Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sink The Bismarck! - BrewDog

Sink The Bismarck!Sink The Bismarck!

good

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: femALEist on 03-23-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.05/5  rDev -43.1%

Thank you to my friend Bob who unleashed this monster at his Superbowl gathering. It was... unforgettable

A: When the bottle was opened we were surprised to hear it pop. Still, no evidence of carbonation when poured, no head to speak of. The beer is a fairly clear deep dark amber.

S: The aroma sharply hits you with alcohol and hoppy herbal bitterness. It is very sharp and forewarns you of what is to come. Yes, there are also sherry and caramel aromas, but the sharp alcohol hoppy bitterness overwhelms.

T: Wow, I mean wow. A bitter peppery burning bomb goes off in your mouth. Many reviewers talk about the alcohol burn, that is to be expected at 41 abc, but what is amazingly intense is that bitter peppery burn. I suppose it is the bitter hops used, but it tastes like you are sucking wet peat dipped in Cayenne pepper. What I am trying to say is that I found this almost undrinkable it was so extreme. My lips puckered and burned, the back of my throat tightened.

My share of the bottle was poured into a 6 oz glass, I drank maybe 2 oz. If I took the tiniest of sips and nursed those two ounces over an entire day maybe I would have enjoyed it more. The half hour I actually spent drinking those two ounces was too much, too intense.

M: I do no know what to say about this, there was nothing wrong with the viscosity. But I actually found this mouth numbing. Did you ever get novocaine at the dentist and some of it drips on your tongue and burns and numbs at the same tie? It was like gargling with novocaine and napalm.

O: I suppose the brewers accomplished what they set out to do. It was certainly a memorable experience. It was an education in the extreme of what pure distilled alcohol infused bitter hop would taste like. I suggested to my friends that one or two DROPS of Sink the Bismarck in a regular IPA would probably add some nice flavor and complexity. Have you ever tasted vanilla extract, it is too much. But a few drops can make a delicious ice cream. Well this is the vanilla extract of beers and I found it undrinkable in this form.

Note: A few hours have past since my tasting and my mouth is still burning and numb. I hope I will be able to taste again. (2,190 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -61.9%

A bar in New Haven, CT was selling 1oz pours for $16. I've seen this being sold for as much as $24 per ounce so figured this would be the best price I could find and was intrigued with all the hype. This was served in a snifter.

A- Pours a deep amber color with no lacing or head

S- I barely got a chance to bring this up for a sip or sniff when it started burning my eyes. After a moment I was able to smell aromas similar to a whiskey or cognac but still with the unpleasant burning sensation

T- If pins and needles had a taste/flavor this is it. This brew burns from the moment it is placed in front of you. I've had some nice scotches, 18 yr old Oban and that was a fantastic burn. This is just way over the top and not enjoyable at all.

M- you guessed it, burning

Overall this is a brew I will run the other way from and try advise people not to order it. Yes I'm aware this brew reaches higher alcohol by freezing. BrewDog is just trying some wild marketing schemes to hide the fact that their regular beers suck. This is probably how they stay in business by charging triple digits for these brews. (1,110 characters)

What can I say, this is an amazing creation by the amazing men at Brew Dog. This beer is a masterpiece of milky malts and heavenly hops. It's nothing like I ever had before and saddened by the now scarcity. Seek this out, it's truly a treasure. (244 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of this, and I wound up sharing it with my friend (and a couple of his family members) on his wedding day last week.
I poured from the bottle into small snifters. Came out a gorgeously rich golden orange. Slight touch of bubbles and a hair or two of foam on the top, but only for a few seconds.
Smells a little alcoholy, but the hop aromas do come through.
Taste is a fiery blaze of sweet hoppiness- can feel tiny bubbles on the tongue. Burns all the way down, and warms you instantly.
All in all, it's pretty impressive. It's a sipper, but a good one. If you want to put a few hairs on your chest, this is how you should do it! (667 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.9%

After bringing us the polarizing Tactical Nuclear Penguin, Brewdog decide to make yet another extreme ABV beer. While I liked the TNP, it is a totally different brew to this - TNP tasted like something halfway to a whisky, simply tasting nothing like a typical beer, but StB! screams "beer!! beer!!" with every sip. Think over-the-top IPA and then concentrate that into a 41% beast, and that's more or less what you get here.

In appearance it's not astounding - unsurprisingly enough, there's no real head, but some carbonation does appear for a little while, then quickly disappear. Dark orange, light brown color, quite oily in appearance.

The smell is of hops, hops, hops. Not as strong as other DIPA's, but barely any of the alcohol content could be discerned. Not a complete hop-bomb, some fruity, malty characteristics do come out but it's mainly hops you'll be able to smell.

The taste is... astounding. Extremely strong, very bitter but very well balanced at the same time - loads of fruitiness and malts, with a little kick of alcohol. The alcohol is surprisingly indiscernible through the intensity of the hops. The hop character is quite bitter, not as aromatic as a standard DIPA, and leaves a quite oily mouthfeel, with tones of citrus near the end. Great stuff.

Feels great in your mouth as well - like said before, oily and very strong, does not evaporate in your mouth like something of this strength normally does. Drinkability is obviously not high due to the 41%, but once this is taken into account it is extremely drinkable for the ABV. I could easily take this stuff as a replacement for whisky or other hard licor, if only it weren't so expensive. Overall, an absolutely astounding and brilliant beer, and something which I'm hoping to get more of soon. A must-try. (1,792 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +20.6%

I was determined to say something disparaging about this beer, but it won me over. I thought the idea was silly, and would not represent beer. But the 'Bismark is a success.

Big thanks to EskimoDave and everyone else who attended. catered for, and brought drinks to a fantastic beer tasting in Victoria last night. The BrewDog special was the centrepiece of the tasting and it topped off a great evening.

My 2oz was a cloudy mid-orange/brown. It looked like an eggcup full of any other imperial IPA. The beer is "technically" carbonated. I counted 5 bubbles. The fizz registers on the tongue, but only very vaguely.

The nose is devastating. It smells like what it is, a massively distilled IPA. I suppose that under the circumstances, a badly balanced IPA would reveal its faults to the nth degree, but this smells fantastic. Rich rich bouquet of sticky hops -- almost eye burning.

It tastes like the soul of an IPA. It is resinous, sticky, very sweet, intensely aromatic, oily on the tongue, and able to fill your mouth and nose completely. It burns a little, but is not unrefined. I find comparisons to scotch completely erroneous. It is its own thing.

If you weren't into hoppy beers, or beers at all, I think this woud taste like some hideous experiment in wrongness. But as a lover of IPAs, I completely appreciated the beer, and cradled the glass long after it had departed, sniffing the last of the aroma greedily.

Great stuff. Very worthwhile, far in excess of my expectations of novelty. (1,504 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +36.7%

Quite nervous when i opened this one... Pours a wonderfull orange amber sunset beer. No head, looks liquorous, it smells like a wet hop nectar made by a Hopdevil. This taste like hopheads heaven, strong, hoppy, bitter, full of body. Some sweetness from the malt too. The after taste is long long long, full of aroma. This is still a beer, a 41 % beer! (351 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%

This is one hell of of a unique beer. The taste and smell are just out of this world.

However, this is definitely a beer for the special occasion. Not only is it very costly, but very syrupy and difficult to drink more than one.

I would still encourage anyone to try this beer if they have the opportunity. Not many people can say they have drank a beer with an ABV of 41% and not many people even know it is possible!

Again, I give this beer, like many BrewDog beers, a very high rating because I admire their work. I even had the chance to see this beer in the making at the brewery in Fraserburgh, Scotland! (615 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured into a small taster glass at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, I got to try this on two different occasions from two different bottles...

I'm saying it now, and I think that even the brewers at Brew Dog would agree: it's a gimmick. It is punk; and for that I love it...but it doesn't make for a good tasting 'beer.' Not even a good liquor, really...and I LOVE IPAs!! The problem is, when you freeze any liquid, the ice crystals that form can break down more complex aromatics and congeners that were present after the initial fermentation. So, in the case of Sink the Bismark! you've basically engineered a very strong, but very skunked IPA.

The NOSE is - as has been said/could have been guessed - incredibly hot and full of resinous, oily hops. Not much else. The heat from the alcohol doesn't really transfer to the palate in lieu of the thick, oily, SALTY and bitter pine that sticks to the side of your tongue and completely overwhelms most of your other senses. 82 proof, stale hop-oil. I honestly felt like I was tasting the inside of a 2-week old, room temperature Randall...that was full of salt.

If people can really get so much more out of this to call it, "complex,"...good for them. I'd love to be able to taste anything (or to enjoy this) myself, but I'm pretty sure that the real magic behind it is the fact that you're trying one of the craziest things to come out of any brewery. Ever.

Brew Dog, I salute you...

...but if I want to enjoy tasting your craft, I'll stick with the Hardcore IPA. (1,520 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +10.8%

While stronger than Tactical Nuclear Penguin, this beer is surprisingly drinkable for being so high in alcohol content. The hop-oils are so strong that they stand up to the smokiness from the barrels. Sink The Bismarck! may be categorized as "just a novelty", but I found it a rather enjoyable beverage, to be shared with friends. The appearance is a light amber with crazy long legs. It is like a slightly carbonated scotch or whiskey. The aromas are powerful and deep with hops and pepper, also hints of citrus and floral notes. Mouthfeel has heat like a whiskey from all the alcohol. More enjoyable than TNP, the hops are extreme! I appreciate the boldness of experimentation but am sad to see this beer being qualified as a spirit (for US Tax purposes) which will make sales difficult... (791 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a scotch snifter.

Appearance: Pours an amber-honey color with a foamy, short-lived head that is a unique golden-straw color.

Aroma: Sweet, mild smell of alcohol, heavy fruit notes (something like plums and dark cherries that are a bit overripe), and a straw or grass aroma a bit reminiscent of the foam sold in hobby shops for flower arrangements.

Taste: The most striking taste is a (to me) cloyingly sweet molasses flavor accompanied by the burn of alcohol such as in scotch or whisky. The sweetness is partially offset by a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Viscous, like watered down honey. Unique and quite a treat.

Drinkability: Obviously this beer is not made to be consumed in large quantities (save for by those with fat wallets, cast iron constitutions, and venerable alcohol tolerance). I had trouble getting through 2oz of it because of the sweetness.

Overall: A really fascinating beer experience, although now that I have the bragging rights that go along with trying it I probably won't be getting another. (1,035 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

The reason why I selected that I tried this beer on-tap is because I tried it straight from the tanks at the brewery a few days before its release.

This beer is simply amazing and it really breaks the boundaries when thinking about what a beer actually is.

Firstly you can smell the hops from this one at an arms length away. The first taste was a sweet maltiness which very quickly gave way to the resinous hop taste. This is probably quite easily the hoppiest beer I have had and I loved it.

It isnt a beer that you can drink all of in one night but thats why it comes with a stopper for the bottle.

This stuff wont be around for long and I cant wait to try it again. (674 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -38.3%

Had it at this new bar in new haven called cask republic.

A- Golden in color, slightly hazy.
S- The smell is very impressive, very strong alcohol aroma, almost burns the nostrils. Strong hop smell overpowered by alcohol.
T- Taste more like a scotch/wiskey than a beer prob due to the high alcohol content. I feel the taste can be duplicated if you mix 1 part vinegar, 1 part Sambuka, and 2 parts jameson.
M-thick and burns most of the way down
D-not easily drinkable, the snifter I had was plenty.

I feel that some people are trying to justify spending so much on this beer by giving it a good rating. I consider it a waste of money, just brewdog trying to make the highest alcohol content beer but sacraficing taste while doing so.

The best thing about this beer, in my opinion, is you can say you drank a beer with 41% alcohol.

Nothing against brewdog either. I had the brewdog/stone bashah for the first time that night and that was top notch. (950 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +33.9%

Received this as a birthday present from my girlfriend, she ordered it online... yes, I know, she is a definite keeper... Also, this review is:

Sink the Bismark!
Wisecracka ft. Enlight

A: A beautiful, opaque golden amber. No lacing or "head" due to the whopping 41% abv. There is a "watered down" look at the top of the beer and a color gradient that increases down the glass.

S: TAKE NO (HOPPY) PRISONERS. Hops conquer this smell, but it is still complex. It is a mixture of pine hop, fruit hop, a sweet semi-honey smell, and alcohol. Honestly, the alcohol smell is prominent, but it swirls around the combined smell of hops and sweetness. To those that are pure beer people, it will burn like sweet, cleansing fire.

T: The saga begins with pine hops, pine hops, oh beautiful pine hops. Then sweeps down the exceptional tag team of fruity semisweet, an almost honey-like taste mixed with fruity hops that both enforce and warp the dominating pine hop. Then big daddy alcohol joins the party like a sex crazed hell's angel with a broad steak of ethics and morality. It does not impose, but it reminds the drinker of their good fortune; that is, drinking this damn fine beer.

M: The mouthfeel is much like a fine liquor. It doesn't expand to fill the mouth, but it's not thin. It's fills a targeted, definite space on the palate. It is excellent for what the beer attempts to do; that is, be extreeeme.

D: Now i'm at an impasse. As Enlight sagely observes, "this is like an rpg (video game): low replay value, completion is hard won and highly enjoyed". To further the metaphor: Colt 45 has the same drinkability as Sink the Bismark!; however, Colt 45 is a $100-dollar-per-play-pong, while Sink the Bismark! is Final Fantasy 7. You can't keep replaying it over and over, but there is one that will always bring that special smile time and time again. As such, I award this beer with a 4.5 drinkability because I will happily and readily enjoy this beer when fortune favors me with it. (1,989 characters)

Holy shit....

Recieved a bottle as a gift from one of my loyal patrons at Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, Md.

First of all, a beer weighing in at 41% ABV should taste like a bag of assholes. Any spirit at that level is rarely consumed by itself, whether its vodka, gin, rum, tequila or whiskey...90% of the time there is always an ingredient used to open up the flavor of that spirit. Unless of course it's extremely good, otherwise something is used to cut the harshness of the boozy alcohol aroma and flavor. Yeah, um...not so much with the Bismark.

A-Head? Meh...I'm suprised there is any. However, some carbonation does indeed form. The body is reminiscent of scotch; deep amber in color, with golden highlights around the edges.

S-Boozy! Booze intertwined with high oil hops and caramel malt makes the aroma of this thing unparalleled.

T-Aggressive, in your face, jaw dropping good. Im absoluetly suprised to pick up any hop whatsoever, but I did, and I did in a big way. A few notes of caramel, toffee and smoke are present, but the boozy body stands tall and dominant. for what it is at 41%, the flavor is impressive.

M-Dry-hopped whiskey. A blanket of tingly liquor lays on your tongue, taking over your sense of taste. Your palate might become paralyzed for a few moments, but what other beer has that effect?

D-No, you can't drink a whole lot of this stuff. I only drank about 2oz worth, if I drank the whole 12oz bottle I would be dancing on the bar top with my pants down doing the Mick Jagger. But once again, appreciating for what it is, it is indeed drinkable, and enjoyable.

If you so happen to stumble across a bottle, don't hesitate on opening it, you want to get the hops while they're somewhat fresh. And I highly recommend you consume this with a friend or two. (1,795 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow.
A: Rich gold to amber hue. Pours like scotch with zero head.

S: My first words: "it actually smells good!" Big resinous hop aroma and a solid malty backbone evident. I was expecting a bigger version of Tactical Nuclear Penguin but it's an entirely different beast. Smells like the biggest IPA you ever sniffed.

T: Huge. The resinous hops hit you up front before a massive sweet malt kicks in, then the big boozy finish rounds it out. The burn from the alcohol is there but not in the way I'd expect from a scotch. Actually quite smooth. Epic, delicious, moorish.

M: Thick and sweet. Syrupy. Not much carbonation evident at all, maybe a slight tingle on the tongue.

O: Quite an epic beer. Pretty much the essence of IPA. It's like drinking the spirit from which all beer was made. If you've seen that Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse buy a squishy made entirely from syrup then you'll know what I mean.

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I sure like your pixie drink!

Happy Trizzle? (1,016 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Me and 3 friends all threw down to get a bottle. When you find out one of the strongest beers in the world is being sold in your town, you have to go for it. Knew we were in for something special when my nose tingled after opening it. Poured into a snifter with zero carbonation and zero head. It was more like drinking a strong scotch than anything else. Enough bite in the aroma to clear anyone's sinus'. Not sure if it's something I would go for again at $110 for a bottle. But is for sure an experience that i would recommend to others, just to say you did it. (564 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last