Five AM - BrewDog

United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: PartyBear on 01-03-2010

Formerly 5 A.M. Saint

Start the car. The lights are about to turn amber. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Past the alley where thieves and pimps sell corporate brews and good men soak it up like vermin, blissful in their ignorance. Past the jackhammers who want their three and a half percent. Keep going. Towards that golden orb, the size of Zeus’s ass, that hovers over this crazy town. Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink amber, and drive like a bastard towards that saintly light.

Ratings: 740 | Reviews: 246
1.3/5  rDev -66%

Pours a nice dark orange color with a giant head (this bottle is being drank after the best before date, but only by a few months) Head takes forever to die down. Oddly for an amber beer i'm getting lots of oily hop scents and also some roasted malt scents.

Taste is strange, i'm having some trouble with it, definitely not what I expected. theres really not much flavor up front, just a tiny bit of unidentifiable malt, and then it ends with some soapy hops. It's very strange for an amber ale, smooth and light body, highly carbonated, almost no malt and some hops.

Not much here really, maybe cause it's a bit too old? idk

Not a huge fan though

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

The colour is dark amber (25 EBC), the liquid is clear. The three finger head is airy and beige. It sinks slowly leaving lots of thick lacing.

The smell is rich and hoppy. Resin, sour citric fruits, caramel and exotic fruits like pineapple and apricots. Robust bitterness with some unclean notes of dried flowers and detergents. Some alcohol.

The taste got notes of hay, old flowers and American hops. Golden syrup and overripe fruits. Quite a lot of bitterness. Medium body. The aftertaste got some alcohol, fermenting hay/grass and citric flavouring. Sour fruit drops in the finish.

The carbonation is strong, the small bubbles are sharp. The liquid is semi-dry.

I have tried this one before, but always as a part of a BrewDog tasting. At those times, it was always the least favoured beer. When I now drink it on its own, I still think it is an odd beer with notes of dusty malts and rotten grass.

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

I just hate this beer. Can't stand the taste at all.

2.44/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this strange looking beer that I could not figure out who brewed, Anchor or Brewdog? I guess nobody wants to claim it. The beer poured a dark amber beer with a tan head that lasted all of a minute. The beer is a hop bomb so I did not like it. It also tasted like grass to me. I will not buy again but if you like grassy beer go for it.

2.57/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into an Irish pub style (real) pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland on September 17th, 2010. Pours a dark, clear amber with a three finger head that retains for two and a half minutes. Some cream in the moderately thick head. Looks mildly inviting.

Smell: A strong berry, fruity smell. Maybe raspberry? Hard to detect individual flavours, indicative of good balance. Definitely ester.

Taste: Two notes of compatible berry flavours, followed by a lackluster finish. There is a rather nice sweet berry undertone that holds throughout, which is the best part of this beer. Up to the finish, the beer is built fairly well but the finish destroys the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Awkward movement from wet in the body to dry on the finish, neither of which is refreshing. The cream of the head never comes through, which is disappointing.

Drinkability: This is an ambitious amber ale, but its biggest failing is the dry, contrasting mouthfeel of the finish.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%

I liked the colour of beer, much darker than the light amber I was expecting, it has a very pleasant fragrant smell, reminded me of jasmine, malts and honey. The head on the beer was solid, a good 3/4inch. So far so good. The taste was quite a shock, very clear, very metallic with and with a strong alcohol note throughout. Years ago in my school days a teacher once made the class taste ethanol (100% alcohol) for some reason. Those memories came flooding back. The character of the beer is all back lost in the metal and alcohol. I did not find it smooth particularly, more like licking a smooth metal pole. Overall I was disappointed.

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance: 3/4 inch head, red/brown, clear, medium carbonation, hazy

Smell: toasted malt, floral hops and light toffee

Taste: toasted malt, floral hops, earth, and light toffee

Mouthfeel: slightly watery-light bodied, dry,semi-bitter, medium high carbonation

Drinkability: A below average amber ale. I would like a bit more sweet malt balance to this beer. Not horrible, but nothing I would pick up again.

2.74/5  rDev -28.3%

Wow, a session strength beer from Brewdog.

11.2 ounce bottle into a 20 ounce pub glass. Best before 19/01/2011 (or 01/19/2011 for us stateside)

A - Very nice look. Deep ruby red (approcaching brown, think cherrywood) with a nice sized tan head that hangs around. Great looking beer.

S - Caramelly, dark crystal malts with some sugariness. Nice hop in there, just hard to disinguish.

T - Taste has some hop but lacks balance to a degree. Not bad for a hoppy red that goes down easy but missing malt that would back it up.

M - Medium bodied.

D - The lack of malt depth really turns me off here. I love ambers, and I love hoppy brews, but it's as if theyt just forgot anything other than the hops in the boil.

Notes: I can drink it, but see my drinkability notes. It's almost like a brand new homebrewers first try (we've all been there) where you just throw more hops into the ketlle and think everything's ok.

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%

I bought this beer in a Mix-a-six, as part of a very small selection of beers that I had not yet sampled at my local beer barn. The label says "iconoclastic amber ale, Product of Scotland," which intrigued me. As soon as I popped this bitch open, I was overwhelmed with the smell of hops. As primarily a darker beer kinda guy, I wasn't too sure I was gonna enjoy this brew. After one sip, my first thought was "this tastes like a weak IPA." I, for one, am not a fan of IPAs. But the more I sit here and sip this beverage, the more I can appreciate the smoothness. It's a drinkable beer by my taste buds, but it was a random purchase that I probably won't make again. This is not to say this is bad beer...I could see some folks really enjoying this beer. It's just not for me.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Brewdog fest samplethon with buddies-8/16/10 from notes:

Poured into a small sampling glass this brew has a light amber color that was thin with a finger head that settled to a nice cap. The aroma is full of wet grass and light citrus. The taste is very watered down and has pour quality hops. This brew seems to be off style and a little off in general. A lot of good brewdog beer and this was abnormal. Will need to edit review if I have a chance to try again some time.

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%

Single 330mL bottle for $3.39 at Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT. Batch 153, best before 23-06-11. Served cold in a chilled tulip.

Cloudy reddish amber/ copper brew has robust carbonation that supports a thick bubbly 1.5" of tan head. The smell has a thin dry sweetness and fairly hoppy- lemon Pez candy with a sharp litsea edge. Some roasty malt appears after the initial lemony stuff mellows out a bit. Amazing smell for an amber... smells almost like a malty IPA. The taste is a huge letdown... thin and dry, very shallow, just a moderate dose of murky lemon-ish hop and a little dry caramel stuff lingering in the background. Feels moderately thick with a fizzy carbonation. The head, which has settled to a thick layer, left a good amount of lace throughout the session.

It'd be a good brew if the taste was half as good as the smell. Very disappointing.

First had: bottle, special ordered from Scotland

Not bad. Poured from the bottle, brown and clear. Nice thick, distinctive, white head. Smell was on the hoppy side but not too strong. Taste was surprisingly bitter for an amber ale. Mouthfeel was light to medium, and drinkability was sub-moderate considering the surprising bitterness/metallic nature of the beer, as ambers are typically much smoother.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Bottle: Poured a clear amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of dry caramel malt notes with some light floral citrus notes. Taste is a well balanced mix between some light caramel malt notes with some notes of light citrus hops. Body is about average with good carbonation. Not bad but more bland then what I was expecting considering the brewer isn’t the most conventional one.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks for the contribution, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a clear amber color with a rocky off-white head with nice lacing.

S: Smells kind of funky. The hops are very grassy and herbal. There is a sharp citrus acidity to it, like grapefruit juice. Light pineapple notes as well. A slight sourness along with some bready malts.

T: Bready malts with a bit of toffee. Very heavy on the grass with a light tartness of grapefruit juice. A bit more bitter than expected, too. Mild pine flavor on the back end.

M: Medium body with a high level of carbonation.

O: I didn't really like this beer. The hop character was strange and gave it a misplaced tartness.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Got this in jmarsh123's Music LIF. Big thanks! My first beer from BrewDog.

A: Dark amber color, with nice bright highlights when held to the light. An immeasurable head since it kept growing out of the glass and I was unable to pour the whole bottle in at once. Super rocky with a slightly yellow tint to it. Takes forever to die down. Super sticky lacing.

S: Caramel and toffee malts. Slight citrus hops, with light grapefruit, and very slight hints of apricot and pineapple. Slightly funky with a touch of alcohol coming through.

T: Bready malts and toffee. Huge grassy notes through out. A sour bitter citrus flavor from middle to finish and lingering in the aftertaste. Like chewing on wet grass.

M: Medium bodied with higher carbonation. Pretty sticky.

O: Not a fan of the huge grass profile of this one. I can get that from the bag on my lawnmower. Not bad flavors, just not for me.

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a pint glass.

A: Good two and a half fingers of head. Rich, transparent amber brown with a voluptuous quality. Very nice.

S: Unmistakeable cascade hops (it smells like a Sierra Nevada). There are lots of hops in the nose. It's very pleasant, but rather one-sided.

T: Yummy hops, bland flavour. Yes, it is very hoppy, and yes, these hops are nice (if you like that sort of thing -- I do), but there is nothing supporting it. There is no beer, only hops. Aftertaste is bitter and slightly soapy.

M: Nice enough. Carbonation and hops.

D: Too much hops, not enough of anything else. Too lopsided to be very drinkable, at least for me. A good beer, I guess, but I wouldn't recommend it.

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought a bottle of BrewDog's 5 A.M. Saint for $2.99 at The Lager Mill. Been eyeing this one up for a while and decided to finally give BrewDog a try and see what all the talk is about, hope this beer was worth the price. It had a drink by date of September 17th, 2011. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain looking but the bright red color makes it stick out, the paragraph on the side of the bottle is a cocky rant about how shitty mainstream beer is, but I guess that fits BrewDog's edgy attitude. I opened the cap and got one of the loudest sounds that I have ever got from opening a beer bottle and their was lots of visible gas escaping, it instantly gushed out of the bottle leaving about a half ounce of liquid on my desk. It poured a a nice looking deep red copper color with a huge five fingers plus worth of fluffy off white head that made this beer a bitch to pour. It died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing behind.

S- This smells like it is going to be one hoppy red ale. The first thing I am hit with is the abundance of hops in the aroma, it goes from strong citrus grapefruit aroma to some piney and resiny hops, and a little bit of floral hops, all those hops kind of give it a weed like smell. The caramel malts are slightly sweet and barely detectable in the aroma, the caramel malts base takes a backseat to all the hops.

T- The aroma gives you a pretty good idea as to what the taste is like, it's all about the hops in this brew. All the hops I detected in the aroma show in the taste with grapefruit and pine sticking out the most, the combination of hops gives it a spicy herb like aroma that is similar to average marijuana. There's a little bit of caramel malt base but it is quickly overpowered by the hops. It has a pretty prominent bitterness to it that is on the high side, especially for a red ale.

M- Sticky and medium bodied with a huge amount of carbonation that was way too much, it was hard to get a good pour due to all that carbonation.

Overall I think I set my expectations a little too high but in the end I have no problem drinking this beer and actually enjoy the flavor and aroma. This is a pretty hard beer to rate, ambers and reds should be well balanced and this was not, if it was an IPA that wouldn't be a problem and if I didn't know this was a Red Ale I would have been pretty sure I was drinking an IPA. I thought the flavor and aroma were pretty nice but this beer was too over carbonated, at first I thought it might be infected since just about every gusher I have had was infected, but this one wasn't, it just had way too much carbonation. Drinkability wasn't that great either, it was too hoppy and bitter for me to have more then one. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it was just to expensive for what I got, if I wanted a beer that was like this one I would rather grab Lagunitas Lucky 13, it is better beer at a better price. I can't say I would recommend this to people looking for a good Amber Ale, it just doesn't do a good job at representing what that style is all about, but if hop heavy brews are your thing you might like it. This wasn't the best first impression with BrewDog, but I admire the fact that they don't care what people think and just do what they want, so I would like to try more of their brews but if the price point is similar to this beer it might be a while before I get to trying them.

3.17/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: muddy semi-translucent brown; no head; almost no lacing, just a few short thin runs
S: primarily pine/hops
T: pine, licorice, tar
M: thin, watery, well-carbonated
O: Claims to be an amber/red ale, but is really a watery IPA.

Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia MD

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance is medium brown with a slight hint of red. Very clear
Two finger head with nice retention and lacing.

The smell is very strong. In the bottle, it was too strong, but in the glass it was better. Lots of hops and some pine hints as well

The taste is just too hoppy. The pine doesn't carry through very well. Nevermind. Yes it does

The mouthfeel is like nothing. Very plain.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

A - The head is the color white eggshells and stands minimal at around an eighth of an inch. This early morning riser is one of light red complexion.

S - Aromas of leaves and grass are about as much as I pick up.

T - It has a slightly old hop to it along with the leafy floral medley. This seems to be more along the lines of an English style ale rather than an American Amer or American Red Ale.

M - Watery and slightly coarse throughout.

~ This beer is okay. One is good enough for me and I would not likely recommend this beer.

3.21/5  rDev -16%

Appearance - This came out a good-looking brown with orangish hues and a very nice, full fluffy head that left good lacing.

Smell - The malts are heavily-toasted and a bit stale. There's some light raw sugar in there and maybe some orange rind but really the nose is rather clumsy. The hops are leafy but very stiff and I'm also getting some kind of biscuit. This one is hard to classify but there's definitely something a bit off here.

Taste - The beer loses most of its structure at the taste. I still get the toastiness but it is shallow and lacks any real bready punch. The sugars come off as stale and artificial and the only thing left from the hop aroma is a kind of annoying leafy taste.

Mouthfeel - When I think of this style I expect a big mouthfeel and this one just didn't pull it off. It is thin, I wouldn't even call it medium-bodied, with little fizzy carbonation and an annoying bitter finish. I enjoy a big bitter bite so am not averse to the characteristic but here it just fell flat in the cheeks.

Drinkability - I liked smelling this enough before each sip to finish the bottle but this is a clumsy, confusing beer that I won't buy again.

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a nice amber color with a huuuge head. Took forever for the head to die down. Smell is mediocre, not much there that stands out. The taste is fairly weak, with a bitter, almost sour taste at the end. Dont really know what I think of this beer. I thought I was getting something new and exciting, being the first beer from Brew Dog that i've found here in NM, but it just turned out kind of meh.

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Pours a hazy, murky amber with a mountainous khaki head that recedes rather slowly.

S: Aromas of brown sugar, caramel, grass, bitter herbs, blood orange, lemon, lime, and kumquats fill the nose.

T: Notes of blood orange, kumquats, lemon, lime, grapefruit pith, grass, bitter herbs, spruce, brown sugar, biscuit, and caramel coat the palate. The finish delivers a sharp contrast between bitter citrus and sweet, rich caramel malt flavors with a hint of a metallic tang.

M: On the lighter side of medium and slick. Carbonation is a little too intense and prickly for my liking.

O: For me, the best American amber/red ales deliver an initial separation of bitter hops and sweet malts before presenting something of an integration of flavors on the finish. With this beer, however, once the flavors separate (and they do so immediately), they never come together. This gives the beer a crude, rough feel and makes it seem a bit sloppy, unrefined, and simplistic. Couple this lack of depth, subtlety, and complexity with a thinner-than-average mouthfeel, and one is left with a beer that is less an American amber/red ale and more of a thin, low-strength IPA. All the aromas and flavors one would expect to find in a beer of this style are here in one form or another, but the package, as a whole, never really comes together.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Drank from my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a slightly hazy Red Amber colour with a nice two fingerd off White head that retains well.

S - Mostly piney hops and a little malt background.

T - Up front some nice bitterness. The hop is a littele faded with the finish being a little bitter. Lacks the real substance expected from the aroma.

M - A little watery, light to medium body with medium carbonation.

O - A solid sessionable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Served in a nonic pint glass at ChurchKey.

I'll admit it: I have no idea what this brew's name means. Irregardless (remember, that word is spoken with a semi-Bostonian accent), it pours a clear amber-copper topped by a half-finger of light tan foam. The smell is of pine, citrus, peach, and caramel apple, complete with plenty o' nuts. The pine and citrus (mainly the peel in this case) run strong in the taste, with greenery, flowers, and a very light bit o' toffee. For me, a bit unbalanced in favor of the hoppier bits. The body is a light medium, making it a bit heavier than it oughta be; the moderately active carbonation and dry finish (combined with an aftertaste of orange peel) round out a feel that does not bring much of a smile to my lips. Still, the finished product is not all that objectionable...just not entirely desirable. Translation: Good for a drink, but not something to be sought out by any stretch of the imagination.

Five AM from BrewDog