burny alcohol. Some nice barrel character lurking behind all the burnt rubber and smoke.

Taste: Charcoal, smoked meat, ferocious alcohol, peat.. Oh so much peat and phenolic gnarlyness. The lingering ghosts of imperial stouts passed. Not sweet at all.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly inoffensive. Some carbonation! Rich and oily.

Drinkability: The lowest of the low, except perhaps chelada.

Humongous novelty, that's about it. (571 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35.5%

330 ml bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 32%. Sold as "spirits / hard liquor" (40 ml shots) in Norway. Very dark reddish brown colour, nearly black. No head nor carbonation. Strong aroma of fusel alcohols, oaky and roasty notes, hints of smoke. Intense flavour of smoke, tar and salt. Moderately bitter finish. To be honest, this was not very good. (372 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -34.4%

If I am to judge this as a typical imperial stout, or even as an atypical imperial stout, then I am not impressed. Brown, not black; clear, not opaque. Headless save for the most fleeting of foam.

Barbecue. This smells like meat on a charcoal grill - but boozier. Tremendously smoky, like the most intense Highland Scotch you've ever smelled, with huge balls-out beef jerky and charred oak aromas.

Cuttingly hot, like cask-strength Irish whiskey, and yet this is only half cask strength. Odd, really - where is the body, if this is a freeze-distilled imperial stout? There are beers less than a third this strength (and price) with more body and depth (but not heat), so what gives? Baked apple, smoky bacon, leather, cocoa, and burnt coffee infused into pure grain alcohol - that's what this tastes like, and I am not particularly impressed. (844 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -34.4%

Bottle into a shot glass...Light brown, that is very watery looking, no carbonation at all, not much to look at...Incredibly strong aroma of fusel alcohol, roasty, very hot stinging my nostril, a tinge of peppers, interesting but not very good...The taste is horrendous! Its so hot, burns. Burnt alcohol and charred wood Is all I get this. There were 3 of us and we couldn't finish a 2oz pour.

I was so fascinated to try this and this is beyond terrible. I total liquor but not a good one. SKIP this. (501 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -34.1%

A: Very dark brown

S: Kinda gross, bacon, soy sauce

T: Bacon, soy sauce, ashtray

M: Like a whiskey...but surprisingly, the alcohol bite is not overwhelming

O: Wouldn't get this again. Split a bottle with some guys at work. I have to say, its impressive that they made something this strong, but it really didn't work out.

I can't say I'm very surprised... (360 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26%

How exactly do you rate these super high alcohol beers? I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't ever pay their asking price, but I also don't want to pan it as it's an interesting exercise in brewing. In terms of appearance, it's dark brown with lighter highlights and no head. Pretty good legs, I guess. The smell is sorta acrid. Bitter walnut shells and booze dominate the aroma. There's some big smoke and, maybe, caramel, but it's all just kinda odd. I was expecting it to taste more like whiskey, but it's much too dirty and rough - makes me appreciate proper distillation. Anyway, the flavor is even boozier and lacks the smoothness that I think necessary for this much alcohol. It's not awful and there's a chance it could be quite good with a long, long stay in the cellar. I'm definitely not won over to the super high alcohol beers. (833 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance:

As I pulled the black cork out of the tiny 330ml bottle there was actually a decent pop noise that came from the slender neck. As I poured the bottle in three small snifters, there was a tiny amount of carbonation that formed on the head then quickly went away which I was very surprised about. Amazingly this is not as dark as I predicted, and as it comes out it appears a very dark brown with some reddish hues thrown in. Not the typical jet black syrupy ale which most imperial stouts are. As I hold this up to the light there is no chunks or haze which makes for a beautiful presentation, and as I give a swirl there is a huge amount of lacing sliding down the walls which looks like cough syrup mixed with pancake syrup and honey.

Smell:

Wow! There is a huge nose of peated barley right of the start compounded by loads of smoky goodness that reminds me of a pit barbecue. The next aspect that really punches you in the face is the blistering alcohol heat that is almost unbearable and this really resembles more of a whiskey or scotch than any form of beer. In the finish there is some dark fruit and raisin aroma that is very faint and is overpowered by the smoke.

Taste:

I really wish you can see my face right now because this is an assault to my taste buds. All I can get peated whiskey and nothing else, besides the alcohol. There is something that lingers through that resembles wet earthy moldy wood and dark cherries. I am willing to say that this has a better base beer than the Sink the Bismarck which was entirely too hot while this at least has flavor complexity. As I keep sipping away and it warms up a bit there is a faint amount of vanilla that keeps trying to poke through but again I keep coming back to the smoke which is just too powering. I would love to try this beer if they didn't put it into the scotch whiskey casks or if they used a straight American bourbon barrel because that peated scotch is just a little to much.

Drinkability:

Overall this is a complex beer that is just not for me. There is just entirely too much smoke and burnt wood flavors going on to be enjoyable for my palate. The alcohol content is surprisingly smooth for such a high amount but don't be fooled because it still is very sharp and accents the burnt malts and roast well. I would say the drinkability is very low on this beer because it is meant to be such a slow sipper and something that needs to be shared with a friend. If you can afford the hefty price tag ($80) and don't mind smoky whiskeys this might be up your ally. I am thankful that I got the opportunity to try this beer but it will not be something that I am searching for again. (2,674 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

Tactical Nuclear Penguin is true to its name: it asserts the insanity of Mutually Assured Destruction, the cold war nuclear deterrence strategy. It, like MAD, is insane. It also cooled the alcohol-content wars that consumed Northern Europe recently.

Tastes of deep Sherry oak and smokey roasty malts and … alcohol. Lots of it. It smells like a musty living room after a major fire. Acetone. Drinking is not pleasant. But I appreciate the craftsmanship that made this beer possible.

It is exceptionally difficult to review this "beer." Arguably one of the most extreme beers is existence, it is not pleasant to taste. It is even difficult to compare it to anything I have tasted. But I have tried, and I am very grateful that it was available by the dram at the new BrewDog bar in Edinburgh in the Cowgait. (810 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -21.4%

Had the chance to try a good size sample at a tasting I went to

Sample was poured into my little three philospher tasting glass

The appearance was dark black with just the tiniest bit of head. Nothing else could be said about lacing or the lack of head as you can understand.

The aroma was dominate of coffee grounds and bits of charred/roasted malts. Dark fruit along with prunes, raisins, and hints of chocolate were present if you looked for them. Surprisingly the alcohol was not as present in the smell as I though it would.

The taste upfront was actually pretty good with raisins, cherries and bits of chocolate and coffee. Midway is where a pronounce rubbing alcohol heat kicks in with smokiness and charred malts. Bitterness might be from black malts used I suppose.

Full bodied and full of alcohol heat going down

Overall I would not have bought a bottle myself, but for what its worth with the high alcohol heat, I thought it was ok. (949 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -20.8%

Thanks to urbancaver for the Hookup.
A-Pours a medium brown with absolutely no head
S-Very complex and extremely boozy. You can tell you are in for a ride once this hits your nose.
T-A lot better than I expected. Very complex, almost like their is an alcohol party going on in my mouth. I don't know if it is good or bad. Definitely drink it slow. To fast and the taste is really bad. Get some oak smokiness. Tastes more like a spirit than beer.
M-Loved it in my mouth, burned on the way down
D-I was thinking this would be a 0, so i guess a 2 is pretty good. Definitely would take me 2+ hours to finish whole bottle. (617 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -19.9%

Some how I ended up with a caged and corked 375 ml green bottle of this. Well, not quite ended up, I forked over a lotta clams to get this, although I was expecting a 12 oz. bottle instead. Bottle wrapped in brown paper bag, simple felt drawing of a penguin and 32% drawn on it. I allowed it to breathe for about an hour

Cork releases with a small pop. Poured out about 2 oz. into a taster glass from the local homebrewing guild. The appearance is that of a dark brown, with a mahogany nimbus and cola highlights when held to light, somewhat translucent. No head whatsoever.

Aroma is sharp, boozy and somewhat vinous. Beneath all that is a character of roasted malt and coffee. Intense warming alcohol emanates out with every inhale. No real refinement to it though, it's sharp booze like moonshine or everclear.

The flavour is far more refined than the aroma hints at, thankfully. Sharp spike of raisin and alcohol up front, softening up with coffee, dark roasted malts and some peat on the finish. The aftertaste dries out considerably, while the alcohol heat increases. Some char, licorice root and molasses can be detected now and then as it sits and breathes.

Mouthfeel is thin, texture is slick, slippery and a bit silky, carbonation is absent.

One can question--and many have--what kind of beer this is left after being distilled so many times? Fortunately the presence of roasted malt still found in the flavour offers some familiar territory and a beery enough hallmark to let it pass for something beyond an alternative form of spirits. I'll give BrewDog points for experimenting and pushing the limits, though that probably won't be represented very well with the scoring of the finished product. I can understand the hefty price tag based on the process involved in making this, however the justification of the consumer to pay for it given the calibre of the end result is questionable. Then again I am no better, just a beer geek who eventually bought into the novelty factor and the fact that it became available locally, in order to see what the hype was about all for myself, and I suppose to cross this one off the list in the end. Been there, done that, won't be buying another ticket. The final word? This stuff becomes palatable once you let it breathe a bit, the aroma is perhaps the most off-putting factor of it all, yet when all is said and done the flavour is far from complex--especially compared to the complex process necessary to produce it--and not really worth the cost for it, especially since there are far more intense, complex and approachable Strong Ales/RIS's on the market for a fraction of the price tag. A novelty you'll have to ask yourself whether you'll buy into or not. However you never know, this stuff may turn into pure gold after several more years of aging, and those with deep pockets and stoic patience may win out in the end. For now it's just a crap shoot of skepticism.... (2,933 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Thanks to rudzud for picking up this share between a few of us.

No head as expected, dark murky cola brown color, long legs.

Booze galore, nose burning like whisky, once I get past it dark fruits come through, lots of syrupy brandy and port wine, candied raisins, then some dusty wooden oak and light vanilla barrel, and light wood esters, light oxidation.

taste wtf!! First, booze burns, again like brandy. Through that it has a green white dog liquor taste. Then syrup, thick syrupy sugar sludge, slightly burnt sugar mess. There's a weird bitter thing too, some earthy herbal hops but also like a weird conifer tree thing, then saw dust wood barrel that seems to have soaked up something awful. The booze again breaks on with a bad burning taste even. Also a weird vegetal fermented plants or something, and fair amount of oxidation cardboard. Just a little soy sauce like. Finish is syrupy and sweet, anestesizing, tingly, syrupy sludge.

Mouth is syrupy sludge and super burning booze, no carb.

Overall meh... No, blech. Starts OK with the aroma, but the flavors are just like fermented cardboard and pine then distilled into a super condensed version of ick. Undrinkable! (1,181 characters)

Tactical Nuclear Penguin from BrewDog