Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

From 4.1% ABV,the Brewdog dinner finally arrives at 41%.

Beer pour a brilliant and still orange, with no head whatsoever. Intense, screaming hop nose, with layers of grapefruit and pine that strain to cover the alcohol, and just fall short of succeding. The flavour shouts scotch, and there's more liquor character to this than beer character. Strong wood, hot alcohol, spice, earth, salt and rye prove a potent force, nad there's still significant c-hop in there to keeo this somewhat beer-like. Definitely a sipper and suited to small samples. The body continues the liquor theme with its oily slickness, which seems to work well here.

A very interesting beer that's a delight to try, though probably not an experience I'd repeat again. Really, its closer to drinking liquor neat than an actual beer, but there is a certain pleasure in sampling something so extreme. (870 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This drink is slightly clouded amber, no head, no lacing, but curtains.

The smell is besides alcoholic, grape, rose water and a general dried grassy hops.

Basically fiery alcoholic hop schnapps.

No carbonation, boozy, coarse and dry.

Basically hops in (bad) booze, try once. Grappa is better! (297 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

12oz bottle, opened for Adam's birthday and split 10 ways. Happy Birthday dude, hope you have a great year ahead of you! As the provider of the bottle, me (and of course the birthday boy) got about 2oz's while everyone else got 1oz. The bottle opened with a small hiss then poured relatively still, as expected.

Looks interesting in the glass. It's a cloudy orange color that is very reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but with just a touch more orange. Cloudy as all get-out, perhaps the first sign that a storm's coming.

Holy shit. This has just a devastating smell. The first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover. Bummer. But when I get past that and dig a little deeper, there's a really cool apricot and orange hoppiness underneath, I just need to push through some layers of wretched alcohol burn to get it. Once the "beer" "opens up", there's a nice syrupy hoppiness that really does pack a wonderful punch to the olfactories. The nail polish remover burn dissipates, but there's a weird saltiness that sticks around. Just an odd collection of smells, but a unique and powerful experience. I have to rate this in the middle because that's the best compromise I can make. It's awesome one second and wretched the next.

Taste is one-of-a-kind. I'd compare it to a mixture between a nice DIPA, a honey mead like Apis, the salt I use on my driveway during the wintertime, and moonshine. My tastebuds gradually become used to the weirdness and I can appreciate this as a liquor, and some hoppy, flowery, and bitter flavors I like in extreme beer do come out from time to time. Plus, at 82 proof, I don't want to ding this for the hotness. But I need to give it a number, so I must make some comparisons and compromises. Therefore, just like the nose, we need to split the difference and call this average.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and stingy. Not horrible, just not ideal. Again, we'll give this anomaly the benefit of the doubt and give it a somewhat respectable score.

However, when we get to drinkability, things must get real. At least half of the people drinking this couldn't finish an ounce. Perhaps the most undrinkable beer I've ever had.

For someone considering purchasing this or trading for it, I want to give a bit more insight since it can run over $75 a bottle when imported. I honestly can't believe there are people giving this A+ ratings. Yes, I know it's all a matter of preference, but let me explain. In the recent Beer Advocate magazine, there was an article about objectively better beer. I didn't believe that was appropriate until now. While I understand that everyone has the right to say that something struck their palate a certain way, giving this beer scores worthy of world-class ales is just wrong. It's objectively inferior to beers that are actually pleasure to drink. I'm not saying others don't have the right to an opinion, I just don't trust that they rated on the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability of the beer.

The bottom line here is that the gimmick won over the quality of the experience when drinking the product. This is just a hodge-podge of great and horrible and, while it's something I'm happy to have had the chance to sample, I would never buy again, even at $20 a bottle. I probably wouldn't even accept a free sample. Quit the bullshit, BrewDog, and get back to making drinkable beer. This is the beverage equivalent of a car with a satellite radio equipped blue-tooth nav system, heated leather seats, and no wheels. (3,519 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -61.1%

Bottle into a glass. Courtesy of beddachedda, who apparently makes enough chedda to think spending the money on a BrewDog product is a good idea. Evan, you're a prince among men, but there are many sayings about being bad with money, and "He who buys BrewDog is doomed to financial ruin" is at the top of the list.

A: This has a light haze to it, which is odd for a distilled spirit (isn't it?). I don't even know how to rate this. It's mildly leggy, I suppose. I'll give it a 3.5, and that's as high as I'll go, because it's BrewDog.

S: Oh lordy, this is hilarious. It's hops schnapps. That fiery burn of cheap vodka infused with something herbal and earthy. I'm picturing two guys making this in their bathtub while dressed in penguin costumes.

T: A bit like bottled evil. This is quite hoppy, and not in a flavorful way: it's just bitter, earthy, herbal, and boozy. I suppose it accomplished what it set out to do, but that doesn't mean it needed doing, or that I'm going to applaud it. In some ways this is geared toward the fratboy subset of the BA crowd. "Your IPA isn't imperial enough? Boy, do we have the fortifier for you."

Evan pointed out that this is better in larger sips, and despite much mockery from me, I found out he was right. The small sips bring out the harsh burn, while smaller sips bring out some flavors and suppress the burn a bit. It's sort of like being kicked in the groin vs. kicked in the stomach, but I know what I prefer.

M: Boozy.

O: I'd just like to say that it says a lot about BeerAdvocate that this merits a B for the style. For any style. (1,590 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks I think to drseamus.

A one ounce pour and trust me that is all you need.

A: The color was nice looking in that it was a fairly clean golden color. No head or carbonation to speak of but that is to be expected.

S: The nose upon opening the bottle was fresh hops which was nice. Once you let this bad boy breath in your snifter for a while the alcohol really let itself be known. Stinging of the nostrils was par for the course with each sip. The hops were behind that.

T: Wow. So thats where all the alcohol was hiding. Tons of alcohol. Some sweetness like a 120 but much more boozy. The hops are there and reminding me that this is a beer but not much else is. If you go into this knowing it is like nothing else it really is not bad. In fact for what it is it brings some enjoyement to the table.

M: This beer had legs. Nuff said.

D: An ounce was perfect. I would not age this beer as the hops are the only thing really keeping this in the beer realm. It is interesting and I am stoked to have tried it. Worth a shot if you have enough people. We had 6 and half the bottle still remains. (1,101 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -54.7%

My cousin was knind enough to bring a few ounces down for me to try(thank god I did not buy it). The pour looked ok, orange tinge, small white head. The nose was sickening sweet booze. The beer tasted like a high octane cheap vodka, all very hot alcohol. The beer has a very syrupy mouthfeel. Even though I had only a few ounces I had trouble finishing it. I did not enjoy this at all. IMO this beer has very little good beer qualaites. After trying this my cousin said he is going to through his bottle of TNP in the cellar for 5 years. (537 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%

330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies. (602 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

On-line Purchase.

Pours with a pfft – zero head, legs not lace. Deep golden brown.

Aromas of butterscotch, caramel, moonshine like rough alcohol. Alcohol dominates.

Taste is alcohol, then a bitter hop flavour takes over. Very bitter indeed. Mouth consuming. Unlike beer, unlike spirits, - I can see why a lot dislike. Need a hop bomb before to start the palate off. Very challenging.

Mouthfeel is a real polariser…. I have never drunk baby oil, so I dunno what that would taste like, but it’s near. Oil central, but it’s warm.

Overall has to be a 5. I’ve drunk the extreme beer of the times. And I survived.
I suspect those that drain pour (or say they do) do not like neat spirit, be it single malt, OP rum etc. It is ‘out there’ but that’s not a huge surprise, now it is?

ADDENDUM - tried this one more than once now.... it works >really< well after having a hop-bomb, American IPA etc etc... much less well if the palate is not primed, as the bitterness comes across somewhat astringent in that case. (1,031 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

After tactical nuclear penguin i wasn't sure what to expect on this one...

Pours a hazy orwngish brown. No head. No carbonation. Looks pretty solid. Smells wonderful on the nose. Scotch and sweet hops. So much hops it's almost perfume. The burn increases as it warms but it's pretty damn impressive! The taste is pretty strong. Hops, lot of citrus and pine. The burn covers it all a bit. Overall very thick syrupy mouthfeel. Pretty damn impressive for what it is! (464 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A small sample pours quite clear, orange coloured with no head what so ever.
S - Sweet caramel malt character with spicy & piney hops & an abundance of solvent alcohol notes.
T - Sweet, dark fruit maltiness with piney, spicy and floral hop notes. Also quite alcoholic obviously.
M - Full bodied, sticky, low carbonation and hefty chest warming alcohol.
D - Glad I tried it but something that I could live without. (417 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT.

L: Pours an amber/orange color with no head whatsoever. It leaves a thick liquid lacing like a wine down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted/toasted/caramelized malts, alcohol, dark fruits, hints of what could be hop aromas.
T: Tastes of sweet malts followed by dark fruit flavors like cherry, raisin, plums, and then a sweet molasses/brown sugar flavor before the alcohol hits and it hits, but that's expected.
M: Heavy, warming, hot, no carbonation (but I don't feel any is needed).
D: OK, due to it's insanely high abv, it's not a very drinkable beer, but if you compare it to tactical nuclear penguin or scotch it is. (669 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Here I am. After 580-some beer reviews, I'm finally jaded enough that I must resort to drinking gimmicky PR stunts instead of proper ales to get my kicks.

So be it.

I was not expecting any carbonation from this beer, so I was pleased at the modest, volatile froth that rose to the occasion when I poured this into a snifter. The body is akin to a fine cognac - thick and amber and long in the legs.

Smelling it is actually not so different from smelling any other double IPA that's been distilled to five times its strength. In other words, it's like smelling a bagful of hop cones. Resinous, dusty, citric, floral - a bundle of wildflowers, a bale of hay, a Christmas tree. This is essentially a hop liqueur. Not a bitter, but bitters. Campari fans, take note.

The flavor is fruity, complex, and very hot - but not hotter than it ought to be. This is like a brandy, a whisky - but one flavored with copious amounts of hops. For a beer known for its excess and potency, it is surprisingly balanced - neither too sweet nor too bitter, and though it is warming it is no hotter than a good scotch or rum.

As for how it actually tastes, it is a sort of mix of honey, tequila, rosewater, Irish whiskey, Akavit, Campari, spicy cress, nettles, bitter greens, and sour lemon. It's amazingly complex considering the dominant flavor can be described in one word: hops.

This is a very interesting beer, and a remarkably drinkable one, provided you know how to drink it. Some question whether this can actually be called a beer but there is simply nothing else to call it. It is beer through and through. (1,599 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

Shared with Paisan at Delirium Cafe in Brussels, Belgium!

After deliberating the purchase online and flat out refusing to drop the 130 a bottle in addition to the other bottles needing to be purchased in order to ship them, I was suddenly presented the opportunity when seeing it at Delirium cafe in Brussels Belgium.

Even more surprisingly BA Paisan asked me if we would care to split a bottle with them. Given this option I had absolutely no choice in the matter and I had to give in to the temptation. Split 4 ways, this was a great opportunity to try Sink the Bismarck!

Body was thick and viscous and had tears going down like a good strong Port would. Deep caramel in color and no signs of carbonation though there was a hiss when opened and after being capped there was another hiss upon its second opening.

Aroma of strong unworldly hop presence. I thought of all of the poor hops that must have been sacrificed in order to create this "beer".

Deep dark pepper up front from the assault on my tongue. There was licorice and pepper pounding me in the face. Throat burn and all out warfare on my mouth from the amazingly deep rich and pungent hop and booze flavors. We all agreed that this was so strong it nearly rivaled a good scotch in complexity however an entire bottle of scotch could have been purchased for a similar price.
Overall i enjoyed drinking sink the Bismarck. I wouldn't purchase it again , would gladly have it again, but was glad to have tried it with new friends and a great beer waiter upstairs at the cafe.

Edit: for the record there is no way this is an Imperial IPA, as it is in a style class by itself and maybe two other beers at this time and I have rated it as such. (1,706 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

A - A copper-red body with minimal carbonation. A trace of head leaves a light wispy trails at the surface. There is a something extremely interesting in this beer. Actual oils can be seen at the surface when held to a dark background.

S - Subtle pine to slightly stronger roasted aroma. Spicy hops are just on the short side of sour alcohol.

T - Pine and roast caramel are present amongst sweet toffee and grapefruit. Floral, spicy hops along with a sour backdrop make up the rest of the flavors all falling just below burning alcohol.

M - While the beginning, middle and ending are worthwhile, the finish leaves much to be desired. The burning in the finish really makes the beer difficult to swallow. That being said it does have some very fine qualities in that it is very thick and chewy. It is also one of the stickiest brews I've encountered.

~ Based on my anticipation of likely never sampling this brew again, I still wish I could but really no more than once a year. This is a a sippin' drink that you should certainly seek out. If you are able to pick one up, enjoy it with a good group of friends, just as I did. (1,129 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -30%

330 ml bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 41%. Sold as "spirits / hard liquor" (40 ml shots) in Norway. Deep reddish orange to amber colour, no head, nor any carbonation. Aroma of piney and catty American hops, hints of fusel alcohols and red berries. The flavour is very sweet, very bitter and loaded with alcohol. Not good. (348 characters)

yea.

light brown. still. syrupy. no head. legs like cognac. i can't generate any head no matter how much i try--heh.

sugar in so many overwrought forms: candied, honied, inverted, burnt, boozy. raisins. booze. caramel. epic sting, huge nose.

barn door, cooked honey, tar, leather, big ol' booze mouth. burned. major medicinal aftertaste.

rich. oily. fiery. leaves a lingering tinge that does not dissipate for a long time.

big doesn't really explain this beverage aptly. i am rating based on the several factors in order of importance:
a) what is this? since this is listed on this site, technically classifying this as a beer, i'm going to treat it for what it is.
b) this is my first beer above about 24% the sheer jolt of its strength alone adds to my reaction in a manner of surprise and intrigue.
c) how does this taste in terms of other things that taste/look/smell as comparably possible?

considering these factors, this is incredible. i like the flavors of cognac, but the heat can be way too abrasive and nearly undrinkable. this beverage meets me in the middle with characteristics and profiles similar to cognac in a form that is much, much more palatable. and cognac is the only reference i have to something like this.
this is beer?
i have one ounce of this in my glass. i think i can sit on this for an hour at least. at least. its heat, consistency, and core flavors are so intense that i don't think a single review after or during .25 oz is nearly enough to articulate this.
but it's what i'm doing.
cheeerrrs (1,538 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

After Tactical Nuclear Penguin, I was prepared for some serious displeasure. Dead wrong.

Appearance -- Pours a golden honey hue, still (as to be expected). Looks like a decent IPA. So far so good.

Smell -- Beaming with bright juicy citrus and tropical fruit and decadent caramel malt. As to be expected, lots of condensed malt sweetness, but the sheer amount of hop aroma in this is mind-blowing.

Taste -- The distilled essence of a West-Coast IPA. Bright tangerine citrusy zest, tropical fruits in abundance, soft caramel-like malt, and nicely pronounced resinous hop bitterness to give balance to the condensed malt sweetness. Boozy, for certain, but for being what is essentially an 80 proof IPA, this is incredibly drinkable.

Mouthfeel -- Syrupy and still, obviously, but with nearly no alcohol burn. Very mellow.

Overall -- I really really REALLY enjoyed this! It's the IPA liquer of your fevered dreams come to life. Unlike TNP, this is brimming with IPA flavor. And so smooth! My only complaint is that, having had an 80 proof IPA, all beers that follow this shall seem insignificant. I'm actually considering buying a bottle.

Additional Notes: I added a few drops of water to the last thimble of Bismarck left in my glass and, boy, did this open up. Like a fine whiskey. Incredible. (1,296 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light amber color, legs when the glass is swirled. It almost looks like a dessert wine.

S: It stings the nostrils. Just taking a big whiff of it makes me want to pass out. There's a definite sweetness from the hops.

T: It's essentially a hop infused whiskey. It's like soothing lava in my mouth. The hops come through very clearly. It's confusing but good.

M: I need some skin grafts on my throat. It's hot with fusels but somehow still drinkable.

D: So glad it comes with a stopper. I shared half the bottle with 5 friends and it was perfect. (551 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -19.7%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for providing what I've been told is beer

This beer pours a viscous deep golden color. Due to the high ABV it's understandable that there is no head to this hard liquor of beers. The smell could strip the paint of a house, god damn is it strong. There's no hops no malts, just pure ethanol in the aroma. It's not horrendous, but I expected better from this beer I guess. The taste honestly isn't as bad as I had anticipated that it would be. That having been said there was some orange, and caramel notes before they got burned off of your tongue. I have the feeling that this beer would be much better like 10 or 20 years down the road, because it needs to mellow out big time. This is not really easy to drink. I only finished my allotment due to being challenged. It's ok, but one hell of a novelty. (848 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had two occasions to taste this beer, both when the brewers were pouring.

Pours a clear coppery gold, with very little head.

Intense aromas of piney hops and citrus peel.

Initial note of sweet malt, then an explosion of concentrated hop flavors, the hoppiest I have yet encountered. The alcohol is obviously notable at 41%, but the hop taste is so fresh and concentrated, it actually stands up to the alcohol well. Finishes with a fruity bitter hop taste that lasts.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick-bodied and oily, but not viscous.

Very drinkable beer in small quantities. Sets a new bar for extreme IPAs and extreme beers. Yet, most people who taste this will recognize it as a beer, which can't be said for many other examples of extreme beers. Sink the Bismarck! is in its own class, but if forced to compare, I'd describe it as Pliny on steroids. (865 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks for sharing, Urbancaver.
From notes

A - clouded amber body, no head or carbonation to speak of (surprise!)

S - Nice floral aroma with tropical fruit and some nice hop characteristics.

T - sweet, tangy!, syrupy, orange/mango (I think I came up with kumquat as being the real thing here), spicy. Booze!

M - thick, pretty crazy (booze)

O (D) - well it's not an IPA of any sort, that's for sure, but it's really not back for a hop liquor. It's definitely worth drinking. Not worth the money, IMO, but if you can try it, don't pass it up. (545 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Beer poured from bottle into Snifter

A - Beer poured with a golden amber colored body; syrupy consistancy and formed "legs" on the side of the glass; no visible carbonation; no head formed

S - The nose has plenty of bite and burn! Aged dark fruits, like caramelized figs and dates; high alcohol laced aromas and grainy; this beer delivers an aromatic knock out punch; lots of pine; oak

T - Taste starts with a semi-sweet flavor of caramel and fruits; oak aged grain alcohol; finishes with a deep burn packed with subtle notes of IPA hop bitterness; figs and dates

M - Syrupy and smooth; lots of action going on in drink; tingly sensations of burning on the top of the palate and continues down the hatch; some bitterness lingers for a bit but is very subtle compared to a traditional IPA

D - Not recommended for the faint-of-heart; great drink and can definitely be enjoyed in place of cognac or port; I'm fascinated with the complex mixture and grain alcohol, unique aging process and IPA flavor blend; made for a great drinking experience (1,045 characters)

3.6/5  rDev 0%

This was a difficult beer to review, because it is so extreme. The strongest beer have had since tasting BrewDog's TNP.

Poured a clear bright amber gold into a tasting glass with the small pour there was no head and a moderate clear liquidy lacing on the glass.

Aroma of alcohol, hops, spice and citrus.

Taste was dominated by the alcohol, once you recovered from the heat there was a slight citrus taste with pine and very little hops.

Mouthfeel was HOT, medium to heavy body, little carbonation and a tremendous alcohol burn the whole way down.

Overall this was more like drinking scotch than beer, glad I experienced it, like TNP I purchased two bottles. I plan to cellar the other bottle and taste sometime before the recommended drink by date of 2021. Maybe it will be a little smoother with age. (806 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Somehow a trace of surface carbonation, mysteriously. Burnt umber body. Good legs.

Smells like IPA-flavored liquor. Heavy (vaguely citrusy) hops, some honey malt, and tons of booze.

Bitter face time! Smack of hops and booze is balanced by sweetness (caramelized hops), some malty honey, and some of that mango(?)

Mouthfeel is like whiskey, what did I expect?

So intense. What does it mean? (393 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml corked (rubber) and caged bottle 41% Abv.
Batch 16 BB 14/08/21
Served chilled in a Brewdog Teku glass

Thanks to the guys at Brewdog for sending this to me as part of the prize for their photo competition.

Appearance: Wow, I knew this beer would be syrupy, but I had no idea it would be like this! It took a while to get the last bit out of the bottle. If I excuse the fact that there is no head (who expects a head from a 41% beer anyway?) this is a great looking beer. Deep orange/amber body with golden edges and red highlights, very sticky - leaves massive legs on the glass when swirled.

Smell: Expecting my nose to be severely burned by the alcohol my first sniff was pretty tentative; but I was shocked to find something that actually smelled like an IPA. Alcohol is present (how could it not be), but it most certainly does not overwhelm the nose. In fact there is far less than in my favorite scotch.
On close inspection the nose reveals masses of sugar, malt extract, piney hops, a little citrus (orange liqueur), hints of peaches (similar to the syrup from tinned peaches) and strawberries as well as a touch of cough syrup.

Taste: As with the nose I am shocked how little booze I taste - sure it warms your mouth and burns a little on the way down, but nothing like what I have heard.
The first sip is hop dominated and there is a distinct resemblance to hardcore IPA. In subsequent sips the hops are somewhat are lost behind a mountain of sugar, honey and malt extract. As the beer warms there is a distinct cough syrup/ herbal liqueur note that’s not overly pleasant. A touch of smoke is also noted.

Mouthfeel: I never thought I'd say this - but this beer is a bit too syrupy. It is carbonated but it needs a whole lot more for the body.

Overall: This beer feels like it should supersede ratings; I mean what do you compare it to?
A fantastic experience and great fun to share with friends, but sadly not something I would buy again. (1,969 characters)

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog