Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

I Hardcore You - BrewDog

I Hardcore YouI Hardcore You

rAvg: 4
BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: thepeter on 08-17-2010

What do you get if you blend Hardcore IPA and I Beat You together and then add even more dry hops?

I Hardcore You of course. This is the return, for a limited time only, of a beer which proved firm favourite with hop heads.

I Hardcore You is a 9.5% Imperial India Pale Ale. After blending these two awesome beers, the beer is then dry hopped another two times.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on-tap at the good old Local Option, beautifully poured into a tulip glass.

Pours with a nice, rocky, two finger white head that sticks around. The color is a dark copper red, with a haze that lets very little light through.

It smells like a sweet bountiful hop bouquet, with a very nice combination of piney, floral, and citrus aromas.

The brew tastes much like it smells with a dominant pine-hop profile that mixes some grapefruit, lemon, and other citrus notes as well. There is sweetness to the beer, most likely a result of the significant malt backbone to prop up the enormous hop presence. The sweetness is reminiscent of a possible milk sugar addition as well. Overall a very well balance beer considering the complexity of the concoction.

The mouthfeel is pretty awesome - smooth and silky, not much carbonation getting in the way. It works with the flavor profile perfectly. The mouthfeel could be the closest an ipa can come to a cream stout. It works for me.

Overall a delicious beer, but then again so Brew Dog's Hardcore IPA, one of the beers this brew is blended with, and in my opinion the most influential. I have not tried Mikkeller's I Beat You, but in appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel this beer matches Hardcore IPA down the line. I haven't tried the two together, but now I really want to.

I definitely recommend trying this if you can, but if it is to expensive or you can't find it, try Brew Dog's Hardcore IPA instead. (1,469 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Scooped a bottle of this stuff from Brawley's a few days ago. I was intrigued by the label, and I'm always a big fan of Mikkeller, so despite the $6.99 tag on the 12-ouncer, I went for it.

Poured it into a nice, large wine glass. I gave it a fairly aggressive pour in an attempt to really release the hops aromas and open the beer up. Maybe this is just superstition...whatever.

Ended up forming a huge, frothing two-finger head that took its time receding down the sides of the glass. The color seemed to be slightly darker than most of the Double IPAs I've had in the past. It had hues of dark gold and actually was slightly reddish as well. Very pretty.

The head receded fully, leaving a good amount of sticky lacing on the glass (much to my delight). I took a big whiff, just digging my nose in there and really trying to fill up the nostrils. I was almost knocked on my ass with the amount of hopes that filled my nose. I feel like, smell-wise, this may be the hoppiest beer I've ever had.

Finally, I take a small swig. Indeed, the smell rings true, and my mouth is now bursting with bitter, fresh, hoppy delight. I literally love the way this beer tastes, and I don't think it could get much better. I'm certainly not as technical as many reviewers on here, but I know what I like: HOPS. This beer provides it.

Mouthfeel's good. Perfect balance of carbonation and sticky texture that leaves an excellent aftertaste in my mouth, an element that I feel is underrated.

I could only drink one of these per sitting. Then again, I could only afford one of these per...year. So, this doesn't seem to be too much of a tragedy.

I really enjoyed this beer. I will say this: If you like hops, drink it FRESH. I thought about cellaring this baby for a couple months, but after posting in the forum, I was convinced that I should crack it immediately. I definitely don't regret that decision. (1,895 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow. Brew Dog and Mikkeller have yet to disappoint!

Appearance is like a double should be; a nice golden amber that is slightly clouded. Nicely carbonated and appears thick.

Smell is sweet, quite sweet and bitter with deep caramel notes.

Taste is fantastically well done. The bitter hop and the sweet barely both pop out of the thick-caramel like a west coast IPA with a nice amount of carbonation.

The mouthfeel is quite full upfront but becomes slightly dry at the tail.

Overall, I would have this IPA again. It's a great beer, but I'm not sure about the price. (569 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -38.8%

Appearance: A very tiny amount of white head (can be typical of a beer this high in alcohol) and a rich amber orange color with little to no haze.

Smell: Nothing too powerful on the nose. Subtle hints of floral and piney hops with some lingering caramel.

Taste: Two things stand out immediately in the taste: alcohol and acidic bitterness. Coupled with that are some hints of pineyness and subtle burnt caramel. Quite disappointed in the flavor. While Mikkeller in my experience is usually not amazing, it has never been below average... until now.

Mouthfeel: Sharp carbonation (in my opinion too much) and light to medium bodied.

Can't say that I'd recommend this beer to anyone. I'm a huge fan of IPAs and Imperial IPAs and this one fell short of being even acceptable. Brewdog facilities and/or staff must have done something to this beer because I just looked back at my rating of Mikkeller's I Beat You and it got close to a 4. (937 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Coppery orange color. Pretty hazy. Thin head.

S: Primary smell is citrus hops. Grapefruit. Then some lighter fruit like Apple or pear. Pale malts - Sweet bready smell.

T: Surprisingly, Hops are not the first thing I noticed. Malty sweetness is the primary flavor. Bready, biscuity. Hops are of grapefruit and come across as very juicy. Hops are definitely there but much more subdued and not as hop forward as I expected (for a DIPA). This is actually a pretty balance IPA -- take that however you want.

M: Medium body. Little bit of carbonation. Not too dry. Pretty smooth.

D: For my preferences, this is very drinkable. The smell is very fruity which I like and the hop bitterness is there but relatively mellow. I don't feel like this is going to burn a hole through the roof of my mouth. This might leave some wanting more but for me this is real good. (883 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Murky dark amber with a thin white head. No lacing to speak of.

S- A good mix of caramel and pine. Layered, but not delineated.

T- A shot of caramel on entry and through the mid palate. A quick and slightly clumsy transition to intense bitter hops.

M- Nice, but a bit muddled. It has some oily quality, but is still crisp and clean. A little confused.

O- Very good IPA/DIPA. I enjoy I beat You much more, but the regular hardcore IPA a little less. Would buy again. (475 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Amber color with white head.

Caramel sweetness with lots of grapefruit. Hops is quite obvious yet not overpowering

Taste is outrageous pefection. One of the best imperial IPA I have ever had. Knowing this is from Brewdog/Mikkeller made it extra special.

Thick sweet hoppiness with more gravity than a traditional IPA. Booze is subtle with this brew.

Overall this is a super Imperial/Double IPA. Store only had one so I jumped on it. So wished there were more... (506 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a bottle (I think the only way it is available) at a restaurant into a tulip and at home into a tulip, a pint glass, and an Arrogant Bastard glass. Recommend a tulip to enjoy the intense aroma.

A - Dark and hazy for an IPA, pours with a dense and long-lasting head.

S - Hops! Extremely strong pine and citrus hops and a lot of malty sweetness, too. This is a very aromatic beer, consistent with the already hoppy components and extra dry hopping. As you can tell from the smell, it needs to be drunk fresh!

T - Hops again! The malts are less pronounced than the smell indicates, but they are still present and give the beer a decent balance. The taste tends toward the I Beat You rather than the Hardcore, in my opinion, but without the somewhat overly aggressive maltiness that comes with the I Beat You. This combination clearly does a service to both beers. The finish is long and bitter.

M - Dense with mild carbonation.

O - Pricey but worth trying more than once. I buy it whenever I see it, and mourn the day that it disappears. This is a phenomenal collaboration from two phenomenal breweries, and in my opinion it outshines the two already good beers from which it is derived. (1,201 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle to a pint glass. A hazy orange/copper color with a thin white head that faded rather quickly, this seems contrary to other reviews here. Minimal lacing.

A nice smelling beer, very perfumery, flowery, and herbal. Sweet smelling like caramel or even burnt sugar, mild yeast aroma.

This is about the most flavorful DIPA I've ever had. Follows the nose pretty closely. A lot of herbal tea flavors, rose hips really stand out, definitely a burnt sugar and yeast flavor, could be overly sweet but all those hops really take over in the end. That being said the hops really dont overpower anything else going on here, pretty well balanced if you know going in that you're getting a lot of hops. This is a very flavorful, complex beer and definitely a sipper. Nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Haven't had either of the beers that his one is based on so I can't speak to how it compares and what beer stands out here but I did very much enjoy this for what it was. Don't think there is much I'd want to change here. (1,047 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a beautiful copperish amber color with a short head
Pungent layers of citrus and pine hoppiness from the nose
Beautiful complexity and balance in the mouth. Fruity notes brought to life with hoppy, piney, beautiful bitterness
Great, smooth mouthfeel
Very nice beer! (272 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

9/20/10 - 12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

Appearance- Orangish Amber in color with a good 2 inch head after being poured. Great lacing and head that sticks around for a while.

Smell- Awesome. Smells super fresh. Citrus and grapefruit, with a little alcohol sweetness in it.

Taste- A bit dissapointing to me after the aroma, a grassy dandelion bitterness to it. I can't identify my hop varieties very well, but tastes very similar to what they used in Sink the Bismarck.

Mouthfeel- Syrupy. Not as bubbly as I would have thought with the amount of carbonation it seemed to have from the pour.

Drinkability- For a 9.5% brew, very drinkable. Not my favorite IPA ever, but pretty solid. Tastes a lot like a much lighter and less concentrated version of Sink the Bismarck. All the same flavors going on, just less potent. (824 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

Everytime I drink this beer I give thanks I ordered 24 bottles of it, and am sad I didn't order more.

A - nice thick head, orangey amber translucent and cloudy. This beer says "I will be delicious"

S - fruity grassy hops backed up by a heavy malt body with some more hops standing at the back cracking their knuckles.

T - BAM. Malt. Then some hops. Then more malt, some hops and some more hops. That's just up front. Through the finish there's some citrus, hops and more hops carried through the finish by a lovely malty base. And some hops. All delicious. There's a lot going on with this beer without it becoming overwhelming. Pleasingly complex. Unlike, say, the dogfish 120 the hops aren't the only thing here.

M - Surprisingly unthick, considering everything going on flavour wise. Full bodied but not cloying, the carbonation cuts through things nicely.

D - It's 9.2%. It's delicious. I suspect after 3 or 4 330ml bottles I might start to struggle but I've had to stop myself at 2 to conserve stocks and have always wanted more. (1,043 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 330mL bottle into Tulip glass. Bottling date unknown.

Appearance (4.5) - Rich amber and only translucent when help up to the light. Very deep and thick color saturation for the style. Caramel red. One and a half finger head dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing.

Smell (4.5) - Complex aroma of rich, balanced hops, and malt. Lemon poppyseed. Pine. Sweet cherry truffles, toffee, and strawberry rhubarb. Orange, cinnamon, and clove. Booze is forward, and alcohol notes are very detectable, but an enticing smell overall.

Taste (3.5) - Huge flavor - primarily orange peel, aromatic bitters, and dense dried fruits with a touch of dark rum and grand marnier. Leather and tobacco flavors add earthiness to the mix. Enjoyable, but meaty and palate-bruising.

Mouthfeel (3.0) - Rough hop bitterness scrapes the tongue, extremely dry with a full, viscous body. Pretty formidable.

Overall (3.5) - A complex and really interesting beer, definitely a different take on the IIPA. Its rich and complex character is engaging and the overall product is well balanced. Very enjoyable, though with a heavy bitterness, and a slightly medicinal note. Beefy, layered, and thought-provoking, but perhaps not a frequent repeat. (1,221 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Poors a nice dark golden color, lots of hops, citrus and caramelly malt on the nose. Taste is a little disappointing as it not as hoppy as the smell would have you think it is. Over a good beer, but my preference would be for the hops to come through a bit more. (262 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a deep amber beer in my mikkeller glass. Beautiful beige head, compact and creamy. The nose is full of aroma, hops, flowers, the dry hopping has done a very good job here.

The taste is awesome, hoppy, strong with a very good bitterness.
You can clearly recognize the hardcore IPA and the I Beat yoU ipa from mikkeller. this is a e exceptional blend more than a collaboration brew.
the After taste is as good as the mouthfeel itself.

Good work. (452 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After the pour into a Dogfish Head signature glass, cloudy appearance with very little aroma, two-fingers head. One sip quickly erased any doubts created by the lack of aroma. Great balance and in my mind it's an improved 90 Min IPA. Great hop character. Smooth mouthfeel. Would buy again. (289 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16%

Purchased in a bottle in Melbourne, Australia.

We're not really loving it. Feels like we're not drinking beer anymore but have gone onto the spirits. A visual resemblance to cognac -- clear, welcomingly golden and bubble-less. No head. Looks like a gem, and despite a mouthful of hops it's still, somehow, not a beer.

Smells beautifully of hops, but with burnt orange, rum and brandy it nearly overpowers the hops. We're not sure this combination really works.

First taste is strong hops. Then it's oddly sweet with hints of marmalade -- but this dominates the bitterness, giving it an almost tart feel.

An aftertaste of marmalade. Murder to the wallet. (659 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Paired with a Bolivar Royal Corona.

Pours a deep amber red with a big white head. Smells of grapefruit and piney hops, which is exactly how it tastes. Get a hint of caramel, but whoa this needs more malt to balance out the hops.

This is a blend of two European beers that I haven't tried, so I can't compare to the originals. Seems like a take on the big American DIPA, but nothing really groundbreaking here.. (412 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Got a bottle from Johnny's Off License in Rome.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber/orange, quite hazy. Even though clarity was poor, I do appreciate the color of this brew. It's capped with a nice, fluffy head of off-white bubbles. Mostly very fine foam, some larger bubbles. It immediately begins sticking to the glass, leaving some nice patches.

Aroma: Quite hoppy, definitely some tropical fruit in there, a bit of citrus, but balanced by a good amount of pine and even a little herbal, minty character. The hops seem balanced, with no single overwhelming aroma. There is definitely a bit of sweet malt backbone underlying that hoppy character.

Taste: Whoa. Definitely not what I was expecting from a blend of two hoppy beers from two brewers who like hops. The taste really leads with some sweet maltiness. Almost tastes like a sweet Belgian malt profile, with caramel, toffee, and a little vanilla extract flavor. The hops come in surprisingly late, and are quite subdued compared to the nose. The fruitiness is toned down, and seem a bit less complex than in the aroma. Some floral and light fruity character is balanced with some good pine. The pine seems to be the only part that matches the nose. The hops also seem a little dry, earthy, spicy. Alcohol is pleasantly hidden, especially when the beer is still chilled. As it warms, perhaps a bit peeks through, but for 9.5%, it is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Decently full, a little oily, really coats the mouth. Carbonation is moderate to moderately low. It feels like a full, rich DIPA that really coats the mouth.

Overall: A surprisingly malty DIPA, with a sweet malt profile and a subdued hop profile. The hops are varied, and actually balance well with the maltiness. It is surprisingly balanced and drinkable, while boasting a 9.5% ABV. (1,802 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Acquisition: 02.24.2015 @ Bottle Bar, Frankford Ave - PHL 19125

When I first poured this beer I quickly realized it was too cold. This beer really warmed up to me as it warmed up.

(Appearance) - Chill haze, red / orange glow, initial head is decent although diminished to 1/4", lacing minimal. Tight bubbles bottle conditioned carbonation.

(Aroma) - Very Nice. Big fruit, possible Amarillo, peachy, held almost till the end. Typical for the style although I bet a rare treat for the Scottish, IMO.

(Flavor) - Very Nice. Taste like an award winning home-brew. Malt to Hop balance is really nice. Perfect front end bitterness with a candied malt, possible long boil time as apposed to specialty grains. Nice weight in the mouth, malt sticks around without seaming sweet. Alcohol is present, although smooth for 9.5.

I enjoyed this beer although I did feel foolish paying $9.00 for one bottle of IIPA. The price was expected although if your on a budget you can purchase two other IIPA's and are not missing out. (1,017 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

The appearance is a golden color with an orange/red hue. It pours with a fluffy off-white heads that fades quickly leaving behind a ton of lacing. The aroma is very nice with a hoppy initial nose followed by a malty backbone. The taste is very similar, with the hops covering your mouth at first but then being balanced by the nice malts. The finish is still bitter but it trails off nicely and leaves you with a great taste in your mouth. (439 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - unfortunately drank from a bottle.

S - definitive hop smell, improved as the beer warmed. Heavy grapefruit smell.

T - very hop forward, hints of cucumber as the carbonation hits the tounge. The aftertaste is citrusy, with a light tang that fades to a slow burn.

M - leaves a light coating on the mouth, easy carbonation.

O - a fairly big beer, but easily sippable. Not a deep summer beer, but definitely a spring or fall one. (433 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a nice gold-amber color with a slight red hue. Nice full bodied white head. Slightly viscous.

S: Great smell. Citrus, malty, and of course, hops. Beautiful floral hops smell.

T: It's an Imperial IPA and it tastes like one. Great hop flavor. Bitter, but like it should be. Great high carbonation level. Alcohol taste, but smooth, followed by bitter hops, followed by malty sweet character. Very nice, very drinkable (especially for 9.5 ABV).

M: Syrupy viscosity, thick mouthfeel. Nice for an IIPA of it's type. Carbonation level adds a nice feel to it as well.

Overall a great beer. Complexity is nice without being difficult to drink. Wish I bought more than one bottle! (683 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On Draft at Meddlesome Moth. Served in a tulip glass.

A- Copper. Little head that dissapeared quickly. Very little lacing. Clear as day

S - I'm getting caramel and citrus

T - Candied sugar and bitterness blend well

M - Smotth. No alcohol burn

This tasted better the more it warmed up. I'd definitely let it sit a bit before drinking. (338 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +11%

12oz. Cooper ale. Thick lasting foam head. Citrus/herbal nose & oily tongue. Lasting bitter takes on more subtlties as it warms; very nice with great balance. Alcohol takes the backstage to the huge hops & malts needed to make them. Still way more multi-dememsional than most DIPAs out there. (292 characters)

I Hardcore You from BrewDog