Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

A - A copper-red body with minimal carbonation. A trace of head leaves a light wispy trails at the surface. There is a something extremely interesting in this beer. Actual oils can be seen at the surface when held to a dark background.

S - Subtle pine to slightly stronger roasted aroma. Spicy hops are just on the short side of sour alcohol.

T - Pine and roast caramel are present amongst sweet toffee and grapefruit. Floral, spicy hops along with a sour backdrop make up the rest of the flavors all falling just below burning alcohol.

M - While the beginning, middle and ending are worthwhile, the finish leaves much to be desired. The burning in the finish really makes the beer difficult to swallow. That being said it does have some very fine qualities in that it is very thick and chewy. It is also one of the stickiest brews I've encountered.

~ Based on my anticipation of likely never sampling this brew again, I still wish I could but really no more than once a year. This is a a sippin' drink that you should certainly seek out. If you are able to pick one up, enjoy it with a good group of friends, just as I did.

cdkrenz, Aug 19, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Brewdog tasting session with friends (keeps the cost down).

Poured into a snifter this brew was orange, sticky, oil covered the top of the brew when looking into it and there was nearly no carbonation to speak of. The aroma was very bright and bold with a lot of grapefruit and other citrus up front and a strong sense of floral hops as a backbone. There was a slight pine nose as well. The first taste was so smooth. There was such a minimal hint of alcohol in this brew and for 41% I found that amazing! The hop presence in this brew was fantastic. Every sip I took was impressive. The stickiness was very noticeable as well as the oily hops. This was a phenomenal brew to make and even better to try.

WJVII, Aug 18, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz bottle, opened for Adam's birthday and split 10 ways. Happy Birthday dude, hope you have a great year ahead of you! As the provider of the bottle, me (and of course the birthday boy) got about 2oz's while everyone else got 1oz. The bottle opened with a small hiss then poured relatively still, as expected.

Looks interesting in the glass. It's a cloudy orange color that is very reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but with just a touch more orange. Cloudy as all get-out, perhaps the first sign that a storm's coming.

Holy shit. This has just a devastating smell. The first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover. Bummer. But when I get past that and dig a little deeper, there's a really cool apricot and orange hoppiness underneath, I just need to push through some layers of wretched alcohol burn to get it. Once the "beer" "opens up", there's a nice syrupy hoppiness that really does pack a wonderful punch to the olfactories. The nail polish remover burn dissipates, but there's a weird saltiness that sticks around. Just an odd collection of smells, but a unique and powerful experience. I have to rate this in the middle because that's the best compromise I can make. It's awesome one second and wretched the next.

Taste is one-of-a-kind. I'd compare it to a mixture between a nice DIPA, a honey mead like Apis, the salt I use on my driveway during the wintertime, and moonshine. My tastebuds gradually become used to the weirdness and I can appreciate this as a liquor, and some hoppy, flowery, and bitter flavors I like in extreme beer do come out from time to time. Plus, at 82 proof, I don't want to ding this for the hotness. But I need to give it a number, so I must make some comparisons and compromises. Therefore, just like the nose, we need to split the difference and call this average.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and stingy. Not horrible, just not ideal. Again, we'll give this anomaly the benefit of the doubt and give it a somewhat respectable score.

However, when we get to drinkability, things must get real. At least half of the people drinking this couldn't finish an ounce. Perhaps the most undrinkable beer I've ever had.

For someone considering purchasing this or trading for it, I want to give a bit more insight since it can run over $75 a bottle when imported. I honestly can't believe there are people giving this A+ ratings. Yes, I know it's all a matter of preference, but let me explain. In the recent Beer Advocate magazine, there was an article about objectively better beer. I didn't believe that was appropriate until now. While I understand that everyone has the right to say that something struck their palate a certain way, giving this beer scores worthy of world-class ales is just wrong. It's objectively inferior to beers that are actually pleasure to drink. I'm not saying others don't have the right to an opinion, I just don't trust that they rated on the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability of the beer.

The bottom line here is that the gimmick won over the quality of the experience when drinking the product. This is just a hodge-podge of great and horrible and, while it's something I'm happy to have had the chance to sample, I would never buy again, even at $20 a bottle. I probably wouldn't even accept a free sample. Quit the bullshit, BrewDog, and get back to making drinkable beer. This is the beverage equivalent of a car with a satellite radio equipped blue-tooth nav system, heated leather seats, and no wheels.

jampics2, Aug 15, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured into a small taster glass at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, I got to try this on two different occasions from two different bottles...

I'm saying it now, and I think that even the brewers at Brew Dog would agree: it's a gimmick. It is punk; and for that I love it...but it doesn't make for a good tasting 'beer.' Not even a good liquor, really...and I LOVE IPAs!! The problem is, when you freeze any liquid, the ice crystals that form can break down more complex aromatics and congeners that were present after the initial fermentation. So, in the case of Sink the Bismark! you've basically engineered a very strong, but very skunked IPA.

The NOSE is - as has been said/could have been guessed - incredibly hot and full of resinous, oily hops. Not much else. The heat from the alcohol doesn't really transfer to the palate in lieu of the thick, oily, SALTY and bitter pine that sticks to the side of your tongue and completely overwhelms most of your other senses. 82 proof, stale hop-oil. I honestly felt like I was tasting the inside of a 2-week old, room temperature Randall...that was full of salt.

If people can really get so much more out of this to call it, "complex,"...good for them. I'd love to be able to taste anything (or to enjoy this) myself, but I'm pretty sure that the real magic behind it is the fact that you're trying one of the craziest things to come out of any brewery. Ever.

Brew Dog, I salute you...

...but if I want to enjoy tasting your craft, I'll stick with the Hardcore IPA.

whiskeysoda, Aug 06, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

Here I am. After 580-some beer reviews, I'm finally jaded enough that I must resort to drinking gimmicky PR stunts instead of proper ales to get my kicks.

So be it.

I was not expecting any carbonation from this beer, so I was pleased at the modest, volatile froth that rose to the occasion when I poured this into a snifter. The body is akin to a fine cognac - thick and amber and long in the legs.

Smelling it is actually not so different from smelling any other double IPA that's been distilled to five times its strength. In other words, it's like smelling a bagful of hop cones. Resinous, dusty, citric, floral - a bundle of wildflowers, a bale of hay, a Christmas tree. This is essentially a hop liqueur. Not a bitter, but bitters. Campari fans, take note.

The flavor is fruity, complex, and very hot - but not hotter than it ought to be. This is like a brandy, a whisky - but one flavored with copious amounts of hops. For a beer known for its excess and potency, it is surprisingly balanced - neither too sweet nor too bitter, and though it is warming it is no hotter than a good scotch or rum.

As for how it actually tastes, it is a sort of mix of honey, tequila, rosewater, Irish whiskey, Akavit, Campari, spicy cress, nettles, bitter greens, and sour lemon. It's amazingly complex considering the dominant flavor can be described in one word: hops.

This is a very interesting beer, and a remarkably drinkable one, provided you know how to drink it. Some question whether this can actually be called a beer but there is simply nothing else to call it. It is beer through and through.

soulgrowl, Aug 04, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +32.3%

Received this as a birthday present from my girlfriend, she ordered it online... yes, I know, she is a definite keeper... Also, this review is:

Sink the Bismark!
Wisecracka ft. Enlight

A: A beautiful, opaque golden amber. No lacing or "head" due to the whopping 41% abv. There is a "watered down" look at the top of the beer and a color gradient that increases down the glass.

S: TAKE NO (HOPPY) PRISONERS. Hops conquer this smell, but it is still complex. It is a mixture of pine hop, fruit hop, a sweet semi-honey smell, and alcohol. Honestly, the alcohol smell is prominent, but it swirls around the combined smell of hops and sweetness. To those that are pure beer people, it will burn like sweet, cleansing fire.

T: The saga begins with pine hops, pine hops, oh beautiful pine hops. Then sweeps down the exceptional tag team of fruity semisweet, an almost honey-like taste mixed with fruity hops that both enforce and warp the dominating pine hop. Then big daddy alcohol joins the party like a sex crazed hell's angel with a broad steak of ethics and morality. It does not impose, but it reminds the drinker of their good fortune; that is, drinking this damn fine beer.

M: The mouthfeel is much like a fine liquor. It doesn't expand to fill the mouth, but it's not thin. It's fills a targeted, definite space on the palate. It is excellent for what the beer attempts to do; that is, be extreeeme.

D: Now i'm at an impasse. As Enlight sagely observes, "this is like an rpg (video game): low replay value, completion is hard won and highly enjoyed". To further the metaphor: Colt 45 has the same drinkability as Sink the Bismark!; however, Colt 45 is a $100-dollar-per-play-pong, while Sink the Bismark! is Final Fantasy 7. You can't keep replaying it over and over, but there is one that will always bring that special smile time and time again. As such, I award this beer with a 4.5 drinkability because I will happily and readily enjoy this beer when fortune favors me with it.

wisecracka, Jul 31, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of this, and I wound up sharing it with my friend (and a couple of his family members) on his wedding day last week.
I poured from the bottle into small snifters. Came out a gorgeously rich golden orange. Slight touch of bubbles and a hair or two of foam on the top, but only for a few seconds.
Smells a little alcoholy, but the hop aromas do come through.
Taste is a fiery blaze of sweet hoppiness- can feel tiny bubbles on the tongue. Burns all the way down, and warms you instantly.
All in all, it's pretty impressive. It's a sipper, but a good one. If you want to put a few hairs on your chest, this is how you should do it!

somenerd, Jul 28, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -52.6%

A big thanks to Eric for sharing this bottle.

A: The pour is surprisingly standard for an IPA. Golden copper/amber color with a fair amount of white head.

S: At first, I quite liked the nose. A lot of hops, primarily resinous and piney in nature. However, if you breathe in a good bit and get the full bouquet, you'll be able to pick out the three main components of this beer: alcohol (cheap vodka), hop extract, and sugar.

T: Though I did enjoy the nose for a moment, the flavor just completely put me off. Even with just a small sip, the alcohol just attacks your tongue. Hot, cheap vodka followed by incredible bitter, hop extract type of flavor and then some table sugar mixed in to try to mellow things out.

M: The body is quite heavy and almost syrupy. It's also hot as hell.

D: Just a few sips was more than enough of this one. I was not a fan of the Penguin, but I thought this was even worse.

womencantsail, Jul 22, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Beautiful mahogany color with smell that stings the nose. Lots of caramel syrupy sweetness in the aroma, similar to 120 minute. Sweet candied hops. Flavor is very sweet and honey like with floral/earthy hops. Alcohol burns long and hard but doesn't taste like 41%.

I feel this beer was made to see who could make the strongest beer in the world but by a random decision to make it a huge IPA it came out to be an incredibly flavorful and eclectic ale. Although it would really be a challenge for a regular beer drinker to finish a full bottle by themselves.

BearsOnAcid, Jul 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

A: poured a caramel brown with yellow highlights that had absolutely no head what so ever and zero lacing.

S: damn beer burnt the shit out of my nose hairs on the first whiff, there really is no way to hide that much amount of alcohol. It is also very hard to sniff out other ingredients when the beer kept hurting my nose but I did get some caramel malt and hops for sure.

T: there is a stupid amount of alcohol that punches your palate right away and does burn like your taking a shot of tequila. It is super hot and to my surprise the hops do pop out and are very tasty which also had the caramel malts.

M: medium body with very low amount of carbonation that had an overwhelming amount of alcohol and tasty hop bite finish.

D: the beer is actually very tasty but damn the alcohol hits you in all directions. I'm still glad I got to try this booze bomb at least once.

Gobzilla, Jul 17, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

Thanks Sammy for getting this one! It pours a deep copper-amber colour with little off-white head. I was a bit surprised how much head there was actually, but it certainly wasn't a lot. I get pine, citrus and floral hops. Quite sticky and boozy, yet delicious. I still get some malt back-bone to this beer. For 41% alcohol, it is hellishly drinkable! After each sip (and you have to sip this) I wanted to have another immediately.

I have no idea how to properly rate this beer because it isn't like anything else I've ever had. It was an awesome experience to try this and I hope to try another bottle some day!

kwjd, Jul 13, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

I was determined to say something disparaging about this beer, but it won me over. I thought the idea was silly, and would not represent beer. But the 'Bismark is a success.

Big thanks to EskimoDave and everyone else who attended. catered for, and brought drinks to a fantastic beer tasting in Victoria last night. The BrewDog special was the centrepiece of the tasting and it topped off a great evening.

My 2oz was a cloudy mid-orange/brown. It looked like an eggcup full of any other imperial IPA. The beer is "technically" carbonated. I counted 5 bubbles. The fizz registers on the tongue, but only very vaguely.

The nose is devastating. It smells like what it is, a massively distilled IPA. I suppose that under the circumstances, a badly balanced IPA would reveal its faults to the nth degree, but this smells fantastic. Rich rich bouquet of sticky hops -- almost eye burning.

It tastes like the soul of an IPA. It is resinous, sticky, very sweet, intensely aromatic, oily on the tongue, and able to fill your mouth and nose completely. It burns a little, but is not unrefined. I find comparisons to scotch completely erroneous. It is its own thing.

If you weren't into hoppy beers, or beers at all, I think this woud taste like some hideous experiment in wrongness. But as a lover of IPAs, I completely appreciated the beer, and cradled the glass long after it had departed, sniffing the last of the aroma greedily.

Great stuff. Very worthwhile, far in excess of my expectations of novelty.

pnkHoody, Jul 12, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

330 ml bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 41%. Sold as "spirits / hard liquor" (40 ml shots) in Norway. Deep reddish orange to amber colour, no head, nor any carbonation. Aroma of piney and catty American hops, hints of fusel alcohols and red berries. The flavour is very sweet, very bitter and loaded with alcohol. Not good.

Sigmund, Jul 01, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

I shared a bottle of this with 4 friends and still took some home to enjoy at a later date.
Pours a cloudy deep orange/amber color with no head at all. Smells of serious pine, citrus, resinous hops and lots of alcohol. Not the good kind of alcohol mind you we are talking about solvents and rubbing alcohol. There's a sweet fruitiness in the aroma I imagine apricots covered in corn syrup. As my sample warms the fruit disappears and is replaced with hopped rubbing alcohol. The taste is unique! Strong, burning alcohol with resinous hops covered in a sugary glaze. Slightly smokey taste in the middle somewhere. There is a long lingering hop bitterness mixed with alcohol burning in the finish. I can feel this beer burn its way down my throat into my stomach. Thick chewy body with a sticky syrupy mouthfeel and light level of carbonation. I'm glad I got to try this unique "beer." Smooth it is not! Beer it is not! 41% abv it is and I can taste and smell every bit of alcohol in my glass. As is I find this kind of meh, but if this were put into some oak and allowed to mellow out some, this might make a damn fine spirit.

johnnnniee, Jul 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +9%

While stronger than Tactical Nuclear Penguin, this beer is surprisingly drinkable for being so high in alcohol content. The hop-oils are so strong that they stand up to the smokiness from the barrels. Sink The Bismarck! may be categorized as "just a novelty", but I found it a rather enjoyable beverage, to be shared with friends. The appearance is a light amber with crazy long legs. It is like a slightly carbonated scotch or whiskey. The aromas are powerful and deep with hops and pepper, also hints of citrus and floral notes. Mouthfeel has heat like a whiskey from all the alcohol. More enjoyable than TNP, the hops are extreme! I appreciate the boldness of experimentation but am sad to see this beer being qualified as a spirit (for US Tax purposes) which will make sales difficult...

Tates, Jun 22, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

This was interesting and I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try it, but I can't say that I particularly enjoyed the experience. I will note that, despite my expectations, Sink The Bismarck! was the clear winner over Tactical Nuclear Penguin. However, it was still just a novelty, rather than an enjoyable beverage. The beer pours a deep amber with great highlights, and it's got good legs, for what it's worth. It looks like whiskey, really. The aroma is exceedingly strong and hoppy. It's one of the strongest hop aromas that I've ever encountered, and that's kinda neat. However, it's a hop aroma that lacks all delicacy and depth. It's mostly turpentine and booze. I was quite interested by the aroma, initially, but after my shock at the strength of it wore off, it was actually a bit disappointing. It's all candied, paint thinner hops, citric with some soapy floral notes. There's a ton of spicy pepper in the aroma as well and, of course, lots of alcohol heat. I got an even bigger dose of booze on the palate, though not as bad as TNP. Mouthfeel is quite rough, like a bizarrely dirty whiskey. In some ways, though more enjoyable, this beer struck me as even more of a gimmick than TNP. The hops are indelicate in the extreme and seem to cover up the beer's faults more than they add to its quality. Plus, the beer had that unpleasant acrid flavor also present in TNP. I appreciate the effort, I appreciate the experimentation, but I don't much like the beer.

popery, Jun 22, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle by James Watt of BrewDog. Thanks, James. Beer is carbonated but the evidence disappears quickly into an orange and hazy beer that leaves a ton of legs on the sides of the glass. I'm fascinated by this behavior of the beer. A real novelty. No head, no lacing.

This is the strongest aroma overall I have ever experienced in a beer. It is lots of hops. The strongest hop aroma I have ever experienced. Lots of alcohol, my eyes were watering. I kept smelling it out of some masochism or some other primal impulse of self abuse. Very awesome.

Beer is thin and holy hell hoppy. Its like hop infused vodka. Very forward, very aggressive. I think I may be blind. Holy crap. I've never had something like this. Last beer for sure (for the record the 15% barleywine my wife was drinking tasted like nothing after this). Just an insane beer.

Drinkability...well. I couldn't drink much of it. When I started to drink it, I coughed. Hard. Don't inhale before you take a sip. Crazy. Glad I did it.

drabmuh, Jun 10, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +26%

After bringing us the polarizing Tactical Nuclear Penguin, Brewdog decide to make yet another extreme ABV beer. While I liked the TNP, it is a totally different brew to this - TNP tasted like something halfway to a whisky, simply tasting nothing like a typical beer, but StB! screams "beer!! beer!!" with every sip. Think over-the-top IPA and then concentrate that into a 41% beast, and that's more or less what you get here.

In appearance it's not astounding - unsurprisingly enough, there's no real head, but some carbonation does appear for a little while, then quickly disappear. Dark orange, light brown color, quite oily in appearance.

The smell is of hops, hops, hops. Not as strong as other DIPA's, but barely any of the alcohol content could be discerned. Not a complete hop-bomb, some fruity, malty characteristics do come out but it's mainly hops you'll be able to smell.

The taste is... astounding. Extremely strong, very bitter but very well balanced at the same time - loads of fruitiness and malts, with a little kick of alcohol. The alcohol is surprisingly indiscernible through the intensity of the hops. The hop character is quite bitter, not as aromatic as a standard DIPA, and leaves a quite oily mouthfeel, with tones of citrus near the end. Great stuff.

Feels great in your mouth as well - like said before, oily and very strong, does not evaporate in your mouth like something of this strength normally does. Drinkability is obviously not high due to the 41%, but once this is taken into account it is extremely drinkable for the ABV. I could easily take this stuff as a replacement for whisky or other hard licor, if only it weren't so expensive. Overall, an absolutely astounding and brilliant beer, and something which I'm hoping to get more of soon. A must-try.

mike130, Jun 06, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

So, this is a really interesting beer. At 41% I had no clue what to expect from it.

The aroma is good but not as amazing as I had hoped. I had gone in not knowing what to expect but thinking that the hop aroma would be big. What I got was a big, malty, alcoholic aroma with notes of toffee and a touch of fruitiness. Interesting and appetising but not the hop bomb I thought I would get.

Appearance wise it was a pretty clear, gold-amber colour with a small, very short lasted off-white head. Slightly oily. Actually very good given the alcohol content.

The taste was something different to anything I've ever had before. Big punch alcohol, massive malt, huge resinous hop oils and a rounding note of citrus. The whole thing came together in a really interesting way that was half spirit, half beer. To be honest, I wanted more hop flavour to counteract the staggering bitterness but I still enjoyed it.

The mouthfeel was both surprising and delightful. Big, oily and mouth-coating but still with a healthy dose of carbonation which helped to cut it just a little bit.

I really like this. It didn't entirely do what I wanted it to do but it was a stunning example of what you can do as a brewer if you really think about it and try something different. I went in relatively ambivalent about whether this was going to be good or bad but after trying it, I think it is at least worth trying. Thanks to Ross from Craftbrewer for giving me a chance to try this.

dgilks, Jun 03, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +35.1%

A: Note: I recommend you smell the cap. You can get the same experience by sticking your head into a bag of hops or shoving two hop cones up your nose. The beer itself reeks of hops and warms to boozy overtones.
A: Pours a caramel brown, no head, no lacing.
F: Hop Assault w/ soy and umami. I believe if distillers were using hops, this would be it. I think this might be what drinking hop oil is like? Smokey and Oak finish.
M: Slick and warms all the way down.
O: It's the hoppiest beer I've ever had in my life, it's the strongest beer I've ever had, and literally the best beer I've ever had the privilege of trying. It's more than a beer, it's an experience that needs to be had.

adkirkish, May 22, 2010

Holy shit....

Recieved a bottle as a gift from one of my loyal patrons at Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, Md.

First of all, a beer weighing in at 41% ABV should taste like a bag of assholes. Any spirit at that level is rarely consumed by itself, whether its vodka, gin, rum, tequila or whiskey...90% of the time there is always an ingredient used to open up the flavor of that spirit. Unless of course it's extremely good, otherwise something is used to cut the harshness of the boozy alcohol aroma and flavor. Yeah, um...not so much with the Bismark.

A-Head? Meh...I'm suprised there is any. However, some carbonation does indeed form. The body is reminiscent of scotch; deep amber in color, with golden highlights around the edges.

S-Boozy! Booze intertwined with high oil hops and caramel malt makes the aroma of this thing unparalleled.

T-Aggressive, in your face, jaw dropping good. Im absoluetly suprised to pick up any hop whatsoever, but I did, and I did in a big way. A few notes of caramel, toffee and smoke are present, but the boozy body stands tall and dominant. for what it is at 41%, the flavor is impressive.

M-Dry-hopped whiskey. A blanket of tingly liquor lays on your tongue, taking over your sense of taste. Your palate might become paralyzed for a few moments, but what other beer has that effect?

D-No, you can't drink a whole lot of this stuff. I only drank about 2oz worth, if I drank the whole 12oz bottle I would be dancing on the bar top with my pants down doing the Mick Jagger. But once again, appreciating for what it is, it is indeed drinkable, and enjoyable.

If you so happen to stumble across a bottle, don't hesitate on opening it, you want to get the hops while they're somewhat fresh. And I highly recommend you consume this with a friend or two.

ATvics, May 12, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Good God Almighty!!! I wanted to hug the Beer Goddess that gave this to me at the flying saucer for hours! This thing was serve to me from the bottle, in about a 4 ounce snifter which was more than enough! I obviously got this at the flying saucer, but not sold by the flying saucer, just provided by their more than generous and kind staff.
Pours a near perfect example of amber body, no head at all, which is what I expected.
Smells of HUGE alcohole, lots of citrus and pine hops along with some skunky barley and caramel notes.
This is one hard beer to drink. It's basically like drinking Hop Bourbon. It's heavey booze is almost a blend of whiskey and rum. A nice hop character that's mostly pine and grassy in nature, but it is really over shadowed by the intense alcohol flavor. It has caramel and toasted character.
Mouthfeel is thick as they come. It's like drinking oil.
Not a beer you could drink... well an entire bottle of!

chaz410, May 04, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Very lucky to get a 1 once pour at the White Horse thanks to Tom Cadden from Brewdog.

A- Amber and a tiny film head but since I only had a shot glass full not sure how head or lacing would be in a larger glass. i do know how I would look after a larger glass and it is not good!

S- Burst of hops with quite a bit more sweetness than I ever expected. Lot's of citrus especially pineapple and grapefruit zest. Then of course the, inescapable alcohol smell is present but very pleasant and warming.

T- WOW! Massive Hop Flavor, sticky pine and sweet citrus all together with a very warming alcohol presence. Even at 41% the alcohol does not overwhelm the other flavors. Everything is pretty equally intense.

M - Not nearly as full or viscous as I would have thought. Medium/light bodied. As expected you can feel the booze heat up the as I swirl it in my mouth.

D - Well there is only so much you can drink safely but if a serving is only an once or two (which is what it should be) then I could definitely have at least one more. This is where I found the rating difficult, but had to give it a decent score as for it's strength it is very drinkable.

This is a tough one to review as it may be a beer but had all of the qualities of a Hop Spirit, and pretty much is the result of a pissing contest with Schorschbräu for the worlds strongest beer.

Really, a Fantastic experience that I am so happy to have been able to sample as I am not spending £40+ for a bottle.

thepeter, Apr 24, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance:

Tonight I'm breaking out a special glass, its a crystal Riedal glass which is shaped to maximize the aroma and bouquet on bourbons and whiskeys. When I popped the bottle believe it or not I got a slight hissing noise which I did not expect from something this high in alcohol. I'm seeing a wonderful rusty red color shine through my glass as I hold it up to the light which is passing though. I gave this a nice swirl and got a very thick lacing running down the sides on my glass almost like port wine.

Smell:

WOW!! This smells like a distilled double IPA. There is a huge bouquet of American hops bursting out of the glass with pure heat and alcohol right behind it. I'm really digging here to pull more smells out of this but all I'm finding is hot boozy fusel alcohol which has similar nose complexity to a fine bourbon or whiskey.

Taste:

Right of the start you are punched in the throat with a overload of hops. Bright citrus, lemony, peachy hops are running amok in your mouth while the malty caramel notes are trying to make there way to the front as well. But again I keep coming back to one thing...alcohol, this beer is damn boozy lets face it. I'm not sure that aging would make any difference because this baby is potent and is just like sipping a fine cognac.

Drinkability:

Do not drink this bottle yourself....I repeat do not try and drink this bottle yourself. This is very risky business here, with a tag of 41% ABV this will try and take you down for the count early. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to split this with a close friend because I never could have done it alone. Hell, even with the both of us going at it , it was still a challenge. I really enjoyed this beer and am thankful that I was fortunate enough to get one especially since there is only 500 currently in the world. This beer comes with a stiff price tag of 70$ per bottle (ouch) and even if you can find it I would be hesitant on the price. So my recommendation grab a few buddies and throw in a few bucks each and order one online that way you can each get enough and not break your wallet.

Bmoyer0301, Apr 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

A unique experience, that transends the ratings. Bottle from the brewer, wrapped in a paper bag with a 41%! warning on it, and a bottle stopper should you choose self-control and drink some many hours later. Grapefruit colour with amber highlights, and lacey. The aroma of many hops is a side-show. The taste, and its a sipper and full mouthfeel, is a bitter hopped melange in a river of high alcohol, and mid-sip a little sherryish. Undertstated carbonation.

Sammy, Apr 12, 2010