Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010

Ratings: 197 | Reviews: 94
2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

I actually got a rather large pour of this one, maybe 3-4oz, which is a ton for this beer, especially since some places are selling 1oz nip bottles.

First off, i can't grade this like a typical IPA, it isn't meant to be, it is an odd experiment first and an ipa 2nd.
This beer is an almost glowing orange, no head, and has legs like bourbon, big surprise. Almost looks like someone put some food coloring into a distilled alcohol glass. more odd then good/bad.
The nose has alcohol, but i didn't find anything fusel or burning about it, really didn't suggest that this is a 82 proof beer. most of the aroma besides the alcohol that comes out is a sugary sweet orange candy, or like alcohol soaked oranges covered in sugar.
This one tastes like it is under attenuated, obviously with how it was made it is going to taste concentrated though, but there is alot of residual sugar flavors. This could be drank easily and when compared to other 41% spirits it is super light honestly, i think that is what impressed me most, not that im a drinkability guy, but i noticed that.

So final notes:
Not something i'd grab to drink and savor, the flavors are just a step under that threshold of sheer enjoyment, but i really enjoyed seeing what was possible with this beer and giving it a try to learn and would probally drink a few oz again if the chance is there...For Science!

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

1.5oz sample shared with Nick Baird. Thanks brother! Pours an opaque orange with zero head and lacing, which isn't surprising for a beer of this weight. Smell and taste are strong, nose-burning ethanol, pink grapefruit, pine and citrus, mango, crab apple, brandy-like middle, ultra bitter hops, and a very hot, alcoholic finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, bold spiciness on the tongue, astringent and citric bitterness, huge boozy heat warms the insides and hangs around for quite some time. This has a decent level of complexity, but it's ultimately a booze bomb, and I can't say I'm a fan. Glad I got to try it though.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Brewdog tasting session with friends (keeps the cost down).

Poured into a snifter this brew was orange, sticky, oil covered the top of the brew when looking into it and there was nearly no carbonation to speak of. The aroma was very bright and bold with a lot of grapefruit and other citrus up front and a strong sense of floral hops as a backbone. There was a slight pine nose as well. The first taste was so smooth. There was such a minimal hint of alcohol in this brew and for 41% I found that amazing! The hop presence in this brew was fantastic. Every sip I took was impressive. The stickiness was very noticeable as well as the oily hops. This was a phenomenal brew to make and even better to try.

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This was simply WAY too boozy for my taste when it comes to beer. I appreciate what BrewDog was going for...but this is not very drinkable. Poured from a bottle that I had on my first date with my now husband. Golden color with NO head and NO lacing. Looked honestly like liquor...sure smelled like it as well! In all fairness, there was a huge hoppy nose. A bit of citrus, but I was so distracted by the boozy smell that I was honestly apprehensive to try this. Tasted of...booze. Hops were there as well. I definitely made a face...and not a good one...when I tried this. I think I chased it with another beer. Maybe I can't appreciate the "style" but I just didn't care for it.

Mouthfeel was THICK...syrup-like. Definite alcohol burn...felt like I was doing shots...not a good thing when I am drinking a beer. It was neat to try this rare brew but I would NEVER have it again. Sometimes rarity hypes up brews a bit too much.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

This is a hard one to review. Presented in a PAper bag. Pours a Pretty caramel color, tiny bit o head. Legs, legs like fine wine or bourbon. The nose is unrefined alcohol, vegitile and earthy hops and must. The flavor grows better with time. Like an ipa, yes, there are hops and caramelized sugary malts, strong earthy and mineral tones. The flavor of minerals and earth are steong. Hop are ever present. Drinks like alcohol, tastes like it too. A crazy beer for sure. I'm so goad I had the rare chance to taste this. A really big thanks to my new friend for oPening it.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Beautiful mahogany color with smell that stings the nose. Lots of caramel syrupy sweetness in the aroma, similar to 120 minute. Sweet candied hops. Flavor is very sweet and honey like with floral/earthy hops. Alcohol burns long and hard but doesn't taste like 41%.

I feel this beer was made to see who could make the strongest beer in the world but by a random decision to make it a huge IPA it came out to be an incredibly flavorful and eclectic ale. Although it would really be a challenge for a regular beer drinker to finish a full bottle by themselves.

Tasted 9/2/11@ Haus Staudt - Snifter

Appearance: Surprisingly not as dark and thick as I would have expected. Very thin and light, think more like a scotch or cognac.

Smell: dear good what did i get myself into? I only poured in about an ounce or two and the alcohol is overwhelming. However along with that there is a sweet barleywine presence here. Roasted hops and caramel.

Taste: This is difficult to explain. The notes are there but are faint and easily overwhelmed by the shear volume of alcohol present. I would have liked to seen this aged in a oak cask for about... 12 years. This is just difficult to drink. In hindsight perhaps a few cubes of ice would have helped.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, not great either. Nothing to chug or gulp but smooth none the less.

Drinkability: Difficult. Listen, I am a scotch drinker by trade and some are near 60%, but this needs something it is clearly lacking. It needs time to cool off and age in some oak, IMO. Notes are good but faint, and alcohol is abundant.

Overall; Glad to have tried it. You wont see me seeking it out.

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

Very lucky to get a 1 once pour at the White Horse thanks to Tom Cadden from Brewdog.

A- Amber and a tiny film head but since I only had a shot glass full not sure how head or lacing would be in a larger glass. i do know how I would look after a larger glass and it is not good!

S- Burst of hops with quite a bit more sweetness than I ever expected. Lot's of citrus especially pineapple and grapefruit zest. Then of course the, inescapable alcohol smell is present but very pleasant and warming.

T- WOW! Massive Hop Flavor, sticky pine and sweet citrus all together with a very warming alcohol presence. Even at 41% the alcohol does not overwhelm the other flavors. Everything is pretty equally intense.

M - Not nearly as full or viscous as I would have thought. Medium/light bodied. As expected you can feel the booze heat up the as I swirl it in my mouth.

D - Well there is only so much you can drink safely but if a serving is only an once or two (which is what it should be) then I could definitely have at least one more. This is where I found the rating difficult, but had to give it a decent score as for it's strength it is very drinkable.

This is a tough one to review as it may be a beer but had all of the qualities of a Hop Spirit, and pretty much is the result of a pissing contest with Schorschbräu for the worlds strongest beer.

Really, a Fantastic experience that I am so happy to have been able to sample as I am not spending £40+ for a bottle.

2.47/5  rDev -32%

Had the chance to try this beer along with TNP at tasting party

Nice size amount was poured into my little chalice tasting glass.

Appearance is a bit hazy light orange color with no head whatsoever.

The aroma was pretty pungent of alcohol along with resinous hops. On the hops side I got a lot of pine bitterness with little bits of citrus detected. Vast array of malts also dominated with toffee and caramel.

The taste upfront was where the only tad bit of citrus you will get out of this beer. I got the slightest bit of grapefruit then came along spicy hops with pine bitterness. Following was toffee and to sum it up, it tasted A LOT like Scotch.

Mouthfeel was oily and spicy with a lot of heat going down your throat with little carbonation.

Overall I would never pay for this bottle and I'm glad I got the chance to try it for free. If you like scotch and a bit of hops, this beer will be pretty good for you.

4.57/5  rDev +25.9%

Got a few ounces out of a bottle that made its way to LA with the brewer james.

Instantly hit with HUGE hop aroma, citrus and pine, GIANT burst of hops.

Flavor starts resinous and piney, giant bitterness with huge hop flavor, the hops really do hide the alcohol in the mouth. Really heats up the throat and stomach on the finish, leaves a great resinous sweetness in the mouth. I think the way the hop flavor carries through in this is amazing.

Very happy I got to try this, drinkability is a tough one, I really enjoyed my couple of ounces, but probably wouldnt need more than that in one sitting.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Good God Almighty!!! I wanted to hug the Beer Goddess that gave this to me at the flying saucer for hours! This thing was serve to me from the bottle, in about a 4 ounce snifter which was more than enough! I obviously got this at the flying saucer, but not sold by the flying saucer, just provided by their more than generous and kind staff.
Pours a near perfect example of amber body, no head at all, which is what I expected.
Smells of HUGE alcohole, lots of citrus and pine hops along with some skunky barley and caramel notes.
This is one hard beer to drink. It's basically like drinking Hop Bourbon. It's heavey booze is almost a blend of whiskey and rum. A nice hop character that's mostly pine and grassy in nature, but it is really over shadowed by the intense alcohol flavor. It has caramel and toasted character.
Mouthfeel is thick as they come. It's like drinking oil.
Not a beer you could drink... well an entire bottle of!

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

In comparison to Tactical Nuclear Penguin (BrewDog's "other" extreme offering), Sink the Bismarck is actually drinkable. Deep sweet nose of malt and hops; extreme and powerful, but (dare I say?) balanced for the weight and burn of the alcohol. Deep sweet stone fruit taste: plums and dark, sweet cherries underneath layers and layers of hops.

I feel really lucky to have tried Sink the Bismarck and I am very grateful that it was available by the dram at the new BrewDog bar in Edinburgh in the Cowgait. I cannot help thinking that I would much rather savor the complexities of the 16 year old Lagavulin distiller's select rather than this … liquid.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance:

Tonight I'm breaking out a special glass, its a crystal Riedal glass which is shaped to maximize the aroma and bouquet on bourbons and whiskeys. When I popped the bottle believe it or not I got a slight hissing noise which I did not expect from something this high in alcohol. I'm seeing a wonderful rusty red color shine through my glass as I hold it up to the light which is passing though. I gave this a nice swirl and got a very thick lacing running down the sides on my glass almost like port wine.

Smell:

WOW!! This smells like a distilled double IPA. There is a huge bouquet of American hops bursting out of the glass with pure heat and alcohol right behind it. I'm really digging here to pull more smells out of this but all I'm finding is hot boozy fusel alcohol which has similar nose complexity to a fine bourbon or whiskey.

Taste:

Right of the start you are punched in the throat with a overload of hops. Bright citrus, lemony, peachy hops are running amok in your mouth while the malty caramel notes are trying to make there way to the front as well. But again I keep coming back to one thing...alcohol, this beer is damn boozy lets face it. I'm not sure that aging would make any difference because this baby is potent and is just like sipping a fine cognac.

Drinkability:

Do not drink this bottle yourself....I repeat do not try and drink this bottle yourself. This is very risky business here, with a tag of 41% ABV this will try and take you down for the count early. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to split this with a close friend because I never could have done it alone. Hell, even with the both of us going at it , it was still a challenge. I really enjoyed this beer and am thankful that I was fortunate enough to get one especially since there is only 500 currently in the world. This beer comes with a stiff price tag of 70$ per bottle (ouch) and even if you can find it I would be hesitant on the price. So my recommendation grab a few buddies and throw in a few bucks each and order one online that way you can each get enough and not break your wallet.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

the only thing I liked about this beer was the mouth feel and the abv....it tasted and smelled like whiskey made with hops to me. nice silky mouth feel, thick and smooth until it finishes, very ,very ,hot not saying it isn't a good beer just not my thing

4.82/5  rDev +32.8%

Buddy & I split it for his wedding day

appearance: pours a rich cognac brown with orance hue, clear, no noticeable carbonation; you can tell by looking at it that it is quality.

smell: when taken in too deeply, the burn of alcohol is distinct, an exceptional blend of hops, smoke, citrus (though overwhelmed), complex spices, lingers into yur nostrils for quite a bit.

taste: begins with a very dark fruity taste fused with with spices, progresses with the floral aspects of the heavy hops, creates a lighter fruit taste, all the while going toward a piney and smokey consistency; the finish begins both deeply sweet and bitter, with the bitterness winning out, lingering long after the finish.

mouthfeel: I don't typically review mouthfeel, but in this case, the consistency is that of a fine cognac, heavy and deep, comparable to a liquor.

drinkability: exceptional; for the attempt, complexity and result thereof, for a beer brewed to liquor-like perfection, so glad I got to share this one, like any fine liquor, moderation is key for strength and costs-sake.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Batch 009. Poured into a RedHook tasting glass.

A- Pours a clear gold with an amber hue. It did end up with a little head, but quickly dissapeared, not surprising given the ABV. Actually, I can't get over how the carbonation kept rising, though. Pretty nice.

S- Smell is intense. A lot of sweetness, but also a whole hell of a lot of citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit and pineapple. Surprisingly, the alchohol doesn't show through anymore than DFH's 120 Minute IPA. Actually rather impressed.

T- Whoa, holy shit... Like I just juiced a pine tree and doused it with rubbing alchohol. Then, it feels like you lit a match and tossed it down your throat and ignited the whole thing. Wow. But you gotta expect it.

MF- Full body on this one. A little syrupy, but, again, expected.

D- Not sure how to rate this. On one hand, the high ABV obviously makes it impossible to really enjoy more than a 2-4 oz sample size at a time, but on the other hand, you can enjoy that size serving all right. Geuss I'll just throw it towards the middle.

4.57/5  rDev +25.9%

I am very, very lucky to have tried this beer recently. Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped. Had this out of the bottle. This poured a bright orange with a tint of cherry red. No head.
This smelled of a huge piney, resinous, oily explosion with a slight spiciness to it. It was like smelling a concentrated pine tree with a blooming lemon tree next to it. Intense smell in a beautiful way. I kept smelling it. I said that they should bottle this as perfume for women to wear to attract men who liked good beer - or even vice versa. I would fall head over heels if my husband wore this as cologne. Seriously, I couldn't stop smelling it- it smelled so great!
It tasted like no beer I have had before. Completely unlike the Utopias or the Tactical Nuclear Penguin- but those are all different animals. It tasted like a hop concentration with huge juicy overripe citrus fruit, slight spiciness and tons of pine; mostly resinous hops though.
No carbonation, but this is basically like a liquor anyway- I sipped it and coddled it for a while. Great drinkability. A Must try if you can get your hands on some.

3.31/5  rDev -8.8%

Grading as a spirt:

A: Dark, dark amber. Like fine bourbon. Mild carbonation with no head. Thick alcohol coating on glass.

S. Hot spirit smell. Much like sweet honey with a light cedary/pine undertone.

T: Sweet syrup with spicy pine. Alcohol.

M: Full, plumy, viscous body. Chewy, mildly carbonated spirit. Somewhere between a port, a bourbon, and a beer.

O: A must try if you can split it amongst three other friends. Nice to try but not a daily drinker.

4.11/5  rDev +13.2%

Ordered a bottle from the brewery, and including the exorbitant postage, it cost less than what others have quoted as paying for a bottle. Poured an ounce or so in a standard shot glass. Slight carbonation but no head was noted. Color was dark gollden like a good whiskey. Smell was like pine wood soaked in alcohol. Mouthfeel was smooth and syrupy. Taste was sweet, syrupy and harsh spicy pine. I can't imagine drinking an entire bottle so I will drink a small amount over several days. My daughter also tried it and one jigger was enough for her, so the rest is mine. Glad to have this experience, but doubt I would ever buy another bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

An odd beer, and a tough review. Poured from the bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance is a thick golden color. I poured several small glasses of this, and found that a couple were more clear than others. Shockingly a head materialized, but obviously dissipated rapidly with the 41% abv.

Smell - interesting. About what I expected. Tons of hops, very oily, which was only offset by the massive smack of booze to my face. Pine, earthiness and tropical presence there too.

Taste... ah. Massive booze, obviously. Even more than expected. Hops are pronounced, but there's also a medicinal quality on the back end of this. Reminds me a bit of fresh 120 Minute, but stronger, harsher. And I don't care for 120 Minute.

Mouthfeel isn't bad. It's oily and medium-full bodied, spirit-like. Carbonation is barely there, if at all.

Drinkability is real bad. Real, real bad. I only drank an ounce, maybe 1.5. I actually took the remainder and poured it back into the bottle. And this isn't me rating this out of some inability to handle strong beer/booze - I love Utopias, bourbon, and scotch. This was far, far less drinkable than any decent bourbon or scotch, and cannot even compare to Utopias (which I could drink a full glass of with no problem).

This is a novelty, a fun effort, and worth trying if you can find 11 friends to split the bottle with you.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Brew Dog's Sink the Bismarck! could easily be the hardest beer to review on BA. No, not really; there are loads of beers with more complex flavors, aromas, textures, etc. But that's not all that makes a beer hard to review. Excessive price can have a greater effect than any of these. Just read the opening of The Wine Trials. Price correlates directly with taste, much of the time, and when an 11.5 oz bottle costs almost $100, it can be a little difficult to be honest about your opinions. Then, look at the ABV. Some quick research shows that this may well be the second most alcoholic beer in the world, and is almost certainly the second most alcoholic that's available on a mass-market. And, since the most alcoholic beer was limited to a release of 12 bottles (and 12 unfortunate rodents) and costs another factor of 10 on top of the beer in question, for all intents and purposes, this is the most alcoholic beer you're likely to come across.

So, in Sink the Bismarck!, you have a beer of absurd price and proof that's relatively uncommon. For most beer advocates, this just screams A+ - world class. Buuuutttt, then you actually taste the beer... And the qualifications begin. "But it's so daring that," "But it's so unique that," "But maybe if it were used as a mixer, it could," Anyway, all of these are fair points, but dodge the actual subject of the beer itself.

A: Translucent golden color. Incredibly smooth, highly viscous with essentially no carbonation. The syrupy quality of the pour sets off the alarm that this is not your usual brew. Not an appetizing appearance, really.

S: Rotten farmhouse. Emphasis on the hay that's been in the sun too long, not on the manure. No, there's no poop smell here. Instead, just hops that have been shaped into a howitzer and fired at the whites of your eyes, fueled by alcohol (it really hits you once you're nose deep in the glass - yipes!).

T & M: Not too different from the smell, really. There's a bitterness or sourness that's really unusual. Round, not sharp as I usually find. It fills the mouth like sour milk, but really, it's hop-oil. It's allll just hop-oil. When I gave a friend a taste, she mentioned that it reminded her of the time she stole a taste of Whiskey from her dad's liquor cabinet when she was 8. So what is the taste beyond absolute shock? I think my description is decent, but it's exactly because of the difficulty of this review that there's so much curiosity here. How do you describe something that has no competitors (save the brewer BrewDog one-upped, whose beer is much harder to find)? Honestly - by using hyperbole like "rotten farmhouse." If you really want to know, you just have to take the plunge.

Overall: One of those few cases where gestalt comes into the play, and here, the sum of multiple parts has to include the background and the story of the beer. BrewDog's got a gusto that can't be denied. They're one of the few breweries that dives into the "extreme beer category," and that's something that deserves recognition. Sure, the beer is incredibly challenging to drink, but the attitude behind it's creation is at the heart of the craft brewing mentality.

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer a while back so I can't really justify reviewing it now but I feel like I have to to talk a little about this extremely unique beer.

First of all, we are supposed to compare the beers we review only against other beers of the same style. There are not many beers of this style. The only other that I have EVER heard of is Brewdog's other: 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin'.

BA calls this an imperial IPA, but I don't feel it actually fits in that description. It is like a liquor IPA. Don't take that the wrong way. Sink the Bismarck IS a beer. It is brewed like a beer, from the grain to the boil, hopped like a beer, fermented like a beer and then hopped some more. (no distillery necessary)

Drinking this beer is a lot like drinking a nice Scotch or Bourbon. You definitely get that warming feeling through the back of your tongue and throat but it smells and tastes like a delicious IPA. Something that Brewdog WOULD put out.

If you had Tactical Nuclear Penguin and did not like it so much, that is not a good enough reason to pass on this one. STB > TNP.

I truly loved drinking this brew. I'll just say drink it with an open mind.

2.12/5  rDev -41.6%

Picked this up from my local liquor shop from "the back" yesterday, and have been eager to give it a try.

(As labeled on the bottle)
Batch: 009
Best before: 16/08/20

Pours a glowing, thick orange with no carbonation.

Smell is... difficult to perceive. I get a quick smell of malt before I feel overwhelmed by an aroma of alcohol. Then if I try too long to smell it, my eyes start burning.

Taste is unbelievably hoppy and burning. And it ends burning. Mouthfeel is quite... well, burning.

Personally, I hated writing this review. I love all the other beers Brewdog makes, so I'm surprised that I didn't enjoy this one and that my experience differed so much from others. I'd be interested in knowing if I just got a bad batch or if that's the way the beer is.

All this being said, I'm still excited to try Tactical Nuclear Penguin!

4.92/5  rDev +35.5%

A: Note: I recommend you smell the cap. You can get the same experience by sticking your head into a bag of hops or shoving two hop cones up your nose. The beer itself reeks of hops and warms to boozy overtones.
A: Pours a caramel brown, no head, no lacing.
F: Hop Assault w/ soy and umami. I believe if distillers were using hops, this would be it. I think this might be what drinking hop oil is like? Smokey and Oak finish.
M: Slick and warms all the way down.
O: It's the hoppiest beer I've ever had in my life, it's the strongest beer I've ever had, and literally the best beer I've ever had the privilege of trying. It's more than a beer, it's an experience that needs to be had.

2.62/5  rDev -27.8%

Brewed as a show off. Tasted of a bog standard ale and not worth bothering with except to say you have had it.

Sink The Bismarck! from BrewDog