Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Flat, watered down coffee

Aroma - Rubbing alcohol, peppermint(?), soy sauce.

Taste - Similar to aroma.. More alcohol.. Burnt my eyes.

Mouthfeel - Hard liquor

Overall - Not for the faint of heart. Glad I got the chance to try though.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz bottle, opened for Adam's birthday and split 10 ways. Happy Birthday dude, hope you have a great year ahead of you! As the provider of the bottle, me (and of course the birthday boy) got about 2oz's while everyone else got 1oz. The bottle opened with a small hiss then poured relatively still, as expected.

Looks interesting in the glass. It's a cloudy orange color that is very reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice but with just a touch more orange. Cloudy as all get-out, perhaps the first sign that a storm's coming.

Holy shit. This has just a devastating smell. The first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover. Bummer. But when I get past that and dig a little deeper, there's a really cool apricot and orange hoppiness underneath, I just need to push through some layers of wretched alcohol burn to get it. Once the "beer" "opens up", there's a nice syrupy hoppiness that really does pack a wonderful punch to the olfactories. The nail polish remover burn dissipates, but there's a weird saltiness that sticks around. Just an odd collection of smells, but a unique and powerful experience. I have to rate this in the middle because that's the best compromise I can make. It's awesome one second and wretched the next.

Taste is one-of-a-kind. I'd compare it to a mixture between a nice DIPA, a honey mead like Apis, the salt I use on my driveway during the wintertime, and moonshine. My tastebuds gradually become used to the weirdness and I can appreciate this as a liquor, and some hoppy, flowery, and bitter flavors I like in extreme beer do come out from time to time. Plus, at 82 proof, I don't want to ding this for the hotness. But I need to give it a number, so I must make some comparisons and compromises. Therefore, just like the nose, we need to split the difference and call this average.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and stingy. Not horrible, just not ideal. Again, we'll give this anomaly the benefit of the doubt and give it a somewhat respectable score.

However, when we get to drinkability, things must get real. At least half of the people drinking this couldn't finish an ounce. Perhaps the most undrinkable beer I've ever had.

For someone considering purchasing this or trading for it, I want to give a bit more insight since it can run over $75 a bottle when imported. I honestly can't believe there are people giving this A+ ratings. Yes, I know it's all a matter of preference, but let me explain. In the recent Beer Advocate magazine, there was an article about objectively better beer. I didn't believe that was appropriate until now. While I understand that everyone has the right to say that something struck their palate a certain way, giving this beer scores worthy of world-class ales is just wrong. It's objectively inferior to beers that are actually pleasure to drink. I'm not saying others don't have the right to an opinion, I just don't trust that they rated on the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability of the beer.

The bottom line here is that the gimmick won over the quality of the experience when drinking the product. This is just a hodge-podge of great and horrible and, while it's something I'm happy to have had the chance to sample, I would never buy again, even at $20 a bottle. I probably wouldn't even accept a free sample. Quit the bullshit, BrewDog, and get back to making drinkable beer. This is the beverage equivalent of a car with a satellite radio equipped blue-tooth nav system, heated leather seats, and no wheels.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks I think to drseamus.

A one ounce pour and trust me that is all you need.

A: The color was nice looking in that it was a fairly clean golden color. No head or carbonation to speak of but that is to be expected.

S: The nose upon opening the bottle was fresh hops which was nice. Once you let this bad boy breath in your snifter for a while the alcohol really let itself be known. Stinging of the nostrils was par for the course with each sip. The hops were behind that.

T: Wow. So thats where all the alcohol was hiding. Tons of alcohol. Some sweetness like a 120 but much more boozy. The hops are there and reminding me that this is a beer but not much else is. If you go into this knowing it is like nothing else it really is not bad. In fact for what it is it brings some enjoyement to the table.

M: This beer had legs. Nuff said.

D: An ounce was perfect. I would not age this beer as the hops are the only thing really keeping this in the beer realm. It is interesting and I am stoked to have tried it. Worth a shot if you have enough people. We had 6 and half the bottle still remains.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

1.63/5  rDev -55%

My cousin was knind enough to bring a few ounces down for me to try(thank god I did not buy it). The pour looked ok, orange tinge, small white head. The nose was sickening sweet booze. The beer tasted like a high octane cheap vodka, all very hot alcohol. The beer has a very syrupy mouthfeel. Even though I had only a few ounces I had trouble finishing it. I did not enjoy this at all. IMO this beer has very little good beer qualaites. After trying this my cousin said he is going to through his bottle of TNP in the cellar for 5 years.

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

4.67/5  rDev +29%

330ml bottle (Xmas gift from my wife). Spirit glass. From my notes. Deep amber color, foggy appearance. Very strong flavors & aromas. I love rhum, well, it performs like ir does. Smooth upfront then a burning big bang in mouth. Amazing light body but, after some drop, it makes you feel like being drinking beer for hours. Tastes as an amplified flavor & aroma beer. Nearly unexisting froth but master carbonation.: I had have it after diners for several days & I have to say that everytime I opened it, it sounded “pop”. Incredible drinking experience. Perfect pairing with butter & anise cookies.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

After tactical nuclear penguin i wasn't sure what to expect on this one...

Pours a hazy orwngish brown. No head. No carbonation. Looks pretty solid. Smells wonderful on the nose. Scotch and sweet hops. So much hops it's almost perfume. The burn increases as it warms but it's pretty damn impressive! The taste is pretty strong. Hops, lot of citrus and pine. The burn covers it all a bit. Overall very thick syrupy mouthfeel. Pretty damn impressive for what it is!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

On-line Purchase.

Pours with a pfft – zero head, legs not lace. Deep golden brown.

Aromas of butterscotch, caramel, moonshine like rough alcohol. Alcohol dominates.

Taste is alcohol, then a bitter hop flavour takes over. Very bitter indeed. Mouth consuming. Unlike beer, unlike spirits, - I can see why a lot dislike. Need a hop bomb before to start the palate off. Very challenging.

Mouthfeel is a real polariser…. I have never drunk baby oil, so I dunno what that would taste like, but it’s near. Oil central, but it’s warm.

Overall has to be a 5. I’ve drunk the extreme beer of the times. And I survived.
I suspect those that drain pour (or say they do) do not like neat spirit, be it single malt, OP rum etc. It is ‘out there’ but that’s not a huge surprise, now it is?

ADDENDUM - tried this one more than once now.... it works >really< well after having a hop-bomb, American IPA etc etc... much less well if the palate is not primed, as the bitterness comes across somewhat astringent in that case.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A small sample pours quite clear, orange coloured with no head what so ever.
S - Sweet caramel malt character with spicy & piney hops & an abundance of solvent alcohol notes.
T - Sweet, dark fruit maltiness with piney, spicy and floral hop notes. Also quite alcoholic obviously.
M - Full bodied, sticky, low carbonation and hefty chest warming alcohol.
D - Glad I tried it but something that I could live without.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Had this at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT.

L: Pours an amber/orange color with no head whatsoever. It leaves a thick liquid lacing like a wine down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted/toasted/caramelized malts, alcohol, dark fruits, hints of what could be hop aromas.
T: Tastes of sweet malts followed by dark fruit flavors like cherry, raisin, plums, and then a sweet molasses/brown sugar flavor before the alcohol hits and it hits, but that's expected.
M: Heavy, warming, hot, no carbonation (but I don't feel any is needed).
D: OK, due to it's insanely high abv, it's not a very drinkable beer, but if you compare it to tactical nuclear penguin or scotch it is.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog