1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
Reviews by salvo:
3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

In comparison to Tactical Nuclear Penguin (BrewDog's "other" extreme offering), Sink the Bismarck is actually drinkable. Deep sweet nose of malt and hops; extreme and powerful, but (dare I say?) balanced for the weight and burn of the alcohol. Deep sweet stone fruit taste: plums and dark, sweet cherries underneath layers and layers of hops.

I feel really lucky to have tried Sink the Bismarck and I am very grateful that it was available by the dram at the new BrewDog bar in Edinburgh in the Cowgait. I cannot help thinking that I would much rather savor the complexities of the 16 year old Lagavulin distiller's select rather than this … liquid.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Bottle served at the Common Table in Dallas.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the alcohol along with some brown sugar and piney hop notes. The beer smells a lot like a super-hopped American Barleywine.

The flavor is more of the same with a few notes added. I get a ton of alcohol - which is expected when the beer is 82 proof. However, as the beer warms, I also get a lot of the resiny and piney hops, as well as a lot of caramel malt. There is a ton of alcohol in the flavor and the beer is very warming as you drink it. It may not taste like 41 percent, but the beer definitely tastes like a drink that is 15 plus percent alcohol by volume. That being said, even with all of the alcohol, the beer is drinkable and tastes like a quadruple IPA or whatever BrewDog wants to classify this beer.

The beer is completely flat and has a medium to full mouthfeel. A very interesting beer. Not sure if it is worth the price, but definitely something worthy of trying one time if you can get it at the right price.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

375ml caged and synthetically corked bottle. Been sitting on this one for well over a year, waiting for just the right time to crack it. Since no occasion has come to pass that wasn't already spoken for, I figured that the anniversary of Otto von Bismarck's namesake battleship's demise would suffice. As well, I can't help but be reminded of Johnny Horton's ditty of the same name, one my mother (70 years young a few days ago) led me to lo these many years ago.

This beer pours (after a few frustratingly arduous attempts to open) a clear, dark ruby brown hue, with only a few sparse soda bubbles tending to the perimeter in terms of head or lace. Kind of subtly ominous, I must say.

It smells pungent, and then heady, and then a bit in your face - deep, concentrated black fruit esters, fresh leather, tawny port wine, wet cigar ash, edgy, somewhat bready caramel/toffee, leafy smoked wood, and a further perfumed floral citrus warmth.

The taste is hyper-dense caramel pudding, sharp, prickly muddled citrus, like hot grapefruit and citrus vodka, oiled leather, reduced warm brown sugar, a certain woody, lightly smoked meatiness, gritty molasses, the darkest of soy sauces, a heavy cherry and red grape musty fruitiness, soaked tobacco leaf, and more big, beefy grapefruit, orange and pine hops, obfuscated somewhat in their bloated state, but punchy all the same.

The carbonation is there, surprisingly enough, but only in trace amounts, the body more than evocative of the biggest, stupidest meathead you might have seen in the gym or outside a random nightclub - bursting at the seams, with a weightiness not found in nature - hmmmm - and as smooth as a waist-high shelf whisky blended with big-ass west-coast IPA hops could expect to be, which actually works here, somewhat astonishingly. It finishes pretty sweet, though most of that comes from the alcohol, duh, and the tropical fruitiness that has the oysters to stick it out above all that other steroidal mishmash.

It is what it is - a (beer-oriented, I'm guessing they actually meant) spirit derived from grain - so the heretofore (ok, there was TNP) untested status of this 'brewery' here is understandable. I'm just glad to see the substantial hops of the base style style alive and well, if in a sort of zombie-esque state, which renders this in the end a so-so sipper. The Scottish have a propensity for distancing themselves from all things British, so I find it nice of them to rekindle a 72 year-old WW2 naval battle, one more than the 15 miles of note away. For the 110 or so Canuck retail dollars, I will just have to save some of this for my weekly viewing of Mad Men this evening, wherein I typically quaff a dram or two in deference to the habits of those mainly antiquated (?) characters.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

A unique experience, that transends the ratings. Bottle from the brewer, wrapped in a paper bag with a 41%! warning on it, and a bottle stopper should you choose self-control and drink some many hours later. Grapefruit colour with amber highlights, and lacey. The aroma of many hops is a side-show. The taste, and its a sipper and full mouthfeel, is a bitter hopped melange in a river of high alcohol, and mid-sip a little sherryish. Undertstated carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Somehow a trace of surface carbonation, mysteriously. Burnt umber body. Good legs.

Smells like IPA-flavored liquor. Heavy (vaguely citrusy) hops, some honey malt, and tons of booze.

Bitter face time! Smack of hops and booze is balanced by sweetness (caramelized hops), some malty honey, and some of that mango(?)

Mouthfeel is like whiskey, what did I expect?

So intense. What does it mean?

Tasted 9/2/11@ Haus Staudt - Snifter

Appearance: Surprisingly not as dark and thick as I would have expected. Very thin and light, think more like a scotch or cognac.

Smell: dear good what did i get myself into? I only poured in about an ounce or two and the alcohol is overwhelming. However along with that there is a sweet barleywine presence here. Roasted hops and caramel.

Taste: This is difficult to explain. The notes are there but are faint and easily overwhelmed by the shear volume of alcohol present. I would have liked to seen this aged in a oak cask for about... 12 years. This is just difficult to drink. In hindsight perhaps a few cubes of ice would have helped.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not great either. Nothing to chug or gulp but smooth none the less.

Drinkability: Difficult. Listen, I am a scotch drinker by trade and some are near 60%, but this needs something it is clearly lacking. It needs time to cool off and age in some oak, IMO. Notes are good but faint, and alcohol is abundant.

Overall; Glad to have tried it. You wont see me seeking it out.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

An odd beer, and a tough review. Poured from the bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance is a thick golden color. I poured several small glasses of this, and found that a couple were more clear than others. Shockingly a head materialized, but obviously dissipated rapidly with the 41% abv.

Smell - interesting. About what I expected. Tons of hops, very oily, which was only offset by the massive smack of booze to my face. Pine, earthiness and tropical presence there too.

Taste... ah. Massive booze, obviously. Even more than expected. Hops are pronounced, but there's also a medicinal quality on the back end of this. Reminds me a bit of fresh 120 Minute, but stronger, harsher. And I don't care for 120 Minute.

Mouthfeel isn't bad. It's oily and medium-full bodied, spirit-like. Carbonation is barely there, if at all.

Drinkability is real bad. Real, real bad. I only drank an ounce, maybe 1.5. I actually took the remainder and poured it back into the bottle. And this isn't me rating this out of some inability to handle strong beer/booze - I love Utopias, bourbon, and scotch. This was far, far less drinkable than any decent bourbon or scotch, and cannot even compare to Utopias (which I could drink a full glass of with no problem).

This is a novelty, a fun effort, and worth trying if you can find 11 friends to split the bottle with you.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Grading as a spirt:

A: Dark, dark amber. Like fine bourbon. Mild carbonation with no head. Thick alcohol coating on glass.

S. Hot spirit smell. Much like sweet honey with a light cedary/pine undertone.

T: Sweet syrup with spicy pine. Alcohol.

M: Full, plumy, viscous body. Chewy, mildly carbonated spirit. Somewhere between a port, a bourbon, and a beer.

O: A must try if you can split it amongst three other friends. Nice to try but not a daily drinker.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

1.55/5  rDev -57.3%

I decided to refrain from reviewing beer unless my feelings were very strong, one way or the other. Respectfully to prior reviews, I can't help but conclude that BrewDog is just laughing at every one of us. This beer simply must be a BrewDog prank.

It looks ok, although nothing special and actually opened with some carbonation pressure and there was a bit of carbonation.

The nose is actually wonderful to the extent that you smell huge, pure hops. I felt like I'd taken a handful of hops, squeezed and squeezed them in my hands and then smelled them. A good and complex honey/hoppy nose.

Then, I tasted it. Are you kidding? It is not drinkable. It is pure, strong hop oil. End of story. There is a brief second of sweet honey on the front of your tongue and then your palate is destroyed by hop oil; hop essence. You can't "drink" this - one must take a very small sip. Most of us at this tasting took a small "normal" taste and every single person either made a bad face, gagged or spit it out quickly. One guy saw the reaction of those tasting it before him and refused to taste it!

The hop bitter oil finish and flavor is such the palate wrecker that the flavor numbs your tongue and senses and it lasts for 45 minutes, no other beer or spirit or liquid "making it go away."

I've tasted well over 4,000 beers in the past 3-4 years. This is hands down the most offensive.
Just my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

330 ml bottle, Batch 009, best before 16-08-20. I've had this bottle for at least a year so I know it's not exactly fresh. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with a very small fizzy cola-like head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing at all. It also has legs like liquor does when I swirl the beer around the glass. Aroma is mostly boozy, it also smells like dried fruits, apricots, candied oranges, plums, caramel and some hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like sweet booze, dried/candied and tropical fruit, pine hops, honey, and also an herbal/medicinal flavor. It's weird, I can feel the alcohol burn going down my throat when I drink it, but the other flavors linger around a while in the finish so I can actually taste something other than the booze. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's syrupy, slick and coating with low carbonation. I have to say it's a unique brew, and overall I did like it. I'd try it again in the future, but next time I should probably split the bottle with someone instead of drinking it all myself.

2.15/5  rDev -40.8%

Had it at this new bar in new haven called cask republic.

A- Golden in color, slightly hazy.
S- The smell is very impressive, very strong alcohol aroma, almost burns the nostrils. Strong hop smell overpowered by alcohol.
T- Taste more like a scotch/wiskey than a beer prob due to the high alcohol content. I feel the taste can be duplicated if you mix 1 part vinegar, 1 part Sambuka, and 2 parts jameson.
M-thick and burns most of the way down
D-not easily drinkable, the snifter I had was plenty.

I feel that some people are trying to justify spending so much on this beer by giving it a good rating. I consider it a waste of money, just brewdog trying to make the highest alcohol content beer but sacraficing taste while doing so.

The best thing about this beer, in my opinion, is you can say you drank a beer with 41% alcohol.

Nothing against brewdog either. I had the brewdog/stone bashah for the first time that night and that was top notch.

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow.
A: Rich gold to amber hue. Pours like scotch with zero head.

S: My first words: "it actually smells good!" Big resinous hop aroma and a solid malty backbone evident. I was expecting a bigger version of Tactical Nuclear Penguin but it's an entirely different beast. Smells like the biggest IPA you ever sniffed.

T: Huge. The resinous hops hit you up front before a massive sweet malt kicks in, then the big boozy finish rounds it out. The burn from the alcohol is there but not in the way I'd expect from a scotch. Actually quite smooth. Epic, delicious, moorish.

M: Thick and sweet. Syrupy. Not much carbonation evident at all, maybe a slight tingle on the tongue.

O: Quite an epic beer. Pretty much the essence of IPA. It's like drinking the spirit from which all beer was made. If you've seen that Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse buy a squishy made entirely from syrup then you'll know what I mean.

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I sure like your pixie drink!

Happy Trizzle?

1.2/5  rDev -66.9%

Thanks to Evan for wasting a bunch of money on this so we could tick it.

Pours a dark shade of amber with little in the way of carbonation, though I poured my glass a while after the bottle had been opened. It's pretty leggy and syrupy, like you'd expect from an 80 proof beer. The nose is unabashed booze, with a ton of caramel sweetness to back it up. Hops are there, yeah, but they've got a stale characterless quality to them. As bad as it smells, it tastes even worse. The combination of cloying sweetness and burning alcohol overwhelms nearly any depth of flavor this might have. There's a bit of green/herbal hop flavor and slight smokiness toward the mid-palate, and then brash, burning booze takes over and destroys any actual flavors you might have picked up otherwise, along with your palate for the rest of the day. Pretty horrid stuff.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog