Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
View: Beers (125) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
bluejacket74

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

330 ml bottle, Batch 009, best before 16-08-20. I've had this bottle for at least a year so I know it's not exactly fresh. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with a very small fizzy cola-like head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing at all. It also has legs like liquor does when I swirl the beer around the glass. Aroma is mostly boozy, it also smells like dried fruits, apricots, candied oranges, plums, caramel and some hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like sweet booze, dried/candied and tropical fruit, pine hops, honey, and also an herbal/medicinal flavor. It's weird, I can feel the alcohol burn going down my throat when I drink it, but the other flavors linger around a while in the finish so I can actually taste something other than the booze. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's syrupy, slick and coating with low carbonation. I have to say it's a unique brew, and overall I did like it. I'd try it again in the future, but next time I should probably split the bottle with someone instead of drinking it all myself.

03-16-2012 22:13:36 | More by bluejacket74
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

07-13-2013 01:03:15 | More by WOLFGANG
dgilks

Australia

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

So, this is a really interesting beer. At 41% I had no clue what to expect from it.

The aroma is good but not as amazing as I had hoped. I had gone in not knowing what to expect but thinking that the hop aroma would be big. What I got was a big, malty, alcoholic aroma with notes of toffee and a touch of fruitiness. Interesting and appetising but not the hop bomb I thought I would get.

Appearance wise it was a pretty clear, gold-amber colour with a small, very short lasted off-white head. Slightly oily. Actually very good given the alcohol content.

The taste was something different to anything I've ever had before. Big punch alcohol, massive malt, huge resinous hop oils and a rounding note of citrus. The whole thing came together in a really interesting way that was half spirit, half beer. To be honest, I wanted more hop flavour to counteract the staggering bitterness but I still enjoyed it.

The mouthfeel was both surprising and delightful. Big, oily and mouth-coating but still with a healthy dose of carbonation which helped to cut it just a little bit.

I really like this. It didn't entirely do what I wanted it to do but it was a stunning example of what you can do as a brewer if you really think about it and try something different. I went in relatively ambivalent about whether this was going to be good or bad but after trying it, I think it is at least worth trying. Thanks to Ross from Craftbrewer for giving me a chance to try this.

06-03-2010 12:38:53 | More by dgilks
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

This is insane; 41% ABV...

A: Pours hazy amber with no head.

S: Lots of syrupy sweet dark dried fruits. Liqorice. Roast and alcohol. Some oak notes.

T: Sweet caramell, roasted malt. Lots of dark dried fruits. Molasses and vineous. Spices and alcohol. Like an aged Port. Liqourice.

M: Aftertaste lingers with sweet notes along with faint bitterness. Body is full and carbonation at a minimum.

O: Actually, this was smoother than and not as rough as Tactical Nuclear Penguin - better balanced.

07-07-2011 15:16:25 | More by Evil_Pidde
Gobzilla

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

A: poured a caramel brown with yellow highlights that had absolutely no head what so ever and zero lacing.

S: damn beer burnt the shit out of my nose hairs on the first whiff, there really is no way to hide that much amount of alcohol. It is also very hard to sniff out other ingredients when the beer kept hurting my nose but I did get some caramel malt and hops for sure.

T: there is a stupid amount of alcohol that punches your palate right away and does burn like your taking a shot of tequila. It is super hot and to my surprise the hops do pop out and are very tasty which also had the caramel malts.

M: medium body with very low amount of carbonation that had an overwhelming amount of alcohol and tasty hop bite finish.

D: the beer is actually very tasty but damn the alcohol hits you in all directions. I'm still glad I got to try this booze bomb at least once.

07-17-2010 05:41:10 | More by Gobzilla
tbeckett

07-18-2012 12:34:53 | More by tbeckett
popery

2.95/5  rDev -19%

This was interesting and I'm grateful for having the opportunity to try it, but I can't say that I particularly enjoyed the experience. I will note that, despite my expectations, Sink The Bismarck! was the clear winner over Tactical Nuclear Penguin. However, it was still just a novelty, rather than an enjoyable beverage. The beer pours a deep amber with great highlights, and it's got good legs, for what it's worth. It looks like whiskey, really. The aroma is exceedingly strong and hoppy. It's one of the strongest hop aromas that I've ever encountered, and that's kinda neat. However, it's a hop aroma that lacks all delicacy and depth. It's mostly turpentine and booze. I was quite interested by the aroma, initially, but after my shock at the strength of it wore off, it was actually a bit disappointing. It's all candied, paint thinner hops, citric with some soapy floral notes. There's a ton of spicy pepper in the aroma as well and, of course, lots of alcohol heat. I got an even bigger dose of booze on the palate, though not as bad as TNP. Mouthfeel is quite rough, like a bizarrely dirty whiskey. In some ways, though more enjoyable, this beer struck me as even more of a gimmick than TNP. The hops are indelicate in the extreme and seem to cover up the beer's faults more than they add to its quality. Plus, the beer had that unpleasant acrid flavor also present in TNP. I appreciate the effort, I appreciate the experimentation, but I don't much like the beer.

06-22-2010 07:22:23 | More by popery
Lare453

11-12-2012 20:27:34 | More by Lare453
AgentMunky

4.58/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a wine glass.

A: Golden-orange, and murky-clear. No head, although this is probably a misleading fact, since I only poured an ounce or two. I was told that, poured in large(r) quantities, heavy lacing was inevitable.

S: Mmmm, tons of hops with a dash of citrus. It smells like a strong double IPA or Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot barleywine. Sticky caramel scents. There is nary a trace of alcohol, save mayhap a bit of harshness on the edges of the aroma. This unnerves me. A beer of 41% should smell...fiercer. BrewDog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32%) smells like liquor, but Sink the Bismarck! just smells like beer.

T: Allegedly a "quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times" (forget the lack of parallelism). It's way better than I expected! Not too harsh, but sweet, with caramel and strong honey. Massive malts more than balance the hop bitterness. This particular bottle is distilled from the Punk IPA, rather than the Hardcore IPA, supposedly resulting in a sweeter, syrupy flavour, whereas the double IPA creates a more astringent bitterness (this according to the BrewDog representative with whom I conversed). The endtaste is simply marvellous, not overly strong or objectionable in any way, but *is* reminiscent of spirits. The aftertaste is epicly long and maltily bitter. Just wow.

M: Smooth, sweet, and notably NOT numbingly strong. Great for what it is.

D: Amazingly, transcendentally drinkable considering the ABV. Seriously, this is a dangerously good beer. I could very well polish of a glass of this with relish, only to experience the ill effects afterwards. Absolutely recommended, but honestly, not worth the exorbitant price tag. Still, I will keep an eye out for more opportunities to sample it.

02-24-2011 01:12:47 | More by AgentMunky
bobsy

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

From 4.1% ABV,the Brewdog dinner finally arrives at 41%.

Beer pour a brilliant and still orange, with no head whatsoever. Intense, screaming hop nose, with layers of grapefruit and pine that strain to cover the alcohol, and just fall short of succeding. The flavour shouts scotch, and there's more liquor character to this than beer character. Strong wood, hot alcohol, spice, earth, salt and rye prove a potent force, nad there's still significant c-hop in there to keeo this somewhat beer-like. Definitely a sipper and suited to small samples. The body continues the liquor theme with its oily slickness, which seems to work well here.

A very interesting beer that's a delight to try, though probably not an experience I'd repeat again. Really, its closer to drinking liquor neat than an actual beer, but there is a certain pleasure in sampling something so extreme.

09-30-2010 01:03:29 | More by bobsy
ste5venla

10-23-2013 22:17:57 | More by ste5venla
rarbring

Sweden

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This drink is slightly clouded amber, no head, no lacing, but curtains.

The smell is besides alcoholic, grape, rose water and a general dried grassy hops.

Basically fiery alcoholic hop schnapps.

No carbonation, boozy, coarse and dry.

Basically hops in (bad) booze, try once. Grappa is better!

09-23-2011 18:17:02 | More by rarbring

3.75/5  rDev +3%

05-01-2014 03:13:26 | More by threedaggers
Arbitrator

1.4/5  rDev -61.5%

Bottle into a glass. Courtesy of beddachedda, who apparently makes enough chedda to think spending the money on a BrewDog product is a good idea. Evan, you're a prince among men, but there are many sayings about being bad with money, and "He who buys BrewDog is doomed to financial ruin" is at the top of the list.

A: This has a light haze to it, which is odd for a distilled spirit (isn't it?). I don't even know how to rate this. It's mildly leggy, I suppose. I'll give it a 3.5, and that's as high as I'll go, because it's BrewDog.

S: Oh lordy, this is hilarious. It's hops schnapps. That fiery burn of cheap vodka infused with something herbal and earthy. I'm picturing two guys making this in their bathtub while dressed in penguin costumes.

T: A bit like bottled evil. This is quite hoppy, and not in a flavorful way: it's just bitter, earthy, herbal, and boozy. I suppose it accomplished what it set out to do, but that doesn't mean it needed doing, or that I'm going to applaud it. In some ways this is geared toward the fratboy subset of the BA crowd. "Your IPA isn't imperial enough? Boy, do we have the fortifier for you."

Evan pointed out that this is better in larger sips, and despite much mockery from me, I found out he was right. The small sips bring out the harsh burn, while smaller sips bring out some flavors and suppress the burn a bit. It's sort of like being kicked in the groin vs. kicked in the stomach, but I know what I prefer.

M: Boozy.

O: I'd just like to say that it says a lot about BeerAdvocate that this merits a B for the style. For any style.

09-26-2011 05:47:17 | More by Arbitrator
kwjd

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Thanks Sammy for getting this one! It pours a deep copper-amber colour with little off-white head. I was a bit surprised how much head there was actually, but it certainly wasn't a lot. I get pine, citrus and floral hops. Quite sticky and boozy, yet delicious. I still get some malt back-bone to this beer. For 41% alcohol, it is hellishly drinkable! After each sip (and you have to sip this) I wanted to have another immediately.

I have no idea how to properly rate this beer because it isn't like anything else I've ever had. It was an awesome experience to try this and I hope to try another bottle some day!

07-13-2010 22:28:20 | More by kwjd
Lovely85

3.75/5  rDev +3%

09-14-2013 14:46:20 | More by Lovely85
FLima

Brazil

Amber color leaving alcohol marks in the glass. Don’t even think about a head, or carbonation.
Sweet malt and woody aroma, smells like cognac. Strangely I could get some pineapple out of it.
Similarly, it tastes like a good cognac or scotch. Such high level alcohol has a numb effect at your mouth as it happens to hard liquors. Body is heavy and oily.
Remove water from your beer and you would get a STB type of beer, picture this if you don’t recognize this as beer. It is a beer amplified. I personally found it to be more drinkable than many malt liquor beers. You have to sip it as drinking an excellent scotch or rum. Actually is very tasteful and superior to most cognacs, rums and scotch, though quite expensive to make it.

12-07-2012 19:15:23 | More by FLima
aerozeppl

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks I think to drseamus.

A one ounce pour and trust me that is all you need.

A: The color was nice looking in that it was a fairly clean golden color. No head or carbonation to speak of but that is to be expected.

S: The nose upon opening the bottle was fresh hops which was nice. Once you let this bad boy breath in your snifter for a while the alcohol really let itself be known. Stinging of the nostrils was par for the course with each sip. The hops were behind that.

T: Wow. So thats where all the alcohol was hiding. Tons of alcohol. Some sweetness like a 120 but much more boozy. The hops are there and reminding me that this is a beer but not much else is. If you go into this knowing it is like nothing else it really is not bad. In fact for what it is it brings some enjoyement to the table.

M: This beer had legs. Nuff said.

D: An ounce was perfect. I would not age this beer as the hops are the only thing really keeping this in the beer realm. It is interesting and I am stoked to have tried it. Worth a shot if you have enough people. We had 6 and half the bottle still remains.

03-27-2011 23:32:39 | More by aerozeppl
jampics2

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

12oz bottle, opened for Adam's birthday and split 10 ways. Happy Birthday dude, hope you have a great year ahead of you! As the provider of the bottle, me (and of course the birthday boy) got about 2oz's while everyone else got 1oz. The bottle opened with a small hiss then poured relatively still, as expected.

Looks interesting in the glass. It's a cloudy orange color that is very reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but with just a touch more orange. Cloudy as all get-out, perhaps the first sign that a storm's coming.

Holy shit. This has just a devastating smell. The first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover. Bummer. But when I get past that and dig a little deeper, there's a really cool apricot and orange hoppiness underneath, I just need to push through some layers of wretched alcohol burn to get it. Once the "beer" "opens up", there's a nice syrupy hoppiness that really does pack a wonderful punch to the olfactories. The nail polish remover burn dissipates, but there's a weird saltiness that sticks around. Just an odd collection of smells, but a unique and powerful experience. I have to rate this in the middle because that's the best compromise I can make. It's awesome one second and wretched the next.

Taste is one-of-a-kind. I'd compare it to a mixture between a nice DIPA, a honey mead like Apis, the salt I use on my driveway during the wintertime, and moonshine. My tastebuds gradually become used to the weirdness and I can appreciate this as a liquor, and some hoppy, flowery, and bitter flavors I like in extreme beer do come out from time to time. Plus, at 82 proof, I don't want to ding this for the hotness. But I need to give it a number, so I must make some comparisons and compromises. Therefore, just like the nose, we need to split the difference and call this average.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and stingy. Not horrible, just not ideal. Again, we'll give this anomaly the benefit of the doubt and give it a somewhat respectable score.

However, when we get to drinkability, things must get real. At least half of the people drinking this couldn't finish an ounce. Perhaps the most undrinkable beer I've ever had.

For someone considering purchasing this or trading for it, I want to give a bit more insight since it can run over $75 a bottle when imported. I honestly can't believe there are people giving this A+ ratings. Yes, I know it's all a matter of preference, but let me explain. In the recent Beer Advocate magazine, there was an article about objectively better beer. I didn't believe that was appropriate until now. While I understand that everyone has the right to say that something struck their palate a certain way, giving this beer scores worthy of world-class ales is just wrong. It's objectively inferior to beers that are actually pleasure to drink. I'm not saying others don't have the right to an opinion, I just don't trust that they rated on the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability of the beer.

The bottom line here is that the gimmick won over the quality of the experience when drinking the product. This is just a hodge-podge of great and horrible and, while it's something I'm happy to have had the chance to sample, I would never buy again, even at $20 a bottle. I probably wouldn't even accept a free sample. Quit the bullshit, BrewDog, and get back to making drinkable beer. This is the beverage equivalent of a car with a satellite radio equipped blue-tooth nav system, heated leather seats, and no wheels.

08-15-2010 21:05:22 | More by jampics2