2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 168 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
imscotty

1.95/5  rDev -46.6%

Thank you to my friend Bob who unleashed this monster at his Superbowl gathering. It was... unforgettable

A: When the bottle was opened we were surprised to hear it pop. Still, no evidence of carbonation when poured, no head to speak of. The beer is a fairly clear deep dark amber.

S: The aroma sharply hits you with alcohol and hoppy herbal bitterness. It is very sharp and forewarns you of what is to come. Yes, there are also sherry and caramel aromas, but the sharp alcohol hoppy bitterness overwhelms.

T: Wow, I mean wow. A bitter peppery burning bomb goes off in your mouth. Many reviewers talk about the alcohol burn, that is to be expected at 41 abc, but what is amazingly intense is that bitter peppery burn. I suppose it is the bitter hops used, but it tastes like you are sucking wet peat dipped in Cayenne pepper. What I am trying to say is that I found this almost undrinkable it was so extreme. My lips puckered and burned, the back of my throat tightened.

My share of the bottle was poured into a 6 oz glass, I drank maybe 2 oz. If I took the tiniest of sips and nursed those two ounces over an entire day maybe I would have enjoyed it more. The half hour I actually spent drinking those two ounces was too much, too intense.

M: I do no know what to say about this, there was nothing wrong with the viscosity. But I actually found this mouth numbing. Did you ever get novocaine at the dentist and some of it drips on your tongue and burns and numbs at the same tie? It was like gargling with novocaine and napalm.

O: I suppose the brewers accomplished what they set out to do. It was certainly a memorable experience. It was an education in the extreme of what pure distilled alcohol infused bitter hop would taste like. I suggested to my friends that one or two DROPS of Sink the Bismarck in a regular IPA would probably add some nice flavor and complexity. Have you ever tasted vanilla extract, it is too much. But a few drops can make a delicious ice cream. Well this is the vanilla extract of beers and I found it undrinkable in this form.

Note: A few hours have past since my tasting and my mouth is still burning and numb. I hope I will be able to taste again.

02-03-2014 03:10:55 | More by imscotty
xk6m6m5x

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%

the only thing I liked about this beer was the mouth feel and the abv....it tasted and smelled like whiskey made with hops to me. nice silky mouth feel, thick and smooth until it finishes, very ,very ,hot not saying it isn't a good beer just not my thing

01-02-2014 21:24:18 | More by xk6m6m5x
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml corked and caged bottle into tulip a few weeks back, from notes

A brownish amber, no bubbles, no lace, long thin legs and it leaves a little color on the glass, looks like a sticky spirit and I suppose it should at this point

S there's a booze sting on deep whiffs but if their wasn't I'd be worried, loads of caramel, lots of raisin, pine, citrus, burnt brown sugar and more caramel

T still heavy on the heat but that's to be expected, piney caramel concentrate, tastes like a hop spirit, I like it much more then I thought I would

M syrup, not syrupy its syrup, hot, numbing, and flat, my lips are stuck together and I'll be tasting pine and caramel tomorrow at this rate

O way better then I expected, I really liked this stuff, I'm kinda wishing I saved a little to put on a cheesecake, I could see that working well

I did a flaming shot of beer, not many people can say that I'm sure. this was a surprise for me, I thought this would be a drain pour but I actually liked it a fair bit but I doubt I'd drop another 100$ on one

12-14-2013 02:09:11 | More by wordemupg
KVNBGRY

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance - Flat, watered down coffee

Aroma - Rubbing alcohol, peppermint(?), soy sauce.

Taste - Similar to aroma.. More alcohol.. Burnt my eyes.

Mouthfeel - Hard liquor

Overall - Not for the faint of heart. Glad I got the chance to try though.

09-14-2013 14:38:12 | More by KVNBGRY
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Sink The Bismark! is best drank in a small portion from a really large glass. Dingy golden, it is a shabby looking beer that lacks both highlights and head. As any designated driver can tell you, it's difficult to remove a beer's alcohol without compromising its flavour in the process. The reverse is true too; too much alcohol makes it difficult to appreciate a beer. The burnt sugar, honey, citrus and pine notes of this bouquet are overrun by boozy dark fruit esters.

Peoples' first reaction to a four-times-frozen 41% beer is to ask whether it should even still be considered "real" beer. Well, somewhat surprisingly, this still tastes strongly reminiscent of one; forwardly hoppy, it showcases a ton of resinous pine flavour as well as grapefruit and dried mango and papaya slices. It actually proffers some recognizable maltiness too in the form of caramel squares and scorched toffee.

That's not to say, however, that it tastes entirely like a regular beer. Brewdog has enough barrel-aged and double-digit alcohol offerings to qualify as a distillery - which is just as well because they're not great brewers - and, indeed, alcohol dominates in this one. These esters could warm all of Siberia. It tastes like raisins that have been macerated in cognac.

The burning in my throat aside, I honestly find it surprisingly drinkable for its strength (this is speaking relatively). It's only my first time trying Sink The Bismark! but I assume it's matured in the three years since it was brewed. That said, whereas most stronger beers are overwhelmingly 'hot' or bitter for the first minute until one becomes accustomed, there's no getting accustomed to this. It only grows more and more syrupy, and less and less agreeable.

Many people are probably impressed by a 41% alcohol beer. It sounds complicated to brew, but you know what else is? A dry stout with the appropriate amount of roast; a Kölsch that's both clean and flavourful; a flawlessly balanced Pilsner. These styles are so simple that they provide nothing to hide behind and concede little room for error. They may be more straightforward but they're no less difficult to make (and can be equally impressive).

Sink The Bismark! may be too extreme but let’s not forget part of its purpose is to correct the other end of the scale: industrial sameness and blandness. Of course, that's not it's only purpose; Brewdog is more about selling beer than making it. They may be among the best publicists and advertisers in the world, but they're far from the best brewers. Where do you draw the line? I'd say here would have been a good place.

08-09-2013 22:48:36 | More by biegaman
heygeebee

Australia

4.49/5  rDev +23%

On-line Purchase.

Pours with a pfft – zero head, legs not lace. Deep golden brown.

Aromas of butterscotch, caramel, moonshine like rough alcohol. Alcohol dominates.

Taste is alcohol, then a bitter hop flavour takes over. Very bitter indeed. Mouth consuming. Unlike beer, unlike spirits, - I can see why a lot dislike. Need a hop bomb before to start the palate off. Very challenging.

Mouthfeel is a real polariser…. I have never drunk baby oil, so I dunno what that would taste like, but it’s near. Oil central, but it’s warm.

Overall has to be a 5. I’ve drunk the extreme beer of the times. And I survived.
I suspect those that drain pour (or say they do) do not like neat spirit, be it single malt, OP rum etc. It is ‘out there’ but that’s not a huge surprise, now it is?

ADDENDUM - tried this one more than once now.... it works >really< well after having a hop-bomb, American IPA etc etc... much less well if the palate is not primed, as the bitterness comes across somewhat astringent in that case.

06-09-2013 06:08:20 | More by heygeebee
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

375ml caged and synthetically corked bottle. Been sitting on this one for well over a year, waiting for just the right time to crack it. Since no occasion has come to pass that wasn't already spoken for, I figured that the anniversary of Otto von Bismarck's namesake battleship's demise would suffice. As well, I can't help but be reminded of Johnny Horton's ditty of the same name, one my mother (70 years young a few days ago) led me to lo these many years ago.

This beer pours (after a few frustratingly arduous attempts to open) a clear, dark ruby brown hue, with only a few sparse soda bubbles tending to the perimeter in terms of head or lace. Kind of subtly ominous, I must say.

It smells pungent, and then heady, and then a bit in your face - deep, concentrated black fruit esters, fresh leather, tawny port wine, wet cigar ash, edgy, somewhat bready caramel/toffee, leafy smoked wood, and a further perfumed floral citrus warmth.

The taste is hyper-dense caramel pudding, sharp, prickly muddled citrus, like hot grapefruit and citrus vodka, oiled leather, reduced warm brown sugar, a certain woody, lightly smoked meatiness, gritty molasses, the darkest of soy sauces, a heavy cherry and red grape musty fruitiness, soaked tobacco leaf, and more big, beefy grapefruit, orange and pine hops, obfuscated somewhat in their bloated state, but punchy all the same.

The carbonation is there, surprisingly enough, but only in trace amounts, the body more than evocative of the biggest, stupidest meathead you might have seen in the gym or outside a random nightclub - bursting at the seams, with a weightiness not found in nature - hmmmm - and as smooth as a waist-high shelf whisky blended with big-ass west-coast IPA hops could expect to be, which actually works here, somewhat astonishingly. It finishes pretty sweet, though most of that comes from the alcohol, duh, and the tropical fruitiness that has the oysters to stick it out above all that other steroidal mishmash.

It is what it is - a (beer-oriented, I'm guessing they actually meant) spirit derived from grain - so the heretofore (ok, there was TNP) untested status of this 'brewery' here is understandable. I'm just glad to see the substantial hops of the base style style alive and well, if in a sort of zombie-esque state, which renders this in the end a so-so sipper. The Scottish have a propensity for distancing themselves from all things British, so I find it nice of them to rekindle a 72 year-old WW2 naval battle, one more than the 15 miles of note away. For the 110 or so Canuck retail dollars, I will just have to save some of this for my weekly viewing of Mad Men this evening, wherein I typically quaff a dram or two in deference to the habits of those mainly antiquated (?) characters.

05-27-2013 23:59:39 | More by biboergosum
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

It's incredible that the freeze distilling process finally yields a beer that boasts a whopping 41% abv! The old standards and benchmarks for can be retired. There's new thresholds to be explored!

Much less like beer and much more like cognac, the beer pours a still but deep tawny brown color that looks simply like maple syrup in both its hue and viscosity. Any would-be lacing is foregone by brandy-like legging- all ensuring that this beer must be appreciated a more of a cordial than a traditional beer.

Strong savory aromatics abound from the glass with the overwhelming scents of aged sherry wine, soy sauce, black strap molasses, dried tobacco leaves, cured leather, and a somewhat meaty mesquite note. Spicy alcohols are spirit-like and carry and inherent spicy note of cinnamon, aniseed, and peppercorn.

Sweet and savory flavors weave in the beer's early palate for a sultry and "meaty" character that salivates the mouth and invites larger sips than is preferred. But as the taste extends to the middle of the tongue, the sweetness fades, leaving the earthy and spicy flavors of tobacco, oak, and sherry to carry its grape and cherry taste into a highly spicy finish that reminds me of cough syrups and spiced rum.

Strong spicy alcohol bite just edges out the early sweet texture for command of the mouthfeel early and often. Its a powerful experience that favors strong warmth and hop bite even late for a balance that seems actually beer-like. At heart this drinking experience is a beer- but one with spirit-like power and effect. It's an ale like no other.

05-06-2013 06:09:29 | More by BEERchitect
FLima

Brazil

Amber color leaving alcohol marks in the glass. Don’t even think about a head, or carbonation.
Sweet malt and woody aroma, smells like cognac. Strangely I could get some pineapple out of it.
Similarly, it tastes like a good cognac or scotch. Such high level alcohol has a numb effect at your mouth as it happens to hard liquors. Body is heavy and oily.
Remove water from your beer and you would get a STB type of beer, picture this if you don’t recognize this as beer. It is a beer amplified. I personally found it to be more drinkable than many malt liquor beers. You have to sip it as drinking an excellent scotch or rum. Actually is very tasteful and superior to most cognacs, rums and scotch, though quite expensive to make it.

12-07-2012 19:15:23 | More by FLima
GONZALOYANNA

Spain

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%

330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

08-26-2012 23:31:56 | More by GONZALOYANNA
TrevorWGrover

Germany

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer a while back so I can't really justify reviewing it now but I feel like I have to to talk a little about this extremely unique beer.

First of all, we are supposed to compare the beers we review only against other beers of the same style. There are not many beers of this style. The only other that I have EVER heard of is Brewdog's other: 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin'.

BA calls this an imperial IPA, but I don't feel it actually fits in that description. It is like a liquor IPA. Don't take that the wrong way. Sink the Bismarck IS a beer. It is brewed like a beer, from the grain to the boil, hopped like a beer, fermented like a beer and then hopped some more. (no distillery necessary)

Drinking this beer is a lot like drinking a nice Scotch or Bourbon. You definitely get that warming feeling through the back of your tongue and throat but it smells and tastes like a delicious IPA. Something that Brewdog WOULD put out.

If you had Tactical Nuclear Penguin and did not like it so much, that is not a good enough reason to pass on this one. STB > TNP.

I truly loved drinking this brew. I'll just say drink it with an open mind.

07-28-2012 12:22:37 | More by TrevorWGrover
MasterSki

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle generously shared by thetomG. Served in a 3 Floyds tasting snifter. First batch, without the resealable bottle.

A - Surprisingly carbonation here. While a hard pour doesn't rouse much foam, there are tons of bubbles present in the transparent dark amber body, and a partial ring is formed on the surface.

S - The smell is actually fairly pleasant, with a nice blend of caramel and red fruit malts, tropical hops, and present but relatively restrained alcohol presence. More malt and less booze than I anticipated.

T - The taste also starts out quite promising, and is exactly what you'd expect if you distilled a high-ABV IIPA. Citrus and tropical hops with caramel and brown sugar malts. The alcohol doesn't manifest much in the flavor, but rears its head in the finish when it combines with some fierce hop bitterness. Starts as a 4.0, but ends as more of a 2.0, so I'll split the difference I guess.

M - Oh God, it burns! Warming and biting alcohol all the way from the back of the throat to the belly. Super, super, dry, with some surprising carbonation tingle. Viscous full body.

D - I actually kind of liked this beer, and it's exponentially better than Tactical Nuclear Penguin. If you go in expecting a hop liquor you shouldn't be too disappointed. Definitely overpriced, but far from undrinkable.

07-17-2012 15:37:44 | More by MasterSki
heatherishoppin

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

This is one hell of of a unique beer. The taste and smell are just out of this world.

However, this is definitely a beer for the special occasion. Not only is it very costly, but very syrupy and difficult to drink more than one.

I would still encourage anyone to try this beer if they have the opportunity. Not many people can say they have drank a beer with an ABV of 41% and not many people even know it is possible!

Again, I give this beer, like many BrewDog beers, a very high rating because I admire their work. I even had the chance to see this beer in the making at the brewery in Fraserburgh, Scotland!

07-16-2012 23:32:26 | More by heatherishoppin
Sweeney19X

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Me and 3 friends all threw down to get a bottle. When you find out one of the strongest beers in the world is being sold in your town, you have to go for it. Knew we were in for something special when my nose tingled after opening it. Poured into a snifter with zero carbonation and zero head. It was more like drinking a strong scotch than anything else. Enough bite in the aroma to clear anyone's sinus'. Not sure if it's something I would go for again at $110 for a bottle. But is for sure an experience that i would recommend to others, just to say you did it.

04-07-2012 18:10:19 | More by Sweeney19X
bluejacket74

3.65/5  rDev 0%

330 ml bottle, Batch 009, best before 16-08-20. I've had this bottle for at least a year so I know it's not exactly fresh. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with a very small fizzy cola-like head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing at all. It also has legs like liquor does when I swirl the beer around the glass. Aroma is mostly boozy, it also smells like dried fruits, apricots, candied oranges, plums, caramel and some hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like sweet booze, dried/candied and tropical fruit, pine hops, honey, and also an herbal/medicinal flavor. It's weird, I can feel the alcohol burn going down my throat when I drink it, but the other flavors linger around a while in the finish so I can actually taste something other than the booze. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's syrupy, slick and coating with low carbonation. I have to say it's a unique brew, and overall I did like it. I'd try it again in the future, but next time I should probably split the bottle with someone instead of drinking it all myself.

03-16-2012 22:13:36 | More by bluejacket74
patm1986

yea.

light brown. still. syrupy. no head. legs like cognac. i can't generate any head no matter how much i try--heh.

sugar in so many overwrought forms: candied, honied, inverted, burnt, boozy. raisins. booze. caramel. epic sting, huge nose.

barn door, cooked honey, tar, leather, big ol' booze mouth. burned. major medicinal aftertaste.

rich. oily. fiery. leaves a lingering tinge that does not dissipate for a long time.

big doesn't really explain this beverage aptly. i am rating based on the several factors in order of importance:
a) what is this? since this is listed on this site, technically classifying this as a beer, i'm going to treat it for what it is.
b) this is my first beer above about 24% the sheer jolt of its strength alone adds to my reaction in a manner of surprise and intrigue.
c) how does this taste in terms of other things that taste/look/smell as comparably possible?

considering these factors, this is incredible. i like the flavors of cognac, but the heat can be way too abrasive and nearly undrinkable. this beverage meets me in the middle with characteristics and profiles similar to cognac in a form that is much, much more palatable. and cognac is the only reference i have to something like this.
this is beer?
i have one ounce of this in my glass. i think i can sit on this for an hour at least. at least. its heat, consistency, and core flavors are so intense that i don't think a single review after or during .25 oz is nearly enough to articulate this.
but it's what i'm doing.
cheeerrrs

11-28-2011 04:25:23 | More by patm1986
MsRif

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This was simply WAY too boozy for my taste when it comes to beer. I appreciate what BrewDog was going for...but this is not very drinkable. Poured from a bottle that I had on my first date with my now husband. Golden color with NO head and NO lacing. Looked honestly like liquor...sure smelled like it as well! In all fairness, there was a huge hoppy nose. A bit of citrus, but I was so distracted by the boozy smell that I was honestly apprehensive to try this. Tasted of...booze. Hops were there as well. I definitely made a face...and not a good one...when I tried this. I think I chased it with another beer. Maybe I can't appreciate the "style" but I just didn't care for it.

Mouthfeel was THICK...syrup-like. Definite alcohol burn...felt like I was doing shots...not a good thing when I am drinking a beer. It was neat to try this rare brew but I would NEVER have it again. Sometimes rarity hypes up brews a bit too much.

10-29-2011 01:23:08 | More by MsRif
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.33/5  rDev -63.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber-hued body. It's still, but check out those legs.

Smell: Lacquery, quick-drying wood varnish, some perceived earthy hops, some caramelized sugars, but it's quite sharp and quite painful.

Taste: Rasping hop bitterness and coarsely fusel akin to a poisoning sip of rubbing alcohol. A beer that quickly leaves you flustered and out of patience (and money).

Mouthfeel: It's hard to distinguish the viscosity of the beer as your mouth starts writhing the instant it hits your tongue.

Overall: Unenjoyable and undrinkable. A proudly gimmicky, unnecessary beer at an equally obscene price.

10-16-2011 16:13:28 | More by ChainGangGuy
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Shared with Paisan at Delirium Cafe in Brussels, Belgium!

After deliberating the purchase online and flat out refusing to drop the 130 a bottle in addition to the other bottles needing to be purchased in order to ship them, I was suddenly presented the opportunity when seeing it at Delirium cafe in Brussels Belgium.

Even more surprisingly BA Paisan asked me if we would care to split a bottle with them. Given this option I had absolutely no choice in the matter and I had to give in to the temptation. Split 4 ways, this was a great opportunity to try Sink the Bismarck!

Body was thick and viscous and had tears going down like a good strong Port would. Deep caramel in color and no signs of carbonation though there was a hiss when opened and after being capped there was another hiss upon its second opening.

Aroma of strong unworldly hop presence. I thought of all of the poor hops that must have been sacrificed in order to create this "beer".

Deep dark pepper up front from the assault on my tongue. There was licorice and pepper pounding me in the face. Throat burn and all out warfare on my mouth from the amazingly deep rich and pungent hop and booze flavors. We all agreed that this was so strong it nearly rivaled a good scotch in complexity however an entire bottle of scotch could have been purchased for a similar price.
Overall i enjoyed drinking sink the Bismarck. I wouldn't purchase it again , would gladly have it again, but was glad to have tried it with new friends and a great beer waiter upstairs at the cafe.

Edit: for the record there is no way this is an Imperial IPA, as it is in a style class by itself and maybe two other beers at this time and I have rated it as such.

10-14-2011 19:05:09 | More by alpinebryant
Arbitrator

1.4/5  rDev -61.6%

Bottle into a glass. Courtesy of beddachedda, who apparently makes enough chedda to think spending the money on a BrewDog product is a good idea. Evan, you're a prince among men, but there are many sayings about being bad with money, and "He who buys BrewDog is doomed to financial ruin" is at the top of the list.

A: This has a light haze to it, which is odd for a distilled spirit (isn't it?). I don't even know how to rate this. It's mildly leggy, I suppose. I'll give it a 3.5, and that's as high as I'll go, because it's BrewDog.

S: Oh lordy, this is hilarious. It's hops schnapps. That fiery burn of cheap vodka infused with something herbal and earthy. I'm picturing two guys making this in their bathtub while dressed in penguin costumes.

T: A bit like bottled evil. This is quite hoppy, and not in a flavorful way: it's just bitter, earthy, herbal, and boozy. I suppose it accomplished what it set out to do, but that doesn't mean it needed doing, or that I'm going to applaud it. In some ways this is geared toward the fratboy subset of the BA crowd. "Your IPA isn't imperial enough? Boy, do we have the fortifier for you."

Evan pointed out that this is better in larger sips, and despite much mockery from me, I found out he was right. The small sips bring out the harsh burn, while smaller sips bring out some flavors and suppress the burn a bit. It's sort of like being kicked in the groin vs. kicked in the stomach, but I know what I prefer.

M: Boozy.

O: I'd just like to say that it says a lot about BeerAdvocate that this merits a B for the style. For any style.

09-26-2011 05:47:17 | More by Arbitrator
rarbring

Sweden

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This drink is slightly clouded amber, no head, no lacing, but curtains.

The smell is besides alcoholic, grape, rose water and a general dried grassy hops.

Basically fiery alcoholic hop schnapps.

No carbonation, boozy, coarse and dry.

Basically hops in (bad) booze, try once. Grappa is better!

09-23-2011 18:17:02 | More by rarbring
zaphodchak

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Somehow a trace of surface carbonation, mysteriously. Burnt umber body. Good legs.

Smells like IPA-flavored liquor. Heavy (vaguely citrusy) hops, some honey malt, and tons of booze.

Bitter face time! Smack of hops and booze is balanced by sweetness (caramelized hops), some malty honey, and some of that mango(?)

Mouthfeel is like whiskey, what did I expect?

So intense. What does it mean?

09-22-2011 04:50:27 | More by zaphodchak
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml corked (rubber) and caged bottle 41% Abv.
Batch 16 BB 14/08/21
Served chilled in a Brewdog Teku glass

Thanks to the guys at Brewdog for sending this to me as part of the prize for their photo competition.

Appearance: Wow, I knew this beer would be syrupy, but I had no idea it would be like this! It took a while to get the last bit out of the bottle. If I excuse the fact that there is no head (who expects a head from a 41% beer anyway?) this is a great looking beer. Deep orange/amber body with golden edges and red highlights, very sticky - leaves massive legs on the glass when swirled.

Smell: Expecting my nose to be severely burned by the alcohol my first sniff was pretty tentative; but I was shocked to find something that actually smelled like an IPA. Alcohol is present (how could it not be), but it most certainly does not overwhelm the nose. In fact there is far less than in my favorite scotch.
On close inspection the nose reveals masses of sugar, malt extract, piney hops, a little citrus (orange liqueur), hints of peaches (similar to the syrup from tinned peaches) and strawberries as well as a touch of cough syrup.

Taste: As with the nose I am shocked how little booze I taste - sure it warms your mouth and burns a little on the way down, but nothing like what I have heard.
The first sip is hop dominated and there is a distinct resemblance to hardcore IPA. In subsequent sips the hops are somewhat are lost behind a mountain of sugar, honey and malt extract. As the beer warms there is a distinct cough syrup/ herbal liqueur note that’s not overly pleasant. A touch of smoke is also noted.

Mouthfeel: I never thought I'd say this - but this beer is a bit too syrupy. It is carbonated but it needs a whole lot more for the body.

Overall: This beer feels like it should supersede ratings; I mean what do you compare it to?
A fantastic experience and great fun to share with friends, but sadly not something I would buy again.

09-19-2011 08:42:48 | More by Thehuntmaster
largadeer

1.2/5  rDev -67.1%

Thanks to Evan for wasting a bunch of money on this so we could tick it.

Pours a dark shade of amber with little in the way of carbonation, though I poured my glass a while after the bottle had been opened. It's pretty leggy and syrupy, like you'd expect from an 80 proof beer. The nose is unabashed booze, with a ton of caramel sweetness to back it up. Hops are there, yeah, but they've got a stale characterless quality to them. As bad as it smells, it tastes even worse. The combination of cloying sweetness and burning alcohol overwhelms nearly any depth of flavor this might have. There's a bit of green/herbal hop flavor and slight smokiness toward the mid-palate, and then brash, burning booze takes over and destroys any actual flavors you might have picked up otherwise, along with your palate for the rest of the day. Pretty horrid stuff.

09-13-2011 01:19:26 | More by largadeer
DJButters

Tasted 9/2/11@ Haus Staudt - Snifter

Appearance: Surprisingly not as dark and thick as I would have expected. Very thin and light, think more like a scotch or cognac.

Smell: dear good what did i get myself into? I only poured in about an ounce or two and the alcohol is overwhelming. However along with that there is a sweet barleywine presence here. Roasted hops and caramel.

Taste: This is difficult to explain. The notes are there but are faint and easily overwhelmed by the shear volume of alcohol present. I would have liked to seen this aged in a oak cask for about... 12 years. This is just difficult to drink. In hindsight perhaps a few cubes of ice would have helped.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not great either. Nothing to chug or gulp but smooth none the less.

Drinkability: Difficult. Listen, I am a scotch drinker by trade and some are near 60%, but this needs something it is clearly lacking. It needs time to cool off and age in some oak, IMO. Notes are good but faint, and alcohol is abundant.

Overall; Glad to have tried it. You wont see me seeking it out.

09-07-2011 20:01:43 | More by DJButters