Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010

2.05/5  rDev -43.4%

Thank you to my friend Bob who unleashed this monster at his Superbowl gathering. It was... unforgettable

A: When the bottle was opened we were surprised to hear it pop. Still, no evidence of carbonation when poured, no head to speak of. The beer is a fairly clear deep dark amber.

S: The aroma sharply hits you with alcohol and hoppy herbal bitterness. It is very sharp and forewarns you of what is to come. Yes, there are also sherry and caramel aromas, but the sharp alcohol hoppy bitterness overwhelms.

T: Wow, I mean wow. A bitter peppery burning bomb goes off in your mouth. Many reviewers talk about the alcohol burn, that is to be expected at 41 abc, but what is amazingly intense is that bitter peppery burn. I suppose it is the bitter hops used, but it tastes like you are sucking wet peat dipped in Cayenne pepper. What I am trying to say is that I found this almost undrinkable it was so extreme. My lips puckered and burned, the back of my throat tightened.

My share of the bottle was poured into a 6 oz glass, I drank maybe 2 oz. If I took the tiniest of sips and nursed those two ounces over an entire day maybe I would have enjoyed it more. The half hour I actually spent drinking those two ounces was too much, too intense.

M: I do no know what to say about this, there was nothing wrong with the viscosity. But I actually found this mouth numbing. Did you ever get novocaine at the dentist and some of it drips on your tongue and burns and numbs at the same tie? It was like gargling with novocaine and napalm.

O: I suppose the brewers accomplished what they set out to do. It was certainly a memorable experience. It was an education in the extreme of what pure distilled alcohol infused bitter hop would taste like. I suggested to my friends that one or two DROPS of Sink the Bismarck in a regular IPA would probably add some nice flavor and complexity. Have you ever tasted vanilla extract, it is too much. But a few drops can make a delicious ice cream. Well this is the vanilla extract of beers and I found it undrinkable in this form.

Note: A few hours have past since my tasting and my mouth is still burning and numb. I hope I will be able to taste again.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

the only thing I liked about this beer was the mouth feel and the abv....it tasted and smelled like whiskey made with hops to me. nice silky mouth feel, thick and smooth until it finishes, very ,very ,hot not saying it isn't a good beer just not my thing

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml corked and caged bottle into tulip a few weeks back, from notes

A brownish amber, no bubbles, no lace, long thin legs and it leaves a little color on the glass, looks like a sticky spirit and I suppose it should at this point

S there's a booze sting on deep whiffs but if their wasn't I'd be worried, loads of caramel, lots of raisin, pine, citrus, burnt brown sugar and more caramel

T still heavy on the heat but that's to be expected, piney caramel concentrate, tastes like a hop spirit, I like it much more then I thought I would

M syrup, not syrupy its syrup, hot, numbing, and flat, my lips are stuck together and I'll be tasting pine and caramel tomorrow at this rate

O way better then I expected, I really liked this stuff, I'm kinda wishing I saved a little to put on a cheesecake, I could see that working well

I did a flaming shot of beer, not many people can say that I'm sure. this was a surprise for me, I thought this would be a drain pour but I actually liked it a fair bit but I doubt I'd drop another 100$ on one

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Flat, watered down coffee

Aroma - Rubbing alcohol, peppermint(?), soy sauce.

Taste - Similar to aroma.. More alcohol.. Burnt my eyes.

Mouthfeel - Hard liquor

Overall - Not for the faint of heart. Glad I got the chance to try though.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Sink The Bismark! is best drank in a small portion from a really large glass. Dingy golden, it is a shabby looking beer that lacks both highlights and head. As any designated driver can tell you, it's difficult to remove a beer's alcohol without compromising its flavour in the process. The reverse is true too; too much alcohol makes it difficult to appreciate a beer. The burnt sugar, honey, citrus and pine notes of this bouquet are overrun by boozy dark fruit esters.

Peoples' first reaction to a four-times-frozen 41% beer is to ask whether it should even still be considered "real" beer. Well, somewhat surprisingly, this still tastes strongly reminiscent of one; forwardly hoppy, it showcases a ton of resinous pine flavour as well as grapefruit and dried mango and papaya slices. It actually proffers some recognizable maltiness too in the form of caramel squares and scorched toffee.

That's not to say, however, that it tastes entirely like a regular beer. Brewdog has enough barrel-aged and double-digit alcohol offerings to qualify as a distillery - which is just as well because they're not great brewers - and, indeed, alcohol dominates in this one. These esters could warm all of Siberia. It tastes like raisins that have been macerated in cognac.

The burning in my throat aside, I honestly find it surprisingly drinkable for its strength (this is speaking relatively). It's only my first time trying Sink The Bismark! but I assume it's matured in the three years since it was brewed. That said, whereas most stronger beers are overwhelmingly 'hot' or bitter for the first minute until one becomes accustomed, there's no getting accustomed to this. It only grows more and more syrupy, and less and less agreeable.

Many people are probably impressed by a 41% alcohol beer. It sounds complicated to brew, but you know what else is? A dry stout with the appropriate amount of roast; a Kölsch that's both clean and flavourful; a flawlessly balanced Pilsner. These styles are so simple that they provide nothing to hide behind and concede little room for error. They may be more straightforward but they're no less difficult to make (and can be equally impressive).

Sink The Bismark! may be too extreme but let’s not forget part of its purpose is to correct the other end of the scale: industrial sameness and blandness. Of course, that's not it's only purpose; Brewdog is more about selling beer than making it. They may be among the best publicists and advertisers in the world, but they're far from the best brewers. Where do you draw the line? I'd say here would have been a good place.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog