5 A.M. Saint - BrewDog

5 A.M. Saint5 A.M. Saint

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Start the car. The lights are about to turn amber. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Past the alley where thieves and pimps sell corporate brews and good men soak it up like vermin, blissful in their ignorance. Past the jackhammers who want their three and a half percent. Keep going. Towards that golden orb, the size of Zeus’s ass, that hovers over this crazy town. Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink amber, and drive like a bastard towards that saintly light.

(Beer added by: PartyBear on 01-03-2010)
1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

1.3/5  rDev -66%

Pours a nice dark orange color with a giant head (this bottle is being drank after the best before date, but only by a few months) Head takes forever to die down. Oddly for an amber beer i'm getting lots of oily hop scents and also some roasted malt scents.

Taste is strange, i'm having some trouble with it, definitely not what I expected. theres really not much flavor up front, just a tiny bit of unidentifiable malt, and then it ends with some soapy hops. It's very strange for an amber ale, smooth and light body, highly carbonated, almost no malt and some hops.

Not much here really, maybe cause it's a bit too old? idk

Not a huge fan though

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

The colour is dark amber (25 EBC), the liquid is clear. The three finger head is airy and beige. It sinks slowly leaving lots of thick lacing.

The smell is rich and hoppy. Resin, sour citric fruits, caramel and exotic fruits like pineapple and apricots. Robust bitterness with some unclean notes of dried flowers and detergents. Some alcohol.

The taste got notes of hay, old flowers and American hops. Golden syrup and overripe fruits. Quite a lot of bitterness. Medium body. The aftertaste got some alcohol, fermenting hay/grass and citric flavouring. Sour fruit drops in the finish.

The carbonation is strong, the small bubbles are sharp. The liquid is semi-dry.

I have tried this one before, but always as a part of a BrewDog tasting. At those times, it was always the least favoured beer. When I now drink it on its own, I still think it is an odd beer with notes of dusty malts and rotten grass.

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this strange looking beer that I could not figure out who brewed, Anchor or Brewdog? I guess nobody wants to claim it. The beer poured a dark amber beer with a tan head that lasted all of a minute. The beer is a hop bomb so I did not like it. It also tasted like grass to me. I will not buy again but if you like grassy beer go for it.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

I liked the colour of beer, much darker than the light amber I was expecting, it has a very pleasant fragrant smell, reminded me of jasmine, malts and honey. The head on the beer was solid, a good 3/4inch. So far so good. The taste was quite a shock, very clear, very metallic with and with a strong alcohol note throughout. Years ago in my school days a teacher once made the class taste ethanol (100% alcohol) for some reason. Those memories came flooding back. The character of the beer is all back lost in the metal and alcohol. I did not find it smooth particularly, more like licking a smooth metal pole. Overall I was disappointed.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into an Irish pub style (real) pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland on September 17th, 2010. Pours a dark, clear amber with a three finger head that retains for two and a half minutes. Some cream in the moderately thick head. Looks mildly inviting.

Smell: A strong berry, fruity smell. Maybe raspberry? Hard to detect individual flavours, indicative of good balance. Definitely ester.

Taste: Two notes of compatible berry flavours, followed by a lackluster finish. There is a rather nice sweet berry undertone that holds throughout, which is the best part of this beer. Up to the finish, the beer is built fairly well but the finish destroys the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Awkward movement from wet in the body to dry on the finish, neither of which is refreshing. The cream of the head never comes through, which is disappointing.

Drinkability: This is an ambitious amber ale, but its biggest failing is the dry, contrasting mouthfeel of the finish.

2.56/5  rDev -33%

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance: 3/4 inch head, red/brown, clear, medium carbonation, hazy

Smell: toasted malt, floral hops and light toffee

Taste: toasted malt, floral hops, earth, and light toffee

Mouthfeel: slightly watery-light bodied, dry,semi-bitter, medium high carbonation

Drinkability: A below average amber ale. I would like a bit more sweet malt balance to this beer. Not horrible, but nothing I would pick up again.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%

Wow, a session strength beer from Brewdog.

11.2 ounce bottle into a 20 ounce pub glass. Best before 19/01/2011 (or 01/19/2011 for us stateside)

A - Very nice look. Deep ruby red (approcaching brown, think cherrywood) with a nice sized tan head that hangs around. Great looking beer.

S - Caramelly, dark crystal malts with some sugariness. Nice hop in there, just hard to disinguish.

T - Taste has some hop but lacks balance to a degree. Not bad for a hoppy red that goes down easy but missing malt that would back it up.

M - Medium bodied.

D - The lack of malt depth really turns me off here. I love ambers, and I love hoppy brews, but it's as if theyt just forgot anything other than the hops in the boil.

Notes: I can drink it, but see my drinkability notes. It's almost like a brand new homebrewers first try (we've all been there) where you just throw more hops into the ketlle and think everything's ok.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

I bought this beer in a Mix-a-six, as part of a very small selection of beers that I had not yet sampled at my local beer barn. The label says "iconoclastic amber ale, Product of Scotland," which intrigued me. As soon as I popped this bitch open, I was overwhelmed with the smell of hops. As primarily a darker beer kinda guy, I wasn't too sure I was gonna enjoy this brew. After one sip, my first thought was "this tastes like a weak IPA." I, for one, am not a fan of IPAs. But the more I sit here and sip this beverage, the more I can appreciate the smoothness. It's a drinkable beer by my taste buds, but it was a random purchase that I probably won't make again. This is not to say this is bad beer...I could see some folks really enjoying this beer. It's just not for me.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Brewdog fest samplethon with buddies-8/16/10 from notes:

Poured into a small sampling glass this brew has a light amber color that was thin with a finger head that settled to a nice cap. The aroma is full of wet grass and light citrus. The taste is very watered down and has pour quality hops. This brew seems to be off style and a little off in general. A lot of good brewdog beer and this was abnormal. Will need to edit review if I have a chance to try again some time.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Single 330mL bottle for $3.39 at Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT. Batch 153, best before 23-06-11. Served cold in a chilled tulip.

Cloudy reddish amber/ copper brew has robust carbonation that supports a thick bubbly 1.5" of tan head. The smell has a thin dry sweetness and fairly hoppy- lemon Pez candy with a sharp litsea edge. Some roasty malt appears after the initial lemony stuff mellows out a bit. Amazing smell for an amber... smells almost like a malty IPA. The taste is a huge letdown... thin and dry, very shallow, just a moderate dose of murky lemon-ish hop and a little dry caramel stuff lingering in the background. Feels moderately thick with a fizzy carbonation. The head, which has settled to a thick layer, left a good amount of lace throughout the session.

It'd be a good brew if the taste was half as good as the smell. Very disappointing.

5 A.M. Saint from BrewDog