Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by davod23:
davod23

2.73/5  rDev -25%

An odd beer, and a tough review. Poured from the bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance is a thick golden color. I poured several small glasses of this, and found that a couple were more clear than others. Shockingly a head materialized, but obviously dissipated rapidly with the 41% abv.

Smell - interesting. About what I expected. Tons of hops, very oily, which was only offset by the massive smack of booze to my face. Pine, earthiness and tropical presence there too.

Taste... ah. Massive booze, obviously. Even more than expected. Hops are pronounced, but there's also a medicinal quality on the back end of this. Reminds me a bit of fresh 120 Minute, but stronger, harsher. And I don't care for 120 Minute.

Mouthfeel isn't bad. It's oily and medium-full bodied, spirit-like. Carbonation is barely there, if at all.

Drinkability is real bad. Real, real bad. I only drank an ounce, maybe 1.5. I actually took the remainder and poured it back into the bottle. And this isn't me rating this out of some inability to handle strong beer/booze - I love Utopias, bourbon, and scotch. This was far, far less drinkable than any decent bourbon or scotch, and cannot even compare to Utopias (which I could drink a full glass of with no problem).

This is a novelty, a fun effort, and worth trying if you can find 11 friends to split the bottle with you.

11-29-2010 23:56:44 | More by davod23

Sweden

02-22-2014 12:06:00 | More by Goofster
imscotty

1.95/5  rDev -46.4%

Thank you to my friend Bob who unleashed this monster at his Superbowl gathering. It was... unforgettable

A: When the bottle was opened we were surprised to hear it pop. Still, no evidence of carbonation when poured, no head to speak of. The beer is a fairly clear deep dark amber.

S: The aroma sharply hits you with alcohol and hoppy herbal bitterness. It is very sharp and forewarns you of what is to come. Yes, there are also sherry and caramel aromas, but the sharp alcohol hoppy bitterness overwhelms.

T: Wow, I mean wow. A bitter peppery burning bomb goes off in your mouth. Many reviewers talk about the alcohol burn, that is to be expected at 41 abc, but what is amazingly intense is that bitter peppery burn. I suppose it is the bitter hops used, but it tastes like you are sucking wet peat dipped in Cayenne pepper. What I am trying to say is that I found this almost undrinkable it was so extreme. My lips puckered and burned, the back of my throat tightened.

My share of the bottle was poured into a 6 oz glass, I drank maybe 2 oz. If I took the tiniest of sips and nursed those two ounces over an entire day maybe I would have enjoyed it more. The half hour I actually spent drinking those two ounces was too much, too intense.

M: I do no know what to say about this, there was nothing wrong with the viscosity. But I actually found this mouth numbing. Did you ever get novocaine at the dentist and some of it drips on your tongue and burns and numbs at the same tie? It was like gargling with novocaine and napalm.

O: I suppose the brewers accomplished what they set out to do. It was certainly a memorable experience. It was an education in the extreme of what pure distilled alcohol infused bitter hop would taste like. I suggested to my friends that one or two DROPS of Sink the Bismarck in a regular IPA would probably add some nice flavor and complexity. Have you ever tasted vanilla extract, it is too much. But a few drops can make a delicious ice cream. Well this is the vanilla extract of beers and I found it undrinkable in this form.

Note: A few hours have past since my tasting and my mouth is still burning and numb. I hope I will be able to taste again.

02-03-2014 03:10:55 | More by imscotty
deniserat

01-23-2014 00:12:38 | More by deniserat
xk6m6m5x

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%

the only thing I liked about this beer was the mouth feel and the abv....it tasted and smelled like whiskey made with hops to me. nice silky mouth feel, thick and smooth until it finishes, very ,very ,hot not saying it isn't a good beer just not my thing

01-02-2014 21:24:18 | More by xk6m6m5x
wordemupg

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml corked and caged bottle into tulip a few weeks back, from notes

A brownish amber, no bubbles, no lace, long thin legs and it leaves a little color on the glass, looks like a sticky spirit and I suppose it should at this point

S there's a booze sting on deep whiffs but if their wasn't I'd be worried, loads of caramel, lots of raisin, pine, citrus, burnt brown sugar and more caramel

T still heavy on the heat but that's to be expected, piney caramel concentrate, tastes like a hop spirit, I like it much more then I thought I would

M syrup, not syrupy its syrup, hot, numbing, and flat, my lips are stuck together and I'll be tasting pine and caramel tomorrow at this rate

O way better then I expected, I really liked this stuff, I'm kinda wishing I saved a little to put on a cheesecake, I could see that working well

I did a flaming shot of beer, not many people can say that I'm sure. this was a surprise for me, I thought this would be a drain pour but I actually liked it a fair bit but I doubt I'd drop another 100$ on one

12-14-2013 02:09:11 | More by wordemupg