Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

(Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010)
3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks I think to drseamus.

A one ounce pour and trust me that is all you need.

A: The color was nice looking in that it was a fairly clean golden color. No head or carbonation to speak of but that is to be expected.

S: The nose upon opening the bottle was fresh hops which was nice. Once you let this bad boy breath in your snifter for a while the alcohol really let itself be known. Stinging of the nostrils was par for the course with each sip. The hops were behind that.

T: Wow. So thats where all the alcohol was hiding. Tons of alcohol. Some sweetness like a 120 but much more boozy. The hops are there and reminding me that this is a beer but not much else is. If you go into this knowing it is like nothing else it really is not bad. In fact for what it is it brings some enjoyement to the table.

M: This beer had legs. Nuff said.

D: An ounce was perfect. I would not age this beer as the hops are the only thing really keeping this in the beer realm. It is interesting and I am stoked to have tried it. Worth a shot if you have enough people. We had 6 and half the bottle still remains.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - Flat, watered down coffee

Aroma - Rubbing alcohol, peppermint(?), soy sauce.

Taste - Similar to aroma.. More alcohol.. Burnt my eyes.

Mouthfeel - Hard liquor

Overall - Not for the faint of heart. Glad I got the chance to try though.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

1.6/5  rDev -55.9%

My cousin was knind enough to bring a few ounces down for me to try(thank god I did not buy it). The pour looked ok, orange tinge, small white head. The nose was sickening sweet booze. The beer tasted like a high octane cheap vodka, all very hot alcohol. The beer has a very syrupy mouthfeel. Even though I had only a few ounces I had trouble finishing it. I did not enjoy this at all. IMO this beer has very little good beer qualaites. After trying this my cousin said he is going to through his bottle of TNP in the cellar for 5 years.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

After tactical nuclear penguin i wasn't sure what to expect on this one...

Pours a hazy orwngish brown. No head. No carbonation. Looks pretty solid. Smells wonderful on the nose. Scotch and sweet hops. So much hops it's almost perfume. The burn increases as it warms but it's pretty damn impressive! The taste is pretty strong. Hops, lot of citrus and pine. The burn covers it all a bit. Overall very thick syrupy mouthfeel. Pretty damn impressive for what it is!

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%

On-line Purchase.

Pours with a pfft – zero head, legs not lace. Deep golden brown.

Aromas of butterscotch, caramel, moonshine like rough alcohol. Alcohol dominates.

Taste is alcohol, then a bitter hop flavour takes over. Very bitter indeed. Mouth consuming. Unlike beer, unlike spirits, - I can see why a lot dislike. Need a hop bomb before to start the palate off. Very challenging.

Mouthfeel is a real polariser…. I have never drunk baby oil, so I dunno what that would taste like, but it’s near. Oil central, but it’s warm.

Overall has to be a 5. I’ve drunk the extreme beer of the times. And I survived.
I suspect those that drain pour (or say they do) do not like neat spirit, be it single malt, OP rum etc. It is ‘out there’ but that’s not a huge surprise, now it is?

ADDENDUM - tried this one more than once now.... it works >really< well after having a hop-bomb, American IPA etc etc... much less well if the palate is not primed, as the bitterness comes across somewhat astringent in that case.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A small sample pours quite clear, orange coloured with no head what so ever.
S - Sweet caramel malt character with spicy & piney hops & an abundance of solvent alcohol notes.
T - Sweet, dark fruit maltiness with piney, spicy and floral hop notes. Also quite alcoholic obviously.
M - Full bodied, sticky, low carbonation and hefty chest warming alcohol.
D - Glad I tried it but something that I could live without.

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT.

L: Pours an amber/orange color with no head whatsoever. It leaves a thick liquid lacing like a wine down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted/toasted/caramelized malts, alcohol, dark fruits, hints of what could be hop aromas.
T: Tastes of sweet malts followed by dark fruit flavors like cherry, raisin, plums, and then a sweet molasses/brown sugar flavor before the alcohol hits and it hits, but that's expected.
M: Heavy, warming, hot, no carbonation (but I don't feel any is needed).
D: OK, due to it's insanely high abv, it's not a very drinkable beer, but if you compare it to tactical nuclear penguin or scotch it is.

4.63/5  rDev +27.5%

Shared with Paisan at Delirium Cafe in Brussels, Belgium!

After deliberating the purchase online and flat out refusing to drop the 130 a bottle in addition to the other bottles needing to be purchased in order to ship them, I was suddenly presented the opportunity when seeing it at Delirium cafe in Brussels Belgium.

Even more surprisingly BA Paisan asked me if we would care to split a bottle with them. Given this option I had absolutely no choice in the matter and I had to give in to the temptation. Split 4 ways, this was a great opportunity to try Sink the Bismarck!

Body was thick and viscous and had tears going down like a good strong Port would. Deep caramel in color and no signs of carbonation though there was a hiss when opened and after being capped there was another hiss upon its second opening.

Aroma of strong unworldly hop presence. I thought of all of the poor hops that must have been sacrificed in order to create this "beer".

Deep dark pepper up front from the assault on my tongue. There was licorice and pepper pounding me in the face. Throat burn and all out warfare on my mouth from the amazingly deep rich and pungent hop and booze flavors. We all agreed that this was so strong it nearly rivaled a good scotch in complexity however an entire bottle of scotch could have been purchased for a similar price.
Overall i enjoyed drinking sink the Bismarck. I wouldn't purchase it again , would gladly have it again, but was glad to have tried it with new friends and a great beer waiter upstairs at the cafe.

Edit: for the record there is no way this is an Imperial IPA, as it is in a style class by itself and maybe two other beers at this time and I have rated it as such.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog